(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 487.
#8051 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The money problems were probably clear to John more than a year ago when he stopped paying his programmer, and other vendors like GLM were getting stiffed. So he kept up the facade that everything was great, he was going to do his "reveals", we were a bunch of whiny customers who don't appreciate that art takes time, meanwhile he was living a lie.

The real question is when did he stop paying himself? He had to know about 18 months ago he had no path to manufacturing and not enough money to outsource it to JJP or Stern to build.

I think Ben is correct in his view that JPop had been waiting for a buyout and/or job for a long time and that was the only way these games would be made.

Quoted from YKpinballer:

John knows it is over. He's not talking like Kevin wasn't talking once predator blew up. There's nothing left to say, just time to GTFO of dodge. The only people who don't know it's over is a couple extreme optimists in this thread.

Of this I have no doubt. John is now likely scared he will be sued and disgorged of some or all of the salary he paid himself. His personal path forward now will be to make like a turtle and hide out till the heat and anger cools down. His reputation is already shot, his advisors will likely tell him not to make any more statements and he will likely never announce the project is dead.

Expect JPop in two or three years to still be saying he plans to "make these games one day soon"...does that sound familiar to any of you old timers (we all had an Austrialian friend who once pulled this with MM...).

#8052 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

What would you get out of this? The KISS slide show from MGC 2014 and some Magic Girl animations?

You'll find his patent application for "Spherical ice-based object residing in extremely high-temperature environment".

#8053 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

his advisors will likely tell him not...

How delightfully optimistic of you.

outlooknotsogood.jpg

#8054 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The real question is when did he stop paying himself? He had to know about 18 months ago he had no path to manufacturing and not enough money to outsource it to JJP or Stern to build.
I think Ben is correct in his view that JPop had been waiting for a buyout and/or job for a long time and that was the only way these games would be made.

Of this I have no doubt. John is now likely scared he will be sued and disgorged of some or all of the salary he paid himself. His personal path forward now will be to make like a turtle and hide out till the heat and anger cools down. His reputation is already shot, his advisors will likely tell him not to make any more statements and he will likely never announce the project is dead.

Unfortunately, there is a benefit to hunkering down and waiting. In a bankruptcy case, the reach-back period for avoidance actions against preference payments to insiders is 1 year prior to the petition date, so each day that goes by before a petition is filed, more and more potential preference payments fall outside of that one-year window.

#8055 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The real question is when did he stop paying himself?

There was never enough money for him to draw a salary, and it could very well be the case he never did.

#8056 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

You'll find his patent application for "Spherical ice-based object residing in extremely high-temperature environment".

Anyone want to estimate how much customer money John spent on patents these past 4 years?

#8057 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

There was never enough money for him to draw a salary, and it could very well be the case he never did.

He's stated more than once he was drawing a salary...just never said how much.

$150,000 per year is my guess, the delays helped him to make more money salary wise (as the years turned by) than he ever would have made in profits had he actually made the machines as manufacturing would have ate up the cash he was able to otherwise push to himself in the form of salary.

#8058 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Unfortunately, there is a benefit to hunkering down and waiting. In a bankruptcy case, the reach-back period ......

How long is the "reach around" period?

rd.

#8059 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Anyone want to estimate how much customer money John spent on patents these past 4 years?

I don't know if this is true but I believe his IP attorney was not working at market level rates (he posts in this thread by the way, perhaps he would care to share). I don't think JPop will be able to say "the lawyers made all the money"...as his IP guy was working for free or at reduced rates...

#8060 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

He filed only 2 patents in the last 4 years:
https://www.google.com/search?q=popadiuk&biw=1393&bih=823&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Cptsdt%3Aa%2Ccd_min%3A2%2F2%2F2011%2Ccd_max%3A5%2F5%2F2015&tbm=pts#tbs=cdr%2Cptsdt:a%2Ccd_min:2%2F2%2F2011%2Ccd_max:5%2F5%2F2015&tbm=pts&q=popadiuk+pinball

It only costs $500 to file yourself. Most of the patent filing cost is paying a patent attorney to write a description (and do patent searching if you desire, many just file and let the patent office do the searching. If it exists, worst case they reject it). In any case, an amateur patent attorney is cheap (and I believe his attorney was working pro-bono for a machine.. that he's never going to get)

I would be far more concerned with what he spent on capital equipment, rent, heat, electricity, contracted artwork from zombie yeti

#8061 4 years ago

To me the "real" cost of the patents is the TIME spent on them. I believe StevenP when he says he did it for little money.

John tells us over and over again he's there 7x14, for 4+ years now. He's got no machines to show us, so all that time was spent spinning his wheels doing other stuff, like patents.

Useless patents that he can't even afford to defend. What a waste.

#8062 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

he's there 7x14, for 4+ years now

Which is 20,384 hours. Imagine how many hours he's going to have to work to pay everyone back? $900,000 divided by $10/hour = 90,000 hours. If he continues to work at this pace, he should have everyone paid back in 17.6 years if he doesn't draw a salary for himself.

#8063 4 years ago

John paid himself a salary. Per him. Don't know how much.

StevenP did work pro bono per him. I believe him.

John should be ashamed of himself.

I played SM, AC/DC, Roadshow, Whitewater and TWD tonight and not done yet! I love pinball and the genius of these guys that get it done. RS is a mind blower!!! Can't wait to see what Lawlor has in store with JJP.

It's all good.

#8064 4 years ago

If only JPOP could find a programmer that would pay him(John) to code the games.

#8065 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Unfortunately, there is a benefit to hunkering down and waiting. In a bankruptcy case, the reach-back period for avoidance actions against preference payments to insiders is 1 year prior to the petition date, so each day that goes by before a petition is filed, more and more potential preference payments fall outside of that one-year window.

Exactly correct.

And this is why I have said at least a couple times in this thread over the last few months that if people are going to file suit eventually, sooner is definitely better than later.

#8066 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

How long is the "reach around" period?

rd.

Not long enough.

#8067 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

RS is a mind blower!!!

Told ya!

#8068 4 years ago

From day one I mocked the whole patent BS. Sorry Steve but ZERO chance of defending anything.

Even Rick the Dick, good luck prosecuting anything

There is something wrong when some amazing voice work can't get done on Whitewater because of Rick. I will NEVER buy shit from him

#8069 4 years ago

It's F ing genius!!!

Yeah, shameless John the Dick hunkered down too. Just nothing to get. We all waited too long, the red flags were there two years ago

I was too busy being an idiot supporter and losing beer bets to RD instead of cracking down

#8070 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I was too busy being an idiot supporter and losing beer bets to RD instead of cracking down

Not to be too much of a giant cock (this is a little cockish though, I admit it) I do think it's funny that a couple years ago I would get 30 downvotes for saying something about how the Jpop stuff didn't feel right to me. Then fast forward two years, I say the exact same things, and I get 30 upvotes.

It's hard when you're caught up in the excitement to see the context. I experience that myself for a brief period with TBL.

After Jpop, after Predator, I just think we should be better about not trying to shout down skeptics. Sure, some of them are jerks and trolls. But look past that and try and look at the arguments, some people might be pointing out uncomfortable truths.

#8071 4 years ago
#8072 4 years ago
#8073 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not to be too much of a giant cock (this is a little cockish though, I admit it) I do think it's funny that a couple years ago I would get 30 downvotes for saying something about how the Jpop stuff didn't feel right to me. Then fast forward two years, I say the exact same things, and I get 30 upvotes.
It's hard when you're caught up in the excitement to see the context. I experience that myself for a brief period with TBL.
After Jpop, after Predator, I just think we should be better about not trying to shout down skeptics. Sure, some of them are jerks and trolls. But look past that and try and look at the arguments, some people might be pointing out uncomfortable truths.

#8074 4 years ago
#8075 4 years ago

I wonder with Stern's KISS pin announcement that there's going to be jimmies rustled. A tongue reveal!

#8076 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I wonder with Stern's KISS pin announcement that there's going to be jimmies rustled. A tongue reveal!

nope

#8077 4 years ago

I meant as in Jpop's own personal jimmies getting rustled.

#8078 4 years ago

Anyone scheduled to attend JPop's Pinball designing class? Looks like " class is in session" May 14 - May 17 with payment only via bank wire and / or check ( i.e., no recourse for consumer ).

There's even a link for student conduct...NDA included. With all that's going on, is John still actually trying to facilitate these classes?

http://www.pinballschool.org/enroll.html

Pinball Workshop Class FeePinball Workshop Class Fee - $1,895.00 ( for four days )

Item number: PDW008Item price: $1,895.00

#8079 4 years ago
Quoted from AliciaC:

Anyone scheduled to attend JPop's Pinball designing class? Looks like " class is in session" May 14 - May 17 with payment only via bank wire and / or check ( i.e., no recourse for consumer ).
There's even a link for student conduct...NDA included. With all that's going on, is John still actually trying to facilitate these classes?
http://www.pinballschool.org/enroll.html
Pinball Workshop Class FeePinball Workshop Class Fee - $1,895.00 ( for four days )
Item number: PDW008Item price: $1,895.00

I like the business course better, its only $18.95 and it comes with 3D glasses in 6 to 8 weeks!

#8080 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

It's funny because the hand drawn art was the big "sell" on jpop's Kiss, but Stern has a great answer to that with hiring the original Bally artist. And the Stern game has a big Gene head, and ramps, and a cool magnet trick, and most importantly will be available to buy mid-2015, and for thousands of dollars less than any jpop game.

#8081 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's funny because the hand drawn art was the big "sell" on jpop's Kiss, but Stern has a great answer to that with hiring the original Bally artist. And the Stern game has a big Gene head, and ramps, and a cool magnet trick, and most importantly will be available to buy mid-2015, and for thousands of dollars less than any jpop game.

and Stern has a license.

#8082 4 years ago

Is there a cliff notes version for someone that doesn't want to read 162 pages? I'm assuming it's another "I'm an asshole and stole peoples' money" story? I was just curious if this had gotten further with litigation / criminal proceedings than some of the other scams around here?

#8083 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Is there a cliff notes version for someone that doesn't want to read 162 pages? I'm assuming it's another "I'm an asshole and stole peoples' money" story? I was just curious if this had gotten further with litigation / criminal proceedings than some of the other scams around here?

This has not reached the level of criminal charges being brought by anyone (at least not that we know of yet). Apparently there have been legal letters sent to JPop that have thus far been ignored.

#8084 4 years ago

Did John respond to Cointaker's post on the blog?

#8085 4 years ago

IMO, it's not a criminal case. It's more a civil case. john is in breach of contract, he needs to refund money or deliver games or go bankrupt. Not sure what his fall back position is, but that seems to be his options imo.

image.jpg

#8086 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

John doesn't allow photography in his studio, and he won't let the public take photos of his backglasses at expo. Either he's hard wired to the internet, or if he is wireless he has 64-bit encryption installed on his router.

While John is quite paranoid about everyone stealing his designs and ideas, we have not seen any 'systems/network' company/person here complaining about not being paid, so accordingly, my guess is his network is not that sophisticated.

#8087 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

IMO, it's not a criminal case. It's more a civil case. john is in breach of contract, he needs to refund money or deliver games or go bankrupt. Not sure what his fall back position is, but that seems to be his options imo.
image.jpg

I agree. It would be hard to make criminal charges on JPop stick.

He will basically rely on the good faith but incompetent defense: "I meant to do what I said I would do, it just turned out I didn't know how to do it after all and by the time I realized it I used up all the money on salary and what not."

Some type of disgorgement action may work but unlike Kevin and Predator my guess is JPop will qualify to get a bankruptcy discharge.

#8088 4 years ago

Mods please retire my account.

#8089 4 years ago

The courts would have to either view he was running his business as a type of ponzi scheme or find outright fraud to consider criminal charges.

#8090 4 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Tried...wouldn't let me do it for some reason. Robin will retire it.

#8091 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Nope.

#8092 4 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

What's going on Tracelifter why retire yourself?

#8093 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Anyone want to summarize this post?

#8094 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Tried...wouldn't let me do it for some reason. Robin will retire it.

What the hell?

One of our best pinheads on Pinside is asking for his account to be retired? What the hell happened that it got to this point?

Eric, if you are reading this, I hope you will reconsider.

#8095 4 years ago

Don't retire just take a day . Been there. It will pass.

#8096 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What the hell?
One of our best pinheads on Pinside is asking for his account to be retired? What the hell happened that it got to this point?
Eric, if you are reading this, I hope you will reconsider.

I though he was being sarcastic.....oops!

#8097 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

What was the post?

#8098 4 years ago

Looks like he pulled the "wipe my posts and go home" routine, which is a shame, he was a good guy.

#8099 4 years ago

I'm not on the facebook group but a member there told me there was some video footage of magic girl posted.... of the white wood.

Same old bullshit as before, implying that the game is somewhere it isn't, that those 3 prototypes we've seen in the background were almost ready.

Quoted from frolic:

I had a legit question, if it was "near complete" 6 months ago and he played it again this week, what has changed?

So...... the answer is next to nothing. For a game that had it's "reveal" 6 months ago. Nice.

The picture posted previously of the fake town seems very apt.

blazing_saddles.jpg

#8100 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm not on the facebook group but a member there told me there was some video footage of magic girl posted.... of the white wood

I have seen the video and it was a bit of a letdown ramps are still cardbord or foam or whatever & it looked to me like they had to keep putting balls into play , as if there was no load mech. to shooter lane ? just describing what it looked like to me there were some shots of dmd scoring but I didn't see any animations as described by someone else

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chatham, MA
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside