(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 270 of 491.
#13451 8 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

the dude must have had a lot of pull

He could definitely pull something.

#13452 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm going to put it more delicately than Ben, but what's up with the colored GI? And is the backbox RGB that just happens to be constantly on purple or is that color of the strips?
Why would you take Jeremy's work, blow out all the contrast in the name of constant oversaturation, and then compound that by killing any chance of the details appearing by washing it out all out with colored lights? Not hard to fix the GI, I'd like to know more about the backbox lighting though. Would look so much better with cool white lighting letting the art speak for itself.

Yea, there are some serious lighting issues with the game. Why not use RGB lighting in it in the first place? If you really want to make an "artistic" pinball machine, the first thing to do would be to use cheaper and more-popular surface mount RGB lighting and really accentuate the design. It's as if the lighting was merely an afterthought in the design, and all the LEDs stick out like sore thumbs through the inserts, and light everything horribly uneven.

#13453 8 years ago

I also read about how a whole lot of Crazy money$ went into Capcom's Zingy Blingy prototytpe & the anatomical dolls in the backglass & that Python somehow self authorized the funding for that , the dude must have had a lot of pull

I'm of the (outsider's) opinion he killed Capcom.

#13455 8 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

from what I have read about it I can partially agree... the crazy amount of money$ wasted on Zingy Bingy prototype was coupled with their piss poor decision around the same time to go into production with & release flipper football in place of ready to go BBB or Kingpin sealed their fate

#13456 8 years ago
Quoted from Revo76:

Remember how soft the GI lighting was from WOZ.
Those 5050 led's are only good to light from top to bottom.
Not from the underside of the playfield.
There are bulbs made with 5050 leds and they are good.
Took a long time, but they are getting there

That GI lighting can be software manipulated to be as soft or hard as desired. It's far superior to the old 555s and 47s and if done right, more fault-tolerant and reliable. Plus you can put any kind of bezel over the lighting if you want. There's very little thought into the lighting in this machine - it looks like an old pinball machine poorly retrofitted with bad LEDs.

This goes to demonstrate another of the many areas where JPop didn't really know what he was doing, and didn't bring in an expert who could have done a better job.

#13457 8 years ago

Back from coaching my daughters tee ball game... what'd I miss?
Oh - and here's what's hiding up top of the playfield under all that stuff...

topPF.jpgtopPF.jpg
closePFwiz.jpgclosePFwiz.jpg

For the record - much of the typography here was NOT by me... I did 'Wizard Ball' in this section

#13458 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Back from coaching my daughters tee ball game... what'd I miss?
topPF.jpg

Who would know Yeti? I've got 3 girls, I feel your pain

And yet, they have me wrapped and always will

#13459 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

You sort of are.
Anyway, I can dig it out tomorrow, old chap. No problem. RAZA as well as MG. I'm outside in the jacuzzi currently
But why is it so important? You've asked me several times. It's not as if I have #1, which I guess I would remember! Frankly the number of something that will never happen, is dead, and was always vapourware isn't terribly important.

Old Chap - classic

#13460 8 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Old Chap - classic

I know.... I was thinking Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

#13461 8 years ago

Wow!! & I also read about how a whole lot of Crazy money$ went into Capcom's Zingy Blingy prototytpe & the anatomical dolls in the backglass & that Python somehow self authorized the funding for that , the dude must have had a lot of pull

#13462 8 years ago

Wow!! & I also read about how a whole lot of Crazy money$ went into Capcom's Zingy Blingy prototytpe & the anatomical dolls in the backglass & that Python somehow self authorized the funding for that , the dude must have had a lot of pull

// Error: Image 413262 not found //
#13463 8 years ago

Me and Louie are hanging out by the pool right now

He is cat number 4. My oldest daughter brought him home from college.

I have Max, Jake, Benny and now Louie. WTF

image.jpgimage.jpg
#13464 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pinball Circus cost $1.5 Million to prototype in 1993 dollars - that would be $2.4 Million today.

Now it's a contest.

John took in roughly 1.2 million by all accounts.

Bill spent 100k to get this to the show and it's still early.

Pinball circus has 2 games and is more complete than this. If we use John's capability of getting this done index, then this is probably another 2 million away from being done. Just sayin yinz

#13465 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pinball Circus cost $1.5 Million to prototype in 1993 dollars - that would be $2.4 Million today.

Now it's a contest.

John took in roughly 1.2 million by all accounts.

Bill spent 100k to get this to the show and it's still early.

Pinball circus has 2 games and is more complete than this. If we use John's capability of getting this done index, then this is probably another 2 million away from being done. Just sayin yinz

#13466 8 years ago

I've got 5 16 oz'ers down from the fridge and the one in my hand plus a handful from the garage gameroom already down, which is where I'm heading now for the stream and playing pinball.

. Man I love it when I get a little break!!!

16 oz'ers is the only way to go.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#13467 8 years ago

Someone should check on iceman. I mean seriously.....

Quoted from iceman44:

Wife and kids went to New York City
I'm gonna play a lotta pinball tonight
I'm gonna watch a lot of the show stream
And I'm probably gonna drink a case of beer!
As if it was ever a possibility, I won't be paying 16k for a pin of 199
The way I look at it now, I saved 17k minus about $4500 in total deposit money lost
I feel lucky to get out of this not pulling two hamstrings from grabbing my ankles for 4 years

#13468 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've got 5 16 oz'ers down from the fridge and the one in my hand plus a handful from the garage gameroom already down, which is where I'm heading now for the stream and playing pinball.
. Man I love it when I get a little break!!!

image.jpg

Where the pinball? they should be lined around that oasis

#13469 8 years ago

Bump to the top for a good seller.

#13470 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

^

#13471 8 years ago

Joining in with a Grey Goose and Pineapple...

#13472 8 years ago
Quoted from Gomer1969:

Where the pinball? they should be lined around that oasis

For rookies.

Bombers are the way to go.
#rollingondueces
#22s

#13473 8 years ago

Max. This MFer is the cat King

He runs the entire neighborhood herd.

He is 100x smarter than Popadeauce

He has had a long day so I gave him a break. Just taking a nap before nightly patrol

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13474 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

image.jpg

Im sure Max wouldn't dream of designing a "Pussycat Bowling" pin.....and he's a cat!

P.S....I prefer "Poopadeauce".

#13475 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Beautiful. Seems shameful to cover up any of your art with the workings of a pinball machine. Thanks for sharing.

#13476 8 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

That Japanese president of Capcom was apparently not amused when he saw it on his tour of the Chicago facility. It wasn't long after that before the doors got locked. According to some, just a matter of a few days.

#13477 8 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Im sure Max wouldn't dream of designing a "Pussycat Bowling" pin.....and he's a cat!
P.S....I prefer "".

I hear ya and have to all settle on something.

EDITED, names removed.

#13478 8 years ago

nice pop bumper caps !!!

#13479 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Max. This MFer is the cat King
He runs the entire neighborhood herd.
He has had a long day so I gave him a break. Just taking a nap before nightly patrol
image.jpg

that cat is definately cute.

#13480 8 years ago

door_hazza_shad.pngdoor_hazza_shad.png

#13481 8 years ago

#13482 8 years ago

I've no skin in this game but I will be at the show in the morning. If it'd there and playable, I'll be taking videos.

#13484 8 years ago

Ok well since I'm mentioned in this thread I guess I'll post some info that I know. First off I'm the guy that's on the left side of MG in the picture with PDXMonkey, I know a lot of you and am very good friends with guys like Pdx, Fattrain and Rarehero. I've been doing Coinop over 16 years and I work as a tech and operator. Just so I'm clear I have no vested interest in this project, not a dime invested. That being said a bunch of my friends do and some are payed in full on more then MG.

I don't want to make light of this situation it's bad, tons of people have been burned by Jpop and for that I'm sorry.

I myself have not picked sides nor do I want to, example pintasia or the owners who got burned, what I have done is chosen to put whatever I can with my talents to help the game where it currently stands to move forward.

Here is what I can say I'm not gonna dwell on what Jpop did that's not gonna help the current situation, I'm also not gonna comment on my posts in this thread from months back,what will that do to help the current situation? If owners who have been burned wish to dwell on it more power to you, I've got no problem with that and if you are not on board with the current people and what they are trying to do I also understand 100% where you are coming from, losing 100.00 is not fun, losing thousands of dollars is a very hard thing to go through no matter how it happens.

So let me move forward to where I'm at right now, I met Bill at Pin a Go Go and found out what his plan was for the current status of this project. It sounded good from what he explained and I commened him on trying to help.

Yesterday I was scheduled to fly up to Seattle from California on the 8am flight, got up at 5am found out my flight was canceled and didn't get into town till after 4pm. I was getting off the plane when my phone went off and it was PDXmonkey and I found out he was in route to Seattle, currently in Idaho on a 2 day drive from Chicago with MG in a van rented by Bill to get the game to the Seattle show in time for everyone to see it. PDXMonkey had slept a total of 2hrs and 45min in 2 days and said it didn't matter he needed to get the game there. He asked me if I'd be around to help him work on the game to get it ready for the show.

I'm not gonna go into every detail about what the game needed when it finally arrived at 10pm but me and Monkey and a few others worked on it till 5am as the sun started to rise!

The game at this point was shooting well and working, is it a shiny diamond ready to go into production no it's not, does it have tons of working magic tricks no it doesn't but that's not Bill's fault nor Monkeys or anybody else it's the fault of the guy who mislead everyone for many years.

I will tell you all this it flows well like a typical Jpop game it has many representations of all 4 of his previous titles and there is some code there that actually does stuff. Is it finished no it's not does it have a lot of potential in my opinion it does.

I agree that everyone was mislead and that sucks, I also think that going forward I'm on board to help the current team with my experience if they need me and I hope things take a turn for the positive after this weekend. If you see me at the show this weekend and have never met me feel free to come over and introduce yourself. I also have no problem sitting down in person with anybody and telling you what I helped on MG in the short time I worked on it to get it shooting for this weekends show.

I hope this at least answers a few questions on who I am and what I was involved with.

Joe(acejedi)

#13485 8 years ago

Thx for all of your help Joe along with everybody else that is pitching in.

It's a great effort.

At least we get to see a MG in all its glory.

And I don't know how to thank whomever or what to say after this weekend.

It is what it is.

#13486 8 years ago

Heh, come a long way from sharing iPhone pics of the game at Arcade Expo, right Joe?

#13487 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

(if that went over the line mods feel free to edit that or eject me for a while) . It's just an

lol I was thinking too. I'd like to make that work, but I feel it needs something... so close, yet so far ....

#13488 8 years ago

Wow I cant Believe I trusted this Guy John that I never even met in person .......but I did & I thought he really had all those tricks in this game figured out? ..& even more for the following games? ....... my bad for BELIEVE in ZAP ....

#13489 8 years ago

Bill, PDX, whomever else is working on MG tonight.... I suggest you shoot your best video right now and post it before it goes on the floor tomorrow. If you want to present it in it's best light, then jump ahead of the show and post a video right now.

#13490 8 years ago

I agree with Frolic. You won't hear the call outs and music with all the other background noise. You also don't know how well the pin will hold up. If it breaks in the first hour, you are dead in the water.

#13491 8 years ago

From day one I never doubted this would be a great looking game. It's the game play I have little confidence in. Nothing about the layout intrigues me. Seeing it lit up it just looks like a jumbled mess with awesome artwork. I'm sure there are dozens of home brew designs in PinMAME that are more polished and deserve to be made more.

I'm waiting for someone at the show to say the layout plays like butter and has some real gratifying shots...not holding my breath, but I would love to be wrong.

#13492 8 years ago

Bill/PDX 2016! Heroes and pioneers whose names will go down in history along side the likes of Davy Crockett and Neal Armstrong!

#13493 8 years ago
Quoted from joestro78:

Bill/PDX 2016! Heroes and pioneers whose names will go down in history along side the likes of Davy Crockett and Neal Armstrong!

I'd suggest renaming MG LE to MGHE "Magic Girl - Hero's Edition".

#13494 8 years ago

As much as I dislike the app pariscope someone should get on that tomorrow and give us a live feed of the game in action.

#13495 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

That Japanese president of Capcom was apparently not amused when he saw it on his tour of the Chicago facility. It wasn't long after that before the doors got locked. According to some, just a matter of a few days.

I heard Capcom was 60 million in the hole.

#13496 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Bill spent 100k to get this to the show

I want to see those receipts.. I don't believe that. Did he pay off a bunch of shorted suppliers?

There are all kinds of crazy claims here that don't make sense, with all due respect.

Who here wants to make this game and blow a half million to a million of their own money, to ultimately redeem JPop? Because that's exactly what people are hoping for. Someone is going to lose their butt producing a game that, by all accounts is "state of the art" circa 1997.

#13497 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I heard Capcom was 60 million in the hole.

Yeah, Python can't be the real reason. It would have been cool if they'd put out Big Bang Bar instead of Flipper Football, but it wouldn't have changed anything really. It was just poor timing on their part to try and break in as pinball was dying back. It's too bad, lots of smart ideas.

#13498 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I want to see those receipts.. I don't believe that. Did he pay off a bunch of shorted suppliers?
There are all kinds of crazy claims here that don't make sense, with all due respect.

Most of it went towards the license for that owl figurine.

#13499 8 years ago

haters-gonna-hate.jpghaters-gonna-hate.jpg

#13500 8 years ago

mmmm alright sweet 300 posts since this morning and not a single clip of gameplay..and I sure as hell ain't reading them all.

tomorrow? someone please tell me tomorrow?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 270 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/270 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.