(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 486.
#801 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Magic Girl Playfield image-3.jpg 99 KB

Beautiful!
Please bring it out even if it's just a low number of games, but bring it out!

#802 5 years ago

I suppose if there's any consolation, it's that people have been waiting WAYYYY longer for MMR to come out.

#803 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I suppose if there's any consolation, it's that people have been waiting WAYYYY longer for MMR to come out.

How do you figure? Magic Girl is like 3 years in ... MMR was announced at last year's expo.

#804 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

How do you figure? Magic Girl is like 3 years in ... MMR was announced at last year's expo.

I think he's talking about the people that were waiting for wayne's promised MMR to materialize. I'm not sure that is valid, though, as it was a completely different entity.

#805 5 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

I think he's talking about the people that were waiting for wayne's promised MMR to materialize. I'm not sure that is valid, though, as it was a completely different entity.

Not necessarily a different entity, people who've had deposits in on Wayne's promised MMR have been transferred over to the new production. Those people have been waiting, what... 10 years?

#806 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

your missing nothing as long as Zidware has the assets left in the company to pay out the creditors. I'm not sure with US law but up here it would be on a pro rata basis.

Exactly.

And that's how it is with any pinball manufacturer. Seriously, who the hell would be stupid enough to start a pinball company without forming an LLC?

Again, the fact that JPop has an LLC has nothing to do with whether or not a suit should be filed. Nothing.

It's the LLC that has the money that was put down. Not JPop himself.

#807 5 years ago

I don't even want to talk about lawsuits or going down that path. If it came to that, we've all lost.

I think yesterday was a tough day for jpop, but the message has been received it seems. I'll keep pressing him though.

#808 5 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Ooooh, yeah. I forgot about that train wreck.

#809 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Again, the fact that JPop has an LLC has nothing to do with whether or not a suit should be filed. Nothing.

It's the LLC that has the money that was put down. Not JPop himself.

I respectfully disagree. If the LLC has insolvency issues the juice may simply not be worth the squeeze - I guess this depends on whether a potential plaintiff can find someone willing to take the case on a contingent basis which in my view may be unlikely.

How much in salary do you think JPop has taken? Possibly a good amount over the three years (obviously I do not know this but it would lead one to assume that solvency may be an issue if it comes to litigation).

#810 5 years ago

I think you have to give credit to John for the letter that was posted on the private blogs that he asked to have posted here. He acknowledged, as he has before on the private blogs, that there was much more to do than he realized and that it has taken much longer than he realized. He also acknowledged that he has made mistakes and that The Big Lebowski looked great.

At the time I sent him my initial two payments, I got in to RAZA a few months in, I had access to the RAZA blog and could e-mail John. Everyone realized that giving money to a brand new company for a pinball machine that existed only in very cool drawings took a significant amount of faith. We weighed the risk of failure vs. the upside of having a limited machine that is likely to be one of the best ever and chose to send the money.

Things are where they are at this point. John has admitted that he underestimated the task and I'm sure he did not contemplate that suppliers would not come through for a variety of reasons. John obviously does not have a huge staff or a PR department. I am sure that he was so involved with the cabinet build and proud of its quality that he had no idea he would be disappointing owners by not showing more. Now, he does know that. He also knows that he needs to respond with some sort of timetable beyond the estimates of people who have toured his facility.

When this all came to a head, he responded with an honest, public message explaining how things got to this point.

Lets all take a deep breath, give John a second to take in all that has happened and move forward with more communication on both sides.

I'm sure that John wants good relations with his buyers so that he will have more buyers in the future.
If some people are unwilling to accept the explanation for the delays, then I'm sure he will find some way to satisfy them.

#811 5 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

When this all came to a head, he responded with an honest, public message explaining how things got to this point.

Lets all take a deep breath, give John a second to take in all that has happened and move forward with more communication on both sides.

I totally agree. My discussion with Rob above is just theoretical. Thanks.

#812 5 years ago

Tiger - wasn't meant to respond to you at all. Just to respond generally to some of the speculation going on and insistence on immediate answers and offer one owner's perspective.

I think litigation in this case would be a waste of everyone's time. I know it is not a case that I would take on a contingency. Your explanation of the LLC and John's salary issue is right on.

#813 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I respectfully disagree. If the LLC has insolvency issues the juice may simply not be worth the squeeze - I guess this depends on whether a potential plaintiff can find someone willing to take the case on a contingent basis which in my view may be unlikely.
How much in salary do you think JPop has taken? Possibly a good amount over the three years (obviously I do not know this but it would lead one to assume that solvency may be an issue if it comes to litigation).

I am confident that we are talking past each other.

Please understand my point, which is the fact that Zidware being LLC has zero to do with anyone considering a lawsuit to recover their deposit having second thoughts because of that fact.

Nobody is talking about insolvency! We are talking about a simple suit to get a deposit back. From the company it was paid to. That's Zidware, which is a LLC.

You are acting as though nobody should file suit simply because it's an LLC. That makes no sense at all. A few people filing suit to get their deposit back isn't going to cause Zidware to be insolvent. If it does, the problems are bigger than we thought. But even then, the fact that it's an LLC has nothing to do with it.

You seem to be implying that if JPop's personal assets were available, only then would a suit make sense? As though JPop is a rich guy or something?

#814 5 years ago

guys it is pretty simple. Jpop, personally is not responsible and all agree it is his LLC. Given that, If someone wants their money back they would file suit and eventually (lots in between here) get in front of a judge who would then decide whether or not it is a valid claim. If it is, and due to the amount of time I believe this is the case, the judge would then ask the LLC to pay back what is owed. If the LLC cannot, it is insolvent and a Court ordered receiver would be appointed to rip the LLC apart, find what assets it has, and distribute on a pro rata basis to all creditors who have "signed up" or are involved. If the LLC can pay claim back business continues as per usual.

I really don't have an issue here and there would be a whack of arguments on both sides the LLC and the creditors but by principle I my self have to sit back here and ask myself, did I get into this because I love pinball and did I know there was possibility this would never get done? Of course I did so there is no way I would be the one to force the LLC into insolvency. I am not saying anyone needs or has to feel the way I do, it's just what I knew in my brain when I handed over my hard earned cash. I myself don't even have access to the private form which i'm sure is no more than my bad computer skills and misplacing an email from John that did give me the access and a code? Rambling, sorry. Lets let him get this done and really I don't think there will be much less there NOT letting him try to finish to be honest.

#815 5 years ago

^ Well said.

Again, though, I would say that a few guys asking for a refund of their deposit shouldn't put Zidware into insolvency. If it did, that means the pins were probably never going to be finished anyway.

Obviously if there was a "run on the bank" where everyone started demanding their deposits back, there would be an issue of insolvency.

#816 5 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I think you have to give credit to John for the letter that was posted on the private blogs that he asked to have posted here. He acknowledged, as he has before on the private blogs, that there was much more to do than he realized and that it has taken much longer than he realized. He also acknowledged that he has made mistakes and that The Big Lebowski looked great.
At the time I sent him my initial two payments, I got in to RAZA a few months in, I had access to the RAZA blog and could e-mail John. Everyone realized that giving money to a brand new company for a pinball machine that existed only in very cool drawings took a significant amount of faith. We weighed the risk of failure vs. the upside of having a limited machine that is likely to be one of the best ever and chose to send the money.
Things are where they are at this point. John has admitted that he underestimated the task and I'm sure he did not contemplate that suppliers would not come through for a variety of reasons. John obviously does not have a huge staff or a PR department. I am sure that he was so involved with the cabinet build and proud of its quality that he had no idea he would be disappointing owners by not showing more. Now, he does know that. He also knows that he needs to respond with some sort of timetable beyond the estimates of people who have toured his facility.
I'm sure that John wants good relations with his buyers so that he will have more buyers in the future.
If some people are unwilling to accept the explanation for the delays, then I'm sure he will find some way to satisfy them.

Deff needed to happen, glad u guys are getting more info. Hopefully that's not the last titbit picture u see for 6 more months and he offers a timetable to show u guys a working table even if its not in completed form. U guys deserve more info that can't make it to his shop.

#817 5 years ago

Probably the simplest solution here, is for John to show what he's got. Drop the secrecy, and generate positive hype again for the games. That will put names on the waiting list again and those buyers can replace the ones that would like off.

He may not want to do it this way, but he's in a spot now and would have to compromise.

#818 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'd say get focused and go make it happen! Forget AIW for now or anything else that gets in the way of completing MG and RAZA. Then move on to the next game.

Hold on just a second, John has just as much responsibility to deliver AIW as the other two games at this point. After all, he has pre-order funds from those folks as well. He made a commitment to work on all three games HIMSELF. If he is going to abandon AIW for now then he should be OBLIGATED to give everyone a full refund immediately. By doing it your way, shouldn't he just focus on MG and cut out RAZA too?

#819 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

guys it is pretty simple. Jpop, personally is not responsible and all agree it is his LLC. Given that, If someone wants their money back they would file suit and eventually (lots in between here) get in front of a judge who would then decide whether or not it is a valid claim. If it is, and due to the amount of time I believe this is the case, the judge would then ask the LLC to pay back what is owed. If the LLC cannot, it is insolvent and a Court ordered receiver would be appointed to rip the LLC apart, find what assets it has, and distribute on a pro rata basis to all creditors who have "signed up" or are involved. If the LLC can pay claim back business continues as per usual.
I really don't have an issue here and there would be a whack of arguments on both sides the LLC and the creditors but by principle I my self have to sit back here and ask myself, did I get into this because I love pinball and did I know there was possibility this would never get done? Of course I did so there is no way I would be the one to force the LLC into insolvency. I am not saying anyone needs or has to feel the way I do, it's just what I knew in my brain when I handed over my hard earned cash. I myself don't even have access to the private form which i'm sure is no more than my bad computer skills and misplacing an email from John that did give me the access and a code? Rambling, sorry. Lets let him get this done and really I don't think there will be much less there NOT letting him try to finish to be honest.

Even if jpop ran out of the money to actually make the games by using it all up on company build up and design build up he could get a loan to build the games, increase the totals to offset the cost of the loan and make the games. He's far enough along that there's that option if it were a issue. Again it's nice to be informed what ur rights are from knowledgable guys here in law. Your talking hypothetical scenario no one is saying go sue him.

#820 5 years ago

Best of luck to anyone in on a preorder with JPOP. I love his games, but wouldn't have had the balls to preorder any of these new projects. The carnival type artwork on that cabinet looks awesome. I'd probably buy an empty machine just to have that. lol.

#821 5 years ago

It's great he replied in a rational and apologetic manner. Even better is the fact he is acknowledging errors. That's great. Now he needs to lay out a plan on how he intends to get this project(s) back on schedule. What things may have to be scrapped/altered in order to meet the remaining cash constraints and adhere to a schedule. Compromises will have to be made. The elephant in the room is remaining capital. If I was an owner, I would have serious concerns whether there is enough money to build the games. JPop has been clear that most everything has been custom. Custom costs money. I would want to know where the project(s) funding stands to complete. It may come down to JPop needing additional funds from existing buyers or more buyers. Either way, that has to be ferreted out of JPop. Schedules are great but funding is paramount to ensuring this project gets completed.

#822 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Even if jpop ran out of the money to actually make the games by using it all up on company build up and design build up he could get a loan to build the games, increase the totals to offset the cost of the loan and make the games. He's far enough along that there's that option if it were a issue. Again it's nice to be informed what ur rights are from knowledgable guys here in law. Your talking hypothetical scenario no one is saying go sue him.

Exactly i am saying the opposite. There is no point. there will be more there in LLC letting him finish. For anyone to consider starting the avalanche (see Rob T's comments) its really just not good business. If he was out on his 50 ft Yacht with a martini in his had (sounds more like me) then yes but he is working his fingers to the bones and this letter proves this! Let it be!

#823 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Exactly i am saying the opposite. There is no point. there will be more there in LLC letting him finish. For anyone to consider starting the Avalanche (see Rob T's comments) its really just not good business. If he was out on his 50 ft Yacht with a martini in his had (sounds more like me) then yes but he is working his fingers to the bones and this letter proves this! Let it be!

He'll be fine, just push him along

#824 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I am confident that we are talking past each other.

Please understand my point, which is the fact that Zidware being LLC has zero to do with anyone considering a lawsuit to recover their deposit having second thoughts because of that fact.

Nobody is talking about insolvency! We are talking about a simple suit to get a deposit back. From the company it was paid to. That's Zidware, which is a LLC.

I agree. We are talking past each other. Also, I again stress this is purely theoretical. That said, i will flesh out my point a bit further as I do not believe either of us disagree with the other's position. I am making assumptions here and have not seen JPop documents regarding the deposit - I am not giving anyone legal advice.

My assumption is Zidware was not capitalized with much, if any, outside capital besides start up costs (incorporation fees, attorneys fees, cpa fees perhaps, a couple other minor matters). My assumption is the deposits were actual capital used in the development of the game (the word deposit can be misleading). My assumption is to the extent there was capital put into the company it was a type of debt that was collateralized with the assets. My assumption is employee fees over the past few years have consumed much of the capital. My assumption is outside fees (possibly attorneys protecting IP and what not) have consumed more capital.

All of the above in mind, I then move to the thought that it is pertinent that JPop is not personally on the hook. If JPop is not on the hook personally he may just walk away and not finish anything if he feels any heat or pressure or is just tired of dealing with things. There may be no meaningful assets to even make it worth obtaining a judgment or collecting a judgment. Also, the person who brings the action ends up carrying the water for others, something that is usually not appealing.

If (and that is a big if, I am expressly not saying there is any problem at all with JPop) there is a problem and deposits are not voluntarily refunded it may not be worth people hiring an attorney (even on a contingent basis, if they could find one willing to take the case) to recover whatever may be around (if anything).

Again, this is purely theoretical. I will bring future discussion on this subject only to PM.

#825 5 years ago

Get a lawyer and you can get a refund. But first ask nicely in writing. Refunds are available when a contract is breached. No one should be held in at this point if they want out.

#826 5 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Get a lawyer and you can get a refund. But first ask nicely in writing. Refunds are available when a contract is breached. No one should be held in at this point if they want out.

I know there is raza people looking for refunds. Is anyone on mg looking for one? I think there's a waiting list on that

#827 5 years ago

I am feeling way better today in light of JPOPS recent blog posts/pics. I can honestly say after everything that has transpired in the last 48 hours that if John offered to refund my money on RAZA I would decline! I'm staying in and have renewed faith in the project.
The game will be worth the wait IMHO.
Big thanks to all the owners for standing together and basically speaking to John with one voice on this, I am confident that he got the message.

#828 5 years ago

I am gonna stay in as well. But anyone who wants out should not feel held hostage IMHO.

#829 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am feeling way better today in light of JPOPS recent blog posts/pics. I can honestly say after everything that has transpired in the last 48 hours is that if John offered to refund my money on RAZA I would decline! I'm staying in and have renewed faith in the project.
Big thanks to all the owners for standing together and basically speaking to John with one voice on this, I am confident that he got the message.

I will agree as well. I haven't had time to go though my owners blog emails yet, but when I woke up this morning and saw 25 new messages and posts from the blog overnight I got the impression that our concerns were received. PDX's post above with the MG playfield pic seems to be a show good will from John as well. If things can stay on this course I think we'll all be happy in the coming months.

Big thanks to all the owners for voicing concerns and keeping it civil, and huge kudos to JPOP for stepping up.

#830 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I will agree as well. I haven't had time to go though my owners blog emails yet, but when I woke up this morning and saw 25 new messages and posts from the blog overnight I got the impression that our concerns were received. PDX's post above with the MG playfield pic seems to be a show good will from John as well. If things can stay on this course I think we'll all be happy in the coming months.
Big thanks to all the owners for voicing concerns and keeping it civil, and huge kudos to JPOP for stepping up.

I think the concerns were delivered loud and clear. It's just NOT personal, John is a great guy that in my opinion, and others, needed a come to jesus (TBL) kick in the ass.

Afterwards, we can all get on the same page and hug it out! I love the PASSION!

And if somebody wants out they shouldn't have to feel locked in. I'm in but others may still want to go.

#831 5 years ago

So on the hypothetical "LLC" issue. I probably set up a dozen or so a month for small business owners.

What goes along with that is about an 8 page Memorandum on "How to operate an LLC"

The key to asset protection is following the corporate formalities. Do most people? Some do, many don't. Has John? Too busy? Piercing the corporate veil may not be that difficult if you don't follow the rules such as annual meetings and NOT paying personal expenses out of your corp account, etc.

If you do things properly, in Texas, all a lawsuit is going to get you is what's called a "charging order" against the person's ownership %. The right to receive the profits and losses of the partnership or sole proprietorship usually.

Why don't I as a creditor want a "charging order"? Because the owner can choose to NOT make profit payments out of the business and retain them inside of the LLC. Guess what, the creditor then gets the K-1, has to pay the income tax on those profits and the creditor never even received a dime to pay them! Used properly, it is a GREAT asset protection tool.

Realistically, nobody should be suing anybody. Most of the time its only the lawyers that win.

All that said, onward and upward guys!

#832 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

recover whatever may be around (if anything).

Would be worth it just to get the art and patents for these projects, IMO.

There's his motivation to get er' done....and if he does, I am gonna be so pissed I'm not in on AIW.

#833 5 years ago

Is there still a website for the machines?

http://www.zidware.com/welcome.html takes you to the Zidware site, but "pinball games" is not 'clickable'

I am a JPop fan and supporter, but I cna not afford his machines. I just found it odd there were no links any longer. Maybe they have just moved?

Chris

#834 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am feeling way better today in light of JPOPS recent blog posts/pics. I can honestly say after everything that has transpired in the last 48 hours is that if John offered to refund my money on RAZA I would decline! I'm staying in and have renewed faith in the project.

I'm glad that you guys lit a fire under John's butt, and that he has responded in a way to make you happy.

But from someone who was formerly in on this, and now looking in from the outside, my 2 cents at this point is that you guys should all be getting a new schedule with dates for production milestones to be completed.

This was done in the original packet/contract, and those dates obviously no longer apply. Get a new schedule from JPop. He's almost 3 years in, he should be able to give a much more accurate schedule at this point. This would help keep his feet to the fire, knowing that he has to have certain things accomplished by a certain point.

Otherwise, you guys are all still in the exact same boat that you were before, and we could be having this same conversation again next year.

Maybe he did give a new production schedule in his recent blog posts? If so, that would be great news.

#835 5 years ago

SilverUnicorn: http://www.pinballinventor.org/games.html

He (I'd assume it's him) is also posting on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pinball-Inventor/

#836 5 years ago

WOW.. well with that ALL being said anyone who wants in on RAZA PM me please! thanks!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raza-spot-for-saletakeover

#837 5 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

WOW.. well with that ALL being said anyone who wants in on RAZA PM me please! thanks!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/raza-spot-for-saletakeover

If it was a mg I could have helped u

#838 5 years ago

I'm with RobT. That was a nice jpop post and I'm pulling for you guys. I just hope that doesnt buy a year of silence. He needs to give you guys a schedule and update on milestones

#839 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I'm with RobT. That was a nice jpop post and I'm pulling for you guys. I just hope that doesnt buy a year of silence. He needs to give you guys a schedule and update on milestones

Ya, u guys should have more then the one shot we saw. It doesn't have to be released to us. But u guys in the private sector lol should have a full blown show down regardless if its done

#840 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm glad that you guys lit a fire under John's butt, and that he has responded in a way to make you happy.
But from someone who was formerly in on this, and now looking in from the outside, my 2 cents at this point is that you guys should all be getting a new schedule with dates for production milestones to be completed.
This was done in the original packet/contract, and those dates obviously no longer apply. Get a new schedule from JPop. He's almost 3 years in, he should be able to give a much more accurate schedule at this point. This would help keep his feet to the fire, knowing that he has to have certain things accomplished by a certain point.
Otherwise, you guys are all still in the exact same boat that you were before, and we could be having this same conversation again next year.
Maybe he did give a new production schedule in his recent blog posts? If so, that would be great news.

I responded on his blog that I'm still waiting for the answer to my questions, and will continue to ask him those questions. Yes, I would agree, I didn't want his response to buy time yet not address the underlying issues.

I also suggested he post an "Ask Me Anything" on his blog, promise to answer every question, and clear the air.

#841 5 years ago

John posted this on facebook today:

a new term I learned.....""The Lebowski Effect" - the outcome of showing a new game concept, exactly and early on it's it's entirety to the masses to create surprise, comradery and extreme happiness"

I think he gets it.

#842 5 years ago

and he's spelling lebowski correctly now !

#843 5 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

John posted this on facebook today:
a new term I learned.....""The Lebowski Effect" - the outcome of showing a new game concept, exactly and early on it's it's entirety to the masses to create surprise, comradery and extreme happiness"
I think he gets it.

So he's basically saying he hiding it from u longer and waiting till its done to show u... Am I wrong or is that the interpretation? How is that good for u guys

#844 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Agree 1000% and been saying it over and over. A schedule right now is very MEANINGFUL.

Sure, initially, who could know the hurdles.

However, isn't it better to have a timeline and adjust it as things change rather than letting people simply fill in the gaps themselves after all this time! We've just seen the outcome of that fiasco.

I could care less about actually seeing anything anymore, a living breathing timeline is all we need.

Honestly, one of the reasons I jumped in on RAZA early on is the fact that John had a schedule and appeared to have his shit together.

For me and many others, I think John realizes there is no more "buying silence" and that things have to change. We'll see.

#845 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

So he's basically saying he hiding it from u longer and waiting till its done to show u... Am I wrong or is that the interpretation? How is that good for u guys

That was always part of his process, to treat us as kids at Christmas time. If there was any merit to that, it went out the window when the original deadlines were passed.

If someone wants to be a kid at Christmas, they can choose not to read the blog. To force us to be children is.... childish.

#846 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I took it to mean that he saw how well the Lebowski reveal, with bare bones code, was received and realizes that he should show more sooner. I guess we will see.

#847 5 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I took it to mean that he saw how well the Lebowski reveal, with bare bones code, was received and realizes that he should show more sooner. I guess we will see.

Ahh I get ya.. Cool hopefully that's what he meant

#848 5 years ago

What I think about TBL effect, is that DP had a game and showed it, they were not scared others would copy. Also they knew it was good and so let it speak for itself.

John should take a lesson. All the time he doesn't show anything either in public like the expo or in private on the blog makes it seem like he doesn't have anything to show or he's not confident in his effort in relation to the competition.

I think this quote from the movie 'The Gumball Rally' is appropriate:

image-144.jpg

#849 5 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't be satisfied with that response, especially the bullshit fisheye photo. That's just proof he has no plans to do anything about all the heat. And, based on the responses here (other than frolic, who seems to get it), he's totally right. You all swallowed it whole.

Ask yourself, how could anyone who has been in pinball for "33" years (I question the validity of that number given his first game was in 1994) be so far behind? Either incompetence, which I find hard to believe, or indecision and noodling. The simplest reason is the latter.

He could solve this easily by just *showing the damn game* without the closeups or fisheye nonsense. Just *show your progress*. Problem solved.

But to him, there's no problem. He's already got all your money, and you're all scared of him. He's got zero motivation to finish these games, or reveal anything.

Perhaps a lawyer's letter might help light a fire under him. Clearly logic and reason don't work.

#850 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

John should take a lesson. All the time he doesn't show anything either in public like the expo or in private on the blog makes it seem like he doesn't have anything to show or he's not confident in his effort in relation to the competition.

In the past I've had some long conversations with John. I'm not arguing for or against this, but it's what John told me. First, when it comes to something like a pinball machine, people look at it and form an opinion in about 30 seconds, and it sticks. It takes no time at all for an idea to get shit on. It doesn't matter that it's not fully formed or that it's just a glimpse of a great future vision. This is one reason why John shares little glimpses of things or mostly - nothing at all. You'll see it when it's done. The only way to ensure that you're not judged on your incomplete idea is to not share it until it's totally done.

Also, he told me, design is cut throat. You share a neat idea with someone close to you and next thing you know it's getting tweeted to the world. Which is fine on a fully finished product or something coming out in a month. But if it's part of a whole system that won't be ready for 18 months or more, it gives competitors (friendly or not) a lot of time to reproduce and release their own version of your neat idea. It really burns to be scooped by someone who copied your idea.

These are things that I was told by John, and I think they're safe to share. I hope the shed a little light on why he's not posting monthly progress photos or doing ustreams of his shop.

Some designers are an open book, for some excellent reasons, and they thrive that way. Some designers play it all very close to the vest, for some excellent reasons, and that's the way they work.

But it's been a long time and it may be time to spend some of the "cool idea" capital at this point in order to restore the faith. But that's my own opinion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside