(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 491.
#1201 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

John needs to cut a deal with JJP. They need a designer and he needs production.
Ok problem solved! Happy times

I bet jacks reading this and shaking his head, and its not up and down lol

#1202 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

dug up the timeline from the owner's package.

Basically, we're 50% done the process, as outlined by the milestones.

We're somewhere around:

Playfield Whitewood
Software Start

Whitewood / Software Start is on the schedule as Q4 2012.

If I were still in on this, I would be livid that the only progress made to this point is a basic whitewood. I'm not even sure it's a flippable whitewood at this point?

Either way, a whitewood at this point in the timeline means it is 2 years behind schedule. How the hell does it take 3 years to do a basic whitewood?!? Yes, I know that other things are done as well like the cabinet, but still, this is really further behind schedule than I thought it would be.

The way I see it is that many RAZA owners are going to be watching very closely to see what JPop does with MG and his big "reveal" that is supposed to happen next month (December 2014). If that doesn't happen, the natives are going to get (more) restless.

If MG is revealed as a fully functioning pin and it blows everyone away, it will have a positive impact on what JPop is doing and give RAZA owners some level of confidence as well. Just how much confidence is another issue, since revealing a full working proto of MG is still a long way from producing and shipping RAZA.

#1203 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If MG is revealed as a fully functioning pin and it blows everyone away, it will have a positive impact on what JPop is doing and give RAZA owners some level of confidence as well.

That's basically what I'm holding onto.

1 month away.

#1204 9 years ago

IT's called, cranking it out. At this point, JPOP should be absolutely on the verge of a fatigue breakdown because of his 100+ hour work weeks. No more talking, no more designing, no more storyboards and art proofs. Pick something he has from a year ago and go with it.

Anything else is prolonging the agony of failure. GOod luck to those of you who have been buying his food, fuel and rent for a couple of years longer than you offered. Maybe he should send you all a parting gift of a fat tube of KY.

I'm never going to worship some guy whose name was on some nice pin from 20 years ago with 7 or 8 other people that actually made it happen. If Steve Ritchie promised a pin out of his garage in 2 years to everyone who ponied up 10 grand would you think he could do it as well? I'm just glad I never fell for any of this "pre-pay the master" bullshit or I'd be over there getting my money back in person.

You guys still waiting with baited breath are just lying to yourselves. The December reveal will be another total letdown.. I guarantee it. And to think how you all just shared his come-to-Jesus moment as if that meant anything at all. One big pile of remorseful BULSHIT does nothing to produce a couple hundred machines. It's all flat out dreamland nonsense to keep the suckers from suing him into bankruptcy.

At least that's my take as an impartial observer. Thanks for the entertainment.

#1206 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

IT's called, cranking it out. At this point, JPOP should be absolutely on the verge of a fatigue breakdown because of his 100+ hour work weeks. No more talking, no more designing, no more storyboards and art proofs. Pick something he has from a year ago and go with it.
Anything else is prolonging the agony of failure. GOod luck to those of you who have been buying his food, fuel and rent for a couple of years longer than you offered. Maybe he should send you all a parting gift of a fat tube of KY.
I'm never going to worship some guy whose name was on some nice pin from 20 years ago with 7 or 8 other people that actually made it happen. If Steve Ritchie promised a pin out of his garage in 2 years to everyone who ponied up 10 grand would you think he could do it as well? I'm just glad I never fell for any of this "pre-pay the master" bullshit or I'd be over there getting my money back in person.
You guys still waiting with baited breath are just lying to yourselves. The December reveal will be another total letdown.. I guarantee it. And to think how you all just shared his come-to-Jesus moment as if that meant anything at all. One big pile of remorseful BULSHIT does nothing to produce a couple hundred machines. It's all flat out dreamland nonsense to keep the suckers from suing him into bankruptcy.
At least that's my take as an impartial observer. Thanks for the entertainment.

Damn Sadsack is JPOP banging your old lady or something? Sounds like you have some pent up rage going on there brosef.... It's only pinball!

#1207 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Damn Sadsack is JPOP banging your old lady or something? Sounds like you have some pent up rage going on there brosef.... It's only pinball!

Its only pinball ... And $10k-$17k for a bunch of people

#1208 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Yea and I'm one of those people...
RAZA#54

#1209 9 years ago

Yea and I'm one of those people...
RAZA#54

After seeing inside what jack had to go through to get woz done I bailed. I Was raza #8

I feel bad for the group that still are waiting

#1210 9 years ago

I want him to finish but man the time frame is crazy now.

#1211 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Try $27k.

#1212 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

After seeing inside what jack had to go through to get woz done I bailed. I Was raza #8
I feel bad for the group that still are waiting

Yea it's been a long wait! I hope all the owners are rewarded with an incredible game in the end

#1213 9 years ago

Sad Sack

Quoted from lllvjr:

I want him to finish but man the time frame is crazy now.

We are all painfully aware of that!

#1214 9 years ago

To make matters worse, it looks like he is spending time and effort with other ventures.
http://www.pinballschool.org/index_start.html
$1895 for the course and he has listed the upcoming dates for the course sessions...

He was also listed as attending this function as a speaker. http://gamecenter.nyu.edu/practice/

Why isn't he spending this time finishing these games?

#1215 9 years ago

"All students will be required to sign an NDA"

#1216 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

"All students will be required to sign an NDA"

"All students will pay in full by 1 December 2014. Class will be in approx 2019"

rd.

#1217 9 years ago

Maybe this is the production line and the students will be paying to assemble the games for him?

#1218 9 years ago

They will get to see cabinets

#1219 9 years ago

Sorry for your loss........

#1220 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That's basically what I'm holding onto.
1 month away.

Sit back, take (or drink/smoke) a long one, and make the decision. "Am I in this for the game or not?" For quite a while now it has been pretty clear that Jpop is building boutique pins and is absolutely in NO hurry to turn them out. When he's happy with the details, he moves on, if not.... you get the posts on the blog revealing new free association in pinball toys. I've settled on the fact that I will "hopefully" receive a "one of a kind" pin... My wish is that it will be before I have to put it in my Assisted Living facility dayroom...

#1221 9 years ago

John just posted on the Blog that he is gunna do a full game reveal on RAZA the first week of January

#1222 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

To make matters worse, it looks like he is spending time and effort with other ventures.

This was his goal 3 years ago. I don't know how the man sleeps with all the time he devotes to pinball a week (plus I think he still does contract work for various companies including ICE). I think they need to remake the movie multiplicity with John.
multiplicity_parody.jpgmultiplicity_parody.jpg

#1223 9 years ago

John just posted on the Blog that he is gunna do a full game reveal on RAZA the first week of January

John is developing a real M.O. by throwing out a bone when the heat starts getting raised, but also using it as a way to ignore the questions asked of him on the blog.

I'm not sure if this means "flipping white wood" or what, but we still need a clear answer about where we are in the project, what is left and when we might see our games. This has been asked over and over again now and he never answers.... so, either he doesn't know, or the answer isn't good and he doesn't want to come out and say it.

Looking at the owner's schedule.... "Game Review" in Q1 2013 follows "Playfield White Wood / Software Start". So we may very well be where I thought we were.

#1224 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

$1895 for the course and he has listed the upcoming dates for the course sessions...

From the courseware section it looks as if participants will be building a whitewood in just 1 week....maybe John should sign up for this himself.

#1225 9 years ago

Let's hope.

Did he actually say this January?

#1226 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Let's hope.
Did he actually say this January?

Yes he actually did say this, and MG is supposedly 95% done.

Frolic, you don't need John to tell you what the new timeline is, just set your expectations for 2016 sometime and if he works out a production partner it might be sooner. Simple as that.

#1227 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

From the courseware section it looks as if participants will be building a whitewood in just 1 week....maybe John should sign up for this himself.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-844.jpgimage-844.jpg

#1228 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Frolic, you don't need John to tell you what the new timeline is, just set your expectations for 2016 sometime and if he works out a production partner it might be sooner. Simple as that.

I don't accept that. I've got the schedule sitting on my desk of the project I paid to get in on. The answer is rip it up, forget about it, and maybe a machine shows up years from now?

Probably time for me to go... if refunds were available.

#1229 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't accept that. I've got the schedule sitting on my desk of the project I paid to get in on. The answer is rip it up, forget about it, and maybe a machine shows up years from now?

One does not simply get a refund lol

I'm sure if he shows a game in January someone will get excited and buy ur spot

#1230 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Option B is what? Maybe you can actually get a refund if you call him and sign a NDA of such a deal.

#1231 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Option B is what?

Well, John could at least be forthcoming and answer my and others' questions.

As a businessperson myself, I can't think of any other business or industry where this type of behavior towards your customers would be acceptable. That is what really gets my goat.

If I entered this as literally an "Artist's Patron", well, then that is the situation and I'm throwing my money away to create art. But that isn't what was pitched, I came in to buy a game promised for delivery a year ago, presented with a time table created by someone who's been in the business for decades.

#1232 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, John could at least be forthcoming and answer my and others' questions.
As a businessperson myself, I can't think of any other business or industry where this type of behavior towards your customers would be acceptable. That is what really gets my goat.
If I entered this as literally an "Artist's Patron", well, then that is the situation and I'm throwing my money away to create art. But that isn't what was pitched, I came in to buy a game promised for delivery a year ago, presented with a time table created by someone who's been in the business for decades.

I think the answers to OUR questions are pretty clear, Raza isn't coming until 2016 at the earliest.

No way to change what has happened to date. I would assume that the new guy that he has hired is coming up with a new "timeline" for all of us, and we are just going to have to wait until probably the January reveal for that.

By the time MG gets revealed in December I'm sure you will have plenty of opportunity to sell your spot. I don't like the situation either but MG is right around the corner and the "first week of January" is not that far off.

If you can't wait, then pick up the phone and call John and ask your questions directly. And report back what he says.

#1233 9 years ago

We're not far away from both games' reveals, so I guess we'll see what happens.

After that I'm likely going to drain all the jpop topics and delete his blog and try to forget about it until the letter shows up looking for my final payment. Play the games I've got, and look forward to the Heighway games coming. Seems like that is the only way to handle it. Yay fun.

#1234 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

You guys still waiting with baited breath are just lying to yourselves.

baited breath

breath.jpgbreath.jpgworm.jpgworm.jpg
I couldn't believe that this actually was a saying, so I looked it up a few years ago, and low and behold, I was kinda on to something - http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
Perhaps this spelling is better, as we dropped the usage of the verb "bate" in its original form. Now it has an entirely new meaning.

#1235 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If you can't wait, then pick up the phone and call John and ask your questions directly. And report back what he says.

This is what I did. I talk to John a lot actually. Have before he started these endeavors as well. I have no horse in this race, and I will not berate John from behind a keyboard as some seem to want to do. I think you will all be happy in the end. At least I hope you are I do understand the rollercoaster you guys are on though.

It is obvious at this point that he underestimated the entire process, and it has hampered certain things like a time line. I feel bad for him because at this point the torches and pitchforks are on the time line, but if things are rushed they will be on an incomplete game.

In the end it seems like nobody is winning

Chris

#1236 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I feel bad for him because at this point the torches and pitchforks are on the time line, but if things are rushed they will be on an incomplete game.
In the end it seems like nobody is winning
Chris

I don't feel bad for the guy. Self imposed time line from an experienced pinball guy.
Staying in for now.......

#1237 9 years ago

I wonder where all the money is? The guy needs to eat, live and have a house etc. For years...... With not selling anything, so no extra income but pre orders.

He did not have large pockets if i am correct. How is he gonne build all those pins when the pin is gold finaly?

This man needs to have a very good job at stern or some other pin company. Cause he has skills. But cant run a company.

He is losing track in his own forrest of art.

#1238 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

How is he gonne build all those pins when the pin is gold finaly?

I can only hope that the last payment I have owing will cover the BOM.

#1239 9 years ago

I wonder where all the money is? The guy needs to eat, live and have a house etc. For years...... With not selling anything, so no extra income but pre orders.
He did not have large pockets if i am correct. How is he gonne build all those pins when the pin is gold finaly?
This man needs to have a very good job at stern or some other pin company. Cause he has skills. But cant run a company.
He is losing track in his own forrest of art.

Again from what I understand Zidware has other revenue sources, I believe they write apps ect.

#1240 9 years ago

Again from what I understand Zidware has other revenue sources, I believe they write apps ect.

They made an app. It was called Pinball Wizard and it was free.

#1241 9 years ago

I wonder where all the money is? The guy needs to eat, live and have a house etc. For years...... With not selling anything, so no extra income but preorders

that's a good question. I used to live just a few blocks from him. Our kids went to middle school together. He told me a couple of years ago that I didn't need to pay him any more towards my spot , implied he didn't need the money. Now I'm wondering how he can afford to live.

Anyone else with a similar story?

#1242 9 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I know you're all frustrated and I hope things still all work out but I think it might be about time that you demand you money back. If you don't get it immediately it may be time to star liberally using the term "lawyer up".
QSS

Here's an email I sent on October 21 and I did not get a reply

John,

I applaud your efforts and love your games. I have $ 6500.00 invested in RAZA and would like to request a refund. I signed a contract, but I signed a contract with the intent to purchase based on scheduled production dates. The lack of progress and the waiting on RAZA, I believe is a breach of contract on your end. Therefore, I would like to go about this in a civil manner and request a full refund and to absolve this contract.

I will also go on and say that I think you are an amazing designer and this really saddens me to cancel after about two years of waiting. I do not see any end date in sight and I cannot continue to wait on good faith. My alternative would be to get a group of owners together and file a formal suit. I in no way want to take this action and am hoping this can be handled between the three parties currently involved. I also assume you do not want that headache as I wish to avoid any and all attorney's, when possible.

Let's call all of this what it really is. There is an apparent lack of focus in getting any of these games complete and ready for final production. I was holding out, hoping a full working version of Magic Girl would be finished for Expo. I also know that in two years time you have collected $ 812,500.00 from the RAZA group and know you have expenses, which may involve rent and purchasing equipment to build the games. My fear is that half or more of this money may be gone and that you may never produce these games. I fear that the lack of progress is going to stop any new capital coming in and that it may be only a matter of time before your current capital is gone. I'm very worried you are on the edge of bankruptcy and would suggest you take action and restore people's faith in your company.

I would suggest posting pictures to the public and putting out a realistic completion dates.

Please let me know how we can proceed.

#1243 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Here's an email I sent on October 21 and I did not get a reply
John,
I applaud your efforts and love your games. I have $ 6500.00 invested in RAZA and would like to request a refund. I signed a contract, but I signed a contract with the intent to purchase based on scheduled production dates. The lack of progress and the waiting on RAZA, I believe is a breach of contract on your end. Therefore, I would like to go about this in a civil manner and request a full refund and to absolve this contract.
I will also go on and say that I think you are an amazing designer and this really saddens me to cancel after about two years of waiting. I do not see any end date in sight and I cannot continue to wait on good faith. My alternative would be to get a group of owners together and file a formal suit. I in no way want to take this action and am hoping this can be handled between the three parties currently involved. I also assume you do not want that headache as I wish to avoid any and all attorney's, when possible.
Let's call all of this what it really is. There is an apparent lack of focus in getting any of these games complete and ready for final production. I was holding out, hoping a full working version of Magic Girl would be finished for Expo. I also know that in two years time you have collected $ 812,500.00 from the RAZA group and know you have expenses, which may involve rent and purchasing equipment to build the games. My fear is that half or more of this money may be gone and that you may never produce these games. I fear that the lack of progress is going to stop any new capital coming in and that it may be only a matter of time before your current capital is gone. I'm very worried you are on the edge of bankruptcy and would suggest you take action and restore people's faith in your company.
I would suggest posting pictures to the public and putting out a realistic completion dates.
Please let me know how we can proceed.

So what is your next move?

#1245 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Here's an email I sent on October 21 and I did not get a reply...

Very well said.

#1246 9 years ago

The continued failure to respond concerns me. How is he going to handle a situation like JJPs board failure issue which lead to them sending out re-designed boards at their cost?

#1247 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I was holding out, hoping a full working version of Magic Girl would be finished for Expo. I also know that in two years time you have collected $ 812,500.00 from the RAZA group and know you have expenses, which may involve rent and purchasing equipment to build the games. My fear is that half or more of this money may be gone and that you may never produce these games. I fear that the lack of progress is going to stop any new capital coming in and that it may be only a matter of time before your current capital is gone. I'm very worried you are on the edge of bankruptcy and would suggest you take action and restore people's faith in your company.

Sending an email to Jpop telling him your speculations about his finances, expenses, and "impending bankruptcy" strikes me as pretty foolish. If you want to cancel, fine. Telling him you're doing so because you're afraid he's about to go bankrupt is nothing but pure conjecture on your part.

Believe me, I'm as frustrated as anyone on this. But cancel based off what you know (or in this case what we don't know), not based on what you make up in your head.

#1248 9 years ago

John REALLY needs to add some "muscle" as he says to propel these projects.

As for the lack of a reply re the request for a refund, I'll just simply never understand why that happens, the overall lack of communication, not with just John, and how damaging it is.

#1249 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Sending an email to Jpop telling him your speculations about his finances, expenses, and "impending bankruptcy" strikes me as pretty foolish. If you want to cancel, fine. Telling him you're doing so because you're afraid he's about to go bankrupt is nothing but pure conjecture on your part.
Believe me, I'm as frustrated as anyone on this. But cancel based off what you know (or in this case what we don't know), not based on what you make up in your head.

We do know he needs to raise the game quantity to build the mg cause he ran out of money to build them. We don't know when he will actually build them. Frustration was expo... Few more weeks should put things to bed on some issues but likely raise more!

#1250 9 years ago

hank I will call you later today

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.