(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 355 of 486.
#17701 4 years ago

It's all so believable.

#17702 4 years ago

image.jpg

I made it to 30 minutes and threw in the towel.

Single question... When are people getting their games or refunds.

#17703 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Well if Nate had come off like an angry mob, John would have just walked out.

Who cares?

I would rather have had jpop get asked questions - and when he was unresponsive- asked again.

AND, challenged on some of his answers.... and if he bailed- he bailed.

jpop "Like, dude.... pinball is really hard... and we;re doing as best we can... and were still going to make it happen."

Nate(with balls added): John, I have to stop you right there. First, who is exactly is the "we" you keep referring to? Who else is actually working on this project right now? Second, you sent a very dire letter to all buyers saying there was No WAY MG/AIW/RAZA could get finished by Zidware. Now, since multiple lawsuits have started, you've suddenly started blogging again and now claiming otherwise. How can you square these completely contradictory statements?"

And if jpop want to hang up on him, well, all the better. Better to get cutoff than give him a 2 hour platform for making excuses and more empty promises.

#17704 4 years ago

Cucked, hard, only thing that comes to mind outside of Jflop posting that on his own blog/webcast... Hopefully John Popaduik's lawyer cannot use that interview as an example that he's still "trying"

#17705 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Who cares?
I would rather have had jpop get asked questions - and when he was unresponsive- asked again.
AND, challenged on some of his answers.... and if he bailed- he bailed.
jpop "Like, dude.... pinball is really hard... and we;re doing as best we can... and were still going to make it happen."
Nate(with balls added): John, I have to stop you right there. First, who is exactly is the "we" you keep referring to? Who else is actually working on this project right now? Second, you sent a very dire letter to all buyers saying there was No WAY MG/AIW/RAZA could get finished by Zidware. Now, since multiple lawsuits have started, you've suddenly started blogging again and now claiming otherwise. How can you square these completely contradictory statements?"
And if jpop want to hang up on him, well, all the better. Better to get cutoff than give him a 2 hour platform for making excuses and more empty promises.

OK, I agree. I didn't listen past the first 10 minutes to be honest.

I do recall Nate was very PO'd about the whole affair with both Kevin and Jpop. So I thought he would have gone a little harder.

But maybe he was giving him enough rope kind of deal where he hoped John would go off and incriminate himself.

However (as a movie buff) I rather like the 'Cain Mutiny' and 'A Few Good Men' where the questions push the other person over the edge. But as I said, likely John would have just walked (unlike in the movies where they were in court and under oath so there was no ability to just walk out).

#17706 4 years ago

Nate: "John's a likable guy; I like him a lot".

IMHO: One of the most ludicrous statements ever.

#17707 4 years ago

It would have been good if Nate would have grilled him but who would want to talk to Nate if he did that. There are others like Jersey Jack and Stern that might avoid Nate if they are afraid of being grilled over mistakes. Maybe he will get to do a follow up interview, he can take listener questions. Nate did sound exhausted multiple times in the interview.

#17708 4 years ago

Really a was not a great interview. John was allowed to just ramble on, any good interviewer would of had more control.

#17709 4 years ago

Interviewing people is hard.

#17710 4 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

but who would want to talk to Nate if he did that.

No, JFlop reached out to him, allegedly... give him a 1hr softball interview, then grow a pair and literally f(*k him under his own bull$#it.

#17711 4 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

No, JFlop reached out to him, allegedly... give him a 1hr softball interview, then grow a pair and literally f(*k him under his own bull$#it.

That makes the most sense. Kinda like being "featured" in a trade journal. Basically an advertisement sanitized to look like an article. Here not an advertisement but more likely, a deception to get legal cases dismissed.

A victim or two of his scam will figure out a way to beat him.

#17712 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Absolutely ASTOUNDING and stupid thing to say!

I guess if you feel that way it's probably why he just let him ramble on.

Nate is a long time fan boy of John's and I guess he thinks he's getting a raw deal somehow

#17713 4 years ago

Taking phone in questions would've made it worh listening to.. I couldn't make it through the interview...
"Next caller, you have a question?
Yeah... @$$#@$#*%$@* you jpop!!!"

#17714 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Correct.

Any amount of "like" or "respect" goes out the window after you STOLE/CHEATED/DEFRAUDED hundreds of people in this hobby.

"like" is not allowed in a sane person's vocabulary after that....

Lost a lot of respect for Nate after this....

If you can't do it right (the interview), better to not do it at all!

This whole thing will be propaganda for pops attorney that he's still functioning, "hey, I did a 2 hour interview with a pinball reporter, of course we're still in business, just listen.... TWO HOURS"

#17715 4 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Yeah that would have worked but I think we forget that Nate isn't a journalist so he's not used to doing hard interviews. He's done a lot of interviews with friends and this was something different.

Quoted from iceman44:

Nate is a long time fan boy of John's and I guess he thinks he's getting a raw deal somehow

Nate was pretty hard on JPOP in Ep. 167.

#17716 4 years ago

Nate needs a follow up interview with bill and the guys who spent hours trying to make something out of magic girl.

#17717 4 years ago

I wonder how Nate thought this would be received? Did he really think anyone wanted to hear Pop just ramble on?

#17718 4 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Nate was pretty hard on JPOP in Ep. 167.

You think? That's the one I was referring to and his praise for all of the "great work" he had done in the past.

I like Nate and his C2C podcasts. From the comments, I don't understand why he would give the criminal a wide open forum to say whatever he wants without recourse or responsibility. It's the John way.

#17719 4 years ago

To be fair, near the end Nate did ask about what was going to happen with everyone who had paid money.

But yeah, overall, it was a pretty soft interview.

#17720 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You think? That's the one I was referring to and his praise for all of the "great work" he had done in the past.
I like Nate and his C2C podcasts. From the comments, I don't understand why he would give the criminal a wide open forum to say whatever he wants without recourse or responsibility. It's the John way.

Well, it has been awhile since I listened to that podcast, so you're probably right.

#17721 4 years ago

What a piece of sh!t. That guy will never get it.

#17723 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Hey everybody, maybe give Nate some slack. I understand your frustration but he's not a trial lawyer or a 60 Minutes investigative reporter. He's a pinball enthusiast and this was not a courtroom.
Nate probably went with his natural personality which is appropriate for him. And sometimes softball interviews can put a person at ease and they let their guard down.
I'm surprised Jpop's lawyer allowed this interview. (Edit) If the lawyer even knew.

Cut him some slack??? Why? He posted in this thread BEFORE the interview!!! He knows the situation JPOP created. This Nate guy should have grabbed JPOP by the dick and asked him the tough questions, but he straight up didn't have the balls. This "interview" was pathetic and worthless. What a waste of time.

#17724 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Interview reminds me of this ...
» YouTube video

Why? Is Jeff Bridges making excuses for no machines as well?

#17725 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I probably missed some as I fell asleep twice listening...

He said multiple times he messed it up (given, not himself alone), he admitted to be mentally slow and an idiot.

What else did you expect to happen? A release date or an offer for reimbursement to the pre-orderers? Or an interviewer that insults his "guest"?
Nate gave him the chance to tell his version of the story and shed some light on what lead to this fiasco, and that's basically what JPop talked about.

#17726 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Nate gave him the chance to tell his version of the story and shed some light on what lead to this fiasco, and that's basically what JPop talked about.

But....why does Jpop deserve a chance a "tell his version"?

That aside, when "his version" jumped the shark and he started delivering pure bullshit, he was never called on it....

Instead you got 2 people who like to hear the sound of their own voices.... And little else.

#17727 4 years ago

Just finished listening. Hmmmmm. Kinda wished I had refrained.

#17728 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

But....why does Jpop deserve a chance a "tell his version"?
That aside, when "his version" jumped the shark and he started delivering pure bullshit, he was never called on it....
Instead you got 2 people who like to hear the sound of their own voices.... And little else.

That's a very valid question.

The outcome of the legal action will be much more interesting than a lame interview.
Anybody know when this will be going to court?

#17729 4 years ago

Just wanted to post my thoughts on the interview - as someone who hasn't been following this much at all. I listen to C2C, so I've heard Nate rant about it before.

It was never going to be some sort of accusatory, hard line interview. I would have been really shocked if Nate had gone that way. For people who are familiar with the show, it was obvious from his tone that Nate was annoyed and frustrated. However, he almost certainly runs the type of operation where if the interviewer asked him not to publish the interview, he would follow their wishes. So the way Nate went about this was perfect: JPOP came away thinking he had actually done a good interview, and that it would be fine to be released. People who are complaining about "giving him a forum to tell his side of the story"...did you listen the interview? Not even people unfamiliar with the situation are going to come away from it on JPOPs side. He only dug himself further into his hole - nothing more.

As someone who doesn't have money in on this, and wasn't following the story closely enough to be angry...I came away from this thinking:

Ultimately, JPOP was not suited to run this type of operation. I'm surprised that with his intimate knowledge of the design and build process, he didn't see this coming. He *is* just a worker bee, and was way out of his element. He's so mired in the minutiae of design (art & build quality, almost exclusively) that he literally cannot see the big picture in any of this. He couldn't answer even the simplest big picture questions without going down the rabbit hole into all kinds of relevant and irrelevant specifics.

At least he understands his own hubris?

Some people here seem to be intent on calling him a liar, and again, I don't know enough about what has been going on, but there were some really interesting contradictions in the interview. He made an 80 page deck for Stern about how to market pinball machines, yet went on and on and on about how he couldn't communicate with his customers no matter what he tried? John, that *is* marketing.

He's been through the design process so many times with established manufacturers, but yet is still moving posts *after* the artwork, playfield, plastics, ramps, and mechanisms have been finished and placed? He spends weeks tweaking some subtle thing about the art, but then says that the code is no big deal because no one ships finished code anyway these days?

He's obviously a perfectionist for his designs, but yet also cares very deeply about what other people think and would change them based on feedback? And a perfectionist that would hire people completely new to the pinball industry?

I thought the comment about having to be told by "business people" that accepting money turns "pinball friends" into "customers" was fascinating. Did he think this was charity money from friends?

I honestly believe that he *is* excited to come into work - somehow, but I think that's just further evidence that he is really clueless and unaware on so many levels.

I cannot *believe* that he didn't apologize. I can't. I mean...has he ever? He said the money was gone, without mentioning what will happen next.

This was always about the intellectual property. Seriously?!? So, instead of shipping games or returning money, he's worried that his vision won't be completed?

His lawyer didn't even read the Pintasia stuff? Seriously?!? So, he's actually got someone on his team with expertise in that area, but isn't going to rely on them for it?

I'm so confused why he didn't just build a working prototype and go from there. Wouldn't *that* be the way to approach Stern, JJP, or Spooky to have them manufacture your game?

He came across as one of the least decisive people of all time. But if he makes decisions quickly, they're wrong. Well, they seem to be wrong even when they take years to make. Maybe failing fast would be a better idea?

Did he really have a custom operating system built for this? Custom boards?

Wow, sorry, I thought this would be a more coherent post, but it just turned into a bullet pointed rant.

It was a pretty interesting look into a well intentioned guy who deserves every bit of trouble he's gotten himself into. Pretty amazing what people can talk themselves into.

#17730 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Wow, sorry, I thought this would be a more coherent post, but it just turned into a bullet pointed rant.

Nope, this was the most intelligent analysis of the interview I've read so far, thanks.

#17731 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

So, he's actually got someone on his team with expertise in that area, but isn't going to rely on them for it?

That's kind of the essence of what JPop is about - the arrogance of creative people.

It seems he's at least to some extent understood that there's more to running a company than a good idea alone. But he still hasn't overcome the arrogance of focusing on the completion of HIS game as opposed to the damage he's done to others and getting that right rather than the machine itself.

But hey - it took him 10 years to finish WCS, so he still has 5+ years to finish MG...that's the main message of all his talk.

#17732 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Why? Is Jeff Bridges making excuses for no machines as well?

Nothing to do with Jeff Bridges more about the incoherent ramblings. Try to keep up

#17733 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

But hey - it took him 10 years to finish WCS, so he still has 5+ years to finish MG...that's the main message of all his talk.

I thought Steve Ritchie said they had to take over wcs in unprecedented fashion.
What's the deal with all his talk about designing at bally? I see Ice castle in the ipdb.. None built. Is ice castle wcs? Anyone know more of the story?

#17734 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

it took him 10 years to finish WCS

You know, this is an odd thing to hear. I mean think about that, it means he started in 1984 when there wasn't even alphanumeric displays being used yet (and space shuttle had just come out with the first vacuum formed ramp). 1994 DMD was out for 2 years, so that means 2 display technologies went by during the development of WCS94? Maybe what he means is he tinkered "a design" on his own time for 8 years, then when they approached him to make a soccer game because it was coming to the US, he took that design and stepped it up?

Quoted from Kneissl:

I see Ice Castle in the ipdb.. None built. Is Ice Castle wcs? Anyone know more of the story?

I think he briefly talked about this on spooky's pinball podcast. Not a lot of detail on it, other than it barely made it past the whitewood stage. Supposedly there's a photo in one of the pinball books

#17735 4 years ago

Completely lame.will never listen or waste my time C2C ever again.

#17736 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I had a hard time staying awake listening to this.

Just another kiss ass hero worship stuff that led to the pathetic, preorder ,cost cutting,can't get it out on time,lack of completed software,8K world of pinball we currently live in.

#17737 4 years ago

Thank you to the thread for saving me from taking a chance and listening to the interview.

#17738 4 years ago

I've posted some of John's own words earlier in the thread, but I feel the need to repost to show the kinds of deceit we as the owners were dealing with. It was definitely not "ah shucks, I'm behind schedule, Sorry I don't know what I'm doing"

Posted Oct 23, 2014:

Just an update, I have a new project manager starting today and we will see how he fits in. He is a pinball guy, so most of the parts he knows, but not so much my process or style and is a PM for a large company. We have set a date to show magic girl, on a rug, for mid december and I will now work on the raza schedule and report back soon which will be after that. I still have some vendors to talk to and I am creating the transition plan for the Mission software guys.

I will still give updates on the block and try to make them meaningful as to rules and features, like TBL guys did.

As some have noticed we are actually farther along then it might appear, so the work now is to identify the missing items and get them done. Items kept in a haze are obviously my fault and I need to do better. But also there are so many disconnected parts of pinball making, it’s hard to keep straight unless you are in it daily. So for the RAZA play field I have ramps to shoot, game tweaks and finish as well as other upper features and general gameplay. Most of the art is complete and needs to be readied for printing. Still working on the other items from earlier in the week too. Jpop

Posted Nov 20, 2014 re: RAZA

At this time I would like to reveal the full game around the first week of January. Should be in good shape by then and able to have it all put together as a machine. We are finishing the back box insert panel and wiring along with other small details and cab parts, like the inner side cabinet “zombie” panels and the game controller enclosure. The topper is almost finished and ready to be installed and we have the final reactors ready to drop in. Cutting the portholes needs to be done.

Posted Jan 17, 2015 re: RAZA

I wanted to get back on the blog with some updated news and events, to let you know what we have been working on and what is being completed. Currently still on track to show a fully built Zombie Adventureland game in February. Most of the design work and art is up to date, along with much of the lcd screen art, test mode system, sounds, and other items. As reported previous we are doing separations now for the play field and back glass. So you will get a good feel for what the game will be like. We are still waiting for vendor parts and other items we have to finalize, as there are so many small details to deal with in pinball, along with making sure the game looks really nice!

Posted Jan 14, 2015 re: Magic Girl

As we continue to add more information, photos and videos to the reveal site for MG, we have the run of cabinets being made and will begin production setup on March 3.

THIS is why emotions are high, and why it's not good enough to let John tell his version of things, and not call him on the carpet.

#17739 4 years ago

And here's the quote I want to get made into a t-shirt:

"Lying to customers is not the way I work, to make them go away for a while."
-John Popadiuk, Jr

#17740 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I've posted some of John's own words earlier in the thread

Interesting, thanks.

As someone who has not been jerked around for years, this still feels to me like he believed what he was saying. Maybe delusion and lies are really just two different sides of the same coin?

#17741 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Interesting, thanks.
As someone who has not been jerked around for years, this still feels to me like he believed what he was saying. Maybe delusion and lies are really just two different sides of the same coin?

Oh, I can believe he lives in his own deluded fantasy land. I also believe the lies he told were so deep, he lied to himself. But that is not a pass, and that does not let him off from answering for that.

#17742 4 years ago

I found the interview fair and balanced. Had Nate "gone off on him" he would have just hung up.

We learned more about the depths of his business ineptitude, particularly "didn't even show my lawyer the Pintasia contract" and "I'm using my own money now for funding"

His tax statements are bizarre. He paid 20% off the top? Of a million? It'd be a LOT more than 20%. Hell, even a 90k salary would be a lot more than 20%

#17743 4 years ago

That he actually said something on C2C to the effect of "I never told a lie" is a knee slapper.

#17744 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Oh, I can believe he lives in his own deluded fantasy land. I also believe the lies he told were so deep, he lied to himself. But that is not a pass, and that does not let him off from answering for that.

33563210.jpg

#17745 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I found the interview fair and balanced. Had Nate "gone off on him" he would have just hung up.

As much as I would have liked to see Nate put him on the spot, I don't think it would have amounted to much. I asked John some tough questions when I met with him at his shop back in December, and he evaded every single one of them. I asked him about the money, deadlines, programming, the supposed "project manager", etc... I didn't get a single concrete answer to any of my inquiries. The guy is a master at avoiding the real subject at hand and going off on wild tangents.

#17746 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Cut him some slack??? Why? He posted in this thread BEFORE the interview!!! He knows the situation JPOP created. This Nate guy should have grabbed JPOP by the dick and asked him the tough questions, but he straight up didn't have the balls. This "interview" was pathetic and worthless. What a waste of time.

Yes, lets vilify Nate. He's done nothing to give back to the Pinball community.
I've already call Human Resources. Nate will be docked a months pay and I have personally placed him on Double Secret Probation.

Look, theres nothing wrong with expressing disappointment here. But this macho posturing on the internet without consideration gets tiresome.

#17747 4 years ago

I'm almost scared to say that i liked the interview, i'm worried people will hate me for it here. And this is a weird feeling since i have always felt among people that feel the same about this great hobby, and most of you are really nice guys. I'm sorry i liked it, i mean no disrespect to anyone. I do think what John did was wrong, and how he is proceeding is crazy and disrespectful to the people who (probably) lost a lot of money. But for people to say they now hate Nate, and never going to listen to him... But Nate did not take your money. And there is nothing he can do to change that. Shouting and being angry during the interview would not change this. I think it was pretty brave to have the most hated pinball designer in his show, and not disrespect him. But a lot of listeners felt they were disrespected by that. I've not listened to all podcasts Nate did, but i think Nate is not the Jerry Springer type, and that is probably why John asked him in the first place.

#17748 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yes, lets vilify Nate. He's done nothing to give back to the Pinball community.

He shouldn't have given John a forum to let him just come on and tell the same BS stories he's told all of us in the past.

Which was done probably as part of his legal defense to demonstrate publicly that he was still attempting to build these pins, which is a farce as we all know.

What was the point of the interview again? I like Nate and C2C, but's he wrong in this case.

#17749 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Well, I think that would have been better, frankly. My problem with the "interview" is it just gave jpop 2 hours of propaganda.... and nothing new was learned by anyone that cares....

And worse, he was allowed to say "MG is progressing and nearly done, others close behind" - without being challenged by (a seemingly tired/worn-out) Nate. That's BAD.

Quoted from benheck:

We learned more about the depths of his business ineptitude

Didn't need 1 minute (much less 120) to know his ineptitude.

#17750 4 years ago

Toward the end of the podcast it sure sounded as if John was trying to sell himself in hope of being hired as a designer at one of the existing pinball manufacturers. Essentially, he was talking about how he has learned so much through this failed business that would translate into an asset to one of the pinball companies.

Of course, the problem even if that extra learning experience was true and meant something to the manufacturers such as Stern and JJP, it is doubtful many people would want to buy any new games with John's name associated with it.
His days as a pinball designer for a real pinball company are likely very much over.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 355 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside