(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 227 of 487.
#11301 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One of my local pinbuddies tried a few times to talk me into making a game with him...and I'm like "no way"...he's like "why not!? We have better ideas and can create better art than any of these guys!" ...and I'm like "maybe...but I don't know how to build a f*cking game! I don't know how to cut wood. I don't know how to create or program electronics.....just because I can draw, dream up stuff, and repair my own games does not mean I can mass produce them". He was like "we can find guys to do all that other stuff"....I was just like "Noooooooooo". He was kinda bummed out but I live firmly in reality.

Like OMG!!!

Just messing with ya RH.

#11302 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

HOLY MOLY! WTF? Is there a thread about this? I had no idea. Daaayuuumm.. this industry is cray-cray!

Jack was smart enough to start the thread himself under a somewhat non-descript subject headline that doesn't even mention the word lawsuit:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elaut-usa-inc

All other attempts to start a thread with a more descriptive subject headline are closed as duplicative.

#11303 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Like OMG!!!
Just messing with ya RH.

Hahaha...when I read it back I thought "I wrote this like a valley girl"....but I still felt it was the best way to convey that I was paraphrasing a conversation.

#11304 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

We need someone to ramp up real production. Not this trickle of one-off game stuff. Someone to compete with Gary straight up. I just don't see it happening. Not unless one of the game companies with huge pockets decides that there is profit in pinball now.

It will take someone who is in it for the right reasons with a ton of money to risk. As it stands, most of the boutique companies that have come along seem to love to create concepts but don't care much for the part in bringing them to fruition. They love soaking in the adulation from the community when they post a potential feature but don't like having to answer to customers who want to know why their game is a year late. They basically want to turn their personal hobby into a business with other people taking the financial risk.

I know it's a pretty pessimistic outlook, but I think boutique pinball is just about dead. You'll get an occasional company like Spooky that puts together the right team and makes it work, but that's going to be the exception. The financials and logistics just don't make sense most of the time.

Take a look at these recent JPop events. Assuming the new company's intentions are pure, does anyone really think a new business with no prior experience in mass pinball manufacturing is not only going to produce hundreds of high quality games, but also turn such a profit that they can make buyers and vendors whole? Stern has decades of experience in this field and I doubt they've ever earned a cool million in profit off one of their titles.

#11305 4 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I know it's a pretty pessimistic outlook, but I think boutique pinball is just about dead. You'll get an occasional company like Spooky that puts together the right team and makes it work, but that's going to be the exception. The financials and logistics just don't make sense most of the time.
Take a look at these recent JPop events. Assuming the new company's intentions are pure, does anyone really think a new business with no prior experience in mass pinball manufacturing is not only going to produce hundreds of high quality games, but also turn such a profit that they can make buyers and vendors whole? Stern has decades of experience in this field and I doubt they've ever earned a cool million in profit off one of their titles.

Well said.

Reality check.

#11306 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I can do every piece of a pinball machine except the art, and I still wouldn't dare start a pinball company.
Even if there was money to be made, I don't like the idea of making money off of my friends either.

+100

It's not just about what you can do. You have to source parts from dozens of different suppliers. Nobody can completely control all the components they need to build a pinball machine, which means that if any piece of the puzzle isn't there, the whole project fails. No experienced businessperson wants to get into this line of work. Too many variables. Too many things that can go wrong and cause the whole project to fail.

#11307 4 years ago

Line 104...probably the reason Hobbit hasn't shipped

Quoted from RobT:

Jack was smart enough to start the thread himself under a somewhat non-descript subject headline that doesn't even mention the word lawsuit:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elaut-usa-inc
All other attempts to start a thread with a more descriptive subject headline are closed as duplicative.

#11308 4 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Stern has decades of experience in this field and I doubt they've ever earned a cool million in profit off one of their titles.

AC/Dc possibly

#11309 4 years ago

I remember in around 2002-04, Gary was looking to sell the company for about $20M. Even he didn't want to be in the business!

#11310 4 years ago

The reality check is that boutique pinball is nearly impossible. Ben and Chuck have killed themselves getting a great pin out. Maybe Ben can chime in and give us what he's making on a per hour basis after tallying up all the time spent.

Look at MMR, even Chicago gaming said holy crap we can't make 1000 pinball machines despite having zero part issues with PPS. All they had to do was copy a prior game and look how hard that was.

Maybe boutique guys can get it together enough to produce a game and then have Stern put it together like Big Juicy.

Said it many times before, WAY too many variables out of your control. F it, I'm heading out to play my newly updated TWD LE!

#11311 4 years ago

I was gonna say, if Ac/dc didn't make significantly more than a million profit, surely on gross margins at least, then what's the point?

I'm guessing they made over 5 million profit on Ac/dc depending on the total pro version premium numbers.

6-7K pins produced? $1500-2500 profit each depending on model?

#11312 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well that's my experience with him. You know he was "just trying to make great pinball and better it for all of us"
I applaud Bill's efforts and what he's trying to do.
It doesn't change the fact that I want some honesty and transparency from John himself.
Where is that? He doesn't get to just roll on and make money as a consultant without some detailed explanations and show of remorse for all the lies and deceit

Well I emailed John and got this response. It made me laugh and then I realized he probably didn't read the whole thing. He obviously does not have any remorse. The only way he will have any remorse is if he loses everything. Even then I'm not sure he would have any remorse as he is the victim.

Hi,

Thanks Henry for the info. Folks that want to visit usually let me know,
as each day is different as I may be at vendors, visiting a contractor
or in the back working with machines going.

John

On 5/25/15 2:28 PM, Henry wrote:
> John,
>
> I thought you would like to know some people are at your shop and
> posted pictures. Not sure is they are going to do something or not
> as you have angered several people.
>
>
> I'm guessing you working 14 hour days 7 days a week is simply not true.
>

>

#11313 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Hi,

What vendors or contractors? They are all gone!

The man is something else isn't he.

#11314 4 years ago

That is not good, myself and others are working 20 hour days.

#11315 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Hi,
John

Wow add compulsive liar to Fraudster

#11316 4 years ago

His legacy IMO is now 1st. of all , what another Pinsider said "Inventor of the Pinball LongCon" A thief and Delusional , Lying ...... fill in the

#11317 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe Ben can chime in and give us what he's making on a per hour basis after tallying up all the time spent

If I had to guess JUST in code, less than $300 per machine x 150 machines. 12 hour days of weekend programming x 52 weeks.

$45k / 1250 hours work = $36/hour at best with no guarantee they would sell out.. and yet Ben just continues to improve the code, and there will likely be another update after all the units have shipped and they get feedback. That also doesn't include all the framework, and all the mechanical stuff, artwork, dots, sounds, etc. etc.

#11318 4 years ago

Bill, through the thread it has been said that RAZA is nearly as complete as MG. I understand that some of the artwork may have to be changed and some stuff is not completed but please show it to us anyways just to give us an overall sense of what the game is like. I can appreciate your efforts bringing MG to light and asking for us to consider changing games, it would be helpful if we could see them both since we have seen very little so far and you have asked us to consider your options.

#11319 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm curious if he even read my last sentence. The guy did run a sign business, so I'm very skeptical that he is not just a compulsive liar. Kinda reminds me of John Lovitz on SNL. I do believe John knows what he is doing. I think he would take a deposit tomorrow if someone offered him one.

Plus I've heard stories about how the money we gave him, was his money and he could spend it on whatever he wanted. I'm hoping people filled claims and he gets investigated.

#11320 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Still here waiting. Sent John some texts today again. No replies

My last text was "Good night, hope you sleep well."

#11321 4 years ago

just played a couple of games on C.V..... Omg had to try and concentrate on playing every time the Ringmaster's head came Up .... I could not stop thinking of John as the evil ringmaster of a 3 ring circus (MG,BHZA/RAZA,AIW) .... a great Mod would be his Likeness as the Ringmaster

#11322 4 years ago

Yeah yeah that's the ticket!

#11323 4 years ago

He probably has a real neurological issue that has either not been diagnosed or he has kept secret. Asperger's Syndrome / Psychopath (lack of empathy) are two that come to mind. If he's kept on as a consultant I wonder if a full physical (like an athlete) can be a prerequisite.

#11324 4 years ago

I was just thinking....

perhaps one of the contributing factors to Jpops failure was the lack of proximity to a horse racing track?

#11325 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I was just thinking....
perhaps one of the contributing factors to Jpops failure was the lack of proximity to a horse racing track?

That's great lol...surely he had enough cronies...you couldn't make this stuff up if you wanted to..

#11326 4 years ago

No it was obviously not being around the real talent

#11327 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

just played a couple of games on C.V..... Omg had to try and concentrate on playing every time the Ringmaster's head came Up .... I could not stop thinking of John as the evil ringmaster of a 3 ring circus (MG,BHZA/RAZA,AIW) .... a great Mod would be his Likeness as the Ringmaster

He's already on the backglass in tights, that's enough for me.

#11328 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

He's already on the backglass in tights, that's enough for me.

True that....... & the Girl who is featured most prominently on the back glass is his wife

#11329 4 years ago

same kind of facial features as the soccer girl on WCS

#11330 4 years ago

Well I can chime in with a little good news. Molded 4 sets of all Ramps today after minor mold tweeks.
I built the CNC trim fixtures yesterday and programed the cut out geometry today. In the morning we will cut all the parts finish and get them in the mail. The ramps turned out very nice, happy camper.

#11331 4 years ago

Great work pin-pimp..!!, And congrats on Bill for stepping up and getting things done very fast.
(and pin-pimp as well).
I just have a quick question, and I apologize if this has been asked earlier, as I haven't had time to read every last page...
Who will OWN the game after the Northwest show? Who owns it now? Where will it go after?
It seem's it was built on all the pre-order/vendor's dimes, so I guess all the pre-order/vendor people own a small piece equally?
My take, Is Bill will use it for the good of pinball, and use it as a prototype to make future pins?
Seem's like the right thing to do/try.??

#11332 4 years ago

Asking again since it's been a few pages now, and I don't want it to get lost:

What are the terms of the "license agreement" that gives Pintasia carte blanche to use all of the Zidware assets that were created with the funding of 120+ customers?

#11333 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Ben - you and Charlie played with John. Can he play pinball?

John and I played Iron Man, Sopranos and a few other titles - he's actually a good pinball player.

#11334 4 years ago

This thread has turned so bizarre. I don't know if Bill can pull off this magic trick. I don't know that it's even worth trying frankly.

But good lord, look at this. Progress! Admit it, if a year ago someone had stepped in and Got Shit Done™ like this you'd be cheering in the streets.

#11335 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Admit it, if a year ago someone had stepped in and Got Shit Done™ like this you'd be cheering in the streets.

A year ago, or today, it doesn't matter - I would cheer it in the streets if it were done in an above-board, obviously legal way!

#11336 4 years ago

Dang you guys keep asking the questions that are not supposed to be asked. Sshhhhh....

I still think if taken to show there should be a cage around that game Like the Blues Brothers playing as the good ol boys!

#11337 4 years ago

Point is, John didn't need to be spending $5k a month (plus) on overhead. We're talking about 150 total pins (MG and RAZA) that at a minimum require $1M to $1.2M for BOM, programming and assembly.

Small run means he only gets $1.6M to pull it off.

A few calculations, and I could tell you he has maybe $400K to 600K to get to the production stage for two pins.

In other words, conserve, work smart, low overhead. Eat Ramin noodles if you need to. Has John never consulted a calculator or a calander or a bank statement in all this time?

#11338 4 years ago

There have been numerous posts in this thread regarding deeproot®, its business model, operations, funding (or supposed lack thereof), and/or financials. None of these posts are correct. None of the posters have any connection with deeproot®, any knowledge thereof, and are making assertions that are defamatory and false. deeproot® and deeproot® alone has the ability and sole legal right to make assertions of fact on its behalf. Other than the posts made herein by this account (deeproot), we do not choose to do so at this time. Regards,

RJM dT/dP

#11339 4 years ago

Pretty sure everyone meant deepthroat.

#11340 4 years ago

The first rule of Deeproot is don't talk about Deeproot.

#11341 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

You won the internet today. Well done!

#11342 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Hal Holbrook?

image.jpg

#11343 4 years ago

deepthroat®

#11345 4 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

There have been numerous posts in this thread regarding deeproot®, its business model, operations, funding (or supposed lack thereof), and/or financials. None of these posts are correct. None of the posters have any connection with deeproot®, any knowledge thereof, and are making assertions that are defamatory and false. deeproot® and deeproot® alone has the ability and sole legal right to make assertions of fact on its behalf. Other than the posts made herein by this account (deeproot), we do not choose to do so at this time. Regards,
RJM dT/dP

You omitted the "®" on the final "deep®oot"

#11346 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I'm...going...to...fall...out!!! Lmfao! It's all timing man.

#11347 4 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

RJM dT/dP

Defamatory? Dang, you're going into lawyer mode really quickly for no apparent reason. You realize you negated your prior posts in this thread with broad wording of this language, right?

#11348 4 years ago

gambit3113™ has never heard of deeproot®. Who in the hell is deeproot®?

#11350 4 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

There have been numerous posts in this thread regarding deeproot®, its business model, operations, funding (or supposed lack thereof), and/or financials. None of these posts are correct. None of the posters have any connection with deeproot®, any knowledge thereof, and are making assertions that are defamatory and false. deeprooAgain thanks so much for what you are doing! and deeproot® alone has the ability and sole legal right to make assertions of fact on its behalf. Other than the posts made herein by this account (deeproot), we do not choose to do so at this time. Regards,
RJM dT/dP

Hmmmm

Concretehardt®

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 227 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside