(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 113 of 486.
#5601 4 years ago

54075540.jpg

#5602 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

I'm still in the process of sifting through information, so bear with me. From the looks of things, there is good evidence to support the concept that some of the projects that were assigned to GLM may have also been given to other parties to work on concurrently. That would definitely lend a lot of weight to my theory as to why some vendors (GLM included) weren't paid for their work.
I'm guessing that this is one of the many reasons why none of the Vendors were given access to the blogs.

Yikes, exactly what work did you do, and what were you owed?

#5603 4 years ago
#5604 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Worst case scenario is you get your money back.

I find it funny when people with pre-orders say this. No, the WORST possible scenario is you get nothing including your money back.

#5605 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I find it funny when people with pre-orders say this. No, the WORST possible scenario is you get nothing including your money back.

That's already the current scenario. And it's not funny.

#5606 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

"Some vendors are probably upset because he has checked out many, going with the cheapest option for quality parts when he can, and those that were not on board after prototyping are understandably unhappy."

I'm guessing that whatever the truth is behind that statement is the source of the problem here.

That quote is both hilarious and insulting! When you deliver more than a thousand (approved and signed off on by John) PCB assemblies and you don't get paid for them, we're not talking about "not on board ... understandably unhappy".

I'm in manufacturing. I have lived and breathed it for 20+ years. I know how a typical bidding process works and usually, it's just another day at the office, win or lose.

The fact of the matter is, every project that I worked on and delivered to Zidware has FULL documentation. That is: Zidware requests a part, GLM quotes it, Zidware creates a PO, Zidware sends deposit check, GLM does the design work and sends it to Zidware for approval, Zidware approves the design, GLM produces the part, GLM delivers the part, GLM sends an invoice, Zidware pays invoice.

If the case were: Zidware requests a part, GLM quotes it, Zidware says "No thanks, someone was cheaper.", then I'd have no issues to gripe about. I'd have been more than happy to let someone else take it on (and be in this position). But that isn't how it went down.

#5607 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

The fact of the matter is, every project that I worked on and delivered to Zidware has FULL documentation. That is: Zidware requests a part, GLM quotes it, Zidware creates a PO, Zidware sends deposit check, GLM does the design work and sends it to Zidware for approval, Zidware approves the design, GLM produces the part, GLM delivers the part, GLM sends an invoice, Zidware pays invoice.

So I'm confused, you said Zidware pays invoice, but you didn't get paid. Were you paid for some things and not others?

#5608 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So I'm confused, you said Zidware pays invoice, but you didn't get paid. Were you paid for some things and not others?

I was outlining the general process.

There are two invoices that were not paid by Zidware. Meaning GLM upheld it's part of the process (as outlined), but Zidware didn't complete the final part (paying the invoice).

#5609 4 years ago

"Wow, the balls on that guy!"

image.jpg

#5610 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think he was giving a typical example. He hasn't been paid.

#5611 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

There are two invoices that were not paid by Zidware. Meaning GLM upheld it's part of the process (as outlined), but Zidware didn't complete the final part (paying the invoice).

Got it, just wanted it to be clear since we're talking about this in public.

That sounds like a pretty crystal clear issue to me, not something about "unhappy prototype bidders" or whatever.

#5612 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

That's already the current scenario. And it's not funny.

Funny strange. Not haha.

#5613 4 years ago

As someone who was Predator'd, I would recommend you guys check the dates when you paid and what types of protections your CC offers you if you paid with it. I haven't followed closely so I'm not sure how people were paying.

Those dates and protections could end up being critical if you need them. I have no idea what's going to happen with Jpop, but it's best to be prepared.

And keep an eye on how things go with us (I figure you probably already are). We are the guinea pigs, but it may end up being useful to you, if necessary.

Hopefully Jpop gets these things sorted out and none of the above will matter. Good luck guys.

#5614 4 years ago

Its sad how quickly he responded to aiw leaks vs .. Well every thing else.

#5615 4 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

As someone who was Predator'd, I would recommend you guys check the dates when you paid and what types of protections your CC offers you if you paid with it. I haven't followed closely so I'm not sure how people were paying.
Those dates and protections could end up being critical if you need them. I have no idea what's going to happen with Jpop, but it's best to be prepared.
And keep an eye on how things go with us (I figure you probably already are). We are the guinea pigs, but it may end up being useful to you, if necessary.
Hopefully Jpop gets these things sorted out and none of the above will matter. Good luck guys.

This is why I jumped out of my chair a couple pages ago. Apparently, initial deposits were via Paypal but then later were by check!

BY CHECK, MAN!

#5616 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Its sad how quickly he responded to aiw leaks vs .. Well every thing else.

It's double sad he hasn't paid for products and work contracted... how many people/companies has he burned?!

#5617 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

It's double sad he hasn't paid for products and work contracted... how many people/companies has he burned?!

#5618 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

How much does he owe you,

and

what were the services that you performed for which he owes money?

