(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 321 of 487.
#16001 4 years ago

#16002 4 years ago

Oh, very nicely done, rai

#16003 4 years ago

And a near miss... but so near!

#16004 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

And a near miss... but so near!

Yeah but in same time he cheated,he double post

#16005 4 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

Yeah but in same time he cheated,he double post

image.jpg

#16006 4 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Building a pinball company is about building a selling games, whether its 1, 15 or 5000. If a company wants to sell a handful of prototypes, they can do just that! Your original comment was about it not being relevant. John was a one-man show trying to develop, build and sell a game. Antonio is a one-man show who developed, built and sold a game. Sounds relevant to me. We are seeing first hand that it can be done, and you have to start somewhere.

The relevancy didn't have to do with it being a one person attempt... But as you edited out of the quote... About doing it in a way that you can actually make money at it and as a business. Hence the point about passion projects not really being relevant.

And John never set out with the ambition for these games to be a single person job. Even in his weird mind he knows he doesn't have all the skills needed and has hired in help the entire way.

Is agree with the points that Antonio and others have proven you don't need a big team to design something... But the comment was not about getting a concept together but actually doing it as a sustainable business

Clearly others have done more with less than john... But I think by now we all know the limiting factor for zidware was not resources...

#16007 4 years ago

Is anyone else surprised that out of ~120 customers, however many vendors, that only 11 are in the lawsuit ? Or do the lawdogs declare that typical , 10% or so ?

#16008 4 years ago

I'm in.

As for Gerry's comments. I'm not so sure Gerry would be able to put in the proper time to get everything just right and perfect. Have you seen this $1000k cabinets? The other companies cabinets are no where near as nice

#16009 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Is anyone else surprised that out of ~120 customers, however many vendors, that only 11 are in the lawsuit ? Or do the lawdogs declare that typical , 10% or so ?

Probably partly due to the bashing that some were giving Zane Smith in this very thread, and the implications that anyone who would "waste" $500.00 on an attorney were fools as they were just throwing good money after bad.

#16010 4 years ago

If that's all that are going to try and get their money back through the courts...I'll have to revise my thinking on outcomes here. This train could definitely keep on rolling. Just silence those 11 and we go back to business as usual for Zidware.

He could even ramp back up.

Very surreal where this is all going.

#16011 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

He could even ramp back up.
Very surreal where this is all going.

Don't think JPOP even understands what ramping up means. With all the resources at his fingertips, John couldn't make a single pinball machine in four years, although claiming he knew how and had the experience. I just don't see John ramping up. Who would invest in such a venture?

#16013 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The relevancy didn't have to do with it being a one person attempt

It is relevant because they are both small companies building a small run of pinball machine. Manufacturing the pinball machine is the most difficult part, so it is great to compare how the two projects transpired. There were almost exactly the same amount of MG's originally sold as Captain Nemo's. I actually can't think of a more relevant comparison from any company.

#16014 4 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

John was a one-man show trying to develop, build and sell a game. Antonio is a one-man show who developed, built and sold a game. Sounds relevant to me.

Guess one could have compared Zidware with Quetzal had Zidware only planned to make 19 MG. Similar small run size, doable by one in a garage with no factory and little help. They also shared something: MG and Nemo are the most beautiful pins I know!

The first major difference was the price... polar opposites: guess that was the "famous" vs "unknown", "US-based" vs "somewhere in Spain" effect... 200% difference.

The second major difference is that Antonio had a playable prototype in 2012. He brought it to a large pin tournament.

The third major different difference is that one planned to make a living out of it, while the other kept his job and hoped to break even.

In any case, as soon as a run of 100+ RAZA was announced, it made the "home-brew" model unstainable. No more doable in one's garage, one needs external help, if not a factory.

#16015 4 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

It is even more relevant because the board he designed to run Captain Nemo is the SAME BOARD that John is currently using in Magic Girl & RAZA.

It is not exactly the same board. Antonio redesigned it for MG and RAZA according to Jpop's specifications.

#16016 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

It is not exactly the same board. Antonio redesigned it for MG and RAZA according to Jpop's specifications.

Good to know. John told me it was the same board.

#16017 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

36 minutes and 20 seconds in:
» YouTube video

46min 11sec

Truer words have never been spoken.

#16018 4 years ago

On a completely different note: The Zombie Yeti AIW prints were slated to ship in June. Has anyone gotten theirs yet?

Just wondering.

Thanks!
Chris

#16019 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

On a completely different note: The Zombie Yeti AIW prints were slated to ship in June. Has anyone gotten theirs yet?
Just wondering.
Thanks!
Chris

The prints got delayed a bit because he wasn't happy with the original prints. He had them screened, and I believe he just said the screened versions are going into the mailing tubes this week (along with the bonus lower quality prints, for people who ordered early).

Preorder artwork is alive and well on pinside!!!

#16020 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The prints got delayed a bit because he wasn't happy with the original prints. He had them screened, and I believe he just said the screened versions are going into the mailing tubes this week (along with the bonus lower quality prints, for people who ordered early).
Preorder artwork is alive and well on pinside!!!

Thanks! I saw that on the site he mentioned he was not happy with the first run. Can't wait to get them

Chris

#16021 4 years ago

Paypal invoices went to paid for the AIW art.. so I assume they are nearly ready to trickle out... but yes, the irony of sliding dates is kind of funny. But for $43.. I'll risk it

#16022 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Yup. He could potentially just get a second mortgage and pay off all the plaintiffs and be done with it. That would allow him to keep Zidware going.

Actually yeah, if he sells 10 or so more AIW spots he could easily pay that off and keep going.

#16023 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Actually yeah, if he sells 10 or so more AIW spots he could easily pay that off and keep going.

Where do I send my money?!

#16024 4 years ago

going to where though? the analysis of the hole that needs to be dug out has been clear there is no way out of this, short of the "millionaire" showing up, cutting a big check and paying for all our machines.

John likes to be the martyr, my prediction is this action kills everything and he clings to the argument that these bad people ruined it for everyone.

#16025 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

John couldn't make a single pinball machine in four years, although claiming he knew how and had the experience.

yeah,go figure....he was emailing Ben Heck,telling him he wanted to teach them how it's really done?! REALLY JOHN? DUDE....REALLY??
BEN BUILDS A F@CKING PINBALL IN HIS LUNCHBREAK JOHN!

#16026 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

yeah,go figure....he was emailing Ben Heck,telling him he wanted to teach them how it's really done?! REALLY JOHN? DUDE....REALLY??BEN BUILDS A F@CKING PINBALL IN HIS LUNCHBREAK JOHN!

Haha, yeah John doesn't build pinballs, his only talent is asking other people to build pinballs for him.

#16027 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

If that's all that are going to try and get their money back through the courts...I'll have to revise my thinking on outcomes here. This train could definitely keep on rolling. Just silence those 11 and we go back to business as usual for Zidware. He could even ramp back up. Very surreal where this is all going.

I'm not sure why Zidware/JPop would try to pay off the plaintiffs in this particular lawsuit. Even if he has $90k to settle with them, once others see there's money to be had more suits will follow and it seems evident that he can't afford to pay everyone what they're owed. Unless Zidware/JPop shocks everyone and comes up with $1 million + for full refunds and payment all around, their obvious move is to file for bankruptcy before throwing whatever resources remain into this litigation.

Of course JPop hasn't exactly been an exemplar of rational thought and behavior, so who knows?

Quoted from RobT:

Probably partly due to the bashing that some were giving Zane Smith in this very thread, and the implications that anyone who would "waste" $500.00 on an attorney were fools as they were just throwing good money after bad.

I don't think I was "bashing" Zane Smith so maybe this isn't aimed at me. I did recommend that people be realistic about the likely outcomes of suing now. On the plus side, for $500 (essentially nothing in the world of legal expenses) you get the satisfaction of taking action against Zidware/Jpop, and an outside chance of settlement or a judgment that actually gets paid. But the suit seems pretty likely to trigger a bankruptcy filing, and if that happens the plaintiffs will be in the same position as other customers that waited to file proofs of claim. Of course if no one sued then we'd never know for certain if Zidware is bankrupt, so the suit is good for the group of buyers/contractors as a whole.

#16028 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

and if that happens the plaintiffs will be in the same position as other customers that waited to file proofs of claim

Actually as far as I understand (I could be wrong) but claimants that force an involuntary bankruptcy are held in higher priority. Someone who knows for sure should chime in here though.

And to clarify, I mean the claimants that are part of a suit forcing involuntary bankruptcy, not claimants that come after bankruptcy is filed.

#16029 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Actually as far as I understand (I could be wrong) but claimants that force an involuntary bankruptcy are held in higher priority. Someone who knows for sure should chime in here though. And to clarify, I mean the claimants that are part of a suit forcing involuntary bankruptcy, not claimants that come after bankruptcy is filed.

I don't think that's right, see the discussion in this post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tq&tu=KeithinMI#post-2491187

Also, no new "claimants" could come after bankruptcy is filed -- civil litigation against the debtors in an attempt to recovery money owed is generally barred until the bankruptcy resolves, and pending cases are generally "stayed" (paused) and then resolved under the bankruptcy claim process.

#16030 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I don't think I was "bashing" Zane Smith so maybe this isn't aimed at me. I did recommend that people be realistic about the likely outcomes of suing

No, you weren't, and really, it was one person that was on a irrational tirade trashing Zane Smith (personally ANd professionally) as if HE was somehow responsible for all that was wrong with the world....

#16031 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

No, you weren't, and really, it was one person that was on a irrational tirade trashing Zane Smith (personally ANd professionally) as if HE was somehow responsible for all that was wrong with the world....

Ah, I must have missed that in the flood of posts in this thread!

#16032 4 years ago

Rational or not, it's what he said he would do. Keep zidware going, bankruptcy not an option.

We can assume anything, but the fact is - there are only 11 claimants. No one else has made any claims whatsoever so this suit marches on with just the 11. At this point the most likely outcome is he takes care of the lawsuit as is and keeps going. You can assume more will file but they have not up to now. I don't see anything changing that. Everyone knows about the lawsuit. 11 chose to make claims. I think that's it.

#16033 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Everyone knows about the lawsuit. 11 chose to make claims. I think that's it.

Actually, 12 chose to litigate, but the initial plaintiff (Bruce Zamost, aka "ZNET") dropped out. I suspect he either got a refund or settled out of court, but I don't know that for certain.

#16034 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Pinside is a no-win place. I got attacked for not saying enough, for not taking pictures and sharing, for not.....

I think you got attacked because you jumped on board a sinking ship and told everybody else to sit still while you helped the captain pack his luggage...

You can't blame Pinside for this. You stepped in a steaming pile of dog doo and paraded around telling everybody else they were wrong for not being pleased with the scent..

It may have been a nice thing you did, but you fail to realize you were hoodwinked by John just like everybody else, to do a bunch of last-minute damage-control because of his irresponsibility. And apparently you're so enamored with the guy you still won't hold him accountable. Don't blame everybody else here because we're not as smitten with the con man as you.

#16035 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Where do I send my money?!

You can send it to me. I'll build you just as many AIWs as John ever will.

#16036 4 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

You can send it to me. I'll build you just as many AIWs as John ever will.

Wow, this thread is finally losing steam.

#16037 4 years ago

So today I reveived my money back from international credit card services,pleasant surprise.
I reported this situation 3 weeks ago..
I had no idea that i was insured for situations like this,I also made a $250 payment via chase bank directly because i reached the limit of my paypal account...so that is lost obviously..
But I got $5645 back.
I may be telling you guys the obvious,but did you guys write ICS or whoever your credit card company is?
There were payments way past the 180 days insurance but got it all back in my account.
Paypal said I made a stupid decision to send John money and said "bad luck dude"when i contacted them..
But ICS helped me out right away and maybe some of you guys can also try?
I think i got all the $$$ back because John is not bankrupt yet?
Please try guys! it worked in my case and I can finally let go now...finally..!

#16038 4 years ago

But I got $5645 back

I was frustrated to see this thread that can't die got an update today, but pleased to see you've received a refund & so I congratulate you and say thank you for sharing your method with others who may be able to use it to their advantage.

#16039 4 years ago

But I got $5645 back.

Thanks awesome news and glad to hear you got the majority of your money back. One less person deeply hurt by this mess!

#16040 4 years ago

Unfortunately he wasn't taking Paypal so conned a lot of us sent him a check instead. And here I was thinking I was helping save him the fees...

But that's awesome news, thanks for sharing.

#16041 4 years ago

Yep JPOP told me check only, no pay pal or CC... Looking back now all i can think is what the hell was i thinking!?

#16042 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Yep JPOP told me check only, no pay pal or CC... Looking back now all i can think is what the hell was i thinking!?

Don't feel bad, I know people that handed him wads of cash money, thousands of dollars.

#16043 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Don't feel bad, I know people that handed him wads of cash money, thousands of dollars.

#16044 4 years ago

My check cleared today. I'm the 12th man (pun definitely intended) to join the lawsuit.

I would ordinarily never do this. If he tried to build the game and failed then I would just walk away, but I feel zero sympathy for John. Frolic, Jim S., Sean and many others asked him relentlessly in every post to get it together and present a timeline and hire a PM, make progress etc.

He fought us every step of the way for 4 years to get himself into this position. Zero sympathy.

#16045 4 years ago

Popapuke = Criminal

#16046 4 years ago

So today I reveived my money back from international credit card services,pleasant surprise.
I reported this situation 3 weeks ago..
I had no idea that i was insured for situations like this,I also made a $250 payment via chase bank directly because i reached the limit of my paypal account...so that is lost obviously..
But I got $5645 back.
I may be telling you guys the obvious,but did you guys write ICS or whoever your credit card company is?
There were payments way past the 180 days insurance but got it all back in my account.
Paypal said I made a stupid decision to send John money and said "bad luck dude"when i contacted them..
But ICS helped me out right away and maybe some of you guys can also try?
I think i got all the $$$ back because John is not bankrupt yet?
Please try guys! it worked in my case and I can finally let go now...finally..!

Excellent news- I'm happy for you

I paid via PP and via international bank transfers, and was unable to get money back via that route (PP > 180 days...). Many credit cards have a limit of 6 months, but I think Amex is the best c/c for refunding?

#16047 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I insisted on PP, but even that has a limit of 180 days...

#16048 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

My check cleared today. I'm the 12th man (pun definitely intended) to join the lawsuit.

I would ordinarily never do this. If he tried to build the game and failed then I would just walk away, but I feel zero sympathy for John. Frolic, Jim S., Sean and many others asked him relentlessly in every post to get it together and present a timeline and hire a PM, make progress etc.

He fought us every step of the way for 4 years to get himself into this position. Zero sympathy.

I agree- it's the appalling way he conducted himself that prompted me to sue. It's not just a failed business scenario, which frankly I have no problem with (albeit not delighted by), as it frequently happens. I've had a number of failed businesses, despite not milking them for salary and expenses i.e. they were run on a shoestring. But I kept the dayjob and it didn't matter to me financially (oh, and I paid all my debts on them, and never got sued). Eventually a business succeeded, woohoo. This happens too, if you persist and work hard, and have a reasonable idea underlying the business. You also learn from the failures, more than from the successes actually a la Dyson.

But you can't treat a startup like a corporate cash cow. Even successful startups would fail if Jpopped like this. He was clearly and obviously taking the pi**, and taking us for fools. In his mind the world owed him a living, meaning us. I'm happy to support pinball startups and have a number of pre-orders running (though won't pre-order again now thanks to Jpop), and they might fail. But the Jpop scenario was waaaay more than just a company failing...

I'm hoping he is arrogant enough not to go for bankruptcy initially, so the $94k gets refunded. But eventually he will go under of course, and good thing too. Actions have consequences, as he will learn, like the uncomprehending child he apparently is. All via legal, due process.

#16049 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Frolic, Jim S., Sean and many others asked him relentlessly in every post to get it together and present a timeline

Knowing what we know now, him avoiding the timeline requests (because he was "too busy" of course), now shows me how much he knew this was never going to happen.

#16050 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Even successful startups would fail if Jpopped like this.

Henceforth, Every ball I plunge that fails to hit a single target and drains without accomplishing any objectives shall be considered "Jpopped".
His name shall be synonymous with failure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 321 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside