(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 328 of 487.
#16351 4 years ago

Why is it OK for Ben to say whatever he wants about JPOP but Jack gets criticized when he says something? And he said it on the JJP forum not pinside. I'm not saying whether I agree with what he said, just pointing it out. Double standard or just the usual Pinside drama?

#16352 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Why is it OK for Ben to say whatever he wants about JPOP but Jack gets criticized when he says something?

I don't think anybody here ever gets a free pass.

You think Ben and Jack's comments are comparable? Really?

You realize it's about WHAT they said, not that they said something.

If Ben started suggesting it was the pinball community's fault that JPop failed, he'd be heavily criticized too.

#16353 4 years ago

where did yall see those new AIW posts? I thought he took the private blogs down after his I cant finish these games letter & all the resulting fallout

#16354 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

where did yall see those new AIW posts? I thought he took the private blogs down after his I cant finish these games letter & all the resulting fallout

http://www.pinballinventor.org/

Oh the irony, Games with a "coming soon" tag. Soon, you mean this century ?

#16355 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Here is the letter from Jersey Jack for those that missed it:
JPOP Thoughts
19 Jun
Jersey Jack
"My personal opinions:
This is the JJP Forum but there is obvious spillover as it's all Pinball.
JJP was able to start because you, the loyal customer base of PBSC believed first in me and then in the Team and in what we were doing. You bought into a dream, an idea, a hope and ultimately a game(s).
The Pre-Pay crowd-funded model seemed good. Get money, build games. We all know that road was and is littered with land mines and huge chasms. Not everyone can navigate them and yes the Journey is The Reward and all that.
We have learned a lot and we have much to still learn. This is a marathon and not a sprint and it's not for everyone, obviously.
About six weeks ago at his invitation I visited JPOP at his studio. I don't know John. I've never said more than a few words at shows where I saw him. I like the games he has designed and like everything in this industry, it has many stories and many twists and turns.
When I was there I was impressed at what I saw. Though I felt a bit blinded by what appeared to be a "game" Magic Girl was to me, a "Box of Lights" and I mean that in a very respectful way. I myself had paraded a box of lights around in June of 2012 at E3 and NW Pinball but that was a different kinder and gentler time when hope sprung eternal.
Still John had MG in some place where it could be a game if the right amount of time, expertise, money and magic was applied, this could be a good game perhaps. But it was not ready to be played, shot on or shown as a near finished product.
My friend Bill called me to discuss his best efforts to revive or to save this dream that John had. Bill is a wonderfully hopeful guy that had every good intention. In the process he subjected himself to public ridicule, humiliation, scrutiny and all at the cost of over $100,000 to his wallet. His associate was likewise skewered in public by the angry mob and even the few hopeful, hapless know it all armchair experts that do nothing and have never done anything worthwhile.
It made for great drama and great reading on the forum. After all bad news sells newspapers and good news, well.... zzzzzzz. So, Bill went on his Mission which became Mission Impossible. Nobody can step into this fray or in front of a moving train and survive.
I read most of the posts and I spent some hours talking with John. Is he a genius or a moron? Is he a diabolical thief or a bad businessman? Did he intend to defraud or was it a bad plan of events? He knows and he must look himself in the mirror. I believe he is a good designer and a bad businessman. I do not believe his intent was ever anything other than to deliver the best most innovative game he could design. The guy redesigned leg bolts! I mean who makes PC boards Purple? Waste of money or Passion??
He got way ahead of himself. I asked him - John - If you had a house with ten rooms and enough paint to finish one room, why would you try and paint all ten rooms? He did Magic Girl, Zombie, Kiss, Alice...what else.....years of passion, blood, sweat and tears of his life to do this. Pinball is (or was) John's life. He did it for you, those who believed in him. He did not intend this to happen, it happened because of poor planning, because of negative posts cutting off and panicking his buyers. Because he was too secretive and not communicating in a broad sense....who knows - all of this is my guess...I don't have the facts of the financial or anything else. It's just what it appears to me personally and not commentary on behalf of JJP.
John is a mere Mortal like all of us. He is flesh and blood and has feelings. He has a wife and kids and they have feelings too. Those who "invested" in him - well - you got what you paid for. You got to be on the roller coaster ride of ups and downs. You got to be an insider and an outsider. You had the money to burn for a big toy that nobody needs and that money got burned alright. It was used to fund a startup, most all of which fail in the first formative years as perhaps John's may have.
You already have received your pound of flesh and if you truly cared about Pinball all of you would have rallied as a group to help the poor guy figure out what he has and what could be saved if it was possible. Instead, the lynch mob storms the castle with pitchforks and torches. Hang the guy, so what satisfaction is that. He did his best and maybe his best was not good enough but it was his best. Done.
Next, who knows what happens, that's a legal thing. Sue him or not. Forgive and forget or hold a grudge and let it consume you. Live and Let Live.
The guy and his family have suffered enough, really, he has. He is out of Pinball. Aside from his family that was the thing in life he loved most. Bigger things have failed and smarter better funded people have failed. John is not a failure, his company is a failure.
I feel bad for the people who lost money and I feel bad for John and especially feel bad for Pinball in general."

Wow with all that has happened with JJP over the last four years putting yourself in the JPOP mess like Jack did is foolish.

#16357 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Why is it OK for Ben to say whatever he wants about JPOP but Jack gets criticized when he says something? And he said it on the JJP forum not pinside. I'm not saying whether I agree with what he said, just pointing it out. Double standard or just the usual Pinside drama?

Basically because Ben is on the "burn JPOP" train and Jack is on the "JPOP's suffered enough" train. Pinside agrees with Ben.

#16358 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Easy.

Well, for starters.... Ben is right

Jack is.... well.....um.... what's the opposite of right??

i think jack is entitles to his opinion.... however the optics of him sharing it would be 1000% better if he made those comments AFTER shipping TH!

#16359 4 years ago

1. Ben doesn't own a pinball company that is sitting on a ton of pre-order money. Jack is closer to being JPop than he is to being Ben.

2. Ben has earned more people's respect than Jack has.

3. Ben has no reason to be politically correct. Jack has no reason not to be.

#16360 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Meanwhile Gary Stern is probably laughing his ass off, building an underwater secret lair complete with laser beam death rays...

sounds like a great idea for an original theme for the next stern release...

#16361 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

1. Ben doesn't own a pinball company that is sitting on a ton of pre-order money. Jack is closer to being JPop than he is to being Ben.

ouch.

#16362 4 years ago

Also, Ben never said the buyers got what they paid for.

#16363 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Seriously? The problem with Jacks post is he throws pinside, which is JJP'S OWN CUSTOMER BASE, under the bus as a bunch of worthless losers. This is truly delusional conduct for someone in his position. Pinside is not the problem.

#16364 4 years ago

JERSEY_CIRCLE_JERK.jpg

Quoted from lowepg:

he should have just stopped right there.

nice.... now 'were getting some prime Jack.... "all the pinside critics have never done anything worthwhile"
Amazing jack has the time to keep up with EVERYONE elses accomplishments to make this statement...

So, after admitting he doesnt know the guy, he *IS* able to determine his intent? Pretty impressive.

eh, you forgot about the part where he was housed and salaried during this "arduous blood/sweat/tears ordeal" So, lets be fair, "he did it" for a salary and all expenses paid gig... He risked OTHER PEOPLES MONEY.... not his....(sound familiar?)

There it is! The reason for jack to wade into this shitnado- to blame pinside for Jpops failure! Of course! The damn critics! Waiting for him to coin a new phrase "PInside Mafia"

TH "investors" - please take note...

"Pound of flesh"? I think the folks burned would rather have their MONEY BACK, not a pound (or ounce) of flesh.

<group hug>
Wow....just wow....

#16365 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Why is it OK for Ben to say whatever he wants about JPOP but Jack gets criticized when he says something?

Ben Heck does a YouTube channel and works with Spooky, who produce games, and worked directly with Popaduik.

Jack is the CEO of the 2nd largest pinball manufacturer, doesn't actually know Popaduik at all, and in his comments blamed Pinside for Popaduik's trouble and tried to paint him as a sympathetic character.

#16366 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The problem with Jacks post is he throws pinside, which is JJP'S OWN CUSTOMER BASE, under the bus as a bunch of worthless losers.

I hope no Pinsiders will accept Jack's fake smiles and hellos at shows !

#16367 4 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I hope no Pinsiders will accept Jack's fake smiles and hellos at shows !

People take this stuff way too seriously.

Jack is entitled to his opinion just like anybody. The idea that he will be shunned at shows and that people will stop buying his games because of it...well I don't buy that. There's about 2,000 people saying Jpop is dogshit and maybe 5 who aren't.

Even Mondale won a state. I wouldn't lose much sleep over this folks.

#16368 4 years ago

There is a faction or even factions here on Pinside that fall into the criteria Jack described. I hope people don't think 100% of the "Pinsiders" here are positive and honest.

If I lost $5000 on RAZA and saw John working on AIW, id take a week off work and picket infront of his office and contact local media. I don't know how a lot of folks don't have more outrage. Seems like business as usual at the JPOP office.

#16369 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jack is entitled to his opinion just like anybody. The idea that he will be shunned at shows and that people will stop buying his games because of it...well I don't buy that. There's about 2,000 people saying Jpop is dogshit and maybe 5 who aren't.
Even Mondale won a state. I wouldn't lose much sleep over this folks.

A lot of rhetoric.. Lets have 1000 posts about how we disagree with Jack meanwhile he's pumping out games and JPOP is working on AIW.

#16370 4 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

. But JPOP never told the fucking truth and kept luring in customers long after he KNEW no machines would be ever made. Thats not a startup, thats an asshole ripping people off. .

Hard to argue with you on that point.

#16371 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It is a joke, Jack PMed me and told me not to say a fake hello to him. LOL It is a spoof on Jack's nonsense !

#16372 4 years ago

Picture removed by mods

#16373 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

A lot of rhetoric.. Lets have 1000 posts about how we disagree with Jack meanwhile he's pumping out games and JPOP is working on AIW.

Jack has made one game, it's not like he's the Henry Ford of the pinball industry. I'd like to see Jack shipping games rather than criticizing people who just want their refunds. If John wants to get back in the good graces of the pinball community he should start refunding all the deposit money. If John is not going to build MG and RAZA (he said as much) he should stop paying rent on a studio and use that money to repay the deposits and the vendors he owes money to.

#16374 4 years ago

I understand that a lot of people don't agree with what Jack said but I wouldn't compare his company to JPOP. JJP hasn't stolen money from anymore.

JJP has shipped over 2000 machines. JJP corrected the light board issue with WOZ and completed the games code. JJP has been actively showing and presenting at shows with a full working product of their next pin.

#16375 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

The way it's written sounds a bit like a prelude.

The way it's written sounds like a suicide note.

#16376 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP has shipped over 2000 machines.

You sure about that?

#16377 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP hasn't stolen money from anymore.

According to Jack, JPop didn't steal money from anyone either.

#16378 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

You sure about that?

At least 2000. 1000 ECLE's and 1000 standards.

#16379 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Plus Ruby Reds and the Australia "rescue" editions. It's gotta be at least 2000.

#16380 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Count me as IMPRESSED when the number of SHIPPED pins matches the number of PAID pins....

right now that's probably more like 2000 vs 3000

btw- I know you want that too!

#16381 4 years ago

And don't get me wrong, JJP deserves credit for passing the first "make or break" milestone: shipping his first game. Heighway, Spooky and others I'm sure I'm forgetting have also passed that milestone.

The next big one in my eyes is being able to transition out of the pre-pay model. Having Pat's pin shipping before taking any money for it, i.e. the Stern model, will signify passing that point. That goes for all new companies, not just JJP.

#16382 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Probably because Ben doesn't say stupid shit?!

#16383 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I understand that a lot of people don't agree with what Jack said

Do you?

Where do you stand on what he said in his post?

#16384 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

... I think you might mean "game". "Games" means more than one.

#16385 4 years ago

JJP's comments are pure BS. We"got what we paid for"? Wow, what a lack of class and understanding he has for the pinball community.

One thing he got right. Nobody needs these big toys. Most of all those made by JJP.

I was potential Hobbit buyer but won't burn my money to support this kind of crap.

#16386 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

My guess is... his lawyer has advised him to keep cranking out progress reports so it doesn't look like his primary attempt was to defraud people. It's very clever. Especially given his customers have been so emasculated they're unwilling to lobby for criminal charges. What a shame. People keep calling JPop an idiot, but it's turning out that he's smarter than his customers. If he took my money, I'd be calling the Illinois Attorney General every day until they launched an investigation.

Emasculated is right. I'd be at jpops shop. There is no money regardless of prevailing in a lawsuit, Kevin has proven the law won't give a crap.

#16388 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Jack has made one game, it's not like he's the Henry Ford of the pinball industry.

And not without a LOT of problems. Not to mention the long term reliability concerns... (which is the main reason I sold my WOZ)

Big Kudos to Jack for being a stand-up guy and fixing the major WOZ problems, but if he had not gotten them fixed, his name would be sliding around in the Pinside mud along with Jpoop.

I think Jack is being a pompous ass to post a letter such as that. He has always come off as a bit of a loud mouth (if you recall his comments about Gary Stern). But to blow his "all mighty" horn trying to squash the resentment and anger over the out right deception from John Popadiuk? SHAME ON YOU JACK GUARNIER. If it wasn't for the faith and support from Pinside, I feel pretty sure that Jack would be whistling a completely different tune.

#16389 4 years ago

Now. The fanboys wonder why many of us have constant problems with Jack/JJP. Like I've always said, Jack creates his own demons every time he posts. We don't create the drama, Jack does. The latest JPOP post is so outrageous even some of the fanboys are scratching their heads and rightfully so. So stop calling everyone who surfaces issues about JJP as trolls and instead look to Jack as the source. Gary Stern doesn't catch near the amount of BS jack does. Why? He doesn't post ridiculously stupid diatribes like jack just did.

Jpop customers got what they deserved? That one statement shows such a level of contempt for customers that it's unfathomable.

#16390 4 years ago

Quote from Jack's post

"You had the money to burn for a big toy that nobody needs and that money got burned alright."

Better watch out that we decide you're right and we don't really need those toys Jack. Now that could really hurt the bottom line.

We are customers and deserve a little more respect.

#16391 4 years ago

I'm having a hard time understanding why some people are now shocked..... SHOCKED... that Jack said or did something classless.

Jack has a deserved reputation of not only badmouthing pinball enthusiasts ("Wrongside", anyone?), but also people, like Gary Stern, who have spent a lifetime keeping pinball alive.

The man is his own worst enemy and I will never give him a dime.

#16392 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Do you?
Where do you stand on what he said in his post?

It was wrong to say. We have all said things we regretted and apologized for saying them. This is one Jack should apologize for in my opinion especially the "you had the money to burn..." comment. I bet Jack didn't even intend for the comment to offend anyone but it came off that way to many.

The $7500 I'm prepared to spend on The Hobbit is not money I have to burn. It's hard earned and I want to feel confident that I'll be getting a pinball machine with that hard earned money. I'm sure those that preordered a Predator or JPOP pin felt that same way.

#16393 4 years ago

Guys, Jack apologized a little while ago. Post 6945 in The Hobbit update thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/139

From the thread above

"I'm sorry that my post was misunderstood. I'm sorry that it confused or upset anyone. It was my personal opinion.
I always thank our customer base for putting us in business and I never forget that.
John is a person, with a family, that was the main point of my post.
This is Pinball"

#16394 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Guys, Jack apologized a little while ago. Post 6945 in The Hobbit update thread.
From the thread above
"I'm sorry that my post was misunderstood. I'm sorry that it confused or upset anyone. It was my personal opinion.
I always thank our customer base for putting us in business and I never forget that.
This is Pinball"

Nobody "misunderstood" Jersey Jack Pinball JJP. It was crystal clear. This is mere damage control.

#16395 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

John is a person, with a family, that was the main point of my post

Then he should have never involved his family (giving his wife a position at zidware), she doesn't get a free pass.
I don't have an ounce of sympathy for John, I do somewhat for his family. Seriously, can you imagine being Mrs Popadiuk? She's at some pampered chef party..
"What does your husband do?"
"He owns zidware"
"Oh, I heard he took a million dollars and spent it all and had nothing to show for it. I'll just put you down for a soup ladle"

#16396 4 years ago

I'll feel sorry for John when he's bankrupt and finished. Right now he's still playing pretend pinball designer, all the while ignoring his customers and not a lick of remorse.

#16397 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

From the thread above

He's not sorry he said it.... He's sorry if the rubes misunderstood or it was confusing to us and we got upset.

"It was my personal opinion". So he stands by it.

#16398 4 years ago

image.jpg

Who is the "we" he is referring to?

His imaginary friend maybe? Sure gets lonely when you're working in a large warehouse 20 hours a day 7 days a week.

rd.

#16399 4 years ago

Who says those pictures aren't a year old and just now being thrown online as evidence of continued progress for the courts?

#16400 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

From the thread above
This is Pinball"

Well Jack apologized and realized he shouldn't have said anything. We all say things we regret and I'm sure Jack certainly does in this case. He definitely is a guy that wears his emotions on his sleeve.

He's been his own worst enemy for a long time. I'm sure he's under a shit pile mountain of stress but that's no excuse for acting like that.

For me, I got a Woz from him, that I paid for several years prior but at least i got it, and its a great pin.

I'm not taking the focus off of the real disaster here, our buddy John.

I felt like I literally had to take BOTH hands and plant them firmly on the top of my head, applying great pressure, to keep it from popping off when I saw the recent AIW blog posts!!!

Despite everything that has happened, all the lies and BS, the entire joke, that AIW blog update is Twilight Zone material. Seriously, I can't even believe that is real. Somebody is playing a bad joke on us right now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Machine - For Sale
Baltimore, MD
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 328 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside