(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 338 of 491.
#16851 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Let's see what Pat does when "budget" isn't the issue.

Budget is always an issue. Remember, the days pat was at stern the budgets were pretty healthy. And hobbit looks cost reduced compared to the original woz. Hell, the current woz is cost reduced compared to the original woz. If you aren't in business to make money you won't be in business long.

#16852 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Budget is always an issue. Remember, the days pat was at stern the budgets were pretty healthy. And hobbit looks cost reduced compared to the original woz. Hell, the current woz is cost reduced compared to the original woz. If you aren't in business to make money you won't be in business long.

What? Have you seen the mechs in Hobbit? I doubt the BOM is cheaper than WOZ. If so, barely. The current WOZ is cost reduced? Huh? Are you talking decaled cabs vs cleared? If so...per Jack the decals cost more. Believe it or not. Wherever you go...there you are!

#16853 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

It's all relative isn't it? Listen to Pat's own interviews and words regarding Stern versus Bally. He was there I think in the heyday of Bally and cost cutting days of Stern.

Like I said, we'll see soon enough won't we? That's what this is all about after all with Pat.

#16854 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's all relative isn't it? Listen to Pat's own interviews and words regarding Stern versus Bally. He was there I think in the heyday of Bally and cost cutting days of Stern.
Like I said, we'll see soon enough won't we? That's what this is all about after all with Pat.

No, actually you said lets see what he does when budget isn't an issue. But I agree with the wait and see attitude.

#16855 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Did Jack's OPINION take any money out of your wallet?

Are you for real?

Seriously, I have to bite my tongue so hard it bleeds when I read stuff like this.

Quoted from Cornelius:

But, for the millionth time, it's merely his opinion!

For the millionth time: NO SHIT SHERLOCK!

#16856 8 years ago

I wouldn't say you're doing a great job of biting your tongue. Or not mashing your keyboard.

#16857 8 years ago

Forgot to add an emoticon

#16858 8 years ago

Budget and time should ALWAYS be an issue.

Otherwise you end up with Magic Girl.

#16859 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I wouldn't say you're doing a great job of biting your tongue. Or not mashing your keyboard.

Quoted from Cornelius:

Forgot to add an emoticon

We've got your point, 30 posts about the same thing. We get it, Jack is a good dude although he supports John and bans people for pasting his own letter, he's a good dude.

#16860 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

We've got your point, 30 posts about the same thing. We get it, Jack is a good dude although he supports John and bans people for pasting his own letter, he's a good dude.

Well since I didn't say he was a "good dude" once and you're repeating yourself hysterically, I don't think you've got it quite yet.

#16861 8 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

JJP is doing something that Pat himself said he never had before, total creative freedom.

Seriously? You're telling me he had any restrictions when he made Safecracker? The game was an original theme, complete new form factor (size), unlimited budget, etc, etc and it sucks. The only selling point is it is a unique collector's item and it is "different". Roadshow was original theme, wide body, and seemingly unlimited budget and it sucks big-time too. I love Lawlor's early work, but I am not holding my breath for JJP #3 based on the "what have you done for me lately" theory. Pat has not put out a great game since TZ - 22 years and counting.

#16862 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Oh, but believe me, I am!

#16863 8 years ago

.............so, what is new with Poopaduce?

#16864 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Seriously? You're telling me he had any restrictions when he made Safecracker? The game was an original theme, complete new form factor (size), unlimited budget, etc, etc and it sucks. The only selling point is it is a unique collector's item and it is "different". roadshow was original theme, wide body, and seemingly unlimited budget and it sucks big-time too. I love Lawlor's early work, but I am not holding my breath for JJP #3 based on the "what have you done for me lately" theory. Pat has not put out a great game since TZ - 22 years and counting.

Safecracker and RS are AWESOME! Have you played them? If he builds like that (with a better theme) I'd be happy. We know the rules will be great at least with Ted and Keith.

#16865 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Safecracker and RS are AWESOME! Have you played them?

I've owned the both in the past. Safecracker is unique but gets old fast. Roadshow is a little better than Popeye, so basically the sixth best Superpin behind IJ,TZ, STTNG, DM and JD.

Funhouse: now that was a great game.

Edit: sorry done with OT posting in this thread.

#16866 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Pat has not put out a great game since TZ - 22 years and counting.

No great games in last 22 years?! How about RBION? Severely underrated title.

#16867 8 years ago

#16868 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

ok Ill play "be cool or be cast out"

That could be JJP's forum slogan

#16869 8 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

No great games in last 22 years?! How about RBION? Severely underrated title.

Maybe that's his best STERN title, and certainly could be called a "good" game, but "great"? No way.

It's an old conversation, but I think PL did his best work at B/W and his Stern stuff was just weak... some bright spots in a few games, but as a whole, disappointing.

Even his B/W games that perhaps weren't "great" certainly had some very unique ideas: Banzai Run, Safecracker, Earthshaker, etc.

In comparison, the Stern stuff looked like he was mostly "going through the motions" on mostly licensed gigs.

#16870 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

In comparison, the Stern stuff looked like he was mostly "going through the motions" on mostly licensed gigs.

But what does that say when the games are mostly projects PLD did, that they just handed over to Stern to manufacture? They were games built by Pat in his studio under his label.

#16872 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But what does that say when the games are mostly projects PLD did, that they just handed over to Stern to manufacture? They were games built by Pat in his studio under his label.

I'm not taking the oft-used excuse that it was "all Stern" or "Stern cramped his creative style" or "stern was too cheap" - I'm simply saying his best work was done at B/W - by a LONG margin.

#16873 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Maybe that's his best STERN title, and certainly could be called a "good" game, but "great"? No way.
It's an old conversation, but I think PL did his best work at B/W and his Stern stuff was just weak... some bright spots in a few games, but as a whole, disappointing.
Even his B/W games that perhaps weren't "great" certainly had some very unique ideas: Banzai Run, Safecracker, Earthshaker, etc.

RBION and FGY are his only good Stern games IMO...I would venture to say they're even great. RCT, Monopoly, NASCAR, and CSI on the other hand are not great, but at least they ALL have cool ideas and aren't cookie cutter layouts.

Edit: I'm not sure what you mean by "going through the motions". Those games have unique features. SR is more "going through the motions" with the same recycled layouts...albeit awesome ones.

#16874 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Seriously? You're telling me he had any restrictions when he made Safecracker? The game was an original theme, complete new form factor (size), unlimited budget, etc, etc and it sucks. The only selling point is it is a unique collector's item and it is "different". roadshow was original theme, wide body, and seemingly unlimited budget and it sucks big-time too. I love Lawlor's early work, but I am not holding my breath for JJP #3 based on the "what have you done for me lately" theory. Pat has not put out a great game since TZ - 22 years and counting.

NGG is pretty damn fun to play.

#16875 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

RBION and FGY are his only good Stern games IMO...I would venture to say they're even great. RCT, Monopoly, Nascar, and CSI on the other hand are not great, but at least they ALL have cool ideas and aren't cookie cutter layouts.

CSI was finished by Borg with cost cutting measures in place. Some playfield elements were changed and another pop bumper and ramp removed.

-c

#16876 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Budget and time should ALWAYS be an issue.
Otherwise you end up with Magic Girl.

Or in JJP's case you end up with a whole lot less profit or possible losses. That monthly fixed overhead doesn't stop churning out over and over. They need to kick it in gear much sooner than later and apparently Pat's game will be "ready to go when announced" (whatever that means).

Obviously, there is or should always be a "budget". Pat has a whole lot more to work with $$ wise on JJP versus his time at Stern. That's the point.

JJP should be able to sell enough pins at their price to justify what's in Pat's game. I'm sure they have "budgeted" it out

Whether they actually do, remains to be seen. I'll be a buyer if it's the old Pat.

#16877 8 years ago

It'd probably be easier to change the thread title by now than re-rail this thread.

No jpop news to speak of, but this has become the popular chat room so chat will continue. Personally I love banzai run and consider it great and a classic, if a bit on the gimmicky side.

#16878 8 years ago

Meanwhile back at the JPOP Ponzi scheme headquarters

http://www.pinballinventor.org/feed.html
image.jpgimage.jpg

#16879 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

image.jpg

These were posted back earlier, on the days that the news was actually posted to the feed.

Good to see nothing new's been posted there..

#16880 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

and CSI on the other hand are not great

I think CSI is great....

#16881 8 years ago

image.jpg

Funny, when you "Follow the white rabbit" to this page

http://www.pinballinventor.org/alicepinball/chapter2/pagemenu.html

Every link is clickable to show his doodles, but not the Rules link. Guess its all about the doodles

#16882 8 years ago

"Hey check it out, I made a swirling background behind this logo! My skills at typing 0 and 360 into After Effects are second to none, thanks to what I learned at Bally/Williams. Please send me one million dollars (or a painting of equal value)"

#16883 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Funny, when you "Follow the white rabbit" to this page
http://www.pinballinventor.org/alicepinball/chapter2/pagemenu.html
Every link is clickable to show his doodles, but not the Rules link. Guess its all about the doodles

Notice the link: "Chapter 2"

... Chapter II ... Chapter 11 ... aaahh!

#16884 8 years ago

So. Many. Typos.

The crazy is leaking.

#16885 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I think CSI is great....

I do too great toys and with LEDs the look is incredible. The one I got from Greg in Arizona is incredible and I have yet to tire of playing it. He dud a great job of getting it custom modded and powder coated.

#16886 8 years ago

image.jpg

Not a Ponzi scheme. That implies someone other than John benefitted. I think every but John lost.

#16887 8 years ago
Quoted from generica:

No jpop news to speak of, but this has become the popular chat room so chat will continue.

I've got a "collector quality" Medieval Madness for sale. Some have said it "looks like a HEP".

Maybe that'll get the chat going....

#16888 8 years ago

Every time I look at that feed and see the "Distributors" tab it makes me laugh. Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.

#16889 8 years ago

Popamywifeisgoingtoleaveme.

#16890 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Agreed.... fewer budget constraints *AND* not being hamstrung by constantly having to cow-tow to a licensor.
Seems like he's literally got:
a blank canvas
a kickass new platform to stretch
a blank check (well, within reason).
pretty damn exciting!

Dude... seriously... enough with all the JJP posts... someone told me this was a jpop thread!

#16892 8 years ago

Then why come here? You know how it works. The Jpop discussion is over in the MMr repair thread.

#16893 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Dude... seriously... enough with all the JJP posts... someone told me this was a jpop thread!

Lol... Yup... You're right.

However talking about the return of Pat Lawlor is a helluva lot more inspiring then the greek tragedy of Jpop.

And, since they were both characters from pinballs recent past, perhaps it IS relevant to contrast the two different paths they took.... Ok.... Yeah- that's a stretch

#16894 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Every time I look at that feed and see the "Distributors" tab it makes me laugh. Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Quote.jpgQuote.jpg

#16895 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

roadshow is a little better than Popeye,

The most stupid statement i have heard all month.

#16896 8 years ago

Yeah, popeye is way cooler!

#16897 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Yeah, Popeye is way cooler!

Then you are going to LOVE JPop's updated version of MG:

JPopeye.jpgJPopeye.jpg

#16898 8 years ago

I like the fact you went through the extra effort to add the GREAT HARM lights. You even matched the font.

#16899 8 years ago

I don't think "Great Harm" letters match at all.

They're FAR too legible.

#16900 8 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Then you are going to LOVE JPop's updated version of MG:

JPopeye.jpg

Zap Zap Zap... That is EPIC!

Quoted from s1500:

I like the fact you went through the extra effort to add the GREAT HARM lights. You even matched the font.

No way a regular pinhead could of pulled this off... woodworker must of graduated from JPOP's pinball school.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 338 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/338 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.