(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 165 of 487.
#8201 4 years ago

I dunno, there's probably still plenty of Popaduik apologists that he could go to a show and walk around fine. But he won't be able to do presentations or sign stuff without someone throwing a tomato at him.

The only logical thing I could see happen is that after all this finally comes to a close, whomever ends up with the MG prototypes could arrange for someone to finish them and get them playable. Then there will be three MG prototypes worth $50K or whatever. Otherwise no one is ever seeing this game, period.

What's probably the most irksome is that he won't even care, because he lives in his own bubble world where everyone else is to blame for his issues and he's the world's best pinball designer.

Great. Harm.

#8202 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Not really. I will help anyone I can. I tend to trust people when I shouldn't.

One of my favorite movie quotes of all time from The Thing:

MacReady: How you doin’, old boy?
Dr. Blair: I don’t know who to trust.
MacReady: I know what you mean, Blair. Trust’s a tough thing to come by these days. Tell you what. . .why don’t you just trust in the Lord?

the_thing.jpg
#8203 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Where are the buyers who live near his shop??? If I lived closer I would be at his shop demanding answers, does he still show up at the shop every day?

Seriously I feel for all of you with a financial investment here, but has anyone stopped by his shop, any pinsider, and if not, why not?! If I was withing 200 miles I'd go there and ask questions and I have zero financial investment.

#8204 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

What's probably the most irksome is that he won't even care, because he lives in his own bubble world where everyone else is to blame for his issues and he's the world's best pinball designer.

Just remember...if he had not had to waste all of that time and resources battling all of us Pinsiders, these games would have been done eon's ago.

#8205 4 years ago

Some on this thread have seen his shop. Ice? Redeyes? Others?

Don't know the exact results but some seemed to think it had a chance at some point.

I don't know who has visited the workshop in the past 90 days.

#8206 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

And herein lies the problem.

#8207 4 years ago

#8208 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

pdxmonkey

#8209 4 years ago

JPOP as your friend how are you letting this happen post something on the group for the owners or address them; you are doing the totally wrong thing at this time for owners. NOT COOL

#8210 4 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

! If I was withing 200 miles I'd go there and ask questions and I have zero financial investment.

The problem is that if you visit the shop, you get hypnotized and leave singing Jpoop's praises.

#8211 4 years ago

The whole shop visitors thing is strange. How can there be such a disconnect with what the visitors have been telling us, and where we are today? Is John literally that good and describing how things will work, that people were ok with not actually seeing it? How in the world can machines have been described as "near complete" 6 months ago?

The proof is in the pudding, and John has no pudding.

#8212 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The whole shop visitors thing is strange. How can there be such a disconnect with what the visitors have been telling us, and where we are today? Is John literally that good and describing how things will work, that people were ok with not actually seeing it? How in the world can machines have been described as "near complete" 6 months ago?
The proof is in the pudding, and John has no pudding.

I'm guessing there are a lot of neat things to look at with stuff all over the place so it's probably pretty impressive to a newcomer. Artwork all over the place, little mechanisms here and there, 3D printer printing off some plastic pieces, cool hinges, piles of foam core, prototype electronics boards stacked on a shelf, a KISS pinball machine made out of paper. John probably doesn't let anyone focus on one thing... probably shows them around and always distracts them with small items of interest.

What is needed is for someone to visit the shop and take a close look at MG and RAZA. Then return a few months later and take a close look at the progress on MG and RAZA. Not get sidetracked with all the glitz and glam.

#8213 4 years ago

He won't let anyone in who isn't 100% committed to him. And talking about it means you get left out of the insider club.

#8214 4 years ago

I guess Nemo has not shipped either (yet). that was another pin with limit of 30. I don't recall exactly how much it cost, but let's say $8000 x 30 = $240K

How was Nemo able to have a flipping game 3 years ago, and John still can not show one with 5x as much cash collected?

I keep going back to Spooky, Ben and Charley who were able to deliver pins (AMH) with less inside experience in the pinball industry, less time and less money.?

It reminds me of the TV show Cheers.

[Diane is tending bar and, inexperienced, is trying to make a Bloody Mary. Carla is watching in interest]

Diane Chambers: A lot of ingredients in a Bloody Mary, Sam.

Sam Malone: Yeah, I know. That's why we usually mix up five gallons and put it in the refrigerator beforehand.

Sam Malone: How come you're doing this, Carla? Why did you let her do it?

Carla Tortelli: I wanted to see her try and make vodka.

The point is, there is hundreds of off the shelf parts and controllers that is the dirty work for most of pinball machines is already done (look at Wooly and Predator) these guys aren't trying to make a whole pinball industrial complex from scratch, neither is Spooky. They are trying to build a few dozen or hundred pins. Jpop kind of got off track by trying to make everything custom from scratch which is duplicating tons of work that's already been done.

#8215 4 years ago

Heard he's working on a new leg leveler as we speak that's going to blow the lid off the entire industry, said he couldn't send me a picture until the patent work was done....

#8216 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I guess Nemo has not shipped either (yet). that was another pin with limit of 30. I don't recall exactly how much it cost, but let's say $8000 x 30 = $240K
How was Nemo able to have a flipping game 3 years ago, and John still can not show one with 5x as much cash collected?

Must have been able to build a flipping whitewood because they were charging only 1/3 the price, looks like it was ~ $5,600 to get in on Nemo (which as you say does not appear to have shipped yet):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-nemo-by-quetzal-pinball/page/2#post-468307

#8217 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Must have been able to build a flipping whitewood because they were charging only 1/3 the price, looks like it was ~ $5,600 to get in on Nemo (which as you say does not appear to have shipped yet):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-nemo-by-quetzal-pinball/page/2#post-468307

part of the reason I was afraid to get in on Nomo (although it looks very fun and beautiful) was being out of country as well as after delivery support. As we saw with WoZ and XMLE sometimes a critical component fails and it's not like you can go to Marco and buy a XMLE aux board (maybe you can, but what if it was Nemo or MG, I was leary if there could be an issue that you absolutely need support from and I was not sure of these start up companies). I kind of took a chance with Jpop but that has not even got far enough to have an after sale issue (we'd be lucky at this point to have a problem with a shipped pin).

#8218 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

MARK: Working with others is essential, unless you are a going it alone.

smokey.jpg
#8219 4 years ago

Hey, leave Rob Ford out of this! No, actually, that was perfect!

#8220 4 years ago

The biggest thing that doesn't jive for me is the reporting by people visiting his shop. In a sea of negativity and concern over John's progress, it was a single ray of hope. Suggesting maybe things were ok after all, often claiming John had working whitewoods and reporting that he was close to going into production. Who would post such things and go on about how great things were coming along when they obviously weren't? Were they not able to see past John's sales pitch or were they just being malicious? Nobody reported any issues or concerns, and that is pure crap. When people are vouching for things and claiming everything was going to be worth the wait and that they were staying in, how could others dispute it? Everybody chalked it up to the notion that once it is done it will be great, without anyone ever seeing anything great, just some assemblies that showed well and nice artwork. While I feel John is 100% responsible for this epic fail, these cheerleaders allowed John's sham to continue unabated. In the end it didn't effect the outcome but probably delayed the showdown by a year, and that is unacceptable.

#8221 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Who would post such things and go on about how great things were coming along when they obviously weren't?

Someone has to be able to claim one of the three MG protos... Just like with the Snowden's, it's no skin off their back when the shit hits the fan, only exception in this case is they might be getting a piece of unobtainium that will skyrocket in value at the expense of the entire investor group being misled by fluffed/false information.

#8222 4 years ago

From FB: "John says time to replace these little ramp puppies with some serious plastic rampage.....on the way...!"

11060839_966373533407187_1973387271677356475_n.jpg

Can he really think that admitting he doesn't have ramps done for the game after all these years is worth broadcasting?

#8223 4 years ago

I don't know what to believe but the PF looks great.

#8224 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

From FB: "John says time to replace these little ramp puppies with some serious plastic rampage.....on the way...!"

Can he really think that admitting he doesn't have ramps done for the game after all these years is worth broadcasting?

People were complaining about the ramps just 3 days ago...

Quoted from lllvjr:

He can't afford the tooling for ramps lol

Quoted from fastpinball:

We even offered to take care of his vacuum form ramp needs. Dammit. Why do I keep reading this thread?

He's obviously reading this thread.

#8225 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't know what to believe but the PF looks great.

image.jpg

#8226 4 years ago

Having real vacuumed formed ramps would be good news. It would show something is actually progressing. Enough to sooth everyone? No, not in and of itself but at least it some progress where there was none.

#8227 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

11060839_966373533407187_1973387271677356475_n.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

And there's PDXmonkey...with his face right in the game....yet - SO SILENT.

#8228 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I keep going back to Spooky, Ben and Charley who were able to deliver pins (AMH) with less inside experience in the pinball industry, less time and less money.?
It reminds me of the TV show Cheers.

The point is, there is hundreds of off the shelf parts and controllers that is the dirty work for most of pinball machines is already done (look at Wooly and Predator) these guys aren't trying to make a whole pinball industrial complex from scratch, neither is Spooky. They are trying to build a few dozen or hundred pins. Jpop kind of got off track by trying to make everything custom from scratch which is duplicating tons of work that's already been done.

The difference is, If you go to Spooky's shop, which I picked up my AMH a few weeks ago, there is art, parts, and 3d printed prototype stuff, and boxes and boxes from Terry with coils, pops, hardware of all types - etc. same as probably Zidware HQ. And it is a wonderland to a newbie.

BUT... in the other room are games in boxes, games being put together, and games in test (about 3 a week). Mine was sitting in the test area and all cleaned up ready to go . The minions put it in the van and off I go. That's the difference! Games in boxes.

Jpop is a dreamer not a builder. I'm afraid that is all buyers will get - dreams and not builds.

#8229 4 years ago

Is this real life?
Is the "..." a loophole so he's not legally responsible for false claims?

#8230 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Having real vacuumed formed ramps would be good news. It would show something is actually progressing

You're implying he's actually getting vacuum formed ramps, how do we know it's not another prototype ramp built from glueing sheets of clear plastic together like he did before?
magic_girl_glued_Ramps.jpg

#8231 4 years ago

"Gonna’ get back on more blogging, 2 times a week" 4/21/2015 Last sighting on the blog

Back in January, the new "project manager" John tried to pay with buying him lunch and some gas money told me there were several other projects he had been working on off in some other room. Lower cost EM prototypes that he was planning to roll out as well.

He built those with our money and wasted all that time like with the ridiculous Kiss mock up.

This guy wasn't doing the ooh and ahhh dance after spending time at the office, he was just floored by the overwhelming amount of tasks that still needed to be done to finish these pins.

Lunch and gas money didn't do it for him.

#8232 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So that photo was taken when he "played magic girl"? 6 months after playing the "near complete" version?

#8233 4 years ago

Before anyone gets too excited about the announcement that plastic ramps are coming soon, they have been coming soon since January.

Any day now

#8235 4 years ago

Here's something to consider - maybe the best "least worst" option with Zidware is he ditches 2 games and rolls everyone into whatever game is most finished?

All other problem aside, software is the deal-breaker in this scenario. Even assuming final hardware, you're talking 80k for a programmer to spend a year making a game people want to play. TIMES THREE GAMES. (and that's not even considering art / sound / dots)

"Oh but someone will program because they love pinball". BS. As the world's leading authority in Hobbies Becoming Jobs, no matter how much you love something, if it consumes a disproportionate amount of your time, you're going to want cash for it to make it worth your while.

What probably happens with John, is he finds somebody willing to code "for the experience" (free) But when that person realizes the soul-sucking hell that coding really is, they ask for money, and that's when John balks. (see also: other Zidware jobs)

If he was just making ONE game (which should have been his goal originally) these one-time costs would be lower. Instead of finding coding/art for RAZA and AIW, he just needs it for MG.

RAZA/AIW buyers get MG instead of nothing.

Could that be an acceptable solution?

#8236 4 years ago

To slightly change the subject, is anybody else really not that into the lighting on these games? It's all colored LED's for GI when I think you'd get a lot more light out of white LED's for GI at least in some places.

Some folks have been showing the KISS machine he did, in some of the KISS threads, and it's the same thing, there's so much colored LED's that it makes all the artwork lose it's contrast.

Probably easy to fix, but I was just wondering if people prefer that look over a more traditional way of lighting it...

#8237 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I guess Nemo has not shipped either (yet).

Nope but that should be very, very, soon...
The last non standard piece of equipment that had to be custom made was finally delivered to Antonio a few days ago.

Quoted from rai:

that was another pin with limit of 30. I don't recall exactly how much it cost, but let's say $8000 x 30 = $240K

Slight correction:
- Nemo's planned run was 30, but the actual number of sold units is 14. I hope for him he will be able to sell the remaining 16 once the first batch is delivered.
- price was 4300 - 4425 euros (without sales tax; exact figure depends on coin door specification) around $5,000. Barely sustainable as the BOM was much higher than planned initially and Antonio had to redo / redesign / reorder a number of items - latest of them the ball trough because of non standard dimensions. Each single item that is not standard adds to cost and creates delays.
- Only a minority of the 14 buyers have paid in full. I am one of them...

So Antonio collected far, far less than $240k. JPOP did not get 5x as much cash but 25x or more. But Antonio kept his regular job - this is of course mandatory as given the figures above there was no "meat left on the bone" to get a salary. He might be making these games at a loss even then.

And yet Antonio had a flipping game as early as September 2012. I played it in Madrid. Actually, like Scott Gullick with Wooly he had a flipping game before collecting any money.

#8238 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Here's something to consider - maybe the best "least worst" option with Zidware is he ditches 2 games and rolls everyone into whatever game is most finished?
All other problem aside, software is the deal-breaker in this scenario. Even assuming final hardware, you're talking 80k for a programmer to spend a year making a game people want to play. TIMES THREE GAMES. (and that's not even considering art / sound / dots)
"Oh but someone will program because they love pinball". BS. As the world's leading authority in Hobbies Becoming Jobs, no matter how much you love something, if it consumes a disproportionate amount of your time, you're going to want cash for it to make it worth your while.
What probably happens with John, is he finds somebody willing to code "for the experience" (free) But when that person realizes the soul-sucking hell that coding really is, they ask for money, and that's when John balks. (see also: other Zidware jobs)
If he was just making ONE game (which should have been his goal originally) these one-time costs would be lower. Instead of finding coding/art for RAZA and AIW, he just needs it for MG.
RAZA/AIW buyers get MG instead of nothing.
Could that be an acceptable solution?

I would open it up open source, setup a forum, charge a membership fee or a license fee for the game design, people work on code, art etc John gets the parts sourced and people assy their own custom game for the shared cost, like a kit car

I would help with the project and offer assistance and would pay $1000 for a license to use the designs, bit like pinmame or futurepin

#8239 4 years ago

LOL @ Taylor giving jpop hell in the comments section of that FB post.

image.jpg

#8241 4 years ago

I didn't even get a thread eject for it.

#8242 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

if you go back and read his PDX's posts he's obviously a shill for John.

#8243 4 years ago

Some quotes. We saw the same thing in the Predator thread from others.

(Regarding this thread wrong information spoken as facts, and just plain bullshit is sickening.

Three prototypes are near complete too

I think the progress he's made since last year is really good.

I’m glad JPOP respects us not to BS us.

there's multiple MG in existence

John calls me back within 24 hours everytime if he doesn't pick up when I call.

Do you believe all the cases are legitimate?
Cause I'm not even sure GLM's case is legitimate.

I'm very optimistic about MG and RAZA

No lies from me

I played MG the last two days.
That wasn't a lie.

#8244 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Expo Cabinets
There was a few people in the online world disappointed that john brought two cabinets to expo rather than a prototype of MG.
Comparing just cabinets in the pinball world, this might be the nicest cabinet made for a production game ever.
The design and space is huge and really rad with the LCD placement. There is a lot of custom stainless steel on that bad boy.
The mounted transformer in the cab is really big and beautiful.
The head design is retro yet modern, very neato design.
I'm glad he made an entirely new design versus the Williams cabs that I think all the other companies have followed more or less. This innovation takes time and money. It's this high level of craftsmanship that John is striving for throughout his entire game!
Hopefully John can continue his passion and be able to create pinball for us and everyone to enjoy.
I know john is really proud of his new cabinets so it must have stung if he reads the online threads but the most vocally upset people haven't seen the cab in person! Ironic. Once people didn't see a playfeild in there they immediately dismissed the cabinet.
I have seen the cabinet, it is really awesome, IMO of course.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Yes there is also a RAZA whitewood

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Honestly i was worried before taking the tour, but I think the progress he's made since last year is really good.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

On a different related note:
You know the worst experience I had with my WOZ order from JJP?
It was him telling me you’ll have your game by the end of the summer 2012, summer goes by, winter goes too. In the spring time 2013 I ask Jack, in person again, when is the game shipping? He answers end of summer. Summer comes and goes, winter as well. Spring time 2014 comes again I ask Jen this time she tells me next couple of months. I sell my game and Im leary of JJP. Im a patient person but I don’t like being brushed off with deadlines that are made up.
*****I’m glad JPOP respects us not to BS us.
Dates are nice but if they can’t realistically be meet why make them?

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

1.) utter failure is nothing...there's multiple MG in existence
behind schedule yes, utter failure hell no that would be like saying JJP was an utter failure two years ago.
2.) I dunno about your case but John calls me back within 24 hours everytime if he doesn't pick up when I call. Perhaps he didn't care for your tone of questions?
3.) Long road with lots of work, salesman probably isn't his biggest priority at the moment.
4.) I agree with you this news is troubling at the surface. I'm curios to know more like what the scope of work GLM is referring to and if it will impact the production games or if Zidware decided to not use them and went with a different part supplier. Time will tell but I hope both parties can reach a positive outcome.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Wow
The amount of negativity, wrong information spoken as facts, and just plain bullshit is sickening.
DRAIN topic
Good luck ladies and gents

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Sorry to hear a few owners of the games are very unhappy at the moment.
I talked to John about this a few weeks ago in person and hopefully he tries to correct that.
Can't really defend his business practices but I'm still on board for some zidware games.
I have notice between all my visits that work is definitely being done and it's also being done to an extremely high level of quality. I don't think he just does the fun stuff, a lot of his process looks extremely tedious, such as the cabling on cad and documenting everything.
Just my 2 cents

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I'm very optimistic about MG and RAZA

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I played MG the last two days.
That wasn't a lie.

#8245 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Not the worst idea. Seeing how incomplete Magic Girl is, RAZA would be a complete nightmare, and Alice.... well..... there's some cardboard sitting in the shop.

I personally would move my raza deposit to a MG if offered, just to get off this shit train.

#8246 4 years ago

How does John not have the real ramps on Magic Girl yet; just not good unsure what he is doing or thinking; he had those same piece of junk ramps on it two years ago.

#8247 4 years ago

Just shows how in the clouds John is. That somehow announcing he's ordering the first set of ramps for his game was somehow a big deal and not completely embarrassing.

#8248 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

- Nemo's planned run was 30, but the actual number of sold units is 14. I hope for him he will be able to sell the remaining 16 once the first batch is delivered.
- price was 4300 - 4425 euros (without sales tax; exact figure depends on coin door specification) around $5,000. Barely sustainable as the BOM was much higher than planned initially and Antonio had to redo / redesign / reorder a number of items - latest of them the ball trough because of non standard dimensions. Each single item that is not standard adds to cost and creates delays.

Now that I've seen the final package I want one of those other 16. Wasn't all that interested initially though which is why I didn't go in on the first batch.

#8250 4 years ago

What ever the facts are ... Lack of communication kills a business.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 165 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside