(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 302 of 491.
#15051 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It wouldn't feel like a victory to me, but rather a really dark mark on the hobby if he actually did jail time for that.

Interesting. I'm curious as to what others think. It is understood that if he were to do jail time, it would be the result of some pretty insidious deliberate acts on his part. He won't go to jail for simply being a bad businessman. So if he were convicted and the charges were significant enough for him to actually do time, is that really a "dark mark" on the hobby. I admit I am new to this so maybe John is a demigod, whose fall from grace is devastating. There are prominent people from almost every industry who have done bad things and been convicted and served time. Yet, the industry seems to do just fine. I realize this fiasco has dampened the passion of many; however, would the fact that John does time make more people leave the hobby and fewer enter? Since Aurich is a level-headed, elder statesman, I am guessing others feel the same..while I couldn't care less if he does time or not. Hence, my question

#15052 8 years ago

you gotta wonder where the prototypes are right now...

#15053 8 years ago

When you take in a large amount of money for any company or service or any business purpose you have a fiduciary duty to those who paid it to you to handle the money responsibly or put professionals in place to do it for you. It is not a case where you handed your money over so if it disappears its your own fault. That is not correct and the way john has run his business after collecting the money is absolutely a crime. He is not absolved of his duty to produce the product and manage the company in a financially responsible way after you hand over your money. On this, you are simply wrong, aurich.

#15054 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Blatant lies on progress to customers, lack of any type of business plan, complete waste of resources, incomplete accounting and deposits, by all accounts no real intention of going into production, and to top it off - taking a salary before paying employees and contractors. Fraud is the deliberate intent to secure unlawful gain and difficult to prove, but I think a case could be made for just that.

Naw, bad progress estimates aren't lies, over selling a sales pitch - not a lie, lack of business plan? Not unusual, waste of resources - no doubt, but again just poor management. Bad records on accounting? Sure. Intent? how do you proove. Salary w/o paying others - also is a common thing.

As much as folks want punishment - my opinion is that the legal system will empathize, but not find civil or criminal judgments.

#15055 8 years ago

Let's just bring on the bankruptcy and sell off the parts. No more pinball arts & crafts.

#15056 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I think somebody hacked Aurich's account.

Why, because I think he shouldn't go to jail? That he should pay for it financially instead? Including bankruptcy, selling off assets, and repaying anything and everything he can? That while I feel for everyone who lost money on this I also believe that when you take a risk the possibility of getting burned has to be taken into account?

I promise I'm not saying I told you so. I'm not victim blaming. I think John screwed everyone, it sucks, and I wish you had your games. But if you got back, I dunno, 2 years or something, I was saying I thought this was a horrible idea, and people shouldn't send John money. It was a genuine risk, no guarantees. And the worst case has basically come to pass, but we all knew it was possible right?

John is a crappy person in my mind. I could say it nastier than that, but it's good enough. And not just for being a space case, and a control freak, but for lying to people, for stringing them along, for screwing vendors, and just all around doing everything he could to F this all up.

And that's lawsuit territory, no question. His name is, and should be, mud in pinball now. If he never comes to another show again it will be too soon. Take his money, whatever he has. He was steward of your million, and he didn't take his responsibility seriously.

#15057 8 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Maybe on the way to the Chinese pinball factory to be dissected. . BOM there is expected to be sub 3k.

#15058 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You weren't paying for a product. You were investing in a startup, with the hope of receiving a product out of it. Startups fail all the time. People lose money. No one goes to jail.
Seriously, this notion that John is going to jail, or even will be convicted of any kind of fraud, is just not happening. The lawsuit may or may not recover any money, and it will most certainly cause bankruptcy, but that's going to be the extent of it in all likelihood.

Certainly cause bankruptcy? Not the lawsuits... I would guess as long as Zidware is still hoping to deliver, and there was no contractual deadline (was there a delivery date in the contract/purchase agreement that was violated?), there will be little for a judge to rule a chapter 7 is warranted.

I don't even think a group of pre-orders could force an involuntary, b/c there is no lack of contract fulfillment if no dates were written or promised.

THere's a lot of angry pinsiders and pre-order "owners", but I haven't seen anything a judge could consider as a breach of contract, fraud or theft. Just a bad business guy, with too optimistic pre-orders that will not be fulfilled. If no refunds were offered in the contract - I also think that collections or judgments for refunds have no basis either.

#15059 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

WTH?
What did I miss?
Something appears to have happened that I've completely missed, and I thought I was caught up on the thread. Where has JPop indicated that Zidware is going to continue? Where was this said/posted?? Where is the exact quote??

post number 15007?

#15060 8 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

I admit I am new to this so maybe John is a demigod, whose fall from grace is devastating.

Nah. Lots of people in pinball are probably not surprised, including everyone who's ever worked with him.

I guess maybe I'm just too soft hearted or something, but the idea that someone would do jail time for failing to build a pinball just kinda depresses me. I wouldn't want that to be part of the hobby I love.

Go after him though, he deserves it. And I don't think the law will indicated jail time. And if it does then it will be, in my opinion, because he did things even worse than we know about right now. And then so be it.

#15061 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

WTH?
What did I miss?
Something appears to have happened that I've completely missed, and I thought I was caught up on the thread. Where has JPop indicated that Zidware is going to continue? Where was this said/posted?? Where is the exact quote??

post number 15007?

#15062 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

post number 15007?

The new server is doing some really squirrelly stuff right now.

#15063 8 years ago

Having talked in person to people who have lost thousands, I can tell you the remedies they were the most keen on didn't involve bankruptcy, they involved visits to the ER.

People are pissed.

I wouldn't put it past Popaduik to show up at a pinball show in the future though - he's clearly delusional and it might not even occur to him that he might face Great Harm™ showing up.

#15064 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

post number 15007?

That post was not a direct quote and should be taken as such until someone posts the quote in its full context and unedited.

#15065 8 years ago

As is agreed by all, john is a bad businessman, and after reading one of the posts above regarding them not finding any evidence of zidware being a legal entity, I have to wonder if he was so bad, that it will end up being good. Meaning, if he really did not create a true legal entity that would provide protection for him personally from liability, then all of his personal assets become available for vendors and customers to pursue, which would obviously provide far greater assets than there would be if zidware is a legal entity. It would also put John in a painful situation for much longer then just zidware going bankrupt and clearly most here would to see him feel the pain for as along as possible.

#15066 8 years ago

The checks I sent were made to "Zidware Inc"

#15067 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You weren't paying for a product. You were investing in a startup, with the hope of receiving a product out of it. Startups fail all the time. People lose money. No one goes to jail.

If it were a kickstarter/crowdsourced thing.. yes. But here, people were signing up to buy a product (alas knowing their purchase was from a fledgling company). They were customers, not investors. Investors assume risks in hopes of a payout... here these people never expected anything but the game they ordered. They are not investors in their roles.. which is also why they have no claim to zidware's assets or residuals.

Quoted from Aurich:

The lawsuit may or may not recover any money, and it will most certainly cause bankruptcy, but that's going to be the extent of it in all likelihood.

I agree - 'failing to deliver on a sales order' != criminal fraud.

#15068 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The checks I sent were made to "Zidware Inc"

Maybe he started a Sole Proprietorship called "Zidware Inc". I wouldn't be surprised.

#15069 8 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Waiting for STI to pick it up and be sent back to Zidware.

#15070 8 years ago

Obviously an oversimplification, but:

If Kevin at SkitB isnt going to face criminal charges (after CLEARLY misrepresenting the product and violating licensing, etc, etc) it's hard to imagine jpop will.

Doesn't make it right or better, but I think criminal charges are a pipe dream.

The "good" news is criminal charges aren't necessary to ruin his life....

#15071 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Maybe he started a Sole Proprietorship called "Zidware Inc". I wouldn't be surprised.

didn't someone previously in this thread do a corp lookup? His wife was a director of the company. Sounds like it is incorporated.

#15072 8 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

He calls his company Zidware Inc but I see there is already an unrelated Zidware Inc in IL. So, did he REALLY incorporate? If so, where? I couldn't find any reference.

Yes, Zidware, Inc. is incorporated in the State of Illinois (File No.: 66577511).

Use the following link, and search for Corporate > Key Word > Zidware.

http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/

ZidwareInc.jpgZidwareInc.jpg

#15073 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

. It is not a case where you handed your money over so if it disappears its your own fault. That is not correct and the way john has run his business after collecting the money is absolutely a crime. He is not absolved of his duty to produce the product and manage the company in a financially responsible way after you hand over your money

No, this is your OPINION... you'd have an incredibly high standard to breach to argue criminal fault in simply making bad choices. Misappropriating money, laundering, embezzling, etc.. ok, you'd have something to fight with. But you have none of that, your whole position is "They failed, they failed because of JPop, hence he's a fraud, and a criminal". You really have nothing.

#15074 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'll see you at the TBL funeral. I'm happy for you that you predicted this but here's mine. Adios TBL

New TBL update references Jpop. Things are still looking good. Some positive news for a change.

TBL1.jpgTBL1.jpg TBL2.jpgTBL2.jpg TBL3.jpgTBL3.jpg TBL4.jpgTBL4.jpg TBL5.jpgTBL5.jpg
#15075 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Waiting for STI to pick it up and be sent back to Zidware.

+1
John did confirm with me yesterday that he had the shipping arranged.

#15076 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Lots of people in pinball are probably not surprised, including everyone who's ever worked with him.

How true it is...but understated.

#15077 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This might not be a popular opinion, but I don't want John to go to jail.

There are ways to make anything tolerable.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#15078 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

New TBL update references Jpop. Things are still looking good. Some positive news for a change.

Isn't it risky for DP to be using light tubes since JJP has already done that in WOZ and Jack said they have a bunch of patent applications for WOZ and Hobbit?

#15079 8 years ago

JJP didn't invent light pipes, so I doubt it.

#15080 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Isn't it risky for DP to be using light tubes since JJP has already done that in WOZ and Jack said they have a bunch of patent applications for WOZ and Hobbit?

Anfd that pic looks like they have the same issues as WOZ. The light isn't "thrown". Look how dark everything around it is. We'll see when it's done...

#15081 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

This is the key. If enough people complain, they will pursue criminal charges. This is how it works these days. Including the FBI.
In fact, if any individual people wanted their money back, chances are if they were making a big enough stink, JPop would probably pay them off to stop. This happens all the time. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

We already have precedent with a start up that was flat out lying about licensing, took money and spent some or all of it. The FBI was involved, local cops were involved. The FBI and local cops said no crimes had been committed. Look up Skit B... If he isnt getting popped, then JisntgettingPOPPED.

#15082 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Certainly cause bankruptcy? Not the lawsuits... I would guess as long as Zidware is still hoping to deliver, and there was no contractual deadline (was there a delivery date in the contract/purchase agreement that was violated?), there will be little for a judge to rule a chapter 7 is warranted.
I don't even think a group of pre-orders could force an involuntary, b/c there is no lack of contract fulfillment if no dates were written or promised.
THere's a lot of angry pinsiders and pre-order "owners", but I haven't seen anything a judge could consider as a breach of contract, fraud or theft. Just a bad business guy, with too optimistic pre-orders that will not be fulfilled. If no refunds were offered in the contract - I also think that collections or judgments for refunds have no basis either.

This is so completely wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

I seriously can't even believe what I just read.

#15083 8 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Interesting. I'm curious as to what others think. It is understood that if he were to do jail time, it would be the result of some pretty insidious deliberate acts on his part. He won't go to jail for simply being a bad businessman. So if he were convicted and the charges were significant enough for him to actually do time, is that really a "dark mark" on the hobby. I admit I am new to this so maybe John is a demigod, whose fall from grace is devastating. There are prominent people from almost every industry who have done bad things and been convicted and served time. Yet, the industry seems to do just fine. I realize this fiasco has dampened the passion of many; however, would the fact that John does time make more people leave the hobby and fewer enter? Since Aurich is a level-headed, elder statesman, I am guessing others feel the same..while I couldn't care less if he does time or not. Hence, my question

You're not alone in your thinking. I couldn't care less if Jpop goes to jail (but it would be great if he did). The actions of Zidware have zero impact on how I feel about the hobby. Black mark on the hobby if Jpop does time? Not in my world. The only thing I take from this debacle, is DON'T preorder, ever!

#15084 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Get that letter he posted (where he admitted there are no longer enough funds to make the games) in front of a judge in BK court and you may get an involuntary bankruptcy...

#15085 8 years ago

As soon as I read about John hoping for a millionaire coming in to save the day, I pictured President Nixon when he was leaving the White House for the last time.
He went up the helicopter steps, turned around with a big smile and flashed the v for victory fingers in the air.
Everyone was like "really?" Victory?
John seems to be doing the same thing.....wow.

#15086 8 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

That vid is exactly how I pictured the police work going down with Pred (and probably with JPonzi)... Literally, like having your car stolen, knowing 100% who did it, reporting it, but when they find your 'stolen' car in their driveway they can't charge them because the didn't find the car with the 'thief' physically in the drivers seat at the time. 'Murrica!

I pulled out of my driveway once, (1 lane road) and got behind a guy driving 4 miles per hour. After about 10 minutes, we got to the red light, and he stopped half a block in front of it. I could tell the guy was obviously inebriated, so I called the police. Got them on the line (the police office is about a quarter mile from this red light), and told them what was going on. "O.K., we're trying to intercept the car". So I drove behind the guy for another mile after he started moving, swerving all over the place. Eventually he started speeding. we're on a 4 lane road going through neighborhoods, he's driving on the left lane, even up on the sidewalk at one point. Could have killed all kinds of people... every few minutes, he stops the car right in the middle of the road. The whole time I'm driving behind him (at legal speeds) talking to the operator.

We drive all the way across town, took probably 20 minutes. The guy eventually pulls into a McDonalds, and parks backwards in the drivethrough, turns the car off. The operator informed me that a police officer had finally 'caught up' with us (this is a city of a million people), and had seen the guy park the car, but since he wasn't driving it anymore, he went ahead and cleared the call out. So she informed me that I could watch him for awhile to see if he left again, then call them back.

That was the last time I tried to be a good citizen

#15087 8 years ago

Revealed! the machine is supposedly near the Port of Tacoma at 3500 20th Street E. in Fife, Washington 98424

#15088 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

That was the last time I tried to be a good citizen

I was waiting for the story to end with the cop giving you a ticket for using a phone while driving.

#15089 8 years ago

I wonder how many people were in for all three games!? Oh boy that would hurt like a Mother!!!

#15090 8 years ago

I find it disappointing that someone can get away with something like this and most people are like, "Meh, what can you do?"

There are always ways to get justice or get your money back. It depends upon whether you're going to let yourself be railroaded or not.

There's a good argument to let it go, but the problem is, that enables the scammers and the horrible people. They count on people being too distracted, lazy or non-confrontational to go after them.

John's wife is listed as the secretary of the company. She appears to be formally associated with the recordkeeping and a culpable party. Does she work somewhere? Why don't you call call her employer and explain what's going on? I'd be sending letters everywhere. He wants all this to go away, pulling his web site down and hiding, waiting for everybody to forget. And the way things are going, it looks like that's what's going to happen... Nobody really believes he's broke. There are perfectly legal ways to drive home the point that you refuse to be defrauded and best be refunded.. NOW.

Then again, you can just sit and wait and not do anything. But, there were people that hounded John and got their money back. Every day that passes, the chance of being made right gets a little less likely.

Take a look at sites like

http://www.ripoffreport.com/

There are lots of these online where you can post details of your experience with him and his company and it'll stay there. Other people chime in and collaborate to seek justice. There are lots of places like this online designed to help victims organize and fight fraud.

#15091 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

The contracts do offer refunds which John has not honored.
I don't see anyway Zidware can avoid bankruptcy voluntary or involuntary in the next month.

Thanks for the work you put in NW show wouldn't have been possible without your help.

#15092 8 years ago

What about the local news? Do they they still do "Help me! I got screwed!" segments? Get a news camera and reporter up in John's face...if ANYTHING, there is a compelling story to be told here. Us Pinball people know what a delusional conman he is....his entire local community should know. If he's not going to pay people back, make him a friggin' pariah in his community. Is he still working as a teacher? Make sure the place that employs him know what an unethical scammer he is. He's taken from the pinball community and won't give back? Well, turnabout is fair play...take his dignity, his reputation, his employment opportunities...see how he likes being screwed.

#15093 8 years ago

Hey Aurich, call your buddy at WIRED and have him do a Rise and Fall piece on this. They love stories like that.

#15094 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Hey Aurich, call your buddy at WIRED and have him do a Rise and Fall piece on this. They love stories like that.

Something has to has risen. We now all know JPop was just a phony and dependent on the competent people at Bally/Williams in the 90's for his perceived success.

#15095 8 years ago

Better yet, call Adobe!

(or Saul...)

#15096 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You weren't paying for a product. You were investing in a startup, with the hope of receiving a product out of it.

Huh? I thought we had bought limited pinball machines, we were even given serial numbers. I must have missed the part about investing in a startup to hopefully get a pinball machine and that we weren't paying for a product.

#15097 8 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

Huh? I thought we had bought limited pinball machines, we were even given serial numbers. I must have missed the part about investing in a startup to hopefully get a pinball machine and that we weren't paying for a product.

Come on, how much this sucks this is very naive to think. Is was a startup from the start. Did he have production line ? A team of engineers ? Office ? Everything was paid for by the preorder money.

#15098 8 years ago

Maybe John will join the class action on zidware and put his claims in for all the extra work he put in and didn't get paid for......you guys do realize he's a victim as well......

#15099 8 years ago
Quoted from ShaunoftheDead:

Maybe John will join the class action on zidware and put his claims in for all the extra work he put in and didn't get paid for......you guys do realize he's a victim as well......

Ive seen similar things happen...

#15100 8 years ago

Ok, I probably don't have the right to say disparaging things about the U.S.
In fact I love being neighbors to the US, my son has married a gal from L.A. And lives in Phoenix, so consider my comments as coming from a "brother in law"- not really in the family but close enough.
Something is terribly wrong with the US judicial system, if someone can rob another's wallet and end up in jail, and all the lawyers, or lawyer wannabes on Pinside, keep saying..nope can't touch John, he's free to go. Maybe I'm too naive.
(Running outside now, to get the garden hose, to douse the flames, that are surely coming)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 302 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/302 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.