(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 491.
#7551 9 years ago

Being self (or privately) financed always gave me confidence in Heighway. Meant there was a business plan somewhere that made sense to people.

#7552 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That ain't gonna happen, unfortunately.

I know....at the end of the day, the only person I have any reasonable control of is myself.....he is the only one who can control his end of the situation...each individual can then control how they deal with it themselves.

A very painful reality.....but to try and make sense of it or justify any reason to continue letting time slip away will only make it worse...I'm truly sorry for all those involved in this.....mark

#7553 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Being self (or privately) financed always gave me confidence in Heighway. Meant there was a business plan somewhere that made sense to people.

Exactly....I am not a naive business man....look at their business model from day one......they never implied ONCE that they needed our money to build these games, just gauging our commitment level before HE (Andrew) decided how many widgets to buy.

Same way I run my Company.....I'm not buying anything custom ordered until I have a feel of consumer commitment. This approach is very valid and is done all the time.

The preorder model got screwed when " businessmen " ( use that term very loosely) lied, AND pretty much told everyone they needed the " investor" money to build the games....polar opposite of what Andrew is doing....

#7554 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Any way, the fact that Heighway pinball will host the next UK pinball party at their place next August is a smart move and very strong positive signal - everyone visiting will be able to check the reality of their factory.

#7555 9 years ago

I think Diane Sawyer should interview Jpop. He appears quite confused too.

#7556 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

without the "scarcity", i really doubt he could have gotten people to plunk down the SIGNIFICANT price premium these were sold at...

But that is shot to hell now isn't it? I would rather the pin be made in large numbers than to not be made and lose my money.

#7557 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

But that is shot to hell now isn't it? I would rather the pin be made in large numbers than to not be made and lose my money.

Yeah, "Option A - John delivering the original promised numbers" went out the window YEARS ago when the business was hobbled by poor business decisions and lack of management. All his talk of "Ultimate Editions" with only creating a handful of machines had no basis in reality and was impossible from Day 1.

If we can get our machines delivered to us now, at the cost that they aren't as exclusive as they were when we ordered them, I think we'd consider ourselves lucky.

Because we're facing the alternatives of:

-Bankruptcy, we get nothing.

-Bankruptcy. Someone buys the pieces and produces them. We lose our money and can choose to buy it a second time from the new manufacturer. The new manufacturer will run as many numbers as they want.

#7558 9 years ago

Personally, I think it was a stupid idea to create the pin in limited numbers. The more you make the cheaper they are per unit and the more profit you make on each unit. I get that JPoop is an artsy fartsy half crazy dreamer but money is money. From reading these posts I get the feeling that JPoop does not have the business sense nor the ability to design and produce a pin and get it out the door especially in large numbers. If I were him I would go to Jack and beg him to buy my ideas and produce them. Im not proud, I do what has to be done.

#7559 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Any way, the fact that Heighway pinball will host the next UK pinball party at their place next August is a smart move and very strong positive signal - everyone visiting will be able to check the reality of their factory.

Yeah, I think it's an awesome idea too. Unlikely I'll be able to fly over there for it, I have a lot of travel already scheduled in August in the US, but I really wish I could be there to see what people think in person.

Quoted from zr11990:

Personally, I think it was a stupid idea to create the pin in limited numbers. The more you make the cheaper they are per unit and the more profit you make on each unit. I get that JPoop is an artsy fartsy half crazy dreamer but money is money.

The numbers never made any sense. 100 is generally your minimum point for things scale in a reasonable fashion. And 100 is still very limited.

#7560 9 years ago

Can someone sum up the 152 pages in a paragraph?

#7561 9 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Don't pre-order pinball machines.

#7562 9 years ago

Aurich, what do you do? You are obviously involved in some pinball project. Forgive me for not knowing or if the question is intrusive. You obviously know what you are talking about when it comes to the pinball world and just about everything else.

#7564 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Aurich, what do you do? You are obviously involved in some pinball project. Forgive me for not knowing or if the question is intrusive. You obviously know what you are talking about when it comes to the pinball world and just about everything else.

I'm the creative director for Ars Technica, and I've owned my own design company for the last 12 years, with a career in interactive consulting prior to that. I dunno that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to "everything else", but design-related stuff is my professional field, I'm reasonably informed on those topics.

Pinball is just my hobby, but I'm the creative director and artist for Heighway's upcoming pin based on the Alien movies, so I do have a certain amount of insight into what it takes to build a pin.

I've also been told that I'm an "opinionated bastard".

As far a Jpop goes, I was never in on ordering a machine, not something I was ever interested in, but I happen to know a lot of people who've been involved in one way or another. Pinball is a small community, and if you're involved in doing things for it, mods or whatever, you tend to meet and talk to a lot of like-minded folks. So I've kind of taken John's moves personally in some ways, just in that I hate to see the way he's discarded so many people who've tried to help over the years.

#7565 9 years ago

Its Ok to be a opinionated bastard when you know your shit. You seem like a pretty interesting person, I had to ask. Take care.

#7566 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've also been told that I'm an "opinionated bastard".

that's one of the things i like best about you...

#7567 9 years ago

How long has ars been around? I swear I have been reading it since the late 90's.

#7568 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

This post is a question for Zombie Yeti only because I don't think I can PM him an image.
Besides it is related to this thread in an obscure way.
I was going to have a Cameo on the RAZA playful and was given this from John as a gift of friendship.
I was completely under the impression that John drew this.
My question is did you do this piece of art or John?
Who deserves the credit?
Its still a nice gift and it does look just like me a Zombie that I am.
Thanks
OK guys sorry for the hijack.

1393862_3494027325597_374827891_n.jpg

Sorry, no room for original zombies,
he wanted more cats and borrowed IP.

Expo 301.JPGExpo 301.JPG Expo 295.JPGExpo 295.JPG Expo 300.JPGExpo 300.JPG Expo 293.JPGExpo 293.JPG 331946.jpg331946.jpg
#7570 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

How long has ars been around? I swear I have been reading it since the late 90's.

1998. I've been formally involved since 2003. We were bought by Condé Nast in 2008. That's why I know people at Wired. Spent plenty of time at both the SF and NY offices.

The Wired reporter hasn't decided if he wants to do a Jpop story or not by the way. But it's not dead. Not that it matters much at this stage.

#7571 9 years ago

U know originally when I signed up it was just 17 games... And $17k each for some reason I thought that was a good idea...there was no talk of anything else at the time

#7572 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Personally, I think it was a stupid idea to create the pin in limited numbers. The more you make the cheaper they are per unit and the more profit you make on each unit. I get that JPoop is an artsy fartsy half crazy dreamer but money is money. From reading these posts I get the feeling that JPoop does not have the business sense nor the ability to design and produce a pin and get it out the door especially in large numbers. If I were him I would go to Jack and beg him to buy my ideas and produce them. Im not proud, I do what has to be done.

At which point in the previous 7554 posts before yours did you come to this conclusion? Its quite insightful!

#7573 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Suspect that's a plane trip I'm going to have to make....

#7574 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

At which point in the previous 7554 posts before yours did you come to this conclusion? Its quite insightful!

I didn't have to read these post to think a 20 pin limit was stupid but it did not pertain to me. JPoop can do what he wants and if someone wants to give him money that is their business. If it were to have come to fruition it would have been great for the buyers.

#7575 9 years ago

Obviously there is nothing I can do to stop people from going after me legally or pressing charges at any time for anything in America, personally or in business. I have that same right to go after my critics or anyone. But certainly anything big would shutdown all work here immediately, as my time would be needed for legal items I am sure and to protect the work and pinball IP which is substantial. I probably could not afford either to hire lawyers needed. Never been sued or charged in the past “for anything”, lead a quiet (somewhat) peaceful career, so I have no experience at all, other than the attorneys make out fine financially and not all attorneys are to be “trusted” as I have learn firsthand.

Wondering if that last part is a dig at Iceman.
Hoping the owners stop taking crap from John sometime in the near future.
1) he threatens "critics" with legal action, then turns around and says he can't afford a lawyer to sue. So basically just trying to stop free speech on the internet by using empty threats.
2) Setting himself up to use the inevitable lawsuit as the scapegoat we all know he's been looking for in order to wash his hands of the project. i.e. "whoever does decide to sue me, it will be your fault the project fails and people don't get their pins!" Same as Kevin and his supporters did with the AG. Try to pass blame.
3) "I've never been sued in the past for anything" so what, you are to be trusted? Have you ever taken millions of dollars in cash from people before?

John is a delusional self-serving crook. He will never admit to wrongdoing, as his narcissistic and paranoid personality disorders do not allow him to accept he can be in the wrong. If he still had your pre-order money, he could definitely afford a lawyer to protect his IP. This should be considered an admission that the money is gone and the company is broke.

#7576 9 years ago

Thanks for clarification I was quoting another post that posted Johns letter.

To remove my name from your post just edit the first quote part (I left out the 'e' at the end of quote but put the 'e' at the end. Just on the first quote tag.

<blockquot >

#7577 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks for clarification I was quoting another post that posted Johns letter.
To remove my name from your post just edit the first quote part (I left out the 'e' at the end of quote but put the 'e' at the end. Just on the first quote tag.
<blockquot >

Too late. You're being sued already by John's imaginary attorney. Oh, wait. Scratch that. It looks like the imaginary attorney hasn't been paid.

#7578 9 years ago

What has John done the 10 years before his idea to try his skill set at being a pinball manufacturer?

#7579 9 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Goat rodeo.

#7580 9 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

What has John done the 10 years before his whiz bang idea to be a pinball manufacturer?

Don't bring whizbang into it. They actually made games.

#7581 9 years ago

already edited.

#7582 9 years ago

Interestingly, from his LinkedIn account he was mainly a teacher. First as the Director of a tehnology based collaborative exploring socially rich ideas in mobile learning, game design and education technologies for kids. Then an Adjunct Faculty for Columbia College Chicago teaching Toy Design as part of the BFA in Product Design discipline.

Before that he worked as the creative director at Zizzle Electronics, best known here for the cheap home Pinball machines.

I found it interesting he lists himself currently as Vice President of product Development for Zidware. Does that mean his wife--the only other "potential employee" is President?

#7583 9 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

Interestingly, from his LinkedIn account he was mainly a teacher. First as the Director of a tehnology based collaborative exploring socially rich ideas in mobile learning, game design and education technologies for kids. Then an Adjunct Faculty for Columbia College Chicago teaching Toy Design as part of the BFA in Product Design discipline.
Before that he worked as the creative director at Zizzle Electronics, best known here for the cheap home Pinball machines.
I found it interesting he lists himself currently as Vice President of product Development for Zidware. Does that mean his wife--the only other "potential employee" is President?

I saw that a few days ago when somebody brought up her resume and what it might qualify her for. Very interesting that he is not at the least the co-whatever.

#7584 9 years ago

Sometimes it's a strategy to list yourself as something other than president or CEO to make a company look more than a one man operation.

#7585 9 years ago

I figured it might be for when the lawsuits come, well he's just the designer

#7587 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Too late. You're being sued already by John's imaginary attorney. Oh, wait. Scratch that. It looks like the imaginary attorney hasn't been paid.

I have hired a dozen lawyers over the years to help with simple matters. One thing I've noticed is that they expect to be paid for their services, usually with a good sized amount up front and they'll let you know when to deposit more as you proceed. If you don't pay, you still have the original problem to address but added to the load is a disgruntled attorney with all your personal info and with the full weight of the law behind them.

Given John's track record of not paying vendors, his refusal to refund money as promised and the steady flow of complaints, I don't believe he has the funds to hire an attorney. Adding to the fire - John's refusal to face facts or to provide an honest assessment to buyers, legal action sounds like the only recourse to recovering part of your funds back.

#7588 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I have hired a dozen lawyers over the years to help with simple matters. One thing I've noticed is that they expect to be paid for their services, usually with a good sized amount up front and they'll let you know when to deposit more as you proceed.

Yeah, funny how that works, isn't it?

#7589 9 years ago

I just got an email from JPOP it sounds like he has a couple pinsiders there and they are "playing MG"... He said they are shooting video, hopefully it gets posted to to the blogs & Facebook soon.

#7590 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I just got an email from JPOP it sounds like he has a couple pinsiders there and they are "playing MG"... He said they are shooting video, hopefully it gets posted to to the blogs & Facebook soon.

Whether he can prove there is a working game or not, what is the point? He doesn't have the money to manufacture everyone's games, correct? So until he can provide a solution for how he plans to deliver what he promised for the price paid, who cares? He has clearly mismanaged this from the start and anyone getting false hope from this might want to temper their excitement IMO. Albeit I agree it would be nice to at least see video of how Magic Girl came together.

#7591 9 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Whether he can prove there is a working game or not, what is the point? He doesn't have the money to manufacture everyone's games, correct? So until he can provide a solution for how he plans to deliver what he promised for the price paid, who cares? He has clearly mismanaged this from the start and anyone getting false hope from this might want to temper their excitement IMO.

Ok your right "what's the point" I won't post info in this thread anymore as it has clearly upset you! I will keep any new info on the private owners group.... After all its not like this is the "JPOP update thread"

#7592 9 years ago

just got an email from JPOP it sounds like he has a couple pinsiders there and they are "playing MG"

Best case: He switched back to PROC and programmed new code from scratch
Worst case: He moved the the hardware from the whitewoods to the new playfields, same code as before

#7593 9 years ago

Showing us something he said he had three years ago changes the current situation how?

#7594 9 years ago

Ok your right "what's the point" I won't post info in this thread anymore as it has clearly upset you! I will keep any new info on the private owners group.... After all its not like this is the "JPOP update thread"

Easy tiger, I didn't mean to insult you. I was only pointing out that John trying to show progress is just more delaying of the inevitable. Folks are no closer to getting their games. He needs a solid plan right now. What he's showing now should have been shown a year ago.

#7595 8 years ago

Just ignore that stuff.

Positive updates are positive updates. We can't whine about not seeing gameplay footage, and then complain when he works to provide it.

It's important to keep perspective, a flipping MG doesn't actually solve anything right now, it's too late for that to be enough. But hey, take what progress you can, why not?

I know I still want to see the video.

#7596 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just ignore that stuff.
Positive updates are positive updates. We can't whine about not seeing gameplay footage, and then complain when he works to provide it.
It's important to keep perspective, a flipping MG doesn't actually solve anything right now, it's too late for that to be enough. But hey, take what progress you can, why not?
I know I still want to see the video.

Me too; who knows maybe things are not as bad as they seem?

#7597 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Me too; who knows maybe things are not as bad as they seem?

Nah, they are. Flipping MG doesn't change anything really. But might as well see the game that we're not getting for the time being, maybe it will help people decide if they want to try and figure out how to save it or not.

#7598 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Easy tiger, I didn't mean to insult you. I was only pointing out that John trying to show progress is just more delaying of the inevitable. Folks are no closer to getting their games. He needs a solid plan right now. What he's showing now should have been shown a year ago.

Pinchili, you do not always need the last word. That was a real update that we were glad to receive.

Everyone knows John needs a solid plan, but people seeing he has a playable game (if he does) is the first bright point in awhile and would open up a couple options...as it would mean he was at least a bit further along than he hitherto appeared to be.

The inevitable of which you speak likely is that John will not be manufacturing these games. That does not mean that the games can't be manufactured at all and the further along he is with everything the more likely it can be finished off by others if JPop will play ball (big if based on history but it could happen).

#7599 8 years ago

82410196743c3bda0dc8f1baf5046ba4669ef485bb564a50b87f291b8fe7ac5f.jpg82410196743c3bda0dc8f1baf5046ba4669ef485bb564a50b87f291b8fe7ac5f.jpg

#7600 8 years ago

Does this mean MG is now 96% done?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/152 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.