(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 344 of 487.
#17151 4 years ago

Mike you could do all of those things yourself and help everyone here out. Why don't you? You don't need legal standing to help your fellow hobbyists right a wrong. You know what happened. IMHO you are now complicit by inaction - like not helping a drowning friend. You claim to "know" what to do - so do it. Help. Just sitting pointing out what should be done by others indicates a really ego centered personality and I think you could do better. You even used examples to show your expertise in these matters. Use it!

#17152 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Here are a few examples of things I've done when I've been screwed by companies.. much bigger companies where I was much less important...

The problem with your examples is that those were companies who actually cared about their reputation.

The attorney general, which is for the State, not the city, and FYI Jpop is not located within the city of Chicago, regardless, she has much higher priority issues to take on, ones that impact a large number of her constituents (e.g. whether state workers should be paid during a budget impasse, going after a business that has illegal foreclosed on hundreds of home owners, etc.) vs an issue of a couple of hundred people, most from out of state, not getting a product they ordered from a start-up business. Not saying she would not care, but, not like it would be a top priority.

It is more likely that civil court action will move this along.

#17153 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I've also heard stories where people will order a T-1 line for a month, then cancel it. In order to provide a T-1 line, that requires them to run the lines and equipment. Then since the backbone is there, you can order a more affordable service like DSL.

Except that would be a crapshoot. T1 can still run over copper much further than DSL... the limiting factor for T1 is simply available 'space' in terms of trunk cabling. DSL on the other hand is limited by distance from the headend and can be blocked by certain technology. Net result... getting a T-1 to your house won't make the CO any closer nor will it garuntee they'd extend anything but physical wiring (and hence, not extending the reach).

#17154 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

But if you get the media involved and you're relentless; if you call attention to how local law enforcement are "letting people rip consumers off and not taking action" they will be forced to respond.

The media and the general public aren't going to care very much. It's not a hot button, late-breaking, headline-making story that is rife with controversy or political intrigue.

Plus, do you really want the only thing that the general public knows about pinball to be this whole situation?

It's probably best to let this worm its way through the courts, though it make take a while. I'm assuming everyone who put down some preorder money has talked to a lawyer at some point about this?

#17156 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Were they investors or were they buying a product?

IMO Investors. Its hard to buy and take possession of a product that doesn't exist.

#17157 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Mike you could do all of those things yourself and help everyone here out. Why don't you? You don't need legal standing to help your fellow hobbyists right a wrong. You know what happened. IMHO you are now complicit by inaction - like not helping a drowning friend. You claim to "know" what to do - so do it. Help. Just sitting pointing out what should be done by others indicates a really ego centered personality and I think you could do better. You even used examples to show your expertise in these matters. Use it!

I wish it were that simple, but it's not.

I am not the person who was wronged here. If I run around making a fuss it doesn't look right. Nobody wants to hear from some guy who wasn't a victim of the scam? Where are the people who actually were taken advantage of? If I call the action reporter and tell them "my story", it's meaningless. If I tell them "this happened to a friend" they'll hang up on me. There are certain journalistic standards. They don't want to hear it from me. I'm not a principal in the crime. They need to hear it from someone who was involved. Someone who engaged in a contractual relationship, was made promises and was taken advantage of. Otherwise it's "hearsay."

I had someone contact me that offered to pay me to help them, but they didn't want to get involved. But I can't do that. First off, I do not want to profit from anybody else's misfortune. That's just not right. But secondly, I can't really create the waves because I'm an outsider. Yea, I guess I could cut JPop a check and wait 3-4 years and then I'd have my own case, but seriously... I'm not going to do that. It really doesn't make sense.

#17158 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The problem with your examples is that those were companies who actually cared about their reputation.
The attorney general, which is for the State, not the city, and FYI Jpop is not located within the city of Chicago, regardless, she has much higher priority issues to take on, ones that impact a large number of her constituents (e.g. whether state workers should be paid during a budget impasse, going after a business that has illegal foreclosed on hundreds of home owners, etc.) vs an issue of a couple of hundred people, most from out of state, not getting a product they ordered from a start-up business. Not saying she would not care, but, not like it would be a top priority.
It is more likely that civil court action will move this along.

I was involved in a civil case a few years back that got the FBI involved that did result in several politicians being indicted and imprisoned. But that's a rare situation where a civil case actually brings justice... and even then, it really was the result of some rather heavy-duty activist behavior (that embarrassed the feds into having to take action because the civil case uncovered much more than they were able to discover on their own -- again the act of embarrassing the enforcement branch had more to do with with justice than the actual civil case)

There have been situations where I've been wronged and I've let it go. I had one of my servers hacked into many years ago. I got the FBI involved, we identified the perpetrator, they took the case to the local AG and they refused to prosecute. That was that? Well, that's the way I left it. I could have made it more of an issue but I choose not to. But AGs will prosecute if it becomes an "issue" for them. That's basically what AGs do. They *always* selectively enforce the law, because they don't have the resources to prosecute every wrongdoer.

Look at the guy who got nailed for hacking Sarah Palin's e-mail account. Do you think he was really a serious criminal? Some people made a big stink about that so the authorities had to so something about it. Any case, no matter how big or small, can be one of those cases they choose to prosecute IF there's enough of a movement to pressure the enforcement branch to take action. That's what it comes down to. I'm not arguing that there may not be bigger fish to fry. I'm saying, this fish could be fried if people want it fried.

#17159 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

If this were in Australia one of the current affairs programs would have loved this story, they love going after people who's taken money.

Crap, they didn't care about the bumper action mess

#17161 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I'm not arguing that there may not be bigger fish to fry. I'm saying, this fish could be fried if people want it fried.

You are wrong until you prove otherwise.

You could help. But you won't. I guess ... Thanks anyways? For not helping.

Your callous comments show no empathy or compassion for families that have been scammed out of thousands of dollars. And you say you could help , but say you won't .

Let's be clear - I presume you are blustering/not being truthful. If you are not fabricating - then prove it, help these victims. That's what this should be about, right? Justice for the victims? Or do you feel like victim blaming is better for everyone?

IMHO - We cannot continue to blame victims here on Pinside. There are scammers here - we should recognize that and call em out when we see them. And if someone like Mike could get off his stump and actually DO something we might see real results, maybe. But commenting on a Pinside thread does not seem to me to be much action. There are guys here who have gone MUCH further to try and deal with this - including me.

#17162 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I was involved in a civil case a few years back that got the FBI involved that did result in several politicians being indicted and imprisoned. But that's a rare situation where a civil case actually brings justice... and even then, it really was the result of some rather heavy-duty activist behavior (that embarrassed the feds into having to take action because the civil case uncovered much more than they were able to discover on their own -- again the act of embarrassing the enforcement branch had more to do with with justice than the actual civil case)

Edwin Edwards by chance? Love the book "Bad Bet on the Bayou" by the way. Bally got a lot of ink in that book.

#17163 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-are-building-a-minions-pinball-updates-every-friday

Check our topic,we are killing a JPOP machine in our Minions pinball build,first P-ROC real pinball project.

Updates every friday and inbetween if we have fun updates!

Please share your knowledge on this fun home use/homebrew pinball machine!

#17164 4 years ago

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

#17166 4 years ago

Success !
Well you already have a logo and tshirts, that's what John also had.. now you're a real pinball company !

#17167 4 years ago

More foamcore! That's what the pros use dude, keep it up!

#17168 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

You are wrong until you prove otherwise.
You could help. But you won't. I guess ... Thanks anyways? For not helping.
Your callous comments show no empathy or compassion for families that have been scammed out of thousands of dollars. And you say you could help , but say you won't .
Let's be clear - I presume you are blustering/not being truthful. If you are not fabricating - then prove it, help these victims. That's what this should be about, right? Justice for the victims? Or do you feel like victim blaming is better for everyone?
IMHO - We cannot continue to blame victims here on Pinside. There are scammers here - we should recognize that and call em out when we see them. And if someone like Mike could get off his stump and actually DO something we might see real results, maybe. But commenting on a Pinside thread does not seem to me to be much action. There are guys here who have gone MUCH further to try and deal with this - including me.

I said before, I'm not in a position to do more than encourage/assist those who were scammed to take action. I don't have *standing*.

One more time...

1. criminal action > civil action
2. criminal investigation requires someone to pursue charges
3. that involves someone who was a victim
4. that is not me

Someone who was scammed needs to be a figurehead to rally interest and support for an investigation. I could call the local action reporter, but they want to talk to someone who was scammed. That's not me. And if the people that were scammed are unwilling to stand up and speak to the press and authorities and promote the pursuit of justice, then nobody else will either.

This isn't "victim blaming." It's reality. If you don't have a victim. You don't have a crime.

#17169 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

There have been situations where I've been wronged and I've let it go. I had one of my servers hacked into many years ago. I got the FBI involved, we identified the perpetrator, they took the case to the local AG and they refused to prosecute. That was that? Well, that's the way I left it. I could have made it more of an issue but I choose not to. But AGs will prosecute if it becomes an "issue" for them. That's basically what AGs do. They *always* selectively enforce the law, because they don't have the resources to prosecute every wrongdoer.
Look at the guy who got nailed for hacking Sarah Palin's e-mail account. Do you think he was really a serious criminal? Some people made a big stink about that so the authorities had to so something about it. Any case, no matter how big or small, can be one of those cases they choose to prosecute IF there's enough of a movement to pressure the enforcement branch to take action. That's what it comes down to. I'm not arguing that there may not be bigger fish to fry. I'm saying, this fish could be fried if people want it fried.

This is true. If anyone with media chops can get the word out there's a chance it could light a fire.

#17170 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I said before, I'm not in a position to do more than encourage/assist those who were scammed to take action. I don't have *standing*.

But you do have standing if like me you have invested countless hours in this thread

#17171 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

image.jpg image_1.jpg image_2.jpg

oMFG. I know someone that would want this game in the worst way.

1 week later
#17172 4 years ago

thread_is_dead.jpg

#17173 4 years ago

How's the legal system doing with this?

#17174 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

How's the legal system doing with this?

Like it always is. F ed up.

Not a F ing thing is ever gonna happen on the "legal" front other than the lawyers making $$

Zane D. Whatever is happy though

#17175 4 years ago

My opinion on the end game is that it fizzles into nothing in the court system. Its a failed business, with optimistic early deposits, that ran its course and has no $ left and nothing to recover, except maybe a few vendor payables. There will be no claims paid out of the Zane lawsuit. The could be a second court case to force bankruptcy and liquidation , but the economics will likely be, there are costs (in court and legal fees) for a group of preorder folks to force a bankruptcy and little hope of being awarded anything as pre-orders with there being few assets, and most sale proceeds likely go to vendors like Cointaker and GreatPlains, Pinball Life, etc.

#17176 4 years ago

It's really sad to see this and the Kevin Kulek thread slowly fade away. After so much passion for the games followed by even more passion for justice, it's beginning to look like they're both gonna get away with conning people.

Sure, their reputations are toast, but at this point, who cares?

#17177 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

My opinion on the end game is that it fizzles into nothing in the court system. Its a failed business, with optimistic early deposits, that ran its course and has no $ left and nothing to recover, except maybe a few vendor payables. There will be no claims paid out of the Zane lawsuit. The could be a second court case to force bankruptcy and liquidation , but the economics will likely be, there are costs (in court and legal fees) for a group of preorder folks to force a bankruptcy and little hope of being awarded anything as pre-orders with there being few assets, and most sale proceeds likely go to vendors like Cointaker and GreatPlains, Pinball Life, etc.

so basically you're fucked!!!!
that would never be good enough for me
i support the victims

#17179 4 years ago

I do not believe we intend to shut this thread down. It is slow now, basically stopped, but if there is a deposition or something like that it will fire back up I am sure. For now, just sit tight and let's see what Zane or whoever comes up with.

#17180 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

thread_is_dead.jpg

But, there are still updates going on for Alice:
http://www.pinballinventor.org/feed_aiw.html

His last post is sounds like he's having a brain aneurysm as he writes:

"After the posts and rubbers go on then we can start to add playfield plastics and other parts on "top". In this cas the caps that cover the bumper bocies. These will have a bight "dual-sided" led lamp board installed!"

#17181 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Fulltilt said:
thread_is_dead.jpg
But, there are still updates going on for Alice:
http://www.pinballinventor.org/feed_aiw.html
His last post is sounds like he's having a brain aneurysm as he writes:
"After the posts and rubbers go on then we can start to add playfield plastics and other parts on "top". In this cas the caps that cover the bumper bocies. These will have a bight "dual-sided" led lamp board installed!"

Oh gosh, I thought he was done with the "updates" on a game he will never make.

#17182 4 years ago

John says "we" a lot in his latest updates. Who is "we"?

#17183 4 years ago

How in the world is this thread still alive? It's been one of the trashiest threads on pinside ever. A revolving door of bad information, threats of physical violence, victim blaming and other BS.

And now what? You want to keep it open just in case somebody has a spare can of gas to get it started again in the future. Great, the eternal Pinside dumpster fire. It's like our own monument to bad investing practices and in fighting.

My prediction: There is no info coming other than this.

John was broke.

None of you who gave him money will be getting anything of substance back from any legal outcome.

Everyone should use the info in this thread as a warning about investing money into new companies.

You mods do as you see fit but this thing is, has and will always be a total dumpster fire. Strange that now that is has burnt out you want to keep it going just incase.

Shut it down. Move on. Nothing to see here other than broken dreams and poor behaviour.

#17184 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I think it might be him and Tony.

Danny.jpg

#17185 4 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

Shut it down. Move on. Nothing to see here other than broken dreams and poor behaviour.

Feel free to move on yourself.

The mods want to contain the dumpster fire in one place.

Meanwhile, as the legal situation develops, this is where it will be contained versus other Jpop threads popping up. Get it? I do agree, nobody is getting any money back and John won't be made to account for anything.

#17186 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Him and his imaginary friends. Including those who swore MG and RAZA were just about completed and that they saw the whitewood in action.
FHfIF.JPG

#17187 4 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

How in the world is this thread still alive? It's been one of the trashiest threads on pinside ever. A revolving door of bad information, threats of physical violence, victim blaming and other BS.
And now what? You want to keep it open just in case somebody has a spare can of gas to get it started again in the future. Great, the eternal Pinside dumpster fire. It's like our own monument to bad investing practices and in fighting.
My prediction: There is no info coming other than this.
John was broke.
None of you who gave him money will be getting anything of substance back from any legal outcome.
Everyone should use the info in this thread as a warning about investing money into new companies.
You mods do as you see fit but this thing is, has and will always be a total dumpster fire. Strange that now that is has burnt out you want to keep it going just incase.

If you find this thread offensive you can just drain it or not open it. Why forcibly shut it down rather than let it flame out eventually on its own? If it's shut down then when some news comes we will have new threads popping up. Also I think people want it open so that new pinsiders who aren't aware of the situation can find out about it in all its gory details. And we have been trying to get this thread to pop up on the search engines as well to raise awareness to the public as well. I just don't see what advantage there is to locking threads, particularly this one.

#17188 4 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

If it's shut down then when some news comes we will have new threads popping up.

Exactly.

Quoted from kst8cat:

I just don't see what advantage there is to locking threads, particularly this one.

None.

#17189 4 years ago

The phrase "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" never fit a situation as well as it does Zidware.

I agree with many above, they'll be very little to collect (as less with each passing month John keeps the lights on) but the longer he draws it out, the more he makes his personal assets a target. You'd think having a nice home for his young kids would be a bigger priority than his pride, but again, we're not talking logic here.

#17190 4 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

How in the world is this thread still alive? It's been one of the trashiest threads on pinside ever.

As long as every single "customer" of John Popadiuk's fraud is out $10k+, this thread should NEVER die. The only trash is John. Even if they never get a cent back, it's the principal of it. John must admit to what he's done and apologize for it, and try to make it right. Until that happens, we will never stop discussing that piece of shit. He F's the pinball community...we F him back. F him. If you think this story should disappear quietly into the night, then F you.

#17191 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

You'd think having a nice home for his young kids would be a bigger priority than his pride, but again, we're not talking logic here

He is a renter.

#17192 4 years ago

He RENTS that house he lives in?

Ahem... again... not dealing with logic here I guess.

#17193 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

He is a renter.

Quoted from benheck:

He RENTS that house he lives in?

I don't think so, there was a whole discussion how he's been late paying his property tax because he negotiates a lower price. I don't know any renters that pay property tax.

#17194 4 years ago

Sad story. I wish all that purchased this imaginary product the best in getting their hard earned cash back.

Remember Rambo's speech! Nothing is over you just don't turn it off!!

Sad to see updates on John's part. That means he is likely getting new (victims) to support his arts and crafts time.

One would think pushing the first game to the end would come first. Not updates to the third title.

#17195 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't think so, there was a whole discussion how he's been late paying his property tax because he negotiates a lower price. I don't know any renters that pay property tax.

I though when Dale looked up his address in the tax records, it was in someone else name?

#17196 4 years ago

I'm sure there are still past pre order buyers of AIW still sending in payments to this guy, oblivious to what has happened!

And it appears he's still trolling for new "customers".

Whatever happened to StevenP?

What a shameless and despicable human being John is.

#17197 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm sure there are still past pre order buyers of AIW still sending in payments to this guy, oblivious to what has happened!

Oh right yeah that makes perfect sense.

I think that is more evidence of scammer. Good job! Keep those updates coming.

#17198 4 years ago

This thread is useful and should continue IMO for when the next updates come, which they will. Also, closing the thread would in a sense let Jflop get away with it. This farce should not yet be consigned to the dustbin of history. It's an important part of pinball history, and shows how pinball collectors should apply a high level of due diligence even for a famous designer with great PR spin skills. Moreover, it hopefully kills the pre-order model as it was during the pinball bubble era.

As for the legal case, will the plaintiffs like me get all their money back? Probably not. But the case ensures that Mr Popadiuk, his wife and his company do NOT get away with this. Their most recent communication to the court mentioned they are considering bankruptcy, so this seems to be the likely course as the case progresses (speculation). So he will not be 'in the clear' at the end of this. He will be a bankrupt, with all the credit implications of that. It really is the least of many possible outcomes he deserves IMO. Time will tell...

On a more positive note, I had a great time with many others during the UK Pinball Party and Heighway Pinball factory tour yesterday in south Wales, led by Andrew himself, and including the awesome 'no phones' Alien reveal, with dark artwork like the movies as you'd hope. I was particularly impressed by the progress in setting up manufacturing lines and purchasing equipment e.g. the £90,000 Canon printer to print playfields etc. It struck me that this was the next step that Jpop, for whatever reasons, was incapable of taking. Instead, he bounced back to design and foam again, stuck in a sub-manufacturing loop, never able to take it to the 'next level'. Tragic for him and for all of us

But we are where we are, and the legal case will force closure of this issue on Jpop, which he is seemingly incapable of doing himself, whether due to his psychological issues again, or a rather blatant legal ploy 101. Or both, of course.

#17199 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The phrase "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" never fit a situation as well as it does Zidware.
I agree with many above, they'll be very little to collect (as less with each passing month John keeps the lights on) but the longer he draws it out, the more he makes his personal assets a target. You'd think having a nice home for his young kids would be a bigger priority than his pride, but again, we're not talking logic here.

Even worse, its like he's rearranging them after it sank.

#17200 4 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Even worse, its like he's rearranging them after it sank.

Far from sunk yet. He's still captaining his ship!!! Look at those AIW pictures and tell me he's sunk. He's still playing the victim and trolling for suckers/victims!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 344 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside