(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 244 of 487.
#12151 4 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

This is actually kind of funny. The last thing I was laying out, before I threw in the towel, were LED boards for pop bumpers. He specifically said that he wanted to be sure no one saw them until the game was released. Otherwise, "If it got out, Cointaker would have them up on their web site six months before the game came out and they wouldn't be special." Saying that Chris would steal his ideas if he could.

Funny he gave me a display to show them at Expo last year.?????

#12152 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

No money was given to John are you nuts. .... It basically was just enough to keep lights on and get the information needed into the machines..

I'm confused. Was it "no money", or "just enough to keep lights on and get the information needed"?

#12153 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

No money was given to John are you nuts. It's MY money why would I want to piss more away. The outline was given on the owners thread they can divulge if they like. It basically was just enough to keep lights on and get the information needed into the machines....nut shell

Well it was asked of you at least a dozen times. Thank your for the nut shell synopsis. That at least puts to bed that $100k wasn't going to john.

#12154 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Act now and do all you can to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible. I would say the best thing you can do is to force him in to bankruptcy ASAP.

You're still beating the litigation drum pretty hard, and I've already said my piece in response (which is that buyers may do better to hold off and see if this ends up in bankruptcy soon to save the expense of civil litigation). But this did make me wonder -- have you taken your own advice and filed suit against Kevin/SkitB for Predator yet? If it's critical in your mind that Zidware customers sue right now, wouldn't the same hold true for SkitB victims? Most of the arguments you've offered apply equally well to SkitB, and unlike JPop (who is at least claiming to be out of money), Kevin says he's sitting on a pile of cash.

#12155 4 years ago

As I said earlier, I think it would be very helpful if Pintasia could start a Q&A thread for MG/RAZA owners, to start building an adequate level of trust that might faciliate current and even future 'owners' staying with the programme...

Currently, to put it in a nutshell, it's not terribly impressive, professional or encouraging.

#12156 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

NDA: No Delivery Agreement.

JPOP: Just Pink On Purple

#12157 4 years ago
Quoted from lost8ball:

I'm not gonna lie - my whole takeaway on your post was "lowepg's been to compulsive gambler meetings?" I bet you a dollar you're going to regret admitting that.

lol- if that was your WHOLE take-away, then I failed.

I'm not a gambler... if I were, you'd probably see ME on the hand-wringing-side of the TH, TBL, Predator, MG drama....

I've also never been held hostage, but I can also connect some of the behavior seen here to Stockholm Syndrome...

#12158 4 years ago

wcbrandes - I'm not an owner but am curious as to the manufacturing price point you need to get these games made. If you are not able to reach this amount with the game in its current state are you just going to write this off as a loss or try and remove some game features in order to bring the manufacturing cost down?

#12159 4 years ago

sure I will hire more people to sit around and answer questions for you all day There were phone numbers given out to all owners and I believe I have contacted every last vendor that I know. Its ok it's just my money don't stress about it too much balls

#12160 4 years ago

Jpop said....

mexico_cartman-1247607.jpg
#12161 4 years ago
Quoted from Shorty:

wcbrandes - I'm not an owner but am curious as to the manufacturing price point you need to get these games made. If you are not able to reach this amount with the game in its current state are you just going to write this off as a loss or try and remove some game features in order to bring the manufacturing cost down?

our plan was to see if the thing is even a good game to produce. Does it flip well, does it have potential to be a great game etc etc. We haven't seen the thing yet in public. We also have to consider BOM and I won't mention names here but many of the pros stepped up to lend a hand in getting to the bottom of that. right now just throwing money at it to finish one and see if even worth going to BOM. this would be the next step yes shorty

#12162 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Another question nobody has asked:
Of the list of "Cars a pin can fit inside" how many get scratched off that list with this tall cabinet?
My guess is a lot, since it's the folded down height that is the killer.

Not only that, MG most likely will not fit a standard pin cardboard box, that Stern or JJP has.
That will add some cost to get a custom box made. That might not be much, but it's an added cost to be considered, along with all the others.

#12163 4 years ago

wcbrandes - Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and best of luck to you and everyone involved.

#12164 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm baffled why people (apparently) were paid in ful for any of these games.

You underestimate the psychological pull of "pre-paying" for something.

You pay for something...it means you are going to get it, at least in the minds of psyched up buyers who couldn't believe that they were gonna be one of a precious few to own the "next BBB," in this case a completely unleashed Jpop producing something that is gonna be better than CV, TOM and TOTAN combined, and far more exclusive than almost any other game ever produced. People got so fired up for this, and paying in full provided that shot of endorpins that kept the whole scam going.

it's the same reason people go for shitty concert "presale" tickets - when if they just have some patience they'll get better seats at possibly lower cost.

Not blaming anybody but I think it's a good explanation. When you want something THAT BAD...a super exclusive game...concert tickets...people will pre-pay just to have a bird in hand so to speak. People pre-pay, preorder, prebuy stuff all the time when there's absolutely no need for it.

Even watching these videos applejuice posted...well it kinda makes me want to spend money.

#12165 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Chris, how much input did John have on those rotating flasher lights,

Rotating Flashers?
far out
I suggested that idea to cointaker years ago on another forum

#12166 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm curious, to those that have seen it - Is there much compelling reason to have such a deep/custom playfield and cabinet? It seems to me from the little I've seen that the game could have been engineered for regular depth. Some changes obviously, but for the costs of going "custom everything", there doesn't seem to be that much added to the game? A curly ramp and a mini playfield? Both I'm sure could be modified to fit a regular game.

I've seen it, yesterday. Yes, most everything is custom. It could be changed to a standard rails, apron - all kinds of stuff - but it won't be handmade or small run custom designed parts anymore.

For other readers who don't think there could be $6k difference in BoM from the handmade v. "standard available" parts - see my earlier post from a few hours ago.

#12167 4 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Rotating Flashers?
far out
I suggested that idea to cointaker years ago on another forum

Wasn't the rotating flashers used on Wizard Blocks? Or the prototype 3rd Pin2K game?

#12168 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Yea, unless he is legally bound for some reason to keep the details of the deal confidential i think those beans should be spilled. It would build a foundation of trust & transparency.

Maybe Bill has "spilled" to those with an order. Why would any pinsider be entitled or expect any deal specifics on $ to be posted here?

#12169 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Wasn't the rotating flashers used on Wizard Blocks? Or the prototype 3rd Pin2K game?

If these are similar and Cointaker is able to get any of them back from John I'm pretty sure there's a market for them. I love those things.

#12170 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Maybe Bill has "spilled" to those with an order. Why would any pinsider be entitled or expect any deal specifics on $ to be posted here?

You have to think big picture. Does Pintasia just want to appease current buyers and close shop or do they want new customers? For me to be a new customer I want that info.

#12171 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You could probably lower the pivot point to get the height, you might then need extra long legs to get the necessary slope. I did this on one of my games, and Stern has done it (you will see Pinball life carries two different versions of the bracket that mounts to the playfield). John would likely need to go even lower, which means it would probably need legs longer then standard, put making those would probably be a hell of lot more economical then a totally new cabinet design, glass, etc.

OMG. If that is true.... that the custom cabinet could have been avoided by modifying an existing cabinet rail and then just putting longer legs on the back to compensate for the pitch?

Things are NUTS then.

Could also be a HUGE BOM savings for production if these games live at all.

And John spent forever (and $$$) creating those new cabinets.

#12172 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

sure I will hire more people to sit around and answer questions for you all day There were phone numbers given out to all owners and I believe I have contacted every last vendor that I know. Its ok it's just my money don't stress about it too much balls

Answer or don't. That's your call. Just don't feign exasperation when people fill in the blanks.

Remind me again, you're hoping to sell standards to the masses yes? Perhaps you may want to retain kaneda from zidware for your pr.

Ps, it's your money?!? I don't think I have seen you say that before?

#12173 4 years ago
Quoted from Shorty:

wcbrandes - Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and best of luck to you and everyone involved.

I agree, good luck.

I have to say form the perspective of 'not an owner', hearing both sides of the problem/solution has me at odds. I mean both sides pro and con have their merits, I don't envy you guys involed, I only hope John feels half the pain and anguish that the owners and the vendors and the new owners are experiencing.

Part of the buyout should have a provision that John has to read this entire thread and reply to each point raise about his dickiness.

#12174 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Useful information- thank you. That rules out the consumer complaint strategy IMO.
After a lot of thought and research, I've now decided to join the class action lawsuit against Zidware/Mr & Mrs Popadiuk. If you want to join it too, here are the details:
___
I am aware that the office of attorney Zane Smith has been contacted by a significant number of persons who have placed deposits or deposited monies with Zidware. His office is handling these claims on an individual basis but grouping them together in the lawsuit currently pending in Cook County Circuit Court in Chicago Illinois. They are taking these cases with a $500.00 nonrefundable retainer and a 25% contingency basis [i.e. you pay $500 only, and they take 25% of any judgments etc later].
Contact details:
Zane D. Smith
Zane D. Smith & Associates, Ltd.
415 N.LaSalle – Suite 501
Chicago, Illinois 60654
(312) 245-0031
(312) 245-0022 – Fax
zane@zanesmith.com
___
Go for it, guys! It may likely lead to nothing financially, but IMO it's the right thing to do, and the best of a lousy set of options for vaporware 'owners'. TBH I find it hard to believe that this is where the MG/RAZA 'journey' has ended, but it's the reality and we have to deal with it. Time for action.

Thanks for the offer man but I will just take my chances. Take a portion of that $500 and go to Chicago and see for yourself there's no money. He's been paying himself a big fat salary worthy of a legendary PINBALL INVENTOR and countless 304 stainless samples he's been dragging around to shows, he's customized every single part on the game. Coupled with cash burn...ugh. Have you guys not been paying attention to the way he has been running his business these last 4 years?

I'd be out another $500 then hope to recoup 75% of 1/200th of zero dollars. No thanks.

The lawyers will pocket 100 grand of your money...easy. From you! That's why they are taking your case. Not because they are good guys. If you are lucky you might see $200. If by some luck there was anything left you better believe john is spending it on his legal defense now. It's a lose-lose.

Good luck to you.

#12175 4 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

If these are similar and Cointaker is able to get any of them back from John I'm pretty sure there's a market for them. I love those things.

saw some cool down pointing spots as well, don't know if that was CT but if so, he should have the ability to market and profit from those.

#12176 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

You have to think big picture. Does Pintasia just want to appease current buyers and close shop or do they want new customers? For me to be a new customer I want that info.

There will be a billion pictures at the NW show. Pintasia will likely share tons of details and feedback they get at the show. New customers will need to be sold on the whole concept and know its feasiable, and Bill and team and us will know alot more by June 15.

#12177 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

that the custom cabinet could have been avoided by modifying an existing cabinet

that is probably not the biggest thing, getting cabinets built a slightly different size is not a huge deal, but it all those other custom stuff that then comes with that. Meaning, custom size glass,which is really not owner friendly (and mean no invisiglass on this high priced game), custom backglass size as well, custom hinge/brackets, and I'm guessing some of these others as well: custom lockdown bar, custom lock down receiver, custom aprons, all of which make no sense on a limited run machine vs if he was looking to do 1000.

Some of the custom electronics to me is even crazier. The P-roc and board set was there, why re-invent that. Maybe the RGB stuff was worth looking at new, since there were not a lot of options for that at the time. AT the end of the day, I can't possibly see how the electronics game out cheeper this way then using P-roc or other boards already in existence.

If it was me, near the very top of my list of 'how we are going to do things' would be "use common parts", right below that on the list would be "if you cant find a common part to do the job, go look again".

#12178 4 years ago

Well, Ben's point alone about transporting these games other than by pick-up truck. To me that would have been a non-starter.

#12179 4 years ago

Who exactly is this Zane D. Smith, and how did he get involved? Is he a friend of someone with money at stake? Do we even know if he is a competent attorney?

#12180 4 years ago

Maybe we should do an exclusive $25000 version (for people without a pick up )with a small block chevy in it so you can drive the pinball home.

aa mg 8.jpg
#12181 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Not only that, MG most likely will not fit a standard pin cardboard box, that Stern or JJP has.
That will add some cost to get a custom box made. That might not be much, but it's an added cost to be considered, along with all the others.

Custom boxes with full color digital printing cost us around $50 each in quantity of 100 at a time.

image.jpg
#12182 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, Ben's point alone about transporting these games other than by pick-up truck

Or popemobile
130304135230-popemobile-2010-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Looks like he's either scrubbing the magic girl dev blog, or he's flipping all the videos to private. What a great way to spend time
https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com

#12183 4 years ago

Are you the playfield prankster?

Quoted from Frankster:

I laughed when Ben signed up, even with the understanding of his habitual drinking. BH did parlay his involvement into games that had a bit more than dead shots found in Lost, so well done.
Hopes and dreams do not make games magically appear. Grit, determination, business acumen, connections, favors, smiles, work ethic, accountability, distribution, design, testing, networks, experience, smarts, luck along with many other things come into play when making games actually appear.
GLWTS

#12184 4 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

If so... apply "troll insta-ban". Repeat procedure as necessary.

#12185 4 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

What's a "playfield prankster"?

#12186 4 years ago

I think Zane D. Smith is a waste of money. But I'm sure he loves it.

He could have a 25% or 5% or whatever % contingency

25% of zero is zero. This is a lay down for him

$500 times the number of people willing to waste another $500

Better option would be to take all that $$$ and go to Vegas and put it on red or black

#12187 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

sure I will hire more people to sit around and answer questions for you all day

Could I introduce you to the 'quote' link at the top of posts? It would help everyone greatly to know who you are actually responding to

#12188 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

What's a "playfield prankster"?

He's a mucho annoying troll that was banned to the graveyard of 'ole RGP. Over there he has an audience of about 12 people

#12189 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Who exactly is this Zane D. Smith, and how did he get involved? Is he a friend of someone with money at stake? Do we even know if he is a competent attorney?

Simply the first lawyer someone used... and since no one else was going to do any legwork (common theme..) mob floats to easiest path to a willing lawyer they know. Simply follow the guy walking in front you...

#12190 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

My guess is that Bill does not want everyone to know how much he paid Jpop for the license.

He was made an offer that he couldn't refuse.

Offer-he-cant-refuse.png
#12191 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

lol- if that was your WHOLE take-away, then I failed

It was tongue in cheek. I picked an obscure line to note and then the following line started with "I bet..", uhh nevermind.

My sense of humor is better suited around a card table with 5 guys drinking JD. I'm pretty sure the Jack has a lot to do with it sounding better.

#12192 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Thanks for the offer man but I will just take my chances. Take a portion of that $500 and go to Chicago and see for yourself there's no money. He's been paying himself a big fat salary worthy of a legendary PINBALL INVENTOR and countless 304 stainless samples he's been dragging around to shows, he's customized every single part on the game. Coupled with cash burn...ugh. Have you guys not been paying attention to the way he has been running his business these last 4 years?
I'd be out another $500 then hope to recoup 75% of 1/200th of zero dollars. No thanks.
The lawyers will pocket 100 grand of your money...easy. From you! That's why they are taking your case. Not because they are good guys. If you are lucky you might see $200. If by some luck there was anything left you better believe john is spending it on his legal defense now. It's a lose-lose.
Good luck to you.

So you'd rather not sue JPop and just let him escape any consequences at all from taking your money and squandering it?

You want him to just be able to take whatever money he got from Pintasia after he knew he couldn't make your pin and not have any liability for doing so? You'd be letting him off the hook.

All because you might lose $500.00 (at most) by going after him for the money he took?

Is it because you genuinely believe that Pintasia is going to give you all of your money back, and they won't do that if you sue JPop?

#12193 4 years ago

I think it's going to be difficult to get an honest opinion of the game after the NW show. You know there's going to people who are going to say the game sucks just because they have their agenda or sour grapes. Many will give the usual patent answers about it not being worth $10-16K, the layout sucks, no flow, weak flippers, unfinished code etc etc, when in fact they probably never even played it or went to the show. I hope Bill keeps that in mind. I think he should consider taking an informal anonymous poll from people after they play it. It should also be said that obviously the code will be incomplete.

#12194 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Well, a quick google search reveals he has NOT been convicted of mass business fraud and running a ponzi scheme, so right there he has climbed to one of the more competent folks involved in this so far...

#12195 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You could contact ZNET, the Pinsider who was the first to retain his services and ask.

#12196 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So you'd rather not sue JPop and just let him escape any consequences at all from taking your money and squandering it?
You want him to just be able to take whatever money he got from Pintasia after he knew he couldn't make your pin and not have any liability for doing so? You'd be letting him off the hook.
All because you might lose $500.00 (at most) by going after him for the money he took?
Is it because you genuinely believe that Pintasia is going to give you all of your money back, and they won't do that if you sue JPop?

No that's not it at all, I don't want to let JPOP off the hook, I just don't want throw any more money at him or his cause at all. Especially with no chance of recovering any back. We aren't talking about criminal charges here. If they find a way to make those charges stick then by all means get him on the hook if lawyers can prove he was fraudulent. I'm just not willing to invest another $500 in JPOP in any way shape or form.

Sue him if you want revenge or it makes you feel better but anyone who thinks they are getting a 75% refund by throwing $500 at a lawyer is just going to learn a $500 lesson.

I'd rather spend that money on another Color DMD and support someone who does good for the community. In fact, I think I will.

#12197 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

He's a mucho annoying troll that was banned to the graveyard of 'ole RGP. Over there he has an audience of about 12 people

The account has been on pinside for .... 12 hours.

#12198 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Finally, some game play video that i shot some time before i got the ramps, install them and made updates for their inclusion. Its quite a short vid and i don't really shoot much, but please appreciate that this was just another dev video for testing out certain features.

I realize this is still very much WIP... but was that score going to be in your face for most of the game (barring a couple animations here and there)? ... that'd be a complete waist of a screen if it was...

For 16k, I'd expect video detal similar in quality to the background of Carl's stage (Ignore the fighting, just watch the background animations)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ijW7hMlPbE0#t=79

#12199 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

No that's not it at all, I don't want to let JPOP off the hook, I just don't want throw any more money at him or his cause at all. Especially with no chance of recovering any back. We aren't talking about criminal charges here. If they find a way to make those charges stick then by all means get him on the hook if lawyers can prove he was fraudulent. I'm just not willing to invest another $500 in JPOP in any way shape or form.
Sue him if you want revenge or it makes you feel better but anyone who thinks they are getting a 75% refund by throwing $500 at a lawyer is just going to learn a $500 lesson.
I'd rather spend that money on another Color DMD and support someone who does good for the community. In fact, I think I will.

I'm confident that JPop hopes that all buyers think like you do.

No lawsuits, no liability, no bankruptcy. Just JPop sailing off into the sunset with no worries in the world.

#12200 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Zane Smith is a well-known litigation attorney in the Chicago area. He has been practicing law since 1983 (32 years), and he ran for U.S. Congress as a Democrat back in 2006. He is the founding partner of Zane D. Smith & Associates Ltd., a small firm located just north of the Loop in Chicago. The firm specializes in medical malpractice and personal injury, but is involved in a broad array of general litigation matters, including contract litigation like the complaint recently filed against Zidware Inc and the Popadiuk officers.

https://w3.courtlink.lexisnexis.com/cookcounty/FindDock.asp?NCase=&SearchType=2&Database=1&case_no=&Year=&div=&caseno=&PLtype=2&sname=popadiuk&CDate=

--------
"Zane D. Smith & Associates Ltd.

Since the firm was founded 25 years ago, its goal has always been to maintain quality representation through personal attention to its clients’ diverse needs.

The firm’s practice focuses on complex litigation plus a broad range of commercial and real estate transaction services. Litigation personal injury, professional negligence, includes civil rights, employment, intellectual property, construction, labor, ERISA, class actions, franchise law, contract and tort liability. Judgments have been in excess of $20 million.

The transactional practice includes the purchase and sales of business, negotiating financial terms of major commercial, industrial and residential real estate transactions."

http://www.zanesmith.com/
--------
"Zane D. Smith

Mr. Smith has been practicing law in Illinois since 1983. He was admitted to the State of Illinois, Federal Bar and Federal Trial Lawyers Bar. He is the past chairman of the Chicago Bar Association Tort Litigation Committee and is an active member of the Illinois and American Trial Lawyers Associations. As the managing partner of the firm, Mr. Smith concentrates his practice on complex litigation and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has obtained millions in verdicts for clients as well as protected the rights and interests of corporations. Mr. Smith has extensive jury trial experience at both the state and federal level. He was the Vice Chair of the Winnetka Park board and a past candidate for the US Congress."

http://www.zanesmith.com/zane-smith
--------

Regarding running for elective office, Zane wrote the following article on the Chicago Bar Association's "Tort Reporter" several years ago...

http://www.chicagobar.org/AM/CommitteePages/tortreporter/06_electedoffice.asp

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
6,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Somerset, KY
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 244 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside