(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 319 of 486.
#15901 4 years ago

I'm curious how much the Magic Girl semi-working prototype would sell for if jpop has a bankruptcy auction?

#15902 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

"Sorry I tried to set up a large pre-order situation with a known ponzi schemer" might satisfy some people but I pretty much just raise an eyebrow about that and say "Say whaaaat?" I don't take kindly to that sort of thing.

But what else are you owed at this point?

He did not take your money. He is not asking for more. He acknowledged the concern, apologized for it, and claimed the screw-up as his. He abandoned the project and returned the machine which means no further elaboration is required or owed, since it and its personnel ultimately affect nobody. If his past screw-up still bothers you, you're certainly able to weigh that concern if he announces another project in the future. But for now, honestly, what else is there to do?

I realize some people are rightfully upset but man, it seems there's no pleasing or reasoning with others.

#15903 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

If his past screw-up still bothers you, you're certainly able to weigh that concern if he announces another project in the future. But for now, honestly, what else is there to do?I realize some people are rightfully upset but man, it seems there's no pleasing or reasoning with others.

The difference being you accept it as a "screw up." I consider it catching somebody in the middle of a robbery.

#15904 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

The difference being you accept it as a "screw up." I consider it catching somebody in the middle of a robbery.

Only she didn't rob us, or Bill that we know of. Seems more like a witch hunt to me.

Bill said he wouldn't ask for any money until he was sure he could make the game and it was ready to ship. In that case I don't care who was loading the complete games on the truck. It could be Sabrina, or Hitler himself and I still wouldn't care. Actually I'm sure Hitler would help, he seemed very upset about not getting his game from jpop a few pages ago.

#15905 4 years ago

With what little I am entitled to know (I did not buy in or lose anything, etc), I've no reason to accept anything other than his word.

Now I'm as cynical as they come, as anyone who knows me will readily attest. You're right in that there's a *possibility* it could have been set up for nefarious ends... If your assertion that a would-be-robber was simply scared off before more damage could be done is correct... then it's unfortunate such cynicism was not more common in 2011.

So let it stand as a torture test for any would-be-jpopper who comes along in the future... full disclosure is required.

But there's also a possibility it was something stupid and unfortunate as claimed. And at this point, nobody has the right to demand the full disclosure one way or the other.... let alone to drag someone else's name through the mud on that conjecture. That kind of behavior just makes people on both sides look bad. So I say let it (Bill / Pintasia tinfoiling) rest.

#15906 4 years ago

The game is basically not in a state to *finish*. There's so much concept-only stuff going on that a bunch of time and money would still need to be spent on endless development.

Pintasia eventually wanted to turn a profit (can't blame them for that). There was no profit in the future of this project/product.

Further, even if anyone had dumb money to finish the game truly for the love of pinball they would still never be able deliver the vision of Jpop simply because that vision has and forever will be changing. Simply put, there is no finish line.

End result; pinball's own Winchester house -https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Mystery_House

#15907 4 years ago

If his past screw-up still bothers you, you're certainly able to weigh that concern if he announces another project in the future. But for now, honestly, what else is there to do? I realize some people are rightfully upset but man, it seems there's no pleasing or reasoning with others.

Quoted from YKpinballer:

So what do you want to happen here, YK? You've now expressly accused Bill of attempted robbery. Do you have any evidence that he had prior knowledge of Ms. Wei's checkered past, let alone the intent to use her alleged skills for unlawful purposes?

#15908 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

If that is your viewpoint (and I understand how someone could reasonably come to that conclusion, though I disagree with it) you will not be dissuaded by anything you read here.

I get irritated when people "attempt" to con me, it happens. I don't think Bill was, in any way, attempting to con anyone - it seems to me he was trying to help. I do, however, respect your perspective on the matter - we can agree to disagree.

#15909 4 years ago

I have nothing negative to say about Bill. He did an amazing, difficult, positive thing re MG. Huge respect from me.

#15910 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Argument clinic:
» YouTube video

Now, a Monty Python pin, I would buy (no you wouldn't).

#15911 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I have nothing negative to say about Bill. He did an amazing, difficult, positive thing re MG. Huge respect from me.

I equate what bill did to a detective finding a dead body of a missing person, there is no guessing anymore. He gave closure to this project by not only figuring out how complete it is, but how much money would need to finish it (and how much to produce it), and spilled the beans on the books. Doing it early (IE before the decision was due) also means every single buyer is free to sue John.

#15912 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I don't care who was loading the complete games on the truck. It could be Sabrina, or Hitler himself and I still wouldn't care..

Obviously some of that was tongue-in-cheek (I hope). But I think it brings up an important point. i think the experience with Kevin and Jpop should teach the lesson that you *DO* need to know more about the people you're getting into bed with. And, despite what some may think, integrity matters. Maybe it doesnt to people in the SALES phase, but it sure as ell should in the manufacturing and service phase....

btw- folks need to stop over-reacting and realize criticism of Bill's selection of his "dream team" is not the same as criticizing Bill's own ethics and/or intentions. One is a question of his business acumen and judgement, the other is a question of his ethics.

#15913 4 years ago

So let it stand as a torture test for any would-be-jpopper who comes along in the future... full disclosure is required.

If that is the outcome of all this I would be happy with that. Unfortunately I doubt people will change.

#15914 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

If that is the outcome of all this I would be happy with that. Unfortunately I doubt people will change.

So they'll lose their money. Or wait years for something. Or hey, get their product. That's the nature of taking risks.

Either way they're adults and can do whatever the hell they want with their money, without my permission, or yours.

It's been my position for years that sending a dime to Jpop was asinine. But I said my piece and moved on, there's no point in trying to beat it into someone. We're all big boys here.

I've read every post in this whole thread from the start, nearly 16,000 of them. Only now has it gotten so stupid that I can't follow along anymore. It's just become people telling each other what to think back and forth, nothing but going in circles, and pointing fingers at each other.

Good luck with the legal stuff everyone, I hope you at least get some kind of emotional satisfaction out of it, if not financial.

#15915 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what needs to be explained?
They are completely different places and things are very different just based on that alone. Most notably a town of 50k where everyone knows everyone (I grew up in a very similar sized town and have a clear understanding of how it all works) is very different to the PO team one would be dealing with on this Jpop matter. In Jpops case home jurisdiction likes provides very little help to him as I am guessing the local PO do not even know his name prior to this incident.

Agreed on the two locations being quite different but you and some others seem to have an incorrect assumption of Midland. It is not a typical smaller city, but rather upscale due to the presence of Dow Chemical, an international company. "Everyone knows everyone" doesn't apply here. There are too many engineers, scientists, business professionals etc. coming and going from around the U.S. and world (every several years) to make it the "Mayberry" that you seem to assume.

I just don't see living in Midland (recently) as being a benefit to this individual.

Sorry to pollute the Jpop thread but I'd say the wheels fell off over a few hundred pages ago.

#15916 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I think you're wrong and need to...

#15917 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Sabrina Wei:
1998 - International Heritage Inc (Class action suits - Ponzi scheme faced action by SEC)
http://google.brand.edgar-online.com/EFX_dll/EDGARpro.dll?FetchFilingHtmlSection1?SectionID=841777-14013-30963&SessionID=JjSEF6MVEdJgOT7
2002 - Worked with Al Petty of Telecom 2000. $3.5M in cheques go missing, Sabrina and Al move to Canada.
https://casetext.com/case/in-re-certain-assets-of-petty
2015 Worked for DFRF Enterprises, Canada issues investment fraud warning, (RICO case filed in Massachussetts)
http://behindmlm.com/companies/canada-issues-dfrf-enterprises-investment-fraud-warning/
Sabrina Wei, 2015: Hired by Pintasia to manage the money. These are facts. Not opinions. Don't play innocent, trying to be cute about your part in this.

He admitted his fault in this regard. Let it go.

#15918 4 years ago

Let this be a lesson to everyone. If you try to help other people you're just going to get bitched at no matter what happens. Bill could have built 1,000 games and gave them away for free and someone would whine about color scheme.

#15919 4 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

Let this be a lesson to everyone. If you try to help other people you're just going to get bitched at no matter what happens. Bill could have built 1,000 games and gave them away for free and someone would whine about color scheme.

Sad, but true.

No good deed goes unpunished.

#15920 4 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

Amen, same shit, different day here.

Just stopping by to see nothing has changed

Good thing to contain all the dumb ass in a single thread. Runs rampant

#15921 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Amen, same shit, different day here.
Just stopping by to see nothing has changed

Hi Ice,
It has been 7 days since your last post here, as host of this thread we need you in here at least 3 times per week

#15922 4 years ago

Trent feels relevant at the current stage of this saga.

#15923 4 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Trent feels relevant at the current stage of this saga.
» YouTube video

note: Trent is relevant every day

#15924 4 years ago

Sooo...nobody knows where the prototype ended up? Back with JP?

#15925 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Sooo...nobody knows where the prototype ended up? Back with JP?

I heard it will be back in Jpops possession on Monday.

#15926 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

note: Trent is relevant every day

No truer words have ever been typed.

#15927 4 years ago

I give credit to Bill for stepping up and trying to fix a disaster. And I give him even more credit for stepping away from too big of a disaster.

Only a Billionaire can save Magic Girl now...

three_comma_club.jpg

#15928 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

More plaintiffs are being added. As far as I know, we don't know who John Popadiuk counsel is yet.

If I were John (the arts & crafts guru), I'd want someone like Ken Allen or Wally Alvarez representing me. Too bad they both only do personal injury cases. They peddle their services like dog food and have their faces plastered on dozens of billboards in the Chicago area especially in Northwest Indiana on the Tri-State Tollway, I-94, I-80 and I-90.

#15929 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Midland is part of the tri-cities, which has a population of over 400K, so not exactly small town america. I lived their briefly, and never met Kevin or jhagen while I was there, so, don't everyone knows everyone. Regardless, I don't believe the fact that the authorities there did not press charges against Kevin, at this time, has anything to do with the size of Midland.

Maybe 125,000 tops, certainly not 400k. We are talking MBS; Midland, Bay City and Saginaw. Flint is not part of the Tri-Cities of Michigan.

#15930 4 years ago

If I were John, ......I would refund customers and pay the vendors.

#15931 4 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

Yep, especially on Pinside.

#15932 4 years ago

He acknowledged the concern, apologized for it, and claimed the screw-up as his.

where was this ? i must have missed the apology

#15933 4 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

where was this ? i must have missed the apology

It was in his half assed letter.

We will see if he ever comes clean

#15934 4 years ago

Jpop-home.png

It's another beautiful day in the neighborhood...

Quoted from jpop:

Cool.....Here is my phone (224) 532-0639. I appreciate any calls to help me in my work and pinball overall.

#15935 4 years ago

I have seen this enormous thread and looked at it a few times but can't read the whole thing.

So can someone do a short executive summary / cliff notes version of the gist of what is going on here?

#15936 4 years ago

Some people like this explanation, but I didn't hit all the points, maybe we need a google doc or Wiki page so people can update as we go along.

Quoted from rai:

3-4 years ago, John sold a game called MG to be built sometime circa 2013. Said game was limited to 13 copies making it uber rare, later he upped the number to 26 copies. He charged $16k for this limited edition game.
A short time later he sold another games called BHZA in slightly higher numbers 99 later increased to 124, at a price of $10k. Later the theme and title of the game was changed to RAZA, this was also supposed to be completed around 2013.
Later John added another game AIW to be completed, accepted deposits and payments on that too.
All during this time, John kept everything as hidden as possible, said he was working super hard and the pins were going go be great.
Also during this time, John made a Kiss pin which he had no license for, did not collect any deposits for, so he used all the other money collected to fund this game.
John from time to time would show a few bits and pieces of the game, but never anything as finished as a white wood or even a basic alpha prototype.
Many customers began to get worried or frustrated when 2013 came and went and no games were delivered, ditto 2014. To dissuade people from seeking legal means of getting refunds from John for breach of contract, failure to deliver. John had people post that they'd been to his workshop and the games were comming along well and were worth waiting for.
When this began to wear thin, John promised that at the 2014 Expo in October he would do a big reveal. Then at that expo John brought two totally empty cabinets. People freaked out.
So John promised he'd have real prototype reveals in Dec 2014 and January 2015 for MG and RAZA respectively. Predictably John showed nothing whatsoever.
People like myself said John was bluffing and he had nothing to show, while people like PDXmonkey said there were 95% complete prototypes and he'd played them and all was well, just taking longer than expected.
More time goes by, presumably dozens of people demand refund and/or start legal proceedings against John, John says he's working 14 hrs a day 7 days a week and is tired or perplexed that he's also getting hundreds of emails or texts or phone calls a day regarding the lack of progress. But things are still good.
Then maybe 3-4 weeks ago, John posts a letter saying he's completely broke, no one will get a refund and he's allowing an outside entity (shell) assume production of MG and that they can only proceed if you all (owners) agree not to sue anyone and any owners of RAZA and AIW should forget that, but can now get a MG for $16k (less what you have paid towards RAZA or AIW or MG) and that MG will no longer be a super rare game of 26 units but perhapse 199 and then an unlimited number after that.
People rush out an unfinished alpha prototype of MG to the NW show that has most features disabled, that is broken down most of the time at the show, that no one is able to even make a ramp shot except with glass off by hand, that has a laminate playfield that is totally warped or not stuck down properly.

hindenburg-ghost-huntersjpg-a8c3210f4b51a853_large.jpg

#15937 4 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

I have seen this enormous thread and looked at it a few times but can't read the whole thing.
So can someone do a short executive summary / cliff notes version of the gist of what is going on here?

Don't prepay for pinball.

#15938 4 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Only a Billionaire can save Magic Girl now...

SHiiiiyyyaaaatttt bro'! Donald would fire JPop so fast it would make your shit not stink.....

#15939 4 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Consider a speed-reading class.

#15940 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

If I were John (the arts & crafts guru), I'd want someone like Ken Allen or Wally Alvarez representing me. Too bad they both only do personal injury cases. They peddle their services like dog food and have their faces plastered on dozens of billboards in the Chicago area especially in Northwest Indiana on the Tri-State Tollway, I-94, I-80 and I-90.

Should Kevin call Sam then?

#15941 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Jpop-home.png
It's another beautiful day in the neighborhood...

Someone take that flag off his house. He doesn't deserve to have it

#15942 4 years ago

Nice looking house, but is it finished inside?

Edit: (Helping someone out.)

#15943 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Nice looking house, but is it finished inside?

what do you think....

#15944 4 years ago

I don't know about posting his personal stuff on a public forum, it should be off limits.

#15945 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I don't know about posting this kind of personal stuff on a public forum, it should be off limits.

I tend to agree. But at least it tells us JPop is not living in a luxury mansion. Just a "normal" house.

#15946 4 years ago

It's not his house he rents it.

#15947 4 years ago
Quoted from Northernhuskie2:

It's not his house he rents it.

If that is true, then he may end up on the street and homeless.

#15948 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

If that is true, then he may end up on the street and homeless.

It's not an if, he asked about renting one of my places a few years ago. You have the address, check the cook county tax records, the address is not in their names. Being sued won't make him lose his lease. As long a he pays his rent he's not going to be homeless.

#15949 4 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Should Kevin call Sam then?

Especially if he watches Tigers Baseball on FSN Detroit

#15950 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Especially if he watches Tigers Baseball on FSN Detroit

Nobody has been able to watch that hot garbage for the past few days...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 319 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside