(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 373 of 487.
#18601 4 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

The Popadiuks of Hazzard.
Now THAT would be a great pin.

Lol

#18602 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

And now that we're a year past the nuclear meltdown of zidware, apparently all of the work there HAS been proven worthless, no one has been able to figure out a way to save it, and the much hyped mystery prototype was exposed as completely lackluster.

At this point we won't know if there is any value it what was done until this gets to bankruptcy and this stuff gets auctioned off. While it is possible something will come of it at that point, it is certainly hard to see that. So many dumb decisions (like custom cabinet, playfield glass, etc.) that could make the rest of what is there unusable in any form. Certainly he 'alpha' that was out the NW show, did not exactly provide support that there is value in what was done. Unfortunately even if some of this did see the light of day in some form, that will do nothing for those who have lost their money.

#18603 4 years ago

John's been spending time on his website again.

http://www.zidware.com/inventor/index.html

Interestingly, the C2C interview links are now gone.

The rest of the self felating press links are there, like his favorite, "The Next Steve Job's of Pinball?".

#18604 4 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

The Popadiuks of Hazzard.
Now THAT would be a great pin.

With the Jackass theme incorporated.....

#18605 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

You forgot to add "mindless bashing by those not involved" as another successful Pinside stratagem.

That's a great argument, if you don't have money at risk you shouldn't say anything.

'Mindless bashing' that's why John didn't build the games.

StevenP was the saying the games were 95% complete and he was the eyes on the ground so he decieved us into thinking the games were very close to being complete.

#18606 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

John's been spending time on his website again.
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/index.html
Interestingly, the C2C interview links are now gone.
The rest of the self felating press links are there, like his favorite, "The Next Steve Job's of Pinball?".

Note: store is empty, only magic girl had a click able link in games, and pin development is 404'd, just as it should be

#18607 4 years ago

When the cabinet hinges are auctioned off, I hope to be the winning bidder.

#18608 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

When the cabinet hinges are auctioned off, I hope to be the winning bidder.

I'm going for the spiked leg bolts....... those will look good on SOF

#18609 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

I'm going for the spiked leg bolts....... those will look good on SOF

Until they impale your kid in the eye ....

rd

#18610 4 years ago

I heard 95% done by a few close to the project! Bunch of BS. Exposed for where they really were.....no where

#18611 4 years ago

I still find John a very talented and unique pinball designer, my personal fave as I've expressed before. It's a shame there as been such turbulence around these new games which in my opinion have all looked amazing. If there is a will there is a way. The Pinball Inventor has nothing else to prove but make nice pin games. He will come through in the end...

#18612 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

He will come through in the end...

Indeed he is -- but don't forget to wipe and then flush him.

#18613 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

I still find John a very talented and unique pinball designer, my personal fave as I've expressed before. It's a shame there as been such turbulence around these new games which in my opinion have all looked amazing. If there is a will there is a way. The Pinball Inventor has nothing else to prove but make nice pin games. He will come through in the end...

Ever wonder why Stern or JJP never hired him?
The other designers and engineers @ WMS had to step in to finish the games he did design to make them function.
I have a better chance of becoming the next pope than John does of ever completing and bringing a game to market.

#18614 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Has he ever finished anything?

#18615 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Has he ever finished anything?

He's been known to finish a cup of coffee on occasion. These days he's probably finishing a bowl of ramen.

#18616 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

I want want he's on ^^

#18617 4 years ago

"95% done", shouldn't take much longer, right?

#18618 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

I want want he's on ^^

Many were on it until their prescriptions ran out. They all said the same things when they sent in their moneys. This guy's just a little late to the party.

#18619 4 years ago

The more I read into this it reminds me of the RAM Controls debacle from years ago. Maybe that's where john got his influence from.

#18620 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

That whole post was a joke right?

#18621 4 years ago

I told you his supporters are still out there!

Bat shit crazy.

#18622 4 years ago

John was a great ideas guy, but it takes more than ideas to build a game. You need people like John and Python to work up great plans and ideas but then hand it over to someone who understands how to make games. Python seems like he understood this but John was so full of himself and delusional that he doors not.

If you had a pinball company and locked John in a trunk like the gimp in pulp fiction and then only pay by usable idea then perhaps you could function. Anything else would be poison.

Honestly the best thing about John's games was the zombie yetti artwork, without this they would have looked way less professional. Mg looked like John's greatest hits smashed into one game, raza seemed to be better off, but the layout was kinda goofy and I wondered how well it would have shot....Well for a few shots until all the plastic parts cracked.

-c

#18623 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Honestly the best thing about John's games was the zombie yetti artwork, without this they would have looked way less professional. Mg looked like John's greatest hits smashed into one game, raza seemed to be better off, but the layout was kinda goofy and I wondered how well it would have shot....Well for a few shots until all the plastic parts cracked.

Yeah, I don't think John would have been able to buy the years of quiet from his owners without the ZY bread crumbs he kept dropping for us.

Even at the end, he kept going back to the ZY well, to try and buy more time.

I guess because that was the one thing he kind of knew how to do, art direction. Although with an unlimited budget and no deadlines, for endless revision.

#18624 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I heard 95% done by a few close to the project! Bunch of BS. Exposed for where they really were.....no where

They were likely folks who were just as clueless as John as far as what it really takes to get a pinball machine into production. So they may have thought it was 95% done, based on having no real experience in the matter, and drinking John's kool aid. The devil is the details, seeing a machine with a playfield, plastics, flippers and backglass can certainly look like it is really close, when in reality, it is was not even half way there, probably not a even a third, based on the fact there was so little software. Although, lets be honest, based on what we have seen from NW show, it is hard to see how anyone who knows anything about pinball could think it was anywhere near 95%.

Look at TBL, they had a complete looking game in less than a year from the announcement (and one that certainly seemed more complete then Magic Girl was at NW show), and I'm, sure some folks looked at it and said "oh, they are 90% there, just need more software". And it is more than a year later, so they have now had twice the amount of time, and not sure they are even at 90% now. And of course this is a team of folks working TOGETHER.

#18625 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

They were likely folks who were just as clueless as John as far as what it really takes to get a pinball machine into production. So they may have thought it was 95% done, based on having no real experience in the matter, and drinking John's kool aid. The devil is the details, seeing a machine with a playfield, plastics, flippers and backglass can certainly look like it is really close, when in reality, it is was not even half way there, probably not a even a third, based on the fact there was so little software. Although, lets be honest, based on what we have seen from NW show, it is hard to see how anyone who knows anything about pinball could think it was anywhere near 95%.
Look at TBL, they had a complete looking game in less than a year from the announcement (and one that certainly seemed more complete then Magic Girl was at NW show), and I'm, sure some folks looked at it and said "oh, they are 90% there, just need more software". And it is more than a year later, so they have now had twice the amount of time, and not sure they are even at 90% now. And of course this is a team of folks working TOGETHER.

image_(resized).jpeg

#18626 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

And it is more than a year later, so they have now had twice the amount of time, and not sure they are even at 90% now. And of course this is a team of folks working TOGETHER.

Part of that time was spend on re-doing artwork that wasn't approved, sound/music that wasn't approved. they also took the prototype split boards and combined them into large single piece PCB's. I thought the same thing, but there's a lot of work behind the scenes that has nothing to do with code (but is a part of it) that most people don't notice (or wouldn't know unless they tilted up the playfield). I believe there's photos on pinball news somewhere.

#18627 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Part of that time was spend on re-doing artwork that wasn't approved, sound/music that wasn't approved. they also took the prototype split boards and combined them into large single piece PCB's. I thought the same thing, but there's a lot of work behind the scenes that has nothing to do with code (but is a part of it) that most people don't notice (or wouldn't know unless they tilted up the playfield). I believe there's photos on pinball news somewhere.

I was not specifically talking bout just code, but that is what many folks thought was 'all that is needed'. My point being that while on the outside a game could look 'almost done', to the uninitiated, the reality is, it is far from it. My reference to TBL was on how many thought "oh, it is almost done", when in reality it was not even close, for all of the reasons you just mentioned and plenty more.

Those going to John's shop and saying "it's 95% done", in most cases, had no real basis for being able to make that assertion.

Heck, despite being at Williams for as long as he was, it is clear John has no real basis either.

#18628 4 years ago

I went to log onto the RAZA blog today and all I got was a 404 error, I'm glad I went back last year and took a screen shot of every blog post John ever made because they are all gone now and in my opinion they are valuable evidence!

image_(resized).png

image_(resized).png

#18629 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I went to log onto the RAZA blog today and all I got was a 404 error, I'm glad I went back last year and took a screen shot of every blog post John ever made because they are all gone now and in my opinion they are valuable evidence!

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

I just checked and the site is still up for me. Maybe Wordpress was down for a few minutes?

#18630 4 years ago

For comparison, think about how done TBL appeared at Expo 2014 compared to MG at NW 2015. One felt complete while the other was a prototype but with final art. And TBL hasn't shipped yet. Scaling that to MG, even if it had been saved, when would it have shipped? 2018?

That was a big reason I wanted nothing to do with saving it. You could develop entirely new pins in the same amount of time! Why does MG deserve 6 years of dev time, and who the f**k would hire Jpop (his real goal, clearly) when you can hire Dr Flash with no baggage and get one game a year?

#18631 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

For comparison, think about how done TBL appeared at Expo 2014 compared to MG at NW 2015. One felt complete while the other was a prototype but with final art. And TBL hasn't shipped yet. Scaling that to MG, even if it had been saved, when would it have shipped? 2018?
That was a big reason I wanted nothing to do with saving it. You could develop entirely new pins in the same amount of time! Why does MG deserve 6 years of dev time, and who the f**k would hire Jpop (his real goal, clearly) when you can hire Dr Flash with no baggage and get one game a year?

Aren't u on vaca

See ya soon in Dallas.
Hey, did u get my response to your question last week-ish?

#18632 4 years ago

Yes I'm on vacation but still lots of waiting around down time

And no, I didn't get your response re that thing I asked about. Shoot me an email?

#18634 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yes I'm on vacation but still lots of waiting around down time
And no, I didn't get your response re that thing I asked about. Shoot me an email?

Yup. Sent email. I'm avail.
Most people put me in spam after the 1st few emails

#18635 4 years ago

Oh yeah you did. Guess I should actually read my email more often.

#18636 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Oh yeah you did. Guess I should actually read my email more often.

Not when you're on vaca

#18637 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Still up and reminding us of John's fantasies.....

Screen_Shot_2016-02-09_at_9.06.06_PM_(resized).png

#18638 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I just checked and the site is still up for me. Maybe Wordpress was down for a few minutes?

Well I'll be darned I just tried again and got into the blog, I wonder if this means my game will be shipping soon?

#18640 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video

I got my money taken by JPOOP... but it's OK, cuz' I'm on vacation!!

#18641 4 years ago

Yep, vacation is supposed to be all about "down time"! That's the point.

#18643 4 years ago

This thread makes me miss the good old days.

shut-up-and-take-my-money_(resized).jpg

#18644 4 years ago

I have to step away from my computer cause half way in to my Makers Mark on the lanai looking over the ocean to Molokai and thinking about the absolute bullshit and waste of time and money this project was. 95 fucking percent done!! Where's the ball go here john", "I don't know yet but will figure this out soon" WTF. Don't you figure out where the ball goes before you build a machine or design one anyway. There is no way anyone could look at this machine and say 95% done. Bullshit more like 9.5% done .....Thanks for the 9.5% Zombie cause the rest was a bucket of bolts as far as i was concerned oh my gotta go in the water and cool off.

#18645 4 years ago

And Ice type A's don't have down time on holiday they just get up at 5 and make an excuse its for golf! Then go bang an fing ball around a 300 dollar a round golf course and I still think a better waste of money than this bull shit

#18646 4 years ago

If I lost this money, I'd take a working vacation to jpoops trailer.

#18647 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

If I lost this money, I'd take a working vacation to jpoops trailer.

My loss is yours...brother

#18648 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This thread makes me miss the good old days.

shut-up-and-take-my-money_(resized).jpg

It looks like it came down to this instead...

image_(resized).jpeg

#18649 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

My loss is yours...brother

I'm on my way to Hawaii now to console you and we can laugh and cry in our beers together . Can you pick me up from the airport?

One of these days we will meet up brother Bill. At least you have a life story to tell right? Wtf, can't take it with you anyhow.

People need to appreciate your efforts, I do, despite my advice not to do it. Sometimes passion and type A take over. I get it!

#18650 4 years ago

shut_up_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
5,000 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Woodbridge, CT
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 373 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside