Quoted from nintendo:
Just curious, how bad what the CV code prior to the home rom? I own a CV and have the recent home rom which is great but never played one with the old code. What was missing or incomplete?
Lot's of changes between 1.4 and the 2.0 Home Rom. Mostly for the better besides the addition of "Copy Cat" and fewer "Neon Multiballs". Here's some of the changes from the readme.
This is version 2.0H of Cirqus Voltaire. This Home ROM is NOT an official
Williams release, and as such is not supported by that company.
Changes since 1.4:
- The ramp lockup test was NOT clearing the switch status flags when
it started up, this has been fixed.
- If the ramp magnet switch could not start the multiball start LAMP
effect, but the display effect was running, it would re-run the
display effect once the ball reached the lockup. This has been
- Starting final mode now cancels the multiple jackpot.
- Shots are ignored just after starting a new final mode phase.
- Shots are ignored just after adding a ball in phase 3 of Join.
- Added additional tilt check in ramp lockup code.
- Added adjustment to install manual eddy boards.
- Ringmaster is no longer down during sideshow, but IS down during
- Added adjustment to allow all abort-friendly display effects to be
aborted right from the start of the game.
- Possible to abort most display effects.
- Added adjustment to make Acrobats only spot from made switch on
the ramp (instead of enter).
- Added adjustment to enable the 'old' skill shot. Simple skill shot
runs in tournament mode.
- Added adjustment to enable timed Ringmaster mode.
- Added adjustment to skip first Ringmaster defeat.
- Added adjustment to stop Ringmaster magnet catching the ball after WOW.
- Added Copy-Cat video mode.
- Side-Show lamp effect now masks inlane lamps.
- Neon multiball has a significantly reduced chance of running until
one of the regular multiballs has been played.
- Side show will try not to give out two video type modes in a row.
- Added juggler sneaky lock on left loop.
- Boom Balloon will attempt to lower itself if it registers hits while it
should be down, and the ball is hitting other jets.
- All multiballs can be restarted when quickly starting another
multiball. (On an adjustment which defaults OFF).
- Updated Cirqus Member time-stamp to reference from 2001, and system
clock starts at 2002.
- Created some presets for new adjustments.
- Added 'Early' to game over kickout adjustment - It kicks during
- Added adjustments to stop physical HighWire and Juggler locks.
- New juggler lock and start lamp effects.
- Diverter will switch position when balls in play decreases to 1 to
free jams. (Adjustment sets frequency, or disables)
- Added quick jackpot, lit from side-show.
- Removed pinball hotline and web/email info from attract mode.
- Tweaked the speech for skill shot, Ringmaster and Hat-Trick.
- Hat-Trick and Ringmaster modes now work correctly together.
- Test Report messages regarding disabled hardware will only show
up in Test mode .. Stopping DOT on home games.
- BackBox Luck switch will not be marked bad if the backbox is disabled.
(However it will still show up in the test report if it is bad.)
- 'Load Cannon' award on the outlanes has been modified to give
- Game restart is now correctly handled during Side Show.
- Added delay to Boom Balloon timer so background display effect
shows starting time.
- Added feature adjustment to disable timed spot-marvel (off the
- Added 'Clear Hardware Errors' utility.
- Spot Marvel disabled while no marvels can be spotted.
- Timed spot marvels (off the inlane) are not lit at all if no
remaining marvels can be spotted.
- Added music and speech when Join The Cirqus is ready.
- Added new Join The Cirqus phase 'Acrobats Spin': Player must score
100 spins to win. Target spins set by new Feature Adjustment.
- Added second Join The Cirqus phase: Player must score 3 million
points (from roving hurry-ups) to win. Final score set by new Feature
- New Cirqus phases played second time player reaches Join. Added new
adjustment to set this.
- Add ball/score to background display effect of phase 2 of Join
- Join The Cirqus intro display effects can be aborted at ball-start
and the second (or more) time through.
- Skill Shot lit at ball start, during Join The Cirqus to advance the
mode. Ball is held during intro effects (which can be aborted).
- Timer adjustments for Kangaroo Video mode and Cannon Fire Mode
can be set to 'OFF' to disable these modes.
- If all marvels except the Acrobats Marvel have been awarded, but
the Acrobats mode is active, then that marvel will be spotted.
- Added pause feature to the coin-door. Opening the door disables
the flippers, stops mode timers, and starts a ball saver (2 seconds
for each ball in play). Balls are re-launched once the door is closed.
- Fixed some small glitches in the ball lock and multiball start
- Removed 'Player One' speech during single player games. Ball serve
speech only plays 5 times.
- Modified Backbox disabled adjustment so that the time between kicks
can also be set. Changed adjustment text to "BBOX. KICK DELAY".
- Added more compensation logic to Highwire ramp: lock (or multiball)
will be awarded if no scoring occurs 5 seconds after the ramp magnet
releases the ball. This is so the player receives the correct lock/
multiball sequence even if a lockup switch is failing.
- Improved Ringmaster Battle logic.
- Diverter remains unenergized for several seconds after the wire-ramp
- Added feature adjustment 'QUICK ARC MBALL.'. When set YES, the ball
will NOT be stopped on the ramp magnet when Strike An Arc Multiball
is started along with a Highwire Multiball lock (or start).