(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 486.
#7201 4 years ago

I won't even guess as to the actual % of completeness. I do want to say for the benefit of those who have seen the games in progress, but have not actually built a game before, that you can have a game that LOOKS complete and still have TONS of work to do. Code to write and test and debug and test and rewrite and test and debug again. Animations to produce and optimize for all scenes, all scenarios. Service menus? All of this is assuming that all the toys function as intended and that the playfields actually shoot well.

I won't comment here as to what I think the actual state of things is because John's tone is becoming increasingly threatening. But anyone who has spent any time working on a pinball machine knows that you can have a pretty box full of pretty things and still have a long way to go until that game is ready to ship.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#7202 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

P.S. A few others here have visited the workshop within the past few months. You saw this stuff too, right? I wasn't really hallucinating the whole thing, really....

Lawdog, you're craaazy!
Skebobbanna
Gettin' mad baby.
Baloo-and-King-Louie-dancing.gif

#7203 4 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Thanks for the email. As I mentioned before I have been battling the “pinside” group for months now (since the DP downfall began in public) and it has done the most damage to my work, apart from anything I have missed or do poorly as a business owner. In many cases people (many not owners) have severley damaged my business, reputation and exploding my customer base with their public statements, rants and “toxic” posts. Also been harrased by phone, computer, email, text or incited by posters online, which is a criminal offence today.

We do have some “viable” negotiations still ongoing (all documented in emails and legally – not fluff) to partner and/or get more funding to keep the company strong and moving ahead. As the “pinside” wave has helped to cause many of my customers to stop support, except for a few and actually has halted some other investors or big orders coming in for new game sales for open games. I feel pinside and a lot of the posters (many in an NDA – many behind fake names) are all liable in some form. Obviously I cannot discuss openly any deals until it’s news, and choose not to bait people with false hopes. There are a few owners that know “all” and I trust them for feedback. Some I thought i could trust but was used. We recently had to “no-reply” to a awful pinball deal (in works for months and looked promissing) that came our way. My attorney and I were genuinely sad and dissapointed. Some of the discussions are now very amazing and all would benefit, but sadly nothing is fast or signed. Luckily since the beginning of the project we have a long trail of development to refer to as record, and the work is really far along and looks good. Been as open, honest, sincere as I can in this now “crowded” and “competitive” pinball world. But yes I am not done, and I “suck” at being on “internet time” for communication. Not new news, I have been told this and agree. My brain is just wired differently as an artist, and i am no social network maven.

I have tried my best to not say to much on this fiasco that is Jpop's projects. After hearing Jpops deflections I can no longer resist. Please understand I'm speaking for myself here I am in no way speaking for Pinside or any of it's staff.

Jpop the only person to blame for the damage to your business, reputation and lose of customer base is yourself. Saying otherwise suggests that there is some serious delusion and perhaps other issues going on with you personally. You sold pre-order spots for 3 different pins and after 3-4 years and you are not close to delivering a single pin? And it is Pinside's fault?? Really? Are the investors/pre-order pinheads that voiced concerns on Pinside also at fault? The only thing you are doing by deflecting blame is losing any remaining confidence your companies investors have in you.

Look I know as well as anyone we all make mistakes and sometimes fail despite our best efforts. However, the right thing to do when this happens is to man up and admit it is your fault. Take responsibility. Do you really think any possible future partners/investers really want to hear you blame the online community for your inability to bring your ideas together to make one fully functioning prototype? All that does is show you to be inept and clueless that you are inept. This would lead a rational person to conclude that your involvement in the process moving forward would doom the project in the end.

It's time for those that are taking advantage of the pinball community to be highlighted. We can't have the rejuvenation of the pinball hobby be brought down by a few bad seeds that are taking advantage. It is important that the pinball community be made aware of projects like this and Predator so they know to be more careful about investing in someones start-up pinball company. You want to take a nice salary for 3-4 years of work with no fully functioning prototype to show for it and blame investers and Pinside then go right ahead. Just know that your BS is not going to get you out of the hot water you have put yourself in. This is the real world not just some fantasy your in. You took a TON of money from many in the Pinball community years ago and have failed to deliver a single pin to a customer. Which in turn took money away from the new machines that are actually getting built. I think as a community we should be focusing on purchasing new machines from companies that have proven they can actually deliver pinball machines to paying customers.

#7204 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

OK, I was minding my own business this evening, playing in the Modern pinball league, when someone there told me there was new JPOP controversy online. So this is the first I've heard of it, just now. As I've been reminding John more and more recently, I'm representing him in intellectual property matters; I'm not a business lawyer and not a litigator and not a bankruptcy attorney. I'm not a "law dog" (although I do like that tagline!) and frankly, I don't think his attitude is helpful. I'm not in control of what he does or doesn't do, and can't force him to follow my friendly common-sense suggestions.

Thanks for coming back to Pinside and filling us in the best you can.

Lots of what is going on just doesn't make sense. Doesn't make sense to even his closest advisers.

#7205 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Here's where the disconnect is. The 2 titles are mostly complete.

With that being the case, and John refusing to show them, then they might as well not be. He knows there is threat of legal action at this time, and by his own admission once things go nuclear the entire project is dead because he can't defend it.

He clearly stated that is what will happen. And yet he won't show what you've seen. So he'd sooner let the whole thing blow up than change a single thing about how he operates and go down in failure. That is what we're dealing with.

#7206 4 years ago

StevenP

While I don't doubt that you saw 90% complete games, it's certainly possible. Also it was posted around the time of Expo that MG was 90%-95% complete and that was half a year ago.

But this is not shown to his buyers, why?

Why can't he finish the pins if they are so close? Does he need more money? It's been 3 years and $1,000,000 in hand. He needs more time and/or money. He even admits he's looking for outside investors.

Also it's the last 10% that needs to be done that is worrying, do you suppose that's the easy 10% or the hardest part? Also making a prototype is one thing, WoZ was there and Hobbit for a long time before they went from prototype to production, a long time MMR also. It could still be years not months if these pins are still a go.

Also, I've heard (in computer world) where a product was mocked up and presented. I believe this was Bill Gates with 'Windows' where the product was not anywhere in any way able to work. But he made a slideshow in a way that was convincing that the product was close.

Also, what is the benifit to John by not showing anything? There is no benifit so in the absence benifit I look for the sinister implications.

StevenP has John been inundated with requests for refunds? If so, does he realize that's a problem? And that bunkering down and not responding is not a good idea?

Wasn't John supposed to give major reveals of MG last December and RAZA this January? It's now April.

#7207 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

what is the benifit to John by not showing anything? There is no benifit so in the absence of a motive, I look for the sinister implications.

This is where I'm stuck as well. When you look at all information available, and motive, John might be able show a lay person something that appears 90% complete if he explains it that way, but he knows it won't hold up to scrutiny if shown to the world.

It's either that, or mental illness. There doesn't seem to be any other explanations here.

#7208 4 years ago

With all the negativity I still hope for the best and want to believe. It would be great to see these pins shipping and any negativity or black marks on John's reputation corrected. Nothing would make me happy, I am not hoping to fail or trying to say 'I told you'.

I'm a glass is half empty guy and I need to be shown something, or else I assume there to be nothing.

Also, this type of development would go over better if John did not collect 70% of the money. It's not as if he can deliver 70% of a pin, it's all or nothing.

#7209 4 years ago

I just don't get how he doesn't feel responsible for the money he is holding.

I would be emotionally and mentally wrecked if I had that much of someone else's money and wasn't delivering on my promises. I would probably be calling those people constantly to apologize and ask for help.

You can't have more of a perfect situation than he has had. He had enough money, time, and space to blow people away. It's so frustrating for someone like me where the thing holding me back on Spaceballs is money. Time is a restriction too, but I'm also not doing it as a full time job or to make money.

#7210 4 years ago

I've simplified my advice to him and just posted this to his blog.

Quoted from frolic:

I thought about it over night, and all of your problems can go away if you did 1 thing:

Upload a video of someone playing a 3 ball game of Magic Girl. Demonstrate it is not vaporware.

You might even drum up some new pre-orders. Raise some cash and refund those people who want out.

Can this 1 simple thing be done?

#7211 4 years ago

Hello all - I'm the artist on JPOPs 'recent' machines - I haven't heard for him in a few weeks and started doing some diggin which led me here - can someone summarize what is going on? thanks in advance!

#7212 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Hello all - I'm the artist on JPOPs 'recent' machines - I haven't heard for him in a few weeks and started doing some diggin which led me here - can someone summarize what is going on? thanks in advance!

He's missed every deadline he's ever set. He owes a bunch of different associates/contractors money. Customers who paid in advance for games are still mostly in the dark.

Also: Your art on these games is magnificent. It's a damn shame they they likely won't get made for people.

#7213 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Uh-oh.

Have you been paid? It seems that leads a lot of vendors to post here.

That is if this is really who he says it is and not a spoofed account.

#7214 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Welcome to the group... Please understand there's a lot of angry customers because John doesn't communicate and everything's a secret...

#7215 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Hey! I've looked over your website and your artwork is incredible! Great stuff!! Welcome to Pinside.

For others:
http://www.zombieyeti.com/

#7216 4 years ago

I'm hoping this ends well, for everyones sake.

#7217 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Pinside has an email feature, upper right hand comer by your name and avatar. I've just sent you my phone number and strongly encourage you to call me.

#7218 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I haven't heard for him in a few weeks and started doing some diggin which led me here

This says so much. John can no longer use the "I'm revising art" excuse, at least not for the past few weeks. So if he's not working on art, and he's not getting a pinball flipping or working on code, what IS it he's doing everyday?

#7219 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Uh-oh.

Have you been paid? It seems that leads a lot of vendors to post here.

That is if this is really who he says it is and not a spoofed account.

I have confirmed this is the "real" zombieyeti.

#7220 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Hello all - I'm the artist on JPOPs 'recent' machines

Love your work!!

#7221 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Hey! I've looked over your website and your artwork is incredible! Great stuff!! Welcome to Pinside.
For others:
http://www.zombieyeti.com/

Incredible work!!

#7222 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Hello all - I'm the artist on JPOPs 'recent' machines

You did some really great piece of art! For art's sake, please help to bring these magnificent pieces to life.

#7223 4 years ago

The art is definitely what bought John all this extra time. It was always what he showed.

#7224 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Well first of all your artwork is fantastic, is your artwork for the games finished

#7225 4 years ago

"Zombie Yeti Studios - Illustration & Design for people who pay!"

That's straight from the FB page for Zombie Yeti Studios. I'm guessing that's all that needs to be said in relation to Jpop.

#7226 4 years ago

Maybe the one positive from this cluster f@#k is a real pinball producer will pick up zombie yeti to work for them...

#7227 4 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Maybe the one positive from this cluster f@#k is a real pinball producer will pick up zombie yeti to work for them...

I was thinking the same thing.

#7228 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

"Zombie Yeti Studios - Illustration & Design for people who pay!"
That's straight from the FB page for Zombie Yeti Studios. I'm guessing that's all that needs to be said in relation to Jpop.

Yeah that was my suspicion. The wheels are coming off fast if he is now shutting out his inner circle. That babbling diatribe yesterday was just him laying the groundwork of a defense for the impending shitstorm he knows is on the horizon.

#7229 4 years ago

Hopefully stern hires the yeti so we can actually own games with his awesome work.

#7230 4 years ago

First Yeti your Art is some sweet stuff.
As far as this....

Quoted from zombieyeti:

I haven't heard for him in a few weeks

Oh no! This is gonna get good.

popcorn_zpsa5415933.jpg

#7231 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

StevenP
While I don't doubt that you saw 90% complete games, it's certainly possible. Also it was posted around the time of Expo that MG was 90%-95% complete and that was half a year ago.
But this is not shown to his buyers, why?
Why can't he finish the pins if they are so close? Does he need more money? It's been 3 years and $1,000,000 in hand. He needs more time and/or money. He even admits he's looking for outside investors.
Also it's the last 10% that needs to be done that is worrying, do you suppose that's the easy 10% or the hardest part? Also making a prototype is one thing, WoZ was there and Hobbit for a long time before they went from prototype to production, a long time MMR also. It could still be years not months if these pins are still a go.
Also, I've heard (in computer world) where a product was mocked up and presented. I believe this was Bill Gates with 'Windows' where the product was not anywhere in any way able to work. But he made a slideshow in a way that was convincing that the product was close.
Also, what is the benifit to John by not showing anything? There is no benifit so in the absence benifit I look for the sinister implications.
StevenP has John been inundated with requests for refunds? If so, does he realize that's a problem? And that bunkering down and not responding is not a good idea?
Wasn't John supposed to give major reveals of MG last December and RAZA this January? It's now April.

With respect to "mockups," I can state with reasonable confidence that the physical pieces are there, as indicated earlier. I have been fixing pinball machines for over 30 years and know what makes them tick. It wasn't empty shells that I saw. I can't speak to the amount of effort needed for programming and ultimate completion, though. (But it seems much programming is done after assembly and shipment these days anyway.)

I can't answer your other questions, to be honest. I am not part of John's daily business dealings, have no 'inside' on his communications or finances. I only know what he shares with me. All I've suggested/implored lately is that John be responsive to customers, show and explain all the stuff he has done to date, in detail, and stop keeping things secret at this point. How he proceeds is completely out of my control. And again, I'd like to make clear that I've only been helping John legally with respect to intellectual property matters (and a lease), and (as I have indicated to him as well) I am not and will not be part of any actions involving him and his customers, whether it be bankruptcy, contract/consumer disputes, whatever. Not my field of law and I didn't volunteer for that! Lawdog out!

#7232 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Forgive me but how can we believe you are Yeti?

Can you post a picture of yourself holding today's newspaper ?

Otherwise I mean I could post a new account saying I'm Yeti.

I'm thinking you are Keneda

#7233 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Yo Jeremy. It's a mess here, as you can see. I have no explanations. But, welcome to Pinside?

#7234 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Quoted from frolic:

#7235 4 years ago

Well I'm guessing that once John finds out Yet is here on Pinside, that means all the artwork will need to be redone.

#7236 4 years ago

I def. want to hear Zombie yeti's take on things , hoping he elaborates more about why he went "digging" for info on John BTW I love your work , its a Big part of what sold me on AIW even though @ the time I didn't know someone else was doing all the art

#7237 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Quoted from frolic:

EDIT: I'm obviously slower than most...

#7238 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

He is who he says he is. I just got off the phone with him and he is joining the owners group.

#7239 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Actually I believe is "KAnada"

#7240 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I just don't get how he doesn't feel responsible for the money he is holding.

It does not sound like he has much or any of the money left. Who knows if in his mind he feels any remorse for the people that he has taken so much of their hard earned money. It has not been shown that he even has the capability of empathy up to this point.

#7241 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

And again, I'd like to make clear that I've only been helping John legally with respect to intellectual property matters (and a lease), and (as I have indicated to him as well) I am not and will not be part of any actions involving him and his customers, whether it be bankruptcy, contract/consumer disputes, whatever. Not my field of law and I didn't volunteer for that! Lawdog out!

Hey StevenP,

First of all, thank you for coming back to the thread. It is really nice to hear from someone who John choses to actually talk to.

Second, thank you for your assurances that you would not be any part of his threats.

Can you confirm that you were not his "advisor …(snip)... as a “very good” friend and legal guru since day one." that he referenced copying on that last letter?

If you were who he was referencing, it would make many people feel a lot better that his threats are completely empty. If you weren't, do you know who this "Legal Guru" is?

I seriously am not going on a witch-hunt here, I am just trying to get definitive proof of whether John's threats of legal retaliation are completely empty or not. For all I know, he could still have a lifelong friend who is willing to give him pro-bono help in suing his critics and customers. After all, you don't have to have any strong legal footing to sue anyone in this country, and make them deal with the pain and expense of defending themselves. Arron from Fast Pinball has stated that such threats have moderated his public opinions on this, so I know that I am not alone in picking up those threats.

If he is using his relationship with you to add credibility to his threats of legal retaliation in an attempt to silence his critics, I would love for you to clear the air about that.

Again, thank you for coming back to the thread. And I apologize if I was wrong in assuming he was referencing you in that last paragraph.

#7242 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Hello all - I'm the artist

U.png

wut.png

M8.jpg

#7243 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Yo Jeremy. It's a mess here, as you can see. I have no explanations. But, welcome to Pinside?

Is the mess here or at Zidware?

#7244 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have yet to hear an owner who has talked to JPop say they were very disappointed in the conversation.

When I met with him at his facility back in November, I walked away very disappointed. Sure, he showed me some cool stuff, but he deflected every serious question I had about money, programming, timelines, you name it. John is a very nice guy, but his evasiveness left me extremely concerned. This was before the big "reveal", so I still had a glimmer of hope. In retrospect, I should have asked for a refund right there and then.

#7245 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Well I'm guessing that once John finds out Yet is here on Pinside, that means all the artwork will need to be redone.

GREATER HARM.

#7246 4 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Kugler Family FTW
Thanks for posting this video otherwise this thread would have been a total bust.

What is probably the most pertinent aspect of me posting that video to this thread, is that it was just a little over 12 months from the time I started on it and when I had it at expo. That was working on it while commuting on the train each day, nights and weekends. The first version was a traditional DMD vs the color it has now, and the rule set at that point was only about a third of what it is now, but that was a fully playing whitewood and I had basically no clue what I was doing when I started.

I can understand john not wanting to show a game too early in the process, given the way his brain is wired, and a certain level of perfectionism he has, but it is just hard to understand how in this amount of time, he has not been able to show off something that is playing a game (serving up a ball, scoring points, processing the end of ball ball bonus, etc), with some sounds, music and animations reacting to switch hits, it would be understood it is a work in progress (although I am sure there would be some handful of people ripping on it).

By the way I am now taking pre-orders, so if anyone wants a game that is all about my family for their game room, just send your first 50% payment of $10K.

#7247 4 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Hey StevenP,
First of all, thank you for coming back to the thread. It is really nice to hear from someone who John choses to actually talk to.
Second, thank you for your assurances that you would not be any part of his threats.
Can you confirm that you were not his "advisor …(snip)... as a “very good” friend and legal guru since day one." that he referenced copying on that last letter?
If you were who he was referencing, it would make many people feel a lot better that his threats are completely empty. If you weren't, do you know who this "Legal Guru" is?
I seriously am not going on a witch-hunt here, I am just trying to get definitive proof of whether John's threats of legal retaliation are completely empty or not. For all I know, he could still have a lifelong friend who is willing to give him pro-bono help in suing his critics and customers. After all, you don't have to have any strong legal footing to sue anyone in this country, and make them deal with the pain and expense of defending themselves. Arron from Fast Pinball has stated that such threats have moderated his public opinions on this, so I know that I am not alone in picking up those threats.
If he is using his relationship with you to add credibility to his threats of legal retaliation in an attempt to silence his critics, I would love for you to clear the air about that.
Again, thank you for coming back to the thread. And I apologize if I was wrong in assuming he was referencing you in that last paragraph.

I put zero, I mean zero stock in his chicken shit threats of litigation. By doing so, he opens himself (and his books) up in court to **prove** his claim. It would be the all time most imbecilic move on his part. I truly believe he's twiddling his thumbs until someone forces his hand. I think he knows he's painted himself in a corner.

#7248 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

He is who he says he is. I just got off the phone with him and he is joining the owners group.

Sorry, thanks for checking, i was just thinking anyone can say they are Yeti. Good to know, welcome Yeti your art is great.

#7249 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I put zero, I mean zero stock in his chicken shit threats of litigation. By doing so, he opens himself (and his books) up in court to **prove** his claim. It would be the all time most imbecilic move on his part. I truly believe he's twiddling his thumbs until someone forces his hand. I think he knows he's painted himself in a corner.

I'm confused what he could possibly sue for? I would have assumed the NDA was only in regards to not revealing game info that he himself did not reveal first? Since when is simply airing frustrations and talking about someone/something else illegal?

#7250 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I agree, however, we are talking about someone who has proven to be a renaissance master at the art of imbecilic moves, especially when they are driven by his ego. It seems very clear to me that he is completely prepared to burn everything to the ground if he doesn't get to keep doing things his way, and I can totally see him trying to take down those who he thinks are really to blame in the process. Not that he has the legal logic or funds to do so, but real world constraints seem to have very little effect in the logic in Popadiuktopia.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 119.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside