(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 486.
#1801 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

The amount of negativity, wrong information spoken as facts, and just plain bullshit is sickening.

Caused by the information void.

Most of the people speaking up here are owners. If there is a lot of wrong info, it's a sad state of where we're at.

#1802 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Most of the people speaking up here are owners. If there is a lot of wrong info, it's a sad state of where we're at.

Heh.

I would also note there was nothing specifically pointed out. I'd personally like to know what's wrong information. I think people just don't want it to be true.

#1803 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Wow
The amount of negativity, wrong information spoken as facts, and just plain bullshit is sickening.
DRAIN topic
Good luck ladies and gents

I think it should be obvious by now that anyone who is in on any of the JPop pre-orders have to have thick skin and be able to take things in stride.

I'm confused by which post resulted in you suddenly becoming so upset that you feel the need to drain the thread?

#1804 4 years ago

How are the refunds being processed?

#1805 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm confused by which post resulted in you suddenly becoming so upset that you feel the need to drain the thread?

I was wondering the same. As frolic said, its mostly owners on here speaking facts.

#1806 4 years ago

Let's say that MG turns out to be simply unbelievable and people are lining up to get one...
John's going to say "No"? Like he doesn't need more cash? At the very least, more cash could afford him to hire someone else to do some of the real work, while he does what he wants in "artistic inventor-world".

#1807 4 years ago

I'd like to know what of the following is factually incorrect.

I'm going to speak to RAZA since that is the game I'm in on, can't speak for MG:

-The owners package had a 2 year schedule ending with game delivery Q4 2013.
-There has never been an update to that schedule since
-Multiple owners have pleaded for some sort of updated schedule
-John basically ignores all questions he doesn't want to answer
-Even though the game is 1 year late (so far), the owners have seen very little and have no real idea of the state of it
-People such as pdx, that have posted about their shop visit, still gave a 3-year-wide window of when the game might possibly show up
-The game had a pretty serious theme shift over the course of development
-Our money seems to be held hostage, we've heard from multiple people who want refunds and cannot get them
-There apparently will be a super secret MG reveal this week that a few people will see
-No idea when anyone else will see it
-We have no idea how many machines his shop can produce at what time frame
-We see the difficulty the largest companies have with software and no idea how this will play with our games, or how much fun or deep the games will be.
-Everyone who has visited the shop is blown away by the artistry and craft on display
-The games will shoot well, have great ramps, ball tricks, toys and art package
-If we ever get our games, they will be impressive displays of modern pinball art
-Which brings us back to... WHEN? no idea.

Good enough summary for everyone?

#1808 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd like to know what of the following is factually incorrect.
I'm going to speak to RAZA since that is the game I'm in on, can't speak for MG:

Spot on for both projects. The only difference is RAZA owners occasionally comment on the forum. The MG blog is a wasteland.

In curious to know what errors were presented as facts also. I didn't see any errors.

#1809 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Let's say that MG turns out to be simply unbelievable and people are lining up to get one...
John's going to say "No"? Like he doesn't need more cash? At the very least, more cash could afford him to hire someone else to do some of the real work, while he does what he wants in "artistic inventor-world".

Cash, schmash...there's still no manufacturing plan. He can sell all the games he wants, but if he's building them with some guys and churning out 1 a week...this saga will still be all drama years from now.

#1810 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

-There apparently will be a super secret MG reveal this week that a few people will see
-No idea when anyone else will see it

Well, then that's not a "Rug Reveal" as has been touted.

#1811 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Our money seems to be held hostage, we've heard from multiple people who want refunds and cannot get them

When I signed up John told me you could get a refund anytime.How hard did these people try?

#1812 4 years ago

Give PDX some slack. He is in on MG and TBL. Rough week

#1813 4 years ago
Quoted from jruddr:

When I signed up John told me you could get a refund anytime.How hard did these people try?

There have been posts in this thread about it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6?tq=refund&tu

From reviewing those posts, we have:

-People that have gotten no response when asking for a refund
-People who were asked to sign a document signing away their claim to the game first, then going into a queue while a replacement person takes your place
-Waiting months or longer for someone to take your place

#1814 4 years ago

did the refund policy change, like the game?

#1815 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

did the refund policy change like the game?

I think for a long time there was a waiting list, so this was not an issue. As the game got more and more delayed, and less and less known about it online, the waiting list shrunk to nothing and now we're in the situation we're in.

#1816 4 years ago
Quoted from jruddr:

Several owners have tried to sell their spots on here, some at a loss, because John won't give refunds. The requests aren't even declined, John just doesn't even respond.

Owners have begged and pleaded on the owners forum for a refund and the requests are just ignored. We paid a lot of money up front, timelines were missed and then the communication slowed down and has nearly stopped. Now we have no games, no communication and no explanation.

I just checked and the last Jpop comment was 10-21.

#1817 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

did the refund policy change, like the game?

As far as I know, the refund policy never changed.