#5619 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Curious what percent of the total contract did the 2 unpaid invoices represent?
50% paid 50% unpaid ect?

#5620 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

That quote is both hilarious and insulting! When you deliver more than a thousand (approved and signed off on by John) PCB assemblies and you don't get paid for them, we're not talking about "not on board ... understandably unhappy".
I'm in manufacturing. I have lived and breathed it for 20+ years. I know how a typical bidding process works and usually, it's just another day at the office, win or lose.
If the case were: Zidware requests a part, GLM quotes it, Zidware says "No thanks, someone was cheaper.", then I'd have no issues to gripe about. I'd have been more than happy to let someone else take it on (and be in this position). But that isn't how it went down.

The quote did not refer to actual parts orders like the one you describe (where the specs are confirmed and full order placed), but to one-off prototype development in the hope that the prototype will be accepted and ordered in quantity. Two different things.

#5621 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

The quote did not refer to actual parts orders like the one you describe (where the specs are confirmed and full order placed), but to one-off prototype development in the hope that the prototype will be accepted and ordered in quantity. Two different things.

Are you serious? what a sham!
Wind-Willows-DizRadio.jpg
Edit: pardon my enthusiasm, but pay your friggin' debts jpop!

#5622 4 years ago

Well we might as well see the PO/invoice now and clear the air.

#5623 4 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone who has money with JPop was able to pay him by credit card or Paypal. We are talking personal checks. At least that's how I paid when I was in, after my initial deposit that was paid by PayPal was refunded due to Zidware not setting up the PayPal account properly.

#5624 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

The classification of a product has no bearing on the contractual business that occurred.

Zidware placed an order. Orders were fulfilled. Payment was not received. End-Of-Story.

#5625 4 years ago

This is the post I made to the private owners thread:

"From my records GLM worked on and delivered approximately 16 different prototype PCBs and 4 production ready PCBs over the course of 2 years from March 2012 to October 2013, totaling approximately 1420 total boards built and delivered to Zidware.

Out of the 10 invoices that were sent to Zidware, two are outstanding

One of the invoices was for 4 different production ready PCBs (1122 in total). All four of the designs were 1st runs, although one was a modified version of a previously run prototype, all of which had been properly quoted and signed off on by John.

The second invoice was for 4 power supply units which were signed off on, but due to a heavily compressed time schedule to get them done for the 2013 Expo "reveal" (that didn't happen), a proper quote and invoice was sent afterwards.

By Expo 2013, the first invoice had already been past due by 4 months."

#5626 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I guess posting here is one way to get his attention..... from the blog:
"All,
I have had a bunch of folks message me about items from this blog appearing on public forums like “Pinside”.

"bunch of folks?". I'm sorry, I find this funny. Is anybody really on his side at this point?

#5627 4 years ago

I'm running out of fingers counting up the people jpop has ripped off... And his law dog comes on here to try & twist things.. what a shyster.

#5628 4 years ago

@ GLModular

Thanks for making some of the details public. Tough situation you are in.

#5629 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

This is why I jumped out of my chair a couple pages ago. Apparently, initial deposits were via Paypal but then later were by check!
BY CHECK, MAN!

Quoted from RobT:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone who has money with JPop was able to pay him by credit card or Paypal. We are talking personal checks. At least that's how I paid when I was in, after my initial deposit that was paid by PayPal was refunded due to Zidware not setting up the PayPal account properly.

I was afraid of that.

#5630 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

The classification of a product has no bearing on the contractual business that occurred.
Zidware placed an order. Orders were fulfilled. Payment was not received. End-Of-Story.

My comment was not directed to approved and fulfilled orders, including yours. Prototyping and samples do exist when soliciting vendors, and that general case is what I was speculating on, with no specific knowledge of particular vendors' situations. Please don't conflate the two.

#5631 4 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

"bunch of folks?". I'm sorry, I find this funny. Is anybody really on his side at this point?

Buyers are in a bind. Honestly, they SHOULD post pics of everything here...at this point, why not. However, if Jpop cries about it, he might not release any more pictures. So - they're complying with his wishes.

#5632 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Right. StevenP is saying his quote doesn't apply to you. We've talked outside this thread, I can confirm that's what he meant if that wasn't clear. Your claim sound totally legit to me.

Edit: Sorry, too slow, saw he just responded while I was typing.

#5633 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'm running out of fingers counting up the people jpop has ripped off... And his law dog comes on here to try & twist things.. what a shyster.

See above, no need to throw StevenP under the bus. I quoted his PM just to try and figure out if it could possibly be the source of a misunderstanding. It's obvious that's not the case here, and he agrees.

No need to attack each other, we're really all on the same side here. Even the people who are applying "tough love" want to see the games if at all possible. It's just time to be realistic about it all.

#5634 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Actually his lawyer hasn't been paid either, so let's not get too carried away.

#5635 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

And then 2014 came and went, now we are at the end of the first quarter of 2015 and it's really hard to believe that we have gone from rushing to get ready for the Expo 2013 "reveal" to I'm not sure what now.

Looks like the money issues started in mid 2013 and he's just been coasting on fumes for the last year and a half, maybe waiting for the investor to come along.

Get one prototype MG up and running. Why would John order all those boards and LED's for production when he obviously wasn't even close? I don't get the thinking.

This is why John needs to come on and clarify EVERYTHING. Communicate a little bit.

#5636 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Sorry gents.
Got too emotional. I'll bow out.

#5637 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I dunno, being called a 'shyster' is a new one for me! People I work with in real life would have a chuckle at that one. [EDIT: Gotta give props for "law dog" too!]

#5638 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

This is the post I made to the private owners thread:
"From my records GLM worked on and delivered approximately 16 different prototype PCBs and 4 production ready PCBs over the course of 2 years from March 2012 to October 2013, totaling approximately 1420 total boards built and delivered to Zidware.
Out of the 10 invoices that were sent to Zidware, two are outstanding
One of the invoices was for 4 different production ready PCBs (1122 in total). All four of the designs were 1st runs, although one was a modified version of a previously run prototype, all of which had been properly quoted and signed off on by John.
The second invoice was for 4 power supply units which were signed off on, but due to a heavily compressed time schedule to get them done for the 2013 Expo "reveal" (that didn't happen), a proper quote and invoice was sent afterwards.

Crazy to know that over a thousand boards have been sitting somewhere since 2013 and all we've seen (publicly) are a few unfinished prototypes.

#5639 4 years ago

I think most pre-buyers are (or at least should be) past the desire for "more pictures" at this point. $4750 for the other folks sucks. $17,000 for this really sucks. I hope it happens for those involved, I really do. And I understand those involved are between a rock and a hard place. I'm not on the hook, so I'll step out and wish everybody that is good luck.

#5640 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Crazy to know that over a thousand boards have been sitting somewhere since 2013 and all we've seen (publicly) are a few unfinished prototypes.

... By the time the games are assembled (assuming they are), the boards will be out of date; newer ones will be out, with more features!

#5641 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I dunno, being called a 'shyster' is a new one for me! People I work with in real life would have a chuckle at that one. [EDIT: Gotta give props for "law dog" too!]

I'm Glad you took it in good humor.

#5642 4 years ago

The part I find somewhat a bummer is that Jpop is a professional pinball designer...yet these guys:

wooly
amh
predator
TBL
full throttle

All started at the same time or later than he did, and they've had working prototypes at shows for a long time.

To be fair though, Jpop's games look a lot more complicated and beautiful than those, and he's working on multiple designs at the same time.

#5643 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'm Glad you took it in good humor.

I'm seriously trying to help these games get done, trying to persuade John to show more stuff publicly, etc. That's as a pinball hobbyist who really wants to see these games completed and shipped so everyone is happy. Apart from the pro bono IP work, I'm just a guy that emails and talks to John periodically. I'm not his official/unofficial rep except for the IP/legal stuff. And I've been posting here just to try to help in general. Yeah, THAT is going over really well!

#5644 4 years ago

I admit, I'm baffled at why Jpop is ordering $70000 in LEDs, and 1000 boards, for ... what exactly? He's nowhere close to a production game, what in the world are all those parts for?

#5645 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The part I find somewhat hilarious is that Jpop is a professional pinball designer...yet these guys:
wooly
amh
Predator
TBL
full throttle
All started at the same time or much later than he did, and they've had working prototypes at shows for a long time. Obviously something is very wrong somewhere.

That's the crux of the situation. JPop is a good designer. He sucks as a manufacturer and also is failing as a businessman. The designs are great. He just can't make them.

#5646 4 years ago

The good news for JPOP after all this BS is this: building a fully working MG and publicly revealing it will result in most people going back to gargling on his nuts!

#5647 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

And I've been posting here just to try to help in general. Yeah, THAT is going over really well!

You've discovered the curse of being helpful!

#5648 4 years ago

Here's hoping John would step up and take a few minutes of his time away from working on AIW, and honor the individual refund requests from MG and RAZA owners.

#5649 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I admit, I'm baffled at why Jpop is ordering $70000 in LEDs

1 too many zeros I hope?

#5650 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I admit, I'm baffled at why Jpop is ordering $70000 in LEDs, and 1000 boards, for ... what exactly? He's nowhere close to a production game, what in the world are all those parts for?

My guess (and I refuse to do anything more than guess anymore!) is they are production parts, of course, because the design and those parts are finalized. Artwork, cabling, parts specs etc. are basically done for MG from what I saw. Don't think he prioritized relatively 'standard' stuff like powering and controlling the games, having done that before (B/W, Zizzle etc.) So he focused on finalizing the layout, design, artwork, toys, sound, cabinet first. That is my guess. And only a guess, based on what I've seen. (And RAZA is not far behind wrt that stuff.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Olathe, KS
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 113 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside