(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 305 of 491.
#15201 8 years ago

Spooky has officially announced title 2 (rob zombie), and john will never finish one

#15202 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

He gave himself a salary, how much is unknown. Plus it appears he took other draws out to fund other activities not related to the making of the machines he sold. Embezzlement isn't as difficult to prove as fraud and still carries jail time.

Unfortunately, it's not illegal to give oneself salary from one's own company nor is it illegal to take additional draws for personal things as long as you claim it as personal income. I see no chance of him going to jail for these things. Zero. They may help win a civil suit but there won't be any money to pay the suers so it's really a waste of time.

Quoted from hank527:

And what funds does he have available to get it made?

I don't think that's been figured out.

#15203 8 years ago

Copy and paste from my owners group post just now:

I sent an email to Zane today asking him to call me. I'll let the group know what I find out if Zane returns my call. I figure it would be wise to at the very least hear what he has to say.

If I decide to jump into this it will be without ANY expectations of recovering funds or even recouping my $500 investment in his services. Recovering any money paid to John Popadiuk would be a bonus.

I had to break the news to my spouse that Bill decided not to continue and that we are truly at Game Over. This was a very difficult conversation to have and the effects are ongoing even after 3 days.

It may be petty but I want to be honest with the group that my motives in possibly joining Zane's lawsuit are purely driven by revenge and the desire to make JPop suffer as bad as he has made us suffer. Knowing what I know now and looking back on some awkward conversations I've had with JPop I am coming to realize I think he knew he could not build these games.

I flew to Chicago once to check on the progress of the games. We went to dinner at a Pho place in the parking lot of Shaumburg GameWorks. I wrote him a check at dinner for the balance due of RAZA because a payment was coming up and he was extremely weird about it. Extremely uncomfortable. He was very uncomfortable I could tell. So much so, that I took note of it at the time, but at the time I thought he was just uncomfortable handling money. Thinking back I was just naive. I realize know that he might have known then that he had either no intention of building the games or he knew he had no ability to build and ship the games and he felt guilty about taking my check in person.

That kind of person doesn't sit well with me. I'll let you all know what Zane says...

Also, I have been considering selling off my entire collection and abandoning pinball completely over the last few weeks but I have decided not to do that. In fact, I decided to order from a startup that knows how to design a beautiful game and do the legwork and due diligence necessary to bring that game to market. My first NIB and I couldn't be happier with my purchase, Whizbang's WNBJM!

#15204 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I personally do not think there was any ill intent on his part even today. I've had some discussions with John recently and while he knows he is in trouble, he is still trying to move forward. I think as of today he still intends to release magic girl in some shape or form.

WTF?!

#15205 8 years ago

Perhaps he means "in some shape or form" to be Zizzle style; though truthfully I find it hard to believe JPop could even build out a Zizzle style game...he certainly couldn't manufacture anything that sophisticated.

#15206 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Also, I have been considering selling off my entire collection and abandoning pinball completely over the last few weeks but I have decided not to do that. In fact, I decided to order from a startup that knows how to design a beautiful game and do the legwork and due diligence necessary to bring that game to market. My first NIB and I couldn't be happier with my purchase, Whizbang's WNBJM!

I'm glad you recovered and didn't do it! Buying a refurbed RFM was my recovery.

I hope you get some justice with Zane, as I'm hoping to. As you say, money is only part of it. But who knows? Mr Ploppy may have more Zidware money than he lets on, given he's an abject liar, or may lose his personal assets. But mainly, I want him to man up and face the music, as he's avoided doing so far in a most cowardly fashion. In the 'stress test' of this situation, he has shown what a weasel, coward of a man he is.

#15207 8 years ago

In the last couple of weeks, Bill gave me hope that the world that seemed to be spiraling out of control could be made right again. He was our national anchor and our visionary. His vision for this project was akin to what my grandfather would tell me about the way FDR saved this country with the New Deal.

#15208 8 years ago

double post.

#15209 8 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Not to sound glib, but I can believe it. The presentation and announcement of the game was very professional.

Zidware's Zizzle machines had also been a success, so it wasn't the case that this was an unproven company. Moreover, there was the Pinball Wizard app. But mostly, here was a designer with arguably 3 of the top 10 DMD pinballs to his name, presenting what could potentially have shaped up to be a sequel to TOM. It looked good at the time. I guess industry insiders knew Jpop was likely to fail given his flakey track record, and that was the due diligence I didn't do.

Unfortunately, pre-ordering is a risk, which sometimes fails. That's why I won't be doing it again.

#15210 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Not in the least... totally different. This was not a company with products this was a guy with no products, no nothing! No products just a dream that turned into a nightmare because of his stupidity and stubbornness. A dream that we CHOSE to finance. We put way too much faith in a guy with nothing.

Then again if you had your choice no one would have made a pinball machine after 1997...

#15211 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

What are you talking about Aurich what secrets and bullshit? The game is out west, John was suppose to handle getting it home regardless of an announcement being made. Sounds like he is making arrangements. You guys really need to chill. There is no conspiracy theories here just a few that would like to make it seem like there is. I re posted what I said from the beginning and nothings changed. I hope that makes everyone comfortable.

Bill, this experience, along with over 15,000 posts, should clearly indicate that some people around here just aren't comfortable without a giant stick in their ass.

I applaud your efforts.

#15212 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Then again if you had your choice no one would have made a pinball machine after 1997...

Feel free to explain because I have no idea what you're talking about... doubt you do as well.

#15213 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

He gave himself a salary, how much is unknown. Plus it appears he took other draws out to fund other activities not related to the making of the machines he sold. Embezzlement isn't as difficult to prove as fraud and still carries jail time.

This is my contention, money was paid for a game, not to pay John a salary. john was not hired as an empoyee, he was paid to deliver a game, no salary should have been taken IMO. He should have figured the cost to deliver the pin and if money was left over that would have been his salary.

If his contention was that the money ran out becasue he took too long and therefor his salary ate up all the deposit money that's a fraud because he was solely responsible for the timeframes.

#15215 8 years ago

This site is broken because every time I hit enter it leaves the post as if it still has to be sent, so we're getting hundreds of double posts.

Also when you hit enter it brings you pack to the previous page not the last post like it should.

#15216 8 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

You don't need to request the refund. The contracts have dates of delivery for the machines which have long since passed. That is sufficient for a breach of contract action.

This is exactly what I told John, he wanted me to wait for him to resell my spot before he give me a refund. I told him I wasn't asking to resell my spot, I was demanding a refund, it was his problem what to do with the game not mine, I told him he had his chance to deliver but since he hadn't than my money wa no longer his to use, I told him to keep his game and give me my refund.

#15217 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:Deleted post

But John surely thought he was going too sell the company and his salary draw was warranted

#15218 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

But John surely thought he was going too sell the company and his salary draw was warranted

I believe the tax code has stated limits on the amount of a salary that can be drawn if you are a owner of the company. People push the limits all the time, but in this case with nothing to show for it, might be a different story. And again - how much money was used to make the KISS prototype and the other activities that the buyers funded? There is also the issue of unearned revenue. The two ways that will get the IRS to sink their teeth into you are not claiming revenue and not paying your employees and the tax associated with it, although he might have only had contractors.

#15219 8 years ago

There is money left. I will get some of it through a lawsuit. Others will get money that file lawsuits. IMHO There is a case for embezzlement, fraudulent transfer, and other criminal misdeeds. All of that will be pursued...every detail...until we find it. IMHO , given his track record, there is ZERO chance that there is no criminal activity.

If you really can't see taking people's money for one project and using it for something else as a crime I suggest you brush up on fraudulent transfer and embezzlement. Embezzlement is not hard to prove. IMHO Neither is fraudulent transfer in this case. I mean on the very face of things money used to build MG taken from RAZA and AIW depositors is fraudulent.

Some guys won't ever see the light and that's cool. Clearly, some here don't want anything bad to happen to john Popadiuk . Hate to break it to you fellas - you are wrong. Just watch

Call Zane if you have doubts

#15220 8 years ago

I am John, i give you this,but you paid for that..

IMG_0772.PNGIMG_0772.PNG
#15221 8 years ago

Gah ! He looks like a girl...a homeless girl.

#15222 8 years ago
Quoted from joestro78:

In the last couple of weeks, Bill gave me hope that the world that seemed to be spiraling out of control could be made right again. He was our national anchor and our visionary. His vision for this project was akin to what my grandfather would tell me about the way FDR saved this country with the New Deal.

Not sure if your post was supposed to be sarcastic?

I know many were looking for any shred of hope in this mess, but honestly, that pintasia plan never seemed like it made sense from day 1. From the horrible initial email from jpop, to the request for protection from lawsuit, to the announcement of the "expert team" that included a ponzi expert, to the general lack of detail, etc, etc.

What came after followed an unfortunately standard gameplan:
1. A faithful and overzealous supporter(s) floods the conversation
2. Any critical comments are furiously and shrilly refuted
3. The critics themselves are discredited as "unbelievers"
4. The victims are given hope that "something's better than nothing"
5. Disagreement rises to the level of "hating pinball"
6. Rinse and repeat.

#15223 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Not sure if your post was supposed to be sarcastic?
I know many were looking for any shred of hope in this mess, but honestly, that pintasia plan never seemed like it made sense from day 1. From the horrible initial email from jpop, to the request for protection from lawsuit, to the announcement of the "expert team" that included a ponzi expert, to the general lack of detail, etc, etc.
What came after followed an unfortunately standard gameplan:
1. A faithful and overzealous supporter(s) floods the conversation
2. Any critical comments are furiously and shrilly refuted
3. The critics themselves are discredited as "unbelievers"
4. The victims are given hope that "something's better than nothing"
5. Disagreement rises to the level of "hating pinball"
6. Rinse and repeat.

How can we stop that? As a community I mean, not moderation. Let's talk about how to stop people from robbing us.

It just feels like the community ... helped ... these guys rob our own community. I want that to stop. There are a couple of pinsiders who IMHO are guilty of supporting John's lies as well, right up to a few days ago. Hell - there are some guys in this thread encouraging people NOT to sue. That should be VERY suspicious to everyone here. What is their goal in preventing people from joining a lawsuit? The lawsuit is filed, done deal, can't be stopped, so what are they doing? Encouraging victims to "just move on" or "just take it and enjoy it as a life lesson" is totally insane.

You got robbed. Do something about it!

Assuming that you can just file as a creditor later leaves out so many steps and is so naive that I'll let others discuss that, have to learn sometime I guess, just hate for people to get victimized twice. Once by John Popadiuk and again by armchair internet lawyers giving bad advice right here in this thread, repeatedly.

People like me now don't need any help lol. Eyes wide open staying in this long for sure. I think rai got a refund ~ 6 months ago so I certainly could have gotten one then as well. But the new guys...IMHO as a community we should do a better job.

#15224 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

This site is broken because every time I hit enter it leaves the post as if it still has to be sent, so we're getting hundreds of double posts.
Also when you hit enter it brings you pack to the previous page not the last post like it should.

After posting hit the next page, then scroll down.

#15225 8 years ago

Plus IMO John's books need to be audited. Where did the money go? How much is left? If he didn't keep meticulous records that's a problem for John.

If he took a salary, did he report that and pay taxes? That'll be real interesting, the IRS doesn't mess around.

It's funny to read these John apologists saying don't sue there is no money. But until he gets a financial colonoscopy I don't believe anything his cheerleaders are saying.

#15226 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Perhaps he means "in some shape or form" to be Zizzle style; though truthfully I find it hard to believe JPop could even build out a Zizzle style game...he certainly couldn't manufacture anything that sophisticated.

Damn, I just had a ZIzzle thought. What if JP makes a mini game - similar to Ben Heck's mini-pinball experiment shown over on Element14.com and calls that a completed and delivered MG and RAZA? It would be fraud on so many levels - but weirder thoughts have come from the Zidware lab.

#15227 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Damn, I just had a ZIzzle thought. What if JP makes a mini game - similar to Ben Heck's mini-pinball experiment shown over on Element14.com and calls that a completed and delivered MG and RAZA? It would be fraud on so many levels - but weirder thoughts have come from the Zidware lab.

John stated himself that he has no money. So that seems unlikely.

Andrew

#15228 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

The are no sharks left to jump.

#15229 8 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

There is money left. I will get some of it through a lawsuit. Others will get money that file lawsuits. There is a strong case for embezzlement, fraudulent transfer, and other criminal misdeeds. All of that will be pursued...every detail...until we find it. IMHO , given his track record, there is ZERO chance that there is no criminal activity. Criminal activity is all over these transactions at several stages.
If you really can't see taking people's money for one project and using it for something else as a crime I suggest you brush up on fraudulent transfer and embezzlement. Embezzlement is not hard to prove. Neither is fraudulent transfer in this case. I mean on the very face of things money used to build MG taken from RAZA and AIW depositors is fraudulent.
Call Zane if you have doubts

Rommy - do you know (and this is totally an honest question) what records are needed to show fradulent transfer? It seems there may have been zero booking - it that a plus for the buyers side in the lawsuit? Seems that the contract with deadlines and deposit schedule, and then the timing of the taking of RAZA and AIW monies, before MG was delivered are strong evidence too.

#15230 8 years ago
Quoted from APB_Enterprises:

John stated himself that he has no money.

This is one of the things has has me scratching my head.

John has lied to so many people on so many topics, and yet, many take his statement of "being broke" as somhow being truthful? Even though getting folks to believe this would be incredibly self-serving?

#15231 8 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

It just feels like the community ... helped ... these guys rob our own community.

Jeez, now its the Pinside Communities fault… because of differing opinions… one way to stop people from taking your money… don't GIVE it to them.

#15232 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

This is one of the things has has me scratching my head.
John has lied to so many people on so many topics, and yet, many take his statement of "being broke" as somhow being truthful? Even though getting folks to believe this would be incredibly self-serving?

Someone who shall remain anonymous who has John's ear told me something quite telling. John said "I've never made this much money from pinball in my life!". Just hearing that ...."made this much money" ...made my skin crawl. He thought it was his....not for the project. His.

IMO, he got addicted to the cash & probably still has a lot of it. It's not his to keep. Hopefully audits will happen to bring out the truth as to where the money went. If he has ANY of it, it must be returned.

#15233 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hopefully audits will happen to bring out the truth as to where the money went.

There will probably be a 15,000+ post thread on the Forensic Accountant version of Pinside when that happens.

#15234 8 years ago

Who is paying the forensic accountant?

#15235 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Someone who shall remain anonymous who has John's ear told me something quite telling. John said "I've never made this much money from pinball in my life!". Just hearing that ...."made this much money" ...made my skin crawl. He thought it was his....not for the project. His.
IMO, he got addicted to the cash & probably still has a lot of it. It's not his to keep. Hopefully audits will happen to bring out the truth as to where the money went. If he has ANY of it, it must be returned.

That actually makes a lot of sense As long as he is drawing a salary and not receiving project based compensation he really has no motivation to deliver a game. Financially it makes more sense to him to draw this out as long as possible.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#15236 8 years ago

Obviously, people need to draw a salary to pay for Health Insurance (at least in the USA), Rent, Auto, Food....

Amazon did not make any money for a dozen years, but I'm sure Jeff Beozs drew a salary.

#15237 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

That actually makes a lot of sense As long as he is drawing a salary and not receiving project based compensation he really has no motivation to deliver a game. Financially it makes more sense to him to draw this out as long as possible.

My point exactly, the contract was not for him as a consultant or artist at large, it was a contract to build a game which he didn't do, so IMO he didn't earn a cent of that money.

#15238 8 years ago

According to John he stopped drawing a salary in Nov 14.

Whether that's true or not that's what he said.

#15239 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Obviously, people need to draw a salary to pay for Health Insurance (at least in the USA), Rent, Auto, Food....
Amazon did not make any money for a dozen years, but I'm sure Jeff Beozs drew a salary.

I disagree, Bill Gates and Paul Allen sold their first version of BASIC, they didn't get paid to try, they got paid for making a product. If the BASIC program was not able to work, they would have gotten jack squat.

Look at the contract agreement, it says nothing about paying John's health insurance or car insurance or anything else, it was a contract to buy a game which John would supply, if he doesn't deliver the game, he shouldn't get to keep the money.

Let's say I go to McDonald's and order a meal. If they don't give me the meal, (say their oven isn't working), then they have to give me my money back. I don't care if they have to pay their employees (that's their problem not mine) and the courts (I believe) protect the consumer.

#15240 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Look at the contract agreement, it says nothing about paying John's health insurance or car insurance or anything else, it was a contract to buy a game which John would supply, if he doesn't deliver the game, he shouldn't get to keep the money.

It's the law, you have to carry health insurance.

It's not like Obama is going to say "Hey, you are working full time on building a pinball machine? Sweet! Let me excuse you from our nation's health insurance laws...."

#15241 8 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Some guys won't ever see the light and that's cool. Clearly, some here don't want anything bad to happen to john Popadiuk . Hate to break it to you fellas - you are wrong. Just watch
something bad IS going to happen to john Popadiuk . Call Zane if you have doubts

Quoted from rommy:

You got robbed. Do something about it!

hell ya.jpeghell ya.jpeg

QSS

#15242 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's not like Obama is going to say "Hey, you are working full time on building a pinball machine? Sweet! Let me excuse you from our nation's health insurance laws....

health insurance as a company is only mandatory if you employee more than 12 people. As for John by himself, who's to say he couldn't sign on to his wife's insurance plan?

#15243 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

According to John he stopped drawing a salary in Nov 14.
Whether that's true or not that's what he said.

I can believe that. Sad thing is, he stiffed his vendors like Jim well before that. So he took money for himself but didn't pay vendors for several months or more.

#15244 8 years ago

Jeez, now its Obama's fault… although that is something I can agree with. He may be the only bigger loser than John Pop-a-dick.

#15246 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

health insurance as a company is only mandatory if you employee more than 12 people.

They changed the law, EVERY citizen has to buy health insurance if their employer does not provide it.

Quoted from toyotaboy:As for John by himself, who's to say he couldn't sign on to his wife's insurance plan?

His wife is self-employed too.

#15247 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's not like Obama is going to say "Hey, you are working full time on building a pinball machine? Sweet! Let me excuse you from our nation's health insurance laws...."

Quoted from toyotaboy:

health insurance as a company is only mandatory if you employee more than 12 people. As for John by himself, who's to say he couldn't sign on to his wife's insurance plan?

Really Vid, I don't understand where you are coming from. It sounds like you are very much on John's side when in face (clearly) he is in breach anyway you look at it, and he will be forced into total liquidation (and hopefully that will extend to his private assets). Can you please explain why you seem to be taking John's side?

#15248 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They changed the law, EVERY citizen has to buy health insurance if their employer does not provide it.

LOL on this being your argument why John doesn't have to provide a machine.

#15249 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Just when you think Jpop couldn't be anymore of a douche, you read something like this and he tops himself.

#15250 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

His wife is self-employed too.

Probably not a good time to start a pinball company then. Last time I checked it was something between $200-$600 per person to sign up for obamacare depending on coverage (still better than cobra, but only marginally).

Like a few have said before, maybe John should have started out really small at first, test the waters.. Like maybe just sketch up playfield layouts and sell prints, not go into a full fledged "pinball company" with a giant studio.

It's like I watch some of these restaurant impossible shows, and some of these restaurants are like 5,000 sq feet, and the owners have never ran a restaurant before. How about you try a catering service with little overhead instead of going full throttle in case things don't work out?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 305 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/305 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.