(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 231 of 487.
#11501 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

well pintasia has only said 'flippable' - and we've seen what code Jim has done previously. It shouldn't be that hard for level headed people to understand it's not going to be much more than a flippable whitewood with basic scoring... but instead this whitewood has art and inserts. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
We've all well established John has no credibility... so why would anyone work their expectations up over what he's said? Only the people that WANT to be riled up. Manage your own expectations... don't demand someone else do it for you.

You guys are forgetting that this is the first public reveal of that fantastic, first quality, revolutionary, worthy of its own reveal cabinet of his! I guess Bill is having to get some custom tempered glass to fit in it.

#11502 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Even though most people aren't expecting a finished game, I'd imagine for some (even as forgiving as pinball folk are), that nothing is ever going to live up to the expectations of a mass produced 16k game that took 4 years to develop. Remember when duke nukem forever came out 12 years later? Everyone hated the rushed programming with linear levels, and there were competition games that were far deeper and more detailed (with better loading times). It was in the bargain bin for $5 after only being out a few months.

Toyota, the message you posted has me being quoted for stuff I did t say. Probably a hiccup in the quoting but could you please correct that? Thanks man.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#11503 4 years ago

John Poopadookie... oh man, you guys.

#11504 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

What is that current state? The faster we know it the better. Because if we wait for the show, and there's a lot of "all this for THAT?", there is probably no recovery from that.
Expectations have been repeatedly set HIGH because we've been told time and time again from people "inside" that the game is "near complete", yada yada.. So if it's anything less than that, that better be disclosed quick as a way of getting ahead of another shit storm.

I expect that it will be flippable running software that is in progress and have some hardware features that are not fully integrated.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#11505 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Zidware was looking for a "hardware/software solution" and talking to us about one since this time last year because P-ROC was "too expensive" and "people kept abandoning him."
FAST Pinball

Well at least you know now that "people kept abandoning him" translates to -> I worked on all the projects for about 2 years, had a signed contract, put 100% in, continued for an additional 3 months with no pay, sold my own pinball games to keep myself going, nearly went bankrupt and a breakdown in the process.

Thanks John. I'm going for a beer and to watch some TV...........

#11506 4 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

Did I scam people or just had a poor business plan to start with ?

Just a poor business plan. Pre-crowdfunding you had to have a solid business plan with a high chance of success to get funding. These days... not so much.

#11507 4 years ago

IMO Pintasia needs to upload Youtube videos of MG today to get some positive interest. The NW Show is too late. I've heard that 'significant numbers' of legal suits against Jpop are about to hit. Hell, I'm working up one of my own for my $20k as part of a class action. Clearcut contract breaches for MG and RAZA. It's not rocket science, and we will win.

Thus, the Pintasia deal is likely DOA. Certainly, they need to up the information stream e.g. FAQ thread on Pinside, Youtube videos, detailed emails to the 150 Zidware 'investors' etc. The information so far has been scant, vague, and doesn't address all of the great, highly pertinent questions raised in this very thread.

DO IT NOW, PINTASIA!!

It's probably already too late, but definitely will be by NW Show. Pintasia will walk away when the litigation and complaints hit. End of story. Just my tuppence, folks...

#11508 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Well at least you know now that "people kept abandoning him" translates to -> I worked on all the projects for about 2 years, had a signed contract, put 100% in, continued for an additional 3 months with no pay, sold my own pinball games to keep myself going, nearly went bankrupt and a breakdown in the process.

Which begs the question- where did the money go, Mr Popadiuk?

#11509 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Thanks Bill! That should end that discussion.

I know everyone wants to know what you paid for the license. This is my guess.

No it doesn't end the discussion at all.

People keep asking:

WHAT ARE THE TERMS OF THE DEAL?

People are going to keep asking until they get an answer. How does one of 100+ of the customers end up with the intellectual property?

This was a back room deal, shutting out all the other people who were defrauded. If the new "licensee" wants to be trusted, he needs to come clean what what kind of deal he and JPop made.

#11510 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

No kidding. I made the assumption that "abandoning him" was more of a "I have better shit to do with my time" sorta thing.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#11511 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Much cheaper and easier than the scheme you've attributed to him.

This way he comes out as the hero *and* gets his game.

"Sorry guys, I really tried to make it happen!"

#11512 4 years ago

Cuttting spiral ramps now. Wiggles are done!

image.jpg image-181.jpg
#11513 4 years ago

Doing them for all three prototypes I take it?

#11514 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Doing them for all three prototypes I take it?

appears that way.

Wonder why the need to do them for all 4???

#11515 4 years ago

Bill posted that the machine has been borrowed and will be returned to Zidware. I was as skeptical as anyone else when I received an email from John in the middle of the night. The way I think it is going is this - John was sitting there not making any progress and hoping against hope that someone would bail him out. Bill, a Zidware customer, decided to come in and play the role of adult.

Bill is getting the machine finished as much as he can before the show. Bill is bringing MG in I ts current state for a public reveal to find out if it is any good and whether or not pinheads like it. I am surprised Bill is not getting more credit for this. What better reveal is there than bringing it to a show, play testing it and subjecting it to public criticism?

Bill is also trying to figure out how much the machine will cost to make and see if there is any way to make production of the machine work from a financial viewpoint.

I get the feeling Bill has been responding to problems as they arise because their timetable was advanced by pending lawsuits and the increasing anger surrounding the project.

Maybe it will work maybe it wont but it beats all the other alternatives at this point.

#11516 4 years ago

I'd love nothing more than to be proved wrong.

#11517 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If you want to try and stop the removal of assets (obviously already occuring) then the quicker you act, the better.
If you want to start the greater eye of scrutiny on this liscense 'deal' between jpop and pintasia then the quicker the better.
There are LOTS of reasons that it is worthwhile to pay a couple hunder to have a claim started.

If bankruptcy is imminent for Zidware -- and I agree with you that it probably is -- then both of these objectives will be achieved much more quickly and efficiently in the bankruptcy than they would be in civil litigation (where it would be many months or possibly years, and definitely more than a "couple hunder," before you could freeze assets or take depositions to answer your questions re: dealings between Zidware and Pintasia).

Of course it might take more than the existing vendor suit to force Zidware into bankruptcy. But as a customer, you're probably better off letting someone more pissed off (or someone local that can more easily go the small claims route) file the suit that tips Zidware over the edge, and waiting for the bankruptcy to make your claim and find out how many rolls of nickels you'll be extracting from this fiasco.

#11518 4 years ago

THAT is the SPIRIT!! Nothing is over!! Lending a hand is pretty Fing cool in my book.

This short clip sums it up i think. GO GET IT DONE!!!

#11519 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

IMO Pintasia needs to upload Youtube videos of MG today to get some positive interest.

What real "positive interest" is there achievable in this situation? Seriously, have you thought about it?

Even if the game was 100% complete, and in all likelihood it's probably closer to 60% at best, that's the easy part to have a prototype. The hard part is producing it. They've said, "There is no money!"

What part of "There is no money" makes anything positive about this story, when people have already paid for the games??

I think a more important question everybody should ask themselves is:

Should the game ever really be made?

Is there a snowball's chance in hell MG or any of the titles could be "so awesome" they could make up for the epic clusterf&ck the producers created? Highly doubtful. The cloud hanging over this game will forever make it an "Edsel."

And, if the game is made, it could end up vindicating a guy whose incompetence and hubris defrauded many people and hurt the industry. The first thing JPop would say is, "Thanks for those who had faith in me!" He would claim all his efforts, even with the hiccups, were worth it.

If you ask me, there's a strong argument for the proto, along with all the art to be dumped in a secret landfill the way Atari did with E.T.

#11520 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Is there a snowball's chance in hell MG or any of the titles could be "so awesome" they could make up for the epic clusterf&ck the producers created? Highly doubtful. The cloud hanging over this game will forever make it an "Edsel."

+1.

I'd never play a MG because I don't want the bad juju to rub off on me.

#11521 4 years ago

I figure MG is in about the same state as TBL at Allentown - alpha code. And that was sorta fun to shoot even in that state, and Popaduik does make nice shooting layouts, so it *might* shoot nicely at the show.

I look forward to the videos. It'll probably be the only time I ever see the game playing.

#11522 4 years ago

Again, this is why I think games that don't exist or exist on a promise only shouldn't be given a
page in the Pinside archive. It lends a legitimacy to a product that hasn't been produced yet by
placing it side by side with all the machines that are in fact real and have been manufactured by
actual pinball manufacturers in the past.

19 Magic Girls have been produced according to this site's archive, for example...? Where would
that number have come from? How can that be real? This kind of thing devalues the credibility of the Pinside archive, to me.

#11523 4 years ago

Ramps for Magic Girl? WHAT YEAR IS IT?! <insert picture of Robin Williams from Jumanji>

#11524 4 years ago

This is all surreal. It's like there are two trains at night and neither knows they are speeding towards a head on collision.

#11525 4 years ago

Lets remember that at expo, Lebowski was basically a flippable game to get a feel for shots, there was almost no code, rules, animations, sounds in the game at that point. However, that was enough for folks to get a feel for the game and how it will play (as well as a good luck at the art package). It also showed they were making good progress and that a game could emerge in the not too distant future.

It would seem that is the short term goal here, a couple of years later than expected, but certainly a good first step to see if the game is even playable and interesting from a shot perspective. It will be interesting to hear the feedback from those who get to play it.

#11526 4 years ago

Am I the only person who thinks this is some kind of shell game?

How are we to believe or how can it be proven that John has no money left?

And as I said before if (as Ben suggested) it would cost ~$1M to build and code the games (so John should have known how much he could burn designing them and how much he needed to keep in reserve) so why was John spending money like crazy and can we believe there is no money left from over $1M collected when he has made so little progress and paid virtually no one involved?

#11527 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

And as I said before if (as Ben suggested) it would cost ~$1M to build and code the games (so John should have known how much he could burn designing them and how much he needed to keep in reserve) so why was John spending money like crazy and can we believe there is no money left from over $1M collected when he has made so little progress and paid virtually no one involved?

That is the MAGIC behind the MG title. Magically disappear the funds paid into one account and they reappear as salary in his own personal account.

#11528 4 years ago

Like a moth to a flame I keep coming back to read this thread and don't know why

#11529 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Nobody claimed John has no money left. Zidware has no money left. John probably has lots.

#11530 4 years ago

Maybe John can throw a big party and hire Phil Fish to DJ

#11531 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Gimme the tax returns and bank statements and it won't take long

This is all I care about at this point

Did John recognize the unearned revenue and pay tax on it? Could be a huge amendment there

#11532 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

appears that way.
Wonder why the need to do them for all 4???

Have you ever tried to make one cupcake?

#11533 4 years ago

im sending 4 sets in case he needs to move any holes are anything. smarter to have a few extras then a few short. tight timeline, i want my end of the deal covered.

#11534 4 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

im sending 4 sets in case he needs to move any holes are anything. smarter to have a few extras then a few short. tight timeline, i want my end of the deal covered.

what's the cost on something like this, is it possible to do this for home brew games at a reasonable price?

-c

#11535 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

what's the cost on something like this, is it possible to do this for home brew games at a reasonable price?
-c

That would be great!

#11536 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Gimme the tax returns and bank statements and it won't take long
This is all I care about at this point
Did John recognize the unearned revenue and pay tax on it? Could be a huge amendment there

Any particular reason your not changing the title of this thread ?

#11537 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

-c

At last tally, I think it was around $1500 for a bare-bones playfield and hardware to make it flip.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood

#11538 4 years ago

pm me, not something i want to discuss on public forum. would be lots a variables based on quantity and end results. size does matter too. lol
this MG ramp product is a show piece so we elected to go with the alum for clarity on finished product.

#11539 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

-c

I think a set of ramps is at least $3K.

#11540 4 years ago

pretty close guess back flipper, about nailed it but also included test materials and trim fixtures.

#11541 4 years ago

This is a great article in this week's Crain's Chicago Business. It is very relevant to this discussion.

It's called: "Kickstarter's Darker Side."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20150523/ISSUE01/305239994/when-kickstarter-projects-have-trouble-getting-started

#11542 4 years ago

Huh 3k? lol Pinpimp you dogging me for extra!

#11543 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Huh 3k? lol Pinpimp you dogging me for extra!

Ahahahahaha!

I just briefly entertained the idea of buying clear ramps for Spaceballs, then I saw $3k. I'll go back to learning to tig weld wireframes.

#11544 4 years ago

I was driving home yesterday, and I swear I saw John (goofy long hair guy, can't miss him) moving a pinball machine out (or in?) of the shop. It is right off the main road here so you can see the suite from the road. I tried to turn around as fast as I could but he was gone. It looked to be that EM he has, that is all yellow(ish) on the cabinet colors right?

#11545 4 years ago

Magic girl double that....thanks john Pin Pimp you deserve a medal of honor as those parts which are 1 of many were the hardest to get manufactured. Special tempered glass is easy but

#11546 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I was driving home yesterday, and I swear I saw John (goofy long hair guy, can't miss him) moving a pinball machine out (or in?) of the shop. It is right off the main road here so you can see the suite from the road. I tried to turn around as fast as I could but he was gone. It looked to be that EM he has, that is all yellow(ish) on the cabinet colors right?

He was always picking up old beat up crap from craigslist. We scavenged parts off an old playfield he had to put spinners on the 'retro' space mission game one weekend.

#11547 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Nobody claimed John has no money left. Zidware has no money left. John probably has lots.

Yes i can foresee Tax audit coming soon. Isn't that the way the system usually whacks the crook?

#11548 4 years ago

3k for each mold, fixtures and materials, not per full set. each mold makes 2 parts, 4 parts needed for this pin project. WC you know my numbers are good and tight! and i doubt anyone else could of pulled this off on a whim with nothing down and this fast

#11549 4 years ago
Quoted from TheZohan:

19 Magic Girls have been produced according to this site's archive, for example...? Where would
that number have come from? How can that be real? This kind of thing devalues the credibility of the Pinside archive, to me.

Between that, Predator and others, I agree with where you're coming from.

But then there are several Pinside Polaroids the pop up for odd titles that seem to have no information beyond a handful of photos of presumably one extant or known copy of the game. Couldn't at least some of those be from similar situations: prototypes, best efforts, mockups, samples, etc that never got fully off the ground?

I mean, Wizard Blocks is in the archive too...

I think it's more a situation of would-be owners getting too excited and having to "add that piece to the collection NAOW"...

Maybe there could be a system to flag machines archived for historical and reference purposes, to keep them from being added to collections?

#11550 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Yes i can foresee Tax audit coming soon. Isn't that the way the system usually whacks the crook?

A tax audit wouldn't have much effect if he is reported on payroll.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 231 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside