(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 245 of 487.
#12201 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm confident that JPop hopes that all buyers think like you do.

You're right. I think we are talking past each other here. I agree with you JPOP doesn't want to get sued. No ones disagreeing with that.

I just refuse to expend 1 more dollar or calorie thinking about what JPOP needs, wants, says or does.
I'm DONE with him.

Quoted from RobT:

Just JPop sailing off into the sunset with no worries in the world.

Yup, he can Fornicate himself right off the face of the planet for all I care, and he can take Jay Cutler with him.

#12202 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm confident that JPop hopes that all buyers think like you do.

I think people have seen in the skit-b thread that what looks like a cut and dried case of fraud isn't going to be handled that way. I think the criminal case is already closed. Seems jpop is even less likely to be charged with anything criminal and since others are ready pursuing it, why throw another $500 at it? If I had money in this game, that's what I'd be thinking anyway. Plus, sue for what? Most everyone agrees the money is gone..

#12203 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

You're right. I think we are talking past each other here. I agree with you JPOP doesn't want to get sued. No ones disagreeing with that.
I just refuse to expend 1 more dollar or calorie thinking about what JPOP needs, wants, says or does.
I'm DONE with him.

I would kickstarter some cash for anyone that is putting together an organized effort to force Jpop into bankruptcy and chase this to the end!

$100 donation from me if someone wants to gofund.

I want clear list of your plan of action and the full storyline to be shared (I need something for my $100 kickstarted contribution). I also want to see all the gory details as it unfolds.

I bet there are a few others here that would be willing to chip in on this.

I want to see Jpop pay for his crimes and be humilated for it (likely a bigger payment from him is the damage to his ego).

#12204 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I'm DONE with him.

Are you truly though?

/////

Pintasia Design Inc. is the Licensee to MG, RAZA and AIW. We want to share with you who we are and why we are here.
· Business Development - Bill Brandes: business restructuring,
· Finance & Operations - Sabrina Wei: investment banker, business consultant, Deloitte & Touche alumni

· Consultant* (Game Design) - John Popadiuk, Zidware Inc.

#12205 4 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

If these are similar and Cointaker is able to get any of them back from John I'm pretty sure there's a market for them. I love those things.

The Wizard Blocks one were physical spinners, like the top light on Getaway. These are multiple LEDs mounted in a circle to simulate the rotation effect. I believe there's a video of it floating around from the blogs. Pretty cool.

#12206 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Thanks for the offer man but I will just take my chances. Take a portion of that $500 and go to Chicago and see for yourself there's no money. He's been paying himself a big fat salary worthy of a legendary PINBALL INVENTOR and countless 304 stainless samples he's been dragging around to shows, he's customized every single part on the game. Coupled with cash burn...ugh. Have you guys not been paying attention to the way he has been running his business these last 4 years?
I'd be out another $500 then hope to recoup 75% of 1/200th of zero dollars. No thanks.
The lawyers will pocket 100 grand of your money...easy. From you! That's why they are taking your case. Not because they are good guys. If you are lucky you might see $200. If by some luck there was anything left you better believe john is spending it on his legal defense now. It's a lose-lose.
Good luck to you.

Jpop is not going to get away with this scot free. The money is only partly why we're litigating... What Jpop has done is appalling! I think we're all aware what the chances are of recouping our money from this gentleman.

I may have lost $20k, but I can live without it. Never invest what you can't afford, and all that. But it also raises the point- having lost $20,000 thanks to Mr Popadiuk, why would I give a toss about another $500 loss?

To paraphrase Mick Jagger- "I wanna get some satisfaction". Bring it on.

#12207 4 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I realize this is still very much WIP... but was that score going to be in your face for most of the game (barring a couple animations here and there)? ... that'd be a complete waist of a screen if it was...
For 16k, I'd expect video detal similar in quality to the background of Carl's stage (Ignore the fighting, just watch the background animations)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ijW7hMlPbE0#t=79

You were never going to get that. It's why the whole plan was asinine from the very beginning. Yes, the game is $16k. But it's so limited (or was at least, who the hell knows now) that there was simply no way to amortize the kind of costs that level of animation would require.

That goes double for an unlicensed game, where every single asset has to be created from scratch. There's no leaning on movie clips or even existing characters and scenery for motion graphics.

You're talking about an enormous time output, and realistically by at least a small staff. That costs. No way around that.

Everything we've seen so far is 90s CD-ROM kinds of animations. Tricks applied over still frames. I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Not sure it really matters, it's not at all clear how much of that display you can actually see through all the ramps and plastics. I guess we'll find out at the NW show.

#12208 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Everything we've seen so far is 90s CD-ROM kinds of animations. Tricks applied over still frames. I wouldn't expect much more than that.

I know, and it's kind of unacceptable in this day in age.

#12209 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Jpop is not going to get away with this scot free. The money is only partly why we're litigating... What Jpop has done is appalling! I think we're all aware what the chances are of recouping our money from this gentleman.

This makes total sense to me, and $500 seems like a cheap price to pay so long as you're not banking on a big return on your investment. When JPop gets forced into bankruptcy you'll be in the same position as the rest of the buyers that didn't pursue litigation, but you'll also have the satisfaction of knowing you helped land him there.

#12210 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Most everyone agrees the money is gone..

We don't know. But there's a good way to find out

#12211 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I think people have seen in the skit-b thread that what looks like a cut and dried case of fraud isn't going to be handled that way. I think the criminal case is already closed. Seems jpop is even less likely to be charged with anything criminal and since others are ready pursuing it, why throw another $500 at it? If I had money in this game, that's what I'd be thinking anyway. Plus, sue for what? Most everyone agrees the money is gone..

Who said anything about a criminal case? Hiring an attorney to try and get your money back has nothing to do with criminal proceedings.

Sue for what? Money. If he doesn't have it, get a Judgment. Try to collect on the Judgment (lots of different ways of doing that). Worse case scenario, force him into bankruptcy. That's better than letting him off the hook free and clear. If had money in this game (like I did at one point), that's what I'd be thinking anyway.

#12212 4 years ago

Take John to the NW show, and have a charity Dunk Tank he has to sit in.

All proceeds go to the MGRAZAAIW relief fund.

#12213 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So you'd rather not sue JPop and just let him escape any consequences at all from taking your money and squandering it?

There are two things that must happen.

1.) People get games.
2.) People get refunds.

If 1 and 2 do not happen, 3 must happen:

3.) John Popadiuk must be destroyed (in court)

#12214 4 years ago

I've paid my $500 now, so game on. It is happening.

#12215 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You were never going to get that.

Yeah, videogame studios spend MILLIONS and YEARS to develop that level of graphics.

Popaduik might have been able to con some pinheads with animation and graphics experience to do it for almost free in their spare time, and in a few years get something decent. But yeah, this 90's level stuff was probably the best that he was capable of getting.

#12216 4 years ago

That quality of graphics doesn't take millions or years anymore. Just say'n. Frankly, the way lcd/led video screens are used in all pins these days disgusts me.

#12217 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, videogame studios spend MILLIONS and YEARS to develop that level of graphics.
Popaduik might have been able to con some pinheads with animation and graphics experience to do it for almost free in their spare time, and in a few years get something decent. But yeah, this 90's level stuff was probably the best that he was capable of getting.

I'd rather see good art with simple motion & FX on a pinball display than terrible polygon art/animation that we've seen so far on P3.

#12218 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You were never going to get that. It's why the whole plan was asinine from the very beginning. Yes, the game is $16k. But it's so limited (or was at least, who the hell knows now) that there was simply no way to amortize the kind of costs that level of animation would require.
That goes double for an unlicensed game, where every single asset has to be created from scratch. There's no leaning on movie clips or even existing characters and scenery for motion graphics.
You're talking about an enormous time output, and realistically by at least a small staff. That costs. No way around that.
Not sure it really matters, it's not at all clear how much of that display you can actually see through all the ramps and plastics. I guess we'll find out at the NW show.

I can confirm asset creation was not a costly endeavor for these projects... At least from me

#12219 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

3.) John Popadiuk must be destroyed (in court)

I think if he even apologized a lot of people would be way happier.

#12220 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'd rather see good art with simple motion & FX on a pinball display than terrible polygon art/animation that we've seen so far on P3.

Oh man, don't get me started on P3... A game clearly designed by a programmer/engineer...

OOOF

#12221 4 years ago

This whole Poopadookie fiasco is really disappointing.

However, on a brighter note, I am getting 12000+ posts worth of entertainment value for myself and fellow Pinsiders from my RAZA deposit. So, I guess it's not a complete loss.

#12222 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Yup, he can Fornicate himself right off the face of the planet for all I care, and he can take Jay Cutler with him.

had to give you a thumbs up for that one

#12223 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I've paid my $500 now, so game on. It is happening.

Yeah if I were one of the victims in this whole thing my first instinct would definitely be "spend more money."

#12224 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Oh man, don't get me started on P3... A game clearly designed by a programmer/engineer...
OOOF

Oh man, don't get me started on MG, RAZA, AIW... games clearly designed by an artist...

#12225 4 years ago

Why the rush now to get this game to a show so far away from Chicago? Is John dodging some sort of bullet by showing a flipping game in public? Does this stop or delay lawsuits? All of these years and now this crazy last minute rush to build ramps etc.
This thought popped into my head late last night and I was a little buzzed so if I am way off base here, let me know and I will erase this thought.

#12226 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

OOOF

That's the problem with boutique pins. You need a pro designer, coder, artist and musician to make a truly great pin. Many of the boutique pins fall short in one or more of these areas. Seriously short.

#12227 4 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

That quality of graphics doesn't take millions or years anymore. Just say'n. Frankly, the way lcd/led video screens are used in all pins these days disgusts me.

That is true but it also costs a lot more to get it done right.

#12228 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

That's the problem with boutique pins. You need a pro designer, coder, artist and musician to make a truly great pin. Many of the boutique pins fall short in one or more of these areas. Seriously short.

What pin made in the past 10 years does not fall short in ATLEAST 1 of those categories?

#12229 4 years ago

I'd just like to point out, Bill saying John is broke, is the same thing as John saying he's broke. What I mean, it's no poof at all. It's just taking some one's word for something. Look for the motive, Both John and Bill have reason for you not to sue and if they say there is no money or valuable assets they think you won't sue. Also if just a handful of people sue, I bet there will be a pay-off from one side or the other.

Also, in the same vein, if Bill or whoever is running the show were to come out and say "This is the deal I have with John, no money went his way and no money went our way, PS this is not a shell game, PPS don't sue anyone". All those words are just words, just someone telling a convenient story. After this whole debacle, I will say don't believe half of what you see and none of what you hear because it's might just be tall tails.

NOW, I am not calling anyone a liar (except John) but I am taking this whole project going forward with a huge grain of salt. And the only definitive answers to who has what would take place in a court of law. I hate lawyers as much as the next guy, but they are necessary when you can't take the word of a pathological liar.

Lastly, everything John has said to date has been a big fat lie, and as this new deal is essentially getting into bed with John, just think about that. Since he's an essential part of the forward project.

#12230 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

That is true but it also costs a lot more to get it done right.

Not a whole lot more frankly. And it's worth every penny. Quality products are worth more long term then quick products short term.

#12231 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There are two things that must happen.
1.) People get games.
2.) People get refunds.

If you take the new deal there will be NO REFUNDS, so if you want any money back, the only method is to sue John.

Of course, was it John's proposal or the second proposal, I forget said once you take the deal, you have a sellable asset, you can sell it, trade it (etc..) this is typical salesman (time-share) pitch. You can't get a penny of a refund but you have a sellable asset (BS).

#12232 4 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Why the rush now to get this game to a show so far away from Chicago? Is John dodging some sort of bullet by showing a flipping game in public?

"Misdirection is a form of deception in which the attention of an audience is focused on one thing in order to distract its attention from another.

Managing the audience's attention is the aim of all Theater, it is the foremost requirement of Theatrical Magic. Whether the Magic is of a "pocket trick" variety, or, a large stage production in Las Vegas, misdirection is the central secret of all Magic.

"The central secret of conjuring...is a manipulation of interest." (Henry Hay, The Amateur Magicians Handbook, pg. 2, copyright 1972).

The term is used to describe either the effect (the victim's focus on an unimportant object) or the sleight of hand or patter (the magician's speech) that creates it.

There are two basic ways to "misdirect" your audience; one is time-sensitive, the other isn't.

The time-sensitive approach encourages the audience to look away for a fleeting moment, so that the sleight or move may be accomplished undetected.

The other approach has much to do with re-framing the audiences perception, and perhaps very little to do with the senses. The minds of the audience members are distracted into thinking that an extraneous factor has much to do with the accomplishment of the feat, whereas it really doesn't have any bearing on the effect at all. "The true skill of the magician is in the skill he exhibits in influencing the spectators mind." (Dariel Fitzkee, Magic by Misdirection, pg. 33, copyright 1975)."

(From Wikipedia)

In short, watch JPop make himself disappear while you are playing MG at the show.

#12233 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I may have lost $20k, but I can live without it. Never invest what you can't afford, and all that. But it also raises the point- having lost $20,000 thanks to Mr Popadiuk, why would I give a toss about another $500 loss?

Yes, and there's also the possibility of exposing his lackluster accounting and business practices, which if not in line with corporate requirements, could expose his personal assets to compensate creditors. Would those things pay everyone back? No, but they would put John in a studio apartment sleeping on a futon.

#12234 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I think it's going to be difficult to get an honest opinion of the game after the NW show. You know there's going to people who are going to say the game sucks just because they have their agenda or sour grapes. Many will give the usual patent answers about it not being worth $10-16K, the layout sucks, no flow, weak flippers, unfinished code etc etc, when in fact they probably never even played it or went to the show. I hope Bill keeps that in mind. I think he should consider taking an informal anonymous poll from people after they play it. It should also be said that obviously the code will be incomplete.

Maybe as a prerequisite to playing the game, he should get anyone that does play it, to fill out a quick survey form, while the playing experience is still on their minds. He could even ask the question about if the would consider buying one, and if so, they could leave a name and email for him to pass on more information.

#12235 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Weird. I was about to post the exact same thing.

5 Pintasia Credits for 5 Balls.

dunktank.jpg
#12236 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Five minutes after your post, Jpop filed patents for water and gravity.

Dunk the Dummy, indeed.

#12237 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

"The central secret of conjuring...is a manipulation of interest." (Henry Hay, The Amateur Magicians Handbook, pg. 2, copyright 1972).

If you are going to quote from books by magicians, you need to at least find something from JB Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, which was published in 1952, and is still considered to be the bible of close up magic.

#12238 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

What's your Magic Girl serial number?

#12239 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Maybe as a prerequisite to playing the game, he should get anyone that does play it, to fill out a quick survey form, while the playing experience is still on their minds. He could even ask the question about if the would consider buying one, and if so, they could leave a name and email for him to pass on more information.

Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 4.52.25 PM.png

#12240 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

This is a great idea.

Bill, I would do this, it will cut through the noise of whatever appears online.

"Come try Magic Girl & Let us know what you think!"

Every player gets a questionnaire. 10 or less questions.

I would NOT ask people if they want to buy one. Too loaded a question. Just get real feedback of what people see there.

And on the questionnaire you can collect info for updates if they are interested.

"Please write your email address to join the mailing list for further news and updates about the progress of Magic Girl"

#12241 4 years ago

That dunk tank won't work. John would never get wet. People would be throwing balls at his head instead of the target.

#12242 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 4.52.25 PM.png

Haha, you make me laugh lowepg.

#12243 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I can confirm asset creation was not a costly endeavor for these projects... At least from me

Yeah well, you already know my thoughts on that part going forward.

Quoted from Linolium:

Not a whole lot more frankly. And it's worth every penny. Quality products are worth more long term then quick products short term.

Well it depends on what "not a whole lot more" means. In the grand scheme of things? Sure, there are lots of options. But what exactly are you talking about here? Every screen has to be created from scratch. There are zero assets to fall back on. You can do parallax scrolling and other "motion comic" style tricks with 2D art, but you still have to generate all that art before you can even start animating.

Face it, the budget for these games never added up. They were so expensive you expected awesome quality, but the quantity was never there for a real budget to appear to create all that stuff.

If Alien doesn't sell 1000 games I'm going to personally consider it a failure. Both as a game and as something that compensates my tine. And frankly at 1000 I'm paying myself a shit rate. We're talking what? 40 games after he raised the limit? The math doesn't work. All there is to it.

200 games maybe. But the $16k no longer makes any sense (if it ever did) for that kind of quantity. That's a more common game than America's Most Haunted at that point.

#12244 4 years ago

people gotta remember... this is not going to be a finished prototype... Can't you see all the waves of hate coming about how miserable the game is already?

It's a flipping skeleton... playfield layout, art direction, and the cabinet layout are really probably the biggest things to learn from this demo.

As long as it's not an empty cabinet.. and covered translit... people should be ecstatic

#12245 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

LOL the dunk tank was my idea!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#12246 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

The account has been on pinside for .... 12 hours.

lol that's him. His first post was to call BH an alcoholic. Still desperate for attention.

Moderators: can you dump him for the sixth time now?

#12247 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

After all is said and done, this behavior illustrates he has not a speck of integrity. Having worked with many small businesses people, I have seen 99.9% pay their vendors/contractors/employees/bank before they ever take a salary - sometimes for years.
Would never do business with anyone like John. Speaks volumes of his charcter.

What character ?!?!?!?!?!?! Just because you are a character does not mean you have it -___- *nod to the Wolf on that one*

Quoted from lowepg:

"Hey, this new option is a super-long-shot but MAYBE it will payoff"
"IF we go home now, we might just get pennies on the dollar, but maybe, just maybe, if we hang on there's a chance"
"at this point, what do we have to lose"
"who cares if the finance persons background is filled with fraud, THIS TIME, it will be better"
As an outside observer, you could seemingly lift many of these wishful comments right out a compulsive gambling recovery meeting.
This concept that - even though ALL logical evidence leads to failure - just ONE MORE bet might turn it all around - is sad....
zidware.jpg

Just reading all of that re-affirms why I will never, ever, EVER pre-pay. I have trouble pre-paying my rent, much the less something that is a FRICKING TOY (sorry guys, I know we don't want to admit it, but face it, pinball machines are BIG toys).

Quoted from SunKing:

My guess is that Bill does not want everyone to know how much he paid Jpop for the license. Hearing that Jpop got a big $$ payout, while simultaneously announcing 'the games won't get made' won't sit well with most.

I can understand that....however....

After all this community has been through and all the lies John has told, and all the BS cloak and dagger, smoke and mirrors BS John put everyone through, and the vendors not being paid, and people reasoning with their families to get this game only to come back ashamed and embarrassed, and some people nearly going fricking bankrupt, SOMEONE SOMEWHERE needs to man the f up

O_O - John Popadiuk, we are looking at YOU. You have an obligation and a duty to FACE the music.

Dude, I am telling you, if that guy gets off scott free from what he has done, I'm going to start making grandiose promises with my spare time, play arts and crafts for years on end, live off other people's hard earned money, and then go "no money, no games, don't sue me". Why the heck should I work wearing the uniform to defend someone like THAT?

I remember now; it's because I have integrity. Something John couldn't buy if it was given away.

Quoted from benheck:

You know how many lakes would dry up from all the water they would need to keep the tank full?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People pre-pay, preorder, prebuy stuff all the time when there's absolutely no need for it.

I don't always pre-pay, but when I do, it's for stuff that actually EXISTS (ie, my pool table being refurbished now for an October delivery...it at least EXISTS).

#12248 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah if I were one of the victims in this whole thing my first instinct would definitely be "spend more money."

Wut.gif

#12249 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I dunno... it's 1/40th the amount that he has lost (20k).

Even if you never got a penny back... knowing this last outlay helped put the offending party out in the street would be well worth it (for me anyway)

#12250 4 years ago

Sooo, on a positive note thought I'd share this as I reminisce through what files I still have access to

I actually did each character and element separately as vector art knowing john might move things around or pull pieces for reuse. Was quite an undertaking to keep my process as natural as possible. I first did this on KISS and finally perfected it here so I wouldn't loose anything in the translation... Was pretty proud of it anyway...
image.jpg

Carry on...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chatham, MA
$ 50.00
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 245 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside