(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (9 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (7 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (7 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (7 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ykpinballer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

260 posts in this topic match your search for posts by ykpinballer. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1276 9 years ago

Iceman is right, lawyers are useless except for the rich.

1 week later
#1397 9 years ago

Was it the doctor they interviewed on the Pinheadz podcast?

#1402 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

50 games is still rare as F. I don't think that number will devalue MG if it ever gets made

50 is a lot more than 17 and will devalue it. However, at this point in the pre-order mania, people just need to consider it this way: unless you ask for a refund, obviously the pin is still worth what you're paying for it.

Whatever the production run, if you still buy the machine you are deciding that yes... that is the market value. So no change there. The only thing that takes a hit from an increased production run is John's reputation and his ability to get investors in future "limited" production runs. If he's not worried about that, then it's just something you have to live with as a buyer. In the end, you are still paying the going rate for the product and that's your choice. If the increased production run devalued the pin below 17k, you would obviously ask for a refund, right?

#1409 9 years ago

I see what he was going for. He wanted to make something extremely rare and coveted, to cater to the super-rich collector. The problem is he had to get pre-orders to get the game going which ended up capping the price at 17k. In hindsight, if he didn't collect pre-orders and just made the 17 games with his own capital, he probably could have sold them for a lot more money judging from BBB prices. The trick is trying to guess the most economic way of doing it.

He probably could have sold between 10 and 14 @ 30k+ and held onto the rest for himself banking on a huge increase in value over time and letting one go to auction every year. If I wanted to make the most coveted machine in the world, that's how I would do it.

If you think there is no difference between 17 and 50, you do not understand high end collectors.

#1450 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I disagree. BBB didn't go down all that much. 183 added to the original 11. Took awhile but the price shot back up where people were offering for BBB back when there was only 11

It's all speculation anyway, only applicable if he actually had the capital ahead of time to do a tiny limited run. Being capped by the pre-orders forced it into the current model (a run of 50+). I'm not sure what you disagree with exactly, but if you think 200 BBB are worth the same as if they only made 17, I guess there's not much else I can say. I disagree, but the only way to find out would have been for JPOP to pull MG off in its original intent, which he couldn't.

I do know this though... when he said he was only making 17, he was getting preorders at a 17k price point. RAZA is a higher production run more comparable to BBB numbers and selling at about 60% of that (10k). So I think what you're saying would mean RAZA is undervalued by 7k per pin. Someone should let JPOP know.

#1508 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

As a general rule of owning and operating a business, I stop supplying customers who don't pay their invoices.I believe this is a good common business sense and one that other companies/suppliers that may be (or ARE) in similar circumstances should be practicing as well

Quoted from iceman44:

To imply that John is broke, a deadbeat that can't and won't pay his bills is whole different thing obviously. If that is what he meant by that vague comment then don't say it without giving details. Where is the proof that its an epidemic with John or even true?

GL Modular has been around since 2007 so it's not just some random dude trying to stir things up. He's saying point blank John didn't pay his bills.

a) if it wasn't true it would be a dumb business (and possibly legal) move to claim that.
b) if John didn't pay because GL Modular failed to deliver their side, they wouldn't want to draw attention to that on pinside.

So in short: bad sign for people with money in JPOP games.

I guess you can hope that John just doesn't keep up with his accounts payable because he's scatter brained? The pinball business is too small to burn bridges though. Hoping GLM gets their money.

#1512 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Prove it, are you his accountant?

Prove what? That John didn't pay his bills? A company with a 7 year history claimed it, so I used it as a basis for my opinion. You just discard everything everybody says because they don't post forensic evidence on pinside?

Your posts are basically "I don't know anything, nobody knows anything but I'm posting about it anyways!" Some people read what people have to say and form an opinion based on it, considering the validity of the source.

#1514 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

let's see the proof, I doubt anything will be forthcoming

Mostly because people don't post their accounting data on public forums...

#1518 9 years ago

I just realized that with the Predator drama out of the way JPOP is probably going to take all the heat for a while. Lets be friends instead of fighting all the time. Giving John a call is the level headed thing to do.

#1522 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

It is? I must of missed the resolution

Yeah that's all in the SkitB threads

#1524 9 years ago

Yes. After two pages of debate, it was finally settled that bi-weekly meant once every two weeks.

It's like an entmoot in there

#1600 9 years ago

It would be nice if there were threads where lawyers could bore the crap out of each other away from the general public.

#1615 9 years ago

I also sent him my mailing address for the AIW info package and haven't received anything yet. Been about 3 weeks. He is probably focused on his upcoming reveals though, I don't think marketing AIW is high priority right now (and it shouldn't be).

#1616 9 years ago

P.S. there is supposed to be a AIW reveal in January so he will probably wait until after that to send out anything.

#1743 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I don't want to jump onto AIW since I don't know what the artwork will be like. I don't like creepy monsters and that game would have a potential of that type of artwork

If MG and RAZA get released, I'd love to jump on AIW. But I'm definitely not going anywhere near it until we see things delivered and happy customers.

#1748 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

That preorder is still not widely known, so there is a chance to get on the list right now. End of this month, I doubt there will be a chance

I doubt it. People are pretty gun-shy at this point. TBL showed just how messy things can be behind the scenes. Anybody who buys into AIW at this point hasn't been reading the JPop threads and will probably pull out down the line.

#1751 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Off topic, but what happened exactly with TBL

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dp-usa-refund-still-want-the-game?tu=phil-dp-usa

That's the recap version. Phil runs Dutch Pinball USA and wants out because of various shenanigans, to put it mildly.

Anyway, yeah off topic

#2035 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well our money built his company, and we're not allowed to see those results

First off, I am on the buyers' side here in the grand scheme of things. But as far as what buyers are entitled to, I think a couple of you are talking and thinking as though you are investors in the company. You aren't, you don't have company stock so you don't have the "right" to information about product development. If JPop received money from you for RAZA, you as a customer simply have nothing to do with MG.

Whatever information is being sent out would fall under customer service, which is obviously very bad in this case. Same with timelines and whatnot.

As a pre-orderer in pinball, as in anything else, you are just paying early for a game so you get "dibs" when it's made. If you pre-ordered a new assassin's creed video game from ubisoft, do you think they would appreciate getting letters and demands from you on how their new game "Santa's Quest: Chimneys of Fire" or whatever game they're working on is doing?

Pinsiders are using their pre-orders as leverage to try and get "inside" John's business. And I fully understand that, I would be trying to get in there too after this long and that much money. I'm just saying John will not let you, and he obviously doesn't think your preorder entitles you to it.

The only real "right" I see is the right to your deposit money back. If you signed an agreement to waive that right, then you don't really have any rights left unless you can show that he has no intention of delivering the game. Then he would be guilty of fraud.

Once you sign away your right to a refund, at that point you are pretty much depending on John to be a decent human being and a responsible businessman who respects and values his customers.

#2040 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

From the sneak peak page on zidware.com - some of these were posted on the raza blog and I thought they were confidential

Those pictures are looking really cool...

#2043 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You want to buy me out?

Maybe for pennies on the dollar haha...

#2083 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's when people show up going "Get in on AIW while you can, those slots are gonna go fast!" that my eyes want to just explode

Spooky should pick up AIW and do it with American McGee.

#2163 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

John seems to care about his stature amongst pinball designers, I can't understand how he can be oblivious to a thread of over 2,000 posts on pinside ripping him apart

Quoted from slapshot:

I would bet he is following this closely

He isn't following too closely, he hasn't been on pinside since Sept 30 according to his profile. He should be getting generally warned by some of the people around him though, I would hope.

#2217 9 years ago

I honestly don't know how you guys got baited into responding to Kaneda again. We should try to get back on topic.

Everybody who is in on MG and RAZA have had years to go visit the shop and see what's happening. If you are freaking out, you should probably take a weekend and do a road trip. Compile a list of owners and see what each of them knows, who has viewed th studio most recently and what the status is. If you have questions, establish a schedule of one person per month who is going to do a studio tour, send them a PM with your questions and have them ask them to Jpop directly and report back.

If the owners are going to accuse Jpop of being disorganized and not handling business, they should take their own advice and start getting organized themselves.

#2300 9 years ago

You realize all you people talking about Kaneda are worse than he is. For every 1 of his posts there are 10 of you who get your post counts up by making this entire thread about him, or thread banning, or sitewide banning or all kinds of things unrelated to this thread. Just stop and move on, it's been taken care of. I hate having to read entire pages of your bullshit between posts that are actually about Jpop games. There are 3 or 4 of you who should have been banned from this thread for feeding the troll.

And now I hate myself for even having to say this and wasting more space on it, but obviously a lot of you are lacking self awareness just as much as he is.

#2477 9 years ago

Adobe told them they wouldn't be releasing the video until March. So I guess they kind of ruined johns surprise a bit by releasing it yesterday. He meant to reveal to his buyers before this got out but adobe kind of spoiled the surprise i guess.

#2480 9 years ago

Of interest to RAZA owners;

I have been talking with JPop about Alice in Wonderland, so this is a direct quote out of an e-mail from him.

"we started Alice so I can keep the artists busy (as we are almost complete RAZA and MG has a few
small tweaks)"

Some people didn't like that a 3rd game had work happening on it when RAZA and MG were still not complete. Seems like for the most part *only* the artists have been diverted to the AIW project, and RAZA art is complete.

Magic Girl - He says he will be showing it publicly soon.
There is apparently a lot of symbolism and hidden meaning in Magic Girl artwork, and he intends for AIW to have the same depth.

AIW deposits are $3895 and total price is x4 = ~$16k

I am not sending money for it until I see games shipped and people happily talking about how good they are - so I am not an official AIW pre-owner.

Thought I would report back what I know for the rest of you. I will jump on AIW as soon as MG and/or RAZA are proven successes.

#2483 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Say what? I had sent in an original deposit of $1895 in large measure just to support Jpop knowing that AIW would be a LONG ways away.

This is the first I've heard of this price tag

Yeah, I know. I had seen an earlier post from you saying you put 1895 as your deposit.

The brochure didn't mention the total price, but asks for a $3895 deposit. So I asked him directly and he said it's broken into 4 payments. So unless there's some wacky payment scheme, I assume that means 4 payments of $3895 (ish). Might be time for you to give him a call and please correct me if he says otherwise. I'm going off assumptions here.

#2486 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

That price is WAAAAY more than I was told. Wow...

edit: CONFIRMED

See, I have a similar page with my brochure but the price has been removed.

Also yours is called Original 10/6 "Mad Hatter Model" Velvet edition

Mine is referred to as Mad Hatter Edition 1/133 in the top left corner. On another page it is referred to as "The Mad Hatter 10/6 edition"

I don't know if you guys got in early enough that there are 2 seperate editions and you got a price break.

But I can directly quote him from an e-mail saying "We do not make an LE, but make just 1 model and load it up as best I can with art, features, ideas, mods, etc. So no "bait and switch" or upsell." So like I say, one of you with a deposit down should probably get it straight from the horse's mouth how much these machines are going to cost you.

#2492 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Are the artists full-time employees? I assumed they were contractors and therefore don't need to be kept busy

He wanted to keep the same artists for AIW, they are basically irreplaceable. Who knows if he could get them back if they didn't keep working for him. Whether they are on salary or contract is irrelevant, he didn't want them moving on to different things.

#2519 9 years ago

Whether three flipper designs are good. Also one guy thinks the adobe video is Jpops big march reveal for some reason. I think it's a thread for people confused about how forum threads work. Or confused people in general.

#2543 9 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

I really wouldn't be surprised with another 2 years to get these things to production

My guess would be that he can't possibly have the money for it to take that long. Either he gets these moving fast, or he will have to fold.

2 weeks later
#3020 9 years ago

If problems were Mogwai, Lawyers would be water.

#3024 9 years ago

He will say "I can't really talk about it, but I'm excited! Don't worry guys, it's going to be great!"

#3059 9 years ago

I wanted the first two to be a big success so I could buy AIW with confidence. Now they serve as a warning. Right now I'm just hoping somebody jacks the AIW project and gets it done in the next 10 years. Not like JPop is in a position to defend it. I feel bad for the owners but hopefully an organized effort by them will right the ship.

#3273 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

He's shifting his approach, it seems, and the foundation for making more titles is in place.

He hasn't made one title. I'm not sure if you realize this but people have been "holding onto their hats" for about 2 years longer than they expected. If you have some general info that actually legitimizes your opinion and actually want to help, either state it plainly or you are part of the problem.

#3441 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don't think it is reasonable for people to expect on the one hand JPop is working 60 hour weeks just on this project for the past 4-5 years but hasn't been taking money out of it to live in. We all have to live...maybe JPop is independently wealthy and doesn't need any money to live on...

If he spends all his time at the studio and eats a bag lunch, he probably lives on 1/4 of what the rest of us spend.

#3453 9 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

I didn't realize I could cut my living expenses by 75% by just bringing a bagged lunch every day!

I realize your comment is deliberately obtuse, but since you need people to spoon feed you information - if you spend 12+ hours a day at work you aren't spending money on personal costs of cable, cuts down electric, you're not going out to eat, going to bars or movies with friends/family, spending money on furniture, your house, travel or whatever.

The simple fact that he is always at the office cuts his personal expenses close to zero, not just bringing a bag lunch. Therefore he has no need for the 100k + that Tiger (and I guess obviously you?) seem to think he's paying himself.

#3547 9 years ago

Anyone want to post it?

#3549 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Buyers eyes only man. They've got nothing else for a long time, let them have this.

Haha, like 1 week ago it was all "F the NDA the contract is in breach anyway!" now it's "ooo, bright shinies. Better not break the NDA"

#3593 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Looks like it's just that Adobe video we saw a few weeks ago.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but all of this stuff seems like old news.

The PF art should have been done years ago.

#3608 9 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

You had me at nuance and then you lost me at skillz.
Iceman you were far more entertaining when you were ginned up to the gills, rallying the troops and demanding a sit down. This neutered sobriety is disappointing, I'm surprised you've been so deferential when old mate pop has just churned out more of the same.

He realized how much work it was going to be and settled for requesting a conference call haha. Sobering up sucks. Someone send him a bottle.

#3639 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This whole taking pre-order money at game embryo stage has to be on life support at this point, with all companies.

I think that was proven by WOOLY not getting off the ground, and that was a pretty developed game. Much better prospect than all the stuff that sucked up the pre-order dollars years ago. IMO if everybody could get a refund for predator and Jpop games, they would actually be able to get a WOOLY.

Not to say that WOOLY wouldn't have its issues but they actually seem to have their stuff together on that project besides a few sound issues.

#3640 9 years ago

P.S. I do not want to derail into a WOOLY discussion just making a single point and move on :p

#3642 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

JJP may be able to mine those individuals who completed two pre orders for WOZ and Hobbit in the past but even that number likely falls with each release and each delay

And each 8k price point

#3671 9 years ago

Wow, seems like once Ben Heck was off the project all of his concepts had to be replaced. Except for magnets... I think?

#3689 9 years ago

Pretty sure people would settle for stick figures if there was a flipping pin with mechs and ramps involved.

#3693 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I think they are really trying to bring pinball up a level (or two). Color makes a difference .
(posted with permission)
Chris

zombie_color_spacegirl_close2.jp... 150 KB

Is that Spaceman Spiff's ship on the right?

#3703 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The art is definitely a million times better than what's out there now.
But then, you can actually *play* what's out there now. How about less art and more completed games?

I'm just gonna say it... Stern would probably have art just as good if they spent 4 years on it. Hell, even if they spent 1 year on it. In fact, Metallica was great and didn't set the game back. With multiple designs.

#3726 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I liked the BHZA theme better than the direction the RAZA theme has taken

I don't even know what the current RAZA theme is... I'm probably not alone in this. I'm fairly sure it's not zombies. Unless there's some serious metaphorical depth in all this.

#3746 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A little sorry it didn't work out for me to be part of that, but looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
Would anyone really be shocked if Spooky ships game 2 before Jpop ships a single unit?

Not in the slightest. I have huge confidence in spooky and can't wait for #2

#3844 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Outside of SWE1 which is more a cookie cutter licensed art package, JPop's games have a ton of bright purple and often greens that are acid tones. CV, WCS, TOTAN and to a lesser degree TOM all have the purple and three of them have a lot of the greens.

So you shouldn't really be surprised by this at this point?

#3905 9 years ago

MG Cab looks sick

#3977 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, the close up shot of a playfield feature is nice and all but it's more of the same. Zero progress. Same old same old.
Show a video of the game flipping. That's what people need to see!

I disagree, it is something. We are seeing areas of the pin that make it seem a lot closer to completion. That's a good thing.

#3980 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The "lebowski" MG reveal was scheduled for Dec 17th I believe, so we're approaching 2 months past that date with only bread crumbs.
Not sure how this bodes for our RAZAs.
I have to go back to a quote of Iceman's, that nothing we've said or done affects how John does anything. These breadcrumbs are how he wants to unveil his games, no matter how late they are and pissed off his customers are.
Anyone buying into future games will at least know what they're buying into going forward. When I came into raza, these things weren't known.

Ya, it's a cautionary tale for sure. i think AIW will get off the ground judging from these photos. But I have decided I'd rather have 4-5 pins today than pay 21k (Canadian $) for AIW and possibly wait 3 or 4 years with no info, hoping the project is funded by games 4 and 5... it's all too big a gamble for me.

#3985 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Me too....

liger_queen.jpg 96 KB

I like that girl's personality...

#3987 9 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

It really seems odd to have a newton ball in a stand-up slot. I can't think of any advantage this design would have over just drilling the holes needed for whatever posts you would use to secure it in place. Like Rotodave said, if it's just a peg with washers on both sides, it will move and probably end up jacking up the stand-ups next to it. So either John has redesigned the newton ball to require a slot for some reason, or the playfield was designed for 3 stand-ups, and the newton ball was added after the fact in some post-whitewood tinkering. I wouldn't be surprised by either, but if it is the latter, that's not what you want to be showing off in great detail on your "almost finished game" I would think. I still for the life of me can't think of any advantage a redesigned "Slot" newton-ball would have.

Maybe it's a magnet that switches polarity

#4008 9 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Yes, sorry. Debbie downer for sure. I will suffer in silence. Sorry again.I do have lots of great pin to play! Hey, that does feel better!

Leaf fans are prone to losing all hope. I hear there is an epidemic of that going around.

#4025 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Anyone notice the "Ride the Comet" and "Ride the Cyclone" on the sidebar of the RAZA PF sketch? I thought John was about innovation..

I'm under the impression that the theme is about incorporating a bunch of old pin themes into one pin. Maybe I'm way off base here.

1 week later
#4168 9 years ago

Maybe he just doesn't want to ruin the surprise.

#4370 9 years ago

It sounds to me like he did his poor john shpiel and iceman is so desperate to believe that he is doing johns dirty work for him now. What I heard from all this is that john needs you all to give him your final payments or the project is sunk. If I were involved there is absolutely nothing that could get me to send the final payment without seeing games shipping out the door.

#4371 9 years ago

And one more thing. He had to fire his assistant and hasn't paid himself for months? The company is broke, plain and simple.

#4419 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Spill some over to Pinside on occasions if you like

Yeah, explain to me again how keeping pinside in the dark has been effective in the past?

#4470 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

This is entirely BS and borderline slander. Watch it dude. Seriously. I speak from knowledge; you babble from ignorance

Quoted from StevenP:

With all the bitching and moaning and accusations here, would YOU want to post here if you were JPOP? Heck, I barely want to enter this thread but then I see stuff like the b*llsh*t I quoted above and had to respond to

Quoted from StevenP:

Yeah, I know. I did the law school thing. It's a fine line that can be crossed easily. And adding a few wishy-washy words is not necessarily a valid defense

a) If you had any knowledge whatsoever you would know that you can't silence someone on an internet message board with "slander" accusations. Your semester at law school before realizing you couldn't hack it doesn't intimidate anyone, so you can probably stop trying to use it as an appeal to authority 30 years later.

b) Yes, if I were JPop I would want to post here - it's called client management and public relations.

c) Freedom of speech is a valid defense. We are all glad to hear your professional advice is to throw money at a frivolous lawsuit against somebody who offended you on the internet. I can see why you are so successful.

#4485 9 years ago

So this whole project is about to go dark?

#4870 9 years ago

What I see is a bunch of "nice guys" optimistically trying to get in and solve the problem with teamwork. I get that, good for you. The problem is you will have to wrest power from a control freak with zero integrity as documented by his manipulation and deceit from day 1. My guess is he would rather blow the whole thing up than let somebody "take his project" from him. I hope to god people do not send in more money... if it works out that's great. But do not get into this any deeper than you already are.

#5003 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Not the only ones allowed to comment but certainly the ones that really matter . At least to them. Used to be a good place for those in and those intersted to share the journey but now a days a few folks like to come in threads they are not involved in and don't even have real interest in just to add negativity .That makes no sense and has no relevance.

Have you ever considered that maybe it's you that this thread doesn't pertain to? Somebody not interested in public opinion of this project? The blog was made for what you are describing. Go ahead and drain this thread if you want.

#5006 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

The only ones that really matter are the ones invested . This community bullshit is a fn joke!!

Sound familiar? You don't want to be part of the community, go be in your buyers club. The community is not limited to those who specifically paid for MG and RAZA.

#5013 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Guess everyone has a right to express his opinion, but when non-owners dominate the thread, it becomes annoying

I'm finding the non-buyers to be the ones willing to point out the reality of the situation to the starry eyed owners who have been run over roughshod with gag orders, legal threats and the possibility of losing their money if they speak the truth. At the end of all this if any actual games get shipped it will be because of the people who questioned John and forced him to reveal the truth after 4 years of using the investors money as leverage against them. Some of those are owners, some of them are jilted vendors or partners, and some of them are just concerned members of pinside.

#5045 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

its either one of two things) He really has spent most of the $$$ OR2) He really is just that DUMB

I said it before and I'll say it again... as an auditor and accountant I see this often. When vendors aren't getting paid, assistants are released for no reason, and an owner/manager stops paying themselves, there is no money left in the business. If he collected 17k*25 Magic Girl = $425k. RAZA $10k*100? RAZA is supposedly a run of 124 but I don't think they're all paid in full, same with MG. Say there is $1M for RAZA dollars.

Total cash: $1,425,000
Annual cost of studio: $100,000
Annual Employees (Artists/John): $80,000
Annual Computer/software/equipment: $5,000
$185k * 4 years = $740k

Capital assets over the 4 yrs (machinery, tools, furniture & equipment)
Ball park another $35k

Used in the above: $775k/$1,425k

So even excluding the ENTIRE cost of putting ANY part of ANY pinball machine together, before even counting a single switch or wire, excluding ALL parties outside of John and his immediate employees, using the most conservative estimate I can possibly imagine, we still see well over half of the cash is already gone. Add the cost of third parties for development, plus the actual cost of materials to build the machines, lawyer fees, patent costs, scrapped gadget development. And these pins haven't even gone into production yet. You can assume another year or two of these annual costs before MG and RAZA are even out the door. So say by the time the last RAZA is shipped and all money collected is end of 2016 $1,145/$1,665 is spoken for just in wages/salaries and the annual cost of the building.

Assuming John makes $0 profit, that leaves $520k for the cost of producing 149 machines, or $3,500 per pin. That includes all of the extra costs I mentioned above. If you disagree with some of my calculations, at least you have to admit the picture doesn't look good.

#5054 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've never been to John's studio, but I've heard it's huge and full of cool gear. CNC machines etc. I'd say your ball park for tools and equipment is probably low.

Yeah I wanted to use an absolute minimum. And if using that minimum assumes he's buying everything at garage sales and liquidation auctions still makes things look bad, the true situation is much worse.

#5072 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Kevin's lies and deceit are much more evil.

I think you are forgetting a lot of JPop's lies as well. They are a similar stripe, but Kevin was promising something in a tempting price range so may have gotten more people who can't afford to lose the money.

#5147 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'll say it again, he has provide a clear "FINANCIAL PICTURE", of where things stand, who needs to get paid, who owes what, etc...PERIOD.

Yeah, one thing you might worry about is that he pays himself a monthly paycheque out of the company so that when the company goes bust, he has a nestegg in a personal account. Of say... hundreds of thousands. That would be a very good reason for him not to want to open his books.

#5156 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

John K. hasn't had another animated show since Ren & Stimpy and Ripping Friends

R&S was my favourite childhood cartoon. I own the comic books from #1 to about #30. Guy was amazing. How about a JPop Ren & Stimpy pinball next?

#5178 9 years ago

After every phone call everything seems fine with John. Then you realize he just knows what to say to make you believe. Nothing has changed, it's been groundhog day for years. He's the same guy that blew you off and caused this shitstorm the last couple days, no phone call is changing that.

#5196 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I'm saying if and when 68. Eventually the truth will have to come out but it would be in everyone's best interest to get this info asap, and if he's not willing to give Ice the "state of affairs" and prove where it stands financially then what's the whole point of ice going through this exercise? Trust me he is not there to waste his own valuable time and I will assume, since D is a smart boy it is exactly what he is working towards

JPop is in this position because nobody can wrangle him. If Gary Stern can't wrangle him, Ice probably can't either. I was going to go on a long winded rant again, but basically anything short of JPop putting himself on live-cam so we know he's working will make this project move forward. Maybe you can talk him into making a reality show.

#5207 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

If I wanted to try and help John I wouldn't share any info here that he gave me right away. Whoever works with him needs to build trust.

This kind of secrecy and pussyfooting around is a) what allows John to be in control and b) what enrages pinside about this entire project.

#5223 9 years ago

I'm not seeing anyone lining up to hand over cash unless somebody else who is trustworthy is building these machines. No surprise he has spent it all by now. There is a LOT more expense to go before anything is shipped. There is also the matter of his lawyer coming on pinside and claiming there is NO shortage of cash. But I guess at this point we have to get over being lied to by multiple parties.

#5265 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

The Ben option: "OK customer, let's get this thing built!"
The JPop option: "OK, let's build this pin right after we remodel your house so that it complements the artwork of RAZA."

Haha yeah 1k to have jpop assemble the machine plus room and board for a year

#5304 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've always said he'll go to his grave trying to protect his pinball legacy and will do whatever it takes.
He has just exercised such poor judgement and is so financially inept and a horrendous business person.
He needs help to turn that part of it around. Maybe he is listening and starting to really get his shit together. We will know soon enough.

Everybody appreciates the leadership you've put in here. But knowing John's difficulties, he could put you in the "go down with the ship" situation if he uses you to give people confidence to put more money into the project and then it dies anyway because JPop is JPop.

#5356 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

[posted simialr info in the Skit-B thread in response to somebody saying the 2 situations were similar, which I disagree with.]

There are a lot of concerning similarities between John and Kevin.

both projects have dragged on for years longer than necessary with little to show for it
both have charismatic personalities that allay fears with personal/emotional interaction
both rely on third parties to relay calming messages to the masses
both withdraw from direct contact with the public (the victims? a guilt thing?)
both have "closed books" and the financial situation and transactions are known only to them
both have multiple projects running at once
both have preorder $ that will expire past a dispute deadline due to the extended project time
both have been caught lying to delay/extend deadline dates indefinitely
both use vague or evasive language

That's enough for this post, but maybe more people can play the "similarity game" if you can think of something important or relevant.

#5367 9 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

The torches are still lit and the pitchforks are already out of the barn and in our hands. Kevin's place is already burnt to the ground. No reason to go home, let's just march on over to John's place and torch that sucker as well. Now that I think of it, weren't the Hobbit machines supposed to start shipping in December of last year? Hmmm..... torches still lit, pitchforks still in hand.
2015; what a year in pinball to remember, I bet.

There was a hard lesson learned on Skit B, you can be sure people will be doing their due diligence on Jpop.

#5537 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

You had best read back through all of this before you decide to throw your hat into the ring.
Here are the basic things you'll need to know:
You won't get a prototype game in which to develop the software code on. John won't let anything out of his sight, even if it's stuff that will be "junked".
You will not be communicating with anyone else involved with Zidware, just John. So if someone else makes (or convinces John to make) changes that affect your work, don't expect to be able to bring up dialogue with the other parties to help support your ideas or ways of doing things.
Anything you send John to "test", you will likely not get any feedback or anything resembling "test results" or any valuable information in which to judge the success or failure of anything you are doing. You will also likely likely be asked to make a million revisions, even after he has signed off on your work.
You will likely be pushed very hard to "meet deadlines" that John will then blow off at the very last minute, causing you to need to wear a hat for subsequent weeks to cover the bruises you inflict on yourself from banging your head into the nearest brick wall.
You will likely come out of the scenario with a couple of neat t-shirts, possibly owed money, and a negative attitude towards doing any form of contract work for anyone else in the pinball business.
I think that about covers it.
Still want to give it a try?

I just want to make something clear. To all the people who are pissed at the Anonymous Group who didn't warn people about Predator fast enough:

GL Modular has been the canary in the coal mine on this project for months and hasn't been taken seriously enough. Consider yourself officially warned a la an AG type warning. This project is on life support and fading. Ice and some of the owners have gotten serious as of late, but they need everybody's help, and that help has to be serious. I.E. force John to open the doors wide open and let you into the chocolate factory now. Not in "2 weeks."

#5560 9 years ago

And all hope that JPop had taken any of Ice's advice to heart was lost...

#5564 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

by the time his games come out all of his secret ideas will be thought of and used by other companies

Correction: these games will only come out if all his secret ideas are thought of and used by other companies.

#5567 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Or is he just upset because now everyone can see how much time he's wasting on game three when he's screwing over his very first supporters by leaving Magic Girl in limbo?

Pretty sure this is the great harm he's talking about.

#5570 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

just a bunch of work and progress into vapor ware game three.

John "Ponzi" Popadiuk

#5575 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Given that this Zidware situation comes down to a lack of direction, a lack of business acumen and bad communication as opposed to fraud, I don't want to sue John and Zidware.

The question is, is he still collecting money from people with no mechanisms in place to deliver the promised product. If that is the case - fraud could be an issue.

#5682 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

No worries, Aurich.
As for non-payment vs. cash flow, the two should not be taken as having any "direct" relation. Keep in mind that somehow Zidware expanded and is now leasing twice the space they had when I was last there, so somehow there is justification (and money) to pay for that, but not to pay the outstanding invoices for GLM, Cointaker, etc.?

Well it makes sense that they would lease less space during development stages and have to expand the workshop for manufacturing later on. It doesn't mean they have more money, it's just a case of not wasting money on unnecessary square footage until its necessary.

#5700 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So what happened? Did people start criticizing what they saw, so he closed everything back up?

No we were asking on pinside why he was spending his time on AIW instead of finishing MG and RAZA. And he freaked.

#5863 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Right now we're at end of March, and he has basically disappeared on us again

Yeah, it's looking like game over.

#5879 9 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

only skimming this thread but there's no one left here actually arguing that jpop is ever going to release a real game, right?

Seems like most people have lost all illusion

#5898 9 years ago

Too late now to leave, is that a reference to refunds?

#5961 9 years ago

Pretty sure once John realizes that if nobody is sending money for AIW his ponzi is over. Time to gtfo.

2 weeks later
#7279 9 years ago

I'm guessing that Jpop doesn't have enough money for a lawyer, and would not have enough return on investment if he sued someone to even attempt it. I agree with earlier opinions that he wants a scapegoat to blame for the projects' failure so he can walk away and pretend to have the high moral ground. He is delusional and narcissistic.

#7388 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But let's not insult Spooky here. I'm predicting their next game will be sold out within a month of announcement

I'm thinking a new Elvira.

#7460 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

These are the Mondo prints I have behind me right now:

Is that a cat or a platypus?

#7575 8 years ago

Obviously there is nothing I can do to stop people from going after me legally or pressing charges at any time for anything in America, personally or in business. I have that same right to go after my critics or anyone. But certainly anything big would shutdown all work here immediately, as my time would be needed for legal items I am sure and to protect the work and pinball IP which is substantial. I probably could not afford either to hire lawyers needed. Never been sued or charged in the past “for anything”, lead a quiet (somewhat) peaceful career, so I have no experience at all, other than the attorneys make out fine financially and not all attorneys are to be “trusted” as I have learn firsthand.

Wondering if that last part is a dig at Iceman.
Hoping the owners stop taking crap from John sometime in the near future.
1) he threatens "critics" with legal action, then turns around and says he can't afford a lawyer to sue. So basically just trying to stop free speech on the internet by using empty threats.
2) Setting himself up to use the inevitable lawsuit as the scapegoat we all know he's been looking for in order to wash his hands of the project. i.e. "whoever does decide to sue me, it will be your fault the project fails and people don't get their pins!" Same as Kevin and his supporters did with the AG. Try to pass blame.
3) "I've never been sued in the past for anything" so what, you are to be trusted? Have you ever taken millions of dollars in cash from people before?

John is a delusional self-serving crook. He will never admit to wrongdoing, as his narcissistic and paranoid personality disorders do not allow him to accept he can be in the wrong. If he still had your pre-order money, he could definitely afford a lawyer to protect his IP. This should be considered an admission that the money is gone and the company is broke.

#7617 8 years ago

The sad fact is, at the 11th hour when he's out of money he is now "scrambling" to put out a video showing a working MG game. The customers should have been allowed to follow the design process and have full knowledge of the progress of their game all along anyways, which has not happened. This video is not a true Mea Culpa, in that John believes he is doing the customers a favor by showing it. I have a feeling the only reason we are going to see this is so he can try and access more pre-order $, and collect final payments for MG and RAZA.

Nobody is going to give more money to somebody who manages his timelines and business in the way John has, which has necessitated this hail mary sneak peek. It's not that it doesn't matter that he now has a working game to show us, but more importantly whether he has one or not, there is no trust in his business or ability to take it forward successfully. There is no more pre-order money coming whether MG is flipping or not.

All thanks to Concrete who came out with the news (and if you're annoyed by pinchili just put him on ignore, don't stop posting news here).

#7777 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's kind of the point, the money hasn't lasted, it's gone.

Exactly what I was going to say. One possible reason he is vice president, and not owner or president is so that he can draw a salary as an employee and have no personal liability from the company. His wife is arms lengthish, could say John was a poor manager and the business failed. If Zidware declares bankruptcy, wife could claim a business loss on her personal income tax, reducing the amount of tax she would have to pay for her other (presumably successful) business. It is also a possibility that Zidware might be "renting" the building and equipment from a holding company owned by a John, his wife, or a close relative. This way even if Zidware (a pinball manufacturing company) goes bankrupt, the holding company (a capital asset investment company) gets to keep the money from rent, and keep the shop and equipment.

This is only one possible scenario and I don't know anything about how John runs his operation. I am merely stating that if this were the current arrangement, one company could easily have transferred all of its assets into another arms length company which would make it very hard for someone to go after the assets via a lawsuit once bankruptcy is declared. There is a possibility that Zidware owns zero assets to liquidate aside from some pinball parts. There is no limit to what John may have been paying himself, someone would have to physically delve into the books and bank account to be sure.

#7785 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Rai, I think 2 c. Is the only way we see pins

I'm sure the limited numbers are about as reliable as the promise that Ben would come to your house.

#7975 8 years ago

Whoever played the mythical flipping MG can't have been too impressed by it. I'm going on the pics or it didn't happen assumption on pdxmonkey's claims.

#7998 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not on his blogs or FB but has anything come out from John that things are at a standstill?
Has he ever said what happened to his promised reveals? Surely he does not think the Adobe video as an on the rug reveal?

John knows it is over. He's not talking like Kevin wasn't talking once predator blew up. There's nothing left to say, just time to GTFO of dodge. The only people who don't know it's over is a couple extreme optimists in this thread.

#8017 8 years ago

Maybe pdx is in line for one of those 3 prototypes. looks like the only person going to get a MG out of this is john and 2 of his closest bootlicks.

#8177 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

-Let's say he burns $12,000 per month for 4 years that's $576K round up to $600,000 so he still has $600,000 left to finish the work and another 4 years worth of cash burn left. I just picked $12k a month as arbitrary

This is an unrealistically low estimate, and no base to begin your analysis. The entire post is baseless optimism.

#8293 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

but I won't give up trying to figure out options until it's totally dead and the carcass stinks to high heaven

Might want to remove that nose plug.

#8351 8 years ago

At this point the legal risk is too high with this project to go anywhere near it. John's word is garbage, and there is no way any potential investor would know how many people are owed money, or might sue in the future. The project is dead.

#8382 8 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I am not physically involved, but I know one of the people making parts. Its only up from here.

Haha... ok. A lot of people know people who made parts. They all got stiffed and the contracts cancelled.

#8580 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

John has not committed fraud, I do not believe there is any evidence that he deliberately deceived anyone

He claimed he had deals with people to produce the product that he never had in place. He didn't sign Ben Heck, sold the machines and re-themed them after taking the money. He does not give refunds despite producing (theoretically) a different product than the customer paid for.

A fraud case could easily be pursued.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

From the sidelines, I certainly feel bad for StevenP.

Kevin had the same thing going on, where fans just wanted to be close to pinball designers, and they got manipulated and turned into unwitting shills. They are a huge part of keeping the charade going long after legal action should have been filed.

#8585 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think that applies. This is not a case of John taking property or funds and making it his own. This is business taking in funds and using it to operate the business. If this was a case where money was in an account, like at true investment account, and he then took and used for his own purposes, that would then fall into this. If he rented equipment and then sold it, that would also fall into this. It may also apply if he bought items from vendors, that he did not pay for, and then sold them.

As a business, pre-order money is not to be used as you please. It is a contract with your buyer to supply a product "as advertised" in a reasonable period of time. Presumably that reasonable period is governed by the production schedule put forth at the time of the order plus about 6 months to a year usually, depending on whoever is arbitrating the case. This happens in condominiums etc. where if the product is not to the advertised standard or not delivered within a reasonable time of the production schedule, the developer must return the "deposit" money and allow you to walk away from your contract.

A preorder is not a "true" investment as you describe, because it does not involve a share of the company. People were not "betting" on John. But as a preorder, it is protected by procurement and property laws designed to protect people from fraud and theft by unscrupulous companies.

#8590 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

After some reasonable time if someone did not ask for their money, there were accepting that change in the product.

That's not how it works, if you change the product you are selling you get them to sign an acknowledgement of the changes, or at least e-mail consent so you have documentation.

Quoted from rosh:

I don't think that is the same legal situation as Predator, where he lacked the legal right to do so. Many businesses make plans that then change, that does not make them illegal/fraud, but I do not know to what degree jpop made statements around the manufacturing side e.g. did he have verbal agreements on getting games made that then fell apart, that would not be fraud, if he had no clue how he would do it and claimed he did, well that would be deception

No, it doesn't have to relate to Predator at all to still be considered fraud. But you can compare it to Predator in that this is another case of Pinheads vs. "fraudulent manufacturer X." The situation is unique but Predator taught the community the warning signs and what needs to be done to protect the defrauded customers.

Making plans that change is fine. However the production schedule was never updated, and assurances of a delivery schedule keep getting made based on "agreements" that the vendors claim had no basis in fact whatsoever. That is fraud, because by not realistically updating the production schedule and instead continually claiming delivery is imminent, it denies the legal right of the customer to demand their deposit money back based on non-delivery.

#8591 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Kevin could certainly end up in jail, I don't think the same is true of Jpop.

You can go to prison for a ponzi scheme. I think a prosecutor could prove that's exactly what John has set up.

#8618 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Of those in this thread (407! pinsiders, 8500+ posts !!) who has a dog in the fight?
Some are obvious by the post content, but did not read them all & some ordered more than 1.
Raz, Ice,Tiger .... who else?

Was this post designed to get like 40 response posts saying "me"? We all have hundreds of dogs in the fight, they're called pinsiders.

1 week later
#9121 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

The law suit(s) could do in the customer as well, especially if something good is being done behind the scenes which is why we haven't heard anything as of yet. just saying

If something good was being done, it wouldn't be behind the scenes.

#9141 8 years ago

Did I miss something that happened that made a bunch of people optimistic? Is it pdxmonkey? Cause this all happened with predator... it's deja vu all over again.

#9329 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I do NOT disagree - fwiw. I'm far from pleased to have been involved in this fiasco. I'm coming at it from someone wanting to see a positive outcome - and seeing one I did not expect. ...Not objectively of course

Unfortunately we saw this happen to Aaron of FAST pinball when the Predator fiasco went down. A person with a vested interest became overly optimistic and urged support for a criminal project. The project itself is still a fraud, as many have seen for a long time.

JPop uses all of the classic con man tactics. Leaving time frames short forcing people to make split second decisions, the "if you don't bail us out we will fail, you get nothing" bankers tactic of 2008, everything about John's method is disgraceful. He is a 2 bit con with a ponzi scheme. I can't believe he conned someone into taking on the project, and they expect people to throw 10k more at this and sign more legal promises not to hold them responsible for delivery for 4 years? These people must know absolutely nothing. JPop is a weasel. I hope he is held accountable to the full extent of the law.

#11103 8 years ago

The glaring issue I see is that these pins are not worth what Bill is proposing to sell them for. 16k was for an ultra rare status symbol, which an extended run of MG's would not be. Second, people who just got burned for 6k are now being asked to put down 10k on another "theoretical" machine years in the future. Smart money would have learned their lesson by now, take that 10k and go shopping for a physical machine that you can take home today.

It seems to me like Bill might have just bought himself a one of a kind pin.

#11265 8 years ago

Soooo... Hobbit is in trouble...

#11269 8 years ago

I'm starting to think with all these evil people showing up in boutique pinball, Chuck is going to turn out to be an axe murderer or something haha.

#11270 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What's up with JJP? Man if they collapse, won't that be worse than Kevin and John put together?

In reading Elaut's case report, they basically accuse Jack of being a mafia style crook who swindled 1.6 million out of their company by replacing the entire staff of their company with family members and paying the money out to a bunch of his own bank accounts while cooking the books.

It's still in court though, so he's innocent until proven guilty...

Edit: and the reason I say Hobbit is in trouble is that a major license like that might pull the plug just because they don't want to be affiliated.

#11282 8 years ago

On the plus side, it all really makes me want an AMH.

And at least JPop has taught us all a valuable lesson on due diligence and project monitoring. I think the community as a whole will turn out a lot stronger in the end, as far as professionalism and expectations are concerned. The next developer will be expected to have their act together. Bill is the first to experience these new expectations

#11451 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Questions still waiting for answers:
1. Terms of the license agreement.2. Why license, with the complicated "we'll make you whole" rigamarole instead of buy-out and clear, legal transfer of liability.

Because nobody would ever assume this liability, the project would be dead if that were part of the deal.

#11471 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

But the thing is, this deal as structured - the license - will be revoked as part of the bankruptcy proceedings. This is virtually guaranteed. If you buy the company and assume the debt, you at least maintain control of the IP. Or, alternatively, you let it fail and pick up the IP at auction, but that's way more messy.
But the third option is, get the physical assets out of his hands before the collapse and have the ultimate collectable. The license fails, the deal evaporates and everyone is out their million dollars, but one lucky guy has a flipping game.
There's a simple logic to the argument. Occam's Razor and all that.

The license will not be revoked due to the bankruptcy. And at any rate, even if the license was only valid for the next couple weeks, it allows Bill to complete the 1 game, bring it to shows and test the waters to see if it would be worth buying the IP.

#11529 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Am I the only person who thinks this is some kind of shell game?
How are we to believe or how can it be proven that John has no money left?
And as I said before if (as Ben suggested) it would cost ~$1M to build and code the games (so John should have known how much he could burn designing them and how much he needed to keep in reserve) so why was John spending money like crazy and can we believe there is no money left from over $1M collected when he has made so little progress and paid virtually no one involved?

Nobody claimed John has no money left. Zidware has no money left. John probably has lots.

#11550 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Yes i can foresee Tax audit coming soon. Isn't that the way the system usually whacks the crook?

A tax audit wouldn't have much effect if he is reported on payroll.

#11737 8 years ago
Quoted from PINTASIA:

So for those people who are the naysayers and can't stand the fact that someone has truly stepped up out of the goodness of their heart to help the pinball community and want to just try to dig up stuff to hurt Bill and Pintasia...stop, just stop.

Quoted from PINTASIA:

you will find a lot of information, some which is true and some which is false or simply has nothing to do with the topic at hand. How many people have the same name? Has someone really tried to understand who these people are behind Pintasia, or is everyone on a race to try to put up nasty posts and create drama. There are a number of people all with the name Sabrina Wei, and unfortunately some of those people have had a checkered past

Your post is so vague it's alarming. Stop trying to dig up stuff on Pintasia and Sabrina Wei? Why? What exactly are you denying from that pastebin link? Did this Sabrina work for those companies known to be perpetrating Ponzi schemes?

You have to admit that there is another Sabrina Wei in BC that is a CFO that is accused of ponzi activity when Pintasia is proposing to take over a ponzi scheme and take preorder dollars. I urge every person to read the pastebin link

http://pastebin.com/DE1knCKH

Then re-read the full pintasia post and see if the blanket denials and deflections, generalized shaming for questioning Sabrina and appeal to stop trying to look up info on Pintasia staff doesn't make your hair stand on end a bit. We are past blindly trusting people because they are community members and seem nice and good and honorable. It's time to do real due diligence.

And keep in mind, Pintasia isn't "not asking anybody for any money," They are, according to John's e-mail, talking about making a grab for the remaining pre-order dollars for all 3 games. With no prior record of ever manufacturing a pinball machine. If they fail, they can walk away just like John is. This is very very dangerous, and an even worse investment for almost double the money most people already put down on John.

People are going to call me an asshole for talking ill of such a nice guy (which maybe Bill is) but if people get burned again, they need to accept that this is a bad gamble and they deserve whatever the outcome is for it. Better do your research and make sure the odds are in your favor.

#11751 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Was it BC or just 'canada'? I didn't recall seeing things specifically saying BC... but that copy/paste hack job was so impossible to digest I probably only viewed a 1/5 of the content.
One thing we do know is... google her name and you see just how common it is. So I'm gonna need more than just 'canada' + 'same name' to call them the same people.

Not reading something and dismissing it isn't a great practice. But you're right, that's why Sabrina should specifically address all concerns and somebody should independently verify her responses.

#11755 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I read what was coherent and credible. Pontificating everyone should read something that is unintelligible or unsubstantiated is not 'great practice' either. I would also advocate one build a better case before drawing conclusions of fact and poking all my neighbors that the should buy in to.
Do people have concept of integrity or credibly anymore? Why pass along stuff you wouldn't be willing to put your own name to?

Because this is specifically a ponzi scheme being taken over by mysterious benefactors with questionable motives. So when people bring up evidence, substantiated or not, it should all be considered. You seem very quick to dismiss anything that isn't "air tight" and that is common for people who are emotionally invested.

#11758 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Was it BC or just 'canada'? I didn't recall seeing things specifically saying BC..

40.Canada issues DFRF Enterprises investment fraud warning on May.07, 2015
41."...In what appears to be the result of the first confirmed regulatory investigation into DFRF Enterprises, the British Columbia Securities Commission has issued an investor fraud warning.In an alert issued on May 6th, the Commission warned the general public ‘not to purchase memberships or other securities of DFRF Enterprises LLC, DFRF Enterprises Ltd., or other companies associated with Daniel Fernandez Rojo Filho..."

This was clearly posted early in the pastebin page, so nothing to do with the "copy/paste hackjob" being hard to follow. Pretty clear to me, and while Sabrina Wei may be a common name, the amount of Sabrina Weis in BC with multiple professional designations and high level positions of financial trust are probably fewer. That's why it should be directly asked if this Sabrina Wei has any connection with companies associated with Daniel Fernandez etc.

#11760 8 years ago

And furthermore, people who set up companies with ill intent will always give ownership (majority or full) to someone with a clean record and good reputation. However, the financial crimes are committed by a person of trust, sometimes on salary, sometimes contracted, while the ownership plays "patsy." Business goes bankrupt, owner says they were taken for a ride, not enough evidence to convict financial manager who perpetrated the crime so charges are dropped. Bankrupt corporation, money is gone. Move along.

Clearly the pinball community is an easy target with deep pockets. We need to work together and protect ourselves by not sneering off the people who want to protect the community by asking questions and vetting the companies and individuals in the pinball economy. Look at all the posts with tinfoil hat comments and conspiracy theory comments even after getting burned 4 times in the past few years. How are those people not the joke at this point?

#11779 8 years ago

Read the article and watch the YouTube videos linked. The only question is if this is the same Sabrina. If you choose to ignore it at this point that's your choice. All I have said is she needs to address it, I don't need to write a treatise on this for your benefit.

#11792 8 years ago

I specifically sent a PM to Pintasia and wcbrandes to clarify.

Hi Pintasia,

Just don't want to be jumping to any conclusions so I would like to ask directly if your employee Sabrina Wei is the same Sabrina Wei who has worked for companies affiliated with Daniel Fernandez Rojo Filho (particularly but not limited to DFRF Enterprises LLC.)?

Thanks

So we should have our answer soon and clear up any doubt.

#11795 8 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

After watching the linked video, I can confirm that it is the same Sabrina Wei. Bill and her attended Pin-A-Go-Go together earlier this month.

OK well in that case, to keep it brief for those who haven't read the pastebin (and it cites references) her former company and employer have lost a lawsuit filed against them for running a ponzi scheme and authorities suspect Daniel Fernandez Rojo Filho of being an important money launderer for El Chapo and the Sinaloa drug cartel. Starts to make sense Brandes goes with the godfather as his icon.

Edit: Pastebin relinked for convenience. http://pastebin.com/DE1knCKH
Edit2: I forgot to mention there was actually a RICO lawsuit filed against DFRF Enterprises in Massachusetts

#11809 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You can't make this stuff up!

No kidding, what a hobby. Imagine how many "conspiracy theories" about politics are true. Pretty much most. The biggest barrier is the people who refuse to view the evidence and dismiss it anyway.

#11819 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

People are acting like these NEW people took $1M of our money and ran their business into the ground.
So far they haven't asked me for anything, other than a bit of time. Talk about spinning your wheels.
If there was a round of crowd funding happening, then their background and character could be put under the microscope. Right now it makes no sense to scream bloody murder about it other than for the sake of drama alone.

Go back and read the letter from John, they were trying to get legally binding contracts out and force people to commit to purchasing with only a few days to act. That got kaiboshed because people laughed in their faces, but you can bet 100% that the plan is still to collect the rest of the preorder $.

#11824 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

It looks to me like Sabrina might have the money and contacts to get this done.

If that is the case they won't need to collect pre-orders. I am all for paying for something that's built and shipping.

#11831 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

This is one Hell of a book being written. Intrigue, wall street, back door deals,and money laundering. All we need is a body!

Hope it's not mine.

#11840 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Has anybody, with $ on preorders, been to the Zidware location in the past 3 months?

Does anybody know when John's lease is up? Somebody said they saw him packing up a pinball machine, I wonder if he's moving everything out. Seems likely given the rush of things happening before the end of the month. I'm thinking it's more important for somebody to check the place out this weekend, rather than if someone's been there in the past 3 months.

#11843 8 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

So is that really the person in those stories/videos because the Pintasia person seemed to imply it was not?

Yes, it is the same person. Multiple people have seen her in person and can identify her.

#11847 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Yea, all we had to do was get TLC to sign John for a show.

I wonder how he would structure their NDA.

#11889 8 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Nothing stands out to me that connects the Sabrina Wei (SW1) of Pintasia to the Sabrina Wei (SW2) that is connected to Daniel Filho and his alleged Ponzi schemes, other than a shared name.

The youtube videos show who the Sabrina Wei connected to Daniel Filho is, and multiple pinsiders have confirmed that they have met her in person and that both Sabrina Weis are the same.

#11912 8 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

Lots of speculation but I really think they are working on the logistics of a plan. I'm sure this plan
Will take some time to materialize. I'm also confident Pintasia will begin the revelation process
As soon as a plan and timeline is in place. I had a part in this as a vendor, they have money's
Tied up in this and intend to move forward. I'm going to wait for them to tell us what the deal is and
After the tacoma show where the pin gets revealed will be the start.
Personal attacks on Sabrina and Bill are not going to help us get this going.
my guys and myself worked are asses off and fast to get those ramps on that machine!
The ramps will be in Chicago tomorrow and I'm going to see if we can get some pics posted.
I know there are past vendors they are and or will be dealing with, it takes time to sort this shit out I'm sure. There is more too!ing work that will need done for MG and the other titles for my shop.
Just my vote of confidence

Yes. They are actually putting money into building MG prototypes right now, which includes your work. You are now emotionally invested and hope for the best. That doesn't mean you should give a vote of confidence to someone affiliated with conning people. Compare yourself to the list of people who backed Kevin Kulek. Vendors with their hard work at stake truly believe they are working for an "honest" deal. It is possible, with Sabrina Wei's track record, that this is an initial investment of (somehow) 100k (very questionable, unless John got paid off) to con people out of another million or more in preorder $ if they can make a kick ass MG to make people go googly eyed over. It takes money to make money.

You have already seen people get scammed by seemingly clean people like Kevin and JPop, Vonnie D. Now someone has done all the work for us to "out" the people behind Pintasia, so thanks to Fraudalert for doing the vetting for us.

Personal attacks on Bill and Sabrina aren't going to get this to move forward? These are not personal attacks. These are documented facts, and warnings to the pinside community to NOT hand their money over to someone with a history of fraud, or at least being closely associated. The fact that it has to be explained repeatedly like saying "don't take candy from strangers" is very tiring, and I have now experienced having to painstakingly explain the obvious red flags and bring them to the forefront first with predator, then with JPop and now with Pintasia. Each time is a huge battle against people who refuse to believe there might be something wrong.

Please, for the love of pinball start supporting the people who are putting in the effort to protect your pinball community. I was thankful for the AG during predator and gave them my ear when they needed it. Now Fraudalert needed somebody to listen when they had the information for us. Do everybody else the favor of taking the time to dig a little deeper when somebody says there is a problem, rather than shout them down. If the allegations are false, Sabrina can tell us that herself and show us the error of our ways.

#11967 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Crow:

I have not been asked for any payments from these "investors" and the only motive i have seen from them is to bring these pinballs to something other than a dream. I have seen more positive information from them in the past few days than i have seen in months on the blog. So far that is all the transparency I need. I am looking forward to the NW pinball reveal and will make my decision then on how to proceed.

Crow it is very strange that you have been around for a few months and your only posts have been to cheerlead this doomed project and chastise those who questioned it.

#11972 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

if a deal could be signed with a manufacturer then I would let all the "customers" and People who he owed, know exactly what the deal was. This is of course a negotiation that is not complete so to answer any questions right through to end is virtually impossible

Bill, were you aware of Sabrina's former employer and their criminal activity? And now knowing those connections do you still plan to keep her as a key player in this project?

#11978 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

That is not her former employee it was a favor she did for him thats it. I was not aware no

Her former employER was DFRF enterprises, not to mention she is specifically named as a defendant in other ponzi schemes such as:

From IHI to Tedder to Global Investments - OffshoreAlert
http://www.offshorealert.com › Forum › Old Message Board
Each defendant is charged with conspiracy to commit fraud, which carries a ... Sabrina Wei - Director IHI; Leading Minds International

Not just a favor. As a perpetrator.

#11981 8 years ago

Another excerpt:

" According to the lawsuit, DFRF promised Carter's clients, two Gloucester men who put $80,000 and $100,000 each into the company, annual returns of up to 15 percent on their investments.

“But DFRF’s business income was grossly inadequate to satisfy payments promised to members,” the lawsuit says, adding the Florida-based company has ramped up marketing and recruiting in Massachusetts since mid-2014, which has helped it “obtain tens of millions of dollars” from customers in the state."

#11982 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I do not know what Sabrina did in her past life however she has nothing to do with control of this company as I am the shareholder

You didn't even know she was employed at DFRF?

#11987 8 years ago

Tedder associate Sabrian Wei working on resume - OffshoreAlert
http://www.offshorealert.com › Forum › Old Message Board
Little history on Sabrina Wei. Director of International Heritage which was a Ponzi scheme that faced action by the SEC. Its leader Stan Van Etten was featured ...

Did you know she was a part of another ponzi scheme as Director of International Heritage?

I mean this is a serial history of ponzi schemes, not a one-off. How did you select her as a business partner? Did you see her resume?

#11990 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

If you check into me I don't think you will see anything close to being involved in anything even remotely close to any ponzi whatever

You do understand that you are basically proposing to take over from John's ponzi scheme right? and you just happen to have a serial ponzi scheme professional as a business partner?

#11999 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

again one more time she is not a shareholder I am 100%. If i pay her to get things done which she does she has 0 control over anything I do.

It is most concerning that in finding out your Finance & Operations manager has a 15 year history of illegal financial activities you are pretty much OK with that and willing to continue with business as usual. That's not how I would take this info. And you seem to not have even gone into the information and checked it out for yourself? Like... shouldn't you be interested in that sort of thing? As a millionaire business man I might find that a bit more interesting than "well, i'm not involved in any ponzi whatsits so whatever, no big deal."

#12015 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

At the end of the day this is just an attempt to see if I could pull something together for all the customers and vendors that lost there money and have zero to show for it. I see now it will virtually be impossible and perhaps I should just instead sit back and wait till some one else bucks up and then decide to buy out of the destruction

If you could ever pull this off it would because of a sound business model, substantial funds and access to a major manufacturer. What you are in a position to do right now is make a pitch for pre-order dollars, and you have hired a ponzi scheme specialist for a CFO and you don't even worry about that. If people on pinside are supposed to support this project, give us something to have some confidence over.

And don't give me the Kevin Kulek line "this project was going to be great, but the nay sayers ruined it for everybody!" You don't have the answers to back up what people see going on here. Come up with the answers. I am only asking the questions because they need to be asked, I have no desire to ruin a good project. Only a bad one.

#12030 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And someone who can copy/paste.. but not a URL? frustrating...

Google Sabrina Wei ponzi. She is all over the internet, you can access the SEC filings against the companies mentioned in that pastebin.

Here is an example, where you can see she was on the board of directors of IHI operating an illegal pyramid scheme.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/containers/fix030/769346/0001010412-98-000059.txt

And etc. if you want to keep digging the information is there to be found if you follow the pastebin info.

#12035 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

By people do you mean non customers who have no money on the line? If some of you are trying to run Bill off your doing a great job of it! Those of us who have been scammed by JPOP have already lost our money IMHO Bill is our last hope of getting something more than nothing. As an "owner" I feel I have nothing to lose and everything to gain if Bill can pull this off.
Just to recap... the money is already lost, JPOP pissed it down the drain! Without Bill its game over (no pun intended)

Concrete, your money is lost I agree. What people are trying to protect you from is a great prototype coming out, then Bill and his associate then saying "Ok, we will give you all partial credit for your current deposits, plus we will need an additional $6,000 to take this to production." Then disappearing the money like JPop did. Read the original letter sent by JPop, there was a huge amount of money involved in that first plan. The information available on Sabrina is that she has ways of completely disappearing money to Hong Kong, where you cannot get it back. Please read up on this rather than being blindly supportive. If AFTER you have done your due diligence you still want to give these people money, I can't save you and neither can anybody else.

#12118 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Another question nobody has asked:
Of the list of "Cars a pin can fit inside" how many get scratched off that list with this tall cabinet?
My guess is a lot, since it's the folded down height that is the killer.

Which means some doors might not be compatible in your house... time to renovate.

#12122 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think it's worth a try to see if the new restructuring plan would work, but I'm very skeptical that it will amount to anything.

I am pretty confident it will amount to 3 completed machines. There is like a 90% chance of that. Anybody who thinks they are getting one of them without forking over a ton of money is in dreamland.

#12126 8 years ago

Whoever gets one of the machines is going to have a lemon though, any time a part breaks you will have to get it custom made. No support. Nothing. It'll basically be a show piece so the president has a game to play when he comes to visit.

#12127 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

It'll basically be a show piece so the president has a game to play when he comes to visit.

*Prime Minister

#12232 8 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Why the rush now to get this game to a show so far away from Chicago? Is John dodging some sort of bullet by showing a flipping game in public?

"Misdirection is a form of deception in which the attention of an audience is focused on one thing in order to distract its attention from another.

Managing the audience's attention is the aim of all Theater, it is the foremost requirement of Theatrical Magic. Whether the Magic is of a "pocket trick" variety, or, a large stage production in Las Vegas, misdirection is the central secret of all Magic.

"The central secret of conjuring...is a manipulation of interest." (Henry Hay, The Amateur Magicians Handbook, pg. 2, copyright 1972).

The term is used to describe either the effect (the victim's focus on an unimportant object) or the sleight of hand or patter (the magician's speech) that creates it.

There are two basic ways to "misdirect" your audience; one is time-sensitive, the other isn't.

The time-sensitive approach encourages the audience to look away for a fleeting moment, so that the sleight or move may be accomplished undetected.

The other approach has much to do with re-framing the audiences perception, and perhaps very little to do with the senses. The minds of the audience members are distracted into thinking that an extraneous factor has much to do with the accomplishment of the feat, whereas it really doesn't have any bearing on the effect at all. "The true skill of the magician is in the skill he exhibits in influencing the spectators mind." (Dariel Fitzkee, Magic by Misdirection, pg. 33, copyright 1975)."

(From Wikipedia)

In short, watch JPop make himself disappear while you are playing MG at the show.

#12242 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 4.52.25 PM.png

Haha, you make me laugh lowepg.

#12276 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I appreciate the support man
I do and I do
Zombieyeti.com - portfolio (in need of updating)
Zombieyeti.bigcartel.com (prints and stuff)

LoL at the cartel reference

#12354 8 years ago

Edit: just frustrated. Removing post

#12452 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

From my frequent visits, not a lot. A small 3d printer,an iMac, lots of nuts, bolts, wirenuts, wire spools, LEDs, and a few empty cabinets. Maybe 4 or 5 prototype play fields. Otherwise, it's all printouts. I'm afraid he doesn't appear to have much asset wise...

Seems like he might want to give those LEDs back to Cointaker.

#12569 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

For anybody that thinks Bill the vulture is in it to make huge profits, or any at all, you'd have to suspend all sorts of common sense wouldn't you?
Can anybody really believe that there is a dime of profit to be made here? If there is, let it go through bankruptcy and have all the bidders line up for this hot property. I can't wait to see that one!
I've told Bill he was crazy for taking this on. I'm quite sure he's been second guessing himself from day one.
It won't matter how all of this turns out, Bill can't win, if he were to make any money he'd be tarred and feathered by a huge faction of pinheads, and the likely scenario, well he's already lost what he's dropped on this thing.

You don't need to have a sensible business plan to collect preorder money and "fail" and disappear it. No, I don't think anybody can make money on this project legally. You're right about that.

#12585 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Respectfully, I think the "no-go range" starts a helluva lot lower than $16K.
And, consider there's 2 distinct groups"
1. The folks already held hostage with deposit money.
2. New customers- folks with no skin in the game
Group 1 will likely want to believe anything positive.
Group 2 will be looking at this FAR more objectively, and comparing it to many other options
For Group2: I think the no-go price point is more like $9K. And realize for that it would still be the most expensive new game sold EVER.... who's the programmer again?

Not to mention group 2 would have nothing to do with the ponzi preorder.

#12606 8 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I have been trying to keep up with this thread and there is something that I haven't seen anyone bring up that could be very concerning to the future of pinball. Yes, even more concerning than fraudsters walking away with millions of collector's dollars.
We all know that JPop went crazy with patents early on. I don't know exactly how many he puchased with pre-order money. The big question I have is whether John's ownership of these patents could ever be in jeopardy. Would he not still hold these patents even if he went completely bankupt??
I had seen the details of some of these and I was expecting to see these devices being used in John's games. Now that the games are out in the open, I'm not really seeing that. My point is, I wonder if his hope is to cash in on these patents when other manufacturers try to use similar devices in future pinball machines! Could he have just 'carpet bombed' every concept he could think of in order to block progress and profit more from the industry?

My guess is John had a couple patents he held personally, and then could charge Zidware a fee every time it used it at any rate he wanted. Another way to suck money from the corp. into his personal accounts that would stand up as legitimate in court.

#12616 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

if John is still unwilling to help to even explain how the game is suppose to work he is a bigger POS than originally thought. MG is dead if they can't even figure out how the thing is suppose to work.

And yet he is a "consultant." Seems like that fell through...

#12630 8 years ago

It will be very enlightening if and when the time comes that the courts order John to disclose and substantiate all amounts paid to himself over the term of the project.

#12633 8 years ago

Given the size of peoples investments, I would argue that John had a fiduciary duty to act in the buyers best interests, which he clearly has not. He also breached his fiduciary duty by demanding that everybody sign a legal document within a few days stating they won't sue, and if they didn't sign it he would file for bankruptcy and they would get nothing. That is a pretty serious criminal offense. Read up on fiduciary duty and the laws in your state regarding this.

#12634 8 years ago

"Breach of fiduciary duty is regarded as an extremely serious violation by the law, and this is reflected in the stringent remedial rules that are utilized in this area. The various rules seek to put beneficiaries in the position they would have been in had there not been a breach of fiduciary duty. Accordingly, any losses flowing from the breach, such as a loss of an investment, or physical and mental suffering flowing from sexual or other abuse, will be compensated for. As well, with a view to deterring breach of fiduciary duty, any improperly obtained profit will be remitted to the beneficiary. In addition, breaching fiduciaries are more likely to have punitive damages awarded against them than are ordinary defendants. Fiduciary obligations can continue even after the formal termination of any contractual relationship between the fiduciary and the beneficiary.

Fiduciary relationships arise from the reasonable expectations of the parties, often in circumstances where one person reasonably relies on the other to protect his or her interests. They frequently involve explicit or implicit undertakings by one party to look after the interests of the other. Even relationships where the parties are expected to pursue their own self-interest can, in appropriate circumstances, be fiduciary. There are several cases where banks have been regarded as fiduciaries of their customers. Usually fiduciaries have power or influence over the economic, legal or practical interests of beneficiaries, who are somewhat vulnerable."
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/law-of-fiduciary-obligation/

#12651 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

True. I think many are still in the Anger stage. Lashing out is common. This is still an open wound and people want some kind of quick closure. And nothing with legal involvement is quick.

The key to making money is being there in the bargaining stage and offer to save them.

#12756 8 years ago

If we couldn't forgive people for what they say when blackout drunk, then there probably wouldn't be such thing as a community.

#12784 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Fair enough, I'll offer up a case of beer to Iceman that Bill ends up with the game at the end of this.

You should revise that to Bill gets A game out of this. Not necessarily the specific one that's going to NW.

If that is the bet, I will happily take the 3 to 1 odds on Iceman. However I don't actually expect him to pay me 3 grand if he loses, so a case of beer bet I guess.

#12794 8 years ago
Quoted from dt3:

This thread should have been closed and a new subforum should have been made to track this nonsense 100+ pages ago. Finding anything or following the situation casually has become impossible.

We definitely need a cole's notes of the important stuff.

#12926 8 years ago

And then Frolic's unfortunate response right after it...

Quoted from frolic:

uhhhh... I know the project is being worked on outside of the public eye, but any of the owners who follow the blog can tell you this is far enough along that we will see it completed relatively close to the goal. It was always projected at end of 2013. So it's not like some long overdue vaporware.

#12954 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

You should steal it and head to Mexico. This tale needs more twists and turns!

It is already headed to NW so it will be very close to Brandes' home of Vancouver. Maybe he'll just take his boat down to the show and... you know... boat back. With some cargo. :p

After all, though he said it was being "borrowed" and would be returned to Zidware, it appears Zidware is shut down, likely there is no building left for it to be returned to. So it only makes sense that Pintasia hold on to it. You know. For a while, until things get sorted out.

#13127 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Please do not misconstrue this as support for John in any way. I strongly believe John set out to make a pin and just miserably failed. He lacked any business knowledge, it seems, and obviously had such an inflated ego he was delusional in thinking he could do it. A failed business is a lot different than someone who is a intentional thief. Although in both cases the customer gets screwed.

It is pretty naive to think that somebody who compartmentalized every person working on the project from the beginning, didn't pay vendors, lied for years about the status, misrepresented the rate of progress, stonewalled the professionals who could help deliver it, and faked having deals with individuals who had nothing to do with the project had pure intentions and genuinely just failed as a businessman. Sure you may believe that, but you have very little reason to *strongly* believe that.

#13139 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

So your point is John went into this with criminal intent? I completely disagree if that's what you're saying.

I'm saying that from the very start he put the systems in place that would allow him to operate dishonestly. Take that for what you will.

#13143 8 years ago

If the Nigerian businessmen who keep e-mailing me knew about this site, they would have a gold mine. Because there is a huge population of people here who are extremely "trusting." And even when that trust is betrayed they turn a blind eye or jump to the defense of their betrayer. I am willing to bet that a lot of people are going to end up handing over money to pintasia, even though it is common knowledge their financial planner is tied to numerous ponzi schemes. Because some people just can't believe somebody would just take their money and run.

#13249 8 years ago

To be honest, this is the prototype that should have been shown 4 years ago to kick off the pre-orders. Not what is available to see after the million(s) are spent (on 3 games, not 1). Yes it looks cool. But the people have already paid for the games to be complete and shipping, and Alice should be at least a prototype of this MG's calibre.

Seeing what people get for everything they've invested (most not even on this game) makes me profoundly sad. MG just got to a the point it should have been at before collecting a dime.

#13256 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

With all the threats, lawsuits, and posts - don't you think Bill has a right to be cautious? Some of the comments here have been pretty wild and I would have my guard up as well as a plan B (escape route). From setting it on fire to throwing pinballs at the cabinet - are people serious or joking?

Haha... come on, despite all the internet tough guys on pinside, even if JPop himself showed up the worst he would get is some overly polite complaining. Nobody is going to vandalize the game or cause Bill and his company any trouble.

#13272 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Frolic - are you at least going to the NW show to see it in person? It looks pretty good from the "putting it together" perspective as I helped PDX monkey and John until 2am Wed. You guys need to focus on the present, and ignore all the speculation and bull crap comments - see the game and say whether you are in or out.

Hold on, hold on... hold the F**K on. This project has run as a ponzi scheme for the past 4 years. It has been taken over by a person with NO pinball manufacturing experience that put a career ponzi scheme professional as their finance manager. WHAT do you want people to decide whether they are IN or OUT OF? You are so blinded by the small amount of work you helped out with on this project you can't see what the hell is happening here.

Focus on the present? That's the dumbest, most gullible thing anybody can do. Focus on the past and what it means for the future. Make smart decisions. Don't focus on the present, that is how people burn you. Over. And over. And over.

#13316 8 years ago

I honestly thing MG is a beautiful game and the artwork is amazing. I would be very proud of it if I were you ZY.

#13329 8 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Oh I don't take it that way. And I agree there's too much sh#t on there but if I dig up the playfield as I did it (without the sh#t) it's got a lot of open and empty resting areas. Again - that's the contrast idea - you can't have action without calm etc...

Take a look at Tales from the Crypt. Very busy, yet visually stunning. I love intricate artwork with lots going on. Metallica Pro is widely regarded as some of the best pinball art as well. An entire internet forum will give you positive and negative reviews. Focus on the positive here, you have legitimately produced one of the best pieces of pinball art of all time in your first project. Don't worry about Ben, he often offends people :p

#13344 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm going to put it more delicately than Ben, but what's up with the colored GI? And is the backbox RGB that just happens to be constantly on purple or is that color of the strips?
Why would take Jeremy's work, blow out all the contrast in the name of constant oversaturation, and then compound that by killing any chance of the details appearing by washing it out all out with colored lights? Not hard to fix the GI, I'd like to know more about the backbox lighting though. Would look so much better with cool white lighting letting the art speak for itself.

This is why everybody does custom LEDs anyway. Everybody likes something different.

#13357 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure. And if you want to clown puke your game go for it. But established pinball people shouldn't be doing it, because it's a shitty practice that ruins artwork. If your backglass has lots of purple in it the answer isn't to light it all up with purple LEDs. That murders contrast, which sounds like a battle Jeremy has already had with John.
There are opinions about lots of things, and no one is right. But there are also objective facts, and one of them is that colored light distorts and blows out artwork.

Bring on the cool whites!

#13362 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Holy crap I got to read this thread more than 4x a day or i cant keep up.
Game looks cool but for the LED's and the owl.
Heres what the owl said when Jpop told him he was going in the game.
owl-orly-300x225.jpg

Haha, "I've contracted with some very exciting owls to bring onto the project team"

#13368 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

random musings:
"spilled a bag of skittles" on the game might have gone over better....
ramp looks better than i gave it credit for.
PF looks better with the lights OFF.
If this project WAS going forward, I would have asked zombieyeti to take a whack at the cabinet.
Sadly, I think this will be a bittersweet event for MG "owners." I'm afraid they might fall in love with the art of the game, but I suspect this might be the closest they ever come to getting one

I think as a game it is a work of art. To go into production, no company, not even Stern, can tackle the project at a marketable price.
What we have here is a million dollar machine that should be completed by volunteers and sit next to pinball circus in Vegas.

#13402 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

This is when I get foggy on how to argue right and wrong in this whole project. How do you argue difference of opinion and not meeting "expectations". If this is the game design you get - assuming Pintasia builds it - and your opinion is its "only worth 10k" - does Bill owe you a MG + $5995??
Folks ordered blindly at $15,995 and were promised a game. Game is now being shown, and those in at $15,995 don't like the look, feel and finish. But you gave over the money with no clue as to the final design,etc. You agreed and paid $15,995 with no refund. The game isn't worth that, in your opinion, now that you see it.
So is that fraud or high expectations v. the reality seen today. I'm not trying to be a jerk to those with $ in, but I honestly am looking for an explanation that isn't so foggy to understand.

Nobody ever thought it was going to be worth $16,000 in a run of 199 based purely on the design and mechanics. They thought it would be worth that much in a run of 25.

Edit: So yes, that is fraud if he does not give refunds after promising the limited number to the original buyers.

#13418 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

You got a deal.
I have #18. Now what's yours? Whip it out...
18.png

His must not be as girthy as yours.

#13438 8 years ago

Haha, you know what I'm going to grab a six pack right now and channel my inner iceman

#14119 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

"shady past"? Actually, it's shady *present*. Look at the dates on the videos posted regarding the DFRF Enterprises "IPO". It was only about a month ago. This isn't something that went down five or ten years ago, but last month.
I'm honestly perplexed why these revelations have not caused more of a shock here. Is it because people are so desperate to see a game? Is it because after all the failed reveals, lies, etc., one more lie is no big deal?
http://dfrfenterprisesctba.blogspot.com/2015/05/canada-manager-sabrina-wei-entrevista.html
http://www.bcsc.bc.ca/News/News_Releases/2015/39_Investor_Alert__BCSC_issues_warning_about_DFRF_Enterprises_LLC__DFRF_Enterprises_Ltd__and_Daniel_Fernandez_Rojo_Filho/

Haven't been on for the weekend, so am a bit behind. However I have to agree with this post, it's like if somebody walked into their house and caught someone looting the place but they were so busy arguing with their wife they just completely ignored him while he slowly slipped out the front door. That is how I see Bill Brandes exiting this project.

#14166 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Also note three weeks ago came was way further behind.
No rampsNo subwayNo scoopEtc

Seems like a lot of people who have started picking up the project to help get it available for the show are taking the criticism very personally. Like the people who criticize the project are going to kill a wilting flower they are trying to bring back to life.

Pdxmonkey is the guy who coyly told us "there is a game, I've played it." He also knew ages ago that there were no working mechs on the thing, never mind all the other deficiencies. Nobody was claiming that Zidware had an empty garage and the cabinets and game were not real. The claim was that for all the promises that the game was 95% complete, there was "basically" no game and John's assertions otherwise were nonsense. That turned out to be true, and pdxmonkey knew it a looooong time ago.

So now to criticize the project is supposed to be taboo because it hurts the feelings of people who have put time into it for the past 3 weeks? Get over yourselves, people wanted honest assessments of what the game IS in its current form, not what it "will be" (a promise with no guarantees).

Currently it is apparently a bare-bones pre-alpha prototype that looks beautiful. Many of the mechanics, however, were dreamed up with functions in mind that John probably came to terms with as beyond his skill to complete. Most of those mechs, realistically, will have to be removed or simplified for the game to be viable. John probably had concepts of what would "be cool" and thought that he could be just like Tesla and sit in a lab and invent ways for the magnets to do all the cool stuff. He then found out at some point that he was not capable.

You can tell that John wanted to put in all the ideas he had for his previous games that got nixed by higher ups. I'm guessing smarter people than him made the decisions because they were impractical for reasons varying from BOM to complexity or fragility.

From what I am reading it seems like the absolute minimum BOM for this game is 10k each if everything went perfectly and things got simplified. A realistic BOM estimate is supposedly 16k. That means the real murphy's law BOM is likely more like 20k.

From the multiple pages of feedback here, I am seeing an absolute maximum retail price of 10k. Which means even at the best of conditions you're covering ONLY BOM. You start out at zero maximum, and potential losses are huge. People do not go into business to lose money. If this is your thought process, then you need to reconsider. Nobody wants to buy you your Magic Girl out of their pocket because they love pinball.

The point being, there is no business case for this project to ever complete successfully. That means the only way to make money on this is by taking money and not producing the machines, or at least not fully producing them (i.e. complete it with very low quality) We are seeing a lot of volunteers and vendors attaching themselves to this project because yes, they are nice people. They don't want to be criticized because they are doing a nice thing, and just trying to do their best for the community and these pretty machines and whatnot. However, you are hitching your wagon to a dead horse. And because it (the "project plan") does not make any sense whatsoever, people are asking you how you plan for that horse to pull the wagon.

Some people are taking these posts as attacks, but they are legitimate concerns on behalf of the people who are being taken for a ride. Nobody wants to cause the project to fail. Nobody is basking in the glory of another failed project because they want to watch the world burn. They simply want to bring you back to reality - MG is starting from scratch (mechanically) and has no ability to make any money. It is a beautiful cabinet and playfield. Everything else is going to have to be re-engineered, from the parts to the design layout. And there is no money to do this coming from anybody.

#14206 8 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I'm not "wrong" at all. Without any actual real people saying this there really no "proof". Personally I think it's quite possible but I get tired of reading these rants with no actual names, evidence, etc...
"No secrets" remember...?

Presumably RD has seen the emails directly from jpop. If not they are available according to the emailer. Either way,
What about this whole situation and jpops actions make this unbelievable for you? You are tired of "rants with no proof" and yet the allegations are all proving true time and time again. Number one reason to believe it is that jpop already sunk the project himself, nobody has to lie to go after him.

#14209 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Your post was well thought out. Unfortunately it stemmed from one premise. That's the minimum BOM being $10k or maybe $20k. I believe the BOM can be reduced to around $5k once several of the parts are standardized. So redo your entire logic based on that and you can see a feasibility of a game getting completed and being profitable.

What is it going to cost to re-engineer the game? How many magnets and mechs are you taking out? What is the cost of your manufacturer?

#14258 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

In working on the game, and talking to John and seeing the cad drawings, I think much of the $ went to design for boards, custom lights (yes, even the lights were custom boards w/LED chips). Lots of $ spent on custom light design, boards, art and coders (I presume Applejuice got paid up until he said earlier, late 2014 I believe?) so vendors paid at least 2011-2014. The apron is custom stainless, the side rails are stainless (vs. stern black wood rails), custom boards for lights, custom boards for cpu, drivers, transformer was custom, cabinets and BB is custom (and patents?), BG is custom with inserted speakers (no speaker panel in back), custom scoop, custom subway.
Anyway, change all those to standard, and BoM goes down dramatically. Leave the 19 with all stainless, lightening bolts everywhere, etc. and then "regular run" of MG up to 199 with standard apron, rails, lighting etc. Most of the deposit money was spent on sunk, fixed costs for design, not the variable cost of each machines BoM. I think Bill can make the numbers work for both versions.
For RAZA, the BoM could be even cheaper b/c its a larger run, standard (mostly) parts, and could be much less cost / machine.

It is going to take 2-4 years to go from having a pre-alpha prototype to manufacturing and shipping games. You can strip it down to a bare bones stern pro model to get the BOM to a number you like, but add on top of that the cost of development and manufacturing projected for years into the future and you are still talking big numbers on top of the BOM. And like I said originally, a low quality product for people's 10k.

#14272 8 years ago
Quoted from Shorty:

Pdxmonkey - besides Bill, are you basically the "project manager" at this point doing most of the work? Who exactly is working on what and making decisions about the game features?

Who is the volunteer that has the prototype at their house?

Edit: Where are all 3 prototypes?

#14290 8 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Plenty here to fulfill #2:We have lawyers who aren't lawyers but know enough about the law to give legal advice.We have pinball manufacturers who have never built a machine.We have financial advisers who can tell you what you should have done with your money.We have fortune tellers who know what the future holds.We have pinball designers who never even shopped out a game.We have business analysts who have never owned a business.
Should be plenty more for them to talk about for a while.......

Welcome to the internet, hope your first day is going well.

#14314 8 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

I lost a deposit on Predator, so yes, this does concern me a bit because it's the second time this has happened recently.
Sure, I didn't put money down on Theatre of Magic II and whatnot but I did on Predator so I am fully aware, I just chose to put the small deposit down.
I am not pissing on anyone. My post is just so people realize they need to learn their lessons about all of the non Stern places. They essentially are funding stuff based on almost a Ponzi scheme and everyone is drinking the Kool-Aid.
I can handle a small deposit, but no way I am handing off thousands unless they game is done, so consider my post a wake up call for people to make stronger safeguards for people trying to take in wild deposits for 2+ years of no pinball.

Your post seems like you haven't read any of the thread and just jumped in to state the obvious. It's annoying.

#14318 8 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

I still don't understand why everyone jumps to hand over wallets for pinballs that don't even come out. Predator and now this? Really?

Sorry, I meant to quote this post in my previous post. I can understand people getting annoyed by this, it's not adding anything and has been obvious for a long time. Then we need to go through the next 8 posts explaining why people don't like it and you defending yourself.

#14324 8 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

If I was stating the "obvious" then people would stop throwing all their money at pre-orders and we would have some better recourse about it....sure doesn't look "obvious" to me if people keep doing it.

Do people keep doing it, or are you talking about something that happened years ago? Most people stopped paying into these projects in 2014 or earlier. The most recent pre-order has been Alien as far as I can tell, and all pre-orders have been basically shut down since the collapse of the boutiques. So now you are stating the obvious in hindsight.

#14337 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

In any event, I believe there are plans to spend some dev dollars on both mechanical and software to finish the game. But development costs are separate from BOM costs. For specifics, you'd have to ask Bill. It's not my place to speak for Pintasia. But Bill is an extremely smart businessman and knows more work needs to be done to ship the game and knowing that wasnt out.

I'm pretty sure everybody agrees that if Bill wants to spend his own money developing this game for the next couple years, all the power to him. That'd be great. I don't think anybody believes that's what the plan is.

Edit: Extremely smart business men lose money all the time. Especially if it isn't theirs.

#14341 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Belief isn't reality. So it doesn't really matter what people believe. But if people want to know what is happening they should contact Bill.

I know another businessman who loved to do all his dealings behind closed doors one on one. I don't know of many honest businesses that run that way. Why would Bill not be able to say publicly what is happening?

#14378 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

3-4 years ago, John sold a game called MG to be built sometime circa 2013. Said game was limited to 13 copies making it uber rare, later he upped the number to 26 copies. He charged $16k for this limited edition game.
A short time later he sold another games called BHZA in slightly higher numbers 99 later increased to 124, at a price of $10k. Later the theme and title of the game was changed to RAZA, this was also supposed to be completed around 2013.
Later John added another game AIW to be completed, accepted deposits and payments on that too.
All during this time, John kept everything as hidden as possible, said he was working super hard and the pins were going go be great.
Also during this time, John made a Kiss pin which he had no license for, did not collect any deposits for, so he used all the other money collected to fund this game.
John from time to time would show a few bits and pieces of the game, but never anything as finished as a white wood or even a basic alpha prototype.
Many customers began to get worried or frustrated when 2013 came and went and no games were delivered, ditto 2014. To dissuade people from seeking legal means of getting refunds from John for breach of contract, failure to deliver. John had people post that they'd been to his workshop and the games were comming along well and were worth waiting for.
When this began to wear thin, John promised that at the 2014 Expo in October he would do a big reveal. Then at that expo John brought two totally empty cabinets. People freaked out.
So John promised he'd have real prototype reveals in Dec 2014 and January 2015 for MG and RAZA respectively. Predictably John showed nothing whatsoever.
People like myself said John was bluffing and he had nothing to show, while people like PDXmonkey said there were 95% complete prototypes and he'd played them and all was well, just taking longer than expected.
More time goes by, presumably dozens of people demand refund and/or start legal proceedings against John, John says he's working 14 hrs a day 7 days a week and is tired or perplexed that he's also getting hundreds of emails or texts or phone calls a day regarding the lack of progress. But things are still good.
Then maybe 3-4 weeks ago, John posts a letter saying he's completely broke, no one will get a refund and he's allowing an outside entity (shell) assume production of MG and that they can only proceed if you all (owners) agree not to sue anyone and any owners of RAZA and AIW should forget that, but can now get a MG for $16k (less what you have paid towards RAZA or AIW or MG) and that MG will no longer be a super rare game of 26 units but perhapse 199 and then an unlimited number after that.
People rush out an unfinished alpha prototype of MG to the NW show that has most features disabled, that is broken down most of the time at the show, that no one is able to even make a ramp shot except with glass off by hand, that has a laminate playfield that is totally warped or not stuck down properly.
I think that's this whole thread in a nutshell. Insiders like PDXMONKEY please correct anything I missed or was untruthful about.

You missed the part where it was discovered that pintasia's financial manager is known to be involved in ponzi schemes, even up to about a month ago. I feel this is pretty important.

#14387 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Meet me at Expo for a mano a mono drinking contest. I'll have whiskey and you can have your usual umbrella drink.

LoLed at the gauntlet being thrown down with a clever slight to the manhood. Well played, sir.

#14508 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I don't think the finger pointing is really doing much but making people feel better. That said, PDXMonkey is pretty quiet now.
Anyway, I want to hear about next steps. What's the plan now? Is Pintasia still going to try and get MG made? Some actual news would be nice.

I agree, it's not usual for people to institute radio silence so early in a project. Normally they do that after they get your preorder money! I am still waiting to hear where all 3 prototypes are, that's what I'm most curious about.

#14517 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I still contend the best way forward with all of this is to let it die.

I agree, even if somebody picks it up to run with it, how much trouble will John be in the future? Will he start trying to sue if you make it successful?

I think it would be reasonable for the cabs and playfields to be auctioned off to people who want to build a custom game themselves (same with Raza). Even the code could be provided as open source to finish and customize. Efforts are better spent elsewhere than trying to resuscitate this project. I think this could come out of the bankruptcy proceedings anyway.

#14520 8 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I doubt if Bill will post any more info here. He must feel every time he opens his mouth he gets the equivalent of an extendedprostate exam.
He'll probably just talk in the private "owners" group and avoid us rubberneckers and armchair QB's... those guys in the group have actually lost real money so it seems fair to me.

That is a strange way to try to sell 199 machines. It is only uncomfortable for him to post here because he has no answers or evasive ones about the important questions.

#14523 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

This was possible, John was just not the guy who could drive it, and that was something folks did not realize or do the due diligence on. The wanted to believe, and you know, that is not necessarily a bad thing, even if it has turned out poorly.

I think in the beginning most people had a sense that some boutiques would sink and some would swim, it was inevitable. Through all the pain of lost money, at least we gave Spooky the ability to show they could swim. It was just a painful process to find out. John's project is tougher than the others because he managed to make it encompass 3 expensive projects and hit the same people multiple times in some cases.

We definitely need to keep on top of the other new guys and make sure they are on target. TBL should be watched closely, given the warnings we were given by Phil. I haven't kept up with TBL and where it stands, but we should be clamoring for gameplay videos etc. at this point and a specific status report including the exact items holding up the project.

I am pretty confident with Heighway, partly because Aurich is on the inside and he is a straight shooter.

#14530 8 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

As I said: I really really want it to become a reality, but I also know how much money everything costs and if you get a lot of pre-payments at first the Sky is the Limit. Until it is all gone...

Yeah, Phil knew that they weren't taking working with the licensors seriously, warned us the guys were just living the rock star lifestyle without giving 2 shits about their responsibilities. They seemed to get their act together after that bombshell, but who has been watching them lately? Roger Sharpe? Anyway this is kinda derailing so should probably stick to JPop games here, but you know... concerns about this sort of thing permeate all boutique projects.

#14584 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Soon as Zidware floats the bill for STI.

You know damn well zidware isn't floating the bill for anything. You realize it had been speculated before the show that the 3 prototypes would end up with pdxmonkey, bill and jpop? Still waiting to hear where they all are. And proof positive that getting it to the show wasn't just a scam to jack the machines.

#14591 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Game isn't in my possessionI don't have it.

Where are the 3 games?

#14599 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

So does Bill, Jpop, and several other owners too.
As bad as you want it to be it's not a conspiracy
Btw the one at the show was not one of the three.Those three are still at Zidware as far as I know.

It's this stupid coy bullsh*t that propegate these "conspiracy theories" so just say it and be done with it. Where is the pin?

#14604 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

So does Bill, Jpop, and several other owners too.
As bad as you want it to be it's not a conspiracy
Btw the one at the show was not one of the three.Those three are still at Zidware as far as I know.

In fact, I'm so sick of this priveledged behind the scenes crap. You've been doing this "I know something you don't know" thing for months. Well you did know something we didn't know, for years. That the machines were a disaster and the whole thing was a scam. People counted on those who were allowed in the shop to be doing due diligence and have a real idea what was happening in there, and the damn games didn't even have ramps after 4 years. Yet it was okay to let everybody believe everything was going swimmingly.

I'll start trusting you and Brandes and whoever else is in your crew once they start talking instead of lurking off into the shadows and keeping silent.

#14608 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

say what?? So now there are four not three prototypes? hmm, I do recall talk of more than three ramp sets being made, but this is the first I recall hearing there are four prototypes in varies stages of construction.

From the sounds of it, there is a lot we don't know. And certain people are going to benefit from that.

#14613 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I here you Chris but I don't think the Pinball Hall of Fame is any place for this disaster although I get that sentiment too. Maybe a Hall of Shame
Think how epic it would be if we all took it out to the desert, brought a bbq grill, beer, cigars etc and lit that thing up "burning man" style.
We would have one of the greatest pinball videos in history! I want to destroy something here, like John did

Even better, turn it into a fully functioning grill for the event.

#14617 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

When fattrain fails to deliver the shirt, I'll bail the project out.

Make sure you take the prototype shirt to Canada for development.

#14629 8 years ago

Haha, so Pintasia foots the bill to get it to a show for their own business purposes, but then says John will get it back when he pays the STI bill himself, even though having the machine attend the show was not for Zidware business. What kind of dog and pony show is this? It just doesn't even make sense at this point what you guys are up to. That's why people are digging at you and asking questions. Because a machine (one of four? I think?) that represents $1M of pre-order money went missing and a bunch of sly foxes won't say where it is. They won't say what they're doing with it. They say Zidware is dead and JPop is a bad guy so why give it back to him. Pintasia has stated that they are not taking this pin into production, so which "volunteer" now has the right to work on it? Until the assets are legally sorted out, you all look like pirates burying booty.

#14632 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You asking that game gets sent back means nothing.
Zidware hasn't asked yet neither has the court those on the other hand matter.

Oh never mind, you are pirates burying booty. My mistake, saying none of this makes sense. It's exactly what it looks like.

#14635 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The 3 MG's seen in the Adobe video were mockups to look good on camera (more BS smoke & mirrors) So scratch those off your list.
If MG was that incomplete, there's probably only 1 prototype, at least in anything resembling a playable condition.

Probably true, but the mockups have subjective value for certain people. This is another thing pdxmonkey would easily be able to clear up, since he would know exactly what they are (and could have revealed ages ago).

#14645 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Rob - this isn't worth fighting with PDX over, is it? And why would he know the answers and why does he own them to you, personally? John asked me to put him in touch with Michelle at sTI/NAVL, they talked and he has a quote, and he intends to use that company to get it back to Illinois. The speculation, finger-pointing and accusations over stuff is crazy - you have nothing to base it on!?

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You asking that game gets sent back means nothing.
Zidware hasn't asked yet neither has the court those on the other hand matter.

#14660 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Why are folks expecting to hear about ZIdware assets? WHere they are, how many proto cabs or PF, etc.?

Because in order to have an equitable distribution of the assets paid for by pre-order money people need to know what exists and where it is. We are grilling the people who KNOW these things because if we don't get answers, people who are behind the scenes can start shifting assets around like in pretty much every shady business exit ever.

They do this by building a veil around the company and basically moving either physical or monetary assets under cover. One example of this would be: say I had a pinball machine and wanted it not to be taken in the bankruptcy and sold. I want it to be in the hands of "my own guys." These guys could cut a deal with the company that is about to fold, pay under the table and obtain temporary possession of the item, but in my contract it would stipulate that returning the item is subject to the original company paying to have it shipped back. However, said original company decides they don't have the money or resources to ship it back so they say "oh well, i'll just break the contract. Keep the item, I don't care."

That is the type of situation where possession is 9/10 of the law. After suing JPop and finding out his company doesn't even own its own MG prototype anymore because it breached a contract and lost the machine, people will not be able to sue the new entity.

So yeah, knowing the exact deal that Pintasia made with John is important (and that deal has been mysterious from the start) and so is knowing the exact location of the game.

And now we can't know the location for "security purposes." What a joke. You sound like the government, and they are crooks.

#14670 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

If courts allowed it, I would pay money to hear the court cases coming up just to see what John's defense is. Maybe someone could press record on their phone, put it in their pocket and forget they left the app open.

Funny thing is, in an e-mail to me John called Stern thieves.

#14671 8 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

because if we don't get answers, people who are behind the scenes can start shifting assets around like in pretty much every shady business exit ever.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention according to court documents, Sabrina Wei's forte is shifting assets out of dying companies.

#14716 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I know who has the game and I won't say who. But I will say why. I refuse to tell anyone because we don't need emotional folks that lost their money trying to come steal it. As for why someone has the game, it was for analysis of the software task to complete it. No one here needs to know more about the whereabouts of the game. As long as jpop is ok with where it's at, it's no one else's concern.
And for anyone that thinks they have part ownership in the game because they paid for *a* game I can only say that you don't. You didn't buy stock in Jpop's company and assets. You bought a promise of making and shipping you a completed game. That gives you no rights to the rest of the company assets. Sure you can sue to get to get something, but then jpop will just sell his assets to cover legal fees. In this regard, we are all screwed.

There are many reasons why pre-orderers have a claim to the company's assets. John Popadiuk has a fiduciary duty to his customers to be using his company assets to fulfill their orders, not to put his assets at the disposal of another company with no responsibility to his existing customers. If he is found guilty of breaching his fiduciary duty (which i think there is a good chance of in many ways), each person has a claim to the amount they lost. Secondly, if he has obtained money to finance these assets by fraud, those who are defrauded have a claim on the value of their deposits.

The game itself is seemingly the only thing of real value in the entire business. The business currently has a lawsuit filed against it. Not only that, but if he should give away the game to another person he would have divested himself of the asset AFTER publicly declaring Zidware was insolvent. So if you think creditors DON'T have a claim on the company's assets, you are wrong. This game and all of the company's IP belongs to the creditors of Zidware basically the second John admitted publicly to being insolvent. So maybe the asset would be seized, or maybe John would be on the hook personally for the value of the asset to be paid back into the company.

At least, that is my understanding. IANAL.

#14717 8 years ago

Think of John as going through a messy divorce, only to the customers who turned on him to sue him. He says "well they're not getting a damn penny!" and starts looting or hiding assets of the company. You can't do that, it's illegal.

#14719 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

And wheres that kiss proto at.

Basically people should start GPS chipping all of the Zidware pins. And I'm not even joking. The KISS foamcore could be worth a lot of money too, that's the funny thing about this hobby. There might be enough infamy in that shop to get a lot of money back for creditors at auction.

#14728 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I'd agree the prototype would be the most valuable thing at auction by a long shot.
Original pinball IP can have value if it's earned it (BBB, AFM, MM, ToM) but MG has no nostalgia, no cache - it's just a generic concept plastered on a failed pinball machine of which zero were produced. RAZA has less than no value - the Mars Attacks, Robbie and Godzilla imagery make it a liability. AIW is an interpretation of a public domain book. Point is - there will be no windfall for creditors from any sale of Zidware IP.

I agree with you except that MG IP could go to virtual pinball.

#14735 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Agreed. All this would be true once a lawsuit gets to the point of locking assets. Unfortunately at this moment, none of it applies. John could sell any of his assets right now and claim he did so to help move forward in his project or to pay his debts. One of his debts is to pay his lawyers to defend himself in this very lawsuit. I'm sure everyone can sue Zidware out of business. But no one will get anything significantly financially.
And your response is further evidence of why the party holding the game wishes not to disclose himself.

Sounds like you have the plan in motion to successfully raid the corp. congrats. Nice to have Sabrina on the team? I would still contend that johns company requires the magic girl pin to maintain the facade of acting in the interest of his customers. If he loses the asset necessary to fulfill his obligations it will prove he is not acting in the best interests of his customers and will seal his fate for breach of fiduciary duty. Losing his means of production to defend himself in a lawsuit when the company will not be able to recover is not acting in the interests of his buyers and is therefore a breach of his fiduciary duty to them.

#14739 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Funny thing about those patents,
They're registered to John not Zidware. The lawyer worked for free too and filed them himself.
How does that work if Zidware is bankrupt?

I'm guessing Zidware paid a lot of money to John for the "privilege" of being able to use his patents for development of their prototype. However if he developed the patents while being paid a salary by Zidware, and using materials in the Zidware shop, there could easily be a claim on them by creditors.
Edit: not to mention they would have a claim on all the fees paid to John for the patents that should rightfully be Zidware patents.

I'm sensing from your smugness that you take pleasure in thinking John is a genius for swindling everybody and you think he's so smart he's going to get away with it. If I were you I wouldn't be so sure about these guys. I'd be careful about being involved, actually, lawsuits have a way of spreading to anybody nearby.

#14745 8 years ago

I dunno, I've posted way too much in this thread and people are probably sick of me. Here is what it appears happened based on these posts, but obviously I could be wrong. I'm not stating that any of this definitely happened. But what COULD have happened or end up happening, given the lack of oversight.

Designs made for MG and Raza, Zidware created to take pre-order money.
John created unnecessary patents, putting as many custom designed things in the pinball machine to reasonably charge huge fees for the patent use. Zidware pays large amounts of money to John out of all 3 pre-order pots.
John draws a salary.
Draws down all the money in the Zidware account (less some to pay vendors) into his personal account, roughly 2013 when he admits he stopped paying himself.
Stopped working on the games after all the money was sucked out of Zidware.
Engaged multiple siloed contractors to maintain a facade of work being done on the machine. The contractors did work, but John didn't worry about it much, he knew the company would fold.
Knew the pin wouldn't go into production so why pay contractors? He already "legally" drew the money out of the company.
Maintains the facade of staying in business to collect additional AIW deposits and any final payments from MG and RAZA.
Accomplices report "starry eyed" reviews after going to the shop to keep deposit money coming in.
Once these deposits dry up, it's time to shut down the company. Announces that with no more pre-order dollars the company will go bankrupt.
Gets legitimately spooked by lawsuits filed, and attempts a last minute divestment from his responsibilities. Threatens that people who sue will get "nothing."
Sets up deal with Pintasia to transfer assets out of Zidware (prototype and? IP? We have heard conflicting stories of what Pintasia owns)
Pintasia (while still anonymous) makes an offer to save people and produce the machines if they commit to paying more money and sign a no-sue agreement. (To keep the pre-order scheme going for 2-4 more years all over again)
No-sue agreement important so assets can be moved and will not be frozen.
Extreme pressure tactics used to frighten people into signing the agreements. The attempts fail.
Pintasia to keep John on as a "contractor" in the new pre-order scheme (this would ensure John gets a cut of the new pre-order $)
MG taken to NW pinball show to see if new pre-order $ can be made if people get excited about the new team.
Show fails to produce pre-orders, so Pintasia axes the idea.
MG is moved to a hidden location, a deal has been cut to give the machine to Pintasia, or at least they know JPop will not sue for its return.
Pintasia appropriates MG and other Zidware assets, leaving nothing for the creditors.
Zidware is left empty shell, while Pintasia shops MG IP and pays John a consulting fee for his efforts.

Some of you will think these things are believable, and some of you will not. There is a lot of evidence that right from day 1 this project was set up to drain pre-order dollars into a personal account, then bankrupt the company. There is a lot of evidence that Pintasia could have had the same idea and failed thanks to intense scrutiny. One thing is for certain, the assets need to be fully accounted for. A forensic audit is necessary to show that John Popadiuk was acting in the best interest of his clients. If he was found in breach of fiduciary duty, he would be responsible personally (not as a corporation, but as a director of that corporation) to provide restitution to those whose interests he was duty bound to protect. That restitution is by law usually the monetary amount they have lost because of the crime. If these things were to happen, the buyers would have to find him personally liable to access the funds at this point. I think they exist. There is a good chance JPop was Zidware's single biggest expense, which would mean the money is still around.

Sorry to end on a wall of text, but I guess that's just my style. I'm going to take a step back and let other people discuss the issue for a while, as I have way too many posts here. But hopefully you will understand it is out of passion, and I mean well.

#14877 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Seriously, someone is going to break into a house/office and steal that pin?
Why would anybody want to waste more time trying to complete the software on a pin that will never get built?
"As long as Jpop is ok with it, its no one else's concern?" Huh?
I guess the bizarre factor with this whole project will never end.

Why would anybody want to complete the software for a game they are giving back to JPop?

#14926 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

John may be able to generate some income by reading all of our commentary.

Morgan Freeman should read all of our commentary and record this as a book on tape.

#15017 8 years ago

He has committed crimes, make a criminal complaint that he breached his fiduciary duty to zidware customers and let law enforcement worry about whether he is going to jail or not. Do not listen to the people who have a jaded opinion and think there is no hope. Victims do this all the time. If it appears crimes have been committed, report them.

He may go to jail and he may not. But not reporting this as a crime is a mistake. Every single customer should fill out a criminal complaint, it doesn't take much effort.

#15053 8 years ago

When you take in a large amount of money for any company or service or any business purpose you have a fiduciary duty to those who paid it to you to handle the money responsibly or put professionals in place to do it for you. It is not a case where you handed your money over so if it disappears its your own fault. That is not correct and the way john has run his business after collecting the money is absolutely a crime. He is not absolved of his duty to produce the product and manage the company in a financially responsible way after you hand over your money. On this, you are simply wrong, aurich.

#15493 8 years ago

For all of you wondering if he owes backtaxes, Zidware would not have reported any revenues as no product was ever delivered. Your cash received would have gone into an unearned revenue account (a liability) and zidware's losses would go to offset John's personal salary when he pays his income tax. In short, I doubt he pays much, if any tax.

Once he shipped the games, he would owe all of the taxes once the revenue is realized above his tax loss carry forward.

For an example, the accounting entries go like this for a sale of magic girl:
2011 Debit Cash: 16,000
2011 Credit Unearned Revenue liability: (16,000)
2011 Cost of overhead: 4000
2011 business loss reported: 4000

2015 Ship magic girl: Debit unearned revenues liability 16,000
2015 Credit revenues (16,000)

Of course there are a bunch more entries like cost of goods sold etc. involved, but the basic principle is that if the games ever shipped he would report the revenues all at the date of shipping. So you don't end up paying taxes until you overcome the losses of previous years, because they are carried forward.

Likely John has racked up a fairly large Salary liability from Zidware since he says he hasn't been paid since Nov. 2014. The value of this he can claim half of as a business investment loss against his personal income, as of the date it was deemed doubtful. So personally he will not pay a lot of tax either, and depending on how much he claims Zidware owes him, he could get out of paying any tax at all.

#15494 8 years ago

And P.S. buyers should all become claimants as part of the involuntary bankruptcy action to be prioritized as highly as possible during the bankruptcy, and you definitely want to be above John's salary liability.

#15495 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Sure.. lets go back to the pitchfork crew dreaming they are going to raid the shop, grab the prototype like pirates and tear it into 200 equal shares

Where is the prototype?

#15571 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Has anyone asked why you give 500 to this lawyer guy as well as 25% of any recovery? If john goes into chapter 7 there would be a judge or court appointed trustee to make sure, given the exact same circumstances, everyone has time to submit what they paid in and all (if any) recovered would be pro rata back anyway.

It would be years before John decides to go into voluntary bankruptcy, if ever.

#15596 8 years ago

Anybody know where the MG prototype is?

#15696 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So what if one of his staff members had some sort of legal issue (honestly, none of us are privy to the details of what was going on), I see no reason to drag that lady through the mud on allegations

Actually, some of us took the 20 minutes out of our day it took to become privy to all the details of exactly what type of legal issues his staff member was/is involved in. If you choose to remain ignorant of the facts, you can't claim that everybody else is ignorant too simply because you didn't take the time to verify.

#15697 8 years ago

In fact, I can't believe some people are so bad they would actually flat out say they would hand thousands of dollars to a known ponzi schemer, and not see anything wrong with that. Mind boggling, but at some point you just have to laugh.

#15761 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

One of the owners had the foresight to specifically purchase the prototype. He has a bill of sale for the prototype game and a receipt for payment in full.
In my opinion that game belongs to him and not John. I would like to see the game go to its rightful owner and not on the auction block or disappear into some collectors basement.

Surprise surprise. And I got called a conspiracy theorist for saying that would happen. Where is the prototype?

#15762 8 years ago

I notice you say they got a bill of sale. That is convenient because they could easily ship it across the border to Canada now.

#15767 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Actually I believe all 4 proto types had been reserved and bought although one might have had Johns name on it, can't remember. Why is this a surprise? They were numbered and sold by John to obviously bring in more money.... big conspiracy.

Because they weren't offered to the public to make the maximum profit, which indicates it was a back-room deal as a favor to friends. With no concern for the value it has to his creditors. After he declared himself insolvent. Yes, it is a conspiracy when people "conspire" behind closed doors to make deals that benefit each other during an effective bankruptcy. Yes, it will be up to the courts, but that doesn't take away the fact that the jackals have been looting the place behind closed doors. While being praised as saviors. Laughable.

#15770 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

One of the owners had the foresight to specifically purchase the prototype

And this. So arrogant. "Had the foresight"? You think half the people who paid into this didn't want to get their hands on that prototype? What drug are you smoking? Let me guess, it's somebody who you think is a super awesome and nice business man, so he "deserves it" more than everybody else.

#15771 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I think you are misunderstanding.. my read is that the prototypes were also pre ordered from John years ago; not just now in a back room deal.

Oh, well if we are talking years ago I apologize. My statements are if the prototypes were sold since late 2014 when we all knew this was going under.

#15805 8 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I didn't realize you were a lawyer and qualified to give legal advice here. I mean if you are going to be the judge I guess you can save us all a lot of time and money. Would you mind calling Zane Smith and explaining the futility of his legal case? Then all victims can turn to you here. I guess "lay down and take it" is at the top of your agenda? No consequences for anyone involved? There are a lot of conditions in that contract and since you are the expert on its contents you already know he promised to make them himself. But your advice, again, is lay down and take it, drop all legal action, oh and try to be nicer to john Popadiuk ?

It is undeniable that he offered refunds that he refused to honor. There are dozens of reasons people could successfully sue him, but that is one glaringly obvious one. All the people spouting about futility have no clue.

#15815 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The best thing that can happen out of the civil actions is uncovering potential impropriety stuff that could further expose jpop's liability. But claims like "he spent my RAZA money on MG" or "he took orders knowing he wasn't going to build it himself" aren't going to go very far.

You are not going to stop anybody from litigating, why are you arguing?

#15819 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I can't convince people the world is round either... doesn't mean if they post in a discussion forum the world is flat I don't have the equal opportunity to say otherwise.
Maybe you could start a list of criminal activities Jpop has committed on an anonymous posting site and link it here to keep things fueled?

You do not advance your point, and this is already a 16k post thread, people have asked you to take a break from this argument. I'm just asking why you have to convince this one person so badly that JPop is innocent of any criminal wrongdoing when every person reading knows you have no clue about that. For a fact.

#15869 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Oh but I know.. facts... facts??!! hide your eyes! yet another example of emotion over facts. The new motto of a thread in flames... burn the books! Listen to the instigators, not the rational. Please return to your normal flailing.

You have a skewed perspective of your arguments. You think people are just emotional and can't handle hearing the "truth" from you. The readership of this thread conists of (for the most part) very educated people who, when someone makes a good point but people have differing opinions will yield about half thumbs up and half thumbs down etc. sometimes more thumbs up than down.

Your posts are yielding like 20 thumbs down and no thumbs up because your points are not being effectively made, and your "facts" are, for the most part, actually negative opinion backed by extremely questionable logic. People have stopped debating specific points with you because if you go back and read your most recent posts, 90% of them don't actually make much in the way of coherent points or concrete facts to even argue. People just flat out disagree with your opinions.

#15883 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Lets keep the focus on the real problem here, everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are more than just a few here that want their opinions to be facts. No sense on turning on each other. I think fantasygoat is saying what I'm saying and its a very good point

Sabrina Wei:
1998 - International Heritage Inc (Class action suits - Ponzi scheme faced action by SEC)
http://google.brand.edgar-online.com/EFX_dll/EDGARpro.dll?FetchFilingHtmlSection1?SectionID=841777-14013-30963&SessionID=JjSEF6MVEdJgOT7

2002 - Worked with Al Petty of Telecom 2000. $3.5M in cheques go missing, Sabrina and Al move to Canada.
https://casetext.com/case/in-re-certain-assets-of-petty

2015 Worked for DFRF Enterprises, Canada issues investment fraud warning, (RICO case filed in Massachussetts)
http://behindmlm.com/companies/canada-issues-dfrf-enterprises-investment-fraud-warning/

Sabrina Wei, 2015: Hired by Pintasia to manage the money. These are facts. Not opinions. Don't play innocent, trying to be cute about your part in this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

260 posts in this topic match your search for posts by ykpinballer. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ykpinballer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/1?tu=ykpinballer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.