(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 486.
#1701 4 years ago

Copyright issues aside, the purple on dark blue on light blue color palette just looks like a color muted jumbled mess, especially when backlit with purple LEDs. Earlier versions looked better in my opinion. Sometimes less is more. "Every frame is so dense"

Come to think of it there are a lot of similarities between John and George Lucas. (4:50)

#1702 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

The model we are pursuing is similar to indie record labels. When the band and the label are releasing a record almost like a joint venture. Some games will be more expensive to produce than other. Some games will be more in demand than others. Some games will require more label involvement to be developed, while others come in ready to be mass produced and distributed.
At a point the "machine" takes over and much of the process can be systematized and hopefully certain advantages of economies of scale can be taken across multiple titles. Platforms for documentation, code update distribution, even pooled customer support are a part of a professional release. These are all critical to a successful game launch.
I feel that pinball needs a model that lets designers be designers and not suddenly also have to be engineers, marketing, biz dev, production line manager, logistics, support, etc.
Please PM if you want to I discuss any of this. I did say I would stay off this thread.
Aaron

As a pro musician I must chime in.Yes a partnership would be nice.but in the music biz the artist provides 100% of the content.Music and lyrics.The label provides the distribution and promotion of the product that the artist provides/creates.Just because you pre order doesn't mean you are providing content.Actually you are funding a project.Thats it.You have no "content" but you got money and thats what all these boutique co. need because they can't fund it themselves.No different than any other kickstarting situation.
FAST Pinball
Post edited by fastpinball: speling erors

#1703 4 years ago

With all the designers brought out of retirement by Stern and JJP,why not Jpop?

#1704 4 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

With all the designers brought out of retirement by Stern and JJP,why not Jpop?

As the story goes, there were discussions with Stern at some point but its not the environment for him. I would agree with that.

It's too late now though. He's got people's money for 3 different games, can't "go get day job" at this point.

#1705 4 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

As a pro musician I must chime in.Yes a partnership would be nice.but in the music biz the artist provides 100% of the content.Music and lyrics.The label provides the distribution and promotion of the product that the artist provides/creates.Just because you pre order doesn't mean you are providing content.Actually you are funding a project.Thats it.You have no "content" but you got money and thats what all these boutique co. need because they can't fund it themselves.No different than any other kickstarting situation.
FAST Pinball

This was my post it got worked into the OPs quote on the pinball/music biz analogy.

#1706 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

70% chance the *Rug* Reveal is just that... a reveal of something only tangentially related to the game itself like the empty cabinets at Expo. JPop appears to still be juggling 3 games at once as indicated with his latest AIW payment letter. I hope he comes through, but it's going to be a long haul for you guys either way.

Went back and re-read Jpops post about his goal for a "rug reveal". It was clearly stated that "The Lebowski Effect" was his goal and that "the game better be solid before you show it" in reference to small builders. This is totally his make it or break it time. A "no-show" is not an option at this point.

#1707 4 years ago

Yeah but the hinges have Zs on them...

#1708 4 years ago

Well if he wants to amaze and astound people with "The Lebowski Effect" maybe he'll start refunding people.

#1709 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Went back and re-read Jpops post about his goal for a "rug reveal". It was clearly stated that "The Lebowski Effect" was his goal and that "the game better be solid before you show it" in reference to small builders. This is totally his make it or break it time. A "no-show" is not an option at this point.

If it's anything less than the greatest pin ever made, he's about to get the full "lebowski effect". Just not the one he's thinking of.

#1710 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well if he wants to amaze and astound people with "The Lebowski Effect" maybe he'll start refunding people.

Zing!

#1711 4 years ago

Since JPOP announced AIW December last year, I'm hoping Tesla pin (game 4 ) will be announced by the end of the year so I can send in my down payment and enjoy this roller coaster ride.

#1712 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Since JPOP announced AIW December last year, I'm hoping Tesla pin (game 4 ) will be announced by the end of the year so I can send in my down payment and enjoy this roller coaster ride.

I have now heard 4 different parties considering a Tesla based pinball title. Saying you are doing one just to "secure" the theme is garbage.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1713 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

I have now heard 4 different parties considering a Tesla based pinball title. Saying you are doing one just to "secure" the theme is garbage.

Yeah the "dibs" thing is nonsense. Especially when then it is years away and small runs.

#1714 4 years ago

I'm hoping Tesla pin (game 4 ) will be announced

Is this for real? Ben heck wanted to do that theme even before starting AMH. In fact I'm pretty sure ben has a backglass hanging on his shop wall.

#1715 4 years ago

In advance of the MG reveal, here is what I'm thinking as a potential buyer.

What if Jpop does the reveal and then asks the remaining spots on the waiting list to pony up the full $17k?

Raise your hand if you are willing to do this at this point, even if it looks like the greatest pin ever

I can't see doing it, in fact without a clearly laid out plan describing how they are going to get built and a definitive timeline, it would be hard to put anything down.

Or would you be willing to drop the entire 17k down upon reveal, even after the DP debacle?

#1716 4 years ago

South Park has some good advice on the whole preorder thing...

#1717 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd be satisfied with that.

#1718 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Is this for real? Ben heck wanted to do that theme even before starting AMH. In fact I'm pretty sure ben has a backglass hanging on his shop wall.

Looks like it is being worked on to me. Taken right from the Pinball Inventor FB page.Zidware.jpgzidware2.jpg

#1719 4 years ago

This was absolutely a Ben Heck idea.

#1720 4 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

This was absolutely a Ben Heck idea.

And who's idea was Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland?

#1721 4 years ago

I don't know, but this picture sure looks cool.

BHZA picture.jpg
#1722 4 years ago

John's. What's your point?

#1723 4 years ago

The art and games are awesome.. Just wished he get his shit together..

#1724 4 years ago

Good ideas come together from both of them.

#1725 4 years ago

I think we all should wait until the reveal. Lots of "same old" posts everyday on this thread.

#1726 4 years ago

how hard is it really to get a working prototype done and playable

#1727 4 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

how hard is it really to get a working prototype done and playable

If the art, game rules, playfield layout, display animations and sound are complete, not hard.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1728 4 years ago

that would be a production ready game i said prototype lol

#1729 4 years ago

I have a good feeling a working game will be revealed. Patience.

#1730 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I have a good feeling a working game will be revealed. Patience.

Of course u do. U havnt been around the last three years like us wAtching this. Ur around for the final steps...

#1731 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Of course u do. U havnt been around the last three years like us wAtching this. Ur around for the final steps...

Really no need to get hostile. Did you really think a pinball machine would go from concept to production in less than 3 years? Especially one that's innovative, highly detailed and such a work of art? I feel bad people have waited so long, but trust me, the wait will be worth it. This pain will end soon enough.

#1732 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Really no need to get hostile. Did you really think a pinball machine would go from concept to production in less than 3 years? Especially one that's innovative, highly detailed and such a work of art? I feel bad people have waited so long, but trust me, the wait will be worth it. This pain will end soon enough.

Wasn't trying to be hostile.. Just came off that way..

It's been too long... Yes it will be amaze balls and people will throw more
Money at him this month when he shows it all.. If he shows it all.... But what he does after another influx of money will be important. He needs to take those funds finish the first game and ship... If he continues to move toward three and fourth title before first if compelted it's more of the same bullshit

#1733 4 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

that would be a production ready game i said prototype lol

LOL. True, true. If we are talking a fun whitewood. Come out to the shop. We can get one up in a few days.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1734 4 years ago

Zen Pinball has had a Tesla table for years, its kind of an obvious idea, similar to how Alice in Wonderland is.

#1735 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I think we all should wait until the reveal. Lots of "same old" posts everyday on this thread.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread.

#1736 4 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

BHZA picture.jpg 58 KB

Darn, THAT's the game I wanted. crazy mad scientist game. Most people had issues with Ben's name being on it, because it sounded like it was HIS game, not just a character in it, but the character itself as a crazy scientist was always good.

So that art was shit canned and we now have mars attacks.

#1737 4 years ago

God dang Kaneda! How dare you jump in this now. Cmon dude!! Or wait did you also buy a secret spot on this game?

#1738 4 years ago

I also was ok with the original story. The big art changes were my first concerns that made doubt timelines and take my refund.

#1739 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This pic was the game I originally pre-ordered though.

Quoted from woodworker:

Quoted from frolic:

Darn, THAT's the game I wanted. crazy mad scientist game. Most people had issues with Ben's name being on it, because it sounded like it was HIS game, not just a character in it, but the character itself as a crazy scientist was always good.

So that art was shit canned and we now have mars attacks.

Quoted from ChrisVW:

Copyright issues aside, the purple on dark blue on light blue color palette just looks like a color muted jumbled mess, especially when backlit with purple LEDs. Earlier versions looked better in my opinion. Sometimes less is more. "Every frame is so dense"

Beyond the delays, here is my biggest issue. I absolutely LOVED the look and the theme of the original game concept. It was zombies first and foremost. From the characters to the color scheme. The direction this game has gone is all bad in my eyes. Not only have there been 17,000 art revisions, but somehow this has become more about aliens invading Cirqus Voltaire. I mean really, CV was cool and the wild color scheme was unique, but RAZA has turned into a crazy florescent caricature of CV. All other drama aside, I'm not nearly as excited about the game he's "showing" today as I was about the one I originally signed up for.

People talk about "skittles" and "clown puke" with the bad LED jobs some people do to their games. At least you could remove those bad bulb decisions. Somehow this game has taken that concept and baked it right into the artwork. I would trade RAZA for BHZA in a heartbeat!

#1740 4 years ago

Looks like it is being worked on to me. Taken right from the Pinball Inventor FB page.

Zidware.jpg 45 KB

zidware2.jpg 28 KB

Hmmm... so that is game #4 (not including KISS), while we wait for a TIMETABLE of delivery (forget about the actual delivery date).

#1741 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Hmmm... so that is game #4 (not including KISS), while we wait for a TIMETABLE of delivery (forget about the actual delivery date).

I am hoping Tesla is game #4. Seems that is the one I want to jump on board being I actually see some possible artwork from that game that is eye candy for me.

I don't want to jump onto AIW since I don't know what the artwork will be like. I don't like creepy monsters and that game would have a potential of that type of artwork.

#1743 4 years ago

I don't want to jump onto AIW since I don't know what the artwork will be like. I don't like creepy monsters and that game would have a potential of that type of artwork

If MG and RAZA get released, I'd love to jump on AIW. But I'm definitely not going anywhere near it until we see things delivered and happy customers.

#1744 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

If MG and RAZA get released, I'd love to jump on AIW. But I'm definitely not going anywhere near it until we see things delivered and happy customers.

There lies your dilemma. Once the public sees the MG and RAZA artwork and finds out about the AIW preorder, I do see that list filling up quickly. That preorder is still not widely known, so there is a chance to get on the list right now. End of this month, I doubt there will be a chance.

#1745 4 years ago

This thread makes me want to start using Acid. Pure insanity!

There lies your dilemma. Once the public sees the MG and RAZA artwork and finds out about the AIW preorder, I do see that list filling up quickly. That preorder is still not widely known, so there is a chance to get on the list right now. End of this month, I doubt there will be a chance.

I am hoping Tesla is game #4.

#1746 4 years ago

End of this month, I doubt there will be a chance.

Pretty sure by the end of this month no one will thinking about sending Jpop any more money.

#1747 4 years ago

Lets see if even 1 game gets finished before the end of the decade. This small run thing is absolutely unsustainable.

#1748 4 years ago

That preorder is still not widely known, so there is a chance to get on the list right now. End of this month, I doubt there will be a chance

I doubt it. People are pretty gun-shy at this point. TBL showed just how messy things can be behind the scenes. Anybody who buys into AIW at this point hasn't been reading the JPop threads and will probably pull out down the line.

#1749 4 years ago

Off topic, but what happened exactly with TBL?

#1750 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Off topic, but what happened exactly with TBL?

U serious?

Check the thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fargo, ND
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside