(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 359 of 487.
#17901 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

And the obvious usual.............John is that you?

I think it's actually "We" that John P. refers to.

#17902 4 years ago
Quoted from Artimage:

Sounds familiar:
the-producers.jpg
Max Bialystock: You were saying that under the right circumstances, a producer could make more money with a flop than he could with a hit.
Leo Bloom: Yes, it's quite possible.
Max Bialystock: You keep saying that, but you don't tell me how. How could a producer make more money with a flop than with a hit?
Leo Bloom: It's simply a matter of creative accounting. Let us assume, just for the moment, that you are a dishonest man.
Max Bialystock: Assume away!

Lol. I thought of the same scene when this all started.

#17903 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Too many syllables in your top line........and second line......third line it good.

Haiku can be hard
And sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator.

Chris

#17904 4 years ago
Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

Link to the hitler Jpop vids please?

Quoted from John_I:

OK, yet another Hitler video:
http://meemsy.com/v/26799

#17905 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I think he's ok on line one. Line two should use " fallin' " to hit seven syllables though.
Haiku Police strike again!

still on first cup of coffee, but doesnt 'fallin' have the same number of syllables as 'falling' ?

#17906 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

still on first cup of coffee, but doesnt 'fallen' have the same number of syllables as 'falling' ?

Get creative... Pronounce it like falln.

#17907 4 years ago

I'm not any poet (as you'll see) but here goes:

Custom pins are neat
Making pinballs is hard work
All money is gone

#17908 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Whatchu talkin 'bout, Dave?
S'posed to be fallin' on his sword.
I don't believe it.

Dear John Popaduik
Please stop with the peyote
make the games or else.

a pyramid scheme
has now gone horribly wrong
why hide in your cave?

-c

#17909 4 years ago

should I make RAZA?
no. more pictures of Alice!
watch them scratch their heads.

-c

#17910 4 years ago

haiku is not hard.
you just need to sound it out
takes no time at all.

-c

#17911 4 years ago

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

#17912 4 years ago

There once was a pinball designer named John,
who fiddled till all the money was gone,
He had plenty of blame,
for everyone but his name,
His life's work was trashed as he rambled on.

#17913 4 years ago

You Don't Work Hard For
Money Already In Bank
Get A Job Hippie

#17914 4 years ago

If you want RAZA
Sign the Non-Disclosure Form
Great harm will occur

#17915 4 years ago

There once was an old pinball guru
Who had magical thoughts and design voodoo
He said "Give me your money"
and I'll turn out a honey!"
But now we all know he'll just screw you

#17916 4 years ago

The level of understanding of English Haiku demonstrated here is right on the level of Jpop's understanding of manufacturing.

There's a lot more to it than 5-7-5… not necessarily even that, actually!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_in_English

#17917 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

The level of understanding of English Haiku demonstrated here is right on the level of Jpop's understanding of manufacturing.
There's a lot more to it than 5-7-5… not necessarily even that, actually!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_in_English

Actually, I thought this thread was supposed to be about updates to the Jpop fiasco.

And now it is moving from Haiku to Limericks. Funny, yes, but should me moved to a different thread.

#17918 4 years ago

Gesundheit.

#17919 4 years ago

this poem is appropriate for this thread (John does not measure up):

If—

By Rudyard Kipling
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings---nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And---which is more---you'll be a Man, my son!

#17920 4 years ago

Roses are Red and Violets are Blue
Where's our Fucking Money

#17921 4 years ago

There was a designer named John
Who wowed us and led us all on
It's not at all funny
He spent all the money
The chance he'll deliver is gone

#17922 4 years ago

These poems are always real clever
There are some good ones I'm enjoying, you see
I'm gonna come up with a great one...
But hold on, I gotta go pee

#17923 4 years ago

looks like there's finally some movement on court dates #wiki

playfield glass shall be custom
CAD allows you to measure cabinet virtually
barely clears the polished knob

#17924 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Ding ding ding... We have a winner!

#17925 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ding ding ding... We have a winner!

Absolutely, Astropin wins the Pinside poetry contest running away.

#17926 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Magic Girl looks amazing to me. [snip]...I'm sure the saltiness of the current situation will dissolve and eventually be forgotten, while the cool games will be remembered.

Maybe.

ZY_credit.jpg

#17927 4 years ago

Magic Girl Platinum: The Card That Comes Pre-Loaded with $900,000!

#17928 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Magic Girl Platinum: The Card That Comes Pre-Loaded with $900,000!

...in debt, I'm assuming.

Hard to have a sense of humor about stuff like this, it really is.

#17929 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There once was a pinball designer named John,
who fiddled till all the money was gone,
He had plenty of blame,
for everyone but his name,
His life's work was trashed as he rambled on.

To this my American Dream, to my customers more like American Greed.

The money came in fast and furious as I became more delirious. The stories beautiful, the stories tall, til the assholes of pinside would make it fall.

My name is John Popaduik, I use to sizzle when I worked at a company called zizzle.

The games were simple, the games were cheap, but it was a task I could complete.

Now the job was gone, I went to Mr. Stern and he told me to move along. With no job I would show the world that I am the greatest, I am the greatest.

All will see, all will know, as my intellectual property is all I have to show.

5 years have passed since a summer day in June, I best be making this pinball soon

Spending other peoples money was easy, but making pinball is hard.

Paying myself first, before the job was completed, may rot my soul head to feet..........

#17930 4 years ago

Nobody wanted to help me
lots of volunteers showed up at zidware
I like to lie a lot

#17931 4 years ago

Confucius Say: "Whenever you spend $10K on something you haven't seen yet, make sure you have more than one person to sue."

#17932 4 years ago

That's some nice artwork there
let's revise because it's not perfect yet
zombi yeti is now tired

#17933 4 years ago

create the pinball artwork first
if post is moved might need redraw
i like to work backwards

#17934 4 years ago

project manager will be hired
that lie made pesty buyers go away
never got one speeding ticket

#17935 4 years ago

I'm not a good CEO
giant project got way over my head
i shall fall on sword

#17936 4 years ago

This thread is missing
A Jennifer Connelly
Big boobs FTW

#17937 4 years ago

Magic Girl is 95% complete oh and the pleats on my pants are causing this magical optical illusion.. Zap zap zap
image.jpg

#17938 4 years ago

Roses are red and violets are blue
if you sent money to JPOP
you stepped in JPoo

The story is an old one, it's not even new.
been lied to ... been cheated,
no time to boo hoo

It cost a few grand, that's not really a lot
John Popadiuk lost his good name and
you have been JPOP'd.

#17939 4 years ago

You lost me at few grand and not a lot.

#17940 4 years ago

If you want a 'magic pin'
that no one else will own
Send your money without fail
I'll make the pins alone
If no one helps me out
I might end up in jail

#17941 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

guys... please stop with the rhythms, haikus, limericks, etc.

THIS (above) will not be improved upon.

#17942 4 years ago

Aw man, I posted some haikus a ways back in this thread and nothing ever came of it.

#17943 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Couldn't help but think of JPOP when I read this in a Star Citizen article:
"Games are made like houses. You want to make the foundation first and the wallpaper last. With Chris Roberts, everything is the wallpaper," CS2 added. "I think there will be a game. But it will be a shell of what was promised."
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

I've been catching up on this Star Citizen mess today.

http://techraptor.net/content/star-citizen-lawsuits-and-journalism-ethics

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/10/04/star-citizen-developer-threatens-lawsuit-against-the-escapist-demands-apology-and-retraction/

The ongoing drama surrounding Star Citizen and this latest Escapist article are following so many parallels and commonalities with SkitB and JPop its scary - and the project cost and scope are 90x larger.

#17944 4 years ago

History repeats itself because people learn nothing from history.

1) Person not in industry since 90's
2) Did other stuff after that to questionable success
3) Once that's run its course, does crowdfunded project and gets money from nostalgia.
4) Creates new company run by husband and wife with absolute power
5) Project scope goes way beyond original promise + late
6) Goes through employees like shit through a goose

CIG can say the accusations are groundless, but history suggests otherwise. If it does fail, the history of pinball tells us the pre-order Kickstarter system for video games will become as good as dead.

CIG right now is where Predator was last fall. Some people coming out of the woodwork saying "Where there's smoke there's fire" but being disregarded as loonies and opportunists.

#17945 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

History repeats itself because people learn nothing from history.
1) Person not in industry since 90's
2) Did other stuff after that to questionable success
3) Once that's run its course, does crowdfunded project and gets money from nostalgia.
4) Creates new company run by husband and wife with absolute power
5) Project scope goes way beyond original promise + late
6) Goes through employees like shit through a goose
CIG can say the accusations are groundless, but history suggests otherwise. If it does fail, the history of pinball tells us the pre-order Kickstarter system for video games will become as good as dead.
CIG right now is where Predator was last fall. Some people coming out of the woodwork saying "Where there's smoke there's fire" but being disregarded as loonies and opportunists.

I'm sorry. Why were people giving money up front? Up to $90M for a video game, when they could just wait for it to come out and pick up a copy for $70?

Were the investors getting some ownership of the company or something?

#17946 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm sorry. Why were people giving money up front? Up to $90M for a video game, when they could just wait for it to come out and pick up a copy for $70?

Most people who give money to these style operations think that the product won't get made without their pre-order and support. They believe they are making it happen, not just buying a product.

#17947 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

The ongoing drama surrounding Star Citizen and this latest Escapist article are following so many parallels and commonalities with SkitB and JPop its scary - and the project cost and scope are 90x larger.

Quoted from benheck:

Not even close to the same thing imo. There are hundreds of employees working for CIG, technical demos have been released, multiple updates weekly. Many of the employees have years of experience producing some of the best computer/video games out there. It isn't some dude working out of his basement who has never done anything like it before like Predator, or some head in the clouds dude in his workshop with a couple of other folks. Chris Roberts credentials alone make him more respectable than Kulek or Jpop.

As far as the loonies and opportunists, the main driver behind the CIG attackes is Derek Smart. Do some googling on this dude, he pretty much is the definition of a loony and opportunist.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Most people who give money to these style operations think that the product won't get made without their pre-order and support. They believe they are making it happen, not just buying a product.

In this case, the original Kickstarter was to show potential investors that there was enough interest in this type of game to make it. So without the Kickstarter success, it wouldn't have been made. Then enough people showed interest that the potential investors became unneeded. Then even more interest was showing to where they could expand the scope of what was being made.

All of the stretch goals being hit and the addtion of new features automatically means the game is going to take longer than the initial scope.

So far I am still patient, I am into it for about $150.00. Not a few thousand like people were into on Jpop and Predator.

#17948 4 years ago

Kickstarter games are madness.

They pitch a $500,000 game, and when they make $3 million (or 90 million!) they build a $3 million dollar game instead of counting the $2.5 million extra as "profit beyond what we spent" You know, like a normal business does.

Knowing the sales ahead of time is dangerous. How insane would it be for Activision to say "The next Call of Duty will make a billion dollars, so let's spend a billion dollars on it!" Lunacy! But that's exactly what Kickstarters do.

The problem occurs when the games go over schedule (which they all do) Now instead of another year of burn at 500k (easily afforded had you retained your original scope) it's millions more and you either cut features, search for more funding, or go bust.

JPOP did the same thing. Burned money well past the completion point and... well... here we are.

#17949 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Kickstarter games are madness.
They pitch a $500,000 game, and when they make $3 million (or 90 million!) they build a $3 million dollar game instead of counting the $2.5 million extra as "profit beyond what we spent" You know, like a normal business does.
Knowing the sales ahead of time is dangerous. How insane would it be for Activision to say "The next Call of Duty will make a billion dollars, so let's spend a billion dollars on it!" Lunacy! But that's exactly what Kickstarters do.
The problem occurs when the games go over schedule (which they all do) Now instead of another year of burn at 500k (easily afforded had you retained your original scope) it's millions more and you either cut features, search for more funding, or go bust.
JPOP did the same thing. Burned money well past the completion point and... well... here we are.

SC was always planned to be at least a $20 million dollar game from the start, the initial Kickstarter was just to gauge interest.

I see and agree with your point though. It would've been much better to build the $20 million dollar version, and if the money is still rolling in expand from there. That's how I would've approached it anyway. Now they are stuck with a very large burn rate and no end in sight.

I have a different mindset when I back something like this though. I don't actually expect to get anything out of it other than the fun of backing something I have interest in. If it crashes and burns and I lose my $150.00 <shrug>. It is one of the reasons I didn't invest in Predator or Jpop. I knew I wouldn't be able to easily shrug off a few thousand if it all went tits up.

I think in any situation if you give a company money before they have a product, and your money is key to them even being able to produce that product, you have to be prepared to lose the money. Companies fail all the time either due to incompetence or just the fact that it is really hard to build a successful company. Some of the people who have invested thousands of dollars into Star Citizen (and there are probably quite a few) could be in for a rude awakening if they didn't approach it eyes wide open.

#17950 4 years ago

Yeah, been following the SC mess a bit on Reddit... sounds like a complete mess but I can't make heads or tails of it. I've been through a couple spectacular meltdowns in my career and there's usually a good book waiting to be written at the end but from the outside, while it's going on?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
25,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, VIC
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 359 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside