(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 324 of 487.
#16151 4 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

"The new custom topglass fits perfectly" seriously big F#@&ing deal.
Real hard to measure height and width...pop out the champagne (he probably did too!)

Not even some of the most pathetic Facebook users I know would bother to make a big deal out of glass fitting in a window for their home...you design the window you want and order glass and it comes.

Jeez, talk about JPop victory lapping silly stuff.

#16152 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not even some of the most pathetic Facebook users I know would bother to make a big deal out of glass fitting in a window for their home...you design the window you want and order glass and it comes.

all part of the jflop facade to show intent to build games and/or to try and fraud new "fans". what a skid mark...

#16153 4 years ago

That one is to flattering, yet still funny.

#16154 4 years ago

Has anyone talked to JPop recently? Has he indicated any remorse for his actions that anyone is able to relay or is he still the victim in his own eyes somehow?

#16155 4 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

That one is to flattering, yet still funny.

You gotta preface it with the Willy of course, rolls off the tongue better.

Willy Wonka-diuk.

Willy Wonka-diuk - "Buy a candy bar, win a golden ticket! Bill, you have the golden ticket! You win all my marvelous pinball creations!! And all those little Ompa Lompa guys wandering around aimlessly too! They're my fans!! It's all yours Bill! All yours!!"

Bill - "errrrrr no thanks. I'll give that a pass..."

rd

#16156 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Has anyone talked to JPop recently? Has he indicated any remorse for his actions that anyone is able to relay or is he still the victim in his own eyes somehow?

Did you listen to the Spooky podcast with Zombie Yeti? Three days before he talked on the show, JPop actually contacted ZY again for a quote on some more artwork he wanted done.

I repeat: John Popadiuk contacted Zombie Yeti, who was not properly paid for his artwork by John, to get a quote on more artwork. Does that sound like a guy who is going to apologize or feel remorse?

#16157 4 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Does that sound like a guy who is going to apologize or feel remorse?

sounds like a guy trying to protect his own ass when it's time to show proof he intended to produce a product. it's all pure 100% high grade b.s. trying to keep the scam legit. what a skid mark...

#16158 4 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Did you listen to the Spooky podcast with Zombie Yeti? Three days before he talked on the show, JPop actually contacted ZY again for a quote on some more artwork he wanted done.

I repeat: John Popadiuk contacted Zombie Yeti, who was not properly paid for his artwork by John, to get a quote on more artwork.

I listened this morning. It's amazing the blinders some people have on. I once worked for a company that had layoffs about once every other quarter. At one point, one of the production managers was let go, and as he was telling everyone goodbye one person actually started asking him work related questions. and he's like "umm, did you hear what I just said? I don't work here anymore, ask the person who's taking over my work"

#16159 4 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Three days before he talked on the show, JPop actually contacted ZY again for a quote on some more artwork he wanted done.

Because what these games need is more art revision

#16160 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Designing a part takes X amount of time.
Drawing patent diagrams (so your buddy StevenP can be an enabler by filing it for you at very low cost) takes X more amount of time.
This is time wasted because NOBODY CARES. Even if you have a good idea (which John didn't) people will just engineer their way around it. Patenting something early on makes sense, but who actually thinks the highest volume days of pinball are in the future?
But remember John was paranoid (and needed money) Maybe he hoped Stern would steal one of his ideas (that he stole from old EM's) and he'd get a windfall!

Ben somebody mentioned the idea that maybe he was patenting things personally, so that he could charge 'zidware' to use the patents in the game... as a harebrained scheme to get more money siphoned to him...

either way the whole thing was stupid. Like you said almost any patent can be worked around...

#16161 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

has anyone looked at his pinballinventor page lately? He's working so hard he doesn't have time for spellcheck:
http://www.pinballinventor.org/feed.html
pinballinventor_cant_spell.jpg
Wonder how well the machine was packed up bnefore they shipped it from the northwest back to chicago?

The whole thing about the piece of glass just blows my mind. He made the cab a weird size, and then keeps calling the glass 'custom' because it's slightly longer.

Anybody who's had EM's or even widebodies has probably had glass cut before, it's not really that big of a deal but he acts like it was some crazy custom part that was a big problem.

#16162 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Exactly! It's mind numbing. You can get glass cut at the hardware store...

#16163 4 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Ben somebody mentioned the idea that maybe he was patenting things personally, so that he could charge 'zidware' to use the patents in the game... as a harebrained scheme to get more money siphoned to him...
either way the whole thing was stupid. Like you said almost any patent can be worked around...

Not really stupid, patents are useful.
If he would've been bought out (which seemed to be his plan for a long time), having (useful) patents makes the company a lot more valuable. More than just having an idea / design for a toy.
I'm not sure if patents can be used to trade/negotiate with other companies. Say he wanted to use Sterns cabinet design, he could've negotiated that they could use one of his patented ideas on their games, instead of getting permission and paying royalties.

Although it was probably a dumb idea as you'd also need money to fight someone infringing on your patents..

He may just have patented everything because that was how things were done back at WMS, and that the only professional way in his mind.
Maybe someone who knows more about how things went at WMS can tell us more about designers and patents - did designers financially benefit from having patents in their name ?

#16164 4 years ago

Was at the bay area launch party for KISS and ran into a friend of mine. In for 10k to Jfail. He's resigned, by his own words, to take the loss, and "stick his head in the sand", and didn't want to talk about it. You could tell it was a sore subject for him. Who could blame him? But both he and his girlfriend said they didn't go in on KISS because they're "absorbing" the losses.

#16165 4 years ago

"he and his girlfriend said they didn't go in on KISS because they're "absorbing" the losses"

That is just so sad,no Jpop machine,no kiss,no nothing...

John,you are the biggest retard in history,these are the people you hurt.

And now they cannot buy another machine,cause you took their money.

idiot...failure was not an option,the community trusted you with hard earned cash....and you just blow through the funds like it's going out of style.

#16166 4 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Maybe someone who knows more about how things went at WMS can tell us more about designers and patents - did designers financially benefit from having patents in their name ?

I don't know about WMS, but engineering in general:
20 years ago you'd probably get $500 bonus and a bronze plaque with your patent on it
10 years ago you "might" get a plaque
Today, you don't get crap other than recognition (your name comes up in patent search). You work for a company, the company owns the patent, be glad you're working

At no point does an engineer ever benefit from patents, the company owns those. Patents don't really earn money (unless it's royalties). Patents prevent others from designing the same thing, or it's a negotiation tactic (I'll let you use my patent if you let me use yours).

#16167 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Because what these games need is more art revision

ROTFLMAO

#16168 4 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Does that sound like a guy who is going to apologize or feel remorse?

Sounds like a guy delusional enough to show up at Expo this year, not realizing he'll probably get popped in the mouth.

#16169 4 years ago

Popped in the mouth has a different meaning down here.!!!

#16170 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Was at the bay area launch party for KISS and ran into a friend of mine. In for 10k to Jfail. He's resigned, by his own words, to take the loss, and "stick his head in the sand", and didn't want to talk about it. You could tell it was a sore subject for him. Who could blame him? But both he and his girlfriend said they didn't go in on KISS because they're "absorbing" the losses.

Infuriating

#16171 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Was at the bay area launch party for KISS and ran into a friend of mine. In for 10k to Jfail. He's resigned, by his own words, to take the loss, and "stick his head in the sand", and didn't want to talk about it. You could tell it was a sore subject for him. Who could blame him?

I won't!

Quoted from jonnyo:

But both he and his girlfriend said they didn't go in on KISS because they're "absorbing" the losses.

Which tends to show that all these manufacturers are (were) competing with Stern, at least indirectly.
The money siphoned by Jpop and Skit-B (tell me about it!! ) is money lost for pinball, pure and simple.
My money spent on Predator would have gone to Star Trek or Mustang instead.

#16172 4 years ago

There's no getting around that this isn't just a failed business, but that a million dollars was taken from the COMMUNITY, not just some well heeled investor.

For certain that means a ripple effect and lost sales for other companies, or used games, or whatever.

#16173 4 years ago

Pinball machines hold their value very well, so a game in the home is like cash in the bank. Really, as long as you can make the initial investment you can then swap out / change machines for a nominal cost. Almost like leasing them.

When our sales were slow it was infuriating to see other boutiques (with much better sales) blow both their opportunity and your money up in smoke. That 5k you spend on Predator might be 6k a year from now when you sell it, then you could try our game. But not anymore.

We speculate this is how Spooky has stayed on Sterns good side - we are a competitor, but we're not a competitor destroying wealth.

#16174 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

20 years ago you'd probably get $500 bonus and a bronze plaque with your patent on it
Today, you don't get crap other than recognition (your name comes up in patent search). You work for a company, the company owns the patent, be glad you're working
At no point does an engineer ever benefit from patents, the company owns those. Patents don't really earn money (unless it's royalties). Patents prevent others from designing the same thing, or it's a negotiation tactic (I'll let you use my patent if you let me use yours).

I work at a Fortune 500 doing some engineering, we still get plaques and a cool 1500 for a patent so your mileage may vary on this. If its just a good idea you get a 100 for just submitting that, 750 if its a really good idea but not worth patenting. Some of these dudes around here submit an idea a week it seems like, easy money. All that being said, patents in engineering seem to be just a huge game for the most part that basically prevents companies from using the nuclear option on each other and are rarely used offensively and more defensively if at all.

#16175 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Pinball machines hold their value very well, so a game in the home is like cash in the bank. Really, as long as you can make the initial investment you can then swap out / change machines for a nominal cost. Almost like leasing them.
When our sales were slow it was infuriating to see other boutiques (with much better sales) blow both their opportunity and your money up in smoke. That 5k you spend on Predator might be 6k a year from now when you sell it, then you could try our game. But not anymore.
We speculate this is how Spooky has stayed on Sterns good side - we are a competitor, but we're not a competitor destroying wealth.

If I were Stern, I would try and buy Spooky. Something tells me Charley would not sell out easily.

Keep it up team Spooky!

Speaking of destroying value.
I was going to retire on this, had Jplopplopfizzfizzohwhatareliefitis had been a pinball hero instead of a weirdo.

image.jpg

image.jpg

At this point, I'm not sure if Jmop printed and "antiqued" 10,000 of these authentic Bally Prints.

#16176 4 years ago
Quoted from LapsedGamer:

I work at a Fortune 500 doing some engineering, we still get plaques and a cool 1500 for a patent so your mileage may vary on this. If its just a good idea you get a 100 for just submitting that, 750 if its a really good idea but not worth patenting. Some of these dudes around here submit an idea a week it seems like, easy money. All that being said, patents in engineering seem to be just a huge game for the most part that basically prevents companies from using the nuclear option on each other and are rarely used offensively and more defensively if at all.

RC?

#16177 4 years ago
Quoted from LapsedGamer:

I work at a Fortune 500 doing some engineering, we still get plaques and a cool 1500 for a patent so your mileage may vary on this. If its just a good idea you get a 100 for just submitting that, 750 if its a really good idea but not worth patenting

I need to work where you work. Corporations definitely vary. I once interviewed for a local guy that was renting a small warehouse space where he was basically a sub-contractor for other companies either solving engineering issues, or building production fixtures to assemble things more efficiently. Told me a story that he used to be a senior engineer for HP and saved the company something like 12 million a year, and his reward was to be laid off. His view of the corporate world was pretty well burned at that point, that's why he went into business for himself.

#16178 4 years ago

So I listened to the latest Spooky yesterday which (as Joe indicated) had an interview with ZombieYeti. The part that jumped out at me, and quite frankly I *STILL* can't believe it despite being able to believe anything after this fiasco, is that as recently as the last couple weeks, John actually sent an RFQ to ZY to have him quote doing some more work!!!

W... T... F... is this guy smoking?

Seriously John - do you have a mental disease?!? Do you live in reality or just your own fantasy world?

#16179 4 years ago
Quoted from LapsedGamer:

You know what I get for all that? A paycheck...

#16180 4 years ago

Just found this. Maybe Jpop should have watched it to learn how to build pinball machines.

https://vimeo.com/132337388

#16181 4 years ago
Quoted from LapsedGamer:

I work at a Fortune 500 doing some engineering, we still get plaques and a cool 1500 for a patent so your mileage may vary on this.

Heck, my company did not even tell me when I had one granted, I found out when I got a mailing from some company about buying a plaque, etc.

#16182 4 years ago

Payoffs for patents tends to come from companies with big initiatives to push for them in addition to your normal business... otherwise others may go 'oh hrm, good job'

Cisco for instance has payouts for ones that get submitted, and ones that get approved. And some locations put people up on the walls showing how many they have, etc..

#16183 4 years ago
Quoted from LapsedGamer:

Same here. Part of a JV of two NYSE COmpaNies. One is a Fortune 500. Those of us for partner "A" (Fortune 500) get $1500.00 for our first patent and $1100.00 for each additional. No plaque, but a "certificate of authenticity" and another one gets hung on a wall at headquarters. The other partner's employees get $4k for each patent. Years ago they instead got a royalty of 33 1/3¢ for each patented idea sold in a product. That was until we sold 200,000 of something one year then all of that stopped.

#16184 4 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

So I listened to the latest Spooky yesterday which (as Joe indicated) had an interview with ZombieYeti. The part that jumped out at me, and quite frankly I *STILL* can't believe it despite being able to believe anything after this fiasco, is that as recently as the last couple weeks, John actually sent an RFQ to ZY to have him quote doing some more work!!!
Seriously John - do you have a mental disease?!? Do you live in reality or just your own fantasy world?

It seems just a blatant attempt by Jflop to generate evidence that he is trying to build the product, and thus protect himself from any potential allegations of fraud, even though it's obvious that he's not being genuine with this (as usual). Basically, he's a liar.

#16185 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Heck, my company did not even tell me when I had one granted, I found out when I got a mailing from some company about buying a plaque, etc.

Being an employee sucks IMO, particularly if you work for 'every trick in the book' large corporations. Work for yourself through your own company. It's not just the greater (hopefully) earnings, it's the tax deductions. In the UK, for example, you can't even deduct cost of travel to work from your tax, if you're a PAYE (pay as you earn) employee, as almost all employees are. You can of course deduct this, and a lot more, if you're self-employed/work through your own company.

#16186 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

To think he has the audacity to infer that John Borg would steal his ideas is the most insane thing I've read this week.
Borg (heck even crooked lying Kevin Kulek) can design circles around JPop. JPop isn't fit to feed John Borg's cat.

Is it because of the oodles of time it would take to pick the right food?

#16187 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

To think he has the audacity to infer that John Borg would steal his ideas is the most insane thing I've read this week.
Borg (heck even crooked lying Kevin Kulek) can design circles around JPop. JPop isn't fit to feed John Borg's cat.

Is it because cat food doesn't come in neon colors?

#16188 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

The company I use to work for (and many of my engineering friends still work for) pays the employee $1500 per patent plus and extra $5000 if the employee submits 5 in one year.

#16189 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

That's their prerogative, but this is also what enables the scammers to keep scamming.

I continue to be amazed at how many people are willing to write off such a huge loss, especially to someone who really didn't ever seem serious about making good on his promises.

There are some battles that are worth fighting. This seems one of them.

Quoted from Jazman:

For all we know, Zidware is still taking deposits from unwitting people who aren't aware of the situation.

#16190 4 years ago

It's possible. Was talking to a pinhead friend the other day who had no clue Zidware imploded.

He must lead a happier life, away from the drama.

#16191 4 years ago

Yup Rockwell Collins. Its funny reading through all the disclosures, one guy had an idea for mounting a mini gun on front of a plane to eliminate bird strikes, that had a DENIED next to it, but for the most part if its a well thought out patentable idea they give you the benefit of the doubt on the submittal, it is a lot harder to get to the next stage of course, but people do every week.

#16192 4 years ago
Quoted from LapsedGamer:

Yup Rockwell Collins. Its funny reading through all the disclosures, one guy had an idea for mounting a mini gun on front of a plane to eliminate bird strikes, that had a DENIED next to it, but for the most part if its a well thought out patentable idea they give you the benefit of the doubt on the submittal, it is a lot harder to get to the next stage of course, but people do every week.

A shotgun would make sense.

#16193 4 years ago
Quoted from LapsedGamer:

Yup Rockwell Collins. Its funny reading through all the disclosures, one guy had an idea for mounting a mini gun on front of a plane to eliminate bird strikes, that had a DENIED next to it

Yeah, that sounds like genius.

Imagine a 777 taking off at JFK spraying the neighbourhood with 50cal bullets! Haha!

rd.

#16194 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, that sounds like genius.
Imagine a 777 taking off at JFK spraying the neighbourhood with 50cal bullets! Haha!
rd.

Mounting Jason Statham to the front would appear to be more effective.

image.jpg

#16195 4 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Mounting Jason Statham to the front would appear to be more effective.
image.jpg

Oh Schwing!!!schwing!!!.png

#16196 4 years ago

So...if nobody gets a pinball machine, why do we ALLOW john to still be spending our money?
I mean , it's obvious the machines don't get build, if there is only $5 left, freeze it and give all the buyers a few cents back?

Maybe there is 100.000 left? Do we have proof?

Why do we allow john to still tinker on with our money??

He asks zombie yeti for more artwork? If that is true we should tie him to a pole and throw poop at him...

#16197 4 years ago

This is what lawyers are for He will get what's coming.

#16198 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Just found this. Maybe Jpop should have watched it to learn how to build pinball machines.
» Vimeo video

IMG I want that!

$10,000 + by xmas

#16199 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

So...if nobody gets a pinball machine, why do we ALLOW john to still be spending our money?
I mean , it's obvious the machines don't get build, if there is only $5 left, freeze it and give all the buyers a few cents back?
He asks zombie yeti for more artwork? If that is true we should tie him to a pole and throw poop at him...

Have you joined the lawsuit yet?

#16200 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Maybe John should have a fund raiser with $100 per poop throw. I'd be in

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Goodyear, AZ
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 324 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside