(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 274 of 491.
#13651 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Holy terrible glass glare, Batman!

Lol agreed. They ate gone to lunch and its in lobby which is all windows. Was put there so ganeplay could be heard. Everytime I go out there i cant see lol

#13652 8 years ago

What's up with the exposed and PF blocking magnets under the end of each ramp exit? If this is an outlane saver like TOM why wouldn't you put them below the PF again and out of sight?

#13653 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

Short Video of the Menu system from NWP show
Watch "Magic Girl menu system" on YouTube
» YouTube video

P2K style menu system

#13654 8 years ago

Close up video of playfield

Watch "Magic Girl" on YouTube

#13655 8 years ago

So what's the main toy in this game?

Does the patented playfield work? Will it ever?

patent.jpgpatent.jpg

#13656 8 years ago

All I can say is WOW!

While the 4 year (or longer) drama has not disappeared, and Money/Buyers is an issue, from reading just a few months ago that there
was "nothing ready" to seeing this is impressive.

Imagine you are seeing this "unveiled" for the very first time....would you buy one for $5K-$9K?....
I would think that this would be a Great Seller, and A damn fun game!

Sooooo.........Whats next?

#13657 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Holy terrible glass glare, Batman!

To be fair it's directly across from a giant wall of floor to ceiling windows and it's an absolutely gorgeous day. Which is why I'm skipping the show today and about to head out for BBQ and drinking cold beverages in the sun.

#13658 8 years ago

this machine is growing on me (even though I'll never afford it). It's pretty, it's clean, I like the spiral ramp that dumps the ball backwards into the squiggle ramps (I just hope the ball doesn't get stuck in the middle if the ball doesn't have enough oomph).

I really do commend the people that worked so hard to get this to where it's at for a pinball show, including all the people beforehand that did work on it over the years.

#13659 8 years ago

Although the display is obscured by the main ramp, the main scoring seems to be centered and bordered so that it is just above the ramp while playing.

Watch "Magic Girl player"s perspective" on YouTube

#13660 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

Close up video of playfield
Watch "Magic Girl" on YouTube
» YouTube video

The colors of the playfield look amazing to me in this video, many of the others did look a bit off and washed out but not on this video. I keep hearing people saying if it is or isn't a $16K game and that was when the quantity was 19, I think it's safe to say Bill will be pricing them more like JJP's games if they are to be sold in larger quantities.

#13661 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

Although the display is obscured by the main ramp, the main scoring seems to be centered and bordered so that it is just above the ramp while playing.
» YouTube video

It's been said a thousand times, but that art. yeti why dont you have a online shop yet ?

#13662 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

All I can say is WOW!
While the 4 year (or longer) drama has not disappeared, and Money/Buyers is an issue, from reading just a few months ago that there
Imagine you are seeing this "unveiled" for the very first time....would you buy one for $5K-$9K?....

Sadly... probably nothing. If the money is all gone then a new entity (with actual money) would have to step in to build them from scratch. At a more reasonable price. Plus the first 20 or so would need to be done for almost nothing to make the original "investors" whole. And that's after hiring a programmer to make sure the entire thing works and that there is some actual gameplay hidden in there.

Be a hell of a white knight to step in to this situation.

How's the LED biz going btw? Been a while...

#13663 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

All I can say is WOW!

I think it's one of the most impressive looking and beautiful games I've ever seen. It's almost sensory overload. Every inch of this game has got something going on and it's begging to be played. If this game can be produced and be sold at Hobbit like prices as was suggested, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Stunning!

#13664 8 years ago

Gotta love how JPop snuck Tesla into the animations....a theme in itself.

#13665 8 years ago

I think everybody will be overwhelmed just seeing actual "pinball art" for the first time in 15 years. It's not the usual Stern photoshop-mashup kinda deal. Reminds me of the late 90's WMS days.

It makes you realize you don't get to see this kind of art anywhere except on pins and at the comic book shop (if there are any anymore)...

Personally I'd like to see it on everything

#13666 8 years ago

Guys please, when making videos, don't make vertical videos.
They lose so much detail...........

Thank you!

#13667 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

I think it's one of the most impressive looking and beautiful games I've ever seen. It's almost sensory overload. Every inch of this game has got something going on and it's begging to be played. If this game can be produced and be sold at Hobbit like prices as was suggested, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Stunning!

Agreed...there is a lot of cool stuff going on, it needs polish but the framework so far is great. If it ever gets made it could be the new BBB.

#13668 8 years ago

wow, ball hangs up just from shooting it can only hit the spinner.. those glaring raw red pimples in the middle of the pf..

Guess this qualifies it as not being Vapourware anymore lol

#13669 8 years ago

At the end of the day there is really only going to be 2 opinions:
1. I have time and/or money invested - this is a beautiful game and needs to be produced because it is going to become one of the greatest games ever.
2. I don't have time and/or money invested - this is a beautiful game and looks like it could be a great game but no way am I going to pay five figures for this.

#13670 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Everybody said the same thing about WOZ and weak flippers. That's all we heard for 6 months.
Flipper strength is the least of the game's worries right now; it's totally fixable.

When you need a Home Run or a Triple to win the game, should you bunt and hope to get 16k from speculators.

#13671 8 years ago

If nothing else comes from this, Stern and JJP should take notice that there can be a market for non-licenced themes so long as they're innovative and have an art package as impressive as this.

#13672 8 years ago

Just jumping into this thread after seeing a few min gameplay today. Beautiful game and I'm not sure if people have already been saying this but my first impression was that it almost looks like a 50/50 combo of cv and totan between the ramps magnets and artwork.

#13673 8 years ago

I agree on the close up video...the game looks visually stunning, probably even more so in person. Hopefully everything can get ironed out and the game can fall on the right side of the fence. What a shame it would be if nothing became of it.

#13674 8 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

wow, ball hangs up just from shooting it can only hit the spinner.. those glaring raw red pimples in the middle of the pf..
Guess this qualifies it as not being Vapourware anymore lol

You gotta love the way the video abruptly cuts out when the ball even approaches the flippers... quit being a TEASE!! lol At least show some footage of the ball being smacked around.

And if those are really rollovers in the center of the PF... man they look like they stick up a hell of a lot. Aren't these gonna disrupt more than a few shots when you actually play the thing? Are these potential impediments seriously needed?

#13675 8 years ago

What's with the sys11 back box. Does that thing not fold?

#13676 8 years ago
Quoted from Shorty:

At the end of the day there is really only going to be 2 opinions:
1. I have time and/or money invested - this is a beautiful game and needs to be produced because it is going to become one of the greatness games ever.
2. I don't have time and/or money invested - this is a beautiful game and looks like it could be a great game but no way am I going to pay five figures for this.

I think there's a few more options out there:

3. "It's visually impressive, but just not that FUN to play."
4. "There's too much that still not working/incomplete/unexplained to make an opinion."
5. "Check back with me when there's a programmer, a manufacturer and a complete prototype."
6. I love it!... But for $6-$7k,
7. Etc

#13677 8 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Just jumping into this thread after seeing a few min gameplay today. Beautiful game and I'm not sure if people have already been saying this but my first impression was that it almost looks like a 50/50 combo of cv and totan between the ramps magnets and artwork.

....and sounds.

#13678 8 years ago

Visually a beautiful game. Say what you want about all the purple, it is just very attractive and obviously "had" a lot of potential. If the ramps are functional or anything in the back actually works then it would be nice to see a video of that. The short playing video was pretty unimpressive. The LCD screen is cool where it is, and I suspect that there were a lot of "features and toys" planned but right now it does not look like they have been implemented yet. It would be a shame to see the game end here.

I would love to see the project finished and would even be interested at a reasonable price point. Unfortunately I suspect legal issues will end it.

#13679 8 years ago

It looks pretty darn nice, no question. However, I am am not putting 10k-15k down and then waiting 4 years for one.

#13680 8 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

What is the story with the green face in the backbox? Is it a hologram?

Green face is a spinning mini pf. Sort of like CV cannonball. Its to have a mini pinball, and those are real pins, like a mini-bagatelle.

#13681 8 years ago

Just spent about 15 minutes at the NW Pinball & Arcade Show staring at it... super impressive design and style, visually it's blowing me away. Many cool ideas going on--the height and layers of the ramps, unique placement of the video screen, killer artwork and I really like the lighting. I really hope someone is able to complete this project and produce the games, because this is the kind of next step we need to move pinball ahead.

#13682 8 years ago

I think this is now dead. Kudos for everyone getting this together. I'd love to play it and would like to own it, but at less than 50% complete and a price over 10k this game is dead. Let's call it what it is. I hope it does not return to John and that someone can eventually finish this and put it somewhere for all to experience.

Facts
John is going bankrupt
Game is no where near finished
Production costs are unknown
Finding investors at $16k a game without manufacturing experience may not happen
John is so toxic that people don't want to own anything with his logo anywhere
John is impossible to work with to get this finished

#13683 8 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Just spent about 15 minutes at the NW Pinball & Arcade Show staring at it... super impressive design and style, visually it's blowing me away. Many cool ideas going on--the height and layers of the ramps, unique placement of the video screen, killer artwork and I really like the lighting. I really hope someone is able to complete this project and produce the games, because this is the kind of next step we need to move pinball ahead.

So nobody is actually playing it... just looking at it? You didn't mention any "gameplay" impressions. And I think CV has the same screen placement 19 years earlier.

#13684 8 years ago

I think it's still processing to hd but here's another

#13685 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just put some invisigla ... oh.

I'm pretty sure Roman will custom cut some sheets when the games ship to EU...might cost 50€ extra, so it's 199€ then...

#13686 8 years ago

We just got updated code over nited from JPOP... Installing now image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#13687 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Shameless plug here guys, but somewhat on topic. I know there's a lot of interest in what's happening at the NW show this year. I am broadcasting all of our seminars live on Twitch.TV. I can't say for sure when, or if, the game will be unveiled publicly but here's the stream link. I'm trying to make something happen. Bill, if you read this can you stop by the seminar room and chat.
http://www.twitch.tv/nwpinballarcadeshow

Quoted from ChrisVW:

Well it's looking like that's not going to happen after all. The game is being worked on upstairs. It's available for viewing by everyone on the show floor though. I can take some video and post it but it'll just be crappy cell phone video

Chris, you're doing a great job streaming the seminars from the NW show. I'm really enjoying the different segments. Looking forward to The Hobbit seminar tonight, too.

It's a shame that you won't be able to stream Magic Girl. I think everyone understands that's not within your direct control, but at least you tried to make it happen.

#13688 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I think it's still processing to hd but here's another » YouTube video

Thanks James... best looking video yet.

#13689 8 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I'm as hopeful as the next guy, but "Final production" ? Let's take it one day at a time, shall we?
Seriously, you're responding to Jim/Applejuice: the guy who wrote the code for well over a year (two, I think), has not been payed for the final Three Months of that work, and telling him what's what based on a day or two of effort to assemble the thing? Reign it in there, cowboy

What I'm telling AppleJ, is what I saw in his software service menu screens - not based on anything in assembly. In the latest video, you can see them scroll through on the coin door open screen.

#13690 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

alt tab isn't going to do anything. Especially in Ubuntu with the app hijacking x.

#13691 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Ha! That first player is my buddy snikrap. Sadly, I think he's in for both MG and RAZA.

#13692 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

We just got updated code over nited from JPOP... Installing now

Hopefully the new code includes some ramp shots!

#13693 8 years ago

Anybody else cringe when they see a PC keyboard as an integral part of a pinball machine?

#13694 8 years ago

Somebody do us all a favor and pick up the ball and throw it up the ramp so we can at least see the ramp flow.

#13695 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

alt tab isn't going to do anything. Especially in Ubuntu with the app hijacking x.

That was the joke lol. Person doing it is a computer programmer ha

#13696 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

» YouTube video

Hmm, it's not a big deal I guess, but when I see stuff like the "Charge the coils" text being obscured by the ramps it irritates me. I'm playing pinball, I need to be able to read things easily and quickly. This is something that the move from DMD to LCD is going to have to watch out for.

Quoted from Manic:

I think everybody will be overwhelmed just seeing actual "pinball art" for the first time in 15 years.

I think Jeremy does great work. But come one, first time in 15 years? It's not like it's the first hand drawn game to appear in that time period. Hell, even Stern is shipping their second such game in the past couple years right now. So let's not overdo that aspect of it.

#13697 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Anybody else cringe when they see a PC keyboard as an integral part of a pinball machine?

Yep. Seen it before. like on WoZ, where one of the show videos shows Keith pull out a keyboard to work on Linux reboot, and udpate.

#13698 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Somebody do us all a favor and pick up the ball and throw it up the ramp so we can at least see the ramp flow.

Ya I'll do that for sure shortly when it's less crowded and I can leave the booth again

#13699 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

What's with the sys11 back box. Does that thing not fold?

Wow that would be a mess. But it has hinges, no? I mean that alone was to be an evolution to another dimension

#13700 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

That was the joke lol. Person doing it is a computer programmer ha

Not all (most) developers know linux at a granular level. Pretty simple to hide (actually not start) X and still run a native app. It would also make the machine run significantly faster as X is a super suck on resources.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 274 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/274 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.