(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 249 of 487.
#12401 4 years ago

Jack's pin #3 will also be an unlicensed theme by Pat Lawlor.

#12402 4 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Yes, but IF it follows the track record of many unlicenced pins JJP will go belly up. Not hoping for this, but the reality of only making one game every 3 years or so. Every game better be a BIT hit I would think.

#12403 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yes, but IF it follows the track record of many unlicenced pins JJP will go belly up. Not hoping for this, but the reality of only making one game every 3 years or so. Every game better be a BIT hit I would think.

Or it could be a big hit. We just don't know yet.

#12404 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Put the art on some t shirts.
In fact you can come up with a whole line of shit. Put me down for some clay drink coasters. I can use em for target practice

I think JPop pinatas would be pretty cool right about now. Maybe have urinal screens and toilet paper with his likeness made for the toilets at Expo.

Berk Paper Enterprises could probably get it done.

#12405 4 years ago

Or it could be a big hit. We just don't know yet.

I hope so; considering the hobbit licence is already relatively stale (for location play) a GREAT unlicensed pin would be a nice everygreen earner.

Similar-ish to the band pins like Metallica or AC/DC, they can conceivably be earning and seem fresh to new players even a decade from now (barring advances in tech that make them obviously obsolete compared to a "new" pin 10 years from now...).

#12406 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

a GREAT unlicensed pin would be a nice everygreen earner.

I agree, IMO Sterns machines are geared to a very narrow group of people, and that market has to be saturated and there's very little in these to generate any new interest.

There are solid 'themes' that don't require licensing that are universal and full of potential. Monsters, robots, and sex sell, they don't need to be Godzilla, Transformers, or Playboy to earn be big, but probably gain some audience from those affiliations, but is it really more than the cost lost to licensing?

I love and owned a Ford Mustang but no amount of love was ever put into the design of that machine. It has none of the spirit or attitude or plays into the fantasy of owning that car invokes. That's why Zombie's art stands out. He's channeling the spirit and emotion beyond the likeness or the general theme or idea.

Sorry, thread hijack hopefully averted, by bringing it back to Zombie.

Owners and fans alike, continue your stages of grief. I believe we were somewhere in the anger/bargaining stage...

#12407 4 years ago

For those interested most of the designers were on a monthly retainer normally $5,000 to $6,250
+ a royalty per game sold if sold over a specified number.

This info comes straight from Williams internal memo's

#12408 4 years ago

I've met people before who had a fatalistic personality, it's like they want to fail to prove that it was destined to happen no matter what. That sounds ridiculous, but I've met many people like that, they like to talk about how bad they have it. Don't know if Jpop is like that but you get the idea from him that he had already decided quite a while ago that he wasn't going to make this work.

What's so crazy about it is, this could have turned into a profitable business if ran differently. Lots of mistakes, some of them so bad they seem intentional. Tons of competent people offering to help do things for years, but still it fails. Has a nearly complete prototype for years and refuses to show it to people.

It's literally like he went out of his way to make sure this didn't get done. EVEN KEVIN built 1 machine! ... and he had it ready in about a year, didn't he?

You can't just say John's a loser , that's why the game didn't get made... he had to go out of his way to make sure it didn't accidentally get done. What's that all about? By putting that much effort into making sure it didn't go 'well', he basically put that much effort in screwing customers.

#12409 4 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I've met people before who had a fatalistic personality, it's like they want to fail to prove that it was destined to happen no matter what. That sounds ridiculous, but I've met many people like that, they like to talk about how bad they have it. Don't know if Jpop is like that but you get the idea from him that he had already decided quite a while ago that he wasn't going to make this work.
What's so crazy about it is, this could have turned into a profitable business if ran differently. Lots of mistakes, some of them so bad they seem intentional. Tons of competent people offering to help do things for years, but still it fails. Has a nearly complete prototype for years and refuses to show it to people.
It's literally like he went out of his way to make sure this didn't get done. EVEN KEVIN built 1 machine! ... and he had it ready in about a year, didn't he?
You can't just say John's a loser , that's why the game didn't get made... he had to go out of his way to make sure it didn't accidentally get done. What's that all about? By putting that much effort into makikmng sure it didn't go 'well', he basically put that much effort in screwing customers.

^ this is something I agree with, John deliberately ran his company into the ground, I don't know why.

Reminds me of the play 'The Producers' where the accountant explains how to make money off a flop: collect $1m spend $100k and close down (people assume you lost money because it was spectacular flop) keep the leftover money.

John realized actually making the games would have been more expensive than NOT making the games and likely he's running off with a tidy profit.

#12410 4 years ago
Quoted from puck:

Also do you think the video assets shown in the photo below from the Zidware Kiss pinball will ever see the light of day?

You'd certainly hope so to help recover the large amount of money that license must have cost.

#12411 4 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

For that to work out, these main manufactures would need to start on original themes again, as with all this licensed stuff lately there is no entry for that kind of art.

Saying that means you haven't actually looked at ZY's porfolio, quite a lot of licensed artwork aside form the KISS machine mentioned in this thread.

#12412 4 years ago

Im not sure if it is a good idea to keep it unthemed. JJP may last minute license it and I hope so. JJP needs big selling games.

#12413 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

There is no "if" about Zidware going belly up. Only when. And that is soon.

Really? You haven't mentioned it before so that's news to me. That would mean lots of vendors (yeti, cointaker, glm, applejuice) and customers(YOU) get nothing or next to nothing. Well at least you aren't gloating about it.

#12414 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Really? You haven't mentioned it before so that's news to me. That would mean lots of vendors (yeti, cointaker, glm, applejuice) and customers(YOU) get nothing or next to nothing. Well at least you aren't gloating about it.

There's 100 percent chance Zidware is going belly up. He pulled Facebook and his website. Lawsuits are filled. Do you think he will win the lawsuit?

#12415 4 years ago
Quoted from Frankster:

#42 of all things, the answer to life the universe and everything.

With you here openly in addition to surreptitiously does this mean it's time for everyone to go back to RGP?

#12416 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

JJP may last minute license it and I hope so.

not everyone likes crappy "hot right now" licensed themes. I am pretty sure that a Pat L theme where he is allowed to innovate and no more pre-order will do very well.

There are plenty of collectors and buyers that are not like you. Although it is funny that your best and most expensive title is actually a non-licensed Pat Lawlor theme hmmm interesting couterpoint is found right inside your own collection.

#12417 4 years ago

I think John was trying to sell his company, probably as Ben said never really planned on going into manufacturing. As time went on he probably started working on more games thinking that it would make a better package to sell to possible buyers. Thats how the money was burned...now this is speculation but i do believe that if he would have focused on the first two machines with a mix of proven parts and new, he would have been able to make the machines that he originally presented. That is why his idea was so successful, because it was do-able. Somewhere along the line, which I believe was early... he decided to build and sell a pinball company which would be very profitable for him.
Us getting screwed was a byproduct of a bad idea, now it is his turn..... I dont think bankruptcy is pretty, it must be lousy for his self esteem, relationship and finances.....but since he wasn't concerned about the 120 + people that bought his idea... its hard for me to worry much about him.
His idea was stupid and selfish, upset everyone around him and now will embarrass him until the grave. Everything that I see that is great to look at seems to be from zombieyeti....this may turn into a wonderful thing for him, which it should since he did so much work already.

I am not so hopeful that anything will be produced, and if it is... i dont know if i would invest much more than I already have. I may just prefer to buy another machine that is already in production...........

#12418 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

not everyone likes crappy "hot right now" licensed themes. I am pretty sure that a Pat L theme where he is allowed to innovate and no more pre-order will do very well.
There are plenty of collectors and buyers that are not like you. Although it is funny that your best and most expensive title is actually a non-licensed Pat Lawlor theme hmmm interesting couterpoint is found right inside your own collection.

He didn't say it would suck if it was non-licensed, just implied that it wouldn't sell as many units. Tigerlaw appreciating and owning an original themed game doesn't really counter his point. A licensed game is going to sell more units and JJP needs the sales. It doesn't look like Jack has the luxury of taking a risk right now.

#12419 4 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

I think John was trying to sell his company, probably as Ben said never really planned on going into manufacturing. As time went on he probably started working on more games thinking that it would make a better package to sell to possible buyers. Thats how the money was burned...now this is speculation but i do believe that if he would have focused on the first two machines with a mix of proven parts and new, he would have been able to make the machines that he originally presented. That is why his idea was so successful, because it was do-able. Somewhere along the line, which I believe was early... he decided to build and sell a pinball company which would be very profitable for him.
Us getting screwed was a byproduct of a bad idea, now it is his turn..... I dont think bankruptcy is pretty, it must be lousy for his self esteem, relationship and finances.....but since he wasn't concerned about the 120 + people that bought his idea... its hard for me to worry much about him.
His idea was stupid and selfish, upset everyone around him and now will embarrass him until the grave. Everything that I see that is great to look at seems to be from zombieyeti....this may turn into a wonderful thing for him, which it should since he did so much work already.
I am not so hopeful that anything will be produced, and if it is... i dont know if i would invest much more than I already have. I may just prefer to buy another machine that is already in production...........

So basically another hair-brained scheme to retire gone amuck. We can thank quite a few corporations and industries for abandoning the defined benefit pension plans that rewarded hard work & dedication and kept retired employees living at a decent level with a partial retirement income. Since these plans are now gone from 80% of the places that had them, many "job-hoppers" who were in mid level positions have to resort to this nonsense to attempt early retirement if they are too lazy to work and save.

So in this example a guy uses his (now former) good name and past industry experience to set up a COmpaNy thinking he could possibly sell it and retire early. I'm sure his parents would be proud.....

#12420 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Im not sure if it is a good idea to keep it unthemed. JJP may last minute license it and I hope so. JJP needs big selling games.

Downvotes?

Probably spot on - I wouldn't be surprised if they are licensing it (or already have) as we speak.

Star Wars anyone?

#12421 4 years ago

I wouldn't worry about Pat's game selling. Imagine what he'll do with an open chequebook! And Pat is 10x the designer that Popaduik is so there's no worry about obsessing about hinges and vents.

#12422 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think JJP should have a strong licensed #4 ready to release on the heels of Pat Lawlor's game. Not an easy thing to do, but possible.

#12423 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

A licensed game is going to sell more units

WWE says that a licensed theme does not = more units sold

I would say it is not so cut and dry as licensed = lower risk. Reality is that if a game shoots well and has a fun theme then it will do well. Just because Stern has created an equation for them does not make it smart for everyone else to follow it.

To me, there is obvious pent up demand for a Pat Lawlor original theme with NO preorder. I have said that the best thing for JJP is to make a great game, have it ready to sell, and show up with a semi (or 5) at expo. If Pat is given the opportunity to innovate then I bet they go home with 5 empty trailers and lots more demand.

#12424 4 years ago

I'm not convinced that Pop's original plan was to sell the company before building any machines.

My guess is that he simply did not have forethought to see how the money math was going to run.

If I'm building a game that I know by heart (lets say Space Shuttle or AFM), I can assemble it in a single day. So building 16 games, "piece of cake".

But, Pop did not figure on how much more everything costs in small quantities.

Playfields only cost $200 - in quantities of 1,000.

Painted, assembled cabs $400 - in quantities of 1,000

He suddenly realized that he was not getting Williams BOM prices, and would need to sell A LOT more games.

A game like KISS could have sold 5,000 units...........

#12425 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm not convinced that Pop's original plan was to sell the company before building any machines.
My guess is that he simply did not have forethought to see how the money math was going to run.
If I'm building a game that I know by heart (lets say Space Shuttle or AFM), I can assemble it in a single day. So building 16 games, "piece of cake".
But, Pop did not figure on how much more everything costs in small quantities.
Playfields only cost $200 - in quantities of 1,000.
Painted, assembled cabs $400 - in quantities of 1,000
He suddenly realized that he was not getting Williams BOM prices, and would need to sell A LOT more games.
A game like KISS could have sold 5,000 units...........

And if he would have gotten Kiss he'd have 5000 more people wanting blood as I'm sure he would have squandered that money as well. More money = more problems. John is not responsible enough to handle that kind of scratch

#12426 4 years ago
#12427 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Totally agree. Based on everything we've seen so far, he's not that smart. And not capable of (realistically) planning much further into the future than about a week.

#12428 4 years ago

he was smart enough to get Bill to bail him out.

The whole time he was ignoring his customers he was cutting a back room deal with Pintasia.

Quoted from stangbat:he's not that smart

Dumb like a fox.

#12429 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

IMHO this is the only chance to get money back to victims. mister Brandes is not prevented from giving deposit credits by bankruptcy.

Things are looking up IMHO . Stuff is coming together, the show is coming up, machine is getting ready . Bankruptcy was always a possibility from the start with mister Brandes and I bet he has that base covered.

Do you really think a businessman would go into this without a contingency plan for bankruptcy? I think not. He is just not sharing that plan yet.

You expect me to gloat over me getting robbed? I think not. I got robbed. Am currently being robbed. The only way to stop the theft is court. John won't respond to our refund requests.

Rationally - if you are a victim your only recourse is a lawsuit.

You can ignore it and take the loss if you like, but I will not.

You heard it here - bankruptcy won't stop Pintasia . They have spent too much already. The protesting about bankruptcy from Pintasia is to assuage john Popadiuk . Pintasia always knew bankruptcy might happen. They don't appear to be stupid, so why would they not have contingency ready? I would have.

#12430 4 years ago

I don't think pre pay or deposits should die. If people want more variety in games than Stern licenses that can only happen with boutiques.

What you need to watch out for is people expecting you to PAY FOR DEVELOPMENT. In these situations once they spend more developing a game then they will earn in profit, things tip over.

If someone develops a pinball on their on dime & time then you're just paying for parts and labor, it has a much better shot at becoming real.

Also I see Pinside changed their layout to work better on mobile (counts toward Google rank now thanks smartphones but it looks like empty space ass on a real computer.

#12431 4 years ago

I think pre-pay and pre-order should die.

#12432 4 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

If MG does get produced, it will have to be a much more cheaply made, standardised product than was originally envisaged, in order to be viable. That, together with greater numbers should wipe out the original price point, but currently isn't. Clearly then, it ceases to be value for money (if it ever was). For me, it's all poison now anyway. Thanks a lot, Jpop

#12433 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

To me, there is obvious pent up demand for a Pat Lawlor original theme with NO preorder. I have said that the best thing for JJP is to make a great game, have it ready to sell, and show up with a semi (or 5) at expo. If Pat is given the opportunity to innovate then I bet they go home with 5 empty trailers and lots more demand.

I'd buy this game, meaning pay a deposit then the remainder when shipped. But no pre-orders again, ever, for me. If that rules out LEs, so be it.

#12434 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

You heard it here - bankruptcy won't stop Pintasia . They have spent too much already.

Spent money on what? The guy who did the ramps said he did it for free.None of the vendors have been paid.No refunds.Another guy donated his space for set up and tweak.
Ok they shipped a game,500 bucks.Big deal.

#12435 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

John won't respond to our refund requests.
Rationally - if you are a victim your only recourse is a lawsuit.
You can ignore it and take the loss if you like, but I will not.
You heard it here - bankruptcy won't stop Pintasia . They have spent too much already. The protesting about bankruptcy from Pintasia is to assuage john Popadiuk . Pintasia always knew bankruptcy might happen. They don't appear to be stupid, so why would they not have contingency ready? I would have.

In my last email to Jpop, I gave him until 1st June (as per his original revised agreement deadline) to refund me, or I sue, so there's still time, John! (And monkeys might fly out of my butt). I haven't emailed him since to see if his emails are bouncing now, which is possible given his electronic retreating.

Heck, if MG is good and not too 'cheapened', and with the right pricepoint, I might buy it when available. I'm totally pro-Pintasia in what they're trying to achieve. Of course, I have my suspicions and many questions as we all do, but if Pintasia can provide regular, honest information, they might be fine (if the financials stack up). But I certainly wouldn't give them pre-order money. That model is dead (hopefully).

#12436 4 years ago

Can we start speculating now on what treasures jpop may have after all these years? He will try to hide stuff , of course, and he will fail badly at that. So what juicy items are in his collection after all these years that we now get a shot at?

MG and RAZA and AIW art, that's a given.

But what else?

#12437 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Can we start speculating now on what treasures jpop may have after all these years? He will try to hide stuff , of course, and he will fail badly at that. So what juicy items are in his collection after all these years that we now get a shot at?
But what else?

He has already proven to us that one thing he IS really good at is hiding stuff.

#12438 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

But what else?

From my frequent visits, not a lot. A small 3d printer,an iMac, lots of nuts, bolts, wirenuts, wire spools, LEDs, and a few empty cabinets. Maybe 4 or 5 prototype play fields. Otherwise, it's all printouts. I'm afraid he doesn't appear to have much asset wise...

#12439 4 years ago

Zane Smith probably needs to have a talk about staying off public forums in discussions regarding a party opponent. Aiming at your own feet here.

#12440 4 years ago

He was selling memorabilia on RGP back in the day.Signed translates and whatnot.

I once posted I had found an NOS ToM play field.He PMed me and asked if I wanted to sell my original play field.I said no.

so he's got no ToM play fields for sure.

#12441 4 years ago

He has a WPC power driver board that I generously donated to him years ago so he could reverse engineer it.

#12442 4 years ago
#12443 4 years ago

He didn't say it would suck if it was non-licensed, just implied that it wouldn't sell as many units. Tigerlaw appreciating and owning an original themed game doesn't really counter his point. A licensed game is going to sell more units and JJP needs the sales. It doesn't look like Jack has the luxury of taking a risk right now.

I agree an unlicensed theme is more risky.

However, if anyone was going to do an unlicensed theme, putting a legendary team behind its design would be the best way to mitigate that risk. Granted I'm an early-Lawlor-fantatic, but I think it's fair to say this upcoming JJP game will create massive buzz in the pinhead community if Lawlor has indeed regained his B/W mojo....

#12444 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

So basically another hair-brained scheme to retire gone amuck. We can thank quite a few corporations and industries for abandoning the defined benefit pension plans that rewarded hard work & dedication and kept retired employees living at a decent level with a partial retirement income. Since these plans are now gone from 80% of the places that had them, many "job-hoppers" who were in mid level positions have to resort to this nonsense to attempt early retirement if they are too lazy to work and save.
So in this example a guy uses his (now former) good name and past industry experience to set up a COmpaNy thinking he could possibly sell it and retire early. I'm sure his parents would be proud.....

Oh man, "blame the corporations". Yes, they gave John the idea. Huh what?

#12445 4 years ago

Or the ability to fund this 3rd game without preorders.

#12446 4 years ago
Quoted from Revo76:

Why would he have to use a board for that ?

You got me. He wanted a board. I had an extra one lying around. I gave it to him.

#12447 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Zane Smith probably needs to have a talk about staying off public forums in discussions regarding a party opponent. Aiming at your own feet here.

Meh. I mean, obviously as an attorney we'd recommend not talking about your party opponent and the case publicly, but in this instance, I really don't see how any real damage could be done by doing so.

Case is a dead bang loser for JPop. Anything a plaintiff says here isn't going to change that.

Edit: Pinside is broken. That quote is not from Ben.

#12448 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

For those interested most of the designers were on a monthly retainer normally $5,000 to $6,250
+ a royalty per game sold if sold over a specified number.
This info comes straight from Williams internal memo's

plus also add on you're talking about numbers what.. 20 years old? Tech industry has changed a whole lot since 1995

#12449 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Let's try again

#12450 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

From my frequent visits, not a lot. A small 3d printer,an iMac, lots of nuts, bolts, wirenuts, wire spools, LEDs, and a few empty cabinets. Maybe 4 or 5 prototype play fields. Otherwise, it's all printouts. I'm afraid he doesn't appear to have much asset wise...

Does he have a house, cars or retirement fund? Until every last person has been made whole all those items need to be on the table for liquidation!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
25,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, VIC
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 249 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside