(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 487.
#551 5 years ago

Either way when its done it will be amazing..his pr Buisness needs some help lol.

#552 5 years ago

Has anyone mentioned that the translite also has Robbie the Robot? Did he license that?

#553 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Has anyone mentioned that the translite also has Robbie the Robot? Did he license that?

Didn't see that... He must have asked for license work?

#554 5 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Was there a time when he was trying to build with b/w style parts? I thought his intention from the beginning was to design all new parts.

It was supposed to be/is B/W parts.

#555 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Considering you are an owner and finding out the number was upped; I would say effectively communicating fundamental changes to his owners would be high on your list too

AGREED as of right now John has not told me he's changing the amount of MG's so frankly it's a rumor started by Iceman who I don't even know. As an owner of MG and RAZA it would be nice to be better informed.

#556 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Didn't see that... He must have asked for license work?

I dislike all the aliens and robot stuff but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he licensed it. He couldn't be so wreckless as to think that no one would notice or that he could get away with not licensing it...

#557 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

AGREED as of right now John has not told me he's changing the amount of MG's so frankly it's a rumor started by Iceman who I don't even know. As an owner of MG and RAZA it would be nice to be better informed.

It's not a rumor Iceman started.i heard it before he ever said it. it's a fact that its been said and jpop plans as of right now. U should call him

#558 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I dislike all the aliens and robot stuff but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he licensed it. He couldn't be so wreckless as to think that no one would notice or that he could get away with not licensing it...

You are seeing the failure of OCD behavior. The stuff he was working on was not good enough so he basically blended a bunch of other successful brands as a form of crisis management.

This guy has failed and you all should admit it and make a run on the bank to end the pain.

#559 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

It blows my mind that those of you who have large sums of money committed to this are confused, uninformed, and not in agreement with each other about what is happening around these builds.

#560 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

It blows my mind that those of you who have large sums of money committed to this are confused, uninformed, and not in agreement with each other about what is happening around these builds.

I think we all might need to be more active and bit more critical on the "courtesy blog".

#561 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I think we all might need to be more active and bit more critical on the "courtesy blog".

Until you get the "user can't comment" notice.

JPop needs reigned in.

#562 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

JPop needs reigned in.

Touche!

I found out after a Google search that if you sign up for email notifications and reply to the email it will post your email reply as a comment and that actually works.

#563 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

JPop needs reigned in.

Hold on, you're saying a paying customer has been blocked from the blog for asking questions?

#564 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Hold on, you're saying a paying customer has been blocked from the blog for asking questions?

Cannot comment, others too I think.

#565 5 years ago

I was going to update the blog but I can't post on Wordpress from my phone.
Flying home in 2 hours...
The tour was really cool

Summary
May not be for everyone with the long wait but when it gets completed it will be ballsy

#566 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Me. Others too I think.

That is downright unacceptable.

#567 5 years ago

Lawsuit time.

#568 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Call it whatever you want or call John himself. What part of that don't you get? Others here have confirmation cards from John. You know, Jpop

#569 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Apparently everyone is supposed to individually call JPop to find out whether there are 13, 17, 20, 40, 50 or some other number of MGs being produced. Sounds much more sensible than an email blast or forum post.

#570 5 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

You are seeing the failure of OCD behavior. The stuff he was working on was not good enough so he basically blended a bunch of other successful brands as a form of crisis management.
This guy has failed and you all should admit it and make a run on the bank to end the pain.

You sure are a sad Sack!

#571 5 years ago

I saw Jpop walking around all over Expo and even at the Pinball Life party. I was surprised that people were not all over him asking about where his games were. I half expected to see an angry mob following him around. Maybe next year....

#572 5 years ago

Post edited by ChrisVW: deleted

#573 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I was going to update the blog but I can't post on Wordpress from my phone.
Flying home in 2 hours...
The tour was really cool
Summary
May not be for everyone with the long wait but when it gets completed it will be ballsy

Deff will when it finally gets done

#574 5 years ago

I was super excited when I first got in on RAZA. I know there has been some cool stuff on the blog, but it is all shown in enough of a vacuum that I don't have any real idea what the playfield layout is, much less the game play. I know a lot of the art and a lot of the individual features, but I have no idea about how it fits together.

I have also been confused about the predominance of aliens and lack of actual zombies. When you step back and think about the artistic beauty JPOP is known for, it is hard to imagine zombies in this context, although Spooky did create an aesthetically pleasing zombie character. This has always felt more alien invasion to me than zombie apocalypse. Not sure why he's gone that way.

I'm crazy, but I'm actually in on 5 pre-orders at the moment, one of them being JPOP's RAZA. Unfortunately I've lost all my enthusiasm over this game as I just can't see the finish line. I don't want to get out, because I think (hope) it will be awesome some day. But frankly, even if I wanted to sell my spot, who would be willing to buy their way in now anyway. JPOP has pooched this entire situation and screwed anyone who might need to back out in the process.

I've paid in half way on this and while I'm not totally assuming my money is gone, I've gotten to the point where I'll be really excited when (if) I find out I owe the rest because the game is ready. I don't have this level of skepticism with any of the other pre-orders, even though several are technically with lesser know commodities.

#575 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Me. Others too I think.

What was the nature of your comment that got you blocked? How much did it differ from what I posted?

#576 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I was super excited when I first got in on RAZA. I know there has been some cool stuff on the blog, but it is all shown in enough of a vacuum that I don't have any real idea what the playfield layout is, much less the game play. I know a lot of the art and a lot of the individual features, but I have no idea about how it fits together.
I have also been confused about the predominance of aliens and lack of actual zombies. When you step back and think about the artistic beauty JPOP is known for, it is hard to imagine zombies in this context, although Spooky did create an aesthetically pleasing zombie character. This has always felt more alien invasion to me than zombie apocalypse. Not sure why he's gone that way.
I'm crazy, but I'm actually in on 5 pre-orders at the moment, one of them being JPOP's RAZA. Unfortunately I've lost all my enthusiasm over this game as I just can't see the finish line. I don't want to get out, because I think (hope) it will be awesome some day. But frankly, even if I wanted to sell my spot, who would be willing to buy their way in now anyway. JPOP has pooched this entire situation and screwed anyone who might need to back out in the process.
I've paid in half way on this and while I'm not totally assuming my money is gone, I've gotten to the point where I'll be really excited when (if) I find out I owe the rest because the game is ready. I don't have this level of skepticism with any of the other pre-orders, even though several are technically with lesser know commodities.

If I'm told right even the mg owners haven't seen a flipping game or full working populated pf layout

#577 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

What was the nature of your comment that got you blocked? How much did it differ from what I posted?

I have no idea which one actually. I never got any feedback. But I have NEVER posted anything that could be considered vulgar, profanity, hateful or mean.

I have a feeling it was about my asking for more updates or pointing out that there hasn't been an update in weeks, what's going on, what's the status, etc. Which I still believe are valid questions. I don't think my comments differed much from yours, but it was before the tide turned which now seems to be happening on the RAZA blog.

#578 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I'm sure who ever owns the rights to the movie mars attacks will come after him for using a alien that looks exactly like theirs does

image-633.jpg 41 KB

image-430.jpg 22 KB

image-168.jpg 303 KB

The martian in a suit has been around since the atomic age. I doubt if there is any copyrights on file for it. Bring on the Pinside lawyers....mars-attacks.jpg

#579 5 years ago

It's funny how so many of you who have preordered are complaining about the turnaround of John's games fully aware how masterful the creative force is (greatest Pin designer ever?) along with how darn right rare these games are actually gonna be once released. If I just had the resources to be in on all 3 of Zidware's games it would be a no brainer.

I guess JPops games reach into artsy-fartsy territory and not everyone has the eye or taste or patience for that sort of thing, I get that, and some of you just want modern high quality entertaining pins as soon as possible there are so many other options out and about. Go for them! JPop is one of kind talent that seems to take forever doing the shit that he does with the aim of producing work that is one of kind - GET OFF THE MAN'S NUTS

#580 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Call it whatever you want or call John himself. What part of that don't you get? Others here have confirmation cards from John. You know, Jpop

What I'm saying is pretty simple, as an owner he should keep me informed better. I haven't received any 'confirmation card' whatever that is, or have I read anywhere on his blog, or received an email or phone update that the number of MG's was increasing. I don't think I'm the only one. Personally I think it would be better to inform your customers directly rather than have it leaked out on pinside.

#581 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

What I'm saying is pretty simple, as an owner he should keep me informed better. I haven't received any 'confirmation card' whatever that is, or have I read anywhere on his blog, or received an email or phone update that the number of MG's was increasing. I don't think I'm the only one. Personally I think it would be better to inform your customers directly rather than have it leaked out on pinside.

Uhhh, yeah, I'm with you 1000% on that. We are all in the same boat with the secrecy thing!

Obviously at least 25 other people knew about the additional MG's long before I ever said anything, and as far as that goes, no idea how that could be some secret anyhow or the fact that some of the original 25 didn't know?

But then it started at 13, went to 17 and then to 25. You guys should want 50, otherwise its not gonna get done. He's gonna need the $$$ to complete them.

As for the communication, he's just the "mad professor", that needs an assistant to say the least!

#582 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Uhhh, yeah, I'm with you 1000% on that. We are all in the same boat with the secrecy thing!
Obviously at least 25 other people knew about the additional MG's long before I ever said anything, and as far as that goes, no idea how that could be some secret anyhow or the fact that some of the original 25 didn't know?
But then it started at 13, went to 17 and then to 25. You guys should want 50, otherwise its not gonna get done. He's gonna need the $$$ to complete them.
As for the communication, he's just the "mad professor", that needs an assistant to say the least!

This is spot on in every sentance!

Get this man a drink on me!

#583 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Quoted from iceman44:

Before two very good guys get heated over a misunderstanding and MG owners lose unity....

Iceman, I think you're misinterpreting what NYP was saying. As much as it may have appeared to be, it wasn't really a jab at you when he said "it's a rumor started by Iceman." Instead I read it to mean......

hey I'm an owner of MG and RAZA, when I signed up and put my $17k down toward MG I was told 13 maybe 17 units were being produced...now I'm hearing through some guy on a forum that the new number is 40 or 50. He has to be starting a rumor because surely JPOP would have done what was right and informed all the MG owners he was upping the number. Heck, it's not only the right thing to do so but one could argue to a degree legally required. I have to have faith in JPOP that he wouldn't do something like that so until JPOP himself tells me he's producing 50, I'm going to believe it's still only 17. Communication JPOP, communication.

But then again maybe that's just what I'm thinking. I too never received a notice of any kind, not snail-mail, not email, nothing. Heck, something like that really should be sent out certified mail.

#584 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

It's funny how so many of you who have preordered are complaining about the turnaround of John's games fully aware how masterful the creative force is (greatest Pin designer ever?) along with how darn right rare these games are actually gonna be once released.

Dunno about greatest ever.. I've owned 4 of his games over the last 14 years, and have sold all 4 of them. WCS94 is probably his best (it lasted the longest here) .. TOTAN is beautiful but boring, CV is deep but clunky and has you shooting the same three shots over and over, and SWep1 is just bad. ToM never interested me.

I always got the impression JPOP was more interested in elaborate toys, magnet tricks and visual art, and not so much on actual gameplay.

#585 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I remember doing some quick math after hearing the original MG announcement.. 15 games at 12K each (or was it 12 at 15K?) .. anyway, ~$200K budget to design, build and ship a new machine completely from scratch? Not gonna happen

Frankly, anyone still in for MG (or RAZA or AIW or whatever else) should hope he sells hundreds, if not thousands, so there's actually money to get them done.

#586 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

It's funny how so many of you who have preordered are complaining about the turnaround of John's games fully aware how masterful the creative force is (greatest Pin designer ever?) along with how darn right rare these games are actually gonna be once released. If I just had the resources to be in on all 3 of Zidware's games it would be a no brainer.

I guess JPops games reach into artsy-fartsy territory and not everyone has the eye or taste or patience for that sort of thing, I get that, and some of you just want modern high quality entertaining pins as soon as possible there are so many other options out and about. Go for them! JPop is one of kind talent that seems to take forever doing the shit that he does with the aim of producing work that is one of kind - GET OFF THE MAN'S NUTS

At the time we were signing up, there was a 'schedule' something like 18 month (ish) not set in stone, but it's getting close to be double that now and not even close to done. We have no idea if any of the projects are close to anything playable. For all I know we may still be in the first half of the process, this was never hinted at, it's not like John said this might take 4-6 years (or else few people would have been interested).

I don't think there would be so much grinding as you see here if we were seeing progress on the private blog. We give him a long leash, but all we see are bits and pieces such as flashers or hinges or pop bumpers. If John was close, I would expect him to show something substantial. It's almost as if he's still in the concept phase.

#587 5 years ago

I think a lot of us were expecting something significant at this expo. It can't be business as usual anymore, something has to change.

#588 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think a lot of us were expecting something significant at this expo. It can't be business as usual anymore, something has to change.

Well that is what John said, "big reveal coming". I don't get it.

We are all good Multiball1, NYP, I really don't know what to think either. Had I already put down 17k it would be very concerning. My understanding was that there would be more pins and maybe a little lower price for everybody and something additional for the early adopters. Who knows. We are all on this crazy ride together.

I've been in RAZA for a long time now and signed up for AIW.

I can honestly say I have no clue how much I have paid in to RAZA its been that long or where things stand on the payment schedule.

What I hope happens is John can get a good "financial partner" to help budget and get these pins built and out the door.

#589 5 years ago

i have more confidence in vonnie d then this company.

All those patents bull shit stories, and then coming up with ripped off mars attack art....

18 months now? And he has nothing to show. Nothing to tell. He does not respond on emails, questions, etc etc....

Get out asap would be my advise. You can have 2 awesome NIBs for the money.

#590 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Based on johns comment yesterday about a great expo showing and all the posts here to the contrary, I'm wondering if he doesn't realize that this is a problem? Living in a bubble perhaps?

#591 5 years ago

Maybe you owners should get together with your own group and start pressuring him collectively
. I.e., manage him a bit.

#592 5 years ago

All I know is I've been trying to get a refund for months now...

#593 5 years ago

Chrisvw ,
That's my theory . I believe in his world it's all good. He thinks he brought cool stuff and it's all good. This is exactly the problem

#594 5 years ago

Kind of interesting
But my buddy Keith was in on RAZA and wanted a MG during the tour yesterday.
He had cash but jpop told him he could not take the cash yet but took down his name and said he would inform him when he could get a spot.

#595 5 years ago

Much longer than 18 months.

RAZA was announced February 2012 (32 months ago). Magic Girl was July 2011 (39 months ago).

#596 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Kind of interesting
But my buddy Keith was in on RAZA and wanted a MG during the tour yesterday.
He had cash but jpop told him he could not take the cash yet but took down his name and said he would inform him when he could get a spot.

That's interesting...

Can you give us a NDA friendly summary of what you saw? Anything close to completetion? Did it look like he was getting ready to start production? What % would you say we are through this? Did you see anything that changed your mind, either good or bad?

#597 5 years ago

Yeah I want to post on the wordpress thread but I can't with my iPhone (don't know why it just says 'user can not comment'

I will tomorrow when I have laptop access
The good and the bad

#598 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Yeah I want to post on the wordpress thread but I can't with my iPhone (don't know why it just says 'user can not comment'
I will tomorrow when I have laptop access
The good and the bad

I can't wait to hear it. I will wait to describe what I really think is going on.

#599 5 years ago

PDx - looking forward to your post. I have not been able to visit and want to know how things are going.

#600 5 years ago

Ice - you seem to have john's ear. Can you convince him to give us a state of the zidware union on the blogs? I think it would help him keep customers in the short run and help him with future customers by easing some of the current doubts that are floating around.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chatham, MA
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside