(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 150 of 487.
#7451 4 years ago

Ok now you've done it. I just found out about Mondo and I want to buy everything.

Prices seem to be all over the map on eBay and I know my way around the price of a pinball machine but have NO idea what's FUN! style prices and regular prices.
I'd also like to not have the guys who bought an FT and WW for 1000$ and got a BJ on the side pricing.

So, in the below 300$ range let's say, how does it work? I see some stuff if the 75-125$ range, some stuff in the 250-350$... different runs or qualities or...?

(Sorry for participating in the derailment...)

#7452 4 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Ok now you've done it. I just found out about Mondo and I want to buy everything.
Prices seem to be all over the map on eBay and I know my way around the price of a pinball machine but have NO idea what's FUN! style prices and regular prices.
I'd also like to not have the guys who bought an FT and WW for 1000$ and got a BJ on the side pricing.
So, in the below 300$ range let's say, how does it work? I see some stuff if the 75-125$ range, some stuff in the 250-350$... different runs or qualities or...?
(Sorry for participating in the derailment...)

It's gonna be all over the map, but generally speaking figure ballpark $50 for a new one if you got in before it sold out. And we're talking most things selling out within minutes of being announced. You slip on clicking that link from Twitter and forget it.

After that it's just what scalpers are charging, and what you're willing to pay.

There's only one run, no reprints, but often there will be a "variant" print, that's got some alternate colors, or metallic ink, or glow in the dark or whatever. Usually the variant is more limited, and sold for a little more (say $75 instead of $50).

Obviously you'll see people trying to flip those for more. The variant isn't automatically "better", just different. If you're trying to measure value it might hold it better, but no guarantee, and they're all so limited it doesn't really matter much IMHO.

These are the Mondo prints I have behind me right now:

IMG_3107.JPG

50% pinball rate, I'd love to see 100% of them as pins though!

#7453 4 years ago

Dang.
So basically everything you see for hundreds of bucks was bought for 50-75$? And then it's either the market's crazy for a particular one or some guys are pushing it like a 3k$ Raven?

(Sorry for starting this and leaving, I can't check out the computer tonight, will check out what's up tomorrow morning).
Thanks for the info and damn you all for making me find out about these, I've got enough money-burning issues as it is.

#7454 4 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

So basically everything you see for hundreds of bucks was bought for 50-75$?

Basically, yup. High demand, limited production = flipper heaven. If you want it badly enough you pay, otherwise you pass.

I have this one still sitting in a tube, no idea what I'm going to do with it, no wall space left, but I couldn't resist it:

Edmiston_Batgirl_finalpress_1024x1024.jpg

#7455 4 years ago

Should we change the thread title now to all about aurich art ? Seems off to be seeing this here. I can't get a refund. No way am I trying some other boutique no matter who does the art.

#7456 4 years ago

I also collect Mondo prints, well, only the ones that I like. I have the full set of Avengers, Goonies, Cabin in the Woods, Gremlins, and tons more in tubes. I am moving so I had to pack up all my poster tubes and my wife was giving me the eye, she had no idea I had so many tubes in the basement. She stop counting after like 60 poster tubes. I did buy her Frozen and The Little Mermaid to make up for all mine.

#7457 4 years ago

Aurich if you need a good cleaning person mine does great work

#7458 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Should we change the thread title now to all about aurich art ? Seems off to be seeing this here. I can't get a refund. No way am I trying some other boutique no matter who does the art.

Sorry if I contributed to the off topic a bit....really can't fathom the disappointment you feel ....it's truly unbelievable that this can actually happen...especially given the time.....I hope there is something good that can be pulled from the embers....mark

#7459 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Aurich if you need a good cleaning person mine does great work

Ha! I'd like to say it's a little cleaner now than when I took that pic, but I won't lie, it's not really that different.

Quoted from rommy:

Should we change the thread title now to all about aurich art ?

More like "all about art", not about me! And really, if you think about it, what else has this thread ever been? What have we even seen besides Zombie Yeti's art? We don't even know what the most basic shots look like. Closest thing to a ball moving on a playfield has been some ancient whitewood video that had the camera fixed on the slingshots, and some dumb video of a ball bouncing around inside a circle.

I hear your frustration, sorry if I contributed to things veering off course, but what else is there to even talk about? Has the private Facebook group ever tried to organize a group showing up to his studio with a video camera and demanding to shoot the ball flipping?

#7460 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

These are the Mondo prints I have behind me right now:

Is that a cat or a platypus?

#7461 4 years ago

I think it's clear now that there is no easy way to get Magic Girl showable. The joke on all of us of course was the reveal on December 17th. How do you "reveal" a game that no one can play, even 5 months later? All that after the whole "Lebowski Effect" phrase that John was so pleased with himself over.

Even if the FAST/Mission guys were overboard in their bravado about getting a machine flipping in 2 days, they certainly would have had something by now if John had just agreed to it 2 months ago or whenever that was being talked about.

How much different would the situation be if there was a Magic Girl playing in the FAST office and video of that was sent out?

All woulda coulda shoulda of course, but we saw these mistakes being made one after the next, and all roads lead back to John who put us here.

#7462 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

hopefully, this "reverse risk" has ended with the meltdown of recent projects...
"buyers" are not investors... they shouldn't be taking ANY risk at all...

"Let the buyer beware" has been a saying for hundreds of years - buyers always take some risk.

#7463 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Is that a cat or a platypus?

It's a chupacabra.

Quoted from frolic:

How much different would the situation be if there was a Magic Girl playing in the FAST office and video of that was sent out?

I think it would have done a lot to keep things positive, which might have led to money appearing. Either from owners or investors. It's still madness to me that owners haven't seen it flip.

What happened to the people who claimed to have played it at his workshop? They all drained the thread in denial?

#7464 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

"Let the buyer beware" has been a saying for hundreds of years - buyers always take some risk.

I.e. Caveat Emptor.

Of course there are tons of regulations in place to protect consumers. The doctrine of Caveat Emptor has been largely eroded.

#7465 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I finally got a call back from him, he told me that MG is almost finished, we can all relax now

He told me that two years ago.

#7466 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

I'll see your 2 years and raise you a year

#7467 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

http://www.zidwareglasses.com will do that to you.

#7468 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

When do they plan on announcing the title?

June.

#7469 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Maybe in the aftermarket but they're usually about $30-$50 on the site. I think your estimates are off a bit.
http://mondotees.com/collections/posters

Look at all posters, and its more like $1200.

#7470 4 years ago

Since we're a little off topic at the moment (and discussing Yeti's talent), some of you may know that I've long been a critic of the character sculpts of a particular manufacturer. Take at a look at this Character Artist (specializing in sculpture.) AMAZING. I don't care what material you choose to make the final product, find an artist like this to design the molds. I realize painting/coloring can only be so detailed due to mass production. However, look at this person's resume and skills. Here is a small sculpt he did of an orc (a "daily speed sculpt" exercise" he says.) WOW. Get him hired too Aurich!!

https://tomparkersartdump.wordpress.com/gallery/speed-sculpts/

orc.jpg

#7471 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Since we're a little off topic at the moment (and discussing Yeti's talent), some of you may know that I've long been a critic of the character sculpts of a particular manufacturer. Take at a look at this Character Artist (specializing in sculpture.) AMAZING. I don't care what material you choose to make the final product, find an artist like this to design the molds. I realize painting/coloring can only be so detailed due to mass production. However, look at this person's resume and skills. Here is a small sculpt he did of an orc (a "daily speed sculpt" exercise" he says.) WOW. Get him hired too Aurich!!
https://tomparkersartdump.wordpress.com/gallery/speed-sculpts/
orc.jpg

As a tool designer I can tell you why that sculpt would cost a lot more to design and build a mold than the others you speak of.

#7472 4 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

As a tool designer I can tell you why that sculpt would cost a lot more to design and build a mold than the others you speak of.

Plus, that thing is going to be struck with a steel ball. Repeatedly. It'll never hold up with all those thin appendages.

#7473 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Plus, that thing is going to be struck with a steel ball. Repeatedly. It'll never hold up with all those thin appendages.

No offense, but I seriously wish people would stop using this same straw man argument that is completely false. It's the material you use that is either tolerable to impact or not. You CAN have great detail and have an incredibly durable figure.

I have the Mezco figures for Breaking Bad. They have a fantastic amount of detail. They could withstand a million pinball shots without a chip. They are mass produced. It's not rocket science or impossible (and reminder, we're not even talking about bash toys here). If it really was an issue of not being able to mass produce something at a rate to which you could profit someone would have solved the problem. That's been the story for the past 150 years.

http://kastorskorner.com/wp/2013/02/09/mezco-jump-2013-pre-toy-fair-showcase/

#7474 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Even if the FAST/Mission guys were overboard in their bravado about getting a machine flipping in 2 days, they certainly would have had something by now if John had just agreed to it 2 months ago or whenever that was being talked about.
All woulda coulda shoulda of course, but we saw these mistakes being made one after the next, and all roads lead back to John who put us here.

It was certainly a blown opportunity to add some momentum to the projects. Imagine being able to focus boldly on RAZA without leaving MG hanging? In fact, the progress on MG while RAZA was wrapping on design would been so motivating.

We could have been posting weekly videos on progress. The progress, the challenges, the joy, the pain! It could have been so much fun.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#7475 4 years ago

You guys should all come to MondoCon/Fantastic Fest his year and when the art and insane movies are wrapped we throw a blowout party at Buffalo Billiards or Pinballz.

Austin is the best. Also if you go to MondoCon you don't have to break your fingers trying to order a print faster than the other guy and/or robot.

MCII_TEASE.jpg

On a more relevant note, the last few pages of the thread have been more positive. Less about JPOP but a lot more enjoyable to read.

#7476 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

No offense, but I seriously wish people would stop using this same straw man argument that is completely false. It's the material you use that is either tolerable to impact or not. You CAN have great detail and have an incredibly detailed figure.
I have the Mezco figures for Breaking Bad. They have a fantastic amount of detail. They could withstand a million pinball shots without a chip. They are mass produced. It's not rocket science or impossible (and reminder, we're not even talking about bash toys here). If it really was an issue of not being able to mass produce something at a rate to which you could profit someone would have solved the problem. That's been the story for the past 150 years.

You are correct about materials. Of course, everything has its costs.

#7477 4 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

You are correct about materials. Of course, everything has its costs.

I agree! But Mezco figures cost about $20 each. Again, mass produced and very durable. When toys are typically the central figures in an 8K+ machine, you might want to "splurge" and go for the $20 (or even $50 in smaller quantity?).

#7478 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I agree! But Mezco figures cost about $20 each. Again, mass produced and very durable. When toys are typically the central figures in an 8K+ machine, you might want to "splurge" and for the $20 (or even $50 in smaller quantity?).

Well, I'm not going to campaign for the cheaper toy, but I leave the BOM to Skit....I mean Stern.

#7479 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Very good question. I have long held the theory that the workshop was a far larger drain on overall resources than most people might think. I do not know how much a space like that goes for, (I think some numbers were thrown out some time back) but 3+ years of that can't be small money.
It was just one of the many things (leasing that large space) that baffled me when I was working with Zidware.

I was always concerned about his shop space as well. I'd guess it was about 3k sq ft and half filled with junk (inspiration?) then he goes and DOUBLES it about a year ago? Why??? That's 6k sq ft for ONE MAN to wander around in doing god knows what each day.

#7480 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I was always concerned about his shop space as well. I'd guess it was about 3k sq ft and half filled with junk (inspiration?) then he goes and DOUBLES it about a year ago? Why??? That's 6k sq ft for ONE MAN to wander around in doing god knows what each day.

Well there's the 3 rings, the trapeze, clown car, steam calliope and all the wagons, horses and elephants and lastly the hog's head of real fire.

#7481 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

No offense, but I seriously wish people would stop using this same straw man argument that is completely false. It's the material you use that is either tolerable to impact or not. You CAN have great detail and have an incredibly detailed figure.

I don't care what material you use to mold it, if it's softer than steel it will eventually break or get worn. It's no straw man, it's simple physics. If it's not a bash toy, it'll hold up longer.

#7482 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I don't care what material you use to mold it, if it's softer than steel it will eventually break or get worn. It's no straw man, it's simple physics. If it's not a bash toy, it'll hold up longer.

I bet I can destroy any existing pinball "toy" (Williams, Stern, JJP, whatever) before you can destroy or even damage one of the Mezco figures. I'm "trying" to destroy one right now for a custom project and it is absolutely remarkable what it can withstand. Point being, the quality of art (the detail) in a figure and its' ability to withstand the impact from a pinball have no relation.

#7483 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

That's 6k sq ft for ONE MAN to wander around

Wow, no wonder why he keeps the heat low and bundles up. The gas bill alone, and he's got high ceilings

#7484 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

http://www.showcase.com/property/33-51-Sangra-Court/Streamwood/Illinois/7616121

His is 1,300 sq ft plus 250 sq ft office
Which is about the size I remember
For one shop and he added a second a year and a half ago ago
That sounds right to me

1 shop
48month x $1300 = 62400
2nd shop
18month x $1300 = 23400

Let's round up and say $90k rent so far
(Assuming he didn't get a deal)

#7485 4 years ago

Good thing you're a genius and not a land appraiser

#7486 4 years ago

No lies from me
The current situation is BAD.
Hopefully it gets turned around before everything is destroyed beyond repair.

#7487 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Good thing you're a genius and not a land appraiser

You're getting thumbed down for this, but it's pretty funny, Ben's got a good sense of humor, i'll bet he can appreciate it

#7488 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

He's already got a playable MG if he would put it all together and show it to anyone. The original game ran, had some stuff in it - but wasn't complete. It gets a little old continually throwing aside the nearly 2 years worth of effort that the original programmer/systems designer put in to get the game base framework & service mode running, develop his RGB insert lighting system, etc. The software wasn't done, sure, but he's had a rig running in attract mode with full feature lamps and whatnot for years now, and it would run a game if he'd build one.

#7489 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

it would run a game if he'd build one.

That he hasn't says really all there is to say about how badly mismanaged this has been.

We can be TOLD over and over again by people that all the pieces are there, but if there's no game to show, what does it matter?

#7490 4 years ago

I'm just talking about the repeated idea that FAST/Mission could have stormed in and saved things in no time. The part they would have contributed (controlling hardware & software) is already in place, and the software is much farther along than you'd get in two days with any framework, no matter how robust. The parts they could help with wasn't really the problem.

#7491 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

He's already got a playable MG if he would put it all together and show it to anyone. The original game ran, had some stuff in it - but wasn't complete. It gets a little old continually throwing aside the nearly 2 years worth of effort that the original programmer/systems designer put in to get the game base framework & service mode running, develop his RGB insert lighting system, etc. The software wasn't done, sure, but he's had a rig running in attract mode with full feature lamps and whatnot for years now, and it would run a game if he'd build one.

Field of Dreams: "If you build it, they will come."

Popadiuk Corollary: "If you don't finish it, they'll start to leave, and if the gates are locked, they'll start to riot, and when they start to riot, it's Pinside's fault!"

#7492 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm just talking about the repeated idea that FAST/Mission could have stormed in and saved things in no time. The part they would have contributed (controlling hardware & software) is already in place, and the software is much farther along than you'd get in two days with any framework, no matter how robust. The parts they could help with wasn't really the problem.

I hear you. Doesn't take away from where we're at today with no machine to show.

What is stopping a Magic Girl from being put together to show? Is it purely because "John doesn't wanna do it"?

#7493 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

2nd shop
18month x $1300 = 23400

What I'm reading here is enough money to have paid off a lot of vendors (or buy a lot more artwork).

#7494 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I hear you. Doesn't take away from where we're at today with no machine to show.
What is stopping a Magic Girl from being put together to show? Is it purely because "John doesn't wanna do it"?

I thought people had reportedly played on flippable games. What happened to those games?

#7495 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I thought people had reportedly played on flippable games. What happened to those games?

They took a little detour into Development Hell... where vendors want to be paid, employees don't work for free, and customers expect to receive their games.

#7496 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Wow, no wonder why he keeps the heat low and bundles up. The gas bill alone, and he's got high ceilings

When I visited him in November, it was f***ing freezing in there. I was literally shivering.

#7497 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

He's already got a playable MG if he would put it all together and show it to anyone. The original game ran

Hahahahaha, a pinsider who thinks MG is playable and that John can put it all together. Who said pinside doesn't have confidence in John? WHO?!?

#7498 4 years ago

I'm just saying, John could sit around NOT building games in a lot, LOT less space.

Like a spare bedroom, basement or garage.

Until games have shipped it's not his money being foolishly wasted, it's yours.

#7499 4 years ago
Quoted from Warbleboopie:

Hahahahaha, a pinsider who thinks MG is playable and that John can put it all together. Who said pinside doesn't have confidence in John? WHO?!?

More like a guy who's been to johns shop, worked on some of johns projects, and seen all this stuff first hand.

Note that I didn't say it was done. I said you can boot it up and flip it and there's part of a game there.

#7500 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

What I'm reading here is enough money to have paid off a lot of vendors (or buy a lot more artwork).

Like I said, the "JPOP'd" meme didn't originate at the end of this 5 year long adventure, it's been a reputation building for years. He started suddenly and completely ignoring vendors and contractors, followed by his refusal to pay them, because he just decided he wanted to, not because he couldn't afford them. He has collected at least a million dollars from the sales of his 3 machines, and has left a long line of JPOP'd victims in his wake throughout the entire process.

I think it is entirely possible he still has a big stash of money. There's no way he can build the games he has sold with the money that is left (The economics of that were always impossible), but hopefully there is enough to see that everyone gets a part of their investment back. Assuming he doesn't spend whatever is left "Battling" his customers and critics.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 150 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside