(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 272 of 487.
#13551 4 years ago

can we get a video of someone hitting the ramp?!

#13552 4 years ago

It's flawed thinking but human nature to view life and judge others from their own personal situation. If they can't afford a $16000 game then nobody can or should. Or there must be only a very few buyers and they must be stupid.

There are a lot of wealthy people, even in the pinball world, who will think differently than you.

#13553 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

can we get a video of someone hitting the ramp?!

From watching the video, those flippers don't appear to have enough power to make the ramp.

If I'm wrong, then maybe one of the guys that worked on the game this week can confirm.

You probably need someone to whip the ball up the ramp by hand in order to see the ball make it.

#13554 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

It's flawed thinking but human nature to view life and judge others from their own personal situation. If they can't afford a $16000 game then nobody can or should. Or there must be only a very few buyers and they must be stupid.
There are a lot of wealthy people, even in the pinball world, who will think differently than you.

No it's just most are too polite to point out that it's people simply speculating and hoping for a big payout..."wow only 19 made - it'll be worth 40k a month after they are delivered!". Everybody gets it - even if they don't say it.

Personally I admire speculators and risk takers but since the risk usually fails (hence the name) you have to suck it up and go on to the next risk. Whining about it won't get the risk capitol back.

But maybe you're right - maybe some people actually think the pretty but shallow "JPop experience" is worth sixteen thousand dollars for the gameplay alone.

#13555 4 years ago

New extended video just uploaded that shows longer gameplay:

It's the same footage for the first half of the video, but there's an additional 2 minutes of new footage at the end.

#13556 4 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

New extended video just uploaded that shows longer gameplay:
» YouTube video

Well it's a good thing those ramps got made in time... really integral to the gameplay

#13557 4 years ago

No functioning ramps. I'm not seeing the "it's beautiful" thing, but maybe you got to be there. Art could have been great, but John's art direction made it cluttered.

#13558 4 years ago

Glad to see this get finished, but..

Both videos, the ball seems to get hung up in the shooter lane
Flippers not only weak, but it's floaty (which means the angle isn't very steep), so they're REALLY weak

#13559 4 years ago

I can see it's running Linux from the icons on the left.

#13560 4 years ago

Everybody said the same thing about WOZ and weak flippers. That's all we heard for 6 months.

Flipper strength is the least of the game's worries right now; it's totally fixable.

#13561 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

No it's just most are too polite to point out that it's people simply speculating and hoping for a big payout..."wow only 19 made - it'll be worth 40k a month after they are delivered!".

That's the past. I'm talking about the new the Pintasia deal people are negatively commenting about.

Oh, and I disagree about people being polite here. Lol.

#13562 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Jpop's part of the license turnover to Pintasia, is he can't say or show anything, that's all Pintasia now - don't expect a word, pic or appearance by Jpop re: any of the 3 titles. MG and protos of AIW and RAZA cabinets, playfields, parts, boards and mechs are owned by Zidware, and MG is on loan for the NW show. Pintasia bought rights to the art and theme, but not parts, machines, tools or other assets nor assumed vendor or customer liabilities.

<snip>

Yes Pintasia is working with suppliers. Zidware paid many past invoices. John said to me Monday that some open invoices are in dispute b/c of John giving them new product designs in exchange for a small run of parts. Then being billed for design time and parts, that were agreed to be an even exchange. There are two sides to some of the vendor stories. Why would John or Bill have to explain all those details to you, personally. Let the guessing begin...

Any last-minute deal cut with an insolvent company is going to be scrutinized, and the art and theme are intellectual property assets of an insolvent company, regardless of how Pintasia Designs Inc has characterized its recent agreement with Zidware Inc. There are laws in place in the United States regarding insolvency and fraudulent conveyances that govern this. They can easily be navigated through by simply following certain procedures: e.g., full disclosure, public notice, competitive bidding, and valuable consideration. Unfortunately, it appears that none of those procedures have been followed.

That's why John Popadiuk and Bill Brandes should have to explain those details, not to anyone personally, but to the creditors of the insolvent company, because those creditors actually have first claim on the assets. There should be no guessing here. The creditors deserve full disclosure, and the law requires it.

Quoted from dgarrett:

customer deposits are unsecured creditors, unpaid taxes of fed, state or property take senior priority.

That's not true. The priority for customer deposit claims [Priority 7] is actually senior to tax claims [Priority 8].

Quoted from Razorbak86:

Section 507(a)(7) of the Bankruptcy Code actually gives a 7th priority to "allowed unsecured claims of individuals, to the extent of $̶1̶,̶8̶0̶0̶ $2,775 for each such individual, arising from the deposit, before the commencement of the case, of money in connection with the purchase, lease, or rental of property, or the purchase of services, for the personal, family, or household use of such individuals, that were not delivered or provided." [11 U.S.C. §507(a)(7)]
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title11/html/USCODE-2011-title11-chap5-subchapI-sec507.htm
The initial $1,800 dollar amount in the original Bankruptcy Code has been increased numerous times over the years to compensate for inflation, and it was subsequently increased to $2,775 in 2013.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-02-21/html/2013-03998.htm
Pre-order customers who paid deposits would likely have their claims "bifurcated" (divided in two) into: (1) a priority unsecured claim of up to $2,775, and (2) a residual claim for the remainder, which would likely be classified as general unsecured. So the priority unsecured claim would likely be paid after all secured claims and some higher priority unsecured claims like administrative claims of lawyers/professionals in the case (Priority 2), and some wage & benefits claims of employees (Priorities 4 & 5), but before lower priority unsecured claims like taxes owed to governing bodies (Priority 8), and before general unsecured claims (e.g., trade vendors).

#13563 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

That's the past. I'm talking about the new the Pintasia deal people are negatively commenting about.
Oh, and I disagree about people being polite here. Lol.

Ha! - kudos for having your sense of humor intact after all this. Always nice to see.

#13564 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Everybody said the same thing about WOZ and weak flippers. That's all we heard for 6 months.

Flipper strength is the least of the game's worries right now; it's totally fixable

this isn't woz (an established company), this is a struggling pinball project trying to get buyers to plop down $16k. of course it's fixable, but wouldn't you want to be able to show all the shots?

#13565 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Flipper strength is the least of the game's worries right now; it's totally fixable.

Positive first impressions are everything in this particular case. Right now, weak flippers & skill shot hang-ups are working against that.

#13566 4 years ago

The ramp can be hit and made. The flippers ARE strong. Those are the LEAST of the issues you guys should be concerned about.

#13567 4 years ago

I was under the impression that without magnets, diverter assemblies, etc that the ball would simply always go down the one wiggle ramp. Are both ramps essentially non-functional in this "build"?? I wanted to see the wiggle return dammit

#13568 4 years ago

Just so many callouts to his old games. WCS shooter lane skill shot, Genie Lamp turned upside down on the L orbit, sounds like TOM mixed with TOTAN.

It's confounding and strange to watch this after all that has transpired.

Very floaty, plus you add in those annoying rollovers in the center...guh, sorry but, art aside, it looks pretty bad.

#13569 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

The ramp can be hit and made. The flippers ARE strong. Those are the LEAST of the issues you guys should be concerned about.

I have simple needs for this video lol... neither of the things you mentioned seem to be happening and it seems surprising considering the "volunteers" obvious emotions towards the project. Maybe it will happen during the actual show.

#13570 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Any last-minute deal cut with an insolvent company is going to be scrutinized, and the art and theme are intellectual property assets of an insolvent company, regardless of how Pintasia Designs Inc has characterized its recent agreement with Zidware Inc. There are laws in place in the United States regarding insolvency and fraudulent conveyances that govern this. They can easily be navigated through by simply following certain procedures: e.g., full disclosure, public notice, competitive bidding, and valuable consideration. Unfortunately, it appears that none of those procedures have been followed.
That's why John Popadiuk and Bill Brandes should have to explain those details, not to anyone personally, but to the creditors of the insolvent company, because those creditors actually have first claim on the assets. There should be no guessing here. The creditors deserve full disclosure, and the law requires it.

That's not true. The priority for customer deposit claims [Priority 7] is actually senior to tax claims [Priority 8].

Razorback - you are missing something - this is all quoted from a case and the key word is LIKELY not certainty.

#13571 4 years ago

I enjoy spinners, but not as a dead center shot. The spinning sound effects will get old and annoying really quick.

#13572 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Just so many callouts to his old games. WCS shooter lane skill shot, Genie Lamp turned upside down on the L orbit, sounds like TOM mixed with TOTAN.
Very floaty, plus you add in those annoying rollovers in the center...guh, sorry but, art aside, it looks pretty bad.

Yup... has the semi-Arabic lilt to the music from TOTAN plus the "dramatic" (or at least the odd accent) of the woman in TOM.

Maybe not a bad thing but a little off putting if you are used to hearing the older titles I suppose.

#13573 4 years ago

Also need a video shot with room and overhead lights on. Play field is too dark and lighting too blue to really see anything.

#13574 4 years ago

Videos make it (gameplay) look like crap. Kind of like Woz video 3 years ago. IMO if we were seeing this footage 2 years ago it would still look like crap but we'd say it's still early. But now we're saying what the hell has John been doing for the last 2 years.

Can't blame the new guys I'm sure they have done the best with what they had to work with.

Now we know why John was reluctant to post his own videos of the game.

#13575 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Glad to see this get finished, but..
Both videos, the ball seems to get hung up in the shooter lane
Flippers not only weak, but it's floaty (which means the angle isn't very steep), so they're REALLY weak

THe shooter lane hangup is simply because than blue metal was a last minute "cut to length" that was too short. It should extend further so the ball isn't hung up there.

Plus the PF angle is very low - in our test, the shooter lane worked fine at 6 degrees - it looks like the levelers have been set to around 2 degrees.

Yes the flipper coils are weak, on purpose. You don't want strong flippers bashing and breaking things (see the WoZ comment). Stronger coils in production, and slight adjustment in length of that blue metal flap. We discussed as we assembled MOn and Tues - its not final.

#13576 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

this isn't woz (an established company)

JJP has a single game out in 5 years of business.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

of course it's fixable, but wouldn't you want to be able to show all the shots?

Of course you would want to be able to show all your shots, but Pintasia has been around for what, three weeks???

It's a slapped together demo - but I'd rather see 1/2 working demo, than nothing at all.

#13577 4 years ago

It appears the spelling of "Theatre of Magic" tm was altered to "Theater of Magic"
PPS would have easily been able to collect damages for unauthorized use of trademark wms/bally assets.

2015-06-06-13-06-30.png 2015-06-06-13-08-21.png
#13578 4 years ago

Looks more like "Theater of magig". I just would have called it "magic post", or nothing, and avoided copyright risk altogether.

#13579 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

THe shooter lane hangup is simply because than blue metal was a last minute "cut to length" that was too short. It should extend further so the ball isn't hung up there.
Plus the PF angle is very low - in our test, the shooter lane worked fine at 6 degrees - it looks like the levelers have been set to around 2 degrees.
Yes the flipper coils are weak, on purpose. You don't want strong flippers bashing and breaking things (see the WoZ comment). Stronger coils in production, and slight adjustment in length of that blue metal flap. We discussed as we assembled MOn and Tues - its not final.

so in the video shown the pitch is at 2 degrees and the flippers are set low? Just asking to clarify what I'm looking at as the flippers and pitch both seem fine.

#13580 4 years ago

From the extended video the game is looking pretty cool, but yes we need to see a video of a player hitting all the shots especially the ramps.

#13581 4 years ago

It's here. Last minute tuning but it's at the show

20150606_095750.jpg
#13582 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Image loading is disabled in your settings. un-hide20150606_095750.jpg

Quoted from jrivelli:

Image loading is disabled in your settings. un-hide20150606_095750.jpg

oh shit, no coin mechs. now Pintasia is totally f'd.

#13583 4 years ago

They really need to fix the flippers, because now its looks like another WOZ rip off that is has no flow at all. And doenst the playfield need to be more steeper ? It looks really slow.

#13584 4 years ago

John , it is so crazy that you did not build 1 pinball? ONE!!?? there is shit in your shop all over the place! just pick up all the shit and screw together a pinball machine? 4 [email protected] years?!
You were my favorite designer,now you will be remembered as a fruit!

How the hell could you do this? this is super crazy and you are all casual about it in your "money gone" letter?

If you don't think this is crazy, then you wouldn't recognize crazy, if Charles Manson was eating fruitloops on your front porch!

#13585 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Yes the flipper coils are weak, on purpose. You don't want strong flippers bashing and breaking things

Every time I see this sorry excuse trotted out at a show I just shake my head.

First of all, if your game is so badly designed that normal strength flippers that can make the shots as they're meant to are going to break your game over the course of a weekend then the game is badly done. I get that it's a prototype, never the less, this is pinball. You're hurtling a 1 1/16" steel ball around inside it, it's gotta deal with that fact, or it's useless.

Secondly, this is your one chance to wow people. So really? Turn the flippers down and don't bother to level and pitch the pin for the video you know everyone is going to scrutinize? It makes no sense.

Risk chipping a plastic guys, this is your moment to show the game. You're not going to get another like this. Set the pitch right, turn the flippers up right, and let it play or not, as the case may be. Otherwise all this effort to get it there was wasted.

#13586 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

First of all, if your game is so badly designed that normal strength flippers that can make the shots as they're meant to are going to break your game over the course of a weekend then the game is badly done. I get that it's a prototype, never the less, this is pinball. You're hurtling a 1 1/16" steel ball around inside it, it's gotta deal with that fact, or it's useless.
Secondly, this is your one chance to wow people. So really? Turn the flippers down and don't bother to level and pitch the pin for the video you know everyone is going to scrutinize? It makes no sense.
Risk chipping a plastic guys, this is your moment to show the game. You're not going to get another like this. Set the pitch right, turn the flippers up right, and let it play or not, as the case may be. Otherwise all this effort to get it there was wasted.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. Go for broke... literally. It will already be underwhelming having just one ramp shot with one return but if nobody can even hit that??? The video didn't exactly amp up the excitement.

#13587 4 years ago

I realize that people volunteered a lot of time to get this game to the show, which was awesome, but who is going to work on this from here on out? Is everyone quitting their day jobs? Also is this the only chance that people are going to get to play the game before the end of the month deadline?

#13588 4 years ago

We need to see some ramp action. Even if the balls are pushed up the ramps by hand.

The colors look fine to me in video.

#13589 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well said.

I might add:

Day late and a dollar short

Too little too late

Put your best foot forward

#13590 4 years ago

Is it possible John stopped paying applesauce before the code to tweak flipper strength was written?

#13591 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I believe it, Bill is really giving this a shot and has a 100% shareholder control and motivation to recoup his up to $100k. I went through the math in a post a few days ago - it takes 149 games or so for Bill to break even. He will make money if the plan works, but it will take months

facepalm.jpg

He has a half-finished prototype, there's legal action all over the place, his deal with JPop is as "top secret" as Zidware's normal dealings, his first attempt to negotiate with customers was to have them waive any and all liability to proceed further, there are reports he has business associates who have a shady past, there are tons of disgruntled and ripped off suppliers, and you think an estimate like that holds water?

Honestly, I'm not trying to rain on y'alls parade. I'm just pointing out that you guys are, once again, marching towards a cliff, with your heads in the clouds and not looking realistically at the road ahead.

#13592 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

If you don't think this is crazy, then you wouldn't recognize crazy, if Charles Manson was eating fruitloops on your front porch!

Now that's funny and on target, I don't care what anyone else says.

#13593 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

facepalm.jpg
He has a half-finished prototype, there's legal action all over the place, his deal with JPop is as "top secret" as Zidware's normal dealings, his first attempt to negotiate with customers was to have them waive any and all liability to proceed further, there are reports he has business associates who have a shady past, there are tons of disgruntled and ripped off suppliers, and you think an estimate like that holds water?
Honestly, I'm not trying to rain on y'alls parade. I'm just pointing out that you guys are, once again, marching towards a cliff, with your heads in the clouds and not looking realistically at the road ahead.

Plus he's pricing this at 2x the cost of MMR.

It's like they're saying what's the absolute maximum anyone would pay for the number one pinball of all time? Then double that amount for an unproven one ramp pin.

Sounds normal.

#13594 4 years ago

So who really needs to be "convinced" or "WOWed" by MG at this point?

It doesn't seem like it's the folks already IN on MG- they are hostage to the situation regardless.

But, if it's really NEW money (and lots of it) that it would take to salvage this thing, it would seem it's the folks NOT previously emotionally vested in the project that need to be convinced, right?. People that will weigh this purchase against other upcoming options (TH, Star Wars, GOT, TBL, AFMr, JJP 3, etc).

Or is it enough to convince all the AI and RAZA folks?

I'm just wondering what "success" looks like for this reveal?

#13595 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

I'd like to take this opportunity to coin a new pinball term:

"Purplewood" - (n) 'purp-el-wood - A prototype similar to a "whitewood" but with more completed graphics, lights and superficialities instead of game mechanics and ruleset. A "whitewood" game is "flippable" but often without graphics, but does show the majority of the game's mechanical devices. A "purplewood" by comparison, looks like a finished game, but often doesn't have even half of the actual game mechanical devices installed or operational.

#13596 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry but this is COMPLETE BS! He is not giving you a damn thing. He is lieing and telling you there is zero money with John (we know this is a lie since the shop is still open and John has yet to declare banckruptcy).

Again more BS. You are drinking this koolaid way too concentrated and you now have personal vested interest in this so are just another mouthpiece for the lies. JPOP still has his studio and still has some amount of cash. just STOP with the lies of no cash unless !

Alright - enough!. I'm done with you. You are making stuff up now, man - you need to stop. You claim there is money. Past posts said 300k or 900k or other #'s - you claim you haven't seen the books - so what's your number based on? Libel and slander are crimes too.

Including this post - I count 14 posts saying , get out now, call your lawyer. Made your point - please stop repeating it.

Stop the repeated threats of baseball bats, showing up at the shop, "make his life a living hell" - how many violations of pinside rules does it take to lose your pinside access? None of these were softened with "just kidding" or sarcasm emoticons.

Finally, I will say it again, I have no personal vested interest. I have no pre-order, I just volunteered some time (alot of time) earlier this week to get the game in the van with PDX so Bill/Pintasia has a chance to show it, and owners have a chance to see it.

Your calling me a liar, more mouthpiece for lies, etc. is stupid. Grow up. You need to STOP.
I'm not going to hi-jack the thread any longer, or argue with a guy who makes pinside more of a crappy place than RGP.
My conclusion is to push the ignore button, I suggest you do the same and chill out from threats and legal advice.

Sorry for the detour guys.

#13597 4 years ago

I think you guys are all going hypercritical on this.

This may be your only chance to see this prototype. Enjoy it for what it is.

When you are in CA and you get your one chance to play Wizard Blocks - don't complain that it's only 10% complete. Enjoy it for what it is.

#13598 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Plus he's pricing this at 2x the cost of MMR.

Well to be fair Premium MG machines are gonna very limited affairs. Still ultra limited or not I do get that 16K is a fuck ton of money to throw at a pinball machine no matter how nice it is. My recommendation would be to try to lower the price down even more for the Premiums to maybe around 13K and have the standards priced competitively with games like Big Lewbowski and The Hobbit. These games need to be competitive price wise.

#13599 4 years ago

As a recap in case people didn't see my previous posts over the last few weeks. The code running on the Mg proto is code I wrote up til May 2014, at which point I was forced to stop due to non payment of invoices.

There are plenty of features and items written, as previously described inc ramps, locks ,multiball etc, but it is not complete. I'm sure you'll see more videos as the weekend progresses. I'd let people there feedback and see what the comments are.

For people there be sure to have a good look over everything code wise including all the system service mode stuff written to.

#13600 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

My car cost half the price of Magic Girl.

My car cost ALL the price of a Magic Girl. New '07 Sentra was 16k out the door when all was said and done. And you can't hit the drive-thru at 2am with a pinball game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chatham, MA
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 272 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside