(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 487.
#6601 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

This is crazy. When I posted earlier that Kaneda should get a perma-ban, in no way did I ever imagine he actually was working with Zidware. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around this one.

This mess keeps getting more and more strange by the day. What next? Gary Cubeta as CFO of Zidware?

#6602 4 years ago

Why does anyone believe a word kaneda says? I'll believe it when jpop declares that he's hired a d-bag from New York for marketing help.

#6603 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Why does anyone believe a word kaneda says? I'll believe it when jpop declares that he's hired a d-bag from New York for marketing help.

Seems like he proved it to TigerLaw and the mods, enough for them to let the account stay.

#6604 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

This mess keeps getting more and more strange by the day. What next? Gary Cubeta as CFO of Zidware?

Maybe now he should hire Choggard & put him in charge of quality control & distribution

#6605 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Maybe now he should hire Choggard & put him in charge of quality control & distribution

Yep....and he should put Wes and Vonnie D in charge of finances.

#6606 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I'll believe it when jpop declares that he's hired a d-bag from New York for marketing help.

Why? Because John has demonstrated such good judgement the last 4 years in how he conducts his business?

#6607 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

& they could also hire Kevin as a consultant?

#6608 4 years ago

I seriously doubt that this is a case where JPop sought out the services of Kaneda. I'd guess quite the opposite: Kaneda probably started sending messages to John telling him how he could help him out with marketing. Probably didn't cost JPop a penny, which is right up his alley.

#6609 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

& they could also hire Kevin as a consultant?

He's already head of licensing.

#6610 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I seriously doubt that this is a case where JPop sought out the services of Kaneda. I'd guess quite the opposite: Kaneda probably started sending messages to John telling him how he could help him out with marketing. Probably didn't cost JPop a penny, which is right up his alley.

Bingo. Head of the class!

#6611 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I know that alley you take a right on Broke then a left on Richard and it is down about 100 ft. on the left.
It is very narrow with a dead end and no way to turn around so you have to back out.

#6612 4 years ago

Today I found a Carmello Candy Bar in my dresser that I apparently stashed away a long time ago for a late night snack.....i mean a long time ago, experation date January 2013, I'm sitting here eating it (dont judge me) and reading this thread for the first time in months in amazement. My advice stick to ordering from Stern, JJP, and Spooky. Companies that have shipped games.

#6613 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

To be fair to Kaneda who I've instructed not to post further tonight, he says this is true and has some evidence to support it. He also says via pm he has permission direct from Robin to have this second account I have frozen.
I find this hard to believe but if it is true I will certainly apologize to him tomorrow.

I'm not allowing a duplicate account in this case. In fact, I hardly ever allow them.

In Kaneda's defense, having just re-read my e-mail communication with him, I'll be the first to admit that I was not 100% clear in my e-mails to him regarding this matter. I therefore do not think a ban against his original account is warranted.

The ZidwarePR account will remain blocked.

#6614 4 years ago

And here I was thinking about going to the zoo today......

#6615 4 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I'm not allowing a duplicate account in this case. In fact, I hardly ever allow them.
In Kaneda's defense, having just re-read my e-mail communication with him, I'll be the first to admit that I was not 100% clear in my e-mails to him regarding this matter. I therefore do not think a ban against his original account is warranted.
The ZidwarePR account will remain blocked.

Is he still banned from this thread? I don't really care, I don't see his posts anyways, I just want to know if John really is doing PR with someone who's not even allowed to post in the thread representing his company.

#6617 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is he still banned from this thread? I don't really care, I don't see his posts anyways, I just want to know if John really is doing PR with someone who's not even allowed to post in the thread representing his company.

I think the real joke here is that John would feel the need for a PR person period. He needs less attention on himself right now, not more.

#6618 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is he still banned from this thread?

He should be, the previous thread eject was from totally unrelated posts. The problem with putting him on ignore is he creates so much collateral damage, all discussion on the thread is affected, regardless of whether you see his posts.

#6619 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is he still banned from this thread?

You'll have to ask the mod team that. I'm not even sure why Kaneda got booted from this thread. Sorry, I'm not all knowing when it comes to moderation decisions and thread ejects

#6620 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Once again, kaneda making it about "him". I am challenged to recall coming across someone more narcissistic.

So, what, like 3 pages after my post of mostly kaneda talk. Exactly what he craves. Unbelievable.

#6621 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

And FrankFurhther as their new Community Manager.

#6622 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

He should be, the previous thread eject was from totally unrelated posts. The problem with putting him on ignore is he creates so much collateral damage, all discussion on the thread is affected, regardless of whether you see his posts.

"Pigpen is a human soil bank who raises a cloud of dust on a perfectly clean street and passes out gum drops that are invariably black." -- Charles M. Schulz

http://peanuts.wikia.com/wiki/%22Pig-Pen%22

image.jpg

#6623 4 years ago

back to JPOP
images-1.jpeg

#6624 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I think the real joke here is that John would feel the need for a PR person period. He needs less attention on himself right now, not more.

It definitely says a lot though, doesn't it? Forget Kaneda's stupidity, news at 11, but for John to think that it was even a good idea to hold out on the owners group in the name of an exclusive for Wired is just insanity.

I mean, much love to my people at Wired, not disparaging them, but so 20,000 people, give or take, read a piece on Zidware (educated insider guess, could be more or less) and then what? There are no games for sale, and let's be honest, some random reader of Wired is very unlikely to think buying a $17,000 pinball is a great spur of the moment idea.

So it comes down in the end to ego. He'd rather get his name rung out there than take care of the people who get him this far in the first place.

#6625 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Yeah a strange project gets even stranger.

... oh yeah very Strange

John is coming thru. You people tend to forget what a secretive type he is. These games are gonna be beautiful.

#6626 4 years ago

omg... i've got some catchin-up to do

jpop-1.png

#6627 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There are no games for sale

AIW?

#6629 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

... oh yeah very Strange
John is coming thru. You people tend to forget what a secretive type he is. These games are gonna be beautiful.

If you call coming thru not having a whitewood after what 3-4 years then you are a supreme optimist.

#6630 4 years ago

He closed the thread and deleted his original post. For the sake of archival here it is:

"After waiting all day for the mods to let me clarify some things in the JPOP thread, it seems I have to start a new one to explain a few things. I know that many of you won't care what I say and to those of you I ask you to keep an open mind. Here goes.
- I offered John help with PR starting in November to prepare for what I thought was a Magic Girl December reveal.
- I did a lot of work for John, mainly coming up with some creative launch ideas. The idea was to launch these pins in a way that was, well, more magical than the standard launch.
- There are many types of PR. (Event planning, media relations, issues and crisis, etc.). I am helping John primarily with media relations. But as you'll see from the plan, there's nothing to pitch until a game is ready to flip...which is why, like everyone else, I've been encouraging him to finish MG. John needs issues and crisis help more than anything right now. I gave him the same advice I give all my clients going through a crisis...Tell the truth and be 100% honest. I hope he does so soon.
- You may hate me on here, but I've got 15 years of media relations under my belt. Lots of you saying brining me on board is a new low for Zidware. Maybe in your eyes, but I think I've proven on many occasions I know how to get press. But this is not about me. I simply connect whoever I'm pitching to the media. If any of you know friends who work in PR, they'll tell you, it's a thankless profession.
- The WIRED exclusive is NOT a terrible thing. Not sure why Aurich is crapping on his own brother's at Conde Naste. The goal was to have Wired play it for the first time and then it would be at the following Expo. In an ideal world, I would time it so that the WIRED story would hit on a Wednesday/Thursday leading up to an expo. WIRED would also do a balanced story and they know very well about the frustrations associated with this pin. I told them it was the Chinese Democracy of pinball...it may be the best pin ever, if it comes out. That's what makes it an interesting story. And I don't spin shit when I pitch media, I tell it like it is.
- I am not paid by John. I am not employed by John. I do not speak for John. In fact I hardly ever talk to John. I'll tell you guys this...it's almost impossible to work with John at times. He's 100% into something and then I don't hear from him for 2 weeks when I need an immediate answer on something. But that's John.
- I'm truly sorry that I have rubbed many of you the wrong way. I'm definitely ashamed by some of my previous behavior. Definitely something I need to work on. But I respect this community and the love it has for one of the world's greatest hobbies.
- The plan you are about to see is just suggestions I put together for John. John has not committed to doing any of this. I had to block out many of the ideas because I still want to do them and that would ruin the surprise. This pin will market itself. I know that. You know that. And nobody gives a shit about it's marketing...they just want the pin. When, and IF a machine is ready, I do believe it deserves to be launched in a unique way. Nate over at Coast to Coast says it all the time...Pinball marketing is so old school it hurts. Just ripping off a sheet at an expo is not the way to go (all the time). That's not me shitting on Expo's guys, it's just me saying you could get a bit more original than that.
- I really hope everyone involved with this project gets their games in a timely manner. Healthy and happiness to all.
Chris"

#6631 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

He closed the thread and deleted his original post.

Called it! LOL

Quoted from Razorbak86:

This, too, shill pass.

And, no, that wasn't a typo.

#6632 4 years ago

To add to the archiving of Kaneda's marketing plan, I happened to have saved his second pdf. To be clear, I am in no way associated with any of the parties involved (nor do I wish to be).

389563.pdf

#6633 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Having people contacting Wired forced me out. John never should have talked about it before it was a done deal.

Kaneda got JPOPPED!

#6634 4 years ago

Kaneda is good peoples. He's just a bit of a troll. Nobody's perfect. I definitely consider him one of the most passionate gamers on Pinside. And he has far more style and originality than most people on here being able to turn a bedroom in a nice area of Manhattan into a very nice looking small arcade. He's absolutely of the mantra of "Quality over Quantity" which is why you can see his attraction to Zidware.

#6635 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Kaneda got JPOPPED!

ya think the AG contacted Wired ?

#6636 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Kaneda is good peoples. He's just a bit of a troll. Nobody's perfect. I definitely consider him one of the most passionate gamers on Pinside. And he has far more style and originality than most people on here being able to turn a bedroom in a nice area of Manhattan into a very nice looking small arcade. He's absolutely of the mantra of "Quality over Quantity" which is why you can see his attraction to Zidware.

I checked this Strange guy's IP address and can surprisingly confirm he is not kaneda.

I make this post in jest of course with no offense meant to either Strange or kaneda.

#6638 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I checked this Strange guy's IP address and can surprisingly confirm he is not kaneda.
I make this post in jest of course with no offense meant to either Strange or kaneda.

Thank god. I don't think I could stomach having see you apologize to him twice in one day.

#6639 4 years ago

Jpop , this thread, Kaneda and his fan boy make me feel like I am tripping !

#6640 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

- The WIRED exclusive is NOT a terrible thing. Not sure why Aurich is crapping on his own brother's at Conde Naste.

WTF? I'm not crapping on Wired (it's Condé Nast btw, not nasty) I'm watching out for them so they don't get snow jobbed by a PR story that doesn't include all the realities. Nothing but love for Wired, last time I was at their main office in San Francisco it was still under construction, looking forward to seeing it fully finished next time I'm up there. Their new EIC is their former creative director, which is my job title at Ars, so I love that someone from our ranks made it to the top.

Whatever.

Thanks for quoting that ChrisVW, I don't see threads by that particular poster.

#6641 4 years ago

How common is it to do "PR Work" for someone who doesn't pay you or rarely communicate with you?

I didn't know that unsolicited pro bono PR was such a thing?

#6642 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

for John to think that it was even a good idea to hold out on the owners group in the name of an exclusive for Wired is just insanity.

Nothing new, he already did that with his public reveal with his Adobe interviews, which turned out to be more information than even the owners (under NDA) had received to date, and it's likely still true.

Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, much love to my people at Wired, not disparaging them, but so 20,000 people, give or take, read a piece on Zidware (educated insider guess, could be more or less) and then what? There are no games for sale, and let's be honest, some random reader of Wired is very unlikely to think buying a $17,000 pinball is a great spur of the moment idea.

This! As all games are spoken for, there is little need for PR unless JPop wants to get investors or sell another title, but doing that would tick off fully paid owners still waiting for all 3 games promised, and already approaching vaporware status.

Kanada did well by requiring a fully functioning game in order to move forward with the interview. The whole point was to do PR for a game launch, but there is no launch date in sight. The only PR needed for the foreseeable future is to smooth over this situation with existing paid owners, but that list is small enough that direct communication is better. And now we are full circle.

#6643 4 years ago

I have to say, skipping launching the game at Expo in favor of having it randomly show up on location for a few hours has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard. That's just incredibly out of touch.

Let's see, I could put my game in front of the most influential pinball audience of the year, who come in from around the world, all in one spot, and dominate the media conversation for weeks.

Or, I could put my game into a random spot, where it might be played by some people who have no idea what it is, and then cart it out again before word even had a chance to spread. But lol, it's magical and unexpected because Jpop is a wizard!

Don't hire a PR person who doesn't understand pinball. FFS.

Zidware PR Plan

#6644 4 years ago

I should add that we shouldn't forget that Jpop's warranty is voided if the game is ever put on location.

#6645 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I should add that we shouldn't forget that Jpop's warranty is voided if the game is ever put on location.

I'm sure kaneda will handle repairs at these locations.

#6646 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

omg... i've got some catchin-up to do
jpop-1.png (Click image to enlarge)

Nothing New is being said. Whatever you see on this page is what has been said over and over. now the zidware pr is a new twist for sure, you checked at the right time!!

#6647 4 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

How common is it to do "PR Work" for someone who doesn't pay you or rarely communicate with you?
I didn't know that unsolicited pro bono PR was such a thing?

Sometimes with pro bono work, you actually get what you pay for.

image.jpg

#6648 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Sometimes with pro bono work, you actually get what you pay for.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Hey!! Single handedly getting Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy album released paid for those Turtles sheets!!!

rd.

#6649 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

If you call coming thru not having a whitewood after what 3-4 years then you are a supreme optimist.

If it takes another 3-4 years for JPOP to produce another game in the quality of Cirqus Voltaire IMO I feel the wait will be worth it...

#6650 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

If it takes another 3-4 years for JPOP to produce another game in the quality of Cirqus Voltaire IMO I feel the wait will be worth it...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside