(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 486.
#5802 4 years ago

This whole situation has gone past the point of embarrassment. How John can just blissfully ignore 150 people who GAVE HIM OVER A MILLION DOLLARS and provided him with his own personal 3000 sqft dream pinball workshop complete with a CNC machine, 3D printer, large format printer, components, toys, parts, PC boards, computers, etc. all while not finishing a single game in 4 years just blows my goddamn mind. WTF is he even thinking at this point?

It is officially time for John to shit or get off the pot.

#5803 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

As much as he says he follows the bally/williams way, he isnt. He said in an interview that at bally/williams, they made whitewoods and the ones that flipped the best then were sent for a theme and art package.

The problem is that JPop's customers have been seeing full art on a box/playfield/plastics and they visualize the game as almost complete, when the case is the opposite: art is the only aspect of the game that isn't actually necessary for it to play.

While the B/W process guarantees art won't need to be reworked as the game is tweaked, I think JPop considers the visual aspects as important as the functional game play, so it may not be possible for him to do one without the other.

#5804 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I posted something before, about why John should keep his customers happy. It's most likely self evident. But just think, John probably has as customers his biggest supporters, the guys that went out on a limb for him and his ideas. They didn't do it for the actual pinball machine as much as for who was making the pinball machines. Also, only John's credibility was what enabled him to charge $17,000 for a pin. It's like people will spend $400K for a Rolls Royce but not for a Lexus.

Unless it's this Lexus ... $465,000 usd and they're all sold out.

image.jpg

#5805 4 years ago

hey john you deadbeat, pay your outstanding bills to the vendors, wtf are you thinking? time to shut this clown circus down and liquidate all the assets and reimburse whatever is left over to the good people that believed in you. its over, you are in way over your head, end this farce for everyone involved including yourself.

#5806 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

they made whitewoods and the ones that flipped the best then were sent for a theme and art package.

That quote sounds like EM-era thinking, because I know that's how things operated back then. You probably didn't see too much of this in the SS era (and absolutely not beyond).

#5807 4 years ago

But at what time in development are foam core and Carolina board replaced with a functioning wood playfield?

#5808 4 years ago

John is the most creative guy in pinball. It really sucks if he's having problems logistically. It might not be a bad thing for him to collaborate with those who have a natural knack for pinball business management so he can focus on just being a god damn pinball designer.

#5809 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

John is the most creative guy in pinball.

Lyman, Keefer, and Nordman may say otherwise.

#5810 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

What did they say?

#5812 4 years ago

indulge me

#5813 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's a small community - he's burned through just about everyone.
With no final boardset and no code this game is DOA.
FAST Pinball was going to help but John wouldn't even send them a MG PF.
Maybe because it wasn't done? If the PF can't be shot it can't be programmed.
Nobody wants to see John end up like Skit-B. But unless he's ready for change - or the project is taken over - he will.

The important point is, and as has been mentioned by others, there was a decent working board set and a fair amount of game code, graphics, os, service menus etc etc done, but when contractors aren't paid for their work, after awhile they tend to move on to other things. If you then cannot find other people willing to agree to your terms and work on the stuff, nothing happens.....

#5814 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Quoted from Pimp77:

the Ritchie bro's, Trudeau, and Borg... And Python just rolled over in his grave.

#5815 4 years ago

John is a 100 times more genius then i:am.
But i can make a whitewood in 3 months.
So why he cant.medcastle playfield.jpg

#5816 4 years ago

I have a new goal, to be able to plunk down 17 large on dream pin, cause that means I got money to blow. I just hope that nobody actually needs the money. What a mess..

#5817 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

It might not be a bad thing for him to collaborate with those who have a natural knack for pinball business management so he can focus on just being a god damn pinball designer.

Ya think? This guy is way over his head and worse yet, he has no idea that he is!

#5818 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think the "money left" issue is what is going to drive everything else going forward and that is what I hope to help him with if he'll let me.

I was thinking about this, and this needs to be hashed out. If he is playing his fiddle on the deck of a sinking Titanic, and there is no way to finish the games because the numbers don't add up, then he needs to be saved from himself.

It sounds like he has an accountant, and his taxes are (hopefully) current, but an accountant is not a CEO, and may have no idea what obligations John has to the owners, building machines, what work is left to do, what costs are left, BOM, etc.

John has been talking about finding some mythical investor for a couple of years now, but from what you've explained, he has no business plan or financials to pitch or show anyone. They just don't exist. He might be better off buying lottery tickets, better chance of getting money than having some "investor" visit his shop and giving him a big check because they like the shiny lights and don't do any due diligence (ie: US, the owners).

He may literally not have any idea where he stands, other than what is in his bank account. I hope he'll let you in, cause he probably has no clue.

#5819 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I wonder what percentage of RAZA owners would request a refund if they could get one?
And no, I'm not going to start a stupid poll.

I made that poll 2 months ago, 75% said they'd rather take their money than stay in the project. (57 people voted, however it's not scientific because people that don't actually have the pins on order could have also voted which would screw up the data).

I wonder if John knows this or cares. The only way for John to know (unless he reads this thread) is for all dissatisfied owner to call him up and say 'give me my refund or make progress to shipping a game in the next 6-10 months'. I mean shipping games not having a prototype. If John is not in a position to begin shipping games in the next 6-10 months (IMO) he should refund all money (maybe keep $1000 deposit) and re-collect money when he is close to shipping.

I think the frustration level has not gone down any in the past 2 months.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-are-in-on-mg-or-raza

#5820 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Unless it's this Lexus ... $465,000 usd and they're all sold out.
image.jpg

touché

#5821 4 years ago

I was ejected for 1 day from the SkitB Predator thread for writing this:

"And JPOP is, in fact, a thief who stole $7k from one vendor, and there are other vendors I'm sure. So me saying "he's not a nice guy" is fair."

The mods write:

"Unless you have concrete evidence on JPop, there is no grounds fr calling him a thief. That's how nasty rumors get started. If you have evidence, post it in the appropriate thread."

Didn't GLM admit this here? Oh well.

#5822 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

John is a 100 times more genius then i:am.
But i can make a whitewood in 3 months.
So why he cant.medcastle playfield.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Dude that's awesome! You taking preorders?

#5823 4 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

Didn't GLM admit this here? Oh well.

I don't think GLM gave a dollar value.
I believe the $7k number was posted second hand as what's owed to cointaker,
also I don't remember any numbers from the other disgruntled contractors that got "jpop'd"

#5824 4 years ago

It was 1000+ "boards" from GLM. Can only guess what kind of bill that is. And whatever Jpop's excuses are, apparently he has the boards, and GLM never got paid. Pretty simple.

#5825 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

GLM never got paid

shameful behavior.

#5826 4 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Dude that's awesome! You taking preorders?

Hahaha, No way....... only one will be made for myself.

I think it will be finished in time for the Dutch DPO november 2015.
Who;s curious look for Medieval Castle

#5827 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Hahaha, No way....... only one will be made for myself.
I think it will be finished in time for the Dutch DPO november 2015.
Who;s curious look for Medieval Castle

you got a thread of build progress?

#5828 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

you got a thread of build progress?

Yes, boutique and homebrew Medieval Castle

#5829 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Yes, boutique and homebrew Medieval Castle

Nice; you have shown more concrete progress on your game in that one pic than I have seen from John. And that is just sad.

#5830 4 years ago

I cant understand why people preorder and pay 1000+ dollars.
I want to play the game first before i buy.
Well if i can afford it.

Lets hope this tread ends with some good News some day.

#5831 4 years ago

Guys, the only thing right now that will light a match under John's butt is my creating a new thread in the general "All" section about him stealing money from Cointaker and GLM. A thief deserves to be (at the least) called out for it.

No one reads this thread. The mods banned me because they did not read the following:

Quoted from GLModular:

This is the post I made to the private owners thread:
"From my records GLM worked on and delivered approximately 16 different prototype PCBs and 4 production ready PCBs over the course of 2 years from March 2012 to October 2013, totaling approximately 1420 total boards built and delivered to Zidware.
Out of the 10 invoices that were sent to Zidware, two are outstanding
One of the invoices was for 4 different production ready PCBs (1122 in total). All four of the designs were 1st runs, although one was a modified version of a previously run prototype, all of which had been properly quoted and signed off on by John.
The second invoice was for 4 power supply units which were signed off on, but due to a heavily compressed time schedule to get them done for the 2013 Expo "reveal" (that didn't happen), a proper quote and invoice was sent afterwards.
By Expo 2013, the first invoice had already been past due by 4 months."

Quoted from GLModular:

When you deliver more than a thousand (approved and signed off on by John) PCB assemblies and you don't get paid for them, we're not talking about "not on board ... understandably unhappy".
I'm in manufacturing. I have lived and breathed it for 20+ years. I know how a typical bidding process works and usually, it's just another day at the office, win or lose.
The fact of the matter is, every project that I worked on and delivered to Zidware has FULL documentation. That is: Zidware requests a part, GLM quotes it, Zidware creates a PO, Zidware sends deposit check, GLM does the design work and sends it to Zidware for approval, Zidware approves the design, GLM produces the part, GLM delivers the part, GLM sends an invoice, Zidware pays invoice.
If the case were: Zidware requests a part, GLM quotes it, Zidware says "No thanks, someone was cheaper.", then I'd have no issues to gripe about. I'd have been more than happy to let someone else take it on (and be in this position). But that isn't how it went down.

Quoted from Aurich:

So I'm confused, you said Zidware pays invoice, but you didn't get paid. Were you paid for some things and not others?

Quoted from GLModular:

I was outlining the general process.
There are two invoices that were not paid by Zidware. Meaning GLM upheld it's part of the process (as outlined), but Zidware didn't complete the final part (paying the invoice).

Quoted from Aurich:

Got it, just wanted it to be clear since we're talking about this in public.
That sounds like a pretty crystal clear issue to me, not something about "unhappy prototype bidders" or whatever.

Quoted from GLModular:

The classification of a product has no bearing on the contractual business that occurred.
Zidware placed an order. Orders were fulfilled. Payment was not received. End-Of-Story.

Quoted from Aurich:

The fact that he's paid 8 invoices and now suddenly refuses to pay 2 of them, and then is showing a third game ... well, it's hard to read it as anything other than him being broke and trying to use the 3rd game to raise capital.
Edit: I don't mean to be alarmist by the way, and I have no other facts, it's just that we know he owes Cointaker $7k, he won't pay GLM for obvious work, and he's pushing something aimed at new buyers who aren't maybe burned out. Not really any good scenarios based on that info.

Quoted from benheck:

It's a small community - he's burned through just about everyone.

But GLM and Cointaker might not want that, I don't know.

What do you guys think?

#5832 4 years ago

Bad idea CT's on the owners FB page
He said there's still hope

#5833 4 years ago

Apparently Pingraffix is now on board as a vendor. I warned them they might want to get paid in advance before production quantities are sent.

#5834 4 years ago

I just meant those 3 are more creative than him.

#5835 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I just meant those 3 are more creative than him.

ah whoops, I was thinking they said something similar to what Steve Ritchie said.

#5836 4 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Really? I mean, it's just your opinion, and you're of course welcome to it, but based on what exactly?

WCS was only finished with outside help. No one actually thinks the P2K Star Was game is anything but garbage.

So there TOTAN, TOM, and CV. Which are beautiful games, and a great trilogy. Clever stuff on them. Not disputing that. But I'm not sure they're really enough to elevate someone to "most creative guy in pinball". Sure isn't for me.

They're also not particularly stunning in the rules department, a pretty consistent weakness in his titles. And obviously not something he really cares all that much about apparently, given that he's obviously still more interested in making things pretty than actually deep or playable.

#5837 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

They're also not particularly stunning in the rules department, a pretty consistent weakness in his titles.

This is definitely true, but I don't know that's really his fault?

And I personally don't have a serious problem with someone who says he's one of the most creative guys in pinball. He's done some great stuff for sure. I love the layouts on most of his designs. The DMD location on CV was a great idea.

#5838 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So there TOTAN, TOM, and CV. Which are beautiful games, and a great trilogy. Clever stuff on them. Not disputing that. But I'm not sure they're really enough to elevate someone to "most creative guy in pinball". Sure isn't for me.

I would say Steve Ritchie probably has the most hit titles under his belt (hence the title "king"), followed by Pat Lawlor.

#5839 4 years ago

The mods banned me because they did not read the following:

I think they ejected you because you weren't adding much productive to the conversation, and most of your posts were written with the intent to fire everyone up. That just doesn't seem too healthy...there are better ways to get your point across.

Sorry.
Pete

#5840 4 years ago

Guys, the only thing right now that will light a match under John's butt is my creating a new thread in the general "All" section about him stealing money from Cointaker and GLM. A thief deserves to be (at the least) called out for it.
No one reads this thread. The mods banned me because they did not read the following:

But GLM and Cointaker might not want that, I don't know.
What do you guys think?

I am astonishingly embarrassed for you.

#5841 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And I personally don't have a serious problem with someone who says he's one of the most creative guys in pinball. He's done some great stuff for sure.

He said "the most" not one of... just sayin'

#5842 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

. No one actually thinks the P2K Star Was game is anything but garbage.

So you speak for everyone? Cool.

And you're wrong.

Chris

#5843 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

He said "the most" not one of... just sayin'

I know.

And I don't really have a problem with it.

Just sayin'.

#5844 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I know.
And I don't really have a problem with it.
Just sayin'.

He's totally one of.. but not close to being the most.

#5845 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

He's totally one of.. but not close to being the most.

If you agree that he's one of...I don't understand the conclusion of "not close" to the most.

It's all a matter of opinion anyway, so who cares? My personal opinion is that I don't have a problem with someone saying he's the most creative guy in pinball, even if I don't personally agree with that opinion. Close enough for me.

#5846 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

So you speak for everyone? Cool.
And you're wrong.
Chris

Well I'm obviously generalizing. If you like it then you're of course welcome to. I've never met anyone who cared for it. Snooze fest is the general opinion.

I'll revise: Star Wars Episode 1 is rarely held up with any high regard as far as games go. And fine, P2K was new, the company's pinball devision was about to be axed, so it goes.

My point is he really only has 3 solid games that are his, and that's just not enough for me to say greatest of all time compared the the field of other people. My opinion!

#5847 4 years ago

I think we can agree he has enough going on for him that was able to sell people machines that were thoughts in his head priced between $10k and $17k. Whether you agree or not, there is/was a reputation there.

The problem obviously is as we're learning it was a "team" effort responsible for those great titles.

And now here we are.

#5848 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I would say Steve Ritchie probably has the most hit titles under his belt (hence the title "king"), followed by Pat Lawlor.

The problem with SR is he always puts out the same layout with a few minor tweaks. Nordmans games are always different. Nordman should be the "king" from a design + creativity standpoint.

#5849 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The problem with SR is he always puts out the same layout with a few minor tweaks. Nordmans games are always different. Nordman should be the "king" from a design + creativity standpoint

I concur.. nordman is a pretty darn good designer

#5850 4 years ago

and still no updates, no games, no..........

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Olathe, KS
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside