(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 487.
#651 5 years ago

Thanks for the kind words guys, nice to meet up here.

#652 5 years ago

Well with twd out and his theme having zombies as well I'm guessing the whole retro zombie thing ended up gearing toward Robbie robot and the alien guy. Makes sense they are both 50-60s retro aliens. Retro alien zombie adventure

#653 5 years ago

Wow lot happened on that plane ride...

#654 5 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

No, I wish. But I'm just as disappointed as you all are. The white wood should have been shown at the expo at the very least.

Has he even MADE a whitewood? Not a foamcore playfield, or a playfield with various things mocked up on it....but a flippable whitewood? I'm guessing he hasn't, which means he doesn't even know how to properly design a pinball machine. He seems to be just obsessed with the art. Art is meaningless if you don't even know how your game is going to physically play!

#655 5 years ago

Before the tour...

Expo Cabinets
There was a few people in the online world disappointed that john brought two cabinets to expo rather than a prototype of MG.

Are you one of those people?
But how close did you look at just the cabinet?

Comparing just cabinets in the pinball world, this might be the nicest cabinet made for a production game ever.
The design and space is huge and really rad with the LCD placement. There is a lot of custom stainless steel on that bad boy.
The mounted transformer in the cab is really big and beautiful.
The head design is retro yet modern, very neato design.
I'm glad he made an entirely new design versus the Williams cabs that I think all the other companies have followed more or less. This innovation takes time and money. It's this high level of craftsmanship that John is striving for throughout his entire game!
Hopefully John can continue his passion and be able to create pinball for us and everyone to enjoy. This cabinet is the Zidware cabinet that he plans to use on all three of his new games.

I know john is really proud of his new cabinets so it must have stung if he reads the online threads but the most vocally upset people haven't seen the cab in person! Ironic. Once people didn't see a playfeild in there they immediately dismissed the cabinet.
I have seen the cabinet, it is really awesome, IMO of course.

#656 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Has he even MADE a whitewood? Not a foamcore playfield, or a playfield with various things mocked up on it....but a flippable whitewood? I'm guessing he hasn't, which means he doesn't even know how to properly design a pinball machine. He seems to be just obsessed with the art. Art is meaningless if you don't even know how your game is going to physically play!

There is a WW for MG that showed sighs of lots plays, pf dimpling used rubbers
Three prototypes are near complete too

#657 5 years ago

Yes there is also a RAZA whitewood

#658 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Before the tour...
Expo Cabinets
There was a few people in the online world disappointed that john brought two cabinets to expo rather than a prototype of MG.
Are you one of those people?
But how close did you look at just the cabinet?
Comparing just cabinets in the pinball world, this might be the nicest cabinet made for a production game ever.
The design and space is huge and really rad with the LCD placement. There is a lot of custom stainless steel on that bad boy.
The mounted transformer in the cab is really big and beautiful.
The head design is retro yet modern, very neato design.
I'm glad he made an entirely new design versus the Williams cabs that I think all the other companies have followed more or less. This innovation takes time and money. It's this high level of craftsmanship that John is striving for throughout his entire game!
Hopefully John can continue his passion and be able to create pinball for us and everyone to enjoy. This cabinet is the Zidware cabinet that he plans to use on all three of his new games.
I know john is really proud of his new cabinets so it must have stung if he reads the online threads but the most vocally upset people haven't seen the cab in person! Ironic. Once people didn't see a playfeild in there they immediately dismissed the cabinet.
I have seen the cabinet, it is really awesome, IMO of course.

saw the cabinets a long time ago...the mystic has worn off on those..saw the art long ago too...

#659 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

There is a WW for MG that showed sighs of lots plays, pf dimpling used rubbers
Three prototypes are near complete too

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Yes there is also a RAZA whitewood

...but a FLIPPABLE whitewood? With all the ramps, mechs, toys, some rudimentary code?

#660 5 years ago

complete view of bare play fields, white wood, or even a cad drawing of a bare play field would have been good to see...the patents dont cover play field art...and a 8" corner of one doesnt count as shown lol

#661 5 years ago

Maybe you should have taken the tour

#662 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Maybe you should have taken the tour

I would probably have been murdered on sight lol

...and maybe you can just answer my question.

#663 5 years ago

Those currently not in on a JPop game and do not have their money on the line right now:

Please do not fan the flames, take a victory lap for getting out previously, or generally troll this thread.

Obviously, there are issues going on with this matter, give it a couple days to see if JPop addresses the obvious criticism he is under from his existing customers. Perhaps he will smooth it out, perhaps he will not - regardless, no reason for those who do not have a vested interest to speculate for the next 48 or so hours.

I'm not saying not to post in this thread or restricting posting to only those with an interest, just post responsibly...

#664 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I would probably have been murdered on sight lol
...and maybe you can just answer my question.

Why???

Two years you've been a negative nancy for no good reason but to be a dick.

#665 5 years ago

With the amount of companies trying to cash in on the 'great pinball goldrush', at some point there is going to be a car crash.

Sometimes you have to let go of perfection and settle for good enough - and get the game done. The irony is that the quest for perfection can lead to complete failure.

If I ever get back on the pre-order band wagon, the important thing for me is understanding the people behind each company. So far DP look like the real deal but never met them so only informed guess.

Anyway really hope JPOP delivers

#666 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Wait till you see what it does on the completed game

Once you patent something, it becomes public domain forever.

....Including the pictures of the patent!

Too bad you can't keep Google out of your secret squirrel club.

patent.jpg

#667 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Those currently not in on a JPop game and do not have their money on the line right now:
Please do not fan the flames, take a victory lap for getting out previously, or generally troll this thread.
Obviously, there are issues going on with this matter, give it a couple days to see if JPop addresses the obvious criticism he is under from his existing customers. Perhaps he will smooth it out, perhaps he will not - regardless, no reason for those who do not have a vested interest to speculate for the next 48 or so hours.
I'm not saying not to post in this thread or restricting posting to only those with an interest, just post responsibly...

this is the same treatment jjp, stern, dutch, vonnie, and every other maker gets on here... no one is violating his nda. well maybe the one guy posting a pf picture is lol....but its been a very smooth thread, no name calling. u kinds shocked me u posted that if i dont have my money still in i should step back and not talk about the games...i completely respect you tiger, dont take it as disrespect if i continue to put my 2 cents in this thread as i want to see him succeed but i can view how i see, know , and feel about things...

#668 5 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Once you patent something, it becomes public domain forever.
....Including the pictures of the patent!
Too bad you can't keep Google out of your secret squirrel club.

patent.jpg 79 KB

boom goes the dynomite lol

#669 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Why???
Two years you've been a negative nancy for no good reason but to be a dick.

Looking at what's blowing up right now, I think it's clear that I was being a Logical Lancy! I saw the writing on the wall early on. If you can't answer a simple question - "is there a flippable whitewood?" - and instead take that time to call me a dick, then I'm just going to assume there isn't a flippable whitewood.

It was nice seeing you at Expo BTW

#670 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

boom goes the dynomite lol

No harm intended.

I just feel bad for the guy on the other thread that is having difficulty selling his RAZA spot because of all of this secret fraternity crap.

Maybe I did him a favor so that he wouldn't get in trouble....?

I sincerely hope you guys eventually get your games.

#671 5 years ago

Pdxmonkey you know I was gonna get in on the Jpop games, you are aware I took the tour last year as well, but as much as I want Jpop to succeed there has to be some concern. To base everything on the amount of work that cab took to design is 100% accurate, but that was the complete discussion last year...12 months ago! Jpop had a lot of cool stuff to show back then. He said he was gonna have a shooting whitewood at expo this, year did he not? So I think the question I ask you as a friend, knowing that you have a large vested interest in this project, are you really not concerned on what took place at Expo 2014? It seems like everyone drank the kool-aid, I myself was ready to buy in also, but now how can potential buyers not start to wakeup? Do I think Jpop has cool cabs sure, do I think he has a nice MG playfield, yep I agree as well, Do I think he can pull it all together, I really have my doubts. How can this Designer focus on the cabs so much and have them done in October 2013 which I myself saw and in October 2014 we are still talking about cabs and nothing else? Thats 12 months and the biggest show of the year just passed and the focus to the public and potential buyers is still cabs and a Translight that was shown for 5 seconds, until cameras came out and then put away. Isn't it kinda bad PR to not have anything shootable for the customers who are trying to sell their spots since he wont return any money if you want out, because he has met zero deadlines like mentioned from a buyer up above. The IP and the NDA's have gotten a little bit out of control, he is not building a Fusion Reactor that is gonna solve the planets energy problems lol. It is just pinball, and to me it is becoming OCD to the extreme, teetering on the verge of Paranoid delusion take that as may thats how I see it.

I really hope I am wrong, but I think everyone that is a buyer you really need to take a stand, unless you really dont care if the game ever comes out or it is another 5 years because thats where it looks like its heading. Promises are great but you have to deliver after a certain amount of time and 39 months is crazy when there is nothing been shown but a cab, unless you wanna fly to chicago.

I use the JJP and WoZ analogy, Jack built a factory and a New Platform and took forever to get it done and delivered, but there was always a box of lights, public communication, crappy proto games, so we all new it was at least moving forward, It did not work out as timely as we all wanted, but at 3 plus years games were shipping and we had seen Tons of shootable protos long before that.

I may get some thumbs down for this post, but everyone has to open there eyes. JPOP needs help to get these games done and out, he cant do this trying to be every aspect of his company. What if 90% off buyers backout and nobody else gets in, I guess that cant happen cuz there are no refunds just selling your spot, but the only thing to see is empty cabs and some secret controlled blog, that really makes a buyer wanna drop wads of hundred dollar bills lol. So I guess he can take as long as he wants? If Gary Stern or Jack died tomorrow, I bet someone else would step up in both there companies and take over, Who with Zidware would do that to protect buyers?

I just call it like I see it, I got a couple friends in on this and am scared for you guys, but if you'r not more power to you. Just my 2 Cents.

Joe(acejedi)

#672 5 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

he is not building a Fusion Reactor that is gonna solve the planets energy problems lol.

Classic!!!

#673 5 years ago

The last couple days since expo has pushed me over the cliff as well and I'm at the "it's only a pinball, this is not fun, I'll take my check please" if that was possible. And what makes this more aggravating is I know I CAN'T get a refund, so I'm stuck on the ride.

#674 5 years ago

Thanks to those who posted to the blog. If anyone else can that would be great. I'm going to hold back adding more commentary for risk of looking like I'm taking it over, so the more voices we can get the better.

#675 5 years ago

John is out of his mind, he is obsessing about other makers not painting the vent holes in the back of their machines. It's on his blog he says he won't do it that way, his vent holess will be painted and finished properly.

I could care less about the f-en vent holes in the back of the cabinet, at least the other makers have a playable demo game.

#676 5 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

I found these pictures today. I don't know if they were ever posted before, so excuse me if they are old news. The resolution stinks because they were enlarged from much smaller pics. They both seem to be the same playfield.

RAZA-playfield.jpg 57 KB

RAZA-playfield-B&W.jpg 50 KB

Those playfields look horrible. I'm so glad that a real estate deal feel through before I paid for a spot up for sale last week on a RAZACT. People need to drop stroking this guy and realize that the great ones fall real hard... and this is becoming one of those times.

#677 5 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Those playfields look horrible. I'm so glad that a real estate deal feel through before I paid for a spot up for sale last week on a RAZACT. People need to drop stroking this guy and relieve that the greatest sometime fall real hard. And this is becoming one of those times.

From what I've seen of better play field magic girl pics the colors looks great. Raza pf I haven't seen much of. Magic girl looked great

#678 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

this is the same treatment jjp, stern, dutch, vonnie, and every other maker gets on here... no one is violating his nda. well maybe the one guy posting a pf picture is lol....but its been a very smooth thread, no name calling. u kinds shocked me u posted that if i dont have my money still in i should step back and not talk about the games...i completely respect you tiger, dont take it as disrespect if i continue to put my 2 cents in this thread as i want to see him succeed but i can view how i see, know , and feel about things...

Understood. I'm not trying to protect JPop, just trying to stop people from making a bunch of "I told you so" posts to people when we are not certain exactly what is going on.

I'm just asking people to post respectfully and not flame any flames.

#679 5 years ago

I too feel lucky to not have put money down on RAZA (for now.. ) but still want JJP to succeed...
By now, he really just needs to get product out of the door...
For those on the secret blog... maybe there's a way to mass revolt and strongly encourage him to work out a deal with Lyman and Stern.. just be a design company only and let the manufacturing/programming experts make it happen.. probably would lose money on MG (even at 40) but might break even with RAZA... at this point he really needs to make the pb community confident that he can accomplish something...

#680 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yep, it' over 50 years ago...how long does the CR last?

Copyright law is complicated (thanks House of Mouse!) but generally speaking for that creation date you're looking at 95 years:

http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/duration.html

Problem is companies like Disney keep lobbying to extend it, so it ends up being even longer.

If it was just some old property that no one was really paying attention to it might be one thing, but Topps dusted it all off in 2012 and did a bunch of new products with it, and has plans for more. So they're going to definitely want to defend their property.

Would suck if the game was actually close to done and Jpop got a cease and desist over the art! Beyond that though, I thought this was supposed to be an original title. Why the hell is he putting Mars Attacks aliens and Robbie the Robot in the art? Surely he doesn't need to borrow from old stuff to make his title.

#681 5 years ago

Honestly, that backglass art was one of probably 20 different versions, and it's all layered (probably in Illustrator) anyway so for him to change the head to something else really wouldn't be difficult. Switching it to the alien head was something that the buyers preferred on the blog, which is why he went with it. TBH, I'd rather a generic head over Ben Heck's head anyway (no offense to Ben). Once you start bringing actual likenesses to the forefront you start dating the game, which is one of the reasons people aren't busting down the doors for a Shaq Attak these days.

#682 5 years ago

He switched out Ben last year, and I even remember commenting about Mars Attacks then. I looked up my post on his blog, and sure enough July 23, 2013 I posted the Mars Attacks comparison and even included a photo from the movie.

So, yeah, I don't get it.

#683 5 years ago

In the light of day, and after popping my blood pressure pill, thinking I might feel differently….I DON'T

I'm not sure really how to even put all this in context or succinctly?

I guess the bottom line is just simply do what you say your are going to do! The excuses, delays, secrecy nonsense etc…What a freaking LETDOWN expo was.

I have been a HUGE Jpop supporter and cheerleader for the 39 months with MG and 32 months with RAZA, can anybody dispute that?

The tipping point came with Expo, he didn't do what he said he was going to do. How did that work out for Jack and the Smaug toy? Honesty and integrity needs to go along with "perfection".

Then I read his post expo comments on the blog and my head explodes!!! I won't post those yet out of respect but it really shows the entire disconnect and where this thing is heading. He was essentially saying "No junk here" in reference to the other guys cabs!

IF he had the $$$, waiting line and financial supporters he would easily take out all of the people that are dissatisfied.

HE CAN'T, there is no money to build MG, he needs another 25 buyers at least to get it done. How is RAZA gonna get built, with AIW.

If there is $$$, just send us a check?

Honestly, I don't need the "courtesy blog", I'd prefer just to know a schedule, update when its gonna get done and tell me when to pay based on milestones achieved.

When you look at Heighway and their website, 13 employees in the picture gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling. Count me in for Alien. I get their model and game plan after one weekend.

When you see Dutch Pinball show up at Expo with an awesome looking pin and then ask money, count me in.

Jack didn't deliver on what he said with Smaug, and Stern is trying again to ship TWD LE with no code or even one for display at Expo.

Thankfully, Expo has delivered options and more importantly CHANGE!

Here is hoping John can get it turned around, as we are all "stuck" in his projects. At the end of the day, I see JJP or somebody else completing these projects with John wrapping up the design. Mark it down. I see no investors coming in to bail him out.

Maybe the Shark Tank would give him pennies on the dollar!

#684 5 years ago

Btw, copyright law and breach thereof is the LEAST of his problems. We know he has great art options and can get around that.

#685 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just saw your post, followed up with another one of mine on the blog!

Can't wait to see the blog, hope it's not deleted before I see it, if so hope you save a copy of what you wrote.

Will add my 2c this afternoon

#686 5 years ago

Wow, I just read this whole thread. I thought the JJP WOZ train was bad, this one cuts the cake. How many games is JPOP making? Magic Girl, RAZA, Alice in Wonderland, and KISS?

I love his stuff, but it seems like a financial manager might want to reign him in a bit.

#687 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Can't wait to see the blog, hope it's not deleted before I see it, if so hope you save a copy of what you wrote.
Will add my 2c this afternoon

I have it all saved via copy and email.

#688 5 years ago

To be honest, considering I put in a request for a refund so long ago.. the potential lawsuit that could very well be brooding has me even more concerned that I may never see my money again. Let alone the fact that I never knew selling my spot privately was even an option, and at this point the possibilities of me being able to do so are next to none.

Very disappointed.. and this is coming from someone who's actually worked on part of the project (MG).

All I know is I've got ~45 days of a job left and could really use my refund.

Some SERIOUS damage control must be done.

Argh..

#689 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Understood. I'm not trying to protect JPop, just trying to stop people from making a bunch of "I told you so" posts to people when we are not certain exactly what is going on.
I'm just asking people to post respectfully and not flame any flames.

But fanning the flames is a pinside tradition

fanflame.jpg
#690 5 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Wow, I just read this whole thread. I thought the JJP WOZ train was bad, this one cuts the cake. How many games is JPOP making? Magic Girl, RAZA, Alice in Wonderland, and KISS?
I love his stuff, but it seems like a financial manager might want to reign him in a bit.

Not Kiss. That was a fishing attempt to get the license that failed. But still the other three.

#691 5 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Ya think!

I forgot about the KISS mock up. I didn't say what others said and/or thought.

WHY? How can you even waste 10 minutes on a license you don't even have and need to get three other pins done?

I'm not sure what his agenda really is? Seriously. Maybe he thought big money investors were gonna roll in a save the day?

#692 5 years ago

Are you guys sure he's out of money and needed to sell the extra 25 spots to raise cash? If you are then you do have cause to be concerned. I do think the first step is to collectively reach out to him and just find out what is the hold up...

#693 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Are you guys sure he's out of money and needed to sell the extra 25 spots to raise cash?

We know the number of machines sold (ish), we know what the price. So it doesn't take much math to figure this out.

#694 5 years ago

Zidware has other cash flow coming in I believe. I will have to do more research but I thought they did software and apps ect?

#695 5 years ago

what a major disappointment this is. who in their right mind would want to be one of the new 25 people putting money into this debacle? if 25 brave souls would step up, what's to say in 12 months he doesn't add another 25 spots?

my guess from reading through all this? the money is gone and there won't be any games made. i really hope i am wrong but jpop comes across as extremely flaky and completely out to lunch putting it mildly.

#696 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Are you guys sure he's out of money and needed to sell the extra 25 spots to raise cash? If you are then you do have cause to be concerned. I do think the first step is to collectively reach out to him and just find out what is the hold up...

Sometimes you gotta spend money to make money. Just imagine if he put RAZA & AIW aside for a moment...laserfocused on MG, the original project. Just. Finished. It. I have to imagine that would instantly boost confidence for current owners and possibly bring in new ones. Lack of a flippable game at this point is the ultimate roadblock - it's frustrating buyers and turning away new ones.

I know this is all in retrospect, but I wish Jpop would have collaborated with Spooky as a designer or art director for a project or two. Even if it wouldn't be a "true Jpop opus", you know you'd end up with a finished game with amazing art. Sell a couple of those to get yourself in a groove...THEN unleash the Jpop ultimate pin. It's clear that his B/W games were fantastic because he was collaborating with other people's strengths - management, engineering, art, programming, music. He is best suited matching his strengths with others.

#697 5 years ago

I have not read the blog yet, but I think we are not being out of bounds to ask when this game will be done or can we get a refund for non delivery.

John said he'd have a major reveal at Expo to me that was code for a flipping prototype, to see the empty cabinet was shocking to say the least.

I don't think the majority of owners are pitchfork wielding, or are saying we need the games ASAP, what we want to see is that it's moving forward.

I've seen enough concept art or workspace pics or nostalgia pics and stories, that's fine for a while but it's time to put up or shut up, at this point I don't know what type of settlement will be left over so it's benifitial to both sides for John to make the pins he has contracted to make, but the ball is in his court.

I think too many have been stroking his ego, if I ask a question he'd deflect and say he's working 7 days a week etc.. Others would say we know you are John keep up the great work.

Believe me the bits he has shown are great, but it's like 20% of a whole pin, I can't imagine what's going on for those 7 day weeks for 3 years, I think a working prototype is more important than fancy hinges or painted vent holes.

#698 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Basic arithmetic would tell anyone that a project years long with this amount of money paid in, would be out of money.

I have to disagree with that. I don't think JPOP is near a cash flow crisis yet, more of a PR crisis. If he needed the money that bad he would have taken it from the additional 25 right away rather than said "the spot is yours, pay me once you see the reveal."

25 spots sold and paid in full on MG = $425,000
100 spots of RAZA at let's say an average collection to date of $5k/machine (I believe it to be more) = $500,000

So even ignoring the additional 25 RAZA he sold to CT, and ignoring AIW, he took in $925k.
So over 3 years, considering he has low overhead (just rent and a few "interns") unless he embezzled the money and paid himself a huge salary then he should have at least a few hundred thousand left. As far as I'm concerned, paying his salary for 3 years to keep him and family alive is his profit, sorry he already spent it, but he's entitled to no further money past salary for 3-4 years.

#699 5 years ago

In guessing on this statement so don't call it as fact.

My guess is since the platform for magic girl, zombie adventure, alice is the same that he is using a portion of the money for each game toward magic girl. Ur seeing some work on raza for that reason to justify him spending some of the money on magic girl. But he's still way under. The worst has got to be coin taker in this deal. If he gave money for his 25 special edition games to be made he's taking the biggest beating of the group if he did.

#700 5 years ago

Multiball1, I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside