(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 179 of 487.
#8901 4 years ago

You have got to have the the curvy ramps to slow the ball so it doesn't blow out the end of the ramps especially with a long straight down run. Using criss-cross ramps does the same thing taking away ball velocity so that at the end it doesn't cause great harm to the ramp ends.

Sometimes an end of ramp foam bumper is still required to save the ramp and reduce the ball drop power that will drill a playfield hole.

#8902 4 years ago

I'm pretty confident that this game never gets made

#8903 4 years ago

There doesn't seem to be much for targets and such to hit at. Sure, plenty of gizmos, toys & rampage, but what's there to do? What is there to shoot at? Sure, it's just one picture, but I can only count a total of 2 small standup targets.

The back 1/3rd of the playfield's going to to be hard to track the ball since it's high-rise condos for silverball city. May look nice, but I would like to know where the ball is going.

#8904 4 years ago

I'm sorry, but when I look at that pic with the paper ramps I can't help but think of Popeye.

Unfortunately I'm being entirely serious.

#8905 4 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

I'm sorry, but when I look at that pic with the paper ramps I can't help but think of Popeye.

boom.jpg

#8906 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I'm pretty confident that this game never gets made

crazy.jpg

#8907 4 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Using criss-cross ramps does the same thing taking away ball velocity so that at the end it doesn't cause great harm to the ramp ends.

ಠ_ಠ

I see what you did there

#8908 4 years ago

As soon as a good playfield picture was posted, the negative criticism started right away. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's based on an incomplete machine. The majority of the posts following the big playfield picture are negative, makes John get all sensitive and cry, we can't have any of that ......

#8909 4 years ago

I think its too early to say it looks cluttered with the paper ramps. The final parts should either be clear plastic or wireform and the sides of the spiral wont need to be as high. Being able to see through them will make a huge difference.

Will it ever get made? Hell if I know! Being unbiased, its refreshing to see something other than a few fan ramps and a center bash target.

#8910 4 years ago

Posting pics doesn't remove John from the Pinball POS list. He needs to stop posting pics and pick up a phone and talk to the people wanting to know what the f*ck is happening with these projects.

Pics are worth a thousand words but not 1.8 million dollars.

#8911 4 years ago

you know it's funny, john's claim to fame is "I don't just slap ramps on top of a playfield, I start with the theme first, then backglass art, and then I can start laying out my playfield". I get it, it has the potential to make the design much more cohesive and interactive as a story. However, without a completed project he needs to eat his words. Imagine if every other pinball company out there made statements like "you know, we don't noodle over artwork for 4 years. we design a pinball, we test it, and we manufacture them and ship them to customers, and we keep in touch with our customers during the entire process"

#8912 4 years ago

Have you guys seen Wooly? That pin was fully operational, with code and such, was build-able for $8000 (still high) but as Ben will tell you building a batch of 150 pins costs more for BOM.

And Wolly was making the rounds at shows. I don't say Wolly was for everyone, but just ask yourself why can Riot guys make a flipping machine and John can't in 4 years of trying and over of $1M in his coffers?

Here it was and it didn't take $1M of customer money, same goes with AMH thanks Ben (and guys from Riot) for showing how it's done.

Making pins is hard but it's not impossible like John seems to be trying to prove.

image.jpg

#8913 4 years ago

In pinball you either need to be a classic designer or have a desirable license to get money thrown at you.

If you have neither (like Wooly or AMH) then you've actually got to build a good game with deep rules to get any intetest, and even then it takes a while.

Who works harder? A guy with nothing to prove, or someone with everything to prove?

#8914 4 years ago

Yea, but who got a million bucks of folks money and who doesn't..

#8915 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

In pinball you either need to be a classic designer or have a desirable license to get money thrown at you.
If you have neither (like Wooly or AMH) then you've actually got to build a good game with deep rules to get any intetest, and even then it takes a while.
Who works harder? A guy with nothing to prove, or someone with everything to prove?

The only big show I went to last year was Southern Fried Gaming Expo and I saw neither AMH or Wooly. Seeing/Flipping one might of made me a buyer. Obviously for AMH it doesnt matter since its sold out but Wooly might of made their deposit goal if they were at SFGE.

#8916 4 years ago

Something tells me John is probably incredulous to all the negative feedback he's been getting from not being able to complete or deliver games. Probably doesn't understand what everyone's problem is, how could they not appreciate the hinge or painted air vents.

I also suspect the reason he hasn't made a deal with any investors is he greatly overvalues the work he has done so far (and has been paid for since he drew a salary from our money). So he got paid once, and then wants another payout.

Meanwhile, all of us that sent money in have zero to show for it.

#8917 4 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Unfortunately I'm being entirely serious.

You're not the only one...

Quoted from Cheeks:

This seems like a classic case of over-engineering something to live up to his "cool, innovative ramp and magnet guy" reputation at the expense of the game. If I wanted to see that little of what I can shoot on the upper playfield, I'd get a P2K or a Popeye.

#8918 4 years ago

As a guy with no money down and could care less if this is ever made i love the Artwork on the game. Seems like you guys are helping John fulfill his dream. Unfortunate that it ends badly.

#8919 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

few points
I don't like the speakers in the back glass, it messes up the art which should be unbroken like a painting.
I think he's worried about things like the hinges and how nice the back of the game looks, at the expense of actually building the most important thing, the actual game.
I think those leg bolts (spikes) is a stupid idea. I know he says you can or can not use them, but IMO just a ridiculous idea. What's next razor blades?
I think John has lost his mind a long time ago, and it just became apparent to the world in the last year. For a while I think people were assuming that the games were just delayed, like The Hobbit for example. But it was starting to dawn on me that all his little reveals weren't adding up to a full game, and when he showed up at Expo without a prototype that just sealed the deal in my mind that he wasn't just delayed, but rather he was stuck in the planning stages.

spikes are used on high end speakers for use on carpet. and from having games on squishy carpet before i've considered using some sort of spikes to anchor them better and keep them from moving around. I'm not defending anything else here besides the spike idea

-c

#8920 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

spikes are used on high end speakers for use on carpet. and from having games on squishy carpet before i've considered using some sort of spikes to anchor them better and keep them from moving around. I'm not defending anything else here besides the spike idea
-c

These spikes are in place of leg bolts, so they can cause great harm if you get too close.

#8921 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

These spikes are in place of leg bolts, so they can cause great harm if you get too close.

oohh, ok. that's pretty much useless.

-c

#8922 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

-c

The spikes are the leg bolts. They put a hole in your leg when you nudge (to remind you of all the pain in this project).

Edit- Found a pic (imagine accidentally bumping those suckers):

405701.jpg
#8923 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

The spikes are the leg bolts. They put a hole in your leg when you nudge (to remind you of all the pain in this project).

405701.jpg

Comes with a warning sticker

image.jpg

#8924 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

405701.jpg

I can't imagine the joy of moving that game around on a penguin cart from out of a tight row of games or through a crowd at a show. There's something about just going with bog standard for leg bolts that's appealing.

-c

#8925 4 years ago

image.jpg

#8926 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

The only big show I went to last year was Southern Fried Gaming Expo and I saw neither AMH or Wooly. Seeing/Flipping one might of made me a buyer. Obviously for AMH it doesnt matter since its sold out but Wooly might of made their deposit goal if they were at SFGE.

Its costs. Sell one or two games spend $2-3000 in cost to show it. Take off work.
I think one of the most amazing parts, riot is working a full time job. They were working on this in there free time.

Making pinball is no cash cow unless you mass produce and cut corners. (the stern model). Its hard work and love. As we are learning with John its also follow through and meeting goals.

When you cant get numbers your BOM starts to climb quick. Also the availability of hard to find parts. With low numbers its harder to spur manufactures into producing out of stock parts.

So with less profit margin we are asking these guys to travel the country for 100 sales total in the end. The math does not work.
Look at it like craft beer. Be proud supporter of "little guy" pinball. Travel to meet the brewmaster. Learn about the owners and there dreams and goals. Tell all your friends about the brew, share it with others. It takes investment from us if we want to see this movement kick off. Travel, pick up a phone. On the other side your going to find a guy passionate about what he is doing. Doing it in free time making nothing hoping to see there creation come to life to maybe make pennies. Support RIOT and SPOOKY's hard work proving what can be done if your....disciplined and meet goals. Did I just call Ben disciplined? :-p

#8927 4 years ago

@pinballnut3, i feel you. I went to Southern Fried Gaming Expo to support their inaugural event and also supported their kickstarter. This was a great event and if Wooly was there my dad/brother could of played it with me. I also went to PAPA earlier this year, and maybe the game / code could of been tweaked and put in a qualifying bank etc.. I don't know the tour the game took but if it didnt make it to Free Play Florida, I imagine it never made it to anywhere in the Southeast US?

#8928 4 years ago

pinballnut3 hits the nail on the head. Each show you go to eats up multiple games worth of profit, not to mention time.

#8929 4 years ago

Yea, i just live in Southeast where we have shows and didnt see the pin. Shame on me..

#8930 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

The only big show I went to last year was Southern Fried Gaming Expo and I saw neither AMH or Wooly.

Wooly has only been at Expo and Allentown. Scott does not believe having it at shows will create enough demand to justify the time and expense. Ideally, if he (and same for Spooky), could find a buyer who is open to taking it to a show in their area, maybe for some form of a discount on the purchase, that would get it more visibility without the expense. Right now, Wooly does not have sufficient buyers to move forward, but I know Scott has not given up on that yet.

#8931 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Yea, i just live in Southeast where we have shows and didnt see the pin. Shame on me..

AMH was @ Freeplay this year but Wooly was not

#8932 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

pinballnut3 hits the nail on the head. Each show you go to eats up multiple games worth of profit, not to mention time.

People have to remember what a small business these start-ups are. Literally bootstrapping it.

Except of course the crowd funded ones like Predator, but we know how that went.

#8933 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

405701.jpg

Wow.. Imagine if this game actually got built and somebody's kid got their eye poked out with one of those. Great harm and great lawsuits all around.

#8934 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Wow.. Imagine if this game actually got built and somebody's kid got their eye poked out with one of those. Great harm and great lawsuits all around.

Look around your room. You should see half a dozen things from pens to table corners capable of messing up a kids eye. Take all those away and the kid will stab his eyes with a finger.

Basically, you can't make it idiot proof, the world will always make a better idiot.

#8935 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

People have to remember what a small business these start-ups are.

BINGO! Every $1000 spent has to be accounted for. We are all talking now about what John, Skit B is doing with deposit money.

So would you want them spending your deposit money on going to shows all the time, taking off work, adding cost, eating out, paying themselves. OR do you want them spending the money making the game.

We are mad one guy spent money while saying someone else should of spent more. How did it work for John showing up at a show? Would you rather have a game right now or seeing a half made game at a show.

There is little to no money to spend. When your doing it right and starting up every dollar has to be spent you take what little profit there is in the end.

We are going to have to learn to trust some. Apparently we already trust people who show pictures unfinished with 8-$10,000. How much more trust is it to without playing. Know a game others have seen, played, seen flipping, working is AWESOME! The later seems a easier justification in my mind.
Also probably the safer bet one side has shown ability to finish a product.

#8936 4 years ago

My solution would be that these start-ups figure out how to find financing on their own, just like virtually every business did before "crowd funding" ever showed up.

#8937 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballnut3:

Know a game others have seen, played, seen flipping, working is AWESOME! The later seems a easier justification in my mind.
Also probably the safer bet one side has shown ability to finish a product.

This is a BIG factor, and why Stern is thriving.

I was debating Predator, but at the same cost as IMVE or my Tron Pro all three in the $4700 range, seemed a lot of gamble on Predator, when I could have either of the two proven games.

Now with MG, yes it does look nice, but for twice the price of STLE it had better. Hindsight and all that, but people made a calculated bet that MG would be good and worth the price of STLE and The Hobbit combined.

#8938 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

That was a red flag for me with Skit-B. Why are they dragging the game, which is already behind schedule, to every show under the sun when it's already sold out and has to be costing them a couple thousand minimum per show to do so? And on top of that, it went down at almost every show! Each show appearance was hurting their reputation.

The most optimistic conclusion is incompetence. The realistic conclusion is they're stalling for some reason.

#8939 4 years ago

Has this video been posted? It seems like it's a snippet from the Adobe feature but I don't remember these scenes being included in the original video.

https://vimeo.com/127318501

#8940 4 years ago

Hey jpop: get a hair cut you bum.

#8941 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

405701.jpg

Forget about using a socket wrench to get your legs on and off.

#8942 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Hey jpop: get a hair cut you bum.

Long haired hippie.

#8943 4 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Forget about using a socket wrench to get your legs on and off.

Ok seriously this is getting petty! Who gives a F$&k if you can't use a socket wrench to tighten the legs. As for things to slam JPOP about this doesn't even make the top 1000 list IMHO!

#8944 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ok seriously this is getting petty! Who gives a F$&k if you can't use a socket wrench to tighten the legs. As for things to slam JPOP about this doesn't even make the top 1000 list IMHO!

At least we can all acknowledge there are over 1000 things worthy of slamming John about at this point.

PATHETIC!

#8945 4 years ago

Man that playfield of MG is really one of the most beatiful works of art.

#8946 4 years ago

I honestly think the play-field looks amazing. Big problem here is taking deposits on something with no planned delivery date. I honestly hope he is able to make these games as they look great and I love his other titles.

#8947 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

FWIW Jinx was the name of the cat in Pinball Magic. Not that it matters, just found it interesting.
Chris

Quoted from vid1900:

Jinx was the name of the cat in Meet the Parents.
Connection ?!

Jinx was also the name of the cat in the Freddy the Pig books.... Something's definitely afoot.

#8948 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Something's definitely afoot.

I always knew Jpop was controlled by the illuminati.

#8950 4 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Has this video been posted? It seems like it's a snippet from the Adobe feature but I don't remember these scenes being included in the original video.
» Vimeo video

That video is pretty crazy, is this the video response jpop was referring to? I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about it. It is definitely the most I've ever seen of any of the Zidware games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 179 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside