(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 171 of 487.
#8501 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

"No second tries" -- thus the reason you first do wood molds

Measure for four years; cut once.

#8502 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Holy moly time flies.....

No shit. I'm not ready to be thinking about Expo yet!

#8504 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Spending about $2500 to have the molds made and vacuum form about 6 ramps for the three prototype games to make them look complete

Well just by estimation, it looks to be at minimum 1" thick x 12" wide x 36" long of 6061 aluminum, and mcmaster shows it as $228:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-alloy-6061/=x5kv2z

Based on quotes I've done with protomold, I'd say there's a good $5k in machining in that long of a piece. There's more than material cost savings, it's much cheaper to cut wood because you can set the cutting speed much higher. Of course that's using local vendors (which John seems to pride on using). If it were machined overseas, it would be 1/3 the cost. Could explain the great delay between paper ramps and a mold, it's usually 4-6 weeks of machining, and then another 4-6 weeks transported by ship (would be ungodly expensive to air freight that big of a piece), not that I'm trying to justify time spent.

#8505 4 years ago

image.jpg

#8506 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

It was paid for.

Was it paid for by a check for $0 and a memo line that states "For the love of pinball" ?

#8507 4 years ago

Dude, I never want to see people fail, but if this guy is freeloading off his suppliers, man....... not cool.

Funny thing is if he actually does pull MG off, there will be so much praise and adulation that this could potentially all get forgotten. That possibility sickens me.

#8508 4 years ago

If they are made, I'll be like Seinfeld in this scene for have given up on John:

image.jpg

#8509 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Funny thing is if he actually does pull MG off, there will be so much praise and adulation that this could potentially all get forgotten. That possibility sickens me.

Seems to be what John is banking on. Showing up at expo with a game to show and have his lebowski moment.

#8510 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Funny thing is if he actually does pull MG off, there will be so much praise and adulation that this could potentially all get forgotten.

No it won't. Never again and I'll go out on a limb to bet that I'm not just speaking for myself.

#8511 4 years ago

There are people today praising him on his facebook and blogs, over seeing incomplete stuff.

#8512 4 years ago
Quoted from CoinTaker:

John Popaduik was too busy to review his open invoices before expo. He made me feel like a ass for asking to get his account up to date. As he was very busy getting ready for expo. Well I did not want to be at fault for him not having the game ready for show. ( you know it would take 15 minutes to review the invoices that have been sent to him several times)
Now 7 months later, I am the jerk for giving him my money and support for 4 plus years and wanting answers and paid.
Pretty messed up if he has been paying himself without paying for ordered parts.
Congrats to Ben Heck and Spooky for showing how it's done! The sad thing is what John told me as why Ben was no longer part of the project. Looking forward to Ben's next game! Way to go Ben!

Man I'm glad you decided to break your silence on this matter.

Way to go John, pathetic.

#8513 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Not a chance. He's finished.

There is no money left. Neither MG nor anything else is getting finished without John going into bankruptcy. He is just playing Demolition derby with whatever he's got left now. It's just a matter of time now.

Sorry, just the reality, and yes its sickening.

#8514 4 years ago
Quoted from CoinTaker:

John Popaduik was too busy to review his open invoices before expo. He made me feel like a ass for asking to get his account up to date. As he was very busy getting ready for expo. Well I did not want to be at fault for him not having the game ready for show. ( you know it would take 15 minutes to review the invoices that have been sent to him several times)
Now 7 months later, I am the jerk for giving him my money and support for 4 plus years and wanting answers and paid.
Pretty messed up if he has been paying himself without paying for ordered parts.
Congrats to Ben Heck and Spooky for showing how it's done! The sad thing is what John told me as why Ben was no longer part of the project. Looking forward to Ben's next game! Way to go Ben!

Damn.... Popaduik is approaching Kulek status. Besides the licensing issue, I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference in their integrity.

#8515 4 years ago

The really ironic thing about this, is that JPOP is pulling some serious 'misdirection' with this ramp business, on the "magic girl" pin. Being an Amateur magician, I think this is very fitting. Sad, but fitting.
Between Magic Girl, and Theatre of Magic, it looks like with this misdirection, John really is starting to become a real amateur magician.

#8516 4 years ago

The only problem with pulling misdirection, is its supposed to cover what the other hand is doing, and it looks like most people have seen what John is doing, or in this case, not doing.

#8517 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Seems to be what John is banking on. Showing up at expo with a game to show and have his lebowski moment.

He might have it, it just might be the "Where's the money Lebowski!@#!@" moment, not the reveal type.

#8518 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

The really ironic thing about this, is that JPOP is pulling some serious 'misdirection' with this ramp business, on the "magic girl" pin. Being an Amateur magician, I think this is very fitting

Penn & teller, misdirection
"to understand the complexity of teller's life, you need to know the 7 basic principles of magic"
1. palm - to hold an object in an apparently empty hand
2. ditch - to secretly dispose of an un-needed object
3. steal - the obvious ditch, to secretly obtain a needed object
4. load - to secretly move the needed object to where it's needed
5. simulation - to give the impression that something that hasn't happened.. has
6. misdirection - to lead attention away from the secret move
7. switch - to secretly exchange one object for another

Let's see how many of the above apply here

#8519 4 years ago

OT is Penn and Teller a great show to see? Is it OK for teenagers?

#8520 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Yes if you can handle Teller's constant foul language.

#8521 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Yes if you can handle Teller's constant foul language.

lol

I also want to see Brad Garrett (21 and older) I saw him a number of years ago, he's hysterical.

He was just on Howard Stern, he says one of his bits is to roast some people in the front row, one day he was making fun of a guy, however he didn't know until later that it was John Gotti.

#8522 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

My wife took me to see them live for my birthday once, we really enjoyed it. They're truly top showmen, and real artists of their craft.

#8523 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I enjoyed it but you don't want to spend any more time at the Rio than for their show.

#8524 4 years ago

I have seen them twice and they are not only masters of illusion, but also have an irreverent style all their own. They pay homage to the old masters and the carnies of past eras. In Reno I saw them do the infamous "bullet catch" illusion. Absolutely beautifully executed. Pun intended.

#8525 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

They are relatively safe, very few curse words (Penn is like al yankovic, very clean living never having smoked or drank once in his life). I've seen them twice. Penn plays the BASS for about an hour before the show while people get seated. tricks are sometimes repeated, but they have over 30 years of developing tricks so a lot can be new. After the show, no matter how many people are sitting in the hall after the show, no matter how long it takes, they will sign autographs and pose for photos with every single person. They are very genuine people.
they usually reveal how one of the tricks is done (as above), but they clearly warn you beforehand and let you decide if you don't want magic ruined by closing your eyes, or allowing yourself to watch how the magic happens.

The tv show based from britain called "fool us" is pretty entertaining because when someone really does fool penn & teller, it's amazing to watch them admit defeat with all the experience they have

#8526 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

After the show, no matter how many people are sitting in the hall after the show, no matter how long it takes, they will sign autographs and pose for photos with every single person. They are very genuine people.

I enjoyed meeting them after a show a number of years ago. Very approachable and quite humble.

#8527 4 years ago

If buyers can get the parts from him somehow and drop a Proc into it I can start coding for it. I won't write the software for JPop but I'll do it to help those that have dropped the money so they can have some kind of game. ONLY after they get the hardware though.

Video showing some progress I have made in less than a month...

Pictures are more recent. Probably a month and a half of development with most of the time spent on client software used for testing hardware, configuring a machine and debugging modes.

Pin Framework - Client v0.3.png Pin Framework v0.4 - Switch Settings Highlighted.png Pin Framework v0.4 - Direct Switch Rollover.png Pin Framework v0.4 - Switch Matrix.png Pin Framework v0.4 - Playfield Resizing.png
#8528 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

They are relatively safe, very few curse words (Penn is like al yankovic, very clean living never having smoked or drank once in his life). I've seen them twice. Penn plays the BASS for about an hour before the show while people get seated. tricks are sometimes repeated, but they have over 30 years of developing tricks so a lot can be new. After the show, no matter how many people are sitting in the hall after the show, no matter how long it takes, they will sign autographs and pose for photos with every single person. They are very genuine people.
they usually reveal how one of the tricks is done (as above), but they clearly warn you beforehand and let you decide if you don't want magic ruined by closing your eyes, or allowing yourself to watch how the magic happens.
The tv show based from britain called "fool us" is pretty entertaining because when someone really does fool penn & teller, it's amazing to watch them admit defeat with all the experience they have
» YouTube video

Its all an illusion Penn was in on the act it was all set up prior.

#8529 4 years ago
Quoted from lachied:

Probably a month and a half of development with most of the time spent on client software used for testing hardware, configuring a machine and debugging modes.

Pin Framework - Client v0.3.png (Click image to enlarge)
Pin Framework v0.4 - Switch Settings Highlighted.png (Click image to enlarge)
Pin Framework v0.4 - Direct Switch Rollover.png (Click image to enlarge)
Pin Framework v0.4 - Switch Matrix.png (Click image to enlarge)
Pin Framework v0.4 - Playfield Resizing.png (Click image to enlarge)

There is so much great development going on in pinball! Nice work!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#8530 4 years ago

Holy crap that is some cool pin-makin' software. And here I was going to crack a joke about paying 16K for a 0% code-complete pin, but wow!

#8531 4 years ago

Just finished listening to the new Coast2Coast Pinball Podcast. JPop and Zidware are one of the topics.

As always, worth a listen.

#8532 4 years ago

From my experience with Predator I would advise EVERYONE that has money on this project to show up at John's studio and take your money or equivalent in parts ASAP.

I have been loosely following along and this seems to be going a similar path. Get your money (or equivalent in parts) now, while you still have a shot at something.

Good luck to all, maybe they wil make a special jail cell somewhere to hold scam artist pinball designers.

#8533 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

From my experience with Predator I would advise EVERYONE that has money on this project to show up at John's studio and take your money or equivalent in parts ASAP.
I have been loosely following along and this seems to be going a similar path. Get your money (or equivalent in parts) now, while you still have a shot at something.
Good luck to all, maybe they wil make a special jail cell somewhere to hold scam artist pinball designers.

This is my message, get out before they go down. However that works, the last ones out will be holding a bag of Jpoop.

#8534 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I said it last week, but it's worth saying again. How in the WORLD has nobody gone to his shop and demanded answers? Even if it's somebody with no "skin in the game"? We are a community no? At the end of the day if this falls apart we all lose.

#8536 4 years ago

Knowing what I now know post Predator, if I was in on this game I would be figuring out when is the most likely time to have people at his shop and would be booking a plane ticket and car rental today.

The cost of travel is cheap to Chicago from almost anywhere in the nation and it may save you 10kplus (I know many that are in for multiple jpop games).

I woudl be happy to stop by his shop on Thursday when I am on my way to VFW show, but I have a feeling it woudl not do anyone any good and since I am not in, he does not owe me any answers.

#8537 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I woudl be happy to stop by his shop on Thursday when I am on my way to VFW show, but I have a feeling it woudl not do anyone any good and since I am not in, he does not owe me any answers.

He wouldn't know if you were in or out. Dead or alive. He has no apparent organized record keeping and accounting in place.

I would like for you to go as a representative of myself and I'm sure others here.

You certainly have a different perspective post SkitB Hilton

Please go, I can't get there until June myself.

#8538 4 years ago

Fyi,

I texted with StevenP last night, a true believer and a guy that is doing us all a great service, for nothing, and maybe the only person that John actually talks to.

I asked him if John realizes how serious the situation is and he replied by saying that he certainly does and his number 1 priority is "to make things right" for all the customers and to get the vendors paid asap.

And that it should be a "very interesting month", no details but there is apparently an "investor" at least looking at the situation.

I don't have any faith in John for sure, but at least a guy like Steve is still involved. That's something!

So yes, we have all heard it before and while I wouldn't believe a word John says, Steve is a great guy and has no reason to mislead anybody, he's just trying to help.

So don't shoot the messenger.

#8539 4 years ago

Not directed at StevenP, not shooting the messenger....

It's deja vu all over again with waiting for some investor deal.

And if John really wanted to make things right, or at least start to, he'd suck it up and spill his guts and answer every question we had, starting with what is he looking for an investor for, what does he require, where is he short, and what needs to happen?

The secrecy has to end.

#8540 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Please go, I can't get there until June myself.

If someone wants to send me information (assuming it is enroute/ in chicago land area) then I can try to stop by as your representative.

I have not been paying full attention to this saga so i would need to be briefed on what I need to look for and what questions need to be answered.

#8541 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have not been paying full attention to this saga so i would need to be briefed on what I need to look for and what questions need to be answered.

The facts .... Quick summary:

- a lot of money paid
- a long time ago
- not much to show for it
- lots of art revisions
- lots of angry punters
- lots of angry vendors
- zero communication
- phone answering fail
- great harm
- generally not positive

Think that about sums it up.

rd.

#8542 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The facts .... Quick summary:
- a lot of money paid
- a long time ago
- not much to show for it
- lots of art revisions
- lots of angry punters
- lots of angry vendors
- great harm
- generally not positive
Think that about sums it up.
rd.

You forgot one

-Zero communication

#8543 4 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

The really ironic thing about this, is that JPOP is pulling some serious 'misdirection' with this ramp business, on the "magic girl" pin. Being an Amateur magician, I think this is very fitting. Sad, but fitting.
Between Magic Girl, and Theatre of Magic, it looks like with this misdirection, John really is starting to become a real amateur magician.

Nope, he is a professional magician. He took all these people's money and just made it disappear!

#8544 4 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

You forgot one
-Zero communication

Updated!

rd.

#8545 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If someone wants to send me information (assuming it is enroute/ in chicago land area) then I can try to stop by as your representative.

Make sure there aren't a lot of moving supplies and boxes stacked by the door and a U-haul truck parked in front.

#8546 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think the main things you need to know are the time frame and the deadlines that have been missed. You need to know that vendors have not been paid, one being a major investor (CoinTaker), and refund requests are being ignored. rotordave's summary is it in a nutshell. Otherwise I think it would be best for you to go in uninformed and make an unbiased assessment based on what you've learned from Predator and your gut feeling based on what you see or don't see.

In other words, you know a lot of time has passed, a lot of money has been sent to John, tell us bluntly what you think based on what John is willing to share.

Where this will all fall down is John will insist on an NDA. Which means you'd be wasting your time if you sign it and abide by the terms. And you won't get in if you don't sign one. So, that leaves everyone...exactly nowhere.

#8547 4 years ago

A lot of people have been dazzled by what they see in his shop. There's no question he's spent a lot of time working on various pieces. One would argue TOO MUCH TIME (and money) spent on various pieces, and no completed games.

The real problem is the business aspect has been a complete disaster. The only way to size it up would be to review his books, which he will never allow, or to ask for and get honest answers, which he so far refuses to do.

I'm back to thinking like ice that the only way this is saved is by removing John.

#8548 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I find it curious that your first post about possibly visiting John was flagged by the mods with "Pinside does not condone ever going to someone in person for any reason uninvited". I agree that showing up at another Pinsider's home uninvited is a bad idea but in this case, showing up at a place of business to ask "what the hell is going on?" seems reasonable. Invite or not.

#8549 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would like your personal honest assessment as to what the status really is of MG and RAZA based on what you see with your own eyes and getting a chance to play the whitewood after 4 years.

I really don't trust anything that John says, any more than I'd trust what Kevin says, tell us what you actually see and based on what you see ask him some pertinent questions regarding scale, coding and production.

Simple, I'm pretty sure your BS meter is up at an all time high right now.

Quoted from frolic:

The secrecy has to end.

Amen, don't know what else to say, the only guy he will listen to is Steve AND anybody that is willing to throw money at him.

What you and I both know is that while at least the doors aren't shut permanently as of today and somebody is at least looking, I'll stipulate as to your statement that its all deja vu again and will end the same way, nothing gets done.

The "secrecy" thing to me is the most MIND BLOWING aspect of all of this. That's why I'm glad Chris at Cointaker came out and said what he said now, after getting upset with me disclosing that story a few months ago. Shining a light on can only help everybody involved.

What's really F ed up is John doesn't see it! It's so dumb it's just beyond belief.

#8550 4 years ago

Stay strong, Whysnow!

whysnow-after-visiting-jpop.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 171 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside