(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 218 of 487.
#10851 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

They'd find something else Ben.. there's no pleasing this angry mob anymore. Even the positive is soured once it hits the pan.
Also perhaps John isn't there because he's in Vancouver talking to Bill? Canada doesn't have today off.
All I'm saying is.. if you're speculating try and consider both versions of that "half glass", people.

Angry mob? No.

Understandably perturbed people in an Internet forum? Yes.

If Jpop filled my glass with $20,245, I'd be delighted, as would many others. If Jpop is to be believed (highly unlikely), the glass was drained of $1-2 million several years ago, with little to show for it. In that context, 'soured' seems rather an understatement, but is understandable, is it not? Or are you Jpop's PR person?

#10852 4 years ago

They'd find something else Ben.. there's no pleasing this angry mob anymore. Even the positive is soured once it hits the pan.
Also perhaps John isn't there because he's in Vancouver talking to Bill? Canada doesn't have today off.
All I'm saying is.. if you're speculating try and consider both versions of that "half glass", people.

He should tell people if he's in Vancouver now though..

#10853 4 years ago

Just out of morbid curiosity I hope a working prototype gets displayed at the show. Then we can all finally see whatever it was that kept people believing the hype after touring JPOP's shop.

#10854 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

$10k Magic Girls I think will sell, if it is everything its supposed to be.

I don't know about that. Up until now, $10K would get you the very best model of just about any game produced. Buyers spending that kind of cash would be accustomed to a top-of-the-line game. I don't see LE-type buyers spending $10K to get a "classic" version, no matter how great the game is.

I really want to see you guys made whole, but if it depends on new money jumping in at the prices mentioned so far, I'm very skeptical that market exists. Hopefully as more puzzle pieces are revealed, we'll see why the proposed pricing model makes sense - or perhaps doesn't.

#10855 4 years ago

I'm surprised anyone thinks John is going to show up to this show in this first place, and for it to be a punishment for him to NOT be able to go.

I'm thinking this guy will never show, unless like you guys are saying that he's that oblivious to the damage he's done.

That being said, I'd rather see him show his face and get a real idea of where he's at. I can't imagine everyone just standing around quietly with him there.

#10856 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

plastic isn't hard to trim, just an x-acto knife and a steady hand. However, John said in his blog posting that he did have a laser cutter lined up. He has an in-house laser cutter, but that's meant for flat plastics, not vacuum formed stuff.

For those ramps an x-acto knife would be a little tough. I would personally bandsaw and then treat the edges, for a handful of ramps.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#10857 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

16k is about double what the current LE or JJP goes for. Without rarity, or the inclusion of a 1k/night hooker, and considering the taint of the Jpop pedigree, I don't see a market for this game.

199 is the hard max limit as it gives everyone a chance, if they want, from the other games to transfer.
If demand isn't there for all 199 they won't make them.
Could only make the original 19 if interest isn't there.

#10858 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I'm surprised anyone thinks John is going to show up to this show in this first place, and for it to be a punishment for him to NOT be able to go.
I'm thinking this guy will never show, unless like you guys are saying that he's that oblivious to the damage he's done.
That being said, I'd rather see him show his face and get a real idea of where he's at. I can't imagine everyone just standing around quietly with him there.

Of course no one is going to publicly condone violence, BUT I'm sure it's in peoples thoughts. Personally I would hope people would absolutely get in his face, and I mean IN HIS FACE and give him a reality check. This weasel needs to know very clearly that he is finished in the industry and is not welcome at any pinball show without getting publicly ridiculed. If he does show he either has bigger balls than I expected or is much more oblivious than I expected.

#10859 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

16k is about double what the current LE or JJP goes for. Without rarity, or the inclusion of a 1k/night hooker, and considering the taint of the Jpop pedigree, I don't see a market for this game.

Yep. I could see it selling a lot in the $9-10k range if all the pieces are put together (including a great ruleset). My understanding all along was the $16k price was based largely on rarity, and without that, it is a game more comparable to RAZA in price/features/BOM. Although in that range, the features are more in line with a Hobbit/WOZ than a Stern LE or AMH, imo.

#10860 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Is John in his shop at this very moment, tweaking code on Memorial Day like I am?

Quoted from benheck:

Any real businessperson with about one month left to save their company would be working on Memorial Day. It isn't some stupid Disney movie where Tim Allen learns to be a good dad by making the baseball game. Going bankrupt and getting sued is a much worse fate for someone's family.

This is exactly why people admire you Ben. It's not just the expertise, knowledge and skills that you bring to the pinball world, it's also about your amazing work ethic. Remind me to buy you 6-pack of beer if I ever visit the shop. You're 110% right in what you said; is Jpop doing any kind of work on memorial day? Probably not otherwise we would have seen some sort of memorial day post on his blog showing some new lamp posts on the MG playfield

#10861 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
image-734.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Is there also state of the art Ramp Flaps and Custom Machined Ramp Protectors that go along with these?
Based on the design it appears the ramps will recieve a lot of stress from the ball hitting the plastic

#10862 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

For those ramps an x-acto knife would be a little tough. I would personally bandsaw and then treat the edges, for a handful of ramps.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Bingo, bandsaw first to the rough size.

Andrew

#10863 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

the features are more in line with a Hobbit/WOZ than a Stern LE or AMH, imo.

I'd take a playabe real game like Stern LE or AMH over a feature rich but not real game any day wouldn't you? Its been 4 years and he still is not at the prototype stage yet.

#10864 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Interesting if John appears.

I've been asked to attend, and my one stipulation was that there's a) no John or b) proper security duty to protect the innocent when the pitchforks come out

#10865 4 years ago

I don't think that John is in Vancouver. Bill mentioned sending people next week to get the game and drive it up. With this tight time frame and a day or two drive, John should be working today.

John gets zero credit from now on. Those are the new rules.

#10866 4 years ago

There are a lot of assets that would go for big bucks at auction... That Kiss prototype is probably worth a pretty penny...

#10867 4 years ago

Or are you Jpop's PR person?

Why is it anytime someone tries to remain calm and sound positive in this thread they're instantly labeled a "Zidware PR person"? I'm simply suggesting that people have an open mind for a few weeks longer and give Bill the chance he deserves to work some "magic" of his own.

And yes, I do have a horse in this race. And yes, I too am mad at John. But jumping to conclusions isn't going to solve anything (that's what made me submit my money in the first place)

#10868 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

He should tell people if he's in Vancouver now though..

Absolutely agreed.

#10869 4 years ago

Happy to see a few green chutes of positive

I'm guessing this was part of the License agreement? Hopefully not binding. John needs to do some explaining as to where all the money went, in detail.

"The Licensee will be hiring Zidware’s founder as a consultant (in such capacity, “Consultant”) to assist Licensee in the completion of the design of the games, and a standstill agreement is important to ensure that Consultant is not needlessly distracted by demands or litigation during this critical time."

#10870 4 years ago
Quoted from aberdeentp:

• Business Development - Bill Brandes: business restructuring, real estate holdings, commodities, investment fund
• Finance & Operations - Sabrina Wei: investment banker, business consultant, Deloitte & Touche alumni
• Art Design - Zombie Yeti, artist for MG, RAZA and AIW
• Technical Support - Jim Martin, service and support for machines
• Consultant* (Game Design) - John Popadiuk, Zidware Inc.
• Legal Counsel (USA) – Jordan Litwin, Meltzer, Purtill & Stelle LLC
• Manufacturer – TBD, must be proven quality manufacturer
• Programmer – TBD, must have experience with deep rule sets

Looks like the shelf life of Kaneda's public relations gig for John expired.

R.I.P ZidwarePR.... we hardly knew ye.

#10871 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Happy to see a few green chutes of positive
I'm guessing this was part of the License agreement? Hopefully not binding. John needs to do some explaining as to where all the money went, in detail.
"The Licensee will be hiring Zidware’s founder as a consultant (in such capacity, “Consultant”) to assist Licensee in the completion of the design of the games, and a standstill agreement is important to ensure that Consultant is not needlessly distracted by demands or litigation during this critical time."

"Needlessly distracted"? That's disgusting.

#10872 4 years ago

WOW! He was already for the Lebowski RUG reveal!

#10873 4 years ago

Sad truth: Zidware is bankrupt. It's over. My heart goes out to all who have money in the game. No company in there right mind would buy into this mess and hire the root cause. don't let the "What If" factor cloud your judgment. It's Over for everyone except the lawyers and the victims

#10874 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

The rug is pretty ugly though...
rugreveal.jpg

Doesn't tie the room together at all.

#10875 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

199 is the hard max limit as it gives everyone a chance, if they want, from the other games to transfer.

Go away.

#10876 4 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the highest NIB pinball game ever sold from a manufacturer is the Ruby Red WOZ for $9k. This persistent assertion that $10k is a good price point for JPop games, particularly for runs in the hundreds or thousands, is misguided at best.

#10877 4 years ago

A quick Google images search for Sabrina Wei gets some great results. I would post them, but I do not want to turn this into a "boobs" thread.

#10878 4 years ago

^That statement represents all that is wrong in this world. Every thread should turn into a boob thread, or maybe a bumskie thread

#10879 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Then the game will have unknown rarity. If the rarity is unknown, it's not a factor in the purchasing decision, just the merits of the game itself. Is the game itself worth 16k?

#10880 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'd take a playabe real game like Stern LE or AMH over a feature rich but not real game any day wouldn't you? Its been 4 years and he still is not at the prototype stage yet.

Incorrect.

#10881 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Then the game will have unknown rarity. If the rarity is unknown, it's not a factor in the purchasing decision, just the merits of the game itself. Is the game itself worth 16k?

No game is.

#10882 4 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

There are a lot of assets that would go for big bucks at auction... That Kiss prototype is probably worth a pretty penny...

AFAIK, that Kiss prototype can't be sold. it's not licensed, and would (in my general opinion) fall under the category of "fan art." Nevertheless, selling it would probably be a no-no.

#10883 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the highest NIB pinball game ever sold from a manufacturer is the Ruby Red WOZ for $9k. This persistent assertion that $10k is a good price point for JPop games, particularly for runs in the hundreds or thousands, is misguided at best.

You're not wrong.

$8k for MMR was high but understandable, $9k for WoZ 75 is high.

$16k is beyond silly IMO

#10884 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Just out of morbid curiosity I hope a working prototype gets displayed at the show. Then we can all finally see whatever it was that kept people believing the hype after touring JPOP's shop.

If the first idea to a finished production run is a 10 mile road, then a fully functioning prototype is one mile down said road. Those in the business of actually producing things know this. Please don't be fooled by some flippers flipping and some half baked toys and ramps interacting with the ball. This said machine is only half a mile down the 10 mile road.

#10885 4 years ago

Why is it anytime someone tries to remain calm and sound positive in this thread they're instantly labeled a "Zidware PR person"? I'm simply suggesting that people have an open mind for a few weeks longer and give Bill the chance he deserves to work some "magic" of his own.
And yes, I do have a horse in this race. And yes, I too am mad at John. But jumping to conclusions isn't going to solve anything (that's what made me submit my money in the first place)

Good luck trying to reason with the horde of armchair quarterbacks here. Especially those who don't even have any money at risk! (And that is what makes Pinside such a warm and fuzzy place to celebrate the joys of the pinball hobby. I'm gonna stick to in-person gatherings/expos/tourneys going forward. It's sad because the more rational and considerate folks here also tend to be the ones who rarely post.)

#10886 4 years ago

Why do you need to have had your money stolen to be angry? You can't have empathy for the people that Popaduik has ripped off?

I know two people personally burned for at least $40,000 on this. Neither of them are rich and can just afford to write-off the loss.

#10887 4 years ago

Talk is cheap, John has been promising us at a minimum a working prototype for 6 months. At a minimum he should have had one 2 years ago to be honest. If he had one why hasn't he shown crap?

#10888 4 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

Please don't be fooled by some flippers flipping and some half baked toys and ramps interacting with the ball.

I'm the last person that would be fooled by a flipping prototype with zero code and probably almost no dots. I just want to see the hardware in action.

#10889 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Good luck trying to reason with the horde of armchair quarterbacks here. Especially those who don't even have any money at risk! (And that is what makes Pinside such a warm and fuzzy place to celebrate the joys of the pinball hobby. I'm gonna stick to in-person gatherings/expos/tourneys going forward. It's sad because the more rational and considerate folks here also tend to be the ones who rarely post.)

Buh bye.

#10890 4 years ago

Yep, you can tell Steven is a sychophant!!! Arm chair quarterback?? Lol between jpoop and Shit-b there are millions of dollars unaccountaded for. Yea, we here at pinside are the bad guys lol. You are just as delusional as your master, possibly more so as you keep coming here saying there are games almost ready to ship, yet you bring no evidence whatsoever. Go back to johns cave until you have facts to back up your statements. pdxtoo

#10891 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Good luck trying to reason with the horde of armchair quarterbacks here.

Great thinking....

Because LESS critical scrutiny and MORE mindless cheer-leading has worked SO WELL on these failed projects to date....

#10892 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Yep, you can tell Steven is a sychophant!!! Arm chair quarterback?? Lol between jpoop and Shit-b there are millions of dollars unaccountaded for. Yea, we here at pinside are the bad guys lol. You are just as delusional as your master, possibly more so as you keep coming here saying there are games almost ready to ship, yet you bring no evidence whatsoever. Go back to johns cave until you have facts to back up your statements. pdxtoo

LOL at anyone who takes offense at my remarks. Speaks volumes about the offendee. (P.S. You clearly have missed the point of my message and my general sentiments here. Not surprising.)

#10893 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Great thinking....
Because LESS critical scrutiny and MORE mindless cheer-leading has worked SO WELL on these failed projects to date....

You forgot to add "mindless bashing by those not involved" as another successful Pinside stratagem.

#10894 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Neither of them are rich and can just afford to write-off the loss.

Why assume the rich would just shrug and write it off? They have just as much right to be as upset as us blue collar types, and they can afford the lawers!

#10895 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Good luck trying to reason with the horde of armchair quarterbacks here. Especially those who don't even have any money at risk!

I can't believe there are still some people who say this crap.

#10896 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

You forgot to add "mindless bashing by those not involved" as another successful Pinside stratagem.

I don't see it as mindless bashing if we are stating facts. John promised untold reveals and Kevin promised he had full license, but the 'mindless bashing' as you call it stated that Kevin couldn't have a full license and John couldn't have enough money. We're the mindless ones and you are the wise one, I get it.

#10897 4 years ago

Why assume the rich would just shrug and write it off? They have just as much right to be as upset as us blue collar types, and they can afford the lawers!

Well then, the blue collar guys should be even more angry!

#10898 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

So you're saying there is a working prototype, right now... this very minute? Otherwise he is correct, not you. So which is it? If there is not a working prototype right this second, your credibility is nil. You should also show your work and prove it if you claim there is one.

#10899 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't see it as mindless bashing if we are stating facts. John promised untold reveals and Kevin promised he had full license, but the 'mindless bashing' as you call it stated that Kevin couldn't have a full license and John couldn't have enough money. We're the mindless ones and you are the wise one, I get it.

Lots more than 'facts' stated here. Not defending anyone's improper actions by any means, but people not involved with MG/RAZA/AIW piling on and adding fuel to the fire? And attacking/bashing people who are trying to salvage the situation and get games made and sent to people who paid for them? THAT is supposed to be smart?

#10900 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

AFAIK, that Kiss prototype can't be sold. it's not licensed, and would (in my general opinion) fall under the category of "fan art." Nevertheless, selling it would probably be a no-no.

Would spending time building a functioning KISS game complete with full artwork with your customers' money before you finished the other games that they paid for be a no-no too?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Baltimore, MD
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 218 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside