(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 363 of 487.
#18101 4 years ago

Q: How many lawyer jokes are there?
A: Only three. The rest are true stories.

#18102 4 years ago

Mindless drivel and an exit.

Its time for me to drain this thread and this time for good. I’ve done this twice before but returned because I had a feeling of unsettled business here. Never say never I know, but this time it feels right for me.

I’m over this entire situation. Jpop is a sad, broken man who barring a miracle investor will be exiled from the only world he has ever known. His future is lawsuits, bankruptcy, public shame and obscurity.

Some of you think Jpop will show up at Expo this week. I strongly disagree. But if he were to appear I would calmly and quietly tell him how thoroughly disappointed I am in him. In the real world I've been in that exact situation before. So please spare me your keyboard comments.

And I wouldnt take away from the enjoyment of Expo to hunt him down either. Happenstance sure, I’ll talk to him. But like I said, I’m over everything. So don’t run up to me like a child at Expo and tell me if you see him.

And I hope I don’t witness anyone standing 10 feet away, pointing at him and repeatedly shouting "shame, shame, shame" as he walks by. How completely embarrassing that would be for those people in my view.

Life is all about lessons and here’s the only thing I’ve learned from this thread: I have a thin skin when it comes to personal attacks. I’m a bit surprised and disappointed in myself.

I hate it whenever I catch myself flashing my ego or bragging. Its a number one personal issue I'm self-critical of and unfortunately I've done it here in this thread. But some of the insulting and revisionist** comments from the peanut gallery caused me to react defensively and out they came. Thats not an excuse for my weak ego and bragging only an explanation.

Note to Iceman: Your bragging all over Pinside is legendary and boorish. Even when you think you’re being subtle about it. I'm not trying to pick a fight but wise up.

I hope some of you begin letting go of this situation and move along. We all have future battles including some failure and one day you’ll look back on John Popadiuk as simply a head shaking moment. Not for everyone but allowing this thread to begin its death spiral could be a good thing for many people.

Every one of us process life in different ways but burning the eternal flame of hate just isnt for me. I’ll let the attorney handle things from here and accept the courts decision with zero expectations.

I’ll hang here for an appropriate amount of time to read any response before disappearing. I've left myself open to criticism so fire away if needed.

Acknowledgment to Frolic. As fellow Popadiuk survivor with skin in the game, I’ve admired your steady hand in commenting and posting throughout this entire thread. Many of us should learn from your calm demeanor and style here.

**Revisionist Definition: To reevaluate and restate the past based on newly acquired standards**
- I think that definition is worth pointing out to so many judgmental people here.

#18103 4 years ago

Another Drama Drain...

Just click the damn button...sheesh

#18104 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Its time for me to drain this thread and this time for good. I’ve done this twice before but returned because I had a feeling of unsettled business here. Never say never I know, but this time it feels right for me.

I wish I could drain this thread too. More power to you bro and I'm glad to see you feel some measure of closure and are moving on. That is very healthy.

Quoted from Mr68:

Acknowledgment to Frolic. As fellow Popadiuk survivor with skin in the game, I’ve admired your steady hand in commenting and posting throughout this entire thread. Many of us should learn from your calm demeanor and style here.

Frolic has gained massive admiration from many here. I certainly will be buying him a beer (or whatever he drinks) if I ever get to meet him IRL.

#18105 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

By that link it looks like the next court activity is on 10/27/2015, but I don't understand a lot of the lingo on there.
Anyone care to help us goobers decipher what that stuff means?

I practice in this courthouse.

Not much can be gleaned from the electronic docket. The entries tend to be erroneous---especially with respect to description and how items are attributed to parties.

Based on the docket, my guess is that plaintiffs sought to default the defendants. the defendants then sought and obtained leave to appear and answer or otherwise plead.

Attorney for plaintiffs has likely been amending additional plaintiffs throughout.

There doesn't seem to be a pending dispositive motion. Unclear how defendants answered or pled from the docket.

Probably not much has been done in terms of discovery, yet. Plaintiffs will need written discovery before they seek to depose JP. The court has not assigned a date for the close of discovery (likely because of the numerous amendments), but will probably give both sides three months to get everything done from that November date.

I don't practice very much on eleven, but my guess is that is a municipal non jury room. If so, I'm quite surprised both sides are content to remain there!

TLDR; you can't tell anything from the electronic docket. It is most likely either that defendants filed, at some point, a motion to dismiss that was denied, or that nothing has really happened.

Knowing that attorneys from both sides will read this thread, I hope the inaccuracy of my attempt to narrate the life of a case from the electronic docket is humorous!

#18106 4 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

I did a quick search in Cook County's court records (since that's where Zidware is based). I found the following case information summary, which I assume is what you seek (hopefully this link works!):
https://w3.courtlink.lexisnexis.com/cookcounty/FindDock.asp?NCase=2015-M1-110181&SearchType=0&Database=1&case_no=&PLtype=2&sname=&CDate=

Thanks for posting that link. Things are moving right along!

#18107 4 years ago

Note to Kim: I have no problem with your personal attacks on me here or via pm. You know that. So I hope it made you feel better to get that off your chest again.

Relax and chill out, no need to be so thin skinned, especially about asking for info on Jpop. Whatever. You did an awful lot behind the scenes to try and help with Jpop. Hats off to you and the rest of us that tried to fix this thing.

I'm sorry we all had to go through the Jpop mental anguish. Drain and ignore function works well.

Note to everybody else, feel free to rip me as well if that's how you feel, I waive all moderation in that respect.

#18108 4 years ago

I would assume Jpop just filed a general denial to avoid a default judgment and not a whole lot of discovery, if any, has happened yet.

I wonder when the bankruptcy filing is coming

#18109 4 years ago
Quoted from anthony691:

I hope the inaccuracy of my attempt to narrate the life of a case from the electronic docket is humorous!

I appreciate you trying!

#18110 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

In the grand scheme of things, I feel like I get robbed a whole lot more by the government, filing my return on the 15th and I need to stroke out another 100k for 2014.
I delayed taking the "theft and casualty" loss with John until this year, didn't move the needle on a 350k total tax due bill

On a related note, here's a stocking stuffer idea to put on your list for santa...

I suspect you already have one, but this one DOES come with the Velveteen Pouch....

51f-bhWcfsL.jpg

#18111 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

On a related note, here's a stocking stuffer idea to put on your list for santa...
I suspect you already have one, but this one DOES come with the Velveteen Pouch....

51f-bhWcfsL.jpg

Haha, yep, I wonder where you dug that pic up from Lowepg, your sock drawer?

And its patented, how cool is that

How many patents does Jpop have now? Maybe he can sell those for big bucks and pay everybody off?

#18112 4 years ago

I appreciate the shout outs. I'm just a guy who tried to hold jpop's feet to the fire. I had hoped early on we might be able to force some change to how he operates. We didn't know at the time that it was all over well before Expo '14, and here we are a year after that and there is still no closure.

#18113 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I appreciate the shout outs. I'm just a guy who tried to hold jpop's feet to the fire. I had hoped early on we might be able to force some change to how he operates. We didn't know at the time that it was all over well before Expo '14, and here we are a year after that and there is still no closure.

Yes, going back to the original Magic Girl announcement, I ASSumed that a generally functioning mechanical prototope was in existence prior to JPoP asking for money (based on the high asking price and stories of how he had previously done mechanical protos in between prior pinball jobs).

I was certainly wrong about that. Good luck to all of those who were financially involved to find the closure you are looking for.

#18114 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Always happy to pay for your drinks RD! One of my dumbest bets was with you. What can i say

I can certainly understand someone getting sucked into JPop's reality distortion field, but betting drinks with a Kiwi? Now that's just fucking stupid!

#18115 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I can certainly understand someone getting sucked into JPop's reality distortion field, but betting drinks with a Kiwi? Now that's just fucking stupid!

No kidding! At least it was limited to one case, of Corona I think?

I can't even remember the exact bet but it wasn't even close, back in the days of actual hope and optimism with Jpop.

Hard to believe its already been a year since last Expo. Life is def too short to have to keep worrying about this Jpop BS. When you make a mistake that's one thing, to have it drag out for 4 years is another.

#18116 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Lol!!

Quoted from iceman44:

I can't even remember the exact bet but it wasn't even close, back in the days of actual hope and optimism with Jpop.

From memory, it was that you'd receive your JPOP game by Christmas 2014. I knew that bet was money in the bank. ))

rd

#18117 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Lol!!

From memory, it was that you'd receive your JPOP game by Christmas 2014. I knew that bet was money in the bank. ))
rd

#18118 4 years ago

If John shows up at expo, I have a feeling it will go very much like this (in everyone's head)

#18119 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

We are under a gag order from the lawyer.

Thank you, Chis, thats a nice thought from you but this thread is proof otherwise. Us being called stupid by Pinside is probably one of the nicer expressions over the past year or so. I think a recent favorite was from Pinsider, PinballHelp (New Orleans) who called me and others sycophants. His intent was insulting but his misuse of a word beyond his skill level was both embarrassing and amusing.

There is nothing private about the status of any litigation. Perhaps I missed it, but what is the name of the lawsuit, who is the named class action person so I can look up the docket and post the cad schedule? It's all public info.

Edit: never mind, that's what I get posting before I read the 100 other posts that followed...

#18120 4 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

There is nothing private about the status of any litigation. Perhaps I missed it, but what is the name of the lawsuit, who is the named class action person so I can look up the docket and post the cad schedule? It's all public info.
Edit: never mind, that's what I get posting before I read the 100 other posts that followed...

Obviously it's not a literal gag order (things have really gone south if a lawyer is seeking court orders against his own clients). He's plainly asked his clients not to discuss the case on line since it cannot help anything and could hurt if someone disclosed non-public information. Doesn't mean those not connected to the litigation can't look up the public documents as you suggest, just don't expect the plaintiffs to come running here with every new development (since their lawyer has rationally asked them not to).

#18121 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Obviously it's not a literal gag order (things have really gone south if a lawyer is seeking court orders against his own clients). He's plainly asked his clients not to discuss the case on line since it cannot help anything and could hurt if someone disclosed non-public information. Doesn't mean those not connected to the litigation can't look up the public documents as you suggest, just don't expect the plaintiffs to come running here with every new development (since their lawyer has rationally asked them not to).

That's all I was wanting to know out of curiosoity. We all know the facts of the case.

I'm really more interested in when John has to take his deposition or will he simply file bankruptcy and "fall on the sword"

#18122 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Mindless drivel and an exit.
I’m over this entire situation. Jpop is a sad, broken man who barring a miracle investor will be exiled from the only world he has ever known. His future is lawsuits, bankruptcy, public shame and obscurity.
Some of you think Jpop will show up at Expo this week. I strongly disagree. But if he were to appear I would calmly and quietly tell him how thoroughly disappointed I am in him. In the real world I've been in that exact situation before. So please spare me your keyboard comments.
And I wouldnt take away from the enjoyment of Expo to hunt him down either. Happenstance sure, I’ll talk to him. But like I said, I’m over everything. So don’t run up to me like a child at Expo and tell me if you see him.
And I hope I don’t witness anyone standing 10 feet away, pointing at him and repeatedly shouting "shame, shame, shame" as he walks by. How completely embarrassing that would be for those people in my view.
Life is all about lessons and here’s the only thing I’ve learned from this thread: I have a thin skin when it comes to personal attacks. I’m a bit surprised and disappointed in myself.
I hate it whenever I catch myself flashing my ego or bragging. Its a number one personal issue I'm self-critical of and unfortunately I've done it here in this thread. But some of the insulting and revisionist** comments from the peanut gallery caused me to react defensively and out they came. Thats not an excuse for my weak ego and bragging only an explanation.
Note to Iceman: Your bragging all over Pinside is legendary and boorish. Even when you think you’re being subtle about it. I'm not trying to pick a fight but wise up.
I hope some of you begin letting go of this situation and move along. We all have future battles including some failure and one day you’ll look back on John Popadiuk as simply a head shaking moment. Not for everyone but allowing this thread to begin its death spiral could be a good thing for many people.
Every one of us process life in different ways but burning the eternal flame of hate just isnt for me. I’ll let the attorney handle things from here and accept the courts decision with zero expectations.
I’ll hang here for an appropriate amount of time to read any response before disappearing. I've left myself open to criticism so fire away if needed.
**Revisionist Definition: To reevaluate and restate the past based on newly acquired standards**
- I think that definition is worth pointing out to so many judgmental people here.

Expo pre party

image.jpg

#18123 4 years ago

well Ice may have to be after this pre expo dinner Wonder if this is any indication he will be attending IMG_9563.jpg

#18124 4 years ago

damn pdx your fast! Your there already, aren't you suppose to be sleeping or at least hammered by 2am?

#18125 4 years ago

Wow !! I would not posse with that POS. If that is this year's picture. Doesn't speak well for others in photo. sHAME!!

Photographer as well. Shame!!

#18126 4 years ago

Oh my... If that is from this year, this thread is about to explode.....in 3...2.....1

Untitled.png

#18127 4 years ago

just remember if its not this year PDX got it up first!

#18128 4 years ago

I don't think any of us can be shocked he is so shameless to show up. He probably thought C2C was a good interview as well.

#18129 4 years ago

If I showed up and JPOP was there I would immediately ask for a refund and leave. AFTER telling the show's management why I wanted a refund AND after giving JPOP a VERY clear idea of what I thought of him.

#18130 4 years ago

image.gif

#18131 4 years ago

It may not be a healthy expo for the show organizers if John decides to attend and stroll thru the arcade.

#18132 4 years ago

'Jesus, John, personal space! I can almost feel your paper ramp in my pocket.'

#18133 4 years ago

Quick shout out to all the folks going to Expo who were customers of jpop, if ya see me there be sure to say hi. I'll be sporting this custom designed and hand made T-shirt which took a lot of design work and initial prototyping with foam core to develop.
IMAG0894.jpg

#18134 4 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Quick shout out to all the folks going to Expo who were customers of jpop, if ya see me there be sure to say hi. I'll be sporting this custom designed and hand made T-shirt which took a lot of design work and initial prototyping with foam core to develop.
IMAG0894.jpg

Love it! This would also work well for a custom front and back on a shirt...

#18135 4 years ago

363 pages? Can someone summarize what happened with Jpop so I dont have to read everything.

#18136 4 years ago

Concretehardt pictures pretty much summed it up

#18137 4 years ago
Quoted from Brian7588:

363 pages? Can someone summarize what happened with Jpop so I dont have to read everything.

This is 4 months ago so it's just gone downhill from there.

Quoted from rai:

3-4 years ago, John sold a game called MG to be built sometime circa 2013. Said game was limited to 13 copies making it uber rare, later he upped the number to 26 copies. He charged $16k for this limited edition game.
A short time later he sold another games called BHZA in slightly higher numbers 99 later increased to 124, at a price of $10k. Later the theme and title of the game was changed to RAZA, this was also supposed to be completed around 2013.
Later John added another game AIW to be completed, accepted deposits and payments on that too.
All during this time, John kept everything as hidden as possible, said he was working super hard and the pins were going go be great.
Also during this time, John made a Kiss pin which he had no license for, did not collect any deposits for, so he used all the other money collected to fund this game.
John from time to time would show a few bits and pieces of the game, but never anything as finished as a white wood or even a basic alpha prototype.
Many customers began to get worried or frustrated when 2013 came and went and no games were delivered, ditto 2014. To dissuade people from seeking legal means of getting refunds from John for breach of contract, failure to deliver. John had people post that they'd been to his workshop and the games were comming along well and were worth waiting for.
When this began to wear thin, John promised that at the 2014 Expo in October he would do a big reveal. Then at that expo John brought two totally empty cabinets. People freaked out.
So John promised he'd have real prototype reveals in Dec 2014 and January 2015 for MG and RAZA respectively. Predictably John showed nothing whatsoever.
People like myself said John was bluffing and he had nothing to show, while people like PDXmonkey said there were 95% complete prototypes and he'd played them and all was well, just taking longer than expected.
More time goes by, presumably dozens of people demand refund and/or start legal proceedings against John, John says he's working 14 hrs a day 7 days a week and is tired or perplexed that he's also getting hundreds of emails or texts or phone calls a day regarding the lack of progress. But things are still good.
Then maybe 3-4 weeks ago, John posts a letter saying he's completely broke, no one will get a refund and he's allowing an outside entity (shell) assume production of MG and that they can only proceed if you all (owners) agree not to sue anyone and any owners of RAZA and AIW should forget that, but can now get a MG for $16k (less what you have paid towards RAZA or AIW or MG) and that MG will no longer be a super rare game of 26 units but perhapse 199 and then an unlimited number after that.
People rush out an unfinished alpha prototype of MG to the NW show that has most features disabled, that is broken down most of the time at the show, that no one is able to even make a ramp shot except with glass off by hand, that has a laminate playfield that is totally warped or not stuck down properly.
I think that's this whole thread in a nutshell. Insiders like PDXMONKEY please correct anything I missed or was untruthful about.

Ben Heck showing John how to use a drill.
image.jpeg
My interpretation of John trying to build a pinball machine.
image.jpeg

#18138 4 years ago
Quoted from Brian7588:

www.johnpopadiuk.com

#18139 4 years ago

Until 5 minutes ago I thought the pre expo dinner picture was from 2014...
Check the 2015 program for autograph and...http://pinballexpo.net/autogrph.php

(but... "Special Guest Speaker: Python Anghelo!" WTF ??? Is this last year's version?)

#18140 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

(but... "Special Guest Speaker: Python Anghelo!" WTF ??? Is this last year's version?)

Mike is notorious for not properly updating the schedule and other stuff on the website. Tons of oddness, when the first official 2015 schedule came out it listed that Predator would be there.

#18141 4 years ago

WTF!!! We need to check into get some of those T-shirts made in bulk.

Seeing Ben Heck there reminded me of one of the most RIDICULOUS aspects of this whole ordeal.

Do you guys remember the deal John was trying to sell that for an extra $1,000 or whatever, he and Ben would come to your house and help you DIY putting the pinball machine together!

Travel, time, expense, etc...that was a "WTF" moment from day one that we laughed about but should have been a huge red flag that John wasn't in his right mind!

Thanks for the pics guys, will he really show up at Expo?

#18142 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Do you guys remember the deal John was trying to sell that for an extra $1,000 or whatever, he and Ben would come to your house and help you DIY putting the pinball machine together!

i remember. kinda thought it was odd

#18143 4 years ago

I would like to state again, for the record, that I never agreed to that travel idea. I was as shocked as the rest of you.

We have to assume John never traveled much in his career, or when he did it was all paid for externally. It costs significantly more than he thinks - but no surprise there right?

#18145 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

but no surprise there right?

His DIY offer really symbolizes the complete clusterF of a project. Just completely clueless.

#18146 4 years ago

Hopefully he just went to the dinner like a safe "class reunion" kind of thing.

If he shows up to Expo itself, and doesn't have 3 working games with him... yeah, not a good idea. For him, and the drama fallout it would create.

#18147 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Will he really show up at Expo?

What I wouldn't give to have him show up being followed by a camera crew.

Imagine it with the standard "this guy is a big deal" style crew, then imagine it being filmed surreptitiously by dudes in the crowd holding cell phones. Either way, it'd be comedy gold! (Dark comedy!)

#18148 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

and doesn't have 3 working games with him

and what if he brought the magic girl prototype? it made out to the one show, and it would not totally shock me if he showed up with it, seems to fit his mindset of continuing to move forward as if nothing is wrong, like having no money left, etc. I could see how In his mind, having it seen will get folks lining up to invest.

#18149 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

If I showed up and JPOP was there I would immediately ask for a refund and leave. AFTER telling the show's management why I wanted a refund AND after giving JPOP a VERY clear idea of what I thought of him.

Any chance we can have him banned/removed from the hall of fame:

http://pinballexpo.com/hallfame.php

#18150 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I would like to state again, for the record, that I never agreed to that travel idea. I was as shocked as the rest of you.
We have to assume John never traveled much in his career, or when he did it was all paid for externally. It costs significantly more than he thinks - but no surprise there right?

When did you find out that it was part of the sales pitch? Did you tell him at the time that it was crazy?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 363 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside