(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 122 of 487.
#6051 4 years ago

Hey Jack, paying attention here?

Call me or a few dozen others.

#6052 4 years ago

Truly sad. Jpop just lost another great supporter (Doug (iceman)).

If Stern or JJP are interested they would be waiting for the opportune time to try to acquire the assets with minimum risk and cost. Honestly can't imagine Stern would be interested. Though I don't know.

sigh

#6053 4 years ago

If the Iceman has thrown in the towel ... She's all done. Stick a fork in it.

I'm having a Corona for you Icey ... And another for all you other guys who are in on this.

Man .. I'm frustrated not getting my $200 Whitewater topper for 2 years, I can only image what a pain in the ass this is for you guys.

rd.

#6054 4 years ago

Well, this thread got more depressing than it already was.

So John's MO is to stop taking calls from people trying to help him with some tough love. He blogged about that Project Manager, then stopped taking his calls. Now it's Ice.

I'm sure his enablers still get a response from him, and to those people I say you're going to have to accept your part of this. Blowing smoke has only acerbated his condition of avoidance.

John is DAMN lucky he didn't take credit cards and paypal for payments, because the "run on the bank" is what officially killed Skit-B. In this case we have no easy way to force his hand.

#6056 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

John is DAMN lucky he didn't take credit cards and paypal for payments, because the "run on the bank" is what officially killed Skit-B. In this case we have no easy way to force his hand.

I'm amazed with the amount of sympathy he still gets from all of this. It's like saying the grifter's lucky that we gave him the $ in a duffel bag that fits in the overhead compartment of his private jet.

We just need to keep "hope". Unless "Hope" is the name of a judge who's doing a court order to give out refunds, nothing's going to change. I thought iceman gave John a kick in the pants to change it for the better.

#6057 4 years ago

Just posted this to his blog:

"Nero Fiddled While Rome Burned"

John, it is completely disheartening that you are not taking Doug's calls. Your business is in real trouble, and your way of dealing with it is to avoid the people that can help you. You had a project manager that was supposed to steer this to the end, then you stopped taking his calls. Doug has offered his immense financial expertise to help guide you and you now avoid him.

You avoid your customers in general.

You only make yourself available to the enablers and cheerleaders, who are doing you no favors. The quality of artwork and lighting system will not save this. Only sound business and financial planning will guide your business to success. Artwork and lighting will also not score you your mythical investor you are looking for.

Instead of dealing with these issues head on, you distract with silly html reveals for games that can't be demoed properly. These reveal pages are the antithesis of "The Lebowski Effect". They will not generate excitement, and certainly will not drum up any more money.

There are IMMENSE resources available to you amongst your existing customers. Leaders in business and finance, the kinds of people with the success to buy machines like these. Instead you spur them away, looking for I don't know what.

Skit-B went down in flames this month not just because of the license issues, but because the company was run like a disaster and there was no way they'd ever get machines out. You don't share the license issues, but you do share the business and avoidance issues. This can end very badly for everyone.

#6058 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I'm amazed with the amount of sympathy he still gets from all of this.

Prove that statement. Show us in recent months where this amazing amount of sympathy for Jpop is.
What a crock of shit.

#6059 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I'm amazed with the amount of sympathy he still gets from all of this. It's like saying the grifter's lucky that we gave him the $ in a duffel bag that fits in the overhead compartment of his private jet.
We just need to keep "hope". Unless "Hope" is the name of a judge who's doing a court order to give out refunds, nothing's going to change. I thought iceman gave John a kick in the pants to change it for the better.

#6060 4 years ago

Probably referring to me feeling sorry for him. I still can, yet think he's a disaster and his life is ruined.

#6061 4 years ago

That may be, Froloc, but the overwhelming content of your comments have been critical of Jpop. And one person does not make a crowd. I will add that your critical comments here and on the blog have been spot on.

What he posted is Pinside drivel.

#6062 4 years ago

I'm thinking that these are some of the cheerleaders.

Cheerleaders.png
#6063 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Prove that statement. Show us in recent months where this amazing amount of sympathy for Jpop is.
What a crock of shit.

Like I've said before, there are plenty of big JPop supporters on his FB page, including those who want to pay money to get in on AIW.

#6064 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Like I've said before, there are plenty of big JPop supporters on his FB page, including those who want to pay money to get in on AIW.

I remember a post however many pages back (but not THAT long ago) where someone staggered in here and was wanting to put money down on AIW because it was their "dream theme".

Honestly the only way that would make sense from my perspective was if it was a secondary account of John's. But how many (real) people out there are like that and just have not or would not come across this thread?

Even one at this point is too many IMO... but I am sure it will happen.

#6065 4 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

Cheerleaders.png

Excellent point. I was viewing the comment from the owner's perspective, which we are pissed off, and based on Pinside comments only. Those cheerleaders I believe are on the outside fringe of this controversy.

#6066 4 years ago

I don't blame the facebook fans, it looks cool and they have no money tied up. We've also never had an experience in pinball before where something can APPEAR so polished and complete, and yet not even be a functioning game that is years late. So what they are judging is in their eyes a pretty final game, even though its not.

John has been masterful in showing glimpses, fish eyed photos, etc, dropping little bread crumbs to create his desired effect (fawning). Problem is of course we see the emperor has no clothes, or in this case, an actual game that can be played.

#6067 4 years ago

What he shows is beautiful. Without any perspective it's easy to cheer for jpop. When you become aware of the whole situation it's boned.
56291818.jpg

#6068 4 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

Cheerleaders.png

I'm actually nauseous reading those cheerleading comments. I quit reading that blog long ago. Today is going to be a long freaking day.

#6069 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm actually nauseous reading those cheerleading comments.

It is pretty nauseating to see him resort to getting cheap praise from facebook while he's ignoring the people that have put good money in to fund his venture. He doesn't get the praise from us anymore, so he just stopped posting things.

I'm sure a big part of going away from the blogs to static html is to shut that down.

#6070 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm sure a big part of going away from the blogs to static html is to shut that down.

It's not a "big part", it's 100% of the reason he's making the switch.

#6071 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

What he shows is beautiful. Without any perspective it's easy to cheer for jpop. When you become aware of the whole situation it's boned.
56291818.jpg

What exactly is "the whole situation" at this point? From reading the past 3 pages it sounds like
1) Some people have asked for refunds and are being ignored
2) JPop continues to miss deadlines (although still seems to be making progress on games, just slow)
3) There are apparently vendors that JPop owes money to?

Has #3 been confirmed and are we talking about a large amount of money which is the concerning part?

Does this sum it up? Or am I missing other major red flags?

#6072 4 years ago

I am not sure if at this point "owners" is an accurate term.

If I paid for something years ago, it was not delivered, and after repeated requests for a refund I was ignored I am not sure I would identify myself as an "owner" of anything. I can think of some other words, but owner is not one of them.

#6073 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Or am I missing other major red flags?

On an issue like this take the time to read back vs jumping in and stirring the pot.

#6074 4 years ago

1) Lots of people have asked for refunds and are being ignored.

2) There is no progress. He just abandons games when they get stuck to start new ones.

3) There is no apparently about the vendors owed money, these are facts. And no, it's not a huge amount of money, which is the concerning part. Because if he can't even pay smaller invoices ...

What you're missing is John has: no programmer, no factory, no plan, no business. Just a lot of toys and art. Lots of people have tried to step up to help him, all of them have been pushed aside in one fashion or another. Most if not all of them have washed their hands of bothering to try again, and don't recommend anyone else bother either.

#6075 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

On an issue like this take the time to read back vs jumping in and stirring the pot.

How am I stirring the pot? I spent 45 minutes reading the last 3 pages before posting. I was just asking if I'm missing something else.

#6076 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What you're missing is John has: no programmer, no factory, no plan, no business. Just a lot of toys and art.

Oof. I see. Although, I thought this was the "production facility", no? Things looked organized from these pictures. Per John "Here are some “inside pics” of our massive woodworking factory and auxiliary build space".

https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/magic-production-facility/

#6077 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I can't believe he's blown you off after only a month or so.

For those who previously tried or actually did some work for him, and those of us who know them, this is not a surprise at all. It was clear it would be an up hill battle.

I still hope someday he wakes up and realizes he needs help and actually accepts it, but no way I would put money on that happening. Seems there will always be the next person who thinks they can fix the situation, and maybe someday that will happen. I hope so for those who have money riding on it.

#6078 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

How am I stirring the pot? I spent 45 minutes reading the last 3 pages before posting. I was just asking if I'm missing something else.

I know you dont mean it but asking owners who are fed up to describe to you why, is a bit of a kick in the pants.
I think Aurich summed it up well. Only part missing is details about his ability to design vs run a company. For many seeing a lot of art and design in AIW with no progress on MG was sickening. Additionally he is flat out lying now. Said he had programmers and they told us they were never on board. Some of many flags.

#6079 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Oof. I see. Although, I thought this was the "production facility", no? Things looked organized from these pictures. Per John "Here are some “inside pics” of our massive woodworking factory and auxiliary build space".
https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/magic-production-facility/

Knowing now what I know I would point out that he perfectly placed his same two cabinets out. Nothing more there. The space behind is building something but they look like arcade style game housings.
I see nothing more than two empty boxes laid out in someones warehouse.

But lets be honest. What he is creating or could possibly create may be the most beautiful games ever.
So now the trick is how to make it happen. Thats what folks are trying to figure out.

#6080 4 years ago

Removed post at request of concretehard.

#6081 4 years ago

It would be like saying Skit-b had a production facility because the virtualcabs guy has a place where he makes the cabinets.

#6082 4 years ago

Just posted to Facebook.

Careful with those ramps, Eugene.

image.jpg

#6083 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Actually, the GLM bill was large, it was for over 1000 boards (exact total was not revealed).

I'm speculating here, but I thought that the GLM boards in question were the little LED PCBs? Those aren't particularly expensive per, we're not talking about big CPU boards. Unless I'm wrong, that was just the impression I got from comments on a photo.

That, plus the $7k to Cointaker are relatively tame amounts in the grand scheme, so by not paying them you just wonder if he's

a) broke

b) maliciously not paying

c) so incapable of basic business skills that he cannot even handle paying his vendors

Pick one, they all suck.

And now, what? We're back to paper and foamcore ramps? Black and white art glued down to a white wood? Has progress backslid that badly that the supposedly finished cabinets are no longer viable, or is he just posting random, horribly out of date MG photos?

#6084 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm speculating here, but I thought that the GLM boards in question were the little LED PCBs? Those aren't particularly expensive per, we're not talking about big CPU boards. Unless I'm wrong, that was just the impression I got from comments on a photo.
That, plus the $7k to Cointaker are relatively tame amounts in the grand scheme, so by not paying them you just wonder if he's
a) broke
b) maliciously not paying
c) so incapable of basic business skills that he cannot even handle paying his vendors
Pick one, they all suck.

If I had to guess (cuz that's all I can do), I'm thinking maybe he needed the money to finish more things in order to get the remaining balances from the pre-orders, then he can afford to pay the vendors. Perhaps he thought this would have been done a while ago, and a slight delay wouldn't bother any of them. However, now we're years into it.....multiple burnt bridges and it's become a game of putting out fires.

#6086 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

For those who previously tried or actually did some work for him, and those of us who know them, this is not a surprise at all. It was clear it would be an up hill battle.
I still hope someday he wakes up and realizes he needs help and actually accepts it, but no way I would put money on that happening. Seems there will always be the next person who thinks they can fix the situation, and maybe someday that will happen. I hope so for those who have money riding on it.

Agreed, though I feel Zidware has burned too many bridges and now is in the process of cementing a poor reputation to it's name. John's running out of "the next person."

The sadness for me is it seems these games only get made if Jpop steps out of the way. I hope I'm wrong

#6087 4 years ago

#6088 4 years ago
#6089 4 years ago

At this risk of seeming idealistic at the thought that mg might be played one day by pinball players, does anyone else not like the idea of the ball being covered by those rabbits in the inlane just before it gets to the flippers? Seems like an odd design choice.

#6090 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

At this risk of seeming idealistic at the thought that mg might be played one day by pinball players, does anyone else not like the idea of the ball being covered by those rabbits in the inlane just before it gets to the flippers? Seems like an odd design choice.

Don't worry by the time it's playable it'll be a hologram image, which you will be able to see the ball as well, in fact the hologram rabbits will hop about the PF as you play.

#6091 4 years ago

Reading all of this just makes me so sad. Is it that bad to believe that a great designer/artist could not have made one or two pins even at those high prices. I should have known better when AIW was announced and I had to hear about it here as I told John I wanted to purchase everyone of his future pins with the same number. He had me a customer for life and I bet many more,why could he just not build one and concentrate on that. I am reminded of a commercial when a fellow was in a hold and was trying to get out of debt or something and the voiceover said "The best way to get out is to stop digging"

Happy Easter or Passover! I wish I was looking at unboxing pics.

#6093 4 years ago

It's 2012.... there is a video of that flipping whitewood on his facebook now. Everything is going to be ok!!!

The insane thing is he's been pretty clear in the past he only wants to show and be judged on the final work, so that is why he doesn't show the work in progress, but then after all this time, years later, when we know (and have seen) a much more finished version he trots out this old white wood.

#6094 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's 2012.... there is a video of that flipping whitewood on his facebook now. Everything is going to be ok!!!
The insane thing is he's been pretty clear in the past he only wants to show and be judged on the final work, so that is why he doesn't show the work in progress, but then after all this time, years later, when we know (and have seen) a much more finished version he trots out this old white wood.

He has to be reading this, because he's doing a huge Facebook dump today of whatever he can show.

My question is, if he's flipping an old white wood and not his "nearly completed" game, how much you want to bet that the white-wood is built on a working hardware platform that he rejected in favor of his own "re-designed" boards? It's the only reason I can think of for using an old white wood for his quick "flipping" video. If the new board set was working as StevenP claimed, why wouldn't you show a flipping game on one of the 3 "almost done" prototypes that were shown in the Adobe video? My guess is because he doesn't actually have a working board set or framework yet.

Looks like scrambling to me.

#6095 4 years ago

He may be starting to receive emails from the Illinois Attorney General reporting that there are complaints coming in.

#6096 4 years ago

I have to point out the sad fact that the Magic Girl reveal was December 17th (complete with new website launch) and here we are 4 months later and the best videos of it were seen today with that early whitewood.

#6097 4 years ago

My family leases quite a few factories to various businesses from multinationals to 1 man operations. Over the years some go broke.

The tactics Jpop is using, calming callers saying everything will be alright, bringing out irrelevant info is what all of these broke tenants have all done. Throw in not paying vendors and I would be very wary.

In fact personally I would demand a full or partial refund and not give up until I got it.

Good luck to all concerned.

#6098 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

there is a video of that flipping whitewood on his facebook now

Yea, that's just.. goofy? backwards? grasping for straws? There's no reason to show a flipping whitewood with cardboard ramps if you have what appears to be fully populated playfields with art and prototype plastic ramps. Clearly whatever was running the whitewood, is not what he plans on running production pins (or is too busy with art to transfer the guts over).

#6099 4 years ago

Hold on.... can someone who's been to his studio let us know one way or the other if those 3 populated Magic Girls we've seen are sitting there without guts? Is that even possible? Are we that far behind?

I would agree that that is the only explanation at hand for why you show some old whitewood instead of a finished playfield.

#6100 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I think it's more disturbing that the word "believe" is written on the PF.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 122 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside