(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 354 of 487.
#17651 4 years ago

Sad that Kevin shows up at an auction and no one calls him out. Now Jpoop does a two hour soft interview? I'd rather have knitting needles rammed into both ears than listen to this.

#17652 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

"You know, like obviously in all of this (clears throat) you know , I...I...I need to apologize to everyone because it was not supposed to end up the way it is. Obviously I... you know, people who know me.. I am 52 now. Well I've had 50 years, or 51 years of no issues. You know, I just work, I pay my taxes, I've had 1 speeding ticket when I was 18, you know, never been in jail, never been convicted of anything, I mean just you know it's just not who I am. But I love making pinball and I like really doing that, but um no but I think um it kinda was um ugh ugh um, its an unfortunate series of events and obviously I'm responsible. You know, I'm the guy and I have to, I have to do my very best to, to not repeat the things I've done wrong and all of that and try and you know, try and make it right. I'm still excited everyday I get in, I obviously now have different things I have to worry about other than pinball making, but um no I think it was um it, from my side anyway, apart from you know "John's way off the schedule", and and and you know "He doesn't answer his phone" and things like that, but no it went to Pinball Expo last year and um we were um we had made a ..we had made a change in the Magic Girl artwork so kinda in the late summer, around that time the game just wasn't like, it just needed a small tweak, it needed a color tweak, and it needed just a few elements changed and and the reason I did it was to umm obviously get it done but I knew that this game is gonna be around a long time so its like well OK lets just do it..."

I see what you did there. You cut and pasted that from the Unabomber manifesto.

#17653 4 years ago

In summary, for folks who didn't want to listen since it was very long, JPOP basically was saying:

Mistakes were made because of inexperience and mismanagement of starting a pinball company, delays happened because of vendors, everything has to be designed (from artwork to brackets) to absolute perfection before proceeding, "making games is hard", MG is about 75% complete overall, code is about 60% complete. NDA's were done because everything at WMS was done with a closed door approach, and JPop thought it was best to continue that, but learned later that it wasnt.

#17654 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

"The cash burn. You know, obviously the more you're not building anything, the more you're just spending money."

Why rent a large studio which cost thousands of dollars if it was going to be 40+ months of cash burn! If you're a small company be small and don't spend like you're a rock star!!

#17655 4 years ago

Despite him being aloud to waffle on, he at least confirmed the whole thing was a ponzi scheme. I wonder if his lawyer knew about this interview?

#17656 4 years ago

still listening.... against better judgement...

"You know building these games isn't really a big deal... I didn't lose any sleep on that part of the planning... but it's a parts problem... can't build then if you don't have all the parts (guess he took a page out of someone else playbook with that excuse)"

brutal - listening to him talk about Pintasia- and how he was concerned about THEIR credibility/ability to follow through.... nearly lol when he brought up the Sabrina Wei fiasco....

"its between 75% and 90% done"

"I'm very good at costing..."

I know the guy isn't a investigative journalist, but jesus- this was a horrible interview.... the guy asks a question, the lets Jpop blather on for 15 minutes uninterrupted on 25 different topics- none of which answering the question. It's like a "fan interview."

#17657 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Also, maybe Jpop will be dumb enough to show up to expo.

After listening to this podcast, I have NO DOUBT that jpop will show up to Expo and / or PBL.

#17658 4 years ago

He just could somehow weasel his way into the Expo Banquet as the speaker. Pacek & Berk could retire on all of the last-minute ninety buck tickets for a buffet. Well, maybe not retire, but they could buy another pinhauler or maybe a new tie or something....

#17659 4 years ago

I'm only an hour into it but I think Nate's doing a good job. Every question is basically about all the screw ups - Nate is in no way kissing his ass. John even admitted to his own arrogance and pride ...and he even said "I'm slow". I know that doesn't get anyone refunds but he admits he'l doesn't quite process reality in the same way that most of us do.

#17660 4 years ago

In May, Jpop said,

"Dear Owner, Zidware no longer has the ability to get Magic Girl™ into production let RAZA and Alice in Wonderland (“AIW”). "

Now he's apparently back in business and "continuing to move the game along"?

He's making it sound like CABLING is his biggest challenge left for MG? wtf?
AND still talking about what's left with not just MG but also RAZA and AIW....

Simple question,
"John, just 4 months ago said the company was not solvent and COULD NOT continue. With zero new money coming in, why are you now suggesting things are still progressing?"

#17661 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

"You're kinda in the moment, and people are kinda happy you're doing something...and ... and ... and... you know sending you..you know their hard earned money and you're investing it in building up the company, and you know trying to do it as best you can in a... in a... you know a proper.. you know a proper fashion and so its umm yeah it's really hard to explain. It's definitely like a wave. And umm yeah so I don't know."

I chose to read this and all the other quotes people are pasting here in Jeff Bridges voice as the dude. Goes down easier.

#17662 4 years ago

Who is "We"? Does John have imaginary workers or a mouse in his pocket?

#17663 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm only an hour into it but I think Nate's doing a good job.

Keep listening.... pretty sure you'll modify your opinion by the end.

Here's the big finale:
Nate: Anything else you want to tell folks out there?
JPop: Yes, I want people to know I don't give up, you know, WCS took 10 years to get right...
Nate: Sure
Jpop: And don't forget about taxes... 20% gets upped off the top and I wrote the governor about it...
Nate: Yup
JPop: Yeh, its just a lot of stuff to do... and like JJP and Stern have dozens of people helping them with office stuff
Nate: Ok, thanks well Ive enjoyed the conversation and best of luck to you and hopefully the next time were' talking about games shipping.
Jpop: Thanks Nate- yeah- well- we're REALLY CLOSE to MG production and the others close behind.... and now its getting to the fun part.
Nate: Appreciate it John...

Certainly Jpop gets a bit WTF..... but... sadly...so does Nate.
WTF Nate.... just wtf.

#17664 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

he admits he doesn't quite process reality in the same way that most of us do.

I would have rather trusted my money to Timothy Leary.

#17665 4 years ago

Here's my rundown

No set up for manufacturing

Vendor not helping slowed things down

Jersey Jack missed shipping dates and they had more resources

One year to make cabinet

Got a lot done with little money

McAfee virus guy messed up.

Needed to keep people busy, hence three games

Nda as that's how it used to be

He talks of working 10-12 hrs a day not 14

Needs 10-15 people to run a pinball company. Spooky who?

Says he does not not lie to people and tells truth

No one offered to help him

wCS took 10 years too get made

20 percent went to government. -etc?

Real close to getting magic girl made

Ponzi scheme confirmed

Ready to get mg cabinets

I do not applaud this crap. I think Nate did very okay. He needed to press John a little.

#17666 4 years ago

This interview was a torture to hear. He talks and talks on and on without saying much.
Basically he saying WE did it wrong but don't blame me. I am like this.

...What a douchebag.

I feel sorry for every supporter to hear this...

#17667 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Keep listening.... pretty sure you'll modify your opinion by the end.
Here's the big finale:
JPop: Yes, I want people to know I don't give up, you know, WCS took 10 years to get right...
Jpop: And don't forget about taxes... 20% gets upped off the top and I wrote the governor about it...
JPop: Yeh, its just a lot of stuff to do... and like JJP and Stern have dozens of people helping them with office stuff
Nate: Ok, thanks well Ive enjoyed the conversation and best of luck to you and hopefully the next time were' talking about games shipping.
Jpop: Thanks Nate- yeah- well- we're REALLY CLOSE to MG production and the others close behind.... and now its getting to the fun part.
Certainly Jpop gets a bit WTF..... but... sadly...so does Nate.
WTF Nate.... just wtf.

What was Nate to say? Jpop talked about what Jpop wanted to talk about. Jpop didn't have good answers. Nate sounded fatigued at the end, as any normal person would be.

#17668 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Ah, this interview was recorded in 2013... that's the only way the above makes sense.

#17669 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm only an hour into it but I think Nate's doing a good job. Every question is basically about all the screw ups - Nate is in no way kissing his ass. John even admitted to his own arrogance and pride ...and he even said "I'm slow". I know that doesn't get anyone refunds but he admits he'l doesn't quite process reality in the same way that most of us do.

I disagree completely. Yes, some of the questions that he actually asked were fine. But good God man, you don't just ask a question and let the guy go off on a complete tangent lasting 10 minutes at a time, talking about some shit that had nothing to do with the question.

He let him ramble...and ramble...and go wherever he wanted to go. He was never kept on track. Nate admits at the beginning of the podcast that he "let John talk." Boy, did he. Nate's ultra laid back demeanor in this interview made it even more difficult to listen to. Nate never pushed back, and more often than not would just say things like "sure" and "yeah" as he let John ramble on and on.

Ugh.

Nate also stated at the beginning: "I like John Popaduik a lot" and I think this actually comes through in the softball interview.

#17670 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Says he does not not lie to people and tells truth

No one offered to help him

This is funny, that he says he didn't lie, and the next thing he says is a lie.

Because he also hid (not lied) and obfuscated (not lied) about the situation, no one even knew how bad things were until the very end. Hell, you listen to this interview TODAY, and his version of things, and he's got Magic Girls ready for production soon.

#17671 4 years ago

Well if Nate had come off like an angry mob, John would have just walked out.

#17672 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Are we sure this isn't a Twilight Zone show or some kind of punk'd episode? "Really close to MG production and the others close behind.........."

Quoted from lowepg:

pop: And don't forget about taxes... 20% gets upped off the top and I wrote the governor about it...

Psycho babble at its finest. My mind is blown again!

#17673 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I disagree completely. Yes, some of the questions that he actually asked were fine. But good God man, you don't just ask a question and let the guy go off on a complete tangent lasting 10 minutes at a time, talking about some shit that had nothing to do with the question.
He let him ramble...and ramble...and go wherever he wanted to go. He was never kept on track. Nate admits at the beginning of the podcast that he "let John talk." Boy, did he. Nate's ultra laid back demeanor in this interview made it even more difficult to listen to. Nate never pushed back, and more often than not would just say things like "sure" and "yeah" as he let John ramble on and on.
Ugh.
Nate also stated at the beginning: "I like John Popaduik a lot" and I think this actually comes through in the softball interview.

Right off the bat he says its unedited. He could have edited to make John look better or worse - but I think playing the rambling unedited version is Nate's way of just letting John incriminate himself without screaming at him like we all would like to.

I'm not letting John off the hook for anything but I think Nate asked him specific questions and why everything got fucked up and John rambled out his answers.

I think it would be really interesting if now Nate did follow up interviews with Cointaker, Jeremy, customers (if willing to talk) and other people who were involved.

#17674 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

That's by far the biggest WTF of them all!

Nate, games are never going to ship.....NEVER. You know that! JPop knows that! We all know that!

#17675 4 years ago

Okay so I listen to it out of curiosity and if you are a fan of John or a customer that got screwed I suggest you don't bother. You will be sickend.

To sum it up he is still delusional and continues to slowly plod along trying to complete said machines even though he is out of money has no money coming in and being sued. He is not one to give up.

It almost seemed to me a very poor attempt at an alopolgy and a cry for help. Both very weak and or pathetic.

I am sure any lawyer would have advised against doing what he did, but as usual he does things his way so. Wow, it is extremely depressing.

I have to disagree with a couple things. I do not think the Pinball community is that small. I do not think Saturday is the correct day either. My whole family is Roman Catholic hardcore and that saturday statement I have never heard who knew?????

And once again all the Pinball community all forums and all Resource like Nate's Podcast should be giving themselves a pat on the back for spreading the word and stopping this kind of insanity. Obviously many people got hurt and it is a shame but many more could have falling prey and then fooled as well.

Honestly the first time I even noticed John or his supposed pins was at the point of Alice in Wonderland how it got that far is beyond me.

I guess I will just have to keep praying something good comes out of this.

#17676 4 years ago

This just reinforces how much of an absolute loser JPop is.

He is an arrogant piece of shit that should never have gotten the chances he did in the first place.

#17677 4 years ago

John is trying to get hired. The bit about how he has changed and that it was a good that he turned down Stern's "generous offer" because he wouldn't have been good for them at the time. Now he has learned so much and has changed and would be great on a team.

So Stern, JJP, Heighway, etc. John is ready and willing to come work for you now!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#17678 4 years ago

How does 20% go to taxes?

Is he talking about personal income tax? Boo-hoo welcome to the real world.

Is he talking about paying taxes on money collected? how does that work? he hasn't sold anything so no profits to speak of. I'm confused.

#17679 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Well if Nate had come off like an angry mob, John would have just walked out.

Please. You don't have to "come off like an angry mob" by trying to keep an interviewee on track and from rambling.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Right off the bat he says its unedited. He could have edited to make John look better or worse - but I think playing the rambling unedited version is Nate's way of just letting John incriminate himself without screaming at him like we all would like to.

Who in the world suggested that it should be edited? Nobody. That has nothing to do with the way in which Nate conducted the interview. And nobody is suggesting that Nate should have screamed at him.

Really...did you listen to the interview? There wasn't even an *attempt* to keep him on track. Quite the opposite.

#17680 4 years ago

The situation is analogous to McAfee and McAfee is in Africa (I disagree). Sometimes you are just spending CA$H and not building games (I agree).
(*disclaimer*) I really like Cirqus Voltaire.

#17681 4 years ago

Listened to the whole thing

"well yeah" was said 5000 times

He speaks like mid 30's women snake oil sales rep.

#17682 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is he talking about paying taxes on money collected? how does that work? he hasn't sold anything so no profits to speak of. I'm confused.

Too bad he didn't have a tax professional offer to step forward and help him navigate that. No one offered to help. No one said a peep here on pinside, no tax lawyers around, no nothing.

So he's left writing letters to the Governor about his bad situation. Good gravy.

#17683 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

He's a moron. Who knows what he's talking about, it's NOT Illinois state income tax or sales tax. Yet he supposedly said he called the Governor to complain.

WTF. Dummy probably paid federal income tax on every dime he collected.

Maybe Aaron's right, he's angling for a job with JJP or Stern? Surely he can't believe anyone would hire him now OR that anyone would ever buy a pin designed by him?

#17686 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I do not think the Pinball community is that small.

Pinside has approx 30,000 users and 4000 or 5000 login every day. And we know Pinside is just 1 slice.

#17687 4 years ago

I had a hard time staying awake listening to this. Not engaging at all. John's answers were weak and went off on different subjects. I felt sorry for John after listening to this. It definitely made me feel, like he's grasping at straws here. I am not sympathetic at all to John's situation. Until he has made restitution, he can ramble on all he wants. He's dead to this community, at least from my perspective. He doesn't know when to quit either. That is another reason not to trust what he says or does. The investor part of me says, "Run away from this, Run fast and hard".
Still feel for those caught up in his deceitful web of lies and "unreality".

#17688 4 years ago

Also, he said he has no more funds coming in since everybody stopped sending in money. He said he's now using his personal savings to fund the project.

As for the question about starting designs for multiple games, he said that in order to retain his artists/designers, he had to keep giving them new stuff to work on.

#17689 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

he said he has no more funds coming in sinice everybody stopped sending in money

Funny how not delivering product turns off the money tap.

#17690 4 years ago

Listening to this...What a damn waste.

At one point he blames that nobody helped? I know that is not entirely true.

It's clear he had no idea what he was doing (running a business). Kept saying it's "Hard". No kidding, running any small company is hard work.

Not blaming Nate....But he let JPOP dodge key issues, and ramble about a bunch of "nothing".....

#17691 4 years ago
Quoted from OzarkKing:

(*disclaimer*) I really like Cirqus Voltaire.

I prefer it virtually, allows you to quickly make subtle changes that make it play a bit differently
cirquis_jpop1.jpg

#17692 4 years ago

I never knew he sounds like kermit the frog....no offense kermit

#17693 4 years ago

Well, did he say.......

Sorry.jpg

#17694 4 years ago

image.jpg

#17695 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I assume 20 % was his tax rate on the money he paid himself.

#17696 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I assume 20 % was his tax rate on the money he paid himself.

What would the State of Illinois and the Governor have to do with that?

He turned down help at every turn. I'm glad he did in my case. So many "business people", vendors and others in the pinball community.

He did all this to himself. He's a shameless con artist.

#17697 4 years ago

Interview reminds me of this ...

#17698 4 years ago

No one agreed to fund a start up. We agreed to purchase a product. He still doesn't understand that basic concept.

#17699 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I had a hard time staying awake listening to this

Haha I starting listening to it in bed last night about 11pm and I made it through about 15 mins before I dozed off. Must have been the monotone of drivel.

When I started again this morning, when he said "nobody offered to help" I said to Danni "old mate Iceman will lol at that one!!"

rd

#17700 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

No one agreed to fund a start up. We agreed to purchase a product. He still doesn't understand that basic concept.

Anyone who ordered agreed to fund a startup.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 124.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 354 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside