(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 491.
#5701 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

No we were asking on pinside why he was spending his time on AIW instead of finishing MG and RAZA. And he freaked.

Wow, I completely missed that. When did this "freak out" happen?

#5702 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

No we were asking on pinside why he was spending his time on AIW instead of finishing MG and RAZA. And he freaked.

I think the truth is that JPop just truly enjoys "Arts and Crafts" day vs. doing the less creative "real" work of getting machines actually built and coded. Once he finishes mocking up one game with foamcore and artwork it's simply time to move onto the next.... In his fantasy world every day is "Arts and Crafts" day.

#5703 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Wow, I completely missed that. When did this "freak out" happen?

I believe he's referring to this:

Quoted from jazzmaster:

I guess posting here is one way to get his attention..... from the blog:
"All,
I have had a bunch of folks message me about items from this blog appearing on public forums like “Pinside”. These items are not meant to be distributed but for the owners here only. The items / ideas / designs and illustrations on this blog are protected by United States ©Copyright and need to be kept as “trade secrets” until public viewing is ready.
If you are the person or know the person, please stop immediately as great harm is being done. Jpop"
So much for the "opening of the gates" policy.

The Great Harm.

#5704 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I believe he's referring to this:

Quoted from jazzmaster:

I guess posting here is one way to get his attention..... from the blog:
"All,
I have had a bunch of folks message me about items from this blog appearing on public forums like “Pinside”. These items are not meant to be distributed but for the owners here only. The items / ideas / designs and illustrations on this blog are protected by United States ©Copyright and need to be kept as “trade secrets” until public viewing is ready.
If you are the person or know the person, please stop immediately as great harm is being done. Jpop"
So much for the "opening of the gates" policy.

Thanks! I somehow missed that. I assume that was in the AIW blog? He definitely didn't mention anything about it in the RAZA blog. So I guess John pulled a 180. Not surprising, but very disappointing.

#5705 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

JPop just truly enjoys "Arts and Crafts" day vs. doing the less creative "real" work of getting machines actually built and coded. Once he finishes mocking up one game with foamcore and artwork it's simply time to move onto the next

Add to that burnout, magic girl is what 4.5 years in the making? I don't care HOW passionate you are about pinball, that's a long time to work on anything. It's no wonder why there's 2 other pinball projects, the KISS prototype, a $500 neon clock. JPOP isn't slow, he's just bored.

#5706 9 years ago

I have a feeling jpop has a secondary account name to read these threads

Jpop take your nada and stick it where the sun don't shine.. keep hiding behind it..

#5707 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I have a feeling jpop has a secondary account name to read these threads
Jpop take your nada and stick it where the sun don't shine.. keep hiding behind it..

A couple years ago I saw a 'jpop' on Multimorphic's forums. Not 100% sure if it was him though, as anyone could have signed up with the name jpop.

#5708 9 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

A couple years ago I saw a 'jpop' on Multimorphic's forums. Not 100% sure if it was him though, as anyone could have signed up with the name jpop.

That is him. I bought his old p-roc and PDBs based on an ad he posted there.

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=628

#5709 9 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Wow

#5710 9 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Huh. Guess that was him! Looking at the job posting on pinballinventor.org, I coulda done that...and not get paid. Awww..

Looks like he was quite active on the forums, looking back.

#5711 9 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

That's because it's ok to spy on other dudes, but it's "great harm" if they see your stuff.

Is there a name for this psychological condition?

rd

#5712 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That's because it's ok to spy on other dudes, but it's "great harm" if they see your stuff.
Is there a name for this psychological condition?
rd

Yes. But I am not an armchair psychiatrist.

I think someone who still has John's ear should explain the "great harm" he has done, well, ... by not doing anything to get even a funcioning MG prototype together.

As other people have said, even IF you had a hardware complete game that was production ready, you still have the small matter of:
- actually picking a boardset
- coding it, and making it "not crappy"
- video creation/integration, sound / voice effect creation

And actually producing it. I am sure I missed a thousand small details as well.

#5713 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Add to that burnout, magic girl is what 4.5 years in the making? I don't care HOW passionate you are about pinball, that's a long time to work on anything. It's no wonder why there's 2 other pinball projects, the KISS prototype, a $500 neon clock. JPOP isn't slow, he's just bored.

My impression is that he quickly jumped from MG into multiple projects, effectively delaying them all as he is only one person. So it's more of a lack of a focus in the first place than burnout.

#5714 9 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Huh. Guess that was him! Looking at the job posting on pinballinventor.org, I coulda done that...and not get paid. Awww..
Looks like he was quite active on the forums, looking back.

LOL i responded to this post, talked to him awhile about it, then was told by friends that i wont be paid and discontinued such talks

#5715 9 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

LOL i responded to this post, talked to him awhile about it, then was told by friends that i wont be paid and discontinued such talks

He's not a "nice guy".

#5716 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yes. But I am not an armchair psychiatrist.
I think someone who still has John's ear should explain the "great harm" he has done, well, ... by not doing anything to get even a functioning MG prototype together.

Believe me, I am trying. And I am a virtual nobody in the pinball world, so take that for what it's worth.

Chris

#5717 9 years ago

STILL looking for a programmer:
http://pinballinventor.org/jobs.html

If (when) nobody wants to work with him, how are any of these going to go beyond a basic flipping machine with no rulesets, no animations, heck not even basic scoring? Is JPOP going to teach himself to code and do that himself as well? If that's the case, you might be seeing them run on mission pinball platform since it seems to be the most user friendly, but that might require to go back to PROC hardware.
giphy[1].gifgiphy[1].gif

#5718 9 years ago

it is worth clicking on that link just to read the "job descriptions"...

#5719 9 years ago

Wow, good luck finding a programmer.

He would be better off trolling college recruiters for someone that doesn't know any better and will take a $45k job right out of college.

#5720 9 years ago

Just out of curiosity - Was the NDA written in Comic Sans?

Chris

#5721 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

He would be better off trolling college recruiters for someone that doesn't know any better and will take a $45k job right out of college.

Entry level programmers out of college are now making 65k to 70k out here in the midwest, it's really escalated the past few years.

#5722 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Just out of curiosity - Was the NDA written in Comic Sans?
Chris

There was no NDA for AIW.

#5723 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

yup...

i used to be a programmer before i exited the rat race... if i had even bothered to apply after reading that job description, here's how i think that interview would go:

john: (spiel about inventing games, etc.)..
me: ok, what are the requirements for the project?
john: i have them all in my head...
me: no written design document with requirements?
john: why would you need that?
me: thanks for your time...

#5724 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

He has no money left. They would have to work for free.

#5725 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Entry level programmers out of college are now making 65k to 70k out here in the midwest, it's really escalated the past few years.

Yeah, at this point his only hope is probably someone from Nigeria or the eastern bloc that is advertising on oDesk.com for $7/hour.

#5726 9 years ago

or a naive pinball fan

#5727 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

My students make about the same at graduation, though the upper end is higher (and should be for the greater Boston area).

There are programmers (and skilled ones at that) who will work in a barter situation, largely for the "fun of it", fwiw. The trouble is that everything coming to light surey taints the idea that it would be as fun as one might hope.

#5728 9 years ago

Maybe we should tell him just to ship us the cabinets and populated playfield and call it a day and we go with FAST/Mission on our own or something. Just to get this thing done. What a nightmare.

This cannot run on indefinitely, there will be a wall that will be hit at some point.

#5729 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Maybe we should tell him just to ship us the cabinets and populated playfield and call it a day and we go with FAST/Mission on our own or something. Just to get this thing done. What a nightmare.
This cannot run on indefinitely, there will be a wall that will be hit at some point.

the wall was hit a long time ago... i think people have realized now that it will be impossible to get over the wall...

#5730 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Has anyone talked to JPOP in the last week or so? I refuse to join facebook so I am not privy to the info on the private group site. Anything worthwhile going on there?

#5731 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

If the eventual software sucks as badly as we fear (lets pretend he "completes" it, but it is a shadow of a game that is in no way close to modern Pinball rule standards) we might want to reprogram it anyways (Cactus Canyon Continued style).

#5732 9 years ago

The FAST board is still not for sale yet. MPF is incomplete. What's the rush?

MPF uses pyGame for video. As someone who (co-?)wrote the original HD VGA fork of pyprocgame using Pygame (and recently re-wrote the new hardware accelerated version) allow me to assure you that doing this:

http://pinballinventor.org/games/magicgirl/preview/33/wizardry.html

In Pygame would be rather difficult without some very beefy computer driving the game. There are ways to do FMV in another process (via udp or similar) controlling the graphics and we've seen quite a few variants of this on the pinballcontrollers forums over the years. So, if you want to make good on John's goals for this game, you're not likely to do it easily/soon with fast+MPF.

There's also potentially no need to order new boards if there are enough QPC boards for every machine. Others have stated that the QPC board has been made to run pyprocgame so I assume that means they ported Libpinproc. Since MPF leverages Libpinproc for p-roc support (Brian, do not crucify me for oversimplifying) then the QPC can probably run pyprocgame code OR MPF code.

There's certainly a way to get this done. Flushing what has been done already is almost certainly not the way.

Quoted from frolic:

#5733 9 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

What's the rush?

I think jpop has a t-shirt with that.

#5734 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That would be a fun idea, however, there's no way he could charge $17K for it. Maybe $2K for the cab/populated PF/boards. If not the boards, at least put the wiring on molex connectors to hook it up to PROC, FAST, a Commodore 64, etc.

#5735 9 years ago

I'm not saying my idea is great or perfect, but this is the state we're at, trying to figure out some sort of solution to a problem he barely acknowledges. And that is if we get anything for our money at all.

#5736 9 years ago

I found this line interesting.

"We are a boutique interactive studio designing in the social-mobile space of today. Creating media for interactive games, handheld toys and full-size pinball machines is what we do."

#5737 9 years ago

Here's the smell test for future pre-orders:

Are you paying them to BUILD a game, or DEVELOP one?

(I'll let you guess which choice is the bad one)

#5738 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Are you paying them to BUILD a game, or DEVELOP one?

Wait, paying some one to develop one isn't bad if you know that Stern or JJP is going to do the build

#5739 9 years ago

Maybe change that to just Stern, unless you've got a Hobbit sitting in your gameroom and aren't telling us.

But yes, Stern's a well oiled machine. They're always selling, so they've got cash flow to be always developing.

#5740 9 years ago

Here's a quote from jpop on the p-roc forums:
"Pinball is tough to do anyway, and games need a full time programmer/designer leading (at a minimum)."
6742.gif6742.gif

#5741 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Trick question:Nobody will pre-order any more. The answer is pay them to DELIVER an already-built & developed machine.

#5742 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

He has no money left

Speculation, maybe true but a guess on your part.

#5743 9 years ago

Skit-b had a "final" machine and was collecting money for the build, so Ben's test while good isn't perfect.

"Cash & Carry" really is the only safe way to buy a pinball. Anything else is putting your money at risk.

I do think some companies have built reputations though to deliver a product, so they'll be able to continue being paid on build (Spooky being one of them).

#5744 9 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Trick question:Nobody will pre-order any more. The answer is pay them to DELIVER an already-built & developed machine.

I think in terms of funding pinball startups the pre-order model is pretty much over. In fact, I think crowd-sourced pinball projects (kickstarter, etc) are dead as well.

#5745 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

There was no NDA for AIW.

So ... he just freaked and deleted all the videos, boning the AIW buyers by the way, over ... nothing?

I dunno what to even say anymore guys. It's obvious John is reading this stuff, no one believes a bunch of people messaged him over the AIW videos appearing in this thread. But he obviously is too wrapped up in his own head to hear anything other than what he wants to hear.

I did what I could behind the scenes, but that failed. I know it's not my job to save this, but I feel for everyone feeling trapped. John, if you're reading this, you're really trashing the legacy you built up now, it's sad.

#5746 9 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

The FAST board is still not for sale yet. MPF is incomplete. What's the rush?
MPF uses pyGame for video. As someone who (co-?)wrote the original HD VGA fork of pyprocgame using Pygame (and recently re-wrote the new hardware accelerated version) allow me to assure you that doing this:
http://pinballinventor.org/games/magicgirl/preview/33/wizardry.html
In Pygame would be rather difficult without some very beefy computer driving the game. There are ways to do FMV in another process (via udp or similar) controlling the graphics and we've seen quite a few variants of this on the pinballcontrollers forums over the years. So, if you want to make good on John's goals for this game, you're not likely to do it easily/soon with fast+MPF.
There's also potentially no need to order new boards if there are enough QPC boards for every machine. Others have stated that the QPC board has been made to run pyprocgame so I assume that means they ported Libpinproc. Since MPF leverages Libpinproc for p-roc support (Brian, do not crucify me for oversimplifying) then the QPC can probably run pyprocgame code OR MPF code.
There's certainly a way to get this done. Flushing what has been done already is almost certainly not the way.

in english please

#5747 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Speculation, maybe true but a guess on your part.

Look, he owes some serious money to some serious vendors. So if he's not broke, then he's a petty criminal who I would never want to support. Either way, it's bad.

#5748 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

Look, he owes some serious money to some serious vendors. So if he's not broke, then he's a petty criminal who I would never want to support. Either way, it's bad.

What gets me is the crazy high price tag associated with his proposed machines. He charges as much as for a new car, yet won't pay vendors, a lawyer(who he's going to really need soon), or programmers? And yet, looking in the early part of this thread, he's praised as being this big messiah of pinball. The collection plate comes around, and people are throwing money at him. Yet, all that's being delivered(after pulling teeth) is just a few sketches & arts & crafts projects here and there.

I am stumped. No, not blaming any people giving him money, I am just confused at how it got this far. Make-believe product with real money.

#5749 9 years ago

Sure. Knowing literally nothing about the contents of the code beyond the fact that it is supposedly far along and written for PyProcgame and needs a separate "graphics engine" (something else to let cool high resolution video/effects happen on the screen). My guess would be either Flash or Unity, since both are mentioned in the job description. Given that the screenshots show mostly 2D graphics and Unity2D is a relatively recent development, my guess is that thing might be Flash, but it could just as easily be a custom OpenGL, SDL, Allegro, whatever graphics engine. I don't think it's PyGame given my experiences with it, but I could be very wrong if the frame rate is low and the updates take place mostly in small regions.

Anyway, you asked for English:

The software can be finished by someone without changing the current hardware (QPC) or the current software platform (PyProcGame). You could probably run some MPF derived game on the QPC hardware if you were so inclined.

As for finishing the game for PyProcGame, I can name about 5+ people who can do it. They all hang out on the pinballcontrollers forum. I'm one of them.

#5750 9 years ago

So has Iceman given up on this? Are we back to square one?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/115 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.