I don't remember the exact amount of time/dates, but the original deposit (made years ago) was fully refundable up to a certain date. After that date elapsed, refunds would no longer be available until that spot was sold. As Frolic said, originally there was a list of people waiting to get in, so even after that date, refunds were still not much of an issue.

As more time has elapsed, with little signs of this pin shipping any time soon (especially with MG nowhere to be found), combined with all the other new offerings coming out (including TBL etc), fewer people are on the wait list (if any) and people find themselves having to sell their spot in line themselves, usually without success.

If JPop was able to come through with an amazing "TBL effect rug reveal" with a fully working protype of MG, you'd probably have more people willing to take a chance on RAZA and buy a few of the spots from people who want refunds.

At some point, though, this is going to come to a head, and if more meaningful information isn't forthcoming in terms of when RAZA will be shipping, you will have more people getting to the point of *demanding* a refund (vs. "requesting" a refund) and that's where things could really start to go bad.

Frankly I think a lot is riding on MG and it's big "reveal" (some photos sent only to MG owners does not constitute a "TBL effect" reveal).

#1818 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Right now, john has half of the money for the Raza machines. Given the delays and cost increases that have resulted from the delays, at some point he will either need to pre-sell a fourth or fifth machine or he will need the other $500,000 from the Raza buyers.

I really hope no one is actually rooting for funding of initial games with money from later games.

#1819 4 years ago

There have been several references to Dec 17th (tomorrow) being the date of the big MG reveal. When did John say this and who did he say it to? Or is this just hearsay? Has there been any evidence that this is still the case?

#1820 4 years ago

Says dec 17 .. Hour and a half till then tomorrow is game reveal day if he sticks to it. Private reveal day that is

#1821 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Now we have no games, no communication and no explanation.

He's doing an MG reveal of some kind tomorrow. Some owners will be there to play MG in whatever stage its in.

He said he's doing a major progress update the first of January with RAZA.

All the gnashing of teeth in the world isn't going to change anything. He's obviously counting on what he shows to calm down the lynch mob! If its not good enough then it won't really matter because we aren't getting our funds back.

Bobby Knight once said, "if rape is inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it"

That said, have a little patience people, the tables will be turned very soon, he is going to have to ask for more $$$ soon, my guess is right after these "reveals". That's when the rubber meets the road.

#1822 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I just spoke with a real MG owner, and he doesn't have a clue what is happening. He's completely in the dark.
If there is something going on this week, I guess the game will be shown to a few people at the shop, but this is not much of a reveal.

Looks like not even all the MG owners invited.

When does the public get to see?

#1823 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Private reveal day that is

A private reveal is not a "TBL effect rug reveal". Not even close.

#1824 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

A private reveal is not a "TBL effect rug reveal

depends on which rug reveal.. the public one at expo, or the one upstairs that only VIP's got to see

#1825 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That said, have a little patience people, the tables will be turned very soon, he is going to have to ask for more $$$ soon, my guess is right after these "reveals". That's when the rubber meets the road.

I forgot that he still has to ask for more money from you guys soon.

That's when things are really going to get interesting. The good news is that for anyone to pay up, it means that he has provided some meaningful information to give a certain degree of confidence to make that additional payment. Right?

#1826 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

When does the public get to see?

The way it's looking?......

when pigs fly.jpg

#1827 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

depends on which rug reveal.. the public one at expo, or the one upstairs that only VIP's got to see

Speaking as an ex-VIP who was upstairs at the party, we didn't see anything the public didn't. It was just an excuse to drink and hang out. The games were there and on, but same as downstairs, and honestly they didn't even get played a ton, people were socializing more than playing.

#1828 4 years ago

At this stage of the game, "privacy" and "confidentiality" are a joke. The only chance he has is to start revealing some great shit.

If he doesn't, its one of the worst PR moves ever.

#1829 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I forgot that he still has to ask for more money from you guys soon.
That's when things are really going to get interesting. The good news is that for anyone to pay up, it means that he has provided some meaningful information to give a certain degree of confidence to make that additional payment. Right?

Actually there are some of us that are paid up as we are supposed to be. I have VERY little left to send before the game ships.... (last tiny-tidbit payment). The game is to be in final construction before that one goes.

#1830 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I mean he's going to have to not only show some great stuff but he's going to have convince people HOW and WHEN he is going to be able to build these pins.

We already know they are gonna be cool as shit stuffed to the hilt and a thing of beauty. That's not nearly good enough.

Who's the "project manager", like I said, HOW and WHEN.

#1831 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Speaking as an ex-VIP who was upstairs at the party, we didn't see anything the public didn't. It was just an excuse to drink and hang out. The games were there and on, but same as downstairs, and honestly they didn't even get played a ton, people were socializing more than playing.

The only way for John to even come close to having a "TBL effect rug reveal" is to do it publicly. The very essence of the "TBL effect rug reveal" is the fact that is was public and everyone got to see it, touch it, play it, take pictures of it, post it on Pinside, make huge write ups about it on Pinball news web sites, talk about it on all the podcasts, etc...

The Big Lebowski public reveal at Expo has set the bar for ALL future pinball reveals.

#1832 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

The Big Lebowski public reveal at Expo has set the bar for ALL future pinball reveals.

Yup. It's a pity things took a turn for the worse afterwards, and think what you will about Phil, but he threw one hell of a coming out event. Whole damn place was buzzing about it. Lines at least 6 people deep in front of all three machines, while games like The Hobbit were easy to just get next on from whoever was playing them.

The party was brilliant. As I said, nothing "new" was revealed, but that's how you get people sucked in and feeling like they're part of something. I can't lie, it worked on me!

If you don't make it public it's not a "rug reveal", period.

#1833 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

There have been several references to Dec 17th (tomorrow) being the date of the big MG reveal. When did John say this and who did he say it to? Or is this just hearsay? Has there been any evidence that this is still the case?

John's post stated that he had set a date to show Magic Girl "on a rug" for mid December... that time is pretty much here. The tone in his posts at the time seemed to be that he wanted to have the "shock and awe" of TBL showing at Expo. Optimism would say that his silence is part of the buildup to the showing. Pessimism seems to be more the theme of the thread recently however.

#1834 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Who's the "project manager", like I said, HOW and WHEN.

I would love to know the answer to this, because it's starting to sound like that was a line to get us off his back. I never heard another mention of this project manager ever again.

#1835 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

The only way for John to even come close to having a "TBL effect rug reveal" is to do it publicly. The very essence of the "TBL effect rug reveal" is the fact that is was public and everyone got to see it, touch it, play it, take pictures of it, post it on Pinside, make huge write ups about it on Pinball news web sites, talk about it on all the podcasts, etc...

i felt sorry for jpop, in a pathetic kind of way, with his expo reveal. i hope he learned from that disaster.

#1836 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I would love to know the answer to this, because it's starting to sound like that was a line to get us off his back. I never heard another mention of this project manager ever again.

Well, we all need to stick together when it comes time to pony up. Maybe the "project manager" already quit?

Quoted from Aurich:

If you don't make it public it's not a "rug reveal", period.

Emphasis on the PERIOD. If he doesn't reveal publicly then he has a total lack of self awareness about wtf is going on around him. If he stays in the bubble its trouble.

Funny thing Vex, it appears he hasn't learned from the Expo disaster, yet.

#1837 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well, we all need to stick together when it comes time to pony up.
Emphasis on the PERIOD. If he doesn't reveal publicly

This. Not another dime until my game is sitting on the loading dock.

If he doesn't reveal publicly it's over. Anything less than a public showing of a functional game will be too little too late. I don't mean to come off as pessimistic, it's more that I'm irate at the lack of communication and respect for customers. It's disrespectful to ignore customers repeated requests for a timeline and basic info.

#1838 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I was wondering the same thing. I think someone mentioned he had posted that date on the MG blog, I did not see it there. I was looking forward to the 17th date, but have no idea where that date came from.

#1839 4 years ago

It's a beautiful machine

#1840 4 years ago

So, ummm...
What happens to the cash you've paid if you decide not to give him the next payment?

Does John figure he'll be keeping all cash from the cancellations?
Pretty sweet scam. Maybe not initially planned but may be how this ends for some.

Good luck guys.

#1841 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

It's a beautiful machine

I think you mean "It's a beautiful concept".

QSS

#1842 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Who's the "project manager"

Unless he announced that he had one, it's only him. He did have an "office manager" at one point. But I'm guessing that person has long since departed given the current situation.

#1843 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Unless he announced that he had one, it's only him. He did have an "office manager" at one point. But I'm guessing that person has long since departed given the current situation.

He did announce that he had hired one to drive the projects. Have you been there in the last few months?

#1844 4 years ago

The RAZA blog is full of comments from owners looking for answers. This isn't just a couple of ball breakers now.

#1845 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

It's a beautiful machine

So you've seen it? If so, grow some balls and post pics here. Quit with the mysterious neener neener comments. The NDA is not enforceable and it's not like the game will ever be made anyways. Spill all you know!

#1846 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The NDA is not enforceable and it's not like the game will ever be made anyways. Spill all you know!

So pimp I didn't realize you were in on RAZA, Have you completely given up on these ever being built?

#1847 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

So pimp I didn't realize you were in on RAZA, Have you completely given up on these ever being built?

Pretty discouraged...zero confidence at this point. I'm hoping for a playable MG tomorrow for all to see.

#1848 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Pretty discouraged...zero confidence at this point. I'm hoping for a playable MG tomorrow for all to see.

Me 2 man!

#1849 4 years ago

We have page movement on the private thread!

#1850 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

John's post stated that he had set a date to show Magic Girl "on a rug" for mid December.

Did he really say on a rug!!?!!!What a jerk!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside