(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 491.
#1051 9 years ago

I don't want to make this about JJP or Stern but seriously, Gary doesn't even read the internet and they certainly aren't the Saints of Pinball or pillars of truth

I like Jpop better than all of them. As/if he lines up outside help, hopefully things will come together.

Let's see in two weeks

#1052 9 years ago

Of all the owners, frolic, you seem the most reasonable in both your demands and expectations on Jpop. If the others had your level of concern I bet MG would have been out already.

#1053 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't want to make this about JJP or Stern but seriously, Gary doesn't even read the internet and they certainly aren't the Saints of Pinball or pillars of truth
I like Jpop better than all of them. As/if he lines up outside help, hopefully things will come together.
Let's see in two weeks

Okay, but sometimes nothing is better than being a loudmouthed twit.

Not that I personally take that to heart very often, but hey. Nobody's perfect.

#1054 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Jpop is going to team up on a joint venture basis with JJP

I respectfully disagree

#1055 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well who does respect the pinball community?
If I want my Jpop pin sooner, and I do, then I want JJP to build it. Jpop respects them
It's still Jpop and his pin. But I agree, the arrogance, stupidity, etc is astounding at times. But it's in no way limited to JJP

Logistically... Stern makes more sense.

#1056 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

"Hey, it's only pinball"
Hyper limited quantities of these games is for the birds. Zidware should sell as many games as they can in the span of when a certain title is in production. Original buyers should be rewarded with cosmetic upgrades and possibly a cheaper pre-order price than the rest. Magic Girl should go down to the RAZA price point.
You are a douchebag if you don't want as many people to enjoy these cool new games.

I agree with this, but there is an inordinate amount of collectors who favor exclusivity over accessibility. I can't blame the guy who wants to be the only one in the world with a complete stormtrooper costume from Star Wars Eposide IV, but I'd rather everyone get a chance to have one at a reasonable cost if there is a way to do that.

Quoted from frolic:

It's been a single week. He did make a declaration that MG will be shown in December (a Lebowski type reveal), and that he is working on a raza timeline.

He should completely stop work on RAZA and AIW until MG is delivered. Does he owe RAZA and AIW pre-orders a timeline? Probably, but his track record on timelines is not good, so delivery of anything is worth more than any timeline he can come up with.

The other item that no one mentions is the code. It's obviously a substantial amount of work as we've seen from every game delivered in the past x number of years, and it becomes the key make-or-break feature of a game. Does Jpop have a good handle on that?

#1057 9 years ago
Quoted from marlboroman:

Logistically... Stern makes more sense.

My guess is Stern would not want to help Jpop and John has been pretty critical of Stern pinball so I'm doubtful that's even an option.

Quoted from Baiter:

He should completely stop work on RAZA and AIW until MG is delivered. Does he owe RAZA and AIW pre-orders a timeline? Probably, but his track record on timelines is not good, so delivery of anything is worth more than any timeline he can come up with.

I totally agree with this, and I've been in RAZA the longest.

Quoted from Baiter:

The other item that no one mentions is the code. It's obviously a substantial amount of work as we've seen from every game delivered in the past x number of years, and it becomes the key make-or-break feature of a game. Does Jpop have a good handle on that?

He indicates that there are a couple of very talented "coders" that are part of these projects. The positive thing is that I would guess John would want to overcome his reputation, which he didn't fully control at Bally, the idea that the code on his games isn't very good. Which isn't true. Maybe Totan, certainly not CV and TOM. WCS, haven't really played it enough to know.

Time will tell, and judgment day is closing in rapidly.

#1058 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My guess is Stern would not want to help Jpop and John has been pretty critical of Stern pinball so I'm doubtful that's even an option.

John needs to pump games out and Stern has a Pinball Manufacturing business to run, a hop and a skip away from each other... its a perfect match! Good old greenbacks will make them best of friends

#1059 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

You are a douchebag if you don't want as many people to enjoy these cool new games.

Your right I would feel like a douchebag if I had my money tied up for 3 years and all of the sudden my limited production pin isn't limited any more and anyone can order one, no money down no waiting...
But wait! I get a key chain or a numbered plaque for my 3 year interest free loan? Your right who wouldn't want that deal. The risk to putting your money out years in advance was that you could lose it all and get nothing, the reward is that if all went well your would receive a truly limited machine not some mass produced machine.

So I will turn the douchebag comment back on you, if you want to "enjoy one of these cool new games" then stop blathering about it! get your wallet out and buy someone's preorder.

#1060 9 years ago

The stuff he wants patents for, is that all been done? Or still in the patent system some where?

#1061 9 years ago

Id love to see a fully playable magic girl.

#1062 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Apparently we all will in Dec., rug and all, and from what I've seen, the little of it, and also heard about, it's beyond WOW, way beyond!

#1064 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Apparently we all will in Dec., rug and all, and from what I've seen, the little of it, and also heard about, it's beyond WOW, way beyond!

This is very exciting. I absolutely can't wait to see this thing. Minds will be blown.

#1065 9 years ago

Anyone get their J-pop game yet?

#1066 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Anyone get their J-pop game yet?

You get your handjob yet? just playing Flank

Quoted from kaneda:

Look forward to seeing some of you at expos in the future so we can hug it out.

Quoted from centerflank:

You ever try to hug me, I will bitch slap you.

Quoted from kaneda:

Followed by a hand job?

Quoted from centerflank:

Do i receive or give?

#1067 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Your right I would feel like a douchebag if I had my money tied up for 3 years and all of the sudden my limited production pin isn't limited any more and anyone can order one, no money down no waiting...
But wait! I get a key chain or a numbered plaque for my 3 year interest free loan? Your right who wouldn't want that deal. The risk to putting your money out years in advance was that you could lose it all and get nothing, the reward is that if all went well your would receive a truly limited machine not some mass produced machine.
So I will turn the douchebag comment back on you, if you want to "enjoy one of these cool new games" then stop blathering about it! get your wallet out and buy someone's preorder.

Sorry if we're not as rich as you.

Quoted from iceman44:

and from what I've seen, the little of it, and also heard about, it's beyond WOW, way beyond!

Why do you torture me so?

#1068 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

The stuff he wants patents for, is that all been done? Or still in the patent system some where?

I've got a pending patent that is probably going on three years. Not saying that is normal, but the process can be long (I think my first patent took around 3 years). He could release what he is doing as patent pending, but that would not offer any protection at that point, but does put others on notice that once approved they would have to cease what they are doing. Be risky for some other pinball company to "borrow" his idea, and suddenly not be able to sell a game due to the patent being granted. Accordingly I see limited risk him in showing/producing stuff with the patent pending. Of course it is always possible it does not get granted, which is a whole other conversation.

#1069 9 years ago

rosh - you have your terminology mixed regarding patents. Patent Pending - means the patent has been approved. Patent Applied For is what you are looking for.

#1070 9 years ago

Patent pending is the term used to describe a patent application that has been filed with the patent office, but has not been issued as a patent. Patent pending indicates that the inventor is pursuing protection, but the scope of protection, or whether a patent will even issue is still undetermined.

http://www.richardspatentlaw.com/faq/preparing-and-filing/what-does-patent-pending-mean/

#1071 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Quoted from iceman44:

Did he explicitly promise a fully playable game in December, or just a "Lebowski style reveal"? If it was the latter, I would highly moderate your expectations.

#1072 9 years ago

terryb -- got it -- patent pending and patent applied for are the same.

With a development project bringing a new product to market, patent applications are normal during development and production (production technique patents) and do not slow the development, production or delivery of the product to market.

Idea protection paranoia can be common within development organizations over preventing the theft of an idea before a patent application is generated.

#1073 9 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Did he explicitly promise a fully playable game in December, or just a "Lebowski style reveal"? If it was the latter, I would highly moderate your expectations.

image-144.jpgimage-144.jpg

#1074 9 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

rosh - you have your terminology mixed regarding patents. Patent Pending - means the patent has been approved. Patent Applied For is what you are looking for.

Quoted from minnesota13:

terryb -- got it -- patent pending and patent applied for are the same.

So I guess you were the one who had the terminology mixed up, not me. Glad I did not call my patent attorney to tell him he was using the wrong terms

#1075 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

image-144.jpg 26 KB

I am basing my advice to moderate expectations just on common sense. I also think while people obviously have a tendency to read a bit of information and automatically assume the worst, the inverse is also true.

Most of us don't have access to the NDA protected blog, so I think it is important to get clarification on what he actually said. If not, you might be making promises to yourself the JPOP never intended. We've already seen an instance where his interpretation of a "Huge Reveal at expo" didn't align at all with the rest of the community's interpretation of that statement. I think it is equally plausible that his interpretation of a "Lebowski style reveal on the rug" might be different from our interpretation of that statement. Unless he explicitly stated that the game would be fully playable, I think it is wise to not expect that, and instead set your expectations to something along the lines of a full artwork reveal, or nearly complete non-operable game (both would be big leaps forward compared to what zidware has historically revealed). If you want JPOP to succeed, I would think this would be incredibly important, because it's much better for him if he exceeds expectations rather than falls short of what people promised themselves based on mis-reading the intention of his words.

It takes a LOT to get a machine fully working.

#1076 9 years ago

It takes a LOT to get a machine fully working.

Ya, but everyone else has done flipping games in less time. Regardless of how crazy his will be

#1077 9 years ago

A flipping prototype that they can touch would probably make most people happy for awhile.

#1078 9 years ago

article on Jpop, I do think his cabinets got ignored at Expo, I mean look at that art.

http://pavlovpinball.com/john-popadiuk-pinballs-steve-jobs/

clownfeat2-620x264.jpgclownfeat2-620x264.jpg
jpop.jpgjpop.jpg

#1079 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

article on Jpop, I do think his cabinets got ignored at Expo, I mean look at that art.
http://pavlovpinball.com/john-popadiuk-pinballs-steve-jobs/

clownfeat2-620x264.jpg 26 KB

jpop.jpg 61 KB

The art with aliens and clowns instead of Zombies?

#1080 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The art with aliens and clowns instead of Zombies?

There will be Zombies as well, the alien shoots a gun and turns people into zombies.

#1081 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

There will be Zombies as well, the alien shoots a gun and turns people into zombies.

Perfect example of over thinking and going down a long dark road.

As for the martian rip off I think its embarrassing. The blue chick was cool though.

#1082 9 years ago

Reading that article.. about him being the "steve jobs" of pinball. um ok, whatever.. but let's continue the analogy... where is his Steve Wozniak.. i.e., the engineer half of what he started. It could of been Ben Heck, but it didn't work out for whatever reason. Without that counter balance.. well, we see what happens.

#1083 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Reading that article.. about him being the "steve jobs" of pinball.

Stevie Jobs is dead...

#1084 9 years ago

Even going back to the original flyer for the game it was clear there would be Zombies, flying saucers & Aliens. I love the blue alien girl but still hope "NEB" gets tweaked..... We shall see
image-930.jpgimage-930.jpg

#1085 9 years ago

Steve Jobs said as a developer, he always kept in mind a quote from Pablo Picasso.
“Good artists copy. Great artists steal.”

#1086 9 years ago

"Frax said:

Jpop is going to team up on a joint venture basis with JJP"

Quoted from marlboroman:

I respectfully disagree

If you are going to quote me, then quote things I actually said, not quotes that *I* quoted.

#1087 9 years ago

3 weeks after this thread blew up, I still never got any of my questions answered unfortunately. Still have no idea what year I might see RAZA.

It will be helpful for MG to be shown to the world next month. But I have no idea how much is left with RAZA, and how long it will take to produce 120 machines. If the Spooky standard of 2 machines per week is realistic, and without a factory or huge workforce that probably is a reasonable number, and RAZA isn't completed till end of '15... it is likely '16 before many if any see their game.

But I am GUESSING because I have NO IDEA on any of this. John's response at the time bought a few weeks of quiet, but we're pretty much at the same spot. Are MG owners seeing any more info about anything?

#1088 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

3 weeks after this thread blew up, I still never got any of my questions answered unfortunately. Still have no idea what year I might see RAZA.
It will be helpful for MG to be shown to the world next month. But I have no idea how much is left with RAZA, and how long it will take to produce 120 machines. If the Spooky standard of 2 machines per week is realistic, and without a factory or huge workforce that probably is a reasonable number, and RAZA isn't completed till end of '15... it is likely '16 before many if any see their game.
But I am GUESSING because I have NO IDEA on any of this. John's response at the time bought a few weeks of quiet, but we're pretty much at the same spot. Are MG owners seeing any more info about anything?

The only thing ur going to see is two more Christmas seasons go by before u get ur game

#1089 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Even going back to the original flyer for the game it was clear there would be Zombies, flying saucers & Aliens. I love the blue alien girl but still hope "NEB" gets tweaked..... We shall see

image-930.jpg 124 KB

Aliens and saucers are secondary to the Zombie theme in the flyer. Quite contrary to the side cab art.

#1090 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Aliens and saucers are secondary to the Zombie theme in the flyer. Quite contrary to the side cab art.

This has been my biggest complaint all along, well I guess aside from the delays. I keep hearing it is going to be a zombie pin, and I get that the story is supposedly aliens converting people into zombies (hey the virus had to originate somewhere). However, it's still called zombie adventureland, so it needs to be zombies with some aliens, not aliens with some zombies. I'm guessing that Jpop realized that zombies are ugly and his desire for stunning art kept pushing him toward the alien forms. If I ever get my game, and it doesn't feel like a zombie pin, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

I guess if people want a true zombie experience they should go for TWD, but I was a pre-order on the LE there and dumped it after seeing and playing. Zombies was a dream theme for me and I'm starting to feel I might not own a true zombie pin.

#1091 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Reading that article.. about him being the "steve jobs" of pinball. um ok, whatever.. but let's continue the analogy... where is his Steve Wozniak.. i.e., the engineer half of what he started. It could of been Ben Heck, but it didn't work out for whatever reason. Without that counter balance.. well, we see what happens.

Interesting analogy

#1092 9 years ago

Being compared to steve jobs isn't necessarily a good thing. Anyone that's watched the movie knows that Jobs would noodle over the most inane detail like what fonts the word processor should have, and he hemorrhaged the company's money trying to develop the Lisa OS and eventually got let go.

Also Jobs would never show an incomplete product, imagine if he showed up with the first IPOD that only showed the case, with no functioning hardware at all?

#1093 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

If you are going to quote me, then quote things I actually said, not quotes that *I* quoted.

You're right meant for Iceman...lol

#1094 9 years ago

At least Jobs managed to actually produce something.

Perhaps the "owners" (I use that term in quotes because right now all you own is the right to bitch on a private blog) should start raising more hell again and ask for actual updates.

I suspect, however, everyone will wait for whatever time in December he's promising to show more. Perhaps he might show an insert or a ramp next.

#1095 9 years ago

Maybe he will show the tnuts and screws he is custom designing for his machine?

#1096 9 years ago

All Quiet on the front lines. Thinking no news is good news. Partner deal in works?

#1097 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Also Jobs would never show an incomplete product, imagine if he showed up with the first IPOD that only showed the case, with no functioning hardware at all?

I've heard the first iPhone was pretty close to nonfunctional at announcement.

#1098 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Partner deal in works?

fingers crossed

#1099 9 years ago

I don't like the Steve Jobs comparison, I think he's more like Francis Ford Coppola making Apocalypse Now.

#1100 9 years ago

That's a bad analogy as well since it did actually get made.

Perhaps the Winchester House is an apt analogy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.