(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 486.
#1501 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Pretty Vague dude.. What the rest of the story?

John didn't pay his invoices. How's that vague?

#1502 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yikes, these games are never getting built. Sorry guys...saw this coming years ago.

#1503 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Well let's see last time i checked there are 2 sides to every story! So Were the original terms of the agreement fulfilled on both sides? What's the rest of the story? Starting to sound like the JJP screened cabinet debacle (JJP thinks he got screwed over and it sounds like the guy making the cabs thinks he got screwed over) so which is it both parties can't be right... Can they?

#1504 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yikes, these games are never getting built. Sorry guys...saw this coming years ago.

i hope you're wrong but the evidence is getting harder to ignore.

#1505 5 years ago

Well let's see last time i checked there are 2 sides to every story! So Were the original terms of the agreement fulfilled on both sides? What's the rest of the story? Starting to sound like the JJP screened cabinet debacle (JJP think he got screwed over and it sounds like the guy making the cabs thinks he got screwed over) so which is it both parties can't be right... Can they?

I know of one other person that was working on Johns projects that is no longer doing so due to lack of payment. And he's owed a rather sizeable amount. I don't think there's any conspiracy here with GLM, he just stopped sending John parts due to non-payment.

#1506 5 years ago

"I stop supplying customers who don't pay their invoices". Doesn't mean that he didn't subsequently pay them. Or is in the process of doing so.

I call total BS until some proof is given. Make an allegation like that, provide details and prove it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Sad Sack junior

If it all goes to shit, you get credit for calling it first Greg, congrats!

#1507 5 years ago

There's a reason he wants to sell more MGs. At least he has a potential solution, that might piss off 20 people, but would keep his business going.

#1508 5 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

As a general rule of owning and operating a business, I stop supplying customers who don't pay their invoices.I believe this is a good common business sense and one that other companies/suppliers that may be (or ARE) in similar circumstances should be practicing as well

Quoted from iceman44:

To imply that John is broke, a deadbeat that can't and won't pay his bills is whole different thing obviously. If that is what he meant by that vague comment then don't say it without giving details. Where is the proof that its an epidemic with John or even true?

GL Modular has been around since 2007 so it's not just some random dude trying to stir things up. He's saying point blank John didn't pay his bills.

a) if it wasn't true it would be a dumb business (and possibly legal) move to claim that.
b) if John didn't pay because GL Modular failed to deliver their side, they wouldn't want to draw attention to that on pinside.

So in short: bad sign for people with money in JPOP games.

I guess you can hope that John just doesn't keep up with his accounts payable because he's scatter brained? The pinball business is too small to burn bridges though. Hoping GLM gets their money.

#1509 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There's a reason he wants to sell more MGs. At least he has a potential solution, that might piss off 20 people, but would keep his business going.

It's because you can't build 13 or 17 pinball machines at basically any price that comes near 17k, unless its for charity, labor and materials for such a small run is nonsense that he subsequently acknowledged.

Yes, he can't build 17 MG's at 17k and break even. Did he miscalculate the effort, sure, we already know he isn't great with numbers.

#1510 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

GL Modular has been around since 2007 so it's not just some random dude trying to stir things up. He's saying point blank John didn't pay his bills.
a) if it wasn't true it would be a dumb business (and possibly legal) move to claim that.
b) if John didn't pay because GL Modular failed to deliver their side, they wouldn't want to draw attention to that on pinside.
So in short: bad sign for people with money in JPOP games.
I guess you can hope that John just doesn't keep up with his accounts payable because he's scatter brained? The pinball business is too small to burn bridges though. Hoping GLM gets their money.

Prove it, are you his accountant? He's not saying "point blank", John hasn't paid his invoices and is unwilling to do so. If so, let's hear HIM clarify that, as a point of FACT, and then we'll get John's side of the story.

John's been in the pinball industry over 30 yrs, what's your point?

#1511 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Prove it, are you his accountant?

30 years! imagine that, well sounds like jpop is rock solid then ice. imagine running your own pinball business for 30 years!

#1512 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Prove it, are you his accountant?

Prove what? That John didn't pay his bills? A company with a 7 year history claimed it, so I used it as a basis for my opinion. You just discard everything everybody says because they don't post forensic evidence on pinside?

Your posts are basically "I don't know anything, nobody knows anything but I'm posting about it anyways!" Some people read what people have to say and form an opinion based on it, considering the validity of the source.

#1513 5 years ago
Quoted from vex:

30 years! imagine that, well sounds like jpop is rock solid then ice. imagine running your own pinball business for 30 years!

I know, I'm thinking that's what John has in mind for the next 30. He's got a lot of work to do.

For all you hammer heads that want to come out of the wood works and pile on John, without the facts or both sides of the story with respect to this issue, I suggest you take a step back.

I've got an open mind, let's see the proof, I doubt anything will be forthcoming.

#1514 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

let's see the proof, I doubt anything will be forthcoming

Mostly because people don't post their accounting data on public forums...

#1515 5 years ago

If you go to the comment before the bill paying comment, I think defaulting to "not paid at all" is a reasonable leap though iceman44. It was when he was pressed about this comment below that he brought up not getting paid. GLM at least makes good stuff, and has a good reputation for actually delivering things.

Quoted from GLModular:

If Zidware was a public company, I'd be shorting the stock right now.

Anyways, even in positive light... if is only that JPOP is a flake about paying his bills, he probably shouldn't be running a company handling tens of thousands of dollars in pre-payments by himself; but I don't think anyone is disagreeing with him needing some business help at this point.

#1516 5 years ago

gregie downer

#1517 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

if is only that JPOP is a flake about paying his bills, he probably shouldn't be running a company handling tens of thousands of dollars in pre-payments by himself; but I don't think anyone is disagreeing with him needing some business help at this point.

This is where I think most people are in agreement, including myself.

As for the comments made by GL I'd like to know the FACTS of what he meant so we aren't speculating about it. And then I will call John myself and get his side of the story.

Let's get to the bottom of it.

#1518 5 years ago

I just realized that with the Predator drama out of the way JPOP is probably going to take all the heat for a while. Lets be friends instead of fighting all the time. Giving John a call is the level headed thing to do.

#1519 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I just realized that with the Predator drama out of the way JPOP is probably going to take all the heat for a while. Lets be friends instead of fighting all the time. Giving John a call is the level headed thing to do.

That's what I plan to do as soon as I get some clarification from GL.

I invite GL to send me a pm with details if he doesn't want to post it here yet and I'll then call John.

Level head is good

#1520 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I just realized that with the Predator drama out of the way .

It is? I must of missed the resolution!

#1521 5 years ago
#1522 5 years ago

It is? I must of missed the resolution

Yeah that's all in the SkitB threads

#1523 5 years ago

It is? I must of missed the resolution!

Yes. After two pages of debate, it was finally settled that bi-weekly meant once every two weeks.

#1524 5 years ago

Yes. After two pages of debate, it was finally settled that bi-weekly meant once every two weeks.

It's like an entmoot in there

#1525 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I call total BS until some proof is given. Make an allegation like that, provide details and prove it.

You know that you can't prove a negative, right counselor?

#1526 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think you can make a statement like that and leave it at that. It's pretty clear, GLM says that he did work for John and John didn't pay his invoices. Does GLM really have to specify the precise details of what work he did, what didn't get paid for, etc?

It seems to me that you could go to John with "GLM posted that you're not paying your suppliers. Did you pay him for whatever work he did?" If there's something to it, John will know what he's talking about and can address it.

We've seen posts from guys with pre-orders where his private blog or shop visits are referenced and no details were given because of the NDA. Anyone working with John signed the NDA too. I think there are a lot of people who would really like to spill all kinds of details positive or otherwise but would rather not take a chance. Until the NDA's are lifted/expire everything spoke about publicly is going to be vague.

#1527 5 years ago

..Starting to sound like the JJP screened cabinet debacle (JJP think he got screwed over and it sounds like the guy making the cabs thinks he got screwed over) so which is it both parties can't be right... Can they?

Yes. Both parties can be right in this situation. If the customer doesn't communicate or engineer properly oftentimes this results in a situation where both the vendor and the customer are right (or wrong, depending on perspective).

Please keep in mind that designers usually make poor engineers. Engineers usually make poor business managers and good business managers usually make poor anything else.

#1528 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

I VISITED THE JPOP LAB LAST WEEK

This was a great post. VERY nice. But there weren't any details. No one said, "I call BS until you give the exact details of what you saw."

#1529 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He has? He was a designer at B/W in the 90s...not even 10 years.

Quoted from iceman44:

If it all goes to shit, you get credit for calling it first Greg, congrats!

I don't want to be congratulated...I want Jpop to make your games! However unless he bites the bullet and makes some major changes to his manufacturing plan, I fail to see how that's ever going to happen...just being realistic. The only way I think these will ever get made is if he "sells the designs" or subcontracts the build to someone like Stern, JJP, or even Spooky....someone who can actually "get it done". ...and then gives the option to mass produce & sell more than originally allotted to recoup the costs of these projects going overbudget and overdue. Yes, this would hurt his pride and piss off anyone who invested in the project....but - it might be the only way you see games built. Even with the financial situation aside - If Spooky's building 2 games a week with their small operation - imagine how long it'll take Jpop to build his games with his level of perfectionism. 2 games a month? Who knows...this shit's just gonna take forever if he can even afford to get the parts to build them. It'll hurt his pride, but he's gonna have to "sell out". If that happens - maybe the original buyers can still get something special and unique that makes their games more valuable. An extra feature, unique art, I dunno...something.

Anyway....good luck, guys.

#1530 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

He has? He was a designer at B/W in the 90s...not even 10 years

Ice Castles (Midway/WMS), Popadiuk, 1989.... 25, soon to be 26 years just there. I don't think he just dropped out of pinball. Not with Williams the entire time but has had hands in pinball.

#1531 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Ice Castles (Midway/WMS), Popadiuk, 1989.... 25, soon to be 26 years just there. I don't think he just dropped out of pinball. Not with Williams the entire time but has had hands in pinball.

I told John I would love to work with him to release the unreleased Ice Castle!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1532 5 years ago

Iceman I really applaud your loyalty to JP and I really hope that you get all of your games.

There are some real discouraging facts that you need to be aware of:

1.To date, this project has been a complete and utter failure. Timelines have been missed, communication to owners has been terrible, show presentations have been a failure.

2. I personally tried to get in touch no less than 5 times to get some basic questions answered to buy other peoples spots. Jon never called back. Never emailed back. He did nothing to help out his customers that wanted out.

3. It is hard to start a business and really does Jon have any real business sense? Truthfully, I don't think so. He's a wonderful artist, but his business skills are less than acceptable.

4. Now vendors are coming in and saying they had to stop supplying parts because Jon couldn't pay the bills. C'mon. Basic stuff but not surprising.

Please don't throw any more money at this. I hope I'm wrong but MAYBE MG gets made - I don't see a chance for any of the RAZA guys.

I really hope you get your games. I really do.

Hook em

#1533 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

He claims 30+ years, and he's very passionate about it.

Quoted from RobT:

You know that you can't prove a negative, right counselor?

Yes counselor, I would simply like to cross examine the declarant at to the veracity of his statements, the context of which they were made, the basis of the contract/agreement with Zidware and GL, the amount of the damages, etc.

#1534 5 years ago
Quoted from kapper:

Iceman I really applaud your loyalty to JP and I really hope that you get all of your games.
1.To date, this project has been a complete and utter failure. Timelines have been missed, communication to owners has been terrible, show presentations have been a failure.
2. I personally tried to get in touch no less than 5 times to get some basic questions answered to buy other peoples spots. Jon never called back. Never emailed back. He did nothing to help out his customers that wanted out.
3. It is hard to start a business and really does Jon have any real business sense? Truthfully, I don't think so. He's a wonderful artist, but his business skills are less than acceptable.
4. Now vendors are coming in and saying they had to stop supplying parts because Jon couldn't pay the bills. C'mon. Basic stuff but not surprising.
Please don't throw any more money at this. I hope I'm wrong but MAYBE MG gets made - I don't see a chance for any of the RAZA guys.
Hook em

1.) utter failure is nothing...there's multiple MG in existence
behind schedule yes, utter failure hell no that would be like saying JJP was an utter failure two years ago.
2.) I dunno about your case but John calls me back within 24 hours everytime if he doesn't pick up when I call. Perhaps he didn't care for your tone of questions?
3.) Long road with lots of work, salesman probably isn't his biggest priority at the moment.
4.) I agree with you this news is troubling at the surface. I'm curios to know more like what the scope of work GLM is referring to and if it will impact the production games or if Zidware decided to not use them and went with a different part supplier. Time will tell but I hope both parties can reach a positive outcome.

#1535 5 years ago
Quoted from kapper:

Far from a "complete and utter failure". That statement kind of ruins your other good points, missed timelines, poor communication and horrific show presentations, all well documented even by me

Poor communication and business practices. Point and fact stipulated to.

Again, a fact and stipulated to, as he grows he will need to get the help. He just hired a project manager so let's see how that helps.

I call BS on that. Where is GL now?

Hook em

Thanks for the Hook em!

#1536 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

He has.
He actually started at Bally as a QA inspector.
Really cool story of how he got the job too.

#1537 5 years ago

Here are the FACTS

1) Zidware Inc. is a company in "good standing" in the state of Illinois.

2) Based on public records there are no liens or judgments filed against or outstanding on Zidware Inc. or Jpop. Nor has there ever been any litigation I could find regarding John or the company.

So if anybody can find anything else that would point to John and/or Zidware having a problem paying its debts, I'd like to see it. I'm simply not taking the one sided word of a guy that posts on Pinside without providing any details on the issue whatsoever.

For all we know, there is a dispute over $500. Who knows, so for the time being, I'll deal just the FACTS.

#1538 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So if anybody can find anything else that would point to John and/or Zidware having a problem paying its debts, I'd like to see it.

With all the NDAs, you won't get this.

#1539 5 years ago

Wow! I just read through this. It would seem JPop would be wise to chime in here once in a while to clear the air of things and make his customers feel better about things. I truly hope it all works out for you and all and JPop.

#1540 5 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Wow! I just read through this. It would seem JPop would be wise to chime in here once in a while to clear the air of things and make his customers feel better about things. I truly hope it all works out for you and all and JPop.

He's too fragile. Plus, he's got the private blog for the customers.

#1541 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yes counselor, I would simply like to cross examine the declarant at to the veracity of his statements, the context of which they were made, the basis of the contract/agreement with Zidware and GL, the amount of the damages, etc.

Oh no!! Lawyer smack down!!

image.jpg

#1542 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

With all the NDAs, you won't get this.

Hehe, I'm pretty sure vendors don't have an NDA with John.

Quoted from Rarehero:

He's too fragile.

He is pretty fragile but he does wear his flame proof underwear to work now!

#1543 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Oh no!! Lawyer smack down!!

image.jpg 55 KB

Hmmm, RD, we might need to have another case of beer bet right after the "rug reveal"

I need some redemption

#1544 5 years ago

Hey Ice, if Jpop has breached his contract, would the NDA still be applicable?

#1545 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

But I do.

#1546 5 years ago

You wear flame proof underwear?

Quoted from slapshot:

Hey Ice, if Jpop has breached his contract, would the NDA still be applicable?

He has already breached his contract with the "owners" and any attempt to enforce the NDA would be ridiculous and too far fetched.

No damages and wasted $$$ on lawyers, don't think so.

It's called "Promissory Estoppel".

#1547 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

John has NDAs with everyone. I think that is what makes reading this thread difficult. There are many people who would love to weigh in constructively one way or another, but cannot.

I am sure in a couple years when everyone's NDAs have expired there will be a great sharing. But until then there really isn't anything that can be shared that divulges anything that is not already publicly known.

FWIW, I have a lot of respect for John as a designer. I have regular communication with him and have enjoyed his input and advice. John has gone dark on me from time to time when he, I assume, was focused on his work. I have been to his workshop. I have seen a lot of exciting pinball in the works.

The best advice we have received from veteran pinball folks like John is that "to build great pinball you need a great team." This is advice that we at FAST have taken very seriously.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

Post edited by fastpinball: typo

#1548 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

1.) utter failure is nothing...there's multiple MG in existence
behind schedule yes, utter failure hell no that would be like saying JJP was an utter failure two years ago.
2.) I dunno about your case but John calls me back within 24 hours everytime if he doesn't pick up when I call. Perhaps he didn't care for your tone of questions?
3.) Long road with lots of work, salesman probably isn't his biggest priority at the moment.
4.) I agree with you this news is troubling at the surface. I'm curios to know more like what the scope of work GLM is referring to and if it will impact the production games or if Zidware decided to not use them and went with a different part supplier. Time will tell but I hope both parties can reach a positive outcome.

could you please tell me where I could find one? I'd love to play it

My call was - Hi jon, I was interested in buying one of your games.....could you give me a call at your convenience

Again - I hope you get your game

#1549 5 years ago

YKpinballer has a good grasp of the situation.

Epthegeek's comments should be taken very seriously.

#1550 5 years ago

well that's it then! I can officially write off all that hard earned money!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside