(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 236 of 487.
#11751 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Was it BC or just 'canada'? I didn't recall seeing things specifically saying BC... but that copy/paste hack job was so impossible to digest I probably only viewed a 1/5 of the content.
One thing we do know is... google her name and you see just how common it is. So I'm gonna need more than just 'canada' + 'same name' to call them the same people.

Not reading something and dismissing it isn't a great practice. But you're right, that's why Sabrina should specifically address all concerns and somebody should independently verify her responses.

#11752 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

He's been auditioning for a gig and hoping someone with an assembly line brought him on and his games. Pat took his garage game to JJP. Pop was just adding games to his garage haul until someone bit. KISS license was a home run swing. If he could wow them and secure that, Uncle Gary had to come a callin'.

The problem with this theory is that JPop had already fixed a maximum production limit on each game, a limit so low that no manufacturer would find it profitable to pursue. The only way around the profitability issue is to drastically increase production limits which would dishonor the original limited production agreement with his buyers. It was apparent from the beginning that MG was going to be a financial loss for JPop, so I suppose the current options (bankruptcy or increased production) were pre-ordained from the outset if JPop was ultimately unwilling to take those losses himself.

Where it got really hairy is all these other games he developed... was the entire point to make Zidware look like a highly productive game design studio ripe for buying? If so, that would confirm that JPop never intended to deliver MG himself. I believe he did intend for the games to be delivered, just that he personally didn't have the means to do so. And here we are.

#11753 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Not reading something and dismissing it isn't a great practice. But you're right, that's why Sabrina should specifically address all concerns and somebody should independently verify her responses.

I read what was coherent and credible. Pontificating everyone should read something that is unintelligible or unsubstantiated is not 'great practice' either. I would also advocate one build a better case before drawing conclusions of fact and poking all my neighbors that the should buy in to.

Do people have concept of integrity or credibility anymore? Why pass along stuff you wouldn't be willing to put your own name to?

#11754 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I'd love to play this game, or see it made, but at this point it seems like that crappy car you had as a teenager, and at a certain point you're better off taking it to the dump than putting more money into it.

Well everybody I knew who had a crappy car in high school, including myself, made sure to invest a couple hundred bucks in a KICKASS STEREO!!!!

#11755 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I read what was coherent and credible. Pontificating everyone should read something that is unintelligible or unsubstantiated is not 'great practice' either. I would also advocate one build a better case before drawing conclusions of fact and poking all my neighbors that the should buy in to.
Do people have concept of integrity or credibly anymore? Why pass along stuff you wouldn't be willing to put your own name to?

Because this is specifically a ponzi scheme being taken over by mysterious benefactors with questionable motives. So when people bring up evidence, substantiated or not, it should all be considered. You seem very quick to dismiss anything that isn't "air tight" and that is common for people who are emotionally invested.

#11757 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

He actually blamed Spooky for torpedoing a supposed deal he had with Jack (this was like 2 years ago) which, even if true, was his own fault for involving me or Chuck in any capacity (it IS true Jack hates us)

I'm curious as to why Jack hates you guys.

#11758 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Was it BC or just 'canada'? I didn't recall seeing things specifically saying BC..

40.Canada issues DFRF Enterprises investment fraud warning on May.07, 2015
41."...In what appears to be the result of the first confirmed regulatory investigation into DFRF Enterprises, the British Columbia Securities Commission has issued an investor fraud warning.In an alert issued on May 6th, the Commission warned the general public ‘not to purchase memberships or other securities of DFRF Enterprises LLC, DFRF Enterprises Ltd., or other companies associated with Daniel Fernandez Rojo Filho..."

This was clearly posted early in the pastebin page, so nothing to do with the "copy/paste hackjob" being hard to follow. Pretty clear to me, and while Sabrina Wei may be a common name, the amount of Sabrina Weis in BC with multiple professional designations and high level positions of financial trust are probably fewer. That's why it should be directly asked if this Sabrina Wei has any connection with companies associated with Daniel Fernandez etc.

#11759 4 years ago

Really? This story isn't common knowledge? Jack got pissy with Charlie for starting his own pinball company. Jack was working with Charlie as a kind of middle-man for cabs (and maybe PFs?) through the place Charlie used to work, and somehow felt that meant Charlie was beholden to him to never do such a thing.

#11760 4 years ago

And furthermore, people who set up companies with ill intent will always give ownership (majority or full) to someone with a clean record and good reputation. However, the financial crimes are committed by a person of trust, sometimes on salary, sometimes contracted, while the ownership plays "patsy." Business goes bankrupt, owner says they were taken for a ride, not enough evidence to convict financial manager who perpetrated the crime so charges are dropped. Bankrupt corporation, money is gone. Move along.

Clearly the pinball community is an easy target with deep pockets. We need to work together and protect ourselves by not sneering off the people who want to protect the community by asking questions and vetting the companies and individuals in the pinball economy. Look at all the posts with tinfoil hat comments and conspiracy theory comments even after getting burned 4 times in the past few years. How are those people not the joke at this point?

#11761 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Here are a few more files i have found from the development archive.

dude, the more you show that was done from 2 years ago, the more I shake my head at why this sat for so long. Pretty soon my head is going to fall off from wear.

giphy[1].gif

#11762 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Really? This story isn't common knowledge? Jack got pissy with Charlie for starting his own pinball company. Jack was working with Charlie as a kind of middle-man for cabs (and maybe PFs?) through the place Charlie used to work, and somehow felt that meant Charlie was beholden to him to never do such a thing.

I haven't followed much of anything when it comes to pinball controversy, but if this is the story, it's insane. I HAVE heard about Jack being a bit of a bag sometimes, but this sort of stuff really bums me out to hear. That and Jack's lack of support for games that trade hands. I still sort of want a WoZ, though.

Carry on with the JPop fiasco!

#11763 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Good thing he did not bring this to shows. He would have collected even more deposits and might have announced another game by now. This show may have gone on another two years before the music finally stopped.

It's true.

I'm sure even the rudimentary videos appejuice is posting has some folks here reflexively reaching for their wallets.

#11764 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

In his defense, I looked at the pastebin file and it is hardly intelligible. If something reads like it was written by a madman, 95% of the audience will dismiss it. If you're able to make something of it, why not compile a list of the salient allegations from all the rambling and post it here for others to consider? Then people with "skin in the game" can weigh those allegations and Pintasia's responses (if any) in deciding whether to sign on for the new venture.

#11765 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Well that's how John sounded about JJP or Stern anytime they came up "Oh, they should be hiring REAL designers..."

Sadly that seems to be a recurring theme with John.

And it seems JJP and Stern did just that.

LTG : )

#11766 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTASIA:

There are a number of people all with the name Sabrina Wei, and unfortunately some of those people have had a checkered past.

The more I look at this the more I realize the odds of this being true are incalculable. Sabrina Wei, huh? Yeah I know three of them myself, but only one of them is hot.

Quoted from PINTASIA:

So for those people who are the naysayers and can't stand the fact that someone has truly stepped up out of the goodness of their heart to help the pinball community and want to just try to dig up stuff to hurt Bill and Pintasia...stop, just stop.

Sorry, but if it walks like a duck, you know.

#11767 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

In his defense, I looked at the pastebin file and it is hardly intelligible. If something reads like it was written by a madman, 95% of the audience will dismiss it.

I don't even give a toss if everything in that file is true. None of it changes that John screwed the pooch on this and blew my money.

If someone else wants to try and build the machine AND give me a credit for my lost money against buying it... have at it.

#11768 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Sadly that seems to be a recurring theme with John.
And it seems JJP and Stern did just that.
LTG : )

Oh snap!

Yeah, John would last about 3 days at Stern I'd imagine.

#11769 4 years ago

When I look at those video files and think back to my conversations with John and at the time I and SteveP were begging him to open the flow of info and how reluctant he was to do it.

The day he opened up the Dev blogs I talked to him and it was like him birthing a baby that he had to give up for adoption. "I feel totally naked".

He has severe control anxiety!

The "project manager" that he had for a short time told me he was convinced John could have a game ready if he would have let the sourcing and production guys do their jobs

He was out of money by then

#11770 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Here are a few more files i have found from the development archive.
First up is a dev video showing operation of the top rollover lanes. I took various videos to test out different features effects and sounds etc
» YouTube video
Next is a video i took for showing the testing of some motors on the aux coil tests in the service mode.
» YouTube video
Finally, some game play video that i shot some time before i got the ramps, install them and made updates for their inclusion. Its quite a short vid and i don't really shoot much, but please appreciate that this was just another dev video for testing out certain features.
» YouTube video
I will continue to look for other vids and pics to post on things that were developed during my time there.

Damn, I just fell in love with the little music I heard....

#11771 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Is this why the newer cabs didn't have direct print and had decals instead? New cab supplier?

#11772 4 years ago

RobT I'm sure Jack switched the method to save money, not for a vendetta.

#11773 4 years ago

Seeing those videos from applejuice, you can see why the "Shop Tour" was so effective at buying John time. It is exciting stuff.

Unfortunately you can have the greatest pinball in the world and still run your business into the ground.

#11774 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

lol

I didn't mean to imply a vendetta Ben, I just wasn't sure if the new cab vendor was capable of doing the direct print stuff that had a clear coat over it (which looked great).

#11775 4 years ago

The really F'd up thing about all of this... is now we see confirmation that MG was "playable" in some sense for years, and all John had to do was BUILD 19 of them.... could have easily taken RAZA money to build Magic Girls.... I mean, we basically all expected him to. But his mismanagement was so bad, not only could he not build 19, he couldn't even finish the prototype!

HOW BADLY DOES ONE HAVE TO SCREW UP TO SCREW UP THIS BADLY????

John will be a pinball legend, this story will be told for decades.

#11776 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

lol
I didn't mean to imply a vendetta Ben, I just wasn't sure if the new cab vendor was capable of doing the direct print stuff that had a clear coat over it (which looked great).

I was told it was a supply issue...Jack couldn't get the clearcoated cabs fast enough and that caused a big part of the delay. Whether that's true or not, who knows? He also said the decaled cabs cost him more (!) than the clearcoated ones.

#11777 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

You seem very quick to dismiss anything that isn't "air tight" and that is common for people who are emotionally invested.

Not at all - It's called credibility before leaping in head first. You're quick to leap because you see things that MIGHT be connected.. where I say 'nice lead.. now close the gap' before I close my eyes and leap in with you.

Constrast that with you.. who are already calling it a ponzi scheme and questioning people based on google fu.

#11778 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

This was clearly posted early in the pastebin page, so nothing to do with the "copy/paste hackjob" being hard to follow. Pretty clear to me, and while Sabrina Wei may be a common name, the amount of Sabrina Weis in BC with multiple professional designations and high level positions of financial trust are probably fewer

Except that's not what your clip asserts. Your clip asserts DFRF is in BC.. not that Sabina of DFRF is in BC. You're missing the critical pieces that map a Sabina with these backgrounds to that Sabina of DFRF.

Could it all link up? Sure - but your links are full of holes.. and 99% of it is about this Daniel guy.. not linking the Sabina's together as the same person.

#11779 4 years ago

Read the article and watch the YouTube videos linked. The only question is if this is the same Sabrina. If you choose to ignore it at this point that's your choice. All I have said is she needs to address it, I don't need to write a treatise on this for your benefit.

#11780 4 years ago

Seeing and hearing the machine,i just know this is going to sink

#11781 4 years ago

I don't know anything about the delays with Magic Girl, but I do know one is done and currently shipping to Seattle for it's world debut at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show June 5th-7th. I'm sure you will be seeing a lot of photos, videos and reviews come next weekend. Look for it near the entrance where the Star Trek prototype was last year.

#11782 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Could it all link up? Sure

The fact that it's possible should give you pause.

#11783 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

But, Greg, honestly, you don't have a decision to make about the current deal on the table - we all have an interest in things ending well for people we know that do have $ at risk, and go well for all of us as a whole, because it sucks to have a hobby be a thorn in your side, it should be fund, so it does hurt, emotionally. Posts over and over saying the same thing just adds to the downer side of that dead horse. Lets bury the horse instead of standing in a circle around the horse saying what a shame that horse died. Lets move on so that we can stop wasting time on the past.

Yes, I have no money in on this, but I have an opinion...and being outside the bubble, it's rational & objective. I have not pulled an "I told you so" and don't mean to do so by saying this - but I have been telling you guys all along that this whole deal was bullshit....so maybe my perspective on this debacle has some merit. Being skeptical of Pintasia's deal is OK & rational. No one should shift all their hope and faith to Pintasia while FORGETTING about John...John should NOT be let off the hook for his crimes. Posting over and over that certain people should stop talking about it is going to have the opposite effect. See: this post.

Bullet points of where I stand:
-John ripped off ~200 people. They deserve justice. John does not get to just walk away and hide.
-I commend Pintasia for giving it a go, but Pintasia is not above skepticism and questioning.
-Original MG buyers might be happy if Pintasia succeeds...but what about the rest?

#11785 4 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I don't know anything about the delays with Magic Girl, but I do know one is done and currently shipping to Seattle for it's world debut at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show June 5th-7th. I'm sure you will be seeing a lot of photos, videos and reviews come next weekend. Look for it near the entrance where the Star Trek prototype was last year.

I will post a shitload of video and pictures for everyone. lots of video to youtube so no worries to all! None of this 1 or 2 sneaky pics of one various section

#11786 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

He actually blamed Spooky for torpedoing a supposed deal he had with Jack (this was like 2 years ago) which, even if true, was his own fault for involving me or Chuck in any capacity (it IS true Jack hates us)

Guess I trust Jack even less now.

#11788 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

not only could he not build 19, he couldn't even finish the prototype!
HOW BADLY DOES ONE HAVE TO SCREW UP TO SCREW UP THIS BADLY????

One aspect of this that really burns me up is that one of my dreams would be to be able to retire and go off to a workshop and build pinball machines for fun, maybe make something someone else might like as well.

And Popaduik was *living this dream!* He had his dream job, with no oversight, paid for by his fans and all he had to do was make less than 20 machines to keep it alive, an activity that he *loves*.

And he pissed it down the toilet! He *ruined* his own dream! By being a control freak nutjob! Then he has the audacity to not even be sorry about it and blame everyone else!

That almost makes me madder than him stealing everyone's money. Ugh!

#11789 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

According to MN sources he owed a lot of money to that company and still does from a recent post.

#11790 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

When I look at those video files and think back to my conversations with John and at the time I and SteveP were begging him to open the flow of info and how reluctant he was to do it.
The day he opened up the Dev blogs I talked to him and it was like him birthing a baby that he had to give up for adoption. "I feel totally naked".
He has severe control anxiety!
The "project manager" that he had for a short time told me he was convinced John could have a game ready if he would have let the sourcing and production guys do their jobs
He was out of money by then

This is so sad.

On the other hand, seeing the videos released by applejuice, I suppose I am not the only one to realize MG was not vapor/promiseware but an actual flippable game since... early 2014? earlier?

Which makes me think producing MG is still possible. Knowing whether Pintasia can do it, and if MG/RAZA/AIW buyers can swallow this pill is a different story.

#11791 4 years ago

What makes the most sense is to have applejuice paid up and given a bump to finish what he started. If you don't, you're essentially back at square one.

And demand weekly billing!

#11792 4 years ago

I specifically sent a PM to Pintasia and wcbrandes to clarify.

Hi Pintasia,

Just don't want to be jumping to any conclusions so I would like to ask directly if your employee Sabrina Wei is the same Sabrina Wei who has worked for companies affiliated with Daniel Fernandez Rojo Filho (particularly but not limited to DFRF Enterprises LLC.)?

Thanks

So we should have our answer soon and clear up any doubt.

#11793 4 years ago

Pay applejuice in advance. Super clear legally binding contract. C'mon Pintasia, you can do it!

Don't "cut costs", especially on a 5-figure machine.

#11794 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Read the article and watch the YouTube videos linked. The only question is if this is the same Sabrina. If you choose to ignore it at this point that's your choice. All I have said is she needs to address it, I don't need to write a treatise on this for your benefit.

After watching the linked video, I can confirm that it is the same Sabrina Wei. Bill and her attended Pin-A-Go-Go together earlier this month.

#11795 4 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

After watching the linked video, I can confirm that it is the same Sabrina Wei. Bill and her attended Pin-A-Go-Go together earlier this month.

OK well in that case, to keep it brief for those who haven't read the pastebin (and it cites references) her former company and employer have lost a lawsuit filed against them for running a ponzi scheme and authorities suspect Daniel Fernandez Rojo Filho of being an important money launderer for El Chapo and the Sinaloa drug cartel. Starts to make sense Brandes goes with the godfather as his icon.

Edit: Pastebin relinked for convenience. http://pastebin.com/DE1knCKH
Edit2: I forgot to mention there was actually a RICO lawsuit filed against DFRF Enterprises in Massachusetts

#11796 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is this why the newer cabs didn't have direct print and had decals instead? New cab supplier?

As Ben mentioned, it might have been cost related, or a combo of cost/"vendetta".

Regardless I miss those early Woz cabs with the Charlie method done.

Have you taken a close look at the latest Woz Standards? They have extra "circle" cut out around the flipper button area. Pretty tacky IMO.

#11797 4 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

Agree 100%

#11798 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

As Ben mentioned, it might have been cost related, or a combo of cost/"vendetta".
Have you taken a close look at the latest Woz Standards? They have extra "circle" cut out around the flipper button area. Pretty tacky IMO.

Extra circle? I've seen decaled games and don't know what you're referring to...
Edit: the hobbit games are decaled. Look at those.

#11799 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I have a fully assembled woz cabinet that we used for early prototyping of the sound system... It's most likely the only empty direct print woz cabinet left... Has all the emerald trim too... Some day I'll ebay that bad boy

#11800 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Extra circle? I've seen decaled games and don't know what you're referring to...
Edit: the hobbit games are decaled. Look at those.

It's cut out extra around the buttons. I have seen this on 2 standards in person. It's similar to what Stern does around the shooter housing with their decals.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 236 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside