(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

470 posts in this topic match your search for posts by aurich. You are on page 2 of 2.
#6643 9 years ago

I have to say, skipping launching the game at Expo in favor of having it randomly show up on location for a few hours has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard. That's just incredibly out of touch.

Let's see, I could put my game in front of the most influential pinball audience of the year, who come in from around the world, all in one spot, and dominate the media conversation for weeks.

Or, I could put my game into a random spot, where it might be played by some people who have no idea what it is, and then cart it out again before word even had a chance to spread. But lol, it's magical and unexpected because Jpop is a wizard!

Don't hire a PR person who doesn't understand pinball. FFS.

Zidware PR PlanZidware PR Plan

#6644 9 years ago

I should add that we shouldn't forget that Jpop's warranty is voided if the game is ever put on location.

#6673 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Did you see Kaneda's PR job for Zidware? You were gonna get your machine first!

Makin' bold movesMakin' bold moves

#6680 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Surely that's not for real. I'm confused. Kaneda has been sending me PMs since January wanting discuss his marketing plans for Jpop.
How about finishing and delivering a pin. That's all the marketing you need

That is sadly all too real.

#6684 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This is what blows my mind. He seems resigned on failure and is just stalling for time. And when it's all over then he'll say "sorry guys, I worked 24/7, did everything I could, and it just didn't work out, have a nice life"

I assumed he was stalling hoping for an angel to swoop in and buy him out.

Sorry to say it, but that sounds like colossal waste of capital to me. Just buying out the debt alone seems like a terrible investment.

#6698 9 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

It's amazing how forgetful and forgiving people in this community can be because they really want a game and hope still exists that they may get it.

Ha, ain't that the truth!

The flip side of that though is that people are really understanding and forgiving if you just treat them like adults and keep up communication.

If things aren't going as well as you hoped then just tell people. It's hiding it and lying that always gets you in trouble.

#6726 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I expect this one to pass it in a less than a month frankly. The Skit-b thread is going to slow down while Kevin K basically hides under his bed not refunding people and the heat dies on him.

I tried to check in with the Predator thread and saw it was still people arguing about the definition of the word scam, and pointing fingers in some weird McCarthy witch hunt over the anonymous group. Keeping it drained.

#6740 9 years ago

Hey, we all have different tastes. I bet no very few people in this thread would agree on the greatest pinball of all time. If someone wants to think it's CV then hey, go for it.

I don't know anyone who would personally agree with that, I know I sure don't. It's not even a top 50 for me. Bombed when it came out, which is why you can still find nice ones that are HUO, snatched up at huge discounts from distributors who were eager to dump it.

Way overpriced now, but all the Jpop games are really. There's no gameplay behind the nice prices, just some pretties. TOM isn't too bad actually, you can get a fair price for that.

#6781 9 years ago

I thought the only reason John was even going to involved was because he had some toy or mech he wanted to add to the game. No idea how that would work, practically speaking. But let's be honest, Rick wants to sell remakes, not kits for old games.

#6785 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Aaron is Funhouse 2.0 getting done? If so how close are you

Already discussed in another thread, nothing has happened with it yet.

#6815 9 years ago
Quoted from Warbleboopie:

I went ahead and emailed my resume, credentials, a nice one-page introduction and additional information to Jpop. I've heard what you all have to say, but I am the best programmer that I know. If Jpop decides to let me work with him on the project, I will drive this to completion I guarantee it.

Quoted from Warbleboopie:

Okay, I tried, you guys are on your own.

Another well meaning person steps in to try and help, confident everyone else just didn't have the right approach, and discovers the common theme in all the failures.

Face it guys, there is no super hero in a cape who's going to bail this out. Plenty of people have been perfectly capable, but John isn't interested in being saved.

#6822 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

incapable of feeling pain

That will come in handy to avoid feeling bad about being rejected.

#6840 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

No offense, but how do we know you are what you say you are? I mean it's possible for someone to say whatever on the Internet and say they contacted John etc.. But we have no proof if this.
IMO.

Does it really matter? Whole thing could be made up, won't change the situation. Plenty of people we know are real have tried.

As for John communicating ... he's had plenty of time to work on and shoot videos of vaporware game 3, so there's simply no way he has no time to work on MG or respond to people.

#6841 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Just out of curiosity, what did he say?

Greg pasted the email to me. He called Jpop a f*ucking nihilist, and apologized for TBL being so late, but at least they had an ethos.

#6869 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm thinking that almost none of the current owners would agree to this unless it is shown that JPop has some type of investor that will basically be taking over the project. There is a hell of a lot more going on here than him being out of money (or not being able to make a profit), so why would owners agree to a higher production number when he can't even make a few of them now?

No investor would step in with the ridiculous limits he has in place though. Only way buying him out makes any sense at all is to drop the limits, compensate the original owners in one fashion or another, and open the market.

That won't do much good for $17k machines, you'd have to figure out the BOM and price reasonably.

If I had the money to buy him out I'd making firing him one of the conditions of the sale though. Buy the designs and get someone to finish them and let him go do whatever, but nothing with the games. Because really.

At the very, very least, you have to have complete override and veto power, and the ability to just do what needs to be done with or without his cooperation.

Ice, I'd save your money man. If you're desperate to become a pinball sugar daddy you can do a lot more with your cash than this.

#6873 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Don't do that man. I'd rather work with you and build any pinball game you want, for free if you pay for everything, than see you throw money down a black hole.
I can do the engineering, we could get FAST involved for the hardware and code, and maybe even convince Aurich to do the art.
I just don't want to see anyone lose more money.

Hey, Heighway has proved that I'm happy to be involved in serious projects!

Seriously though, what would it take to buy out John? A million at least just to cover the debts? And then what else? To get what? Some broken, non-functioncal games and some art. Zombie Yettie does great work, but it didn't cost a million to hire him.

Take that money, and talk to Spooky about investing in getting them a real factory line and some assets, it will go 100x further.

#6895 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Never played AMH, but Spooky cannot compete in the art department. It doesn't really matter who you want to bring up, no one can touch JPOP for his art. Spooky would design functional machines, but they just won't look anything like a JPop game which is why people threw money at him to begin with.

Uh, you do realize Jpop doesn't do any of the art? Like none of it, right? None of the games he did at Williams. None of the games he's not finishing at Zidware. He designs playfields, he doesn't draw them. I think he's probably a good art director, his pins have a certain consistency that says he knows how to work with people and ask for things the right way, but that's it.

So yeah, lots of people can touch him for his art. Frankly you could probably hire any of the people who've done art for him.

Beyond that, I happen to know who's doing the art for Spooky's next pin, and if I had to choose between a game done by said artist and Zombie Yettie (who's work I really like) I'd take the Spooky artist. The package for their next game could be absolutely killer. Spooky can absolutely compete, they just have to hire a bad ass artist, which is all Jpop did. It's not that hard really.

#6936 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

So no, just hiring the artist does not equate to an instant home run in the looks dept.

Of course not, it take good art direction. A good theme helps a lot too. And John's obviously good at it. But he doesn't have some kind of monopoly on that talent. I'm disputing the notion that "no one can touch him" on art. Sure they can.

#6943 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Good luck Aurich, you can't get a much better tittle than Alien to prove yourself....no pressure
I guess this means a Congo translite is not in our foreseeable future!

Ha, no pressure indeed.

And yeah, I'm sure I'll get back to mods later, but right now Alien is obviously the priority.

As for buying out John ... the thing that's crazy to me is we still haven't even seen a game flipping. For all the pretty art we still don't know if these games are even any fun. Do they shoot well? Who knows!

No designer nails it every time, with maybe the exception of Brian Eddy, who retired batting 1.000

If you take away the super crazy limited collector thing, and yet they're still pricey games, how much interest will there truly be?

No offense to anyone who's offered to help, but can you program a fun game?

Just so many unknowns. That plus the baggage makes it seem like a crazy venture to want to jump into with a lot of cash.

#6953 9 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

But to your point, the second game I was working on, when I finally got it to the point I could actually play it for real, vs a 'simulator', I was just not happy with it, the toys were great, and was pretty pleased with where the the dots and sounds were, but the overall play relative to the software was just "off" -- too much going on at the same time which confused things, and it needs some serious re-work -- but it does have cool toys.

Definitely an art to making it all gel together. We have really high expectations now as home players for sophisticated rule sets. When a new Stern comes out we're just as (if not more) interested in who the programmer is compared to the playfield designer or artist.

I'm not saying no one in this thread could do it. But it's just another big unknown.

#6967 9 years ago

Pretty sure John is registering cocktailpinball.com even as we speak.

#7068 8 years ago

Wow. At last, the reason the first game isn't done and you're dicking around on game three has been revealed! Pinside! Damn you Pinside!

#7092 8 years ago

Imagine how different things would be right now if there was a flipping MG. Not shipping. Not done. Just flipping with some music and lights. Lebowski at Expo style.

FAST could have done it over a weekend.

Would have staved off so much negativity. If he's looking to sell out it would have been a huge boost.

But nope. Had to be stubborn and refuse help. And now he's f%^ked and blaming anyone he can. Such a pity.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to bleep myself, my bad!

#7108 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

John will be remembered for using up over $1 million of the community's money and never showed a playing game for all that money and years of time.

That's the biggest tragedy of all of this in a way. It's not that he failed to actually *build* them, because he never even got that far. That's the crazy hard part too!

Hell, Skit-B showed a flipping game. I played it!

We never actually saw a second of gameplay. Not one. Some pathetic white wood footage of the slingshot area and a ball bouncing around in it, and that's it.

Now that I've read the email again I can't see it saying anything other than he's broke. He's out of money, it's over, and he's just hoping for some last minute angel to save him, and he's mad that Pinside has revealed all the dirty laundry and failings that he's tried to sweep under the rug, because it's making it harder for him to get bailed out.

Sell out or declare bankruptcy, those are the paths that seem open from that email. He almost sounded like he was sad that he wasn't forced to liquidate.

#7113 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Why is it that, in a VERY small way, I feel sorry for this guy?

I do. Definitely. The whole thing is very sad. No one is cheering that he failed. I'd much rather he succeeded and people were happy with their games.

I don't think he's a bad person. He had good intentions, good ideas, and he got in way over his head, from the start. If you look back it was really doomed to failure from the beginning.

But with a business partner or two, that he actually allowed to have power of their own domains? Could have been a very different story.

As it is, he's fully to blame, for all of it. His name and reputation in pinball are ruined, probably forever. And that's a pity. But people have the right to be mad at him, he lost them a ton of money, and created years of frustration.

Quoted from jwilson:

I'd feel a bit sorry for him if he would just admit to *some* culpability in the situation, but he's blaming everyone else but himself.
That's one of the most frustrating aspects of this whole thing. If he'd just *be honest* and own up to it, I bet everyone would forgive him. That is, if it wasn't all just a scam all along for him to tinker around in his sandbox on other people's dime.

Dead on. So stupid, if he'd just admitted the issues from the beginning people would have found ways to help. Instead he refused help and pretended nothing was wrong. Congrats, you controlled the whole thing, all the way into a spiral straight into the ground.

#7119 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Your $100 appears to be safe.

Man, I was feeling ranty that day!

I also have two Shadow translites I need to pack up.

#7124 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Holy crap, the last time I saw Aurich that worked up it was . . . never.

Pretty sure if you can find a post that's more worked up than that one it's probably in this thread too.

I think I probably wrote that post after talking to people who were personally getting the run around from John and just couldn't stand seeing friends and people I respected getting the shaft over and over from this guy. Yes, I do feel a little sorry for him. But I've got so many stories how of the way he constantly pissed away opportunities, discarding people along with them, and in an arrogant and ridiculous way to boot, that I just can't put this on anyone else but squarely his shoulders.

Look how he turned his back on Ben, and then who shipped a finished pinball? I played America's Most Haunted in 2013! John can't even show Magic Girl flipping.

The irony of being mad over Chuck working on his own zombie-themed game, when now it's not even going to come out as Pinball Zombies anymore. And you know what? The art on that one is going to be killer, and it's gonna ship, and John still won't have a game to his name.

You're getting me worked up again!

#7146 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So there is more going on than we realize.

I dunno, I don't think it really takes more than we already know.

John wanted to build way too few games, for way too much money, and he wanted to reinvent the wheel on every part, requiring custom manufacturing and tooling every step of the way.

The hinges for instance, not something you can just order a bunch up of because they're standard, you have to send the prototype to the factory, have them build a one off duplicate to approve, and then set up the tooling so you, what? Order 100? The scale makes no sense, the investment makes no sense.

Maybe you ditch the hinges, no one cared anyways. But every part and bit might have the same mentality. Giant headaches and tons of cash. Not worth it.

#7152 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Unfortunately we could copy and paste your message and repost going back in this thread from many different authors.

I think Mr. 68 has the record for shortest time between posting one of those hopeful messages and lapsing back into despair. His posts were like an hour apart. (Sorry Kim!)

#7153 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

oh and PS.... we can't continue with the "I had a great conversation, can't tell you what we talked about but I'm excited!"

This. I have cool, exciting conversations with people about pinball projects all the time. I just don't post about them. Maybe some day some of them will come to light. If you can't say what it is, just keep it to yourself. Because honestly there's no benefit. No offense, but no one at this point will believe you, you're not making anyone actually feel better. And if you're wrong you just end up feeling dumb.

Better to just be hopeful if you have reason to hope, and see what happens.

Edit: Just re-read this, and I sound like a total douche with the "cool, exciting conversations with people about pinball projects all the time" comment. Just saying, I chat with people about their ideas and plans, and lots of it sounds awesome, but it's not really cool to share that I had some conversation. Best to keep private conversations as private.

#7167 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

IMO
Instead all his posturing and his defensiveness, if he would be more open with his progress and refund anyone who desires a refund he could continue on his way and everyone would be happy.
Why can't he see that, if he doesn't want the owners to be worked up about his games, then he should either deliver the games or refund since he has missed his deadline by 2 years.

He can't refund. You have to have money to do that, he clearly has none.

You need money to build games too. Let's face it, none of them are remotely close to done, it will be years before they are (if ever), and he doesn't have the funds to do that, and build them.

An investor steps up, he sells off the games to someone else, or it's over. I can't see any other reasonable scenario. If he's mad that Pinside is messing up his deals he really has no one to blame but himself.

#7186 8 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Here's where the disconnect is. The 2 titles are mostly complete.

Here's my disconnect. I don't believe you. Sorry, just don't. But it's simple, can be proved with 20 minutes of effort. Mr. I WORK 8 DAYS A WEEK can find 20 minutes.

Post a video, of both games, flipping. Right now. Tuesday night. If they're mostly complete he can do that.

If he doesn't then I assume you're wrong, don't understand that there's a lot more to do and are dazzled by his LSD that he exudes from his sweat.

He's broke, the games have easily a year to go before they're even ready for production, he has no factory, and no money to buy one, it's over. You have to see this. There's no path for him to ride solo on this anymore, if there's even a path at all.

#7188 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You seem to know him best....please, help us understand the psychology at work here....the big question - "WHY!?!?!" Why does he feel like silence and lack of communication is benefiting him? If there's a Pro and Con list for how he's going about things, what could possibly be in the Pro column? Forget about Pinside for a second...he clearly sees that his own buyers and supporters want communication and answers...they're clearly angry. What could possibly be his reason for continuing in the same manner?

Don't even post it publicly! You have people who signed an NDA and are apparently crazy enough to still be following it, even though it's utterly invalidated, and he couldn't afford a lawyer if he wanted to.

Put it on the sekrit blog. Isn't that what people ponied up $20,000 to see? They paid for all the access, Steve is telling us they're practically done, and no one has seen one. It's like a freaking unicorn.

Steve, you know I'm not trying to pick on you here, but what you're saying is insanity. If you're right, and I seriously have trouble believing, but if you are, and he's not posting that for the owners? He's a psychopath. People are ready to <edited> him, they're ready to take him to court, they want to burn things to the ground, and he won't even show them the thing they're paying to see? It's madness.

This is setting aside the fact that both games could be 100% done and he still couldn't build them. Again, I played Predator. Finished game. No one got one in the year it took to drag Kevin down. This isn't about "it's just missing a few toys". Oh, and code. That pesky code. All that, and you're still a long way out from done, and requiring a lot more money than he's already spent. That he doesn't have.

Explain to me how any of this makes any sense, because you still seem to be holding out this thought that he's *so close*.

#7192 8 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

But if you're calling me a liar for stating what I saw with my own eyes, then the burden is on YOU to prove that.

Oh I believe he showed you something, I don't think you're a liar. I just don't believe they're close to done. I think it's a facade. People have been walking out his shop talking about how things are *this close* for over a year now. I think it's weaponized aerosol psychedelics in the ventilation system.

But let's just say you're right. Totally dead on.

Games are done! And ... he won't show them to the people who paid for the access. That shouldn't make anyone feel better, that should make them feel angrier. They guy isn't bumbling about, in over his head, instead he's purposefully holding out finished games from you so he can dink around on foam core Alice in Wonderland designs. That's how little he cares about you.

You see how there's no winning this scenario?

#7199 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Everyone saw the MGs in this thread. Looks done except for the ramps.

Who's flipped it?

Who's lifted the playfield, and seen that the parts are real, and wired up?

Who's seen the inserts work?

Who's see the LCD screen interact with the game?

You know what I'm saying? What have we really seen? 3 machines in the background of a video.

How can we know if we're not really just looking at:

this?this?

Does anything at this stage deserve the benefit of the doubt? Show it flipping, or it's not real. That's what I think.

#7256 8 years ago

Been busy and so has the writer for Wired, but we're going to try and talk in a couple hours, he's apparently still interested in the story even knowing it's a trainwreck. We'll see.

Quoted from zombieyeti:

Hey guys - I'm sorting thru things and just spoke with John - I'm hoping for the best.

Good luck man. Hopefully you at least get paid. Like I said in my email, maybe we can find an opportunity that isn't vaporware based for you.

#7284 8 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

You are a good guy, StevenP, even if your zidware glasses are a little rosier tinted than most others these days. John needs to listen to you.

Welp, good work, you just lost the owners another $20, John's off registering zidwareglasses.com now.

#7297 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Except I grabbed it first.

Need to just make it a page with this image:

rose-colored-glasses.jpgrose-colored-glasses.jpg

Quoted from zombieyeti:

And I'd LOVE to continue doing pinball art - no question there!

One way or another we'll get your art on a shipping game.

#7327 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

It makes me smile to hear so many people appreciate the effort I've put into it. It means a LOT! Thanks everyone - you've got a rad community here!

Your work has basically been the only thing sustaining anyone on this project.

#7336 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Aurich-
Dude. Introduce Yeti to Andrew Heighway for future games!

I'm not saying it will happen, but I've already exchanged thoughts on the matter with both parties. See where things go.

He'd also be an awesome fit for a future Spooky title, you never know.

Great artist, loves pinball, and my personal fav, he's an Ars Technica fan. If I can help him get onto a pin that goes into production I will.

#7377 8 years ago
Quoted from onelastflip:

Zombie Yeti's art is absolutely amazing. I wish he was doing the art for Alien. Aurich's AC/DC backglass is nice, but this guy is in another league.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Aurich's strength is his art direction and, seeing as the images for the artwork on Alien will be provided by Fox, the license holder, he is the right man for the job. I'm sure Zombie Yeti could do some awesome Alien artwork but it likely wouldn't be approved by Fox.

Quoted from onelastflip:

Why wouldn't it be approved? If he knew what the parameters were, surely he could design within them. I just think he's levels above anyone else and would love to see his stuff on more pins. Magic Girl looks SO DAMN GOOD.

For the record I take zero offense to any of this. I've said it before, say it again, there are lots of people who are better illustrators than me. I know where my strengths are, and where they aren't.

But yeah, the reality is as much as I think ZY is a great illustrator, when you start dealing with licensed titles it becomes tricky. Without discussing anything specific with regards to Alien, just dealing with films especially can be hard. It's not impossible to do hand drawn art for them, but it's way harder to get approved. Brands can be very picky about how they're represented, and you have to go through a lot more channels if you're straying from certain styles.

I can tell you that ZY is very talented, and versatile, he has work that doesn't look anything like what he's done for John, and I imagine he'd be up to a lot of challenges. My hope would be that if he got involved in another pinball project (and if I can help make that happen I will) it would be one where he was able to shine with what he does best, instead of having to work around restrictions that didn't play to his strengths.

Edit: Didn't read this page before replying, I see I'm being a bit redundant. I can't talk about Alien, but I will say that it's not going to be a copy paste job.

#7378 8 years ago
Quoted from onelastflip:

I did find it funny that Aurich was already relegating Zombie to do a Spooky game. No offense, but Zombie should be doing the hottest properties out there, and Aliens is one of them. This guys talent would sell pins by itself.

Not to beat this topic to death, but for the record I'm not jealous or protective of anything, and I'm definitely not trying to push ZY into some corner because he's threatening me or anything ridiculous like that. As soon as I found out what happened I sent him an email offering whatever help I could, I'd love to see him do more games. I'd be delighted to see him do a big Heighway game, I already told Andrew that.

But let's not insult Spooky here. I'm predicting their next game will be sold out within a month of announcement. And it's not going to be a slouch in the art department either. Remember this when it's announced, and tell me I'm not right!

I suggested they'd be a great fit because the subject matter they love is right up ZY's alley. Who's the pinball company that's dedicated to horror, monsters, sci-fi, etc? I'm sure he could draw a great Xenomorph. But I'd rather see him work with ideas from his own head, and bring to life something more original.

#7385 8 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I hope so. I would have owned amh but couldn't get past the art package. I believe in what they're doing and want to support them. Hopefully you're right and the art package is much improved on game #2.

I'm personally very excited to see the art revealed. I haven't seen it myself, but I know who's doing it, and I predict it will be awesome.

I know this isn't a Spooky thread, but I don't like how they got kinda casually tossed under the bus here. Who has built a game and who hasn't?

The artist for Spooky game #2 is a bad ass. Zombie Yeti is an awesome illustrator. Pinball is better for having both of them involved, and I hope they both end up on (shipping!) killer games.

#7390 8 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Who, exactly, are you referring to? I wasn't throwing them under the bus if you were referring to me.

No no, that silly post from the new guy here:

Quoted from onelastflip:

I did find it funny that Aurich was already relegating Zombie to do a Spooky game.

Like doing a game for Spooky is getting sat down in the corner or something.

#7393 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

... who did not read Aurich's post very carefully, because in the very same sentence where he "relegated" ZY to a Spooky game, he first said he was facilitating communication between ZY and Heighway! Ah, the internet.

Just to be clear I'm not announcing he's going a Heighway game or anything. But I did mention him to Andrew when I saw what was going on, and I did email ZY and offer to do anything I could to help. Just don't want any rumors circulating or anything.

I don't know that Heighway has any titles coming up that would be a good fit. If I knew of one I'd be stoked to make that connection work though. And I do seriously think a Spooky game would be awesome.

All that's down the road though. Be nice if his work for John was able to be appreciated in the meantime, it's just feeling like a long shot.

#7409 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Ugh, bad flashbacks... I hope you're not implying that limited pre-orders of boutique pins is still fully alive and well.
Better alternative: 1. Build 2. Sell to demand.

I think it's more about the terms of the license. Maybe they'll find a way to make more, I think it will sell out pretty fast. We'll see!

#7417 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Sort of off-topic, but the Mondo guys consistently get big rights holders to sign off on very stylized illustration for their movie poster series, so I'm wondering what they're doing right. Is it because it's small, limited edition runs of posters versus a wide-release game? I wouldn't think it made much difference.

It's definitely not impossible. I'm a Mondo collector myself, one of the posters hanging behind me is from Alien. It's an incredible illustration. Make a terrible translite, way too dark, but I love the art.

My understanding is that even if you can get a brand to play ball with that, it's often a much harder (and longer) process to go through for approvals. I don't know how Mondo does it, but they can afford to spend however long they need for a poster to get approved I would think, they sell out in 4 minutes, they practically should be investigated for printing money.

When you have a pinball that's on a schedule, where the art is just one part of a lot of other moving parts it's not really as easy to do that. If a studio says to you "you can go this route, and we can fast track approval, or you can go this other route, and it's going to be a long process" it's hard as a manufacturer to want to pick choice 2. That's a long delay before you can show art to people, it's a long delay where your line isn't building anything, it's a real headache for working out the playfield design, etc.

When Alien was announced, long before I was involved, I posted that I'd love to see hand drawn art myself. Andrew replied that it wasn't in the cards, see reasons above for why that's probably a reasonable answer. I can't really talk about what's going on with it now, but I will say that I'm doing my best to bring something original to the table, and not a copy and paste job. I'll talk about it more once we're free to show things. I appreciate everyone who's been ridiculously supportive of me being on the project, and I'll try to meet the expectations you've set to the best of my ability, within the limits of the project.

I think it's fabulous that the community is rallying behind Zombie Yeti, it does my heart good to see hand drawn art on pinballs championed. If there's anything I can do to further that then believe me, I will. I'm a fan too.

#7424 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Maybe in the aftermarket but they're usually about $30-$50 on the site. I think your estimates are off a bit.
http://mondotees.com/collections/posters

Yeah, $50ish is about right, a little more for some of the variants. They obviously do well, but not quite *that* well. The aftermarket is where it gets nuts, and unfortunately it's kind of ruined the whole thing. There are sniper bots that snatch things up faster than anyone can compete with, and then they're flipped on ebay for those kinds of crazy prices.

Sucks, because the people buying them are just looking to cash out, and the collectors get soaked, and Mondo doesn't even see that money, and neither do the artists. It's soured me quite a bit on the whole thing. I have 4 framed behind me now, and a 5th in a tube still, but I'm probably not going to keep buying now.

#7429 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The posters are for specific film screenings, so there is a definite deadline involved - usually only a couple of months. So the mystery of how they do it but pinball can't continues.

That's only true for some of the posters though. You're right, they do cool Alamo Drafthouse stuff for certain dates, but I think a lot, if not the bulk, of what they do isn't tied to a specific event. Of the 5 I own only one is actually from an event (Army of Darkness).

I imagine they have awesome contacts and connections now, and probably have the whole thing down to about as smooth as such a bitch of a process can get. I'm sure there are still awesome ideas left on the cutting room floor though.

Quoted from jwilson:

Talking to people involved, it turns out that licensing has changed *a lot* since the 90s. They used to get *all* media with a license - video, stills, music, voice talent, everything. But now they need to negotiate each piece separately. Licensing has become a cash cow business, which unfortunately is somewhat "ruining" pinball a bit in that the current players don't have the same freedoms.

This is so true. Want a movie license? Sure, pay this. Oh, you wanted to use a line from the movie? Negotiate that with the actor separately. Oh, you wanted the music from the film? We have a separate subsidiary that handles that you'll have to talk to.

I'm used to working with brands and style guides and all that, plenty of huge companies you've all heard of, but the movie industry is an entirely different beast.

Quoted from jwilson:

nyway, that's all off-topic on Popaduik stealing people's money.

Hey, it's a much more interesting, and positive, conversation! And it's really not that off topic if you think about it, because the whole beauty and allure of John's pitch was freedom from all of that. Original ideas, no corporate chains, pinball free to be pinball.

#7431 8 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I'm fairly certain they don't do reprints

Yeah, no reprints, closed editions, with very few exceptions. Like they did that Superman print as a limited run, but limited to as many pre-orders as they could get.

I imagine they're at the point now where there's a certain prestige in getting a Mondo print of your film. It's less commercial, and more fine art.

Pinball, for better or for worse, is a commercial amusement thing. Not many people see them as we do, or appreciate them as we do. Get your brand on a lunch box, a video game, a pinball, a box of fruit snacks. Not all that different. Maybe with the collector market growth that's shifted a little, but you're still dealing with the same licensing department.

Quoted from zombieyeti:

Second - Licensed art can be a bitch for approvals. A recent example - I'm part of Marvel's official Avengers:AOU show (opens friday in LA at Hero Complex Gallery if anyones in the area) I watched as a LOT of amazing work was killed during the process based on actors management and Marvels. I got thru because I went HULK hahaa (maybe that's why).

Look at this example. We're talking about a company that does comic books. They sure as hell understand hand drawn art. There were like 50 variant covers for the Star Wars comic launch recently. And yet they're shutting down ideas that aren't "on brand" etc. License holders can be very particular and protective.

Jeremy are you going to the opening?

#7436 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

You're not too far from there? I can talk to the folks and see if i can get you to replace me - just call yourself yeti

I'll just put on a zombie mask and wander around clutching a Cintiq Companion, no one will be the wiser!

Quoted from zombieyeti:

I won't be there - I'm coaching my daughters tee ball team and our first game is saturday so I'll be watching 1st graders picking grass while balls roll by them instead

Ha, that's awesome. My younger daughter is in second grade, and I coach her soccer team. Same deal, just a bigger ball.

Quoted from zombieyeti:

As for licensing work - little anecdotal experience - I did some work for lucasfilm and Star Wars 2 years ago and they were very easy to work with - not one revision at all!? I was sweating bullets the whole time and it was smooth sailing - makes a HUGE difference in the creative process to be relaxed as i'm sure you know.

Lucasfilm has a pretty awesome rep for being super open. They've really embraced all the fan films etc and given people a lot of latitude, which seems incredibly smart to me. I think the Disney acquisition is a really good thing for the movies themselves, they know how to put the right smart and passionate people in charge of brands and let them do their thing, it's why the Marvel movies have done so well, but I do worry a bit that their rep for being tolerant of people using their IP isn't nearly as friendly.

#7439 8 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I fear this is just going to fizzle on forever.

I guess the question is what has to happen to stop that? I mean, I think we all know John's out of money now. Not paying Zombie Yeti has to be the final straw for that. Can he keep paying rent on that huge workshop? It's not like he was working out of his basement, there are costs that have to be maintained. The Texas investor seems to have walked, JJP passed (if that was even serious), what's left really?

I just can't see an outside investor coming in, there's no end game there that makes sense as far as ROI. It would have to be a passion project. And that leaves what? Owners banding together? Does anyone feel strongly enough about this to risk more money in trying to buy John out?

I mean, normally the pinball designer is pretty done at this stage. You pass it on to the next people. So in theory you could buy out John, meaning get everything and *not* him along with it, and put together a team to finish the engineering and production hurdles and find a programmer. But it really only works if you either:

a) Just take a bath, pay more for the game then you planned, and get the process going

b) Throw out the limited nature of things and try and get the BOM to a point where you could reasonably put them on the market to recoup the investment.

Both come with some pretty big downsides for the original owners, assuming that such a plan could even be pulled off. Lot of ifs.

I can't see any other option right now, John's simply not gonna get it done. We have to all agree on that by now, right?

#7452 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Ok now you've done it. I just found out about Mondo and I want to buy everything.
Prices seem to be all over the map on eBay and I know my way around the price of a pinball machine but have NO idea what's FUN! style prices and regular prices.
I'd also like to not have the guys who bought an FT and WW for 1000$ and got a BJ on the side pricing.
So, in the below 300$ range let's say, how does it work? I see some stuff if the 75-125$ range, some stuff in the 250-350$... different runs or qualities or...?
(Sorry for participating in the derailment...)

It's gonna be all over the map, but generally speaking figure ballpark $50 for a new one if you got in before it sold out. And we're talking most things selling out within minutes of being announced. You slip on clicking that link from Twitter and forget it.

After that it's just what scalpers are charging, and what you're willing to pay.

There's only one run, no reprints, but often there will be a "variant" print, that's got some alternate colors, or metallic ink, or glow in the dark or whatever. Usually the variant is more limited, and sold for a little more (say $75 instead of $50).

Obviously you'll see people trying to flip those for more. The variant isn't automatically "better", just different. If you're trying to measure value it might hold it better, but no guarantee, and they're all so limited it doesn't really matter much IMHO.

These are the Mondo prints I have behind me right now:

IMG_3107.JPGIMG_3107.JPG

50% pinball rate, I'd love to see 100% of them as pins though!

#7454 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

So basically everything you see for hundreds of bucks was bought for 50-75$?

Basically, yup. High demand, limited production = flipper heaven. If you want it badly enough you pay, otherwise you pass.

I have this one still sitting in a tube, no idea what I'm going to do with it, no wall space left, but I couldn't resist it:

Edmiston_Batgirl_finalpress_1024x1024.jpgEdmiston_Batgirl_finalpress_1024x1024.jpg

#7459 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Aurich if you need a good cleaning person mine does great work

Ha! I'd like to say it's a little cleaner now than when I took that pic, but I won't lie, it's not really that different.

Quoted from rommy:

Should we change the thread title now to all about aurich art ?

More like "all about art", not about me! And really, if you think about it, what else has this thread ever been? What have we even seen besides Zombie Yeti's art? We don't even know what the most basic shots look like. Closest thing to a ball moving on a playfield has been some ancient whitewood video that had the camera fixed on the slingshots, and some dumb video of a ball bouncing around inside a circle.

I hear your frustration, sorry if I contributed to things veering off course, but what else is there to even talk about? Has the private Facebook group ever tried to organize a group showing up to his studio with a video camera and demanding to shoot the ball flipping?

#7463 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Is that a cat or a platypus?

It's a chupacabra.

Quoted from frolic:

How much different would the situation be if there was a Magic Girl playing in the FAST office and video of that was sent out?

I think it would have done a lot to keep things positive, which might have led to money appearing. Either from owners or investors. It's still madness to me that owners haven't seen it flip.

What happened to the people who claimed to have played it at his workshop? They all drained the thread in denial?

#7536 8 years ago

I liked this part:

"But the knowledge and experience it takes to create a physical product--one that often needs to be manufactured overseas--relies on a different set of skills and relationships. Simply put: Entrepreneurship isn't art.

To the uninitiated, manufacturing physical products can be an incredibly tricky business, especially when it comes to contract manufacturing, designing product runs, managing inventory, shipping, logistics, etc."

That felt particularly relevant.

Also:

"It seems obvious now, but 'there's a huge gap between having an idea, and designing a product, and actually manufacturing something.'"

#7559 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Any way, the fact that Heighway pinball will host the next UK pinball party at their place next August is a smart move and very strong positive signal - everyone visiting will be able to check the reality of their factory.

Yeah, I think it's an awesome idea too. Unlikely I'll be able to fly over there for it, I have a lot of travel already scheduled in August in the US, but I really wish I could be there to see what people think in person.

Quoted from zr11990:

Personally, I think it was a stupid idea to create the pin in limited numbers. The more you make the cheaper they are per unit and the more profit you make on each unit. I get that JPoop is an artsy fartsy half crazy dreamer but money is money.

The numbers never made any sense. 100 is generally your minimum point for things scale in a reasonable fashion. And 100 is still very limited.

#7564 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Aurich, what do you do? You are obviously involved in some pinball project. Forgive me for not knowing or if the question is intrusive. You obviously know what you are talking about when it comes to the pinball world and just about everything else.

I'm the creative director for Ars Technica, and I've owned my own design company for the last 12 years, with a career in interactive consulting prior to that. I dunno that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to "everything else", but design-related stuff is my professional field, I'm reasonably informed on those topics.

Pinball is just my hobby, but I'm the creative director and artist for Heighway's upcoming pin based on the Alien movies, so I do have a certain amount of insight into what it takes to build a pin.

I've also been told that I'm an "opinionated bastard".

As far a Jpop goes, I was never in on ordering a machine, not something I was ever interested in, but I happen to know a lot of people who've been involved in one way or another. Pinball is a small community, and if you're involved in doing things for it, mods or whatever, you tend to meet and talk to a lot of like-minded folks. So I've kind of taken John's moves personally in some ways, just in that I hate to see the way he's discarded so many people who've tried to help over the years.

#7570 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

How long has ars been around? I swear I have been reading it since the late 90's.

1998. I've been formally involved since 2003. We were bought by Condé Nast in 2008. That's why I know people at Wired. Spent plenty of time at both the SF and NY offices.

The Wired reporter hasn't decided if he wants to do a Jpop story or not by the way. But it's not dead. Not that it matters much at this stage.

#7595 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ok your right "what's the point" I won't post info in this thread anymore as it has clearly upset you! I will keep any new info on the private owners group.... After all its not like this is the "JPOP update thread"

Just ignore that stuff.

Positive updates are positive updates. We can't whine about not seeing gameplay footage, and then complain when he works to provide it.

It's important to keep perspective, a flipping MG doesn't actually solve anything right now, it's too late for that to be enough. But hey, take what progress you can, why not?

I know I still want to see the video.

#7597 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Me too; who knows maybe things are not as bad as they seem?

Nah, they are. Flipping MG doesn't change anything really. But might as well see the game that we're not getting for the time being, maybe it will help people decide if they want to try and figure out how to save it or not.

#7621 8 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

I hope you are right, and this isn't a failed boutique pre-order flavor of the week. Sounds exciting; when are you supposed to receive your machine?

Nah, Heighway is legit. Games are on the line now, just waiting for a few parts that weren't up to spec. Last I heard shipping was within the next few weeks.

#7630 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

If the lebowski effect still hasn't set in, how about the canadian hobbyist effect?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-pinball-designers-thread#post-2414332

No sh*t, right? A flipping whitewood, what a unicorn!

#7669 8 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

He argues with people for sport, too!

Arguing with the most dangerous game of all – man.

Is pdxmonkey as least posting in the private group? I don't care if just the owners get info, but man, what a case of blue balls. "I played the game that you all paid for and are dying to get even a crumb of info about. See you guys later."

#7678 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

For all we know his real motivation for getting Magic Girl hobbled together is he is still holding out for that WIRED visit.

Gah, I hope not. Writer hasn't even decided whether or not he's doing the story. It's definitely not a big priority for him, I can tell you that after chatting with him. And fair enough, pinball isn't exactly a huge traffic generator, and there's a lot of work on this one to unpack it if he really feels like covering it.

#7692 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

This is very similar to the few people who supported skitb until the very end. They were fed mis-information and willing to go to the wall defending it. I would suggest not to believe reports of progress until you can see it with your own eyes.

Agreed. Video or bust! What's the hold up? Takes minutes to upload a YouTube. I could take a video of writing this post and follow up with another one in 5 minutes showing me writing it.

#7699 8 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

Ha, indeed, "competing" probably is a bad fit, but "has a vested interest in seeing Zidware crash and burn" seems a little wordy.

I don't see how that's true. Frankly even if John's company was doing well he's honestly not competition for anyone else. People who are paying $10k-17k for highly limited games? Just not really affecting the market that much.

#7703 8 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

That's $17K that could have been spent on (several) Spooky or Heighway pins. It's not like that money is intractably glued together, and can't be split up : P

Eh, a handful of people who have really large pinball budgets? I don't consider anything John is doing competition for Alien or Full Throttle (AMH is sold out). And that's being generous and pretending he's actually "doing" games, like they're still going to ship, which feels pretty unlikely.

If you're in on any of these games you're pretty much an "elite" collector, and can probably pick up any machine you feel like.

#7712 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

In my case the $$$ lost on Predator are $ I would have spent on another pin.

Predator for sure. That's a real shame, and I hope you get your money back, or at least some/most of it.

Nothing to be gained by arguing abut it though really. I'm going to focus on making Alien as compelling as I can for anyone who's interested in a real game, that will ship. When we can show things, we will. No years of secrets. And if you don't want to pre-order I'm happy to try and earn your business the traditional way.

In that sense I don't see companies like Heighway and Spooky competing.

#7738 8 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

What nonsense! You're speaking like you know all of the folks who placed pre-order money with JPOP. Every pinball dollar wasted with Zidware is money I won't have to buy something else. Look man, if you don't know, don't talk. Guess I'm an "elite collector." I should tell my wife that I can now pick up any game I like cuz I'm an elite collector now that I've been f&(!ed by JPOP.

I am of course generalizing. And I didn't mean to imply that losing money on this venture wouldn't sting. That sucks. I guess I just see people who were up for paying $17,000 for a super limited pinball that might takes years to make as being people who were pretty immune to standard market logic.

But I guess money is money, you're right, and so is anyone else. Money sent to Jpop is money that could have gone to other games. I guess I just don't really see Zidware as real competition for the players with factories who think about games by the thousands, instead of by the tens.

#7740 8 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

I guess your point about the big guys not being competitors to the small guys stands, because of the volume differences, but anytime someone removes a million bucks from the hobby it is a pretty big deal. Lots of other companies could have thrived with that money, even the big players.

Yeah, that's true. And you're right, not everyone is already in for $17k or whatever, that's a small %. I concede the point, pinball money is pinball money.

#7773 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

No way is his salary $150,000/year the money won't last at that rate, plus another $100,000 for code etc...

That's kind of the point, the money hasn't lasted, it's gone.

#7835 8 years ago

So what happened to the video? Supposedly there were multiple pinsiders there, right?

We know pdxmonkey doesn't want to participate in this thread, who else was there?

I don't get why it would even be mentioned in public if no one actually has any intention of posting a video, let alone describing what they saw.

#7840 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

A game for goodness sake.

So true. As we like to say, but often forget, it's just pinball.

The money is real! But this idea that the game has to be perfect is just silly.

Look at ACDC. One of the most beloved and best selling games of the modern era. It's unlovely to put it kindly, and full of clunk. And yet, people just love it. Because despite the warts it's awesome. You don't care that the cannon blocks the view of the inlane when you're stacking the shit out of that jackpot.

At a certain point you need to not worry about the damn hinges and just make something you can play. You don't fold the game up and down every day, you want to flip a ball.

John is like the picture of "don't let perfect be the enemy of good".

#7849 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Since the Big Lewbowski only sold 200 units, and that is a very popular theme, I have difficulty believing that MG could possibly sell 1000 games.

Never gonna happen. It's just too much money. How low would it be priced? It's what? $16-17k now? Even if you slash that price to $10k it's still crazy expensive.

I was in on the TBL pre-order. I bailed before the drama. I won't be getting back in, as much as I think it's an awesome game, because I just can't stomach the price. I could afford it if I wanted it, but can't justify the expense. There's a limited number of people willing to pay that much for a game.

#7905 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

When did TBL go to $10k??

That's final shipped price for all intents and purposes.

#7909 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not sure there has ever been a case where a theme brought in any significant number of sales from anyone that was not already a pinball enthusiast. I recently talked with an industry insider on this subject and I got the impression that while there have been a few cases over time where they thought that would be the case, it just did not materialize. Not saying there won't be any, but would be insignificant, even in a small run.

This is just a funny anecdote, but the person you're talking with happens to be someone who's a big Metallica fan and bought his first pin because he was a fan of the band.

And it seems like the Metallica fan club did actually move a decent amount of units. What does that mean though? Is 100 people buying their first pin a significant number?

#7930 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's official then: there is a zero percent chance of me owning a NIB TBL.

Yeah, once I dropped out of the pre-order the chances of me owning one plummeted, the price just got too high.

#7966 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think the desire to save him is fueled that we do see hints of greatness with these games.

The thing is, what are the hints? Zombie Yeti artwork, and ... how many people have actually seen the game flip? Apparently a few Pinsiders, but they don't feel like sharing any impressions, let alone this mythical video.

Seriously, what do we have besides art? I'll help a group commission some original ZY prints if that's all you're looking for.

#7971 8 years ago

This idea that John is secretly sitting on a finished games and just not showing them makes zero sense. He's desperate, there's nothing to be gained by trying to spring a surprise on people.

Quoted from lllvjr:

What's stopping people from posting video or pictures at this point? Just curious

Absolutely nothing.

#8007 8 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Its all hypothetical but for him coding the machine even for free would have been a win. It would be a great way to show what they can do. Street cred would be high.

That would be Mission, not FAST.

Either way, it's way too much work for anyone to be expected to do it for free.

Spending a weekend getting a game flipping for free is one thing, spending months of your life working with John is another.

#8040 8 years ago

Or just show up as a group, kick the door in, and load everything you paid for onto a flatbed truck.

Totally suggesting you guys do this*.

*Not really. But you have to admit, it might be the only way anyone will see anything.

#8070 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I was too busy being an idiot supporter and losing beer bets to RD instead of cracking down

Not to be too much of a giant cock (this is a little cockish though, I admit it) I do think it's funny that a couple years ago I would get 30 downvotes for saying something about how the Jpop stuff didn't feel right to me. Then fast forward two years, I say the exact same things, and I get 30 upvotes.

It's hard when you're caught up in the excitement to see the context. I experience that myself for a brief period with TBL.

After Jpop, after Predator, I just think we should be better about not trying to shout down skeptics. Sure, some of them are jerks and trolls. But look past that and try and look at the arguments, some people might be pointing out uncomfortable truths.

#8104 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The picture posted previously of the fake town seems very apt.

Ooh, you found a much better photo than I did though!

#8314 8 years ago

Terry is dead on about the production number making zero sense, lots of us have said that, but it's great to see some real world figures from someone with experience to give that notion context. Thanks for taking the time to break that down.

#8360 8 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

There is a game.

Okay, I'll bite. What do you consider "a game" specifically? Maybe you just have a different definition than the rest of us.

#8395 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Congratulations John, you have now displaced Skit-B as the #1 thread on Pinside. You are #1. Here's a tip, you don't want to be #1 on this list.

Man, I drained the Predator thread when it became nothing but pages of people arguing about the definition of "scam", sad that it's still going.

#8416 8 years ago

The last time someone showed up in this thread promising that things were gonna be awesome and just be patient, not only was he full of shit, he ended up banned from the thread (twice).

Either show some hard proof, or just keep it to yourself, no one wants to hear vague platitudes and reassurances.

#8441 8 years ago

To me the JPop games are like my Scared Stiff. Fun to own, great to look at, really nice packages, but not really big on deep play. If you own enough games or are a really casual player then they work out just fine. In a smaller collection it can be tough, because they don't really provide enough challenge.

Sure, you can skip wishing away jewels, but that kind of thing gets old when you play it a lot, you don't want to feel like you're avoiding playing the game the way it's offering things to you.

#8485 8 years ago

Yeah, it's a simple math problem.

Games Spooky has designed, built, and shipped: 1

Game Zidware has designed, built, and shipped: 0

Spooky will have game 2 out, and Zidware will still be sitting at 0.

#8493 8 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

This post on The Magic Girl Pinball Blog is a little more descriptive...

lol, the comments. Half people kissing his ass, the other half trying to sell their spots to get out ...

#8502 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Holy moly time flies.....

No shit. I'm not ready to be thinking about Expo yet!

#8522 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

OT is Penn and Teller a great show to see? Is it OK for teenagers?

My wife took me to see them live for my birthday once, we really enjoyed it. They're truly top showmen, and real artists of their craft.

#8690 8 years ago

John may not have even worried about that stuff. The warranty is only good for keeping the game locked in your basement right? No location play allowed. So rare ball hangups mean you just pop the glass. Nothing stuck for a week until a tech maybe swings by.

#8703 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

How does one order replacement glass for this custom size?

Same way you order any glass? Just tell them the size you want cut.

#8712 8 years ago
Quoted from RomstarArkanoid:

Glass is easy to order by the way, and custom orders in quantity deliver in a few weeks.

When I need glass I make a phone call or send an email, then I drive over to the shop and pick it up later that day. Pretty sure most cities have a glass shop. I could pick from 5 that are all minutes away personally.

Now I'm hearing that one of the MG buyers paid for the aluminum ramp tooling. If John is that broke I'm surprised he can keep the lights on. Probably just making a desperate push to get something shown.

#8717 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

not always so easy to do with tempered glass. In my experience with a wide body EM with non-standard glass, was that the custom piece of tempered glass was a lot more expensive then ordering from Terry and as others have mentioned 'no invisiglass for you'.

PDI/Invisglass might be a problem. I don't find buying glass locally to be a problem though for tempered glass. Maybe it's slightly more expensive, but there's no shipping, and you can pick it up same day.

For something that you hopefully buy once and forget about it doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. At least not compared to all the other issues he has. I presume the game is just way steeper at the glass to accommodate the LCD screen in the back?

#8724 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

John mentioned it's going to take "about two weeks" for his tempered glass order.

Right, that's what I'm shaking my head over, it's ridiculous. I could make a call now and go pick up my glass today. Done it before, it's easy. Tempered, custom size, no problem.

Quoted from epthegeek:

I love how in the video where he yaps about how he's got to get custom glass for the cabinets he's known the dimensions of for years ... he's using a mostly blank print-test playfield with a few bits bolted on to it and he STILL tries as hard as he can to not show you anything on it.
Crazy.

Yeah, it's total bullshit. He's obviously never actually had anything done, and is scrambling now, maybe to try and show an investor since he's clearly flat broke too.

He's talking about how lucky he is to not be hitting the shooter rod with the glass! That's not supposed to be luck, that's called basic design. And why is the shooter rod so high anyway? Doesn't it look like it's going to just fly over the ball? So weird.

#8754 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Sounds like he's making progress, he's going out west soon!

Yes, he discovered his glass doesn't hit the shooter rod!

#8790 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd love to know their reasons for taking a pass.

Pinside said mean things.

#8792 8 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

I don't believe it has been confirmed.

Pretty sure it is. Investor was in Texas, so is that account, and if you go back in the thread that's the same account that was sending cryptic messages to Kim, which in context look like investment related.

#8800 8 years ago

If you're an angel looking for a high risk / high return investment I can't see this being it. The high risk part is there, but the other half is missing.

#8811 8 years ago

I like the attention to detail. It's fun. I don't agree with all his choices, but whatever.

It's just that it's crazy to me that he's spending all this time and effort on shit like the way the back of the cabinet looks, and he has no actual game. Sticker on the back of the cabinet? Check! Figure out how to fit glass? Not so much ...

#8888 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The swirly return ramps on both sides are too much.

All I can think of when I see both the wiggle ramps and that big long, steep spiral is "wow, this is going to play slow".

#8985 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Wouldn't it be amazing if someone put a CCC amount of work into a TOM code re-write, and it was an approved release with a FAST WPC 2.0 brain swap?

Only if it includes a FAST daughterboard controlled liger toy.

#8999 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Not really.... he's in the same early stage of production Nordman's talking about.

You don't get to be in the "early stage of production" for 3+ years.

#9002 8 years ago

I thought of John when I saw this.

strive-for-progress.pngstrive-for-progress.png

#9155 8 years ago

Gonna be interesting in here for a bit ...

#9330 8 years ago

I thought this bit was interesting (hat tip Nate!) in the actual order letter, not the first letter:

"Yes, I would like to convert my order(s) for RAZA and/or AIW to a Magic GirlTM–Classic, at a price range of (USD $9,995 to $11,995). My deposit(s) to Zidware will be converted 1:2 into a Magic GirlTM–Classic."

Note the 1:2 part. Looks like they were hoping to incentivize RAZA and AIW buyers into buying the "cheaper" MG by doubling their money.

Look, I get that people are mad, and this is a weird deal. Lot of unknowns. And obviously the "no sue" stuff isn't gonna make people feel good.

I just wonder, taking emotion out of this for a moment (easy for me to say) – what's the end game?

Because let's say everyone says FU to this deal (it's feeling that way now), then what? John is broke. It's not a rumor, he has no money. What exactly are people hoping to do? Pierce the veil and try and get him and his wife to sell their house and assets or something? It just feels like the possibility of actually getting your money back is really low.

Throwing more money at this probably isn't an awesome idea either, granted, but isn't this kind of what people wanted? Someone to step in, be the big business man, and shove John aside, and take over?

#9364 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The other way around. 2 RAZA dollars get you one MG dollar.

Holy shit. F********************K THAT. Wow.

#9373 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's right in the letter:

Clear as day.

I missed that. That's effing crazy. I thought it was maybe interesting, but now I think it's insane.

#9375 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

As a nerd, this is actually backwards..
1:2 means that $6,500 deposit = $13,000 credits.
1/2 = 6500 / 13000
2/1 would mean 6500 / 3250.
That line reads '..will be converted one to two..'.
So technically, any lawyer could find a big hole in that 'agreement' letter. (Assuming any of the rest of it is enforceable..)
--Me.

Yeah, agreed, that's why I read it that way too.

#9405 8 years ago

This video is all I can think of now:

#9541 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If the hard copy sent to you for signing is hand printed on a table napkin, I will not be surprised.

I don't think that part has been in this thread yet, just quoted. This is it if anyone cares:

Order-Confirm.pdfOrder-Confirm.pdf

Forum embed treats white as transparent over a black background, so you have to click to read it.

#9545 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Judge this when all the facts are out

How the F is someone supposed to do that when this little gem is in the document?

"Completed Certifications must be received by June 1, 2015."

When exactly are the rest of the facts going to appear?

#10030 8 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

This thread has been a growing list of vendors that have not been paid or been paid very little. Some folks have been donating their time and effort as well. Where did all the money go? Seriously.

I bet the bulk of it went into expensive machinery. You can spend a lot on those kinds of toys. CNC etc.

#10568 8 years ago

As someone who's been long critical of this whole process, from the beginning, I sincerely wish everyone who bought into it a happy outcome. I don't know that Pintasia can supply it, and I think it's probably wise to wait a bit to even really consider it. Emotions are running high (understandably) and there are a lot of questions still to be answered.

I think we can all agree that it makes no sense for anyone to be a charity. No third party is going to step up, refund all your money, and say "sorry this sucked, have some cash, we're just here to make you feel better".

You took a risk, and you're getting burned. That's just the reality.

If there's someone willing to put their time and money on the line to try and help out, well, maybe it's at least worth hearing them out and giving it a little thought. Obviously they want to make a profit here. I wouldn't trust anyone who pretended otherwise. Frankly they deserve to if they pull this off.

The flip side is all the good intentions in the world don't make a pinball magically appear.

My personal take? The best revenge would be people getting their games, and John being left out in the cold during the whole process. If you want to sue him go for it. I wouldn't try and talk you out of it. But maybe there's something more here than just burning the house down. Maybe there isn't. A Q&A session with Pintasia would be a great next step.

#10594 8 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Bill, Pintasia, whoever... Send me a personal email showing astatement of my account; including my name, production # and all moneys paid to Zidware and maybe then I would consider this a bonafide operation with half a leg to stand on. This is not an attack on the licensees, simply a request for some sort of proof that you're not in the dark in all this. Having access to zidware's books seems to be step 1 if you're serious about this venture. Canvassing the mailing list and asking for people to verify information such as payments seems like you're stil very much in the dark here.

Dead on. Because can someone explain to me how they're supposed to verify the "proof" you send them? It's trivial to spoof a Paypal email. If they can't look you up on their side to verify the veracity of what you're showing then what's the point?

At the very, very least, it's relatively trivial to cross reference the user list (surely that at least exists) against all the records in Paypal. I pay taxes every year on my Paypal income, I've very familiar with the tools they give you. It's easy to export all the data into a spreadsheet and start parsing it.

What if they started with sending each owner a personal email that said "We have your in our customer list, we see that you've paid $X,XXX through Paypal, we're trying to work through other records still, but if you have any records of your own that would be helpful.

We do not intend for you to sign anything until we both are satisfied that every dime of your money has been accounted for."

Nothing could proceed until they were able to do that with everyone.

And frankly, I think they should post the total publicly when they're done. So that the owners feel there are no more secrets. An anti-NDA.

#10598 8 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

John didn't accept PayPal payments to the best of my knowledge. He tried at first but had problems.
I assume most payments were done by drafts, money orders, cheques etc...
I kept carbon copies of all payments sent and one was a wire transfer. I'd have to get my bank to dig it up and print a copy.

Earlier in the thread people claimed to have had John ask for PayPal payments. Other than that I have no idea.

#10849 8 years ago

I'm working on Alien today. Just saying.

#10971 8 years ago

I really only have one question, and it's a serious one:

Who wants John to be at the NW show with the pin? Just curious does anyone think he should be there?

Bill, are you inviting him? That's the impression I have, I could be wrong.

#11196 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Since we're getting a flood of info, it's time to ask:
How does it shoot?

It's funny how this thread has over 11,000 posts, and really no one has even spent a moment speculating about the rules. How the game will shoot. Anything that's the actual "pinball" part.

It sort of tells the whole story really.

I guess we'll find out soon enough either way.

#11208 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Well, I've gone on record that I'm not a huge fan of Jpop's games, but I won't dispute that he was considered one of the best. My favorite game of his is WCS, probably because it's a bit more challenging than the rest of his stuff, but there's no denying that he made the best looking games ever. Yes, he put out some games with shallow and simple rules, but if you had a gun to your head and you needed to provide a pinball machine that was going to impress someone you didn't know, I would bet that TOTAN or ToM would be on your shortlist of options.

Your favorite game of his was the one that had to be finished by other people. The other games you mentioned were also team efforts, including the fact that he didn't do the art.

No need to drag him down, but also no reason to put him on a pedestal. Steve Ritchie and Lyman Sheats can have pinball god status if there's such a thing, John doesn't get to hang out on their level.

#11223 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

That's how Skit-B went down. Earlier on people did discuss features and gameplay. As the project began tipping tipping tipping NOSEDIVE people stopped talking about whether or not it would be any good in favor of whether or not it would even get made.

Yeah, but I've actually played Predator. I knew how it played (not that great IMHO). There wasn't any mystery there. Before Kevin vanished he talked plenty about the rules. There was a *game* for all the bullshit.

Magic Girl has what? Some wiggly ramps, Jeremy's art, and what else? Is anyone actually thinking about the game part?

#11234 8 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

The trouble is that with licensed themes it will be tough to get them to agree to zombieyeti's work.

Yup. There was that weird troll thread about getting Jeremy to do the art for Alien. Would have been a non starter, hand drawn art isn't an option there. That's going to be the case for most movie and TV licenses I think.

Band pins are one of the last vestiges of hand drawn licensed games.

#11273 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Edit: and the reason I say Hobbit is in trouble is that a major license like that might pull the plug just because they don't want to be affiliated.

The lawsuit is old news already, I doubt that's going to happen.

#11334 8 years ago

This thread has turned so bizarre. I don't know if Bill can pull off this magic trick. I don't know that it's even worth trying frankly.

But good lord, look at this. Progress! Admit it, if a year ago someone had stepped in and Got Shit Done™ like this you'd be cheering in the streets.

#11447 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I guess you missed this post of mine??? Seeing the game in playable demo will be excellent if the new team can pull it off. I hope they succeed and I get credit (and settled up ) for what i put into these projects.

I was just trying to say that we're not actually discussing the "game". All these thousands of posts and there's not even speculation on the shots or what it will play like. Just kind of a sad indication of where things stand is all I was getting at.

I think it's terrible that you haven't been paid for your work. This whole time we've been saying "who's programming this?" and you've had to sit there silent. Glad you finally spoke up, and you deserve to be made whole for sure.

#11484 8 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

Is it ? I am being serious. Lets say I start a legit company. I ask money for a game that will be delivered in 2 years. Lets assume I raise 2 million. I get a big office, pay myself a reasonable salary (80k a year) and hire a bunch of expensive programmers. 1 year later the game has completely failed and there is 0 money left. Was is left to show is a few million lines of codes and an alpha state game.
Did I scam people or just had a poor business plan to start with ? What would be criminal of failing a business ? I am not trying to defend JPOP in anyway, but wasn't this mess a failure from the start ?

Happens all the time. Kickstarters fail like that on a daily basis. People funded a startup that wasn't successful, they didn't order games.

#11552 8 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I mean, Wizard Blocks is in the archive too...

Yeah, but unlike Magic Girl I've played Wizard Blocks. It's more real with a whitewood playfield than anything Zidware has done so far.

#11651 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

There is a certain place in hell for people who make a post quoting 1204 words from a previous post.

The Pinside beta already fixes that, so don't worry, that will be addressed soon I would think.

#11939 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Bill Brandes is the only hope these guys have to see a Jpop pinball game, and as long as they haven't asked for money from the preorder/owners you need to cool it with the conspiracy theories.

I keep hearing this "they haven't asked for money" thing. And it's true, not yet. But they did ask people to sign a legal document giving up their right to sue. That's not nothing. I think it's more than fair to ask questions.

#12048 8 years ago

On the topic of Sabrina:

Quoted from wcbrandes:

again one more time she is not a shareholder I am 100%. If i pay her to get things done which she does she has 0 control over anything I do.

Quoted from wcbrandes:

She has no control over anything in this company she is paid to do the work I have no time doing. She will never have authority to touch a thing I would never let this happen in any of my companies or business'

That sounds fair enough to me. She's not in control of things. Cool. I don't think anyone should be panicking about her.

However, you're just never going to lose this cloud if you don't address it. Either demonstrate that she's not the same Sabrina, or maybe distance yourself. The allegations may not even be true, but just having someone like that associated with your enterprise given the Zidware situation is going to be toxic. Not worth it to keep reading the word "ponzi". Tell her it's nothing personal, just for the best to increase the chances of success of a tricky venture.

On the subject of the Pintasia account:

Quoted from wcbrandes:

a friend who I kindly asked not too as you all know why. He was just upset reading all this accusations etc. Some don't have thick skin

Can you please clarify who the Pintasia account is? Are you saying it's your friend, and not the official company account? Should we not take anything from that account as speaking with authority?

Or are you saying that a friend of yours either has the password or sat down at your computer with your Pintasia account logged in and wrote things without your permission? And that the rest of the Pintasia posts are real? Or only some of them?

Quoted from wcbrandes:

if have to wait for bankruptcy I will and I will be on the list to collect pennies like the rest. I also can just buy the IP for a song unless Stern or JJP or another reputable manufacturer wanted to take it. If they did I would bid it up and make them pay to get as much as possible back to all us creditors. This is an option however I felt no the best.

This is absolutely true. Personally I think you're crazy to try and do it the way you're doing it, but if you can actually pull of making everyone whole, it's gotta be better than everything running into the courts and dragging on who knows how long for whatever spare change is left.

This whole thing is a f***ing mess. I can't see the harm in giving Bill a chance to at least show the game, and make his pitch.

More clarity would be good. But there's time for it. At least waiting for the NW show seem fair. I think it's even fair to remind everyone if too much time goes by. But repeatedly beating the drums isn't gonna help anyone. The buyers are all adults, they can see the reality of this as well as anyone. Let them make their own decisions.

#12207 8 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I realize this is still very much WIP... but was that score going to be in your face for most of the game (barring a couple animations here and there)? ... that'd be a complete waist of a screen if it was...
For 16k, I'd expect video detal similar in quality to the background of Carl's stage (Ignore the fighting, just watch the background animations)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ijW7hMlPbE0#t=79

You were never going to get that. It's why the whole plan was asinine from the very beginning. Yes, the game is $16k. But it's so limited (or was at least, who the hell knows now) that there was simply no way to amortize the kind of costs that level of animation would require.

That goes double for an unlicensed game, where every single asset has to be created from scratch. There's no leaning on movie clips or even existing characters and scenery for motion graphics.

You're talking about an enormous time output, and realistically by at least a small staff. That costs. No way around that.

Everything we've seen so far is 90s CD-ROM kinds of animations. Tricks applied over still frames. I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Not sure it really matters, it's not at all clear how much of that display you can actually see through all the ramps and plastics. I guess we'll find out at the NW show.

#12243 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I can confirm asset creation was not a costly endeavor for these projects... At least from me

Yeah well, you already know my thoughts on that part going forward.

Quoted from Linolium:

Not a whole lot more frankly. And it's worth every penny. Quality products are worth more long term then quick products short term.

Well it depends on what "not a whole lot more" means. In the grand scheme of things? Sure, there are lots of options. But what exactly are you talking about here? Every screen has to be created from scratch. There are zero assets to fall back on. You can do parallax scrolling and other "motion comic" style tricks with 2D art, but you still have to generate all that art before you can even start animating.

Face it, the budget for these games never added up. They were so expensive you expected awesome quality, but the quantity was never there for a real budget to appear to create all that stuff.

If Alien doesn't sell 1000 games I'm going to personally consider it a failure. Both as a game and as something that compensates my tine. And frankly at 1000 I'm paying myself a shit rate. We're talking what? 40 games after he raised the limit? The math doesn't work. All there is to it.

200 games maybe. But the $16k no longer makes any sense (if it ever did) for that kind of quantity. That's a more common game than America's Most Haunted at that point.

#12264 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

zombieyeti > do you have a website?

You'll never guess the URL: http://www.zombieyeti.com

#12285 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I'm just a geeky guy

That's why you're an Ars Technica reader, we wouldn't have it any other way.

#12752 8 years ago

If you PM me something in confidence then I'll never post your PM here. That's really bad form. If you send me something like this though, I'm gonna post it, because I want to laugh at you, and you deserve it.

#12757 8 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Haha!
Wish i was in redondo right now...breakfast at the cozy...hit the strand,,maybe bike to hermosa...do a little rc truck bashing in the sand...eat lunch...nap . GAH! I want to go back!

After your nap stop by my place for some pinball ...

#13001 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

And I SWEAR I won't interfere or try to sell my wares any further here

Well that sucks, take that back!

#13050 8 years ago

I roll my eyes like this every time another stupid Hitler video is posted. So tired. So dumb. Fine, Ben, I'll watch your dumb video.

I 'd a lot. So dead on. Hats off to your sir for proving there is still life is that bloated corpse.

#13242 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

(Guys....is he the hairy dude in the picture? i don't know who that is?)

No, that's AceJedi. Good guy.

#13275 8 years ago

Is the game any fun? Is the screen blocked too much by the ramps?

That's what I care about. But I'm just a bystander. IMHO if you're not an owner then calm down. There's no reason to be screaming at anyone. Especially not volunteers.

We're all going to see the game finally. Just let it happen.

#13340 8 years ago

I'm going to put it more delicately than Ben, but what's up with the colored GI? And is the backbox RGB that just happens to be constantly on purple or is that color of the strips?

Why would you take Jeremy's work, blow out all the contrast in the name of constant oversaturation, and then compound that by killing any chance of the details appearing by washing it out all out with colored lights? Not hard to fix the GI, I'd like to know more about the backbox lighting though. Would look so much better with cool white lighting letting the art speak for itself.

#13346 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

The cabinet art is a whole other kettle of fish though. Doesn't jive with the playfield or backglass at all. If it didn't say "Magic Girl" on it I would think it was for a completely different game...

Well remember it was done by an entirely different artist.

#13348 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Owe me a Coke.

If I'm in the store and see one that says "Share a coke with a goat" I'll grab it for you.

#13355 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

This is why everybody does custom LEDs anyway. Everybody likes something different.

Sure. And if you want to clown puke your game go for it. But established pinball people shouldn't be doing it, because it's a shitty practice that ruins artwork. If your backglass has lots of purple in it the answer isn't to light it all up with purple LEDs. That murders contrast, which sounds like a battle Jeremy has already had with John.

There are opinions about lots of things, and no one is right. But there are also objective facts, and one of them is that colored light distorts and blows out artwork.

#13366 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Bottom line - the LED in the BB and the lighting GI on the PF are not final.

Got it. It's so hard to know what's "real" from the notes you're following, and what people are winging to try and get it out the door. Which I understand was a feat.

#13385 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm sure Cointaker will be thrilled to help out.....

"Right, let's see, a couple white LED strips, 15 white 44s, you needed a few white 555s ... give me a moment, let me add that up. Okay, your total is $7,000."

#13486 8 years ago

Heh, come a long way from sharing iPhone pics of the game at Arcade Expo, right Joe?

#13497 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I heard Capcom was 60 million in the hole.

Yeah, Python can't be the real reason. It would have been cool if they'd put out Big Bang Bar instead of Flipper Football, but it wouldn't have changed anything really. It was just poor timing on their part to try and break in as pinball was dying back. It's too bad, lots of smart ideas.

#13533 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I went through the math in a post a few days ago - it takes 149 games or so for Bill to break even.

Does anyone really think there are 149 people who are going to pay $16k for this game? I watched the video, it really wasn't enough to make any judgement, but let's just assume it's a cool pin. We're still talking sixteen thousand dollars, for something that's less limited than America's Most Haunted, which is ten thousand dollars less. The numbers just aren't there.

#13537 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

If it was the the same price as RAZA ($9995) and shoots good with under 200 production I think the would sell... JMHO

Agreed, that's roughly TBL price territory, and not really that far off from MMR.

But there's a huge gap between between $16k and $10k. Changes the math significantly.

#13585 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Yes the flipper coils are weak, on purpose. You don't want strong flippers bashing and breaking things

Every time I see this sorry excuse trotted out at a show I just shake my head.

First of all, if your game is so badly designed that normal strength flippers that can make the shots as they're meant to are going to break your game over the course of a weekend then the game is badly done. I get that it's a prototype, never the less, this is pinball. You're hurtling a 1 1/16" steel ball around inside it, it's gotta deal with that fact, or it's useless.

Secondly, this is your one chance to wow people. So really? Turn the flippers down and don't bother to level and pitch the pin for the video you know everyone is going to scrutinize? It makes no sense.

Risk chipping a plastic guys, this is your moment to show the game. You're not going to get another like this. Set the pitch right, turn the flippers up right, and let it play or not, as the case may be. Otherwise all this effort to get it there was wasted.

#13637 8 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Perfectly placed/ sized LCD. Stern / JJP please follow suit!

Really? Because every shot I've seen so far has the ramps blocking part of the screen. The scoring seems to be put into a "virtual DMD" in the center to alleviate that.

That includes the one above. But I'd love to hear first hand reports on it.

#13640 8 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Does it matter though? The area around the "dmd" portion of the lcd is window dressing isn't it?

No clue. I can tell you that I plan on using the entire LCD screen for Alien though. Not some fancy frame around a fake DMD. It's great to be able to have the space available for information.

For instance, what happens when you start a 4 player game on this? Does it show you everyone's scores?

#13644 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

The only time it's on the way is in test modes for the very bottom but even then it's not annoying. Gameplay with it is great so far. Easy to see and perfect level during gameplay

Awesome, well that's at least good to hear.

#13648 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Holy terrible glass glare, Batman!

Just put some invisigla ... oh.

#13696 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

Although the display is obscured by the main ramp, the main scoring seems to be centered and bordered so that it is just above the ramp while playing.
Watch "Magic Girl player"s perspective" on YouTube
» YouTube video

Hmm, it's not a big deal I guess, but when I see stuff like the "Charge the coils" text being obscured by the ramps it irritates me. I'm playing pinball, I need to be able to read things easily and quickly. This is something that the move from DMD to LCD is going to have to watch out for.

Quoted from Manic:

I think everybody will be overwhelmed just seeing actual "pinball art" for the first time in 15 years.

I think Jeremy does great work. But come one, first time in 15 years? It's not like it's the first hand drawn game to appear in that time period. Hell, even Stern is shipping their second such game in the past couple years right now. So let's not overdo that aspect of it.

#13707 8 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I was drawing a blank after WMS closed their doors. I know there is TSPP and the Melon's as examples but if there are many more they must not have made much of an impression or I missed it.

Well let's see, off the top of my head there's TSPP, Family Guy, X-Men, Woah Nellie, Metallica, and Kiss just from Stern.

The Big Lebowski has really great hand drawn art. AMH is hand drawn. We can skip Predator I guess, but that was hand drawn. Same with WOOLY. WOOLY has more chance of shipping than anything from Zidware frankly.

Are all those games the pinnacle of perfection in the drawing department? No. But it's not like this is the first game in 15 years that someone drew the art for or anything, that's all I'm saying.

#13709 8 years ago

I'm a skeptic here. I see a lot wrong, and I see a lot down the road that makes these really unlikely to ever be built. I've frankly never believed in this project from the beginning.

But I don't want to just be a negative whiner here. Hats off to everyone who busted their humps to get this game in revealable prototype fashion. pdxmonkey especially. He might have been a cheerleader in this thread, but the guy put his energy where his mouth was and made sure this game got where it needed to be. That was some serious driving.

Thank you to everyone posting videos, or hands on impressions. We're living vicariously through you, and it's appreciated.

And extra big thanks to everyone who worked on this in silence, stuck in unappreciated limbo by John. We wouldn't be seeing this if it wasn't for your contributions, and if you haven't been paid for all of them it's a crime.

As much as I think this is just a glimpse of something that will never be, if by some miracle the stars align I wish everyone luck. I'd love to see the games get made, my cynicism doesn't stem from any desire to see them fail, just my realistic assessment of the situation.

#13734 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I am a bit confused at to why there was a rush to get this game to this show. As it sits it seems pretty unimpressive, outside of the art, and it seems that time spent properly making it work would have better leant itself to promoting the game to potential buyers.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but there's a line to try and sue John out of existence, the time to strike was now or never. Will it happen? I personally doubt it. But there was no more time to be had, one way or another. It was too late a year ago frankly.

Quoted from TravisRT1985:

I don't really understand why the photos and game play are getting thumbed up.

Is it the fault of the people taking the time to share the game with us that things are boned? Of course they're getting thumbs up, we appreciate their efforts.

#13742 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

That line was going to exist if the game made this show or not.

Agreed yes. Getting the game to the show won't stop any lawsuits. But any chance of trying to pull off this plan (which for the record I think will not work) was going to vanish with any more delays. The patience has been long spent.

#13757 8 years ago
Quoted from TravisRT1985:

you wanna commend the guys for working on this game and bringing it to this show that's fine. This whole scenario just doesn't sit well with me. Too much money was stolen and not one pinsider will end up with this game in their game room. That pretty much sums it up.

Okay. What does that have to do with thumbs up to people posting videos?

#13783 8 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Yes, the majority of us are confused as to why this was done.

Huh? It's obvious why they did it. We were clambering for a reveal. So they finished it up to an alpha prototype as fast as they could to get it to a show so people could see it.

That's not the problem here. This is exactly what people were asking for years ago. It's not Pintasia's fault John is a screwup and basically abandoned the game to go play with other ones, in some kind of cascading intention to never finish shit. So yeah, the proto is rough after 4 years. We all still wanted to see it.

If you're in this thread, and you claim you weren't curious to see Magic Girl flipping, in any format, then I don't believe you.

#13836 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That playfield cover is REALLY impacting ball movement. You can see it flex and the ball change direction.

Agreed, I was noticing that too. Maybe it was the right call to install it rather than show bare wood, people wanted to see the package, but I wouldn't judge the way it shoots too harshly, it's obviously nothing like a "final" playfield will play.

#13853 8 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I don't think Theatre of Magic has a center post like that... I don't really understand the reference, honestly.

Theatre of Magic originally was going to have that post. It got taken out before the game went to production, so he's making a reference to bringing it back. I think the text is dumb and should get axed, feels like whining to me.

Here's a look at what the post was going to look like: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-prototype-tom

Edit: I can see I was too slow!

#13856 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

I really expected more footage and pictures of magic girl..just a bunch of horrible iphone movies,come on guys really?
I live in europe , hard to attend this show for me,but as this thread is 278 pages,i assumed you would all be posting sharp stuff?

Seriously guys. Where are the RED One 4k videos, with controlled lighting and boom mics? And is it really too much to ask to have David Attenborough narrate the footage? So very disappointed in you all.

#13887 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

somehow there wasn't an extra $300 in the budget for a sheet of invisiglass

Not an option at the moment, the game uses a custom glass size.

#14117 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Just got home from the show and have a few comments on the game.

Thanks man, easily one of the most useful posts since the game was revealed. Lot of really helpful context.

Personally, I appreciate all the effort people went through to bring the game to the show. Obviously it's still really rough, and maybe more so than we were led to believe, and I understand the frustration that comes with that.

But at the end of the day we finally got to see something. Unfinished, raw, and maybe ridiculous in many ways, but it was a pinball. And that's what I'm ultimately here to read about and talk about. I'd personally love to see less legal advice from people who aren't actually lawyers, and more talking about the game. Will it ever actually get built? I dunno. Maybe the will and ways exist to at least get a more finished prototype done, and we can at least see the vision for the game functioning better. I'd like that.

I've never felt that "non-owners" should just be quiet. But if you didn't actually lose any money to John maybe it's time to dial back the emotional response just a little. The wheels are in motion. He's being sued. No one is sending him money. He's a jerk. We all get it. No need to keep beating the horse. It's just noise now.

If you're involved with Pintasia in any way, even just as a volunteer who's trying to help out, then please do keep posting updates, even with the drama. And if it all fails to produce games for everyone, well, we know who's fault that is. I think the odds are long, but if people are crazy enough to try then I wish them nothing but good luck.

Also, thank you to the mods for stepping in and trying to reduce the toxic back and forth, it's appreciated. Let's try and remember that we're all on the same side here, fans of pinball.

#14277 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Also paying tribute to TOTAN a picture of a Genie Lamp I'm sure there is more but I did not look at the game too close.

Left side has the same spinning lamp mech as TOTAN.

#14282 8 years ago

I don't know who has the prototype now but keeping a running log of what's going on with it might be a really smart idea. There was obviously a lot of progress in 3 weeks, why not just keep updates going on everything? Transparency would go a long way with people.

And if part of the process is replacing custom mechs with off the shelf stuff it would be nice to document, and maybe the community even has ideas for some of it.

I'm as big a skeptic as anyone here, but the situation is what it is, might as well make whatever positive moves you can.

#14302 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

TH was set to 2 balls at Allentown. But still twice as better than 1 ball.

It was set to one ball at Expo 2014, just for the record.

I think it would be cool if these early game appearances were set to a timed ball time, instead of a number. Stern did that with Mustang I think, and it seems way smarter. Keep it short, but give people a chance to make mistakes and learn the feel of the game. It's easy to drain your first ball on a playfield you've never shot before.

#14376 8 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Is the artwork Yetti is selling property of Zidware? It's Alice in wonderland, I don't understand the process here.

Short answer: no. Longer answer: he has permission anyways.

#14411 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

This leads to the most important question this thread has seen in some time... Will you be at Expo?

Tell you what, if I'm not at Expo this year then shit has gone seriously south.

And the Kiss game was total smoke an mirrors. It was all foamcore, if you touched it wrong it would have fallen apart. It was a giant waste of time, colossally stupid, but it was far, far from an actual real game. Still, it was dumb.

#14413 8 years ago

Can we stop harassing the volunteers for not doing more? They did plenty. Shit was broken 7 ways to Sunday, but it's all on John, not the people busting ass at the last minute share even the littlest something with folks.

#14439 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

The good news is if (I believe Ben Heck's?) statement that the largest BOM in pinball was sub 2K, Magic Girl at its worst should be ~$4.5-5K even in smallish quantities? (e.g. a batch of several hundred?). Assuming you have not gone crazy and done "custom everything".

No idea what quote you're thinking of, but the largest BOM is definitely nowhere near sub 2K. Ben definitely didn't say that, because I know what the BOM on AMH was. (Not under $2K)

And John did go crazy with "custom everything". They'll have to work on that.

#14506 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Hell, people won't even buy a game when shown a flipping machine - WOOLY.
"Tell me when I can pick it up" is the line now.

I don't think that's actually true. WOOLY had two main problems:

1) It was just too expensive. It's harder to sell people on a game that costs that much, especially with no pedigree. No theme people were dying for, no famous artist or designer.

2) They didn't travel with it. I think it might have been at one show besides Expo? It's tough, takes time and money to do that. But I think people were thinking more "I'm not buying it without trying it first".

And I think that's fine. Look, pre-orders are a risk. With anyone. But you have to evaluate the reasonableness of the risk. WOOLY has Spooky as builders, that's a known quantity. There's a flipping game, not something on a piece of paper. They had a "we're only doing this if we get enough support" model that was reasonable. There's real code, and a lot of it. The music is an unknown, but that's a solvable problem.

I think decided to "risk it" on something like that is fine. It's still a risk! But you're not dumb for doing it, you're seeing what's there and real, and deciding to take a shot.

I'm not going to say I told you so or finger point, but I think that with something like Zidware there's no way anyone will pre-order a game that they can't at least SEE first. Playing it yourself is great too, but you should at least see a photo and video of the game. Flipping, with art, shots, etc. Buying into a dream that's nothing more than an idea is what's crazy. Even if it gets built, what if you hate the art and style of play?

#14529 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I am pretty confident with Heighway, partly because Aurich is on the inside and he is a straight shooter.

I think everyone will feel better when Full Throttle ships. I know Andrew will! I can tell you that I'm definitely seeing the insanity up close. There are just so many moving parts, and so many things that can go wrong. Things totally outside of your control.

Andrew brought up the ball guide example. The samples he got were fine. Then the whole batch came in and looked like crap. And he couldn't assemble playfields without ball guides. The vendor basically put him in a tough place, and he had to find a new one. Luckily they came through, and fast, but at any moment you're at the mercy of things like that.

And there's only so much you can do. You pick people who seem good, they show you the right stuff, but the proof is in the final delivery. Manufacturing really is a difficult business. I heard another crazy factory story yesterday, I'll let Andrew share it when he's ready. Luckily it wasn't a show stopper, but still, I was just shaking my head. Crazy stress.

Meanwhile as Andrew has said, Alien is slow right now because we're working through the process with Fox. A license adds a whole new layer of complexity, approvals mean you often have to wait for one part to run through the channels before you can go to the next one. There was that silly thread about having Jeremy do the art for Alien instead of me. I took no offense, really, but I also knew that it didn't matter, it wasn't even possible. Hand drawn art couldn't run through the license process.

License work. Factory work. Two things John never had to contend with. He has the "easy" parts!

#14545 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

After working and speaking with a lot of you, who know pinball development inside and out, and finally getting an opportunity to see how far along Magic Girl really is, I have decided that it is not worth my effort or finances to move this to completion.

It's the right call Bill. You know I never wished you anything but luck, but it was simply an insane thing to attempt, and was stacked against you from the very beginning. You tried, I applaud you for it, but walking away is a decision you won't regret.

So, since we all want to know, what happens to the MG proto? Back to John?

#14641 8 years ago

I really couldn't care less what happens to the MG proto, or who keeps it. But wherever it ends up I hope someone is opening their wallet to keep it, and that the money (as well as anything else that can be sold) can be used to try and help all the vendors that John screwed first, and divided up amongst the owners second if there's anything left.

I will say that these coy games from the "insiders" are disappointing though. Apparently this whole thing will die just like it started, with secrets and bullshit. Nothing learned.

#14674 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

What are you talking about Aurich what secrets and bullshit? The game is out west, John was suppose to handle getting it home regardless of an announcement being made. Sounds like he is making arrangements.

I'm talking about the people in this thread who are playing the "we know who has it but aren't telling" game. Whatever though. I don't care who has it. Just tired of the insider club stuff, it's what started all this in the first place.

Here's the truth: if everyone had just ignored the garbage NDA in the first place you would have all realized what was going on a lot sooner. The whole insider club thing is what actually spelled doom. John had people working on this like a terrorist cell, where no one knew who the other people were, not even the guys actually working on the game.

I was pretty critical of this whole thing years ago, but I figured the people telling me to F off at least were seeing cool secret shit that I wasn't. Turns out I'd been leaked everything, I just couldn't believe that was possibly all there was to see.

Maybe John is super smart, or maybe he's a paranoid squirrel, but it sure worked.

#14682 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

"holy shit, you mean I have to sign an NDA to be part of this project? That must mean that I am going to see some cool-ass shit along the way. It might take awhile, but at least the ride will be cool, seeing all this new shit that JPop is going to come up with!"

Cool shit like the Theater of Magic Post, Magna Flips, and upside down lamp spinners. He didn't invent the popup center post. He didn't invent magna flips, and he didn't invent the lamp spinner, which was done first on EMs.

Maybe they'd all be fun features! I'm okay with taking old ideas and remixing them, that's part of pinball. But it seems more than a little ridiculous that he was trying to protect ideas like that from being "stolen".

#14724 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Interesting change of perspective now that you see the other side of the coin. Before having to deal with licensing at a granular level you were pretty gung-ho about being able to do what you wanted and still be "within the confines of the license".

This isn't my first brand rodeo. I was incredulous that something so shitty was in the style guide (speaking of the dwarf font stuff), not that JJP had to follow it. I admitted it was crazy but true when the t-shirt images got dug up. I've spent decades of my career working with Fortune 500 and huge brands, I'm well aware of what it means to have to follow their rules.

And the revised Hobbit playfield looks miles better, still following the rules, so I really don't retract a thing I said.

I will admit I'm getting a new appreciation for how byzantine the movie industry is specifically though, no question. And I've said this already in another thread, I'm crazy jealous of all the high rez assets a new film like the Hobbit has available. You don't get that with movies from 1978, that's for sure!

#14731 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Unlike you, I know where the game is bahahahah

Just in case anyone wasn't clear on the thing I was complaining about earlier. Sorry Bill, this reflects on you too when these Oregon people act like this and use "we" to talk about their little insider club. I'd handle it if you want to keep your rep intact coming out of this, the game left because of you, like it or not you're the custodian.

I don't really care who has it, it's truly not my problem. But for the rest of the owners, especially those filing lawsuits, it's pretty weak that there are people here hiding it and taunting people childishly over it. I'm sure markmon thought he was joking, but it wasn't particularly funny.

Do I think it will end up back at Zidware? Yes, I'm not claiming a conspiracy to keep it. That would be as stupid as the notion that an owner would break in and steal it from where it is now. (Seriously?) But in the meantime it's the same old story, "insider" bullshit coming out of Oregon, with the "I know better than you" attitude that strung people along this whole time. That turned out to be untruths by the way.

#14747 8 years ago

I think I'm done arguing about this. I'm sure the OR circle are acting in what they feel are the best interests of everyone, I do not think they're malicious in any way. I don't care for their attitude, but I don't think anyone is trying to "steal" the game or something conspiracy like. The chips are just gonna fall where they may now, nothing to be done from my perspective but watch it play out. I hope there's some sort of resolution for people.

I guess one bright note is that people are working to try and get Zombie Yeti's art on a shipping pin. Maybe next time he can put together the full package the way he feels it should be, without a power tripping maniac redoing all his coloring and composition.

#14817 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I was referring to a previous comment about "Choosing a license that won't handcuff you" (Or something like that on a hobbit thread). Which you really can't do as you don't understand the intricacies of the license and the boundaries until after you actually hold the license. But yes it's certainly difficult to work within confines when you don't have complete creative freedom.

Ah, well fair enough then. I will definitely admit that I'm personally experiencing things being different right now than I had originally been led to believe, and that it's harder to see that coming ahead of time than I had hoped.

So maybe I was overly harsh there, mea culpa.

#14822 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

It really varies by licensor. We have 40-50 licenses that we've dealt with, including warner brothers and some are more flexible than others. Some allow hand drawn art, some don't. It's funny when we get feedback that something looks bad and it's stock art provided by the studio

Well my understanding is that the Middle Earth stuff is tough to work with, and that's probably where my comment came from. But it's tough to know ahead of time I think. If I were to keep doing this kind of thing (and it's not at all clear to me that I want to) I'd try and figure out better ways to explore deeper what the options are before getting in bed.

I think generally speaking though that it would be nice if companies were able to find more licenses that offered some creative freedom, while still bringing the benefits of a known name etc. That probably means just skipping movies all together, you're not likely to find that there.

Bands might be the best shot, look at what Stern has done with Metallica and Kiss. Especially Metallica. Hand drawn art, and a new original character in Sparky.

Whatever faults John may have you can't deny that his games have personality, and a voice. It's not really clear to me on Magic Girl what the "story" is though. Are you playing as the girl, against the girl, or what?

#14834 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

+1
They only have value if someone pays to use them or buys them. Looking at the patents, there is nothing groundbreaking in them, so I don't imagine them having any value at all. Yet another way JPop wasted time.

No one is going to license a patent to build a pinball mech. They'll just do it some other way. They're worthless, the last thing any maker wants is to balloon their BOM over an intangible.

#14967 8 years ago

I will be shocked if he goes to jail. I just don't see it.

#14984 8 years ago
Quoted from jetspeedb:

The FTC took action on a kickstarter campaign that failed to deliver or issue refunds this week. Maybe people should file a complaint here ? Dont see how it could hurt. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

But in his case he didn't actually spend money on game stuff, and moved to a new state, which is I assume why it's federal.

John did lots of stupid shit, but as far as we know the money was just spent badly and mismanaged, but it was for pinball.

#15011 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

How is it not a crime, in fact both a local and a federal crime to take peoples money for a product, and not deliver the product?

You weren't paying for a product. You were investing in a startup, with the hope of receiving a product out of it. Startups fail all the time. People lose money. No one goes to jail.

Seriously, this notion that John is going to jail, or even will be convicted of any kind of fraud, is just not happening. The lawsuit may or may not recover any money, and it will most certainly cause bankruptcy, but that's going to be the extent of it in all likelihood.

#15032 8 years ago

This might not be a popular opinion, but I don't want John to go to jail. It's not really a worry for me, because frankly I think it's utterly unlikely.

I'm totally not victim blaming here, at all! But you guys took a risk sending money to someone who never actually made pinball machines by himself. Turns out he was an artist flake, he dicked around for years, and you lost your cash. Totally sucks.

But you're all adults who should have known the risks going in. Do I think you have the right to sue him and make sure he makes right what he can and doesn't "get away" with anything? Hell yes.

But going to jail? Come on. That's just a horrible thing to wish on someone. And I get that people are mad at him. But he didn't take your money and go to a tropical island. He did what some of us thought he'd always do, he farted around with pinball ideas for years, and never finished shit. As lame as it might be, he did work on pinball this whole time. He did spend your money on custom parts and development. It wasn't a scam, or a ponzi scheme, it was just a failed business from a dreamer who didn't handle the reality of getting things done.

It wouldn't feel like a victory to me, but rather a really dark mark on the hobby if he actually did jail time for that.

#15056 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I think somebody hacked Aurich's account.

Why, because I think he shouldn't go to jail? That he should pay for it financially instead? Including bankruptcy, selling off assets, and repaying anything and everything he can? That while I feel for everyone who lost money on this I also believe that when you take a risk the possibility of getting burned has to be taken into account?

I promise I'm not saying I told you so. I'm not victim blaming. I think John screwed everyone, it sucks, and I wish you had your games. But if you got back, I dunno, 2 years or something, I was saying I thought this was a horrible idea, and people shouldn't send John money. It was a genuine risk, no guarantees. And the worst case has basically come to pass, but we all knew it was possible right?

John is a crappy person in my mind. I could say it nastier than that, but it's good enough. And not just for being a space case, and a control freak, but for lying to people, for stringing them along, for screwing vendors, and just all around doing everything he could to F this all up.

And that's lawsuit territory, no question. His name is, and should be, mud in pinball now. If he never comes to another show again it will be too soon. Take his money, whatever he has. He was steward of your million, and he didn't take his responsibility seriously.

#15060 8 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

I admit I am new to this so maybe John is a demigod, whose fall from grace is devastating.

Nah. Lots of people in pinball are probably not surprised, including everyone who's ever worked with him.

I guess maybe I'm just too soft hearted or something, but the idea that someone would do jail time for failing to build a pinball just kinda depresses me. I wouldn't want that to be part of the hobby I love.

Go after him though, he deserves it. And I don't think the law will indicated jail time. And if it does then it will be, in my opinion, because he did things even worse than we know about right now. And then so be it.

#15079 8 years ago

JJP didn't invent light pipes, so I doubt it.

#15088 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

That was the last time I tried to be a good citizen

I was waiting for the story to end with the cop giving you a ticket for using a phone while driving.

#15142 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

To all of those who are in on Zidware machines; I sure hope youknowwho does not try to take legal action/ COuNtersue you for violating an NDA.

I really hope you're joking.

That NDA isn't worth wiping your ass with.

As for all the photos ... I get why people are mad at John, believe me. But see all that shit? He was working the whole time. In a totally half assed, never-gonna-finish way of course. But it wasn't fraud. It was just giving money to a crazy artist with no grip on project management. Yes, he lied. He's a bad person. Etc etc. But you're just not gonna send him to jail for any of this. In my not a lawyer, just a person thinking through the logic capacity of course.

I have zero clue how a lawsuit would go, but I guess we'll find out!

#15178 8 years ago

There's a reason there is a no politics rule here. Let's stick with being mad at John.

#15276 8 years ago

I don't even play a lawyer on TV, and I haven't read the contract, I'm sure the law suit will sort everything out.

But just from my "real world" perspective, there seems to be a lot of confusion over what exactly was going down here. You weren't hiring a garage door tech, or buying a taco.

You were crown funding a startup business.

And your reward for your (risky, non-insured) investment was the potential for a unique and limited edition pinball machine. One that might have been worth a lot of money frankly, and more than one person was counting on that. The next BBB etc. They hoped that a big risk would pay off with a big reward.

The company was utterly untested. It was run by someone with little experience outside of playing with pinball playfield designs. The number of games made no sense from an economic perspective when it comes to manufacturing. There were a lot of risks associated with your investment. There were plenty of voices advising you of such, that were ignored.

People plunged ahead anyways. I'm not saying your were dumb, or that John didn't lie to you, and mislead you. But you were taking a risk, eyes wide open, and there was always a chance you were going to get nothing from this.

And now we've come to the end, the company has failed (as so many do) and you're left holding the bag. John isn't going to jail. I'm sure you guys have enough breach of contract evidence to run a successful lawsuit on whatever assets are left. Beyond that there may not be much to it. It's not that easy to pierce the veil, corporations are set up for this very reason, to protect personal assets. John maybe screwed up enough that a sharp lawyer can do it. But don't count on it.

Hey, see the non lawyer part, maybe I'm wrong! But that's my educated guess, given what I know and understand. This might be something new for pinball, but it's hardly a new story when it comes to businesses like this. It's a very old one.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, or put anyone on the spot, or stomp on you while you're down. But I think these are the realities of the situation, and we should probably stick to them when it comes to setting expectations.

And we should all be learning from this. We knew one of these pre-order startups was going to fail. It just happened to be back to back. If people want to continue taking risks in the future, hey great, it's your money. We should all just remember what one of the outcomes can be.

#15288 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Disagree. He was selling a product. They were buying a product. He broke his contract and hasn't delivered the product. The "Jpop Experience" wasn't sold as a Kickstarter or a gamble. It was a product purchase.

I get that perspective. But it's just not what was happening. There was no product to buy. People were funding him to develop it. It was a terrible business model, but it is what it is.

Clearly there's a breach of contract here, people are going to be in the right on a lawsuit. I haven't a clue what they'll get, but I'm not suggesting people don't do it.

Quoted from Mike_J:

I would be very surprised if piercing the veil in this instance become difficult or problematic.

Outside my realm of experience, so I won't argue the point. I'm just saying, he set up a corporation, the payments were made to it, and he has plenty of evidence to suggest that he spent the money on what he said he would. He messed up badly, the business failed, and that's that. But it wasn't a scam, not in the traditional sense at least. The dumb sap is apparently still claiming he's gonna find a way to deliver games!

It's obvious to me that he's got some real problems, mentally. You look at the Magic Girl whitewood from 2013 and realize that he could have finished that game, but he chose not too. He was afraid to show it. He didn't know how to make the mechs work. He was afraid of actually starting manufacturing. He ran out of money and hid it. He just wanted to play in the tinkering arena forever, and started game 2 and 3 to do that. I have no idea what happened. Sue the guy.

I don't think pre-order is even dead. For better or for worse. But I sure hope no one ever pre-pays for a game they've never even seen again. You want to fund a WOOLY getting built, after playing the actual prototype with your own hands? Hey, go for it, that's not the worst idea ever. Spending $16k for a game you don't know a single thing about is just crazy though. Was a bad idea then, it's a bad idea now.

#15290 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I presume you mean "crowd funding" (allowing for a typo...)

That's a good typo! King Jpop, ruler of the pinball world! You paid to let him prance around in his crown, telling everyone else trying to build a machine how shit their ideas were.

Quoted from rotordave:

I know what you are saying ... Effectively the first buyers were crowd funding. But that is not what they agreed to do. They agreed to purchase a pinball machine, and Zidware agreed to make them and deliver them.

Well this is where not reading the contract and not being a lawyer get me in over my head. So I'll not try and defend a position that I can't really speak to with enough certainty. But it's the effectively part I'm getting at. Whatever John promised, whatever he said, people were paying him to start up his dream. And he failed miserably.

It sucks. I wish people had gotten rad games. I wish it was so good that I was crazy jealous and couldn't wait to find one to play. I get no joy of out people suffering and losing money, or saying I told you so.

#15321 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Did Popadiuk's customers agree to pay for the machinery or software used to create these games? I thought they simply agreed to buy a new pinball machine for $16,000.

Does anyone have a copy of the contract they can post? We're really just guessing at the language. Not that it really matters, we're just armchair quarterbacking here, a real lawyer is on the case.

I think it's wise to sue. I dunno if you'll ever get your $500 back, but if you can afford it just for peace of mind I say do it. And hey, who knows, it might actually go somewhere.

#15324 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I agree there are assets. There is zero cash. The assets aren't going to be worth enough for preorders to get cash. After seeing what's there, you'd be convinced as well.

I just assumed he blew a chunk of the cash on machinery. But if that's not the case, and you don't have expensive gear to sell off, how the hell did he burn through it all? Obviously some of it was pure stupidity (buying $7,000 worth of LEDs when you don't even have a single game to show) and lots of it was wasted on custom fabrication, but damn, all of it?

#15352 8 years ago

You're right of course. I'm not really trying to argue that point.

But in practice that's what happened. And I think it was obvious from the start that it was going to be the case. Still, sic the lawyers, I'm all for it. I'm sure people have a case, whatever blood the Jpop stone(d) has to give up.

#15385 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

the customers were mere patrons (they weren't investors or customers...just patrons).

Dead effing to rights on.

And he's still thinking that way. That some millionaire is gonna come along and be his sugar angel. Just because he's doing the most awesome pinball thing ever, and someone will want to just pay a ridiculous sum of money just to make sure he can keep doing that amazing work. On the start of game 4.

#15439 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

You're a great guy and that's a nice offer...but if anyone here needs $500, they should not be collecting pinball machines...

I don't think that's really fair, there's a lot of ways you can be a collector on a budget. But I'd agree that if you need $500 you shouldn't be pre-ordering pipe dream concept games from the Mad Hatter.

But still, it's a nice offer, and as he points out, things change. It's been years now!

#15445 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Do any of them do a job as exclusive as pinball design and producer? Or any of them do any work where there is probably less than 3 dozen qualified people in the world to do it?

John is a clown. I doubt anyone here would dispute that now.

But remember when he launched this, people were lining up to throw money at him. Why? Because he was a good salesman, and leveraged a reputation (that should have been more closely examined) into the investments.

If he'd pulled this off no one would have doubted he was the man to do it. He certainly talked the talk for a bit.

Remember how many people thought he was the one doing the art?

#15598 8 years ago

This thread is taking a turn for the especially stupid bizarre now.

You don't have to start a pinball business to critique one. I get it, people don't want to hear what flynnibus has to say. John overpaid himself, blah blah. Obviously his business was a colossal failure, no one is disputing that his decisions were asinine. But we're talking about a lawsuit here, and it's simply not illegal to pay yourself a salary. Is it that simple? No, of course not. Focusing on that one details misses the trees.

And for whatever faults John has (and there are plenty) no one questioned that he could design a pinball machine when they started throwing thousands of dollars at him. This notion that "lol anyone can just load up CAD" is ridiculous. It's like saying anyone can pick up a pencil and draw. Anyone can fire up Photoshop and design. Sure. And some people might be more talented than they realize and just never tried. And the rest will discover it's more difficult than they thought.

#15669 8 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

The line from JPOP to any potential "White Knights" about coming to his shop and drinking some tea lol...What the hell's in that tea???

Psilocybin.

Quoted from wcbrandes:

Right now I am licking my wounds and trying to figure out the best way to proceed from here

I hate to say it, but you're in good company. Sounds like everyone who's ever tried to help John.

Hopefully you're the last to try.

#15671 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Ignorant.
Anyone who is going to invest in a company and put up tons of capital to get games actually built are "obviously looking for a cut."

And deserves that cut too. Can we please stop looking for people who want to do things "for the love of pinball"?

Sounds great, but it's a ton of f***ing work, and a lot of time and/or money, and frankly I don't trust or have faith in anyone who's not figured out a plan to make it beneficial for them. Because without that you have someone who's probably inexperienced, naiive, and likely to just bail out when it becomes too much of a headache.

That's not some kind of subtle shot at Bill either, he was smart to drop out.

I'd have way more trust in someone who came in like a business man, said here are my terms, this is my %, if you can work with that then let's get this done together.

#15682 8 years ago

It's my opinion that WOOLY is impossible to make/sell with the current design.

$8k is just really expensive. Spooky is proving that there's a way to build limited and cool pins for $6k (AMH maybe doesn't have the art polish, but Rob Zombie will, and licensed music to boot).

There are some games that are that much, but they have some extra things going on. WOZ and Hobbit have full RGB lighting systems, full color LCD screens with high quality animation, lots of licensed sounds and original music, etc.

TBL has the same kind of stuff, with a cool wide screen full color display. 26 songs, etc.

WOOLY has the old LED DMD. I don't recall the lighting being RGB when I've played it, someone correct me if I'm forgetting. As of last time there was no music yet. It's just not quite there to play with the big boys at that price point. And, to make this vaguely on topic, Riot doesn't have the (now utterly ruined) pedigree and rep that John was able to leverage into his asking prices.

I get that WOOLY has 6 flippers etc. It's a bit of a kitchen sink design, for better or for worse, that stems from it being a real world creation of a virtual table, where BOM isn't a consideration. IMHO the design and BOM need to be adjusted to make it realistic.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a customer at these price points, and I could be projecting my own biases.

#15724 8 years ago

Could everyone please post your net worth so I know if I'm allowed to mess with you?

#15806 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Are you an attorney?

ARE YOU AN ATTORNEY?!!

Oh.

#15820 8 years ago

Who cares if he wants to argue? Stop arguing with him and he'll stop, it takes two sides.

It's not like this thread is useful for anything else now.

I doubt John will face criminal charges too, I just don't see it. I just don't care enough to keep beating the drum on it. It's just a forum discussion, it won't change shit. I'll just see what the lawyers do.

#15914 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

If that is the outcome of all this I would be happy with that. Unfortunately I doubt people will change.

So they'll lose their money. Or wait years for something. Or hey, get their product. That's the nature of taking risks.

Either way they're adults and can do whatever the hell they want with their money, without my permission, or yours.

It's been my position for years that sending a dime to Jpop was asinine. But I said my piece and moved on, there's no point in trying to beat it into someone. We're all big boys here.

I've read every post in this whole thread from the start, nearly 16,000 of them. Only now has it gotten so stupid that I can't follow along anymore. It's just become people telling each other what to think back and forth, nothing but going in circles, and pointing fingers at each other.

Good luck with the legal stuff everyone, I hope you at least get some kind of emotional satisfaction out of it, if not financial.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
470 posts in this topic match your search for posts by aurich. You are on page 2 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/2?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.