(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 486.
#8801 4 years ago

It looks like to me, based on their webpage and them talking about non market correlated and consistent returns of around 7% they are selling a "tax lien" strategy. Can't see prospectus, not signing up as accredited investor on their site.

You have to be "accredited", not highly liquid, but 7% is about right for AAA graded paper.

Where does a pinball machine company fit? I'd be interested to know myself as a "potential investor".

Maybe the founder is just a pinball guy and has set up an offering for very high risk/high reward opportunities?

#8802 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It looks like to me, based on their webpage and them talking about non market correlated and consistent returns of around 7% they are selling a "tax lien" strategy. Can't see prospectus, not signing up as accredited investor on their site.
You have to be "accredited", not highly liquid, but 7% is about right for AAA graded paper.
Where does a pinball machine company fit? I'd be interested to know myself as a "potential investor".
Maybe the founder is just a pinball guy and has set up an offering for very high risk/high reward opportunities?

Maybe its a long term stragegy to buy "investment grade" pinball machines NIB and horde them for years, then sell them for the big payoff.

MMR LE, KISS LE... you'd be a fool NOT to invest

#8803 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

At this moment John looks like a straight bozo/buffoon.

Priceless, thanks for the laugh

#8804 4 years ago

New video up on FB.

Look at the innovative and high quality back box latch and skid pads...

#8805 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Interesting.......
Deep Root is right down the road from me. Looks like these guys target "accredited investors" and one asset class they invest in is in the "distressed asset" category.
From their webpage
"The end result defines us: solid alternative investment debenture funds that are designed to keep pace with or outperform traditional investments without taking on unnecessary, unpredictable risk."
"Safety first"
Hmmm
As an "accredited investor" you are signing off that you have sufficient assets to risk and that you essentially know what you are getting into, these are private placements under Sec Reg D
Looks like the founders both worked at USAA prior. I wonder what their fees are?

I think that kind of investing is the definition of high-risk. The fees the chicago joint demanded were huge. Another reason why we didn't do it.

#8806 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

New video up on FB.

not again with those hinges. He's been talking about those hinges for 3 years.

#8807 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Hinges are ok, but just wait til you see how he paints backbox vents!

#8808 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

New video up on FB.

This is NOT a new video. This is old. I remember watching this a while ago.

#8809 4 years ago

Does anyone else wonder if those speakers are going to make the back glass rattle?

#8810 4 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

This is NOT a new video. This is old. I remember watching this a while ago.

So frustrating. What is shown is beautiful. Looks like he gets hung up on things no one will see, ie aluminum vents, but still. At the same time the inside of that cab has a bare whitewood so it does seem to be a rerun video.

#8811 4 years ago

I like the attention to detail. It's fun. I don't agree with all his choices, but whatever.

It's just that it's crazy to me that he's spending all this time and effort on shit like the way the back of the cabinet looks, and he has no actual game. Sticker on the back of the cabinet? Check! Figure out how to fit glass? Not so much ...

#8812 4 years ago

Anyone else notice the ETL sticker on the back? You only get that after you submit a finished product, and he don't look done. It's also REALLY bad to put such stickers on any product before it is, prototype or not. Wonder what ETL would think if they saw that video.
http://www.intertek.com/marks/etl

zidware_ETL_listing_sticker.jpg

#8813 4 years ago

The gameplay on those cabinets looks phenomenal.

#8814 4 years ago

Just throwing this in the fray - but, a lot of audio/music has been made for at least MG and maybe RAZA. There's also a bunch of animatics done for the display for MG that I know of too. So even though Ben's summary of work to be done is still bleak without those, it's not QUITE as bad as it could be -- Even if you completely throw out the whole backend and game work from the previous programmer, there's a decent amount of assets already there.

#8815 4 years ago

I just watched that video with the sound on. It's almost comical that John says he's been getting lots of emails about "Who's building these things?" and his answer is to talk about the cabinet. I don't think anyone has any questions about the cabinets. Deflecting like we've been getting for years now.

#8816 4 years ago

There was a question on facebook about who was doing the playfields which john turned into who is doing the cabinets.

#8817 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I think that kind of investing is the definition of high-risk. The fees the chicago joint demanded were huge. Another reason why we didn't do it.

That's why they sell PP's, so they can control the high fees.

Not sure about the "high risk", certainly not if its AAA paper because you have the underlying asset as collateral in a lien position behind the bank.

Who knows, not sure how investing in pinball became such a profitable venture. Maybe they should call Jack first.

#8818 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

So frustrating. What is shown is beautiful. Looks like he gets hung up on things no one will see, ie aluminum vents, but still.

Basically what we've been living through the past 4 years. Seeing glimpses of great stuff.

But now we've learned the hard truth that all those pieces haven't added up to a completed game, and the numbers kicked around in this thread show that he can't actually build the machine he is showing.

All that "spared no expense" attention to detail means impossible to fund the builds of our machines.

A real kick in the balls.

#8819 4 years ago

Frolic, you seem a little bitter...

I thought the latest video was alright. If he's heading west with what we can only pray is a completed game (sans code even), then why don't we wait and see what he presents us there before getting the torches and pitchforks?

Ps. My intention here is not to defend John, but seriously.. if he's about to play a card, I for one want to see it rather than scare the man away

#8820 4 years ago

Has anyone confirmed what "heading west" means? Is John officially presenting at a pinball show?

#8821 4 years ago

Has been interpreted to mean a show near Seattle in June.

#8822 4 years ago
#8824 4 years ago
Quoted from I8UB4:

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That picture explains a lot as to why the shooter was too high above the playfield. The top ramp will not fit under the glass. Everything about this game is custom.

#8825 4 years ago
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.37.33 PM.png
#8826 4 years ago

Why was the pic removed?

#8827 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Why was the pic removed?

Great harm.

#8828 4 years ago
#8829 4 years ago

Looks like there is something like a spinning back box animation built in. Is it the face mask from the side of the back box turning there, or what could it be?

mg_backglass_02.jpg
mg_backglass_01.jpg

#8830 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Frolic, you seem a little bitter...
I thought the latest video was alright. If he's heading west with what we can only pray is a completed game (sans code even), then why don't we wait and see what he presents us there before getting the torches and pitchforks?
Ps. My intention here is not to defend John, but seriously.. if he's about to play a card, I for one want to see it rather than scare the man away

Meh, we've been lied to consistently for years, and he's continuing his MO by posting deflecting videos, talking about cabinets again. Probably the same stuff he talked about at expo about the cabinets.

We're still waiting for Hobbit to be released after it was shown at expo 8 months ago.

I am still waiting for my Full Throttle, also brought to expo last year, which they are building a first batch of 20, a comparable number to Magic Girl. And these are fully staffed companies with actual factories. Not to mention both of them have multiple programmers on staff, and john has no one working on that at all.

So no I'm not buying into John's narrative that the game is almost done and all he needs is some playfield glass.

#8831 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Those are some sweet hinges.

#8832 4 years ago

few points

I don't like the speakers in the back glass, it messes up the art which should be unbroken like a painting.

I think he's worried about things like the hinges and how nice the back of the game looks, at the expense of actually building the most important thing, the actual game.

I think those leg bolts (spikes) is a stupid idea. I know he says you can or can not use them, but IMO just a ridiculous idea. What's next razor blades?

I think John has lost his mind a long time ago, and it just became apparent to the world in the last year. For a while I think people were assuming that the games were just delayed, like The Hobbit for example. But it was starting to dawn on me that all his little reveals weren't adding up to a full game, and when he showed up at Expo without a prototype that just sealed the deal in my mind that he wasn't just delayed, but rather he was stuck in the planning stages.

#8834 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think John has lost his mind a long time ago, and it just became apparent to the world in the last year. For a while I think people were assuming that the games were just delayed, like The Hobbit for example. But it was starting to dawn on me that all his little reveals weren't adding up to a full game, and when he showed up at Expo without a prototype that just sealed the deal in my mind that he wasn't just delayed, but rather he was stuck in the planning stages.

According to GLM, there was a push for an Expo 2013 reveal of Magic Girl. So he was "close" then, and then.... 2 years pass?

No business can operate like this in the real world. And I think we're finally seeing that no business can operate like this in the fantasy world of pinball either.

Those additional 2 years were funded by RAZA payments and then Alice payments, as well as unpaid vendors who basically financed the operation through unpaid invoices. Money coming in, no product going out.

And we STILL have no idea what the plan/strategy is for Magic Girl, or any of the other games.

#8835 4 years ago

Frolic did u catch the play field pic posted the other day here then removed?

#8836 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Frolic did u catch the play field pic posted the other day here then removed?

nope, how was it different from what we've seen?

#8837 4 years ago

Clearly John has done and produced a lot of stuff, as Eric as indicated, but what is missing an cohesive and comprehensive plan to get this across the finish line. I think in John's mind he is making progress, but without a project plan timelines, it will never get done. Maybe all of this 'noise' is getting him more motivated, but has consistently been pointed out hard to see this making across the finish line and into production, given the funds that are likely available, or probably better said not available. We obvious don't know how much he has drawn as salary, nor how much he has paid out for stuff. Although we have to assume there is very little left since he clearly owes a ton of money to vendors and contractors.

As far as production, maybe he was planning on having skit-b do the production for him after they cranked out Predator at 10 per week or maybe Chicago coin after they did MMR (oh, wait they could not do MMr, they had Stern do it) or maybe he thought Spooky would do it for him, not like he pissed off Ben and/or Charlie -- oh, wait . . .

The reality is several people have offered to help project manage, etc. and many were willing to do so for a fraction of what their time is worth, and jpop refused to let them help. He does not want someone to manage the project or to manage him, he wants to do things his way and thus we will have a new term of art 'the jpop way', which will be a lesson for future pinball companies on what not to do.

#8838 4 years ago

If I was making a list of things that were *most important* to a boutique pinball project.

It would be somethig like:

Production planning and licenses and if the funding can cover the costs.
Communication and refunds if the project changes theme or is horribly delayed.
Gameplay, layout, code programming.
Art and toys.

Many other things..

Cabinet hinges, leg bolts, inside cabinet paint and vent trim.

John is working from the bottom (least important things) and going up to the higher priority things last which is backwards.

#8839 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

He does not want someone to manage the project or to manage him, he wants to do things his way and thus we will have a new term of art 'the jpop way', which will be a lesson for future pinball companies on what not to do.

Option 4 is obviously his preferred strategy...

Quoted from Razorbak86:

1. "Optimism" - Wait and see, but hope for the best.
2. "Defeatism" - Give up and walk away.
3. "Cheerleading" - Continue enabling the company through comments and actions.
4. "Business as Usual" - Let The Pinball Inventor™ be.
5. "Bargaining" - Pray for a 'Hail Mary' rescue (Stage 3 of the Five Stages of Grief).
6. "Litigation" - File a lawsuit (civil court).
7. "Bankruptcy" - File an involuntary bankruptcy petition (bankruptcy court).

#8840 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

nope, how was it different from what we've seen?

It was just the fully populated play field with Paper ramps..

#8841 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

According to GLM, there was a push for an Expo 2013 reveal of Magic Girl. So he was "close" then, and then.... 2 years pass?

He probably ran into a problem (software? ramps?) and then moved onto Paper Kiss Pinball Machine, (PKPM), then different art for RAZA, then came up with the idea for Alice in Wonderland, then started designing his EM machine, etc.

He certainly should have finished Magic Girl, even if he didn't have anything done for the other two machines at all, it would give him at least an ounce of credibility and people wouldn't be calling for his head.

#8842 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I think I already sent it to him. Frolic, if you didn't get it let me know and I'll send it to you.

#8843 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The center circular ramp sat at least 10" above the play field which explains why the play field has to sit so deep in the back of the cabinet. It really blocked your view of the entire top of the play field. I think the shooter rod will have to sit much lower than on a standard game and that is why it doesn't line up on the video on his website/blog.

PS - ChrisVW; Why can't it be posted again?

#8844 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

PS - ChrisVW; Why can't it be posted again?

Two words: Great Harm

#8845 4 years ago

Send it to me, I'll post it.

#8846 4 years ago

I didn't take the photo. It was just posted on the owners group forum only and I don't know if the original author wanted it on pinside or not. I know he reads this thread so I'll let him post it if he wants to.

Offered to forward to Frolic since he is an owner but isn't on the FB group.

#8847 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Has anyone confirmed what "heading west" means? Is John officially presenting at a pinball show?

Doesn't his faithfully silent assistant live in the PNW?

#8848 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Basically what we've been living through the past 4 years. Seeing glimpses of great stuff.
But now we've learned the hard truth that all those pieces haven't added up to a completed game, and the numbers kicked around in this thread show that he can't actually build the machine he is showing.
All that "spared no expense" attention to detail means impossible to fund the builds of our machines.
A real kick in the balls.

Is it the hard truth or the "middle truth"?

#8849 4 years ago

It had at least twice the height of ramps & etc that most games have.

There was an entry ramp (paper) same place as TOTAN, that looped around and up had a magnet that could catch the ball and drop it into the right return ramp or go past that and drop into the left return ramp.

The return ramps are what he milled and they look straightforward. But the curved loop ramp? I pity da fool that has to make a mold for that!

#8850 4 years ago

Would it be possible to print up the 3d modeled mold, clean it/smooth it, make a plaster negative, then a final aluminum positive kinda like classical bronze statues were made?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Olathe, KS
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside