(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 253 of 487.
#12601 4 years ago

I have been trying to keep up with this thread and there is something that I haven't seen anyone bring up that could be very concerning to the future of pinball. Yes, even more concerning than fraudsters walking away with millions of collector's dollars.

We all know that JPop went crazy with patents early on. I don't know exactly how many he puchased with pre-order money. The big question I have is whether John's ownership of these patents could ever be in jeopardy. Would he not still hold these patents even if he went completely bankupt??

I had seen the details of some of these and I was expecting to see these devices being used in John's games. Now that the games are out in the open, I'm not really seeing that. My point is, I wonder if his hope is to cash in on these patents when other manufacturers try to use similar devices in future pinball machines! Could he have just 'carpet bombed' every concept he could think of in order to block progress and profit more from the industry?

#12602 4 years ago

So the $16k price was only for people getting a refund. In other words inflate the price to compensate for the refund. MG pre owner might just need to pitch in $4k or Raza owner pitch in $9500.

No one was pitching in $16k of new money, that's a fantasy.

Funny the main buyers for this pin have already been burned so John pissed off the very people who would have paid $16k, he killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Unbelievable how f-ed up John has made this project.

#12603 4 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

We all know that JPop went crazy with patents early on. I don't know exactly how many he puchased with pre-order money. The big question I have is whether John's ownership of these patents could ever be in jeopardy. Would he not still hold these patents even if he went completely bankupt??

I'm not sure how many patents he was actually granted. He has one for his cabinet design, but that is worthless as no one wants to copy his cabinet.

Any others he has would need to be defended, so it would involve more legal defense. That was always why they were so pointless, other than for ego reasons because he loved talking about them.

#12604 4 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I have been trying to keep up with this thread and there is something that I haven't seen anyone bring up that could be very concerning to the future of pinball. Yes, even more concerning than fraudsters walking away with millions of collector's dollars.
I had seen the details of some of these and I was expecting to see these devices being used in John's games. Now that the games are out in the open, I'm not really seeing that. My point is, I wonder if his hope is to cash in on these patents when other manufacturers try to use similar devices in future pinball machines! Could he have just 'carpet bombed' every concept he could think of in order to block progress and profit more from the industry?

An interesting point, but of the 26 patents held by John A Popadiuk, only 2 seem to be recent, so no carpet-bombing apparent:

Pinball machine cabinet
US D689557 S1
https://www.google.com/patents/usd689557

Display for a Pinball Game
US 20130147111 A1
https://www.google.com/patents/us20130147111

Assuming I haven't missed anything, I don't think he has much value with these (that other companies would pay to use), although some of the designs related to the display look interesting.

#12605 4 years ago

Doesn't Pinball 2000 already do this?:

What is claimed is:
1. A pinball game, comprising:
an inclined playfield configured to support a rolling ball and a plurality of game play elements;
a video display provided proximal to the playfield;
at least one sensor provided proximal to the video display; and
a processor arrangement provided in communication with the at least one sensor and the video display;
wherein the at least one sensor is configured to detect at least one of contact with or proximity to the ball, and to generate a signal based on such detection; and
wherein the processor arrangement is configured to receive the signal and cause at least one graphical element to be displayed proximal to the at least one sensor based on the signal.

#12606 4 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

My guess is John had a couple patents he held personally, and then could charge Zidware a fee every time it used it at any rate he wanted. Another way to suck money from the corp. into his personal accounts that would stand up as legitimate in court.

#12607 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

from what I understand the center swirly ramp will be for looks only in its NW show incarnation ..... they said its in there but no time for diverters to be installed & sorted out & they are not even sure yet how said ramp was supposed to function exactly

Holy cow. How can this be true? Were those hot glued foamcore and plastic ramps just for show? How could we get to this point without anyone ever shooting them? Isn't the whole point of doing things up in Nordmanite so that you can tweak it easily if the geometry isn't quite working? Hell PDXMonkey played it a mere few weeks before this thing went nuclear, and reportedly paid for the ramps to be made himself, so he had to have seen the concept working, right?

I gotta believe that this isn't true, because Pintasia is betting everything on this show. I'm not sure how anyone could flip it with the only ramp (and main central feature) blocked off and walk away with a good impression of the game beyond saying "it's pretty". That isn't going to save the project. You can evaluate a game with anemic code (see TBL, Woz at early shows, etc), but how do you even evaluate the basics of how a game shoots if one of the main features isn't shootable?

#12608 4 years ago

People were asking why Bill would take this on.

He might be altruistic, but logically it makes more sense that he saw this as the only opportunity to get his Magic Girl free and clear. That least that's what makes the most sense to me - more than someone doing a million dollar favor for the pinball community.

I guess we'll see this weekend!

#12609 4 years ago

Don't worry about breaking any patents. He probably wouldn't persue them, and any paperwork mailed to you, just ignore them since they were "annoying you".

#12610 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

He might be altruistic, but logically it makes more sense that he saw this as the only opportunity to get his Magic Girl free and clear. That least that's what makes the most sense to me - more than someone doing a million dollar favor for the pinball community.

What? Getting his MG for free? He's getting the last MG produced and the one going to the show is not going home with him. Why would he want this game free and clear anyways? It's not done or in a fun keeper stage

Try not to be so instantly cynical about Bill people. He has one hell of a task. No need to see him as a savior either. Let's sit tight for a few here and let him get to work.

Two options right?
1. Go after Jpop and probably get pennies. Heck, maybe lose money with legal fees
2. Let bill give this a shot and maybe we get a game made. The money from game #2 and #3 go towards MG 1 and can apply to your game #2 and game #3, if those get made and you'd rather wait.

That seems like a better shot than leaving it with Jpop who we have seen didn't seem to intend to get this project finished ever. There are people coming together to get this project completed. Another pinsider has volunteered to finish up the programming. While I fully get the frustration with everyone else, I say we try not to sabotage this, if possible.

#12611 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Free and clear? What about his pre-order money? And nothing is 'free and clear' when a bankruptcy is looming and clearly on the horizon when a deal is done. His best bet is simply 'possession is 9/10ths...'

#12612 4 years ago

Ok let's try and stick a fork in the Bill tries to keep the MG pin for himself after the show idea.

I'll bet anyone $1,000 right now that he doesn't do that and I'll give you 3-1 odds!

Any takers? I'll also do the standard case of beer bet. RD?

#12613 4 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Holy cow. How can this be true? Were those hot glued foamcore and plastic ramps just for show? How could we get to this point without anyone ever shooting them? Isn't the whole point of doing things up in Nordmanite so that you can tweak it easily if the geometry isn't quite working? Hell PDXMonkey played it a mere few weeks before this thing went nuclear, and reportedly paid for the ramps to be made himself, so he had to have seen the concept working, right?
I gotta believe that this isn't true, because Pintasia is betting everything on this show. I'm not sure how anyone could flip it with the only ramp (and main central feature) blocked off and walk away with a good impression of the game beyond saying "it's pretty". That isn't going to save the project. You can evaluate a game with anemic code (see TBL, Woz at early shows, etc), but how do you even evaluate the basics of how a game shoots if one of the main features isn't shootable?

Here is what I read from the owners blog/////// posted by Bill Brandes: Jim the area inside the ramp will be decorative as there was no way completing this toy in time or diverters etc off ramps. In fact going through all this stuff is not very clear at all. We haven't got the final "purpose" of the center and how ramps/balls were to mingle. It is one baby step at a time and John keeps his cards close to his chest. Perhaps you can lend some insight as "forcing" anything out of Jpop at this time is very well lets say challenging //////// so maybe the ramp is shootable but they are talking about the toy in the center Jynx ?? I think he was called ?

#12614 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The miracle at the show could be that it kicks ass and blows everybody away and somehow they are able to get 500 brand new MG orders at the show, hey that's only half of what MMr did at their announcement!

Oh terrific.....let's just flush an additional $500,000+ down this toilet.

#12615 4 years ago

Here is what I read from the owners blog/////// posted by Bill Brandes: Jim the area inside the ramp will be decorative as there was no way completing this toy in time or diverters etc off ramps. In fact going through all this stuff is not very clear at all. We haven't got the final "purpose" of the center and how ramps/balls were to mingle. It is one baby step at a time and John keeps his cards close to his chest. Perhaps you can lend some insight as "forcing" anything out of Jpop at this time is very well lets say challenging //////// so maybe the ramp is shootable but they are talking about the toy in the center Jynx ?? I think he was called ?

if John is still unwilling to help to even explain how the game is suppose to work he is a bigger POS than originally thought. MG is dead if they can't even figure out how the thing is suppose to work.

#12616 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

if John is still unwilling to help to even explain how the game is suppose to work he is a bigger POS than originally thought. MG is dead if they can't even figure out how the thing is suppose to work.

And yet he is a "consultant." Seems like that fell through...

#12617 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Holy cow, how come people were saying they played MG?

How come when I said John didn't even have a prototype after all these years, people said that's a lie? I'll need to find the quotes, but I said something like 'as far as I can tell John has dick to show', and other people said 'that's not true, he's had a prototype for a long while'.

My point (no inside information) but just the fact John wouldn't show any flipping game so I assumed he didn't have anything worth showing. And he's even farther behind on RAZA that's the sad part.

I'm sure he has some broke ass half game, but come on, you guys have seen Wooly which is a complete game, took less time and money than MG and MG still sounds like a broke ass half a prototype.

#12618 4 years ago

My impression is you shoot the ramp, and at the break point (since the ramp is in 2 pieces) a magnet can catch it mid-air (like left ramp of TOM) and then drops it into right squiggle return ramp.

Else you don't catch it, it keeps going and hits the end and drops into left squiggle ramp.

Meaning if no code, and it can actually make it up there, it will always goto end and return on left ramp.

Those ramps are going to return HELLA slow...

#12619 4 years ago

... so maybe the ramp is shootable but they are talking about the toy in the center Jynx ?? I think he was called ?

Another stroke of originality. Jinx, the name given to the prototype sculpture for Magic Girl recently for sale is the right outlane of Piball Magic. Jinx The Cat.

#12620 4 years ago

THANKS JOHN!

#12621 4 years ago

Hang in there buddy. Don't let John ruin it for you.

Quoted from pinballrockstar:

ALREADY SOLD 5 OF MY 13 PINS IN 3 DAYS! SICK OF THIS HOBBY! THANKS JOHN!
ALSO TOOK YOUR ZIDWARE WALL ART OF THE WALL,IT MAKES ME HURL !

#12622 4 years ago

Sorry, can't you enjoy pins aside from Pinside or JPop?

#12623 4 years ago

Not sure why you sold all of your pins based on this debacle? Super sucks, but take a break from reading this mess and enjoy playing the pins!

#12624 4 years ago

Any prototype that exists along with parts should be destroyed by fire so this ugliness can end and everyone move on.

Any effort to move this forward or make it a success ultimately will only stroke the ego of a dillusional thief. This vision and art of JP should NEVER be realized even if in a flimsy attempt to recoup some $.

Bridges burned... Throw what remains on the fire.

#12625 4 years ago
Quoted from Beemus:

Any prototype that exists along with parts should be destroyed by fire so this ugliness can end and everyone move on.
Any effort to move this forward or make it a success ultimately will only stroke the ego of a dillusional thief. This vision and art of JP should NEVER be realized even if in a flimsy attempt to recoup some $.
Bridges burned... Throw what remains on the fire.

If there was a fire, would the insurance company believe the contents of the shop were worth $1MILLION? Pretty good question.

#12626 4 years ago

Everyone must listen to spooky pinball released today. Charlie comments how this hurt the hobby, and the circus maximus take a dig at it.

#12627 4 years ago

I love pinball, all of a sudden i am at the roulette losing 6k?
To john popadiuk???

#12628 4 years ago

It's a kick in the balls, no getting around that. I try to be positive and think this lesson learned might save me from a bigger lesson down the road (bad investment, business deal, etc).

#12629 4 years ago

Anyone can be a thief. It takes some smarts to pull off insurance fraud and arson :p

#12630 4 years ago

It will be very enlightening if and when the time comes that the courts order John to disclose and substantiate all amounts paid to himself over the term of the project.

#12631 4 years ago

I am just so sick of this,this guy was legend to me guys..
I am just in pieces,how am i supposed to look at early mg wall art??
My hero took 6 grand off me?
Wait ... I feel a hurl coming.
I love pinball, all of a sudden i am at the roulette losing 6k?
To john popadiuk??? HELLO???what???

Well, if that 6k is towards a Magic Girl then the bright side is there is at least a chance it is getting made now.

Take down that MG wall art and put it away. You just never know, things sometimes work out great in the very end. This isn't looking too good, but hey never know....

#12632 4 years ago

As far as the patents, hard to even seeing them getting approved, they are so derivative of previous work. Even if approved he would then have to go after someone who he believed was violating it, and that takes big bucks and there is a good chance the patent won't hold up under scrutiny by the courts for the same reason as above.

#12633 4 years ago

Given the size of peoples investments, I would argue that John had a fiduciary duty to act in the buyers best interests, which he clearly has not. He also breached his fiduciary duty by demanding that everybody sign a legal document within a few days stating they won't sue, and if they didn't sign it he would file for bankruptcy and they would get nothing. That is a pretty serious criminal offense. Read up on fiduciary duty and the laws in your state regarding this.

#12634 4 years ago

"Breach of fiduciary duty is regarded as an extremely serious violation by the law, and this is reflected in the stringent remedial rules that are utilized in this area. The various rules seek to put beneficiaries in the position they would have been in had there not been a breach of fiduciary duty. Accordingly, any losses flowing from the breach, such as a loss of an investment, or physical and mental suffering flowing from sexual or other abuse, will be compensated for. As well, with a view to deterring breach of fiduciary duty, any improperly obtained profit will be remitted to the beneficiary. In addition, breaching fiduciaries are more likely to have punitive damages awarded against them than are ordinary defendants. Fiduciary obligations can continue even after the formal termination of any contractual relationship between the fiduciary and the beneficiary.

Fiduciary relationships arise from the reasonable expectations of the parties, often in circumstances where one person reasonably relies on the other to protect his or her interests. They frequently involve explicit or implicit undertakings by one party to look after the interests of the other. Even relationships where the parties are expected to pursue their own self-interest can, in appropriate circumstances, be fiduciary. There are several cases where banks have been regarded as fiduciaries of their customers. Usually fiduciaries have power or influence over the economic, legal or practical interests of beneficiaries, who are somewhat vulnerable."
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/law-of-fiduciary-obligation/

#12635 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

but there's a FORCE to be done on game four!

That's it. Game four is Force Ten From Navarone !

LTG : )™

#12636 4 years ago

/////// posted by Bill Brandes: Jim the area inside the ramp will be decorative as there was no way completing this toy in time or diverters etc off ramps. In fact going through all this stuff is not very clear at all. We haven't got the final "purpose" of the center and how ramps/balls were to mingle.

jesus...

Was this entire endeavor built around a name and pretty artwork??

Not even sure what the items on the pf even do?

What a clusterf@#$

#12637 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Charlie comments how this hurt the hobby

I've wondered about this.

From 1999 ( Williams closing ) a lot of people have worked hard to get pinball to where it is today.

No way to measure it. But this has had an effect on pinball.

LTG : (

#12638 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Was this entire endeavor built around a name and pretty artwork??

When I look at the picture of the playfield from the flipper point of view looking back. All I could think of was when CV was closed out.

LTG : (

#12639 4 years ago

I bet if zombieyeti made a "Jpop makes me hurl" shirt it would sell a lot. Like a guy with a pinside cap barfing into an empty MG cabinet.

Don't do it, though. Would hurt your future employment chances.

But it would sell a lot.

#12640 4 years ago

I dont know the laws or specifics on fiduciary duty (concept I get), however, if all the money is gone and there is no accounting for where it went, isnt that embezzlement? I would also presume there is a fair amount of fraud in all this as well, regardless of how this all pans out, if the people with skin in the game dont get a full refund or the game, I would hope there would be considerable jail time at the very least. His sullied reputation is hardly justice.

#12641 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yes, we remember from the last time you floated this theory (in this very thread):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=fantasygoat#post-2475944

oh, and of course the time before that (also in this thread):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tu=fantasygoat#post-2472362

I hope you'll take iceman44 up on his $1k bet (or at least the case of beer -- though with Canadian beer prices you're probably better off with a straight cash bet!) It would certainly keep things interesting.

#12642 4 years ago

Sensitive much?? Step back and enjoy your pins, John is just a minor blip on the overall pinball radar.

#12643 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

If there was a fire, would the insurance company believe the contents of the shop were worth $1MILLION? Pretty good question.

Great idea

Hopefully John will read this.........

#12644 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I hope you'll take iceman44 up on his $1k bet (or at least the case of beer -- though with Canadian beer prices you're probably better off with a straight cash bet!) It would certainly keep things interesting.

I might be persuaded to bet that no one gets games. That seems the most likely outcome.

#12645 4 years ago

Christ.... did you sell your caplock button too? Buy that back- you'll need it at some point....

#12646 4 years ago

AND DONT FORGET TO UPDATE YOUR LISTED COLLECTION! IT STILL SAYS 13!

Just sayin.

#12647 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm in the same boat, overall soured on the hobby right now. Between this shitshow and Jack acting like a secretive d-bag about the delays on Hobbit (another pre-order I have) I'm just fed up. I don't even want to look at the ToTAN or CV that I own. I have half a mind to burn them in the Zidware parking lot to show John what I really think of him. I'm closer to liquidating my collection and getting out of the hobby than I have ever been. Just has not been fun for a while now. Sad!

Quoted from Shrub_Light:

I'm feeling the same way, except I have no Jpop pins to burn. I'm really trying to be patient thinking if I sell all of my pins I might regret it down the road. I can't even enjoy playing them anymore without thinking of the butt load of cash I literally threw away. It's sickening really.

I am just so sick of this,this guy was legend to me guys..
I am just in pieces,how am i supposed to look at early mg wall art??
My hero took 6 grand off me?
Wait ... I feel a hurl coming.

FWIW, the above quotes are very natural human reactions from people suffering a loss. Some people deal with losses better than others, but most people go through the same Five Stages of Grief [1]...

The Five Stages of Grief:

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression <---
5. Acceptance

-- Swiss Psychiatrist Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, 1969

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

Quoted from Roostking:

Sensitive much?? Step back and enjoy your pins, John is just a minor blip on the overall pinball radar.

In light of the above, maybe you should cut him a little slack?

Just my two cents.

#12648 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

John is just a minor blip on the overall pinball radar.

Based on that statement it's safe to assume that you didn't just lose thousands of dollars like many others in this thread.

I don't think they'd call it a "minor blip" by a long shot. I minor blip is something that would be quickly forgotten. This isn't it.

#12649 4 years ago

Ive long heard rumors of dev blogs that were available to deposit holders and that they were recently opened up with passwords removed. Anyone have any links?

#12650 4 years ago

True. I think many are still in the Anger stage. Lashing out is common. This is still an open wound and people want some kind of quick closure. And nothing with legal involvement is quick.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 253 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside