(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 275 of 490.
#13701 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I think it's still processing to hd but here's another » YouTube video

Hmm... thanks for this video. I've seen three vids of gameplay so far and not one ramp shot.

notnam.jpgnotnam.jpg

#13702 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hmm, it's not a big deal I guess, but when I see stuff like the "Charge the coils" text being obscured by the ramps it irritates me. I'm playing pinball, I need to be able to read things easily and quickly. This is something that the move from DMD to LCD is going to have to watch out for.

I think Jeremy does great work. But come one, first time in 15 years? It's not like it's the first hand drawn game to appear in that time period. Hell, even Stern is shipping their second such game in the past couple years right now. So let's not overdo that aspect of it.

I was drawing a blank after WMS closed their doors. I know there is TSPP and the Melon's as examples but if there are many more they must not have made much of an impression or I missed it.

#13703 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

We just got updated code over nited from JPOP... Installing now

I'll bet that this "updated code" is just an updated yaml to increase the flipper strength... Unless there was a Third developer silo also working on code...

#13704 8 years ago

Metallica has hand drawn art.

Kiss as well.

Sure would like to see a ramp shot.

#13705 8 years ago

Well I guess the good news is should Pintasia bring a programmer onboard now, he would have two years to produce the software. Game can ship with COMPLETE CODE.
Bill is beginning to capture my attention.

#13706 8 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Chris, you're doing a great job streaming the seminars from the NW show. I'm really enjoying the different segments. Looking forward to The Hobbit seminar tonight, too.
It's a shame that you won't be able to stream Magic Girl. I think everyone understands that's not within your direct control, but at least you tried to make it happen.

I really appreciate that! Thank you for the kind words and thank you to everyone who watches our streams and gives feedback.

#13707 8 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I was drawing a blank after WMS closed their doors. I know there is TSPP and the Melon's as examples but if there are many more they must not have made much of an impression or I missed it.

Well let's see, off the top of my head there's TSPP, Family Guy, X-Men, Woah Nellie, Metallica, and Kiss just from Stern.

The Big Lebowski has really great hand drawn art. AMH is hand drawn. We can skip Predator I guess, but that was hand drawn. Same with WOOLY. WOOLY has more chance of shipping than anything from Zidware frankly.

Are all those games the pinnacle of perfection in the drawing department? No. But it's not like this is the first game in 15 years that someone drew the art for or anything, that's all I'm saying.

#13708 8 years ago
Quoted from Pincrawler:

Metallica has hand drawn art.
Kiss as well.
Sure would like to see a ramp shot.

Ahhh there ya go. Early Alzheimer's and all that..

#13709 8 years ago

I'm a skeptic here. I see a lot wrong, and I see a lot down the road that makes these really unlikely to ever be built. I've frankly never believed in this project from the beginning.

But I don't want to just be a negative whiner here. Hats off to everyone who busted their humps to get this game in revealable prototype fashion. pdxmonkey especially. He might have been a cheerleader in this thread, but the guy put his energy where his mouth was and made sure this game got where it needed to be. That was some serious driving.

Thank you to everyone posting videos, or hands on impressions. We're living vicariously through you, and it's appreciated.

And extra big thanks to everyone who worked on this in silence, stuck in unappreciated limbo by John. We wouldn't be seeing this if it wasn't for your contributions, and if you haven't been paid for all of them it's a crime.

As much as I think this is just a glimpse of something that will never be, if by some miracle the stars align I wish everyone luck. I'd love to see the games get made, my cynicism doesn't stem from any desire to see them fail, just my realistic assessment of the situation.

#13710 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well let's see, off the top of my head there's TSPP, Family Guy, X-Men, Woah Nellie, Metallica, and Kiss just from Stern.
The Big Lebowski has really great hand drawn art. AMH is hand drawn. We can skip Predator I guess, but that was hand drawn. Same with WOOLY. WOOLY has more chance of shipping than anything from Zidware frankly.
Are all those games the pinnacle of perfection in the drawing department? No. But it's not like this is the first game in 15 years that someone drew the art for or anything, that's all I'm saying.

I'm glad people can finally see it at least. While Im not egotistical enough to call it the second coming - I'm not going to knock anyone's wind out for the sake of semantics

Had it arrived on time (2012) the impact might have been greater but at least it's not another 4 color process or license cash in?

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-536.jpgimage-536.jpg

#13711 8 years ago

Beautiful looking game but honestly that layout (as it stands) is terrible! It's a one ramp game and you have a damn "Genie lamp" spinner impeding it. It also impedes the left orbit. Then you have a lame spinner up the middle shot and what appears to be some kind of "Dead end" shot, a right orbit, and a scoop. I think any Stern Pro game (besides WWE) looks more fun to shoot and I was really hoping that Avengers was the last time we'd see that stupid spinning genie lamp. At least on Avengers it doesn't block two of the main shots! Don't get me wrong, it's cool that we finally get to see the game being played after all these years but I really just think this game should just be shot and put out of its misery! I'd be happy if someone just completed one and then donated it to Pinball Hall of Fame so everyone could at least try it once but I don't think there's any chance of people wanting to pay serious money for this game beyond paying just for the art and rarity factor.

#13712 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Hmm... thanks for this video. I've seen three vids of gameplay so far and not one ramp shot.
notnam.jpg

GET-TO-DA-RAMP-SHOT.jpgGET-TO-DA-RAMP-SHOT.jpg

#13713 8 years ago

The beautifully contoured & colored plastics, side panels art, and lcd along the back are really impressive. Seems like a lots of attention to detail. But also makes me consider this to be setting a new bar for pinball design.

#13714 8 years ago
Quoted from robbycsmith:

When you need a Home Run or a Triple to win the game, should you bunt and hope to get 16k from speculators.

When your team only had 3 weeks to practice, do your forfeit like a bunch of girls, or do you get your team out there and play?

#13715 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The beautifully contoured & colored plastics, side panels art, and dvd along the back are really impressive. Seems like a lots of attention to detail. But also makes me consider this to be setting a new bar.

Well I can say that was the idea - and what kept me going on it - it really is a step up in quality of its design and build (and the art is ok) - there are a lot of things not being seen here that could solidify that but proof is always in the pudding. So let's see what happens from here - I don't want to be led on anymore than the next guy (there's so many issues here for sure) but I'd really love to see this thing finished as intended... Damn you jpop for keeping me hanging with hope

#13716 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Videos make it (gameplay) look like crap. Kind of like Woz video 3 years ago. IMO if we were seeing this footage 2 years ago it would still look like crap but we'd say it's still early. But now we're saying what the hell has John been doing for the last 2 years.
Can't blame the new guys I'm sure they have done the best with what they had to work with.
Now we know why John was reluctant to post his own videos of the game.

Agreed- what has Jflop been doing for 4 years? Snorting coke? This is 4 years of 18 hour days (hoho).

#13717 8 years ago

If this Wifi was faster than .7mbps is have a ramp shot up lol

#13718 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I'm glad people can finally see it at least. While Im not egotistical enough to call it the second coming - I'm not going to knock anyone's wind out for the sake of semantics
Had it arrived on time (2012) the impact might have been greater but at least it's not another 4 color process?

image.jpg
image-536.jpg

Yeah I think what I meant was new ORIGINAL fantasy/comic-style art. Not art based on TV cartoons that we are already overly familiar with. Not X-Men where we've seen the characters done to death. Not Melon's as it seems a familiar but bad Hee Haw joke.

I know companies think people MUST be already familiar with a product for it to sell (and they're probably right) but I miss the old days of WMS where we didn't KNOW what little characters and oddities we would find in the artwork UNTIL we actually saw it. You didn't know what little gems were hidden on NGG's PF or MM's (insert example) until you saw it... I liked looking through the busy artwork to find all the detail, inside jokes, etc.

Admittedly if you know JPops other games you'll see a lot of references but it's that "not knowing" exactly what you'll find in the art that I find intriguing and -not usual for current pinball- (maybe that's better than the 15 year remark)

Ok didn't mean to derail the discussion here...

#13719 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

facepalm.jpg
He has a half-finished prototype, there's legal action all over the place, his deal with JPop is as "top secret" as Zidware's normal dealings, his first attempt to negotiate with customers was to have them waive any and all liability to proceed further, there are reports he has business associates who have a shady past, there are tons of disgruntled and ripped off suppliers, and you think an estimate like that holds water?
Honestly, I'm not trying to rain on y'alls parade. I'm just pointing out that you guys are, once again, marching towards a cliff, with your heads in the clouds and not looking realistically at the road ahead.

One word- sue. There is a large ongoing class action. Join it, guys!

#13720 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

As a recap in case people didn't see my previous posts over the last few weeks. The code running on the Mg proto is code I wrote up til May 2014, at which point I was forced to stop due to non payment of invoices.
There are plenty of features and items written, as previously described inc ramps, locks ,multiball etc, but it is not complete. I'm sure you'll see more videos as the weekend progresses. I'd let people there feedback and see what the comments are.
For people there be sure to have a good look over everything code wise including all the system service mode stuff written to.

If you haven't been paid, it is disgusting Pintasia dare to show their faces at the show. Disgusting. Ditto for other vendors.

#13721 8 years ago

Congrats to the team involved in getting the game somewhat playable and out for people to see. I have to say though, JPOP really should have a lot of explaining to do. How in the world does Scott make WOOLY which is a completely loaded widebody that is now fully coded on his own dime and from what I heard for less the 80K. There is no way that 1 million dollars was even close to invested into that prototype. WOOLY also looks to be a lot better game for half the price. The art on MG looks nice and is refreshing to see, but the game itself doesn't look to have a lot going for it and has several major flaws in my opinion.

JPOP had to have known 2 years ago or even earlier that he was not going to be able to do this. What you see is also not even close to 4 years worth of work. I would love to know what he spent money on the last 2 years as it was not on much game development. What a total crook. He deserves a soccor kick to the nads.

#13722 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

We just got updated code over nited from JPOP... Installing now

Is Applejuice still working on code?

#13723 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Well I guess the good news is should Pintasia bring a programmer onboard now, he would have two years to produce the software. Game can ship with COMPLETE CODE.
Bill is beginning to capture my attention.

Pintasia already has a plan for the programming. And I have a programmer with tons of experience that has volunteered if needed.

The way the community has come together now that Popadiuk is out is amazing. And I know additional people could be assembled to help in various ways.

#13724 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

facepalm.jpg
He has a half-finished prototype, there's legal action all over the place, his deal with JPop is as "top secret" as Zidware's normal dealings, his first attempt to negotiate with customers was to have them waive any and all liability to proceed further, there are reports he has business associates who have a shady past

"shady past"? Actually, it's shady *present*. Look at the dates on the videos posted regarding the DFRF Enterprises "IPO". It was only about a month ago. This isn't something that went down five or ten years ago, but last month.

I'm honestly perplexed why these revelations have not caused more of a shock here. Is it because people are so desperate to see a game? Is it because after all the failed reveals, lies, etc., one more lie is no big deal?

http://dfrfenterprisesctba.blogspot.com/2015/05/canada-manager-sabrina-wei-entrevista.html

http://www.bcsc.bc.ca/News/News_Releases/2015/39_Investor_Alert__BCSC_issues_warning_about_DFRF_Enterprises_LLC__DFRF_Enterprises_Ltd__and_Daniel_Fernandez_Rojo_Filho/

#13725 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

If you haven't been paid, it is disgusting Pintasia dare to show their faces at the show. Disgusting. Ditto for other vendors.

In what way? How will they ever get paid if the games do not get made? Will keeping the game in JPOP's house get them paid? I know everyone involved is pissed but keep the blame on JPOP where it belongs. If the code looks good it will be good advertisement for applejuice and could help recoop some of what is lost. It's a bad situation all around.

#13727 8 years ago

I don't really understand why the photos and game play are getting thumbed up.

1.The games not getting made.
2. A lot of people got screwed.

Its just hard for me to get behind this.

#13728 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Holy terrible glass glare, Batman!</blockquot>
For $16k I'd expect non-glare glass. Surely this is not rocket science?

#13729 8 years ago
Quoted from TravisRT1985:

Its just hard for me to get behind this.

It's for the people putting up the Vids so others can see what it looks like.

#13730 8 years ago

i admit the game look nice but 16k is crazy for a pinball.

#13731 8 years ago

I am a bit confused at to why there was a rush to get this game to this show. As it sits it seems pretty unimpressive, outside of the art, and it seems that time spent properly making it work would have better leant itself to promoting the game to potential buyers.

Would be nice if someone from Pintasia did a walk through video of what is suppose to happen in the game. I'm just not getting it.

#13732 8 years ago

The Pin2000 version of Playboy never got made and lots of people lost their jobs.

Do we not thumbs up pictures when somebody brings a prototype to Expo?

#13733 8 years ago

This reminds me of the producers.

Springtime for hitler in Germany.

#13734 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I am a bit confused at to why there was a rush to get this game to this show. As it sits it seems pretty unimpressive, outside of the art, and it seems that time spent properly making it work would have better leant itself to promoting the game to potential buyers.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but there's a line to try and sue John out of existence, the time to strike was now or never. Will it happen? I personally doubt it. But there was no more time to be had, one way or another. It was too late a year ago frankly.

Is it the fault of the people taking the time to share the game with us that things are boned? Of course they're getting thumbs up, we appreciate their efforts.

#13735 8 years ago
20150606_133435.jpg20150606_133435.jpg
#13736 8 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

i admit the game look nice but 16k is crazy for a pinball.

16k isn't crazy as long as people are willing to pay it. It's a low run collectors game for the home. What's Bbb going for now ..20k? It could have worked..

#13737 8 years ago

With all of the vendors and pinheads willing to do some very impressive work, essentially for free, it makes me wonder what could be. A small investment to cover real development costs but a group of people with the skill, equipment, and enthusiasm to produce a cool machine. Everyone involved gets a machine after expenses are covered and profits split at the end...

AMH started as a project for fun (building on other projects). Scoregasm isn't as complicated or for everyone, but it's an impressive game considering it was done as a lark. Where would this game be if John was involved but not in charge...

#13738 8 years ago
Quoted from Revo76:

Well, I had send a message to Bill about the work I had done for John.
Even through some others who are in touch with him.
But he still has not responded.........I know he is busy, but still....

Imagine the positive reaction if Bill said he spent $100k on paying off all the vendors. Huge kudos. After all, this is a man worth 10s of millions of dollars, who has huge experience in turning over troubled companies, and loves pinball, like we do. Go for it, Bill!

If this doesn't happen, then people will make their own conclusions about profiteering fuckwits who run illegal ponzi schemes. Not Bill, obviously.

#13741 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe you haven't noticed, but there's a line to try and sue John out of existence, the time to strike was now or never.

That line was going to exist if the game made this show or not.

#13742 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

That line was going to exist if the game made this show or not.

Agreed yes. Getting the game to the show won't stop any lawsuits. But any chance of trying to pull off this plan (which for the record I think will not work) was going to vanish with any more delays. The patience has been long spent.

#13743 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

» YouTube video

FINALLY - the ramp shot (sorta)! Second time was the charm... I like the first comment "oops the ramp broke!"

Thanks for the vid

#13745 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Facts
John is going bankrupt
Game is no where near finished
Production costs are unknown
Finding investors at $16k a game without manufacturing experience may not happen
John is so toxic that people don't want to own anything with his logo anywhere
John is impossible to work with to get this finished

Let's not forget, what would be the tech support and parts for this game for years to come???

#13746 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Imagine the positive reaction if Bill said he spent $100k on paying off all the vendors. Huge kudos. After all, this is a man worth 10s of millions of dollars, who has huge experience in turning over troubled companies, and loves pinball, like we do. Go for it, Bill!
If this doesn't happen, then people will make their own conclusions about profiteering fuckwits who run illegal ponzi schemes. Not Bill, obviously.

I doubt that $100K would pay off all vendors. I have a feeling that John owes a lot more than that.

#13747 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Beautiful looking game but honestly that layout (as it stands) is terrible!

Imagine working on a project for 4+ years and some one else has done the art and all you got show for as gameplay is this machine... well i think its time to start looking for another job.

And whats more important, this does NOT look like 4 years of work as said before. There must be money left.

#13748 8 years ago

thanks for the ramp shot vid. Well there you go. A shaky ramp shot

#13749 8 years ago

I think it would of been better for Bill to of hired some of the folks who worked on Magic Girl but designed a game from scratch. Even if he got all the IP for free from Zidware, he also gets the sh*t storm that comes along with it. We've seen the game and I think it has good bones but the playfield/plastic is a train-wreck. I'd recommend they annul the contact w/ Zidware and walk away from this with just losing 100k.

#13750 8 years ago

I have a question about the layout. Watched two videos and I'm still not sure what the shot map is. (for example, LOTR goes, left to right, 'shire' saucer trough, orbit, wireform ramp, inner orbit, ring jump ramp/balrog toy, palantir, gimli saucer, ball lock ramp, orbit). Just curious.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 275 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/275 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.