(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 273 of 491.
#13601 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think you guys are all going hypercritical on this.
This may be your only chance to see this prototype. Enjoy it for what it is.
When you are in CA and you get your one chance to play Wizard Blocks - don't complain that it's only 10% complete. Enjoy it for what it is.

Wizard Blocks is far more complete than this is; Magic Girl as is would be more akin to the P2K Playboy with socks stuffed into the holes. Except that has a cleaner layout

#13602 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Finally, I will say it again, I have no personal vested interest. I have no pre-order, I just volunteered some time (alot of time) earlier this week to get the game in the van with PDX so Bill/Pintasia has a chance to show it, and owners have a chance to see it.

Hey dude, good for you. Thanks for helping bring the game out so people could see it. I'm sure everybody appreciates that.

But don't take it personally if people are not satisfied with the status of the game or the Pintasia deal. That has nothing to do with you guys.

Bill would probably have less heat on him if he was totally honest with the community over exactly what the terms of his deal is with JPop. But he continues to keep that secret, so it ramps up people's cynicism. Again, nothing personal. If I were around, I'd love to help get the game set up too. Thanks for helping out! Thanks for sharing this with the community. It's unavoidable that there's going to be a lot of controversy surrounding it.

#13603 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

so it ramps up people's cynicism

ISeeWhatYouDidThere.jpgISeeWhatYouDidThere.jpg

#13604 8 years ago

So has anyone else noticed that the playfield is a laminate. The playfield flexes as the ball rolls over it, like a sheet of Mylar.

#13605 8 years ago

I took a 5min video of a little game play and some wandering around. 38 min on this shitty Wi-Fi to upload them it can post

#13606 8 years ago

How many people think the responses so far were 100% predictable? Some of you are more like parrots than people.

#13607 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Every time I see this sorry excuse trotted out at a show I just shake my head.
First of all, if your game is so badly designed that normal strength flippers that can make the shots as they're meant to are going to break your game over the course of a weekend then the game is badly done. I get that it's a prototype, never the less, this is pinball. You're hurtling a 1 1/16" steel ball around inside it, it's gotta deal with that fact, or it's useless.
Secondly, this is your one chance to wow people. So really? Turn the flippers down and don't bother to level and pitch the pin for the video you know everyone is going to scrutinize? It makes no sense.
Risk chipping a plastic guys, this is your moment to show the game. You're not going to get another like this. Set the pitch right, turn the flippers up right, and let it play or not, as the case may be. Otherwise all this effort to get it there was wasted.

THe video was in the back room - my understanding from PDX, who just put it on the show floor, is that the flippers are fine, and the PF angle is around 6-7 degrees. The round 2 videos and feeds will help to see it better.

#13608 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's a slapped together demo - but I'd rather see 1/2 working demo, than nothing at all.

Is that really 50% of the game's features?

Can someone explain to me where the innovation is? Is there anything there we haven't seen on a pinball machine before?

I'm sincerely asking. This was such a super-top-secret project, I assumed there were some amazing and unique playfield mechanics that were to be revealed? Where are they?

I assume there's a list of the main sections of the game, and what features and functions? I assume it's more than just ramps and magnets that divert the ball?

ToM had the "trunk" which was a unique device that rotated and had different features. Is there something like this in MG? I see lots of things borrowed from other games. I'm wondering what is unique?

#13609 8 years ago

Maybe for 16 grand they can have a dude in a jester outfit stand there and manually throw the ball of up the ramp for you.

jester.jpgjester.jpg
#13610 8 years ago

I've got a video of the Menu system. Very intuitive looking. It looks as though the screen shows a pictorial diagram of the playfield and then highlights switch closures and coils/ lights showing their location. Pretty cool. Will upload when I have wifi

#13611 8 years ago

We'll see more video later today.

I would suggest if the flips are deliberately weak to crank them up to normal and make at least one video of the game being played that way, or you can expect the same backlash as WOZ got at PPE.

It's like when you show up to a first date wearing a dirty T-shirt. It doesn't matter that you've got a Porche in the garage, there ain't gonna be a second date for her to ever see it.

#13612 8 years ago

My first new car 88' VW Fox cost $8,800

#13613 8 years ago

Apple - I did go through all the service menus - and kudos, that's some awesome work. True also that there are coded switches and features that may or not make final production. (similar example is the lamps for the IJ backbox jackpots that were coded and not used). I think there is code for the drain post on ToM, but the mech was pulled from production games.

#13614 8 years ago

Anybody else notice the voice at the end of the Pinball News video of MG gameplay?

"The game has ended, and you are no further ahead than last time."

#13615 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Hey dude, good for you. Thanks for helping bring the game out so people could see it. I'm sure everybody appreciates that.
But don't take it personally if people are not satisfied with the status of the game or the Pintasia deal. That has nothing to do with you guys.
Bill would probably have less heat on him if he was totally honest with the community over exactly what the terms of his deal is with JPop. But he continues to keep that secret, so it ramps up people's cynicism. Again, nothing personal. If I were around, I'd love to help get the game set up too. Thanks for helping out! Thanks for sharing this with the community. It's unavoidable that there's going to be a lot of controversy surrounding it.

Thanks and no worries about taking in personally. Made the mistake of taking WN off of ignore and reading it. Pushing that ignore button feels really satisfying sometimes.

#13616 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

So has anyone else noticed that the playfield is a laminate. The playfield flexes as the ball rolls over it, like a sheet of Mylar.

Yup, it is a plastic/mylar overlay. It is also very easy to see in in this recent picture where the light is reflecting:
MG playfield.jpgMG playfield.jpg
Maybe that is why the flipper strength is turned down.

#13617 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

As a recap in case people didn't see my previous posts over the last few weeks. The code running on the Mg proto is code I wrote up til May 2014, at which point I was forced to stop due to non payment of invoices.
There are plenty of features and items written, as previously described inc ramps, locks ,multiball etc, but it is not complete. I'm sure you'll see more videos as the weekend progresses. I'd let people there feedback and see what the comments are.
For people there be sure to have a good look over everything code wise including all the system service mode stuff written to.

Applejuice, youve played the game likely the most. Care to comment about shot feel, layout and overall design?

#13618 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Is that really 50% of the game's features?

Who knows from a 1 minute video where somebody did not know the game very well?

Probably 10% of the features.

#13619 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Alright - enough!. I'm done with you. You are making stuff up now, man - you need to stop. You claim there is money. Past posts said 300k or 900k or other #'s - you claim you haven't seen the books - so what's your number based on? Libel and slander are crimes too.
Including this post - I count 14 posts saying , get out now, call your lawyer. Made your point - please stop repeating it.
Stop the repeated threats of baseball bats, showing up at the shop, "make his life a living hell" - how many violations of pinside rules does it take to lose your pinside access? None of these were softened with "just kidding" or sarcasm emoticons.
Finally, I will say it again, I have no personal vested interest. I have no pre-order, I just volunteered some time (alot of time) earlier this week to get the game in the van with PDX so Bill/Pintasia has a chance to show it, and owners have a chance to see it.
Your calling me a liar, more mouthpiece for lies, etc. is stupid. Grow up. You need to STOP.
I'm not going to hi-jack the thread any longer, or argue with a guy who makes pinside more of a crappy place than RGP.
My conclusion is to push the ignore button, I suggest you do the same and chill out from threats and legal advice.
Sorry for the detour guys.

You are the one that NEEDS TO STOP! You are claiming there is no money, correct?

Then answer this simple question... Where were you at this past week when you were working to get this prototype together?
That is a rhetorical question as we all know the answer. You were at zidware with Jpop. The shop is still open and the lights are still on.

Yes, you are flat out telling lies if you say there is no money.

It does not take a genius to add it all up, calculate how much money was brought in and possible places it went. IF the money was close to all gone then JPOP has been paying himself a HUGE salary all these years (could likely be an attempt to go after that when cases are brought against him is my understanding). The real test is that IF the money was all gone the shop would already be empty, the lights would be off, and John would all ready be bankrupt. Equipment would be sold and it would all be over.

The fact that you can not see you are vested in this is silly. Of course you want it to seceed. You spent long hours and donated time to try and bring it to life and you are proud of your accomplishments. You should be! Unfortunately you need to seperate that from the reality of this situation.

You tell us where the money went if you claim it is all gone. You tell us how the shop is still functioning, the lights are on, and the rent is paid if the money is all gone.

Pintasia claimed 100k spent to get the game to where it is. Where did he spend this 100k?

NOTHING adds up with this game, absolutely nothing!

How is it even remotely OK to you that artists, programmers, and vendors are left unpaid but yet you are part of the team that made it possible to try and sell their hard work at the show this weekend? Is this how you do business?

#13620 8 years ago

What is the story with the green face in the backbox? Is it a hologram?

#13621 8 years ago

Was this their attempt at making an incredible first impression to get more buyers on board?

I'm confused....

#13622 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You are the one that NEEDS TO STOP! You are claiming there is no money, correct?
Then answer this simple question...

Dude, we get it but you're just repeating yourself for pages and pages of posts. Please stopping beating the horse, it's dead.

#13623 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

And you can't hit the drive-thru at 2am with a pinball game.

My TSPP would beg to differ!

#13624 8 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

Dude, we get it but you're just repeating yourself for pages and pages of posts. Please stopping beating the horse, it's dead.

unfortunately it is not dead.

We are being told that JPOP has no cash and their only hope is to invest more in this new very risky venture. Until they show that the money is all gone then they should not be making these claims, esp as part of their desire to force others hands to invest more.

We are being told they spent 100k as another way to try and show that they are really putting cash into this. "Look everyone I am putitng in cash and you should to" Show where that investment is.

The entire deal is magic and hidden for everyone else. Until they show ALL the people with money it what the actual deal is, then unfortunately the horse is still kicking.

Artists, coders, vendors sit unpaid while their hard work is used in an attempt to bring in more money. How is this OK in our community?

Even more sickening is the handful of people very vested in the project trying to gloss over all these things.

The horse is dead when these simple thins can be answered.

#13625 8 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

What is the story with the green face in the backbox? Is it a hologram?

According to Pinball News:

"The cutout on the left [in the backbox] is a motorised pachinko-style feature which rotates while a miniature ball bounces off the pins and scores points."

Source:
http://www.pinballnews.com/games/magicgirl/index.html

#13626 8 years ago

Game has apparently got over a dozen magnets and a vacuum. Also a spinning disc with rough surface just above left inlane

#13627 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

unfortunately it is not dead.
We are being told that JPOP has no cash and their only hope is to invest more in this new very risky venture. Until they show that the money is all gone then they should not be making these claims, esp as part of their desire to force others hands to invest more.
We are being told they spent 100k as another way to try and show that they are really putting cash into this. "Look everyone I am putitng in cash and you should to" Show where that investment is.
The entire deal is magic and hidden for everyone else. Until they show ALL the people with money it what the actual deal is, then unfortunately the horse is still kicking.
Artists, coders, vendors sit unpaid while their hard work is used in an attempt to bring in more money. How is this OK in our community?
Even more sickening is the handful of people very vested in the project trying to gloss over all these things.
The horse is dead when these simple thins can be answered.

I feel like you've got to be the biggest distraction and down railing force in this thread. You're not even an owner. Why don't you back out a bit and see how things turn out?

Quoted from woodworker:

Yup, it is a plastic/mylar overlay. It is also very easy to see in in this recent picture where the light is reflecting:
MG playfield.jpg
Maybe that is why the flipper strength is turned down.

The overlay is not Mylar. It's a lexan style protector with artwork. It's pretty neat. The thing looks like a smooth clear coat but can be easily replaced if any damage were to occur (we'll sort of easy maybe 2 hours of tear down). Unfortunately on this prototype it's loose so getting in the way with some of the shot power.

There are several features not in the game yet. As far as I can tell, mine of the 9 magnets are hooked into the code. Theeft outlanes spinner is not working yet. The Tom style left ramp diverted isn't implemented yet. What is there looks great though.

#13628 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

Game has apparently got over a dozen magnets and a vacuum. Also a spinning disc with rough surface just above left inlane

What's the scoop on the vacuum?

#13629 8 years ago

What percentage of the game is mechanically complete?

#13630 8 years ago

Vacuum apparently has something to do with the big Circus Voltaire style captive ball in the center of main ramp

#13631 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The overlay is not Mylar. It's a lexan style protector with artwork. It's pretty neat. The thing looks like a smooth clear coat but can be easily replaced if any damage were to occur (we'll sort of easy maybe 2 hours of tear down).

2 hours? Did you possibly drop a zero there?

#13632 8 years ago

Game actually looks beautiful and quite tasteful LEDs in person, no more gaudy than Circus Voltaire

#13633 8 years ago

I'm really starting to feel this game. The pinball news article is giving this game way more justice than the first short gameplay video posted on this thread.

#13634 8 years ago

2.jpg2.jpg

#13635 8 years ago

Perfectly placed/ sized LCD. Stern / JJP please follow suit!

#13636 8 years ago

Best photo yet....the colors are growing on me.

The angle "looks" like it might be close to a players view? If so, the LCD doesn't look obstructed.... I like it.

#13637 8 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Perfectly placed/ sized LCD. Stern / JJP please follow suit!

Really? Because every shot I've seen so far has the ramps blocking part of the screen. The scoring seems to be put into a "virtual DMD" in the center to alleviate that.

That includes the one above. But I'd love to hear first hand reports on it.

#13638 8 years ago

Does it matter though? The area around the "dmd" portion of the lcd is window dressing isn't it?

#13639 8 years ago

Magic Girl at the northwest pinball and arcade show.

20150606_095433.jpg20150606_095433.jpg
#13640 8 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Does it matter though? The area around the "dmd" portion of the lcd is window dressing isn't it?

No clue. I can tell you that I plan on using the entire LCD screen for Alien though. Not some fancy frame around a fake DMD. It's great to be able to have the space available for information.

For instance, what happens when you start a 4 player game on this? Does it show you everyone's scores?

#13641 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Really? Because every shot I've seen so far has the ramps blocking part of the screen. The scoring seems to be put into a "virtual DMD" in the center to alleviate that.

The only time it's on the way is in test modes for the very bottom but even then it's not annoying. Gameplay with it is great so far. Easy to see and perfect level during gameplay

#13642 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Good point. The view from the pic is probably a little higher than what the average person would see while playing, but not much?

#13643 8 years ago

Perhaps this is a little off topic, but it occurred to me that a partially obscured screen could make for some amazing video effects when the ball is travelling on clear ramps.

As the ball round the back of the ramp, the screen could show a chase flame effect, or ripple as the ball passes. There are some really cool possibilities there.

Ok... We can get back to bashing the colour scheme and incompleteness again.

#13644 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

The only time it's on the way is in test modes for the very bottom but even then it's not annoying. Gameplay with it is great so far. Easy to see and perfect level during gameplay

Awesome, well that's at least good to hear.

#13646 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Apple - I did go through all the service menus - and kudos, that's some awesome work. True also that there are coded switches and features that may or not make final production. (similar example is the lamps for the IJ backbox jackpots that were coded and not used). I think there is code for the drain post on ToM, but the mech was pulled from production games.

I'm as hopeful as the next guy, but "Final production" ? Let's take it one day at a time, shall we?

Seriously, you're responding to Jim/Applejuice: the guy who wrote the code for well over a year (two, I think), has not been payed for the final Three Months of that work, and telling him what's what based on a day or two of effort to assemble the thing? Reign it in there, cowboy

#13647 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

20150606_131743.jpg
20150606_131739.jpg

Holy terrible glass glare, Batman!

#13648 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Holy terrible glass glare, Batman!

Just put some invisigla ... oh.

#13649 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pinball Circus cost $1.5 Million to prototype in 1993 dollars - that would be $2.4 Million today.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the remake of that machine is successful?

#13650 8 years ago

Short Video of the Menu system from NWP show

Watch "Magic Girl menu system" on YouTube

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 273 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/273 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